Author Topic: Anybody else excited?  (Read 7775 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Anybody else excited?
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
... that February's a short month so you get to do your savings spreadsheet tomorrow?

icefr

• Bristles
Re: Anybody else excited?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:09:21 PM »
YES.

I will admit that I've already started updating some stuff based on estimates... And I've already scheduled the mortgage payment with extra principal :D

mm31

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
not so excited, I had to do my taxes this month. I'm looking forward to march, though

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:02:59 PM »
I'm on a 4-week budget to coincide with paychecks instead of monthly, so my "month" started over on Friday. :)  I feel like a little squirrell on paydays though, rolling mah acorns into little subsavings and Vanguards and fussing with my spreadsheet(s!).  Hehe. 

If I weren't in an office with five other people nearby, I'd probably be chirping and trilling too. 

c

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »
Lol, I was thinking the same thing on my way home tonight.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 05:21:56 PM »
YES! YES! YES!
My spreadsheets have been very good to me lately!  All my long-term calcs are done on 5% return (3% inflation), and in my DH's IRA we already passed the goal for 2013!!  ...so if we can just hang on to that gain for the rest of the year.

Whenever I start feeling a little impatient, annoyed, frustrated (insert adjective here), I just break-out my spreadsheets and reflect on the fact that I have less than 3 years and then my world of opportunities open up.... work part-time, contract work a few months per year, small business, stick it out 2 more years and then be completely done.... the possibilities are endless.

....ahhhh, marvelous spreadsheets!

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »
I do my spreadsheets every Friday, but it's a good week in that I get paid (I get a single monthly paycheck) and the husband gets paid (he gets a biweekly check) at the same time.

It's so satisfying to see everything going where it's supposed to go.

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
SUPREMELY excited.

Also, displeased that my dude decided to get cider and cheese as treats tonight. Couldn't you have waited until our new grocery budget on March 1, dude??

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 06:51:27 PM »
I'm supposed to buy whiskey tomorrow but I only have $16 left in my monthly budget.. oh it hurts.

But I'm really excited about March 1st as I have a whole bunch of brand new goals and challenges to work towards.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
Yes i love month end tally time, especially since my wife informed me that she is receiving a 15k bonus in a couple of weeks - add to this another 5k from our paychecks. Another 20k mortal wound dealt to our "working" years!!!!

The "Stache" grinds inexorably towards seven figures...

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
Yes!  Though I wait until the morning after the last day of the month so that the retirement accounts update to the end of the month figure.

Tomorrow is also payday for me, love it!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 02:50:59 AM »
I don't have to wait as long as you guys :) It's Feb 28 evening here already and I just finished updating the sheets.

PPOR equity up $800, mortgage offset cash up $1250, shares up $2900, super up $800

Pretty decent month up $5750 :) yippie

Rekreativc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 03:30:52 AM »
I am excited, although my fiscal months goes from 15 to 15. of the month, so it's halfway mark for me :)

I've had an expensive holiday (by mustacheian standards) this month so meeting my ordinary budget goals is out of the question. So now it's a race to see how well I can do even with the anchor dragging me down :) Wish me luck!

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 03:36:42 AM »
No, I miss my birthday this year. ;-)

MrSaturday

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 12:53:18 PM »
I'm excited because tomorrow I'll make my final mortgage payment.  My savings spreadsheet is about to go into turbo mode!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »
I'm excited because tomorrow I'll make my final mortgage payment.  My savings spreadsheet is about to go into turbo mode!

that is awesome! congratulations!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »
Since our mortgage is only $275 monthly we are not going to experience the euphoria that others do when we finally decide to kill it. With the rate we are paying (2.4%) I just can't bring myself to pay it off.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »
YES LAST DAY OF THE MONTH YEAH

On that note, is there anyone here who keeps an Access database for your finances? I am trying to design one for myself and getting stuck on how to design it.

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »
On that note, is there anyone here who keeps an Access database for your finances? I am trying to design one for myself and getting stuck on how to design it.

I tried that and decided I didn't really like Access, so I wrote my own software instead that runs on my home computer.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »

I tried that and decided I didn't really like Access, so I wrote my own software instead that runs on my home computer.

Nice! May I ask what it does?

I like Access, though, and I use it at work (but mostly on databases other people designed). Just getting tripped up on how to organize my data and what I want to get out of it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
No, I miss my birthday this year. ;-)

Well in three years.  In the meantime, happy sort of birthday!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 10:49:55 AM »

Nice! May I ask what it does?

I like Access, though, and I use it at work (but mostly on databases other people designed). Just getting tripped up on how to organize my data and what I want to get out of it.

It tracks my banking transactions and investments. I found a plugin that pulls data from Yahoo Finance, so it retrieves stock quotes to display how much things are currently worth. It means that instead of logging in to check every balance at the end of the month, I instead just have to log in to reconcile transactions. It has graphs, shows my past spending history, and plenty of other things. I mostly started it because Quicken didn't track both USD and CAD accounts (at least at the time, this was 5 years ago that I started this).

I like coding in my own time things that make my everyday life better and this is so much more flexible than spreadsheets :) It uses a simple MySQL database that I can backup. I don't like the Mint idea of someone else owning my data.

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »

Yes, I use an Access database (and an Excel spreadsheet that reads from it) for my finances. I like my graphs (as you can see on my journal thread) :).

I have tables that I enter things in for "Category", "SubCategory" (for hierarchical categories),  "NetWorth", "StandardPaycheck" (used to quickly add all the different line items on my paystub), and "Transaction" (amount, date, and category for all income and spending).

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy - it's too large to attach here or include in a PM.

Edit: As icefr says, if you've got the skills for it a real SQL db is a lot more flexible than access or a spreadsheet. I have quite a few unsightly hacks in mine to work around some of the limitations.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:07:12 PM by TLV »

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »

Yes, I use an Access database (and an Excel spreadsheet that reads from it) for my finances. I like my graphs (as you can see on my journal thread) :).

I have tables that I enter things in for "Category", "SubCategory" (for hierarchical categories),  "NetWorth", "StandardPaycheck" (used to quickly add all the different line items on my paystub), and "Transaction" (amount, date, and category for all income and spending).

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy - it's too large to attach here or include in a PM.

Edit: As icefr says, if you've got the skills for it a real SQL db is a lot more flexible than access or a spreadsheet. I have quite a few unsightly hacks in mine to work around some of the limitations.

Awesome, thanks. SQL is on my list of things to learn in 2013 but I'm not there yet.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!