Author Topic: Tithing, or otherwise giving money to a church  (Read 13685 times)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
Re: Tithing, or otherwise giving money to a church
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »
As a Lutheran the general rule of thumb passed down to me from family and the Lutheran Financial Services is the 10-10-80 rule.  10% to church, 10% to put away for the future and 80% to live on.  In that order.  No stuff until the church and saving are taken care of.  This isn't mustacian level advice, but if people follow it then they shouldn't drown in debt.

Too much of anything can be bad.  Balance is important.

When I had gobs of student loan debt, I still put in my %, and I also still put money aside for the future.  The loans took a little longer to pay off, but I keep up the habit of paying God and my future self first.  Everything else will fall in line. 

LV

Edit for last paragraph.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 06:36:19 PM by Loren Ver »

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2017, 06:54:52 PM »
I just wonder what happened to God helps those who help themselves.

That's not in the Bible.

Thankfully, this is blissfully none of my concern. The only actions I'll have to justify, should there actually be any moment in front of the scale, are my own. It's a pretty relaxing way to live.
Depends what's on the other side of the scale! I don't think anyone feels that confident when measured against perfection.

Tithing is a great tool that I use to combat selfishness. It's a constant reminder that were it not for a lot of mercy and grace, I wouldn't be in the privileged position that I am. I've been fortunate to never be in a position that I had to decide between tithing and paying down bad debt, but I can see how that would be quite the dilemma with the way that many churches emphasize giving or refuse to talk about monetary issues because it's seen as too personal.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »
I just wonder what happened to God helps those who help themselves.

That's not in the Bible.

Thankfully, this is blissfully none of my concern. The only actions I'll have to justify, should there actually be any moment in front of the scale, are my own. It's a pretty relaxing way to live.
Depends what's on the other side of the scale! I don't think anyone feels that confident when measured against perfection.

Tithing is a great tool that I use to combat selfishness. It's a constant reminder that were it not for a lot of mercy and grace, I wouldn't be in the privileged position that I am. I've been fortunate to never be in a position that I had to decide between tithing and paying down bad debt, but I can see how that would be quite the dilemma with the way that many churches emphasize giving or refuse to talk about monetary issues because it's seen as too personal.

Woah, you deleted out the bold part of the quote that I was specifically responding to. I was objecting to the idea that anyone here on earth has the right to look askance at what/how/if someone else chooses to tithe. That's strictly between a person and their god.

Sounds like you and I agree on why we personally tithe. I've got no argument with your post. Just, watch the quotes.

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »
Woah, you deleted out the bold part of the quote that I was specifically responding to. I was objecting to the idea that anyone here on earth has the right to look askance at what/how/if someone else chooses to tithe. That's strictly between a person and their god.

Sounds like you and I agree on why we personally tithe. I've got no argument with your post. Just, watch the quotes.
My bad, I didn't read far enough up to know the bold was from you and misinterpreted the statement! I see what you were saying now, and yes, I think we agree.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »

My bad, I didn't read far enough up to know the bold was from you and misinterpreted the statement! I see what you were saying now, and yes, I think we agree.

Cool. Thanks, yo!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!