Author Topic: Class of 2016  (Read 134030 times)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Class of 2016
« Reply #400 on: August 08, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »
Thanks for the updates, everyone! Gives the rest of us hope.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #401 on: August 09, 2017, 10:43:12 PM »
Great to hear everyone checking in. We've been keeping busy, and things have been interesting. We did about six months of travelling by RV, then settled into one place for the summer while our second child was born (my wife got pregnant the night we were celebrating her FI/REing haha oops).

We're gearing up to shake up the cobwebs now and decide what to do next. It's been interesting, and I'd say with ups and downs. I hadn't realized how much in the sense retiring with kids means you become a stay at home parent. That seems obvious in hindsight, but I didn't think about it before, and not sure I'm totally a fan. I am certainly more relaxed, doing a lot of good walking and hiking, and reading.

I think in some aspects my fitness levels are not quite as good, but that was because the way my work was setup I would have access to gyms on site, etc, and downtime to make use of them. I have to make a more conscious effort to find time to get in weight training and bike riding now, without a commute. So in that sense, so some days I fight with the lack of structure and what that used to provide.

Then there are days like today, where I slept in, had a nice breakfast, a nice long walk with the dogs, and then we went off to a nature preserve for a hike and picnic lunch. Followed by a post hike beer and afternoon nap, then afternoon tea. Spent the rest of the evening tinkering with my road bike, then had a nice dinner and a bit of reading. Spending the entire day hanging out with wife. Not bad for a Wednesday!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #402 on: August 09, 2017, 10:43:42 PM »
I won't get on about all I'm doing, but suffice it to say that 6 recent weeks traveling the country has been a pleasure. One month hiking/hanging out in the Rockies would not happen if I wasn't FIRED. Next to Asheville NC for a week and then a November bike ride from Washington DC to Ann Arbor MI to watch the UM v. OSU game.

Have you done something like that bike trip before? What do you do to plan and get ready?

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: August 10, 2017, 12:00:41 AM »
Great to hear everyone checking in. We've been keeping busy, and things have been interesting. We did about six months of travelling by RV, then settled into one place for the summer while our second child was born (my wife got pregnant the night we were celebrating her FI/REing haha oops).

We're gearing up to shake up the cobwebs now and decide what to do next. It's been interesting, and I'd say with ups and downs. I hadn't realized how much in the sense retiring with kids means you become a stay at home parent. That seems obvious in hindsight, but I didn't think about it before, and not sure I'm totally a fan. I am certainly more relaxed, doing a lot of good walking and hiking, and reading.

I think in some aspects my fitness levels are not quite as good, but that was because the way my work was setup I would have access to gyms on site, etc, and downtime to make use of them. I have to make a more conscious effort to find time to get in weight training and bike riding now, without a commute. So in that sense, so some days I fight with the lack of structure and what that used to provide.

Then there are days like today, where I slept in, had a nice breakfast, a nice long walk with the dogs, and then we went off to a nature preserve for a hike and picnic lunch. Followed by a post hike beer and afternoon nap, then afternoon tea. Spent the rest of the evening tinkering with my road bike, then had a nice dinner and a bit of reading. Spending the entire day hanging out with wife. Not bad for a Wednesday!
Congrats on kiddo #2
You know, your day just sounds lovely !!

I finally managed to write up an anniversary post.
http://www.thefrugalhumanist.com/fire-almost-one-year-spoiler-alert-not-sabbatical/

The way I have been blogging (as in not much at all!), I figured I better get this out before the one year mark, or it will never happen.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: August 10, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
I won't get on about all I'm doing, but suffice it to say that 6 recent weeks traveling the country has been a pleasure. One month hiking/hanging out in the Rockies would not happen if I wasn't FIRED. Next to Asheville NC for a week and then a November bike ride from Washington DC to Ann Arbor MI to watch the UM v. OSU game.

Have you done something like that bike trip before? What do you do to plan and get ready?

I do smaller bicycle trips in Florida - 2-3 days, but not something like this 10-12 day ride. I also hike and camp (80 miles last month in Colorado) along multi-day boat trips, which help with packing and dual use items. I rode from Daytona Beach to Savanna, GA the day after high school, but that was some time ago!

In preparation, I'm mostly trying out what to wear to keep me appropriately warm. I don't plan on camping this time, although I haven't ruled that out just yet. I think a warm room each night will be much appreciated. I also can go much lighter without camping gear, maybe simply a seat bag.

Physically preparing I just ride each day here, at the moment about 25 miles a day. It is so hot and humid though it may be difficult to keep that up until I go. I am also working on putting together a bike that will be comfortable, efficient, but still allowing for wider tires to deal with the likely mud along the way. The wind is what I can't do much about, but you never know - it might be just peachy!

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2017, 08:32:32 AM »
I was thinking of my plans are more semi-FIRE. I woke up one day in 2016 job-less and FI, but I've maintained my interest in working PT in passion area/career.

I have had a job that I don't love that is FT for all of 2017 so far (in passion area), and I'm finding it hard to disentangle from it for reasons that aren't really financial. My goal for the end of 2017 is to be working less in general & spending more time (work and otherwise) doing things I really enjoy.

I don't think I was (or am) psychologically ready for a FIRE-life just yet.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #406 on: October 16, 2017, 03:25:12 AM »
I'm apparently in this class as well. I didn't know these posts existed. I left the grind (paid work as an engineer) on April 7th, 2016 at age 32, and now I am a Peace Corps volunteer. It's work, but not for money :).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:27:06 PM by mandy_2002 »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #407 on: October 16, 2017, 05:37:41 PM »
I'm apparently in this class as well. I didn't know these posts existed. I left the grind (paid work as an engineer) in April 2016, and now I am a Peace Corps volunteer. It's work, but not for money :).

Congratulations. Unless I'm confusing you with someone else (and this is possible), I think we may have met at a Bay Area meetup, in a bar above a Whole Foods

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #408 on: October 17, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »
I'm apparently in this class as well. I didn't know these posts existed. I left the grind (paid work as an engineer) in April 2016, and now I am a Peace Corps volunteer. It's work, but not for money :).

Congratulations. Unless I'm confusing you with someone else (and this is possible), I think we may have met at a Bay Area meetup, in a bar above a Whole Foods

Yep!  That was a great time.  I think I was about 3 months from applying for PC, and about a year from getting out.  It's funny because I told my friend who was in the area with me what I was doing and she came for the first few minutes to ensure that my kidneys would most likely stay intact.  I thought all of the people there were awesome.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #409 on: January 02, 2020, 02:09:24 PM »
Class 2016 here.
Damn time flies!  I haven't regretted one moment yet :)
I'm 3.5 years into FI.   No worries as of yet, although sequence of returns wasnt optimal.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #410 on: January 02, 2020, 10:26:07 PM »
Class 2016 here.
I'm 3.5 years into FI.   No worries as of yet, although sequence of returns wasnt optimal.

I am surprised by your sequence of returns comment.  I am 3y2m in and am tickled pink by my sequence of returns.  Yes, 2018 was slightly down but 2019 way more than made up for it.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #411 on: January 03, 2020, 08:19:52 AM »
Class 2016 here.

I am surprised by your sequence of returns comment.  I am 3y2m in and am tickled pink by my sequence of returns.  Yes, 2018 was slightly down but 2019 way more than made up for it.
I did regain my position, but the time lost is hard to regain.  And I've read that the first five years are the most important, which is why 2018 had me a bit worried.