Author Topic: Thoughts on buying used tires/wheels  (Read 8139 times)

Bearblastbeats

Thoughts on buying used tires/wheels
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:45:55 AM »
Wondering what the general population thought about buying used tires and or wheels. I drive a 2012 A3 S-Line with 17" wheels now. Nearly bald tires.

A Craigslister has a set of 16" steel wheels with General Altimax Arctic tires measuring 205/55R16. Seems to be in good shape, came off of a 2012 VW GTI. He's asking asking $300 for the set.

I was thinking of getting those for the winter as I need new tires really bad.

My other choice was getting a used set of 18" S4 wheels with almost new toyo versado noir tires 245/40r18. He wants $500 for that set.

Would probably get those for summer.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
Re: Thoughts on buying used tires/wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »
I have bought some "take-offs" for my truck. This is when a hillbilly decides to put a lift on his newly financed truck and put $3000 in rims and tires on it. I paid less for four rims and tires with 5000 miles than new tires would have cost. Also check with dealerships for new tires. They change companies frequently that supply their tires and I have gotten tires for half what they should have cost. TPMS sensors are the final bargaining chip when switching rims and tires.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 08:20:22 AM »
I have bought some "take-offs" for my truck. This is when a hillbilly decides to put a lift on his newly financed truck and put $3000 in rims and tires on it. I paid less for four rims and tires with 5000 miles than new tires would have cost. Also check with dealerships for new tires. They change companies frequently that supply their tires and I have gotten tires for half what they should have cost. TPMS sensors are the final bargaining chip when switching rims and tires.

My mechanic quoted me General Altimax Artic  $608 m&b. $698 w/Alignment.

Which is close to everywhere else I see for new in my location.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 12:00:44 PM »
I've done it before. It's a good way to end up with two sets of wheels. I like having two sets of wheels so that I can have real snow tires on my winter wheels.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 04:12:25 PM »
I went through a phase of buying used tyres. After I'd replaced them 3 times in two years, I realised they were false economy. I've decided now that it takes quite a long time to get through the first bit of tyre rubber, but then once you're into the top layers the tyre wears very quickly. Never again.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 07:34:09 PM »
It depends. I've used them in the past when I was driving a $100 car and needed a replacement tire.

I'm also planning on a set of used tires for a trailer I'm getting operational again.

But in general, I'd rather get new tires and stack sales/coupons/etc.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »
A Craigslister has a set of 16" steel wheels with General Altimax Arctic tires measuring 205/55R16. Seems to be in good shape, came off of a 2012 VW GTI. He's asking asking $300 for the set.

My other choice was getting a used set of 18" S4 wheels with almost new toyo versado noir tires 245/40r18. He wants $500 for that set.

My mechanic quoted me General Altimax Artic  $608 m&b. $698 w/Alignment.

The key question is how much thread are on these used tires? I am not seeing much difference between the price new vs old. I never bought used tires. I see them all the time on CL, but unless they are new take off (like someone bought a new car, and get a new set of rims), AND with pretty good discount I am not interested. I buy new tires with road hazard warranty. My dear wife has had blown tires on her SUV due to hitting potholes and curbs, so the warranty is well worth it - we actually save money long term :)

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 05:12:44 AM »
Both sets of wheels you're considering are different sizes than your current wheels.  Do the tire heights cancel out those differences?  In other words, is the total diameter of the wheel + tire the same as your original equipment wheel + tire?  You could run into problems if the total diameter is not the same.  A smaller diameter means you'll be turning more RPMs to reach a given speed.  This translates into better acceleration, but lower highway gas mileage and more wear and tear on the engine and transmission.  Your speedometer will read faster than the actual road speed.  A larger diameter will retard acceleration and cause strain on the engine at low speeds and on hills, but will give better highway gas mileage.  Your speedometer will read slower than actual road speed (which might result in a speeding ticket).

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 07:53:32 AM »
I am not an expert but I feel like tires is something I would rather just get new.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »
I am not an expert but I feel like tires is something I would rather just get new.

Totally agree. It is the only part of the car that touch the ground, and should never cut corner on it. It drives me nuts when I see people driving with bald tires. 

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »
It's more important to make sure the wheels are genuine and not some cheap Chinese copies of popular wheels that will crack / shatter in a harsh impact.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »
I've considered doing the same thing before after looking at craigslist and seeing tires with lots of life left mounted on decent looking wheels for less than brand new tires. I haven't ever ended up doing it, but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't as long as you are getting a decent set of tires.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »

Totally agree. It is the only part of the car that touch the ground, and should never cut corner on it. It drives me nuts when I see people driving with bald tires.

If someone pulled off perfectly good tires to replace them, why does this somehow make them unsafe?

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 06:44:14 AM »
I would make sure that 16s will fit over your brakes.  I'm thinking they probably will, but you ought to probably do some googling to see if they will. 

Also $300 for steelies seems a bit high, you can probably find factory alloys for that much. 

As for used tires...I would make sure that they're good before handing over money.  Its really easy to take pictures that make it look like there's good tread depth, but I've been screwed out of that before and ended up spending $800 anyway on new tires.  Look for even wear across the tire and look out for irregular wear patterns.  Here's a good link with explanations of what to look for:

http://brownsalignment.com/tires/tire-wear/

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 07:23:38 AM »
Run your hand over them to check for feathering.  Most patterns are obvious but feathering can be trickier to spot.

If you do decide to purchase them, be prepared to pay a little for a proper alignment check to make sure the toe is properly set with your new tires.

Here's another link:
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

All that said, my next set of tires will be new.  To each their own and I do think there is a legit secondary tire market if you do your homework.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 09:27:03 AM »
The specific set you are looking at is interesting. My son had a '13 GTI and ordered a set of steel rims and winter tires from Tirerack. He then drove the car for a few weeks of winter weather, in Pittsburgh, and gave up. With the hilly conditions, the significant torque of the engine and the wide, low profile tires, the car was about useless in winter. Since he had a 4WD company vehicle, he didn't need to use the Golf, so it stayed in the garage in bad weather. He sold the winter tire setup on CL.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »
You can score smoking deals on Cl and FB, but have to know what you're looking at. it helps a lot to have a common wheel/tire size as well.

Round here Cl is flooded with lo-mile take-off wheel/tires from trucks. Want stock replacement F150 or 1500 tires? easy!

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 02:51:42 AM »

If someone pulled off perfectly good tires to replace them, why does this somehow make them unsafe?

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/04/buying-used-tires-can-save-you-money-but-are-they-too-risky/index.htm

To each their own...

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 02:03:29 PM »
How many of you will buy a used car and then put new tires on it because used tires are too risky?

I've seen what people on this forum do to hatchbacks in terms of overloading...

Anyway, just bought 2 used 235/70/15s today, installed with old tire disposal, for under $100. Can't complain about that!

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
I personally have had bad luck with used tires.   The only thing I will consider is Michelin tires taken off of a low mileage wrecked car, I haven't been let down yet.

If your wanting 2 sets for snow reasons I can't advise on that since snow is a non issue where I live.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »
I've done a few sets of used wheels/tires.  It's always worked out well.  Knowing about wheels/tires and fitment is key though.  Do your research on your vehicle and wheels/tires first.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »
How many of you will buy a used car and then put new tires on it because used tires are too risky?

GUILTY :)  I am pretty particular about how I maintain the car

I've seen what people on this forum do to hatchbacks in terms of overloading...

Just because someone do it and did not end up in disaster, does not make it ok... I have seen mattress that was tied up top of SUV, it broke the rope, and flew into the car behind it. Not very pretty, and imo the SUV driver need to end up in jail for a long time

Anyway, just bought 2 used 235/70/15s today, installed with old tire disposal, for under $100. Can't complain about that!

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
Wondering what the general population thought about buying used tires and or wheels. I drive a 2012 A3 S-Line with 17" wheels now. Nearly bald tires.

I was thinking of getting those for the winter as I need new tires really bad.

Would probably get those for summer.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Most tyres, even if they have good tread, won't be generally good for more than ~7 years due to deterioration (dry rot) of the rubber. The exact time depends on how the car was stored, maintained and the climate conditions where it was used. A tyre with perfectly good looking tread can be a blowout waiting to happen. And, regardless of whether or not they are actually in good shape, many tyre shops will refuse to work on them if they are more than 7 years past their manufacture date. There is a date molded in the sidewall.

That doesn't necessarily mean I am saying not to get these, it's just something for you to consider. THAT said, I'd never buy used tyres unless I was hard up. Not worth the potential hassles.

Tyres are also one of those things where buying high VALUE items, rather than the cheapest option, is the more frugal choice. I bought a brand new car and the tyres lasted for 60k miles and I only replaced them because they were dry rotting. I replaced them with "mid grade" tyres that were about 25% less expensive than the same OE tires, and the replacements only lasted 35k before they had no tread left. Buy good tyres.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:32:03 PM by MilesTeg »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 04:42:24 PM »
Just because someone do it and did not end up in disaster, does not make it ok... I have seen mattress that was tied up top of SUV, it broke the rope, and flew into the car behind it. Not very pretty, and imo the SUV driver need to end up in jail for a long time

Oh, I totally agree - sorry if that wasn't clear.  I've growled at people who load their hatchback full of firewood and brag about how much they fit, when they're 500+ lbs over gross vehicle weight.

I'm also one of those annoying people who comments that if you're hauling heavy things, a truck is the right solution for it.  And if you're towing, ignoring the vehicle's tow rating "because it will pull it" is a really bad idea.

But I also live in the country, make regular use of my truck, and tow a 10k lb trailer on a somewhat regular basis (I'm in the rotation for hauling our church trailer, since we're a mobile church).

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »
I used to buy used tires from a local mechanic shop. 20 bucks, including balancing. Drove on those to college, and every tire lasted years. It's among the most cost-effective spending cuts I ever made.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 10:39:43 PM »

Oh, I totally agree - sorry if that wasn't clear.  I've growled at people who load their hatchback full of firewood and brag about how much they fit, when they're 500+ lbs over gross vehicle weight.

I'm also one of those annoying people who comments that if you're hauling heavy things, a truck is the right solution for it.  And if you're towing, ignoring the vehicle's tow rating "because it will pull it" is a really bad idea.

But I also live in the country, make regular use of my truck, and tow a 10k lb trailer on a somewhat regular basis (I'm in the rotation for hauling our church trailer, since we're a mobile church).

Gotcha - we are in agreement :)

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 06:09:37 AM »
Kind of surprised that nobody has mentioned date codes yet.  Tires in the states will have a date of manufacture code molded into the sidewall. It is an oval shaped stamp with four numbers, such as  4016. The first two digits are the week it was built, as in the 40th week of the year, or roughly the first week of October. The second two numbers are the year, or in this case 2016. The important part of this information is that tires actually get too old to be safe, regardless of their wear, or lack of it. This is a huge deal with any RV, since most are used infrequently enough to ever really wear the tires out. As a result, tons of large expensive motorhome tires end up being replaced, with very little wear, and often hit the scrap pile looking nearly new, since they are seven, or more years old. There is some debate on what is too old, but most tire and vehicle manufacturers have limits available online. The seven year mark is pretty common. Old tires are prone to failure and loss of control of the vehicle, largely since they have lost their flexibility and tend to crack and fail. This problem can be much more severe in extremely sunny, hot climates. I blew a tire in the southwest, and just wanted to find a pair of used replacements to get me back to the home in PA.  While searching at a used tire dealer, I found many examples of dried, cracked tires that looked about 20 years old, according to my past experience, but were only a few years old, and had suffered from a lot of UV damage. Since the MMM mantra is to use a vehicle as little as possible, older, potentially dangerous tires are probably a more serious issue that the average consumer faces.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:11:12 AM by paddedhat »

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 11:53:47 AM »
Kind of surprised that nobody has mentioned date codes yet.  Tires in the states will have a date of manufacture code molded into the sidewall. It is an oval shaped stamp with four numbers, such as  4016. The first two digits are the week it was built, as in the 40th week of the year, or roughly the first week of October. The second two numbers are the year, or in this case 2016. The important part of this information is that tires actually get too old to be safe, regardless of their wear, or lack of it. This is a huge deal with any RV, since most are used infrequently enough to ever really wear the tires out. As a result, tons of large expensive motorhome tires end up being replaced, with very little wear, and often hit the scrap pile looking nearly new, since they are seven, or more years old. There is some debate on what is too old, but most tire and vehicle manufacturers have limits available online. The seven year mark is pretty common. Old tires are prone to failure and loss of control of the vehicle, largely since they have lost their flexibility and tend to crack and fail. This problem can be much more severe in extremely sunny, hot climates. I blew a tire in the southwest, and just wanted to find a pair of used replacements to get me back to the home in PA.  While searching at a used tire dealer, I found many examples of dried, cracked tires that looked about 20 years old, according to my past experience, but were only a few years old, and had suffered from a lot of UV damage. Since the MMM mantra is to use a vehicle as little as possible, older, potentially dangerous tires are probably a more serious issue that the average consumer faces.

Which should enable us to buy cheap tires that wear fast.

I tend to forget this and fall back on the old mindset from the days when I used to put 10 - 15k miles/year on a car.  I don't need to buy 60k mile tires anymore.  Right now our 2010 Camry is only a little way into its second set of tires.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 04:26:18 PM »
I don't get too excited about date codes as there's so much variation in tire weathering, especially across manufacturers.  Good quality tires on a car that doesn't see a lot of miles (heat cycles) and is garaged will last longer.

Sure, if you want to *try* and be perfectly safe you can shoot for 3 years as a replacement date.  However, I've had a couple of (cheap) tires in the 2 year range blow out on me in the past (garaged car, driven weekends only, back when I had a company car).

We usually shoot for intermediate quality tires on my wife's car.  She tends to get about 5 years before they start to dry rot out on her (her car sits outside year round with the same tires year round).  We've had one that just decided to not hold air anymore, no blowouts.  My Mom is in the same boat, same situation, same results (a couple that just rotted and leaked air after about 5 years).

Post company car era I put only top tier tires on my cars as they see track use.  I normally have Winter/Summer sets, but have also had intermediates (3rd set) for one car.  These cars are garaged, but are generally driven 2-3 times a week year round.  I just disposed of a set of Michelin PIlot Sports from the one car that were mounted on the wheels in 2002.  Stil not rotting, but I had finally hit the wear bars on them.  Previously had a set of Michelin XGT H4s as intermediates on the other car that made it from 2000 until 2014, still perfectly serviceable (as far as rot goes, but had hit wear bars).

So, YMMV for sure!

bankrupt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 03:55:13 AM »
I have no problems with buying used tires as long as the tread is fine and the are no defects.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 07:14:47 AM »
I'm about to buy a set of truck tires and rims with almost new tires for a little over half the price of the tires alone.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 03:19:25 PM »
I replied above that I have often bought loose wheels with tires, and I have, mainly to get the wheels. When I need to replace tires (and have no need for another set of tires) I always buy new, and never the cheapest that I can find. I usually buy performance Bridgestone tires, but run separate snow tires which are usually Continental or Michelin. In exchange for paying more for my tires I get better cornering and braking, which could very well keep me out of the hospital.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 02:22:29 AM »
Yeah, only if you're doing big miles, otherwise they'd probably get too old before they wear out.

It won't apply for most of us :)

Timely, I read this thread on Sunday morning and was going to reply, Sunday arvo I ended up getting a flat tire (and the spare was date-coded 2909 so I ended up buying two new ones).

For most Mustachian cars, tires are pretty inexpensive anyway if you don't have some fancypants big alloys or drive a big fat SUV. I don't mind paying extra for decent quality new tires.

Tires are where 'frugal vs cheap' comes into play. :)

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 08:59:40 AM »
Yeah, only if you're doing big miles, otherwise they'd probably get too old before they wear out.

It won't apply for most of us :)

Timely, I read this thread on Sunday morning and was going to reply, Sunday arvo I ended up getting a flat tire (and the spare was date-coded 2909 so I ended up buying two new ones).

For most Mustachian cars, tires are pretty inexpensive anyway if you don't have some fancypants big alloys or drive a big fat SUV. I don't mind paying extra for decent quality new tires.

Tires are where 'frugal vs cheap' comes into play. :)

Good point. Both my cars have 14 inch wheels and brand name tires are $50-$100 each. Whenever I think about how much it would cost to own an SUV I first think of the gas mileage, and then think about how expensive those tires are.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:05:25 AM by Optimiser »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »
Yeah... my truck needs new tires next year and that's going to be around $2k. :/

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2017, 09:55:57 AM »

Yep, this is one of those areas where MMM is irresponsible and dangerous with his advice. The primary limiting factor for a towing vehicle is not its engine power, but it's ability to anchor and control what is being towed. The little hatchback MMM recommends people tow with have no qualities which lend themselves to those duties.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2017, 04:05:33 PM »

Yep, this is one of those areas where MMM is irresponsible and dangerous with his advice. The primary limiting factor for a towing vehicle is not its engine power, but it's ability to anchor and control what is being towed. The little hatchback MMM recommends people tow with have no qualities which lend themselves to those duties.

Totally agree! I caught griefs because we own an SUV. I have one person telling me that I do not need that monster because "my little civic can pull that trailer too" haha... yeah I am sure it can, but can it stop the trailer safely on a panic braking situation, that is what more important.

I also hate seeing people carrying stuffs sticking outside the windows and thinking they are doing something badass, like this one
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/pikachu-corolla/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:08:13 PM by sequoia »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »
Totally agree! I caught griefs because we own an SUV. I have one person telling me that I do not need that monster because "my little civic can pull that trailer too" haha... yeah I am sure it can, but can it stop the trailer safely on a panic braking situation, that is what more important.

Certainly.  I could move an awful lot of trailer with a small vehicle if I wanted - and I'd consider doing that around a property.  Overload a little Ranger or something for potting around a few acres?  Totally.

But on public roads?  Absolutely not.  I want something that can safely handle the trailer, even if it loses a tire (I mostly tow dual axle, and we think the tires will handle a single blowout for at least a few miles...), and I want to be sure I can stop it, safely, even if the trailer brakes quit.  Coming down a good grade.  I don't care if I can make the rest of the grade without the trailer brakes, but I'd better be able to get it stopped at least once without trailer brakes.  That requires a good sized tow vehicle for a good sized trailer.  And since I do tow good sized trailers somewhat regularly, I'll use it to tow other stuff too.  There's no reason to put a hitch on our Mazda 3 when I've got a perfectly good diesel pickup.

And even then, I'm probably not going to tow my max tow rating through mountains.  Or if I am towing fairly heavy through mountains, I'll be running pretty slow - on the way down as well.

I also hate seeing people carrying stuffs sticking outside the windows and thinking they are doing something badass, like this one

You want to up your blood pressure?  Look at some of the "Look how much firewood I crammed in my hatchback!" threads and calculate how far over gross vehicle weight they are.

=======

Yeah.  Stuff can go wrong towing and you can end up doing property or personal damage.  I understand that.  But if something does go wrong and I end up damaging things, injuring someone, or killing someone, I can make a solid argument that I was using the right vehicles for the task, configured properly.  If I were to injure someone because I lost control of a trailer that was well over the manufacturer towing limits (yes, they differ between the US and Europe, because the towing environments are different and trailers are balanced differently), I'm not sure that would go well for me in a court - civil or criminal.  Same for crashing into someone because my car was 500-1000 lbs over gross weight and the brakes were overheated.

The vast majority of truck-related advice on this forum ranges between "advice from people who have no idea what they're talking about" and "advice that is actively dangerous to listen to."