Author Topic: This is Why I Want to Retire - Annoying things colleagues do and say  (Read 95025 times)

Killerbrandt

• Bristles
Re: This is Why I Want to Retire - Annoying things colleagues do and say
« Reply #300 on: June 12, 2015, 10:21:50 AM »
I enjoyed the [Mother of All Reply All] emails a year or so ago.  I work in the Pentagon and have 3 different computer systems to monitor.  On the highest classification system, I saw an email from a command located in Florida about an internal requirement for that command.  The dude inadvertently sent it out to the entire DoD global address list (fortunately since this was a classified system there were "only" several hundred thousand addressees). 

After the initial email there were multiple reply all emails telling him his mistake or asking to be removed from his email list. 

It got to be the running joke in the office for a while.

OMG!! I was on that list!! It was horrible!! It lasted forever!! I remember it ending and our office cheered!!

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: June 12, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »
Anyone else find it amusing that this thread has devolved into a pissing contest?
I don't think this post got enough love.

Thanks!  I also loved the "Game of Thrones" comment!  Ain't this forum grand?!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #302 on: June 12, 2015, 01:33:40 PM »
Today... our filing clerk... I don't know where to begin...

She's been stacking the filing around her desk for a year and a half - ever since she got back from mat leave. There are piles we've been sifting through since forever...

I got out of a meeting just now to find her stacks of filing on my desk.

Someone decided we should all work together to make it easier for her to get the files in order. So I am now supposed to go through every single page from my work group from the last 18 months and label what folder they are to be filed in, then return it all to her and she'll see if she can find the right files. If she can't, I'll be tasked with creating files for her to put the paper in. I am looking at at least a week of pointless work because chiquita couldn't be assed to do her job for the past year and a half.

This is what the cover sheets are for. This is why we have staples and paper clips and banana clips. This is why we have filing clerks.

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #303 on: June 12, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »

She's been stacking the filing around her desk for a year and a half - ever since she got back from mat leave. There are piles we've been sifting through since forever...

Someone decided we should all work together to make it easier for her to get the files in order. So I am now supposed to go through every single page from my work group from the last 18 months and label what folder they are to be filed in, then return it all to her and she'll see if she can find the right files. If she can't, I'll be tasked with creating files for her to put the paper in. I am looking at at least a week of pointless work because chiquita couldn't be assed to do her job for the past year and a half.

This is what the cover sheets are for. This is why we have staples and paper clips and banana clips. This is why we have filing clerks.

Those cover sheets....

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: June 12, 2015, 01:54:09 PM »

I'm pretty sure that my response to this would be: "I'm sorry, but I can't fit this into my schedule. I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out. Use your best judgment and make new folders if they're called for - the supplies are in the supply closet."

Keep in mind - Putting these stacks of paper on your desk while you were at a meeting was a calculated move to ensure 1) You couldn't stop her from putting it there (because she knows it would not be welcome) and 2) to create a situation where it would involve the maximum effort to punt it back to her.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:59:07 PM by Cpa Cat »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #305 on: June 12, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »
"But so what do you personally do when you do have to sit to shit in a public restroom? Lay down toilet paper on the seat every time? Just curious."

Really - have you never heard of toilet seat covers? i.e. paper cowboy hats. Pretty much every public toilet in my state has them. I do realize there are some places that are the wild, wild west of make-your-own-toilet-seat-cover. Perhaps you live in one of those places?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #306 on: June 12, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »

I'm pretty sure that my response to this would be: "I'm sorry, but I can't fit this into my schedule. I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out. Use your best judgment and make new folders if they're called for - the supplies are in the supply closet."

Keep in mind - Putting these stacks of paper on your desk while you were at a meeting was a calculated move to ensure 1) You couldn't stop her from putting it there (because she knows it would not be welcome) and 2) to create a situation where it would involve the maximum effort to punt it back to her.

Yeah - except it was a move by management to support her in getting things back on track... This is a manager's decision, not the Admin's. She would happily continue with the stacking until she's built herself a fortress.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: June 12, 2015, 05:33:09 PM »
"But so what do you personally do when you do have to sit to shit in a public restroom? Lay down toilet paper on the seat every time? Just curious."

Really - have you never heard of toilet seat covers? i.e. paper cowboy hats. Pretty much every public toilet in my state has them. I do realize there are some places that are the wild, wild west of make-your-own-toilet-seat-cover. Perhaps you live in one of those places?

I live in New York City where you'd think we'd have all the mod cons, but, no, actually, these seem to have gone out of fashion. As people figured out that no one was actually getting illnesses or infections from using a bare seat.

But, no, I do know about the toilet doilies, so I meant one or the other. I was curious, since FrugalNacho seemed SO freaked out at the filthiness of the toilet, if a cover was even enough for him. Given that he's able to come up with a solution for the times that he needs to sit down of necessity, my curiosity was why this wasn't a workable solution for the sit-to-pee option.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: June 15, 2015, 07:56:01 AM »

Yeah - except it was a move by management to support her in getting things back on track... This is a manager's decision, not the Admin's. She would happily continue with the stacking until she's built herself a fortress.

Oh this all sounds so pointless. If the stuff hasn't been in the file for 18 months and no-one's missed it, what is the point? I'd start 'filing' a few pages a day under B1N as we say in the UK.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #309 on: June 15, 2015, 08:41:38 AM »
I'm with Sam "reasonable evaluation of risks" E. And most of the rest of the population, as far as I can tell. I touch lots of surfaces that other people's bodies have touched. People could also get shit on their hands when wiping and then not wash their hands. So long as I don't live in a place with frequent dysentery outbreaks, I'm not going to be a germaphobe.

But so what do you personally do when you do have to sit to shit in a public restroom? Lay down toilet paper on the seat every time? Just curious.

Yes I realize that shit germs are literally everywhere.  It's on the door handle, it's on my remote, it's on my light switches, etc.  I have nieces, family members, and friends over to my house, as well having animals, and I know most of them are crawling with germs, and those germs are crawling onto all the surfaces in my home.  It's just a part of life.  I try to keep my hands and the surfaces in my house relatively clean, try to not subject myself to the grossest of surfaces, and I continue on with life.  If I have to shit in a public restroom I just do it and wash my hands and move on.  Anything that slips past will probably strengthen my immune system, but if I can avoid putting fecal matter into my system I will.

You make some legitimate points I hadn't fully considered, so I concede that point. But even thinking of these facts, I guess it just doesn't bother me. Actual fecal matter or urine bug me and I'll steer clear, but a surface that looks and feels clean is clean enough to me in this particular case, especially since I wash my hands and don't rub my hands on my ass outside the bathroom or anything.

The weird part to me is how people get so up in arms over restrooms, making a huge to-do about how bathroom toilet and door handles are the dirtiest possible surfaces to touch and so on, yet no one seems to also believe that EVERY surface touched by humans is equally filthy. Think about it: One person fails to wash their hands, so they grab the handle and leave filth/bacteria behind that some in this thread have claimed makes bathroom exit handles the dirtiest surfaces of all. They posit that one person causes every single person who follows them to have disgusting, germy hands (hence why they refuse to touch the handle themselves without paper towel protection). But doesn't all this mean that if that one person fails to wash their hands, every surface touched by everyone who follows them is now covered in bathroom filth? So you take care to cover the handle with paper towels to keep your hands clean, but what about the NEXT handle? What about the next wall, or desk, or keyboard, etc, etc? Won't that filth have spread at the very least to the nearest surfaces outside the bathroom that people touch?

Yea I don't like going around touching door handles at all precisely because I am aware of this.  I also don't follow your logic.  You seem to be saying one person won't wash their hands and contaminate the bathroom door handle, therefore every surface is likely contaminated, therefore you needn't bother washing at all.  I mean what's the point, you might as well eat off the toilet seat right?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #310 on: June 15, 2015, 08:47:54 AM »

I live in New York City where you'd think we'd have all the mod cons, but, no, actually, these seem to have gone out of fashion. As people figured out that no one was actually getting illnesses or infections from using a bare seat.

But, no, I do know about the toilet doilies, so I meant one or the other. I was curious, since FrugalNacho seemed SO freaked out at the filthiness of the toilet, if a cover was even enough for him. Given that he's able to come up with a solution for the times that he needs to sit down of necessity, my curiosity was why this wasn't a workable solution for the sit-to-pee option.

I wouldn't say i'm SOO freaked out about it.  I just realize that public restrooms, particularly the toilets and door handles, have the highest concentration of germs and fecal matter out of anything, except perhaps a manure farm, so I avoid touching them bare handed whenever possible.  I also use a shovel to clean up my dog's shit rather than my bare hands, even though I could easily wash them after (and do anyway).

I probably spend more time using public restrooms than almost anyone on this board because of my digestive issues.  I just don't understand how people here think toilet seats are clean, especially in a public restroom.  If I have to I will use it, but if I can avoid it I will.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: June 15, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »

I wouldn't say i'm SOO freaked out about it.  I just realize that public restrooms, particularly the toilets and door handles, have the highest concentration of germs and fecal matter out of anything, except perhaps a manure farm, so I avoid touching them bare handed whenever possible.  I also use a shovel to clean up my dog's shit rather than my bare hands, even though I could easily wash them after (and do anyway).

I probably spend more time using public restrooms than almost anyone on this board because of my digestive issues.  I just don't understand how people here think toilet seats are clean, especially in a public restroom.  If I have to I will use it, but if I can avoid it I will.

Ha ha, yeah your unfortunate digestive issues were sort of why I was particularly curious.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #312 on: June 15, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »
You seem to be saying one person won't wash their hands and contaminate the bathroom door handle, therefore every surface is likely contaminated, therefore you needn't bother washing at all.  I mean what's the point, you might as well eat off the toilet seat right?

You misunderstand. I do wash my hands, I do keep clean. I wipe visible urine (or any bodily waste/fluids) off of toilet seats before sitting. I'm merely extending out the logic of the people who are so incredibly freaked out about bathroom door handles and such. If you believe every surface in a bathroom is that contaminated, you can't also believe that contamination ends at the threshold oft he bathroom door, so you should probably be regularly sanitizing your hands as well to protect from all the other contaminated surfaces you encounter far more frequently.

I just don't see the point in worrying over every little germ, you know? My body has plenty of mechanisms for killing them and there's little I can do about all the germs surrounding me. So I'll take what standard precautions I should (hand washing, showering, not touching bodily fluids, etc) and beyond that it's silly to worry too much because I have no control over it.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #313 on: June 15, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »

Oh this all sounds so pointless. If the stuff hasn't been in the file for 18 months and no-one's missed it, what is the point? I'd start 'filing' a few pages a day under B1N as we say in the UK.

Here we say it was filed under 'r' (recycling)

Unfortunately these files are active for 7 years after being produced since the developments they represent can come back to bite us long after our initial circulation.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #314 on: June 15, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »
I guess the question is . . . will you be ER in 7 years?  If so, let the shredder sort out the files.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #315 on: June 15, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
Does anyone else have the issue with coworkers that insist they chronicle every medical malady with you? Every.single.thing.
I really don't want to know about your UTI.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: June 15, 2015, 12:11:41 PM »
Oh man, I had a team leader years ago who asked me if I thought she might get pregnant because she was having an affair and not using protection, but she doesn't get her period that often anyway...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: June 15, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »
Here we say it was filed under 'r' (recycling)

Unfortunately these files are active for 7 years after being produced since the developments they represent can come back to bite us long after our initial circulation.

relevant scene from the office:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4mBqTiAZNY

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #318 on: June 15, 2015, 01:38:12 PM »

I'll just leave this here.  --> http://www.medicaldaily.com/clean-your-desk-office-space-more-hot-spot-germs-toilet-seat-313738

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #319 on: June 15, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
I mean what's the point, you might as well eat off the toilet seat right?

Alright Fruganacho, I have a pretty high tolerance for this shit and can join in with the best of them, but this comment actually had me dry-heaving at my desk.   Thanks.  :\

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: June 15, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »
Does anyone else have the issue with coworkers that insist they chronicle every medical malady with you? Every.single.thing.

And also which things they don't eat.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: June 15, 2015, 03:17:34 PM »
I've just had the day from hell with people acting like toddlers. (My stbx boss actually told his more-influential peer "I understand your concern, but this is my decision.") I can't wait to get home to my toddlers; at least I can put them in time-out. And to top it all off, I get this email:

NOTICE: Please note variance greater than 20%:

Estimated $2,000,000
Actual $1,764,724

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #322 on: June 15, 2015, 04:25:30 PM »
NOTICE: Please note variance greater than 20%:

Estimated $2,000,000
Actual $1,764,724
Try to have the number drop right below a million to see if they call it a complete loss and tell you to keep it.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #323 on: June 15, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »

Aw, but it burns and I feel like I need to pee CONSTANTLY and that is why I am walking by your cube every 10 minutes!

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #324 on: June 16, 2015, 09:27:45 AM »

Aw, but it burns and I feel like I need to pee CONSTANTLY and that is why I am walking by your cube every 10 minutes!

*sigh* the "benefit" of having an office on the way to the bathroom.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #325 on: June 16, 2015, 06:15:01 PM »

Glad I could help draw out this little detail ;)
I sit by the windows - "oh, look it is raining! Yeah, it is really coming down" " look how dark the sky is!" <more people gather> continued jibber jabbering....

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #326 on: June 16, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »
I sit by the windows - "oh, look it is raining! Yeah, it is really coming down" " look how dark the sky is!" <more people gather> continued jibber jabbering...

I just walkover and stare. I love rain.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #327 on: June 16, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »
Oh man, I had a team leader years ago who asked me if I thought she might get pregnant because she was having an affair and not using protection, but she doesn't get her period that often anyway...

Lol, you are like a priest in a one of those little confession booths.  Seriously, mozar, I want to get all my dirty laundry off my chest to you (but alas, all of these other rumor mongering people are reading too . . . )

nazar

• Stubble
« Reply #328 on: June 16, 2015, 09:39:31 PM »
As long as we are fixating on co-worker bathroom habits, why is it that women who would train their sons and expect their husbands to lift the seat to pee do not do this themselves when they choose to do their business standing?   And worse, not cleaning up after leaving their bodily fluids all over the place?  Is it too much to ask that they hire people who are potty trained?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #329 on: June 17, 2015, 05:17:03 AM »
I sit by the windows - "oh, look it is raining! Yeah, it is really coming down" " look how dark the sky is!" <more people gather> continued jibber jabbering...

I just walkover and stare. I love rain.

I understand. No problem. In the open office format it is just that conversations tend to travel, and when folks get a little chance to break the chains to their desks they tend to get a bit giddy and loud - ignoring that some of us may still be stuck trying to finish a phone conference we can already barely hear, or another task where we have to concentrate.
Mostly I just hate the open office format....

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #330 on: June 17, 2015, 08:19:31 AM »

I'll trade you! I would love a window seat. In my own office. Away from people. With a visual warning that no one may participate in small talk about the weather while next to my window.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #331 on: June 17, 2015, 09:11:04 AM »

I sit by the windows - "oh, look it is raining! Yeah, it is really coming down" " look how dark the sky is!" <more people gather> continued jibber jabbering....

Those of us that haven't seen the outside for the past 6 years are going to hate you -- just a teeny bit.  ;)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #332 on: June 17, 2015, 04:35:45 PM »

Those of us that haven't seen the outside for the past 6 years are going to hate you -- just a teeny bit.  ;)

I admit that having windows AND being by them is nice 98.6% of the time. Early warning on weather, better lighting, clues to time (it is getting dark). 

TheBanker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #333 on: June 17, 2015, 05:04:49 PM »
I thought it might be fun to start a thread with all those petty annoying things that make you want to reach FIRE and walk the hell out of the office / base / factory ASAP. For me it's:

Either I'm the guy annoying everyone else and I don't know it, or some of you guys are wound way too tightly if this stuff bothers you so much that you are basing a major lifestyle decision around it.

But hey, I'm the only one on here who LIKES his job and isn't actively planning to leave, so what do I know?

This. I send thank you emails to the coworkers, and I have never once minded a thank you email. I also regularly ask people how their weekend was... not because I care about their weekend, but because communication (no matter how pointless and Seinfeld it is) is part of the human experience. Plus, people you talk to regularly get YOUR requests done waaay quicker.

I am glad all y'all are excited to FIRE and never see your co-workers again, but I am pretty sure you have some untapped resources and potential friends in your fellow employees. It was a guy I didn't particularly like but made myself talk to anyway who explained expense ratios to me. Sure glad he did, because it led me here.

PS - I also clip my nails at work sometime. Outside, where the smokers are. I figure that's where the office management determined bad habits should take place.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #334 on: June 18, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »
PS - I also clip my nails at work sometime. Outside, where the smokers are. I figure that's where the office management determined bad habits should take place.
Love this logic!

EAL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mindful Money
« Reply #335 on: June 18, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »
"Wouldn't you rather put a - than a / when writing the date?"

Seriously? Who cares!

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #336 on: June 18, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »
"Wouldn't you rather put a - than a / when writing the date?"

Seriously? Who cares!

I have to write the date different ways based on where I'm writing it.  Interal docs - are mm/dd/yy, external docs - mm-dd-yyyy, engineering docs - yyyymmdd, company timecard - dd-mm-yy, contractor timecard - mm/dd/yyyy.

Those are just the ones I can think of.  There is a printout on my cube wall to help me remember what to type where.  I'm pretty sure there is a person whose sole job is to double check all this stuff.  No one else besides her cares.

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #337 on: June 18, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »
I had a colleague at my previous work who was snacking baby carrots all the time. Her skin literally turned yellow.

E16sean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #338 on: June 18, 2015, 04:13:43 PM »
At my last job I had a senior colleague at the desk next to me who craved attention. He would be reviewing a document and often laugh quietly, then if no one asked him what he found amusing he would then laugh a little bit louder and look around to make eye contact with someone. This would go on a few times until he gave up and would tap one of us on the shoulder and say "come take a look what this idiot wrote"... It was mostly grammatical mistakes. Multiple times a day. Bloody annoying. Glad I left that company.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #339 on: June 19, 2015, 05:02:22 PM »
I got in big trouble today because I had bolded something on one document, but I forgot to make sure another similar document was bolded in the same place.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #340 on: June 19, 2015, 09:00:26 PM »
I'm a veterinarian in a corporate practice and currently mentoring a newly-graduated veterinarian.

Our practice manager (25 years old, no education beyond a high school diploma and on a bit of a power trip) has a big issue with the fact that my new grad has used her cell phone a couple of times at work.  I've discussed it with my supervisor (the veterinarian over our region) and she has no problem with occasional cell phone use by doctors, but the PM sent a long email full of gems like:

"No, I have not seen her disregard patients because of her cellphone use.  It may be uncomfortable to have the discussion with not only an adult, but a medical professional.  Regardless, as a rule for the hospital, shouldn't we expect compliance from everyone?"   

and

"It's hard for me to believe that she is unable to practice without the use of her cellphone when I have two doctors that do it everyday. "

and finally

"What I've taken from these emails is that the policy has not been discussed with her directly.  I know that she has at least heard of it as I have mentioned it in every huddle that I attend (Recently Mon and Tues of this week).  I'm happy to bring it to her attention the next day that we are together.  I will also notify her of all the resources at our disposal.  Checking your work email doesn't seem like an acceptable reason to have your cellphone out and I wouldn't let any of my para use that as an excuse."

Seriously?  She's a doctor, quit treating her like a child.  Someone who went to school for 8 years deserves enough respect to be allowed to check their phone a couple of times during the day, or use work-related apps without getting attacked by the phone police.

Without doctors, you would have no veterinary clinic and nothing to manage.   Chill out, kid.   Ridiculousness.   

I SO need out of this profession.  Won't be able to make it all the way to FI as a veterinarian, so currently trying to figure out a career change.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #341 on: June 19, 2015, 09:14:03 PM »
I'm a veterinarian in a corporate practice and currently mentoring a newly-graduated veterinarian.

Our practice manager (25 years old, no education beyond a high school diploma and on a bit of a power trip) has a big issue with the fact that my new grad has used her cell phone a couple of times at work.  I've discussed it with my supervisor (the veterinarian over our region) and she has no problem with occasional cell phone use by doctors, but the PM sent a long email full of gems like:

"No, I have not seen her disregard patients because of her cellphone use.  It may be uncomfortable to have the discussion with not only an adult, but a medical professional.  Regardless, as a rule for the hospital, shouldn't we expect compliance from everyone?"   

and

"It's hard for me to believe that she is unable to practice without the use of her cellphone when I have two doctors that do it everyday. "

and finally

"What I've taken from these emails is that the policy has not been discussed with her directly.  I know that she has at least heard of it as I have mentioned it in every huddle that I attend (Recently Mon and Tues of this week).  I'm happy to bring it to her attention the next day that we are together.  I will also notify her of all the resources at our disposal.  Checking your work email doesn't seem like an acceptable reason to have your cellphone out and I wouldn't let any of my para use that as an excuse."

Seriously?  She's a doctor, quit treating her like a child.  Someone who went to school for 8 years deserves enough respect to be allowed to check their phone a couple of times during the day, or use work-related apps without getting attacked by the phone police.

Without doctors, you would have no veterinary clinic and nothing to manage.   Chill out, kid.   Ridiculousness.   

I SO need out of this profession.  Won't be able to make it all the way to FI as a veterinarian, so currently trying to figure out a career change.

Sorry for the frustration, but I just have to say: your post doesn't fit this thread because this person is not your colleague. You're a professional; she's a high school graduate. The other doctor is your colleague.

Sorry you have to deal with this.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #342 on: June 19, 2015, 09:18:33 PM »

and

and finally

Sorry for the frustration, but I just have to say: your post doesn't fit this thread because this person is not your colleague. You're a professional; she's a high school graduate. The other doctor is your colleague.

Unfortunately, the company DOES consider the PM and I to be colleagues.  Each hospital is run by a lead doctor (unofficially me at the moment, soon to be made official) and a practice manager.  Lead doctor & practice manager are considered to be equals in the hospital and designated to work together.  Other veterinarians in the hospital are my subordinates (or will be, once the paperwork is finalized). 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #343 on: June 20, 2015, 10:09:59 AM »

and

and finally

Unfortunately, the company DOES consider the PM and I to be colleagues.  Each hospital is run by a lead doctor (unofficially me at the moment, soon to be made official) and a practice manager.  Lead doctor & practice manager are considered to be equals in the hospital and designated to work together.  Other veterinarians in the hospital are my subordinates (or will be, once the paperwork is finalized).

I know you're just venting, and it is vent-worthy. When you are officially the lead doctor, can you ease her out the door? If not, I'd use any means available to get her out of your way. That behavior is nothing but future trouble.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #344 on: June 20, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »

and

and finally

I know you're just venting, and it is vent-worthy. When you are officially the lead doctor, can you ease her out the door? If not, I'd use any means available to get her out of your way. That behavior is nothing but future trouble.

Unfortunately, he (the PM) has made the clinic very profitable and therefore he's probably in better standing than I will ever be.... so no such luck.  And yes, just venting after a very frustrating week.  Need another career option, STAT!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #345 on: June 20, 2015, 11:43:29 AM »

and

and finally

Unfortunately, he (the PM) has made the clinic very profitable and therefore he's probably in better standing than I will ever be.... so no such luck.  And yes, just venting after a very frustrating week.  Need another career option, STAT!
I see that kind of behavior a lot from the younger crowd who are given some authority. I started attributing it to their dislike of change, so if you happen to see this nitpicking with each new hire, then that might be partially it. I like to play the game of extremes with this type of person. So I would say something like "well, I don't think the new doc is going to stop, so why don't you fire her, is that what you want to do?"  Usually when they start to think they might really have some true power, they exercise it a little more cautiously.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #346 on: June 21, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/opinion/sunday/is-your-boss-mean.html

MEAN bosses could have killed my father. I vividly recall walking into a hospital room outside of Cleveland to see my strong, athletic dad lying with electrodes strapped to his bare chest. What put him there? I believe it was work-related stress. For years he endured two uncivil bosses.

Rudeness and bad behavior have all grown over the last decades, particularly at work. For nearly 20 years I’ve been studying, consulting and collaborating with organizations around the world to learn more about the costs of this incivility. How we treat one another at work matters. Insensitive interactions have a way of whittling away at people’s health, performance and souls.

Robert M. Sapolsky, a Stanford professor and the author of “Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers,” argues that when people experience intermittent stressors like incivility for too long or too often, their immune systems pay the price. We also may experience major health problems, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and ulcers.

Intermittent stressors — like experiencing or witnessing uncivil incidents or even replaying one in your head — elevate levels of hormones called glucocorticoids throughout the day, potentially leading to a host of health problems, including increased appetite and obesity. A study published in 2012 that tracked women for 10 years concluded that stressful jobs increased the risk of a cardiovascular event by 38 percent.

Bosses produce demoralized employees through a string of actions: walking away from a conversation because they lose interest; answering calls in the middle of meetings without leaving the room; openly mocking people by pointing out their flaws or personality quirks in front of others; reminding their subordinates of their “role” in the organization and “title”; taking credit for wins, but pointing the finger at others when problems arise. Employees who are harmed by this behavior, instead of sharing ideas or asking for help, hold back.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #347 on: June 22, 2015, 04:49:39 AM »

I see that kind of behavior a lot from the younger crowd who are given some authority. I started attributing it to their dislike of change, so if you happen to see this nitpicking with each new hire, then that might be partially it. I like to play the game of extremes with this type of person. So I would say something like "well, I don't think the new doc is going to stop, so why don't you fire her, is that what you want to do?"  Usually when they start to think they might really have some true power, they exercise it a little more cautiously.

In one of my first jobs out of college I worked for a company with lots of strict rules. My then boyfriend (now husband) was taken into hospital. I accepted a cell phone call from him in the lunch room, as we were not allowed personal mobile phones in the office. 

A colleague, who was NOT my supervisor in any way shape or form, made a point of coming to tell me off about using a phone which was AGAINST THE RULES. She really enjoyed talking down to me and trying to make me feel bad.

Not ten minutes later she asked me to keep a look out for our boss because she was going for a cigarette on company premises... um, which was also against the rules. People, argh!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!