Author Topic: The things people say...that irk you  (Read 172793 times)

RentSeeking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: The things people say...that irk you
« Reply #600 on: May 27, 2016, 11:06:48 AM »
"Wait on" to express that you are waiting for something to happen.

No.  If you are waiting "on" [someone], you are a server in a restaurant or a salesclerk in a store. 

If you anticipate an event, you are waiting "for" it to happen.

I'll be honest, sometimes the ambiguity may be apt when we're referring to a client.

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #601 on: May 28, 2016, 04:36:33 PM »
I found myself using y'all in my conversation from time to time (more often lately) and I irk me! I have nothing to do with Texas, never lived there, no friends from there, no ties to the damn state whatsoever...where did this "y'all" come from??

There's nothing wrong with yearning for an informal, explicitly plural second person pronoun where none exists. Or, in this case, using the one that does. It's helpful in some situations to defuse or prevent tension, or just to help people feel included.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #602 on: May 28, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »
I know this is a southern thing, but it drives me bonkers to hear adults (usually women) refer to their father as "daddy." In my neck of the woods people quit using Daddy and Mommy around the time they start middle school, so it's kind of icks me out when I hear it. I think it's supposed to be affectionate but it always sounds to me like they're just trying to be cute.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #603 on: May 28, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »
Irks me when people post local food  reviews on FB and use cutesy words like dee-lish and yummy. Tell me the pizza has a crispy crust and the sauce tastes fresh. Tell me the Peruvian chicken was properly cooked and tasted great due to a good combination of spices.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #604 on: May 28, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »
Irks me when people post local food  reviews on FB and use cutesy words like dee-lish and yummy. Tell me the pizza has a crispy crust and the sauce tastes fresh. Tell me the Peruvian chicken was properly cooked and tasted great due to a good combination of spices.

Oh, God, I loathe "yummy" with the fury of a thousand suns.  Then again, I think I mentioned that earlier in this thread.  :D

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #605 on: May 28, 2016, 09:57:12 PM »
I know this is a southern thing, but it drives me bonkers to hear adults (usually women) refer to their father as "daddy." In my neck of the woods people quit using Daddy and Mommy around the time they start middle school, so it's kind of icks me out when I hear it. I think it's supposed to be affectionate but it always sounds to me like they're just trying to be cute.

Must be a southern thing... my 77 year old daddy still refers to his father as daddy.  Perhaps it's similar to the familiar in Spanish.  In my world, it's a term of love and affection, not cuteness

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: May 29, 2016, 09:43:01 AM »

This.  I don't care what app or device you (general you, not specific you) use, and I'm tired of reading it.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: May 29, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »

This.  I don't care what app or device you (general you, not specific you) use, and I'm tired of reading it.

I have one friend who changed hers to say, "Sent from my rotary phone."  I thought that was pretty clever.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #608 on: May 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM »

I have one friend who changed hers to say, "Sent from my rotary phone."  I thought that was pretty clever.

Love this.  Running with the idea.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #609 on: May 30, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »

My teenagers never refer to their father as daddy in conversation.  But they still call him Daddy.  They still call me Mama, but refer to me as their mother.

When I first moved to Texas from NY, I didn't get the "Daddy" thing.  Used to it now; no biggie.  It's just a thing they do down here; a term of endearment.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #610 on: May 30, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »
I am irked by these being shortened:

Master's degree to Masters

Invitation to  invite

I know this is petty, but they set my teeth on edge.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:40:17 AM by iris lily »

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #611 on: May 30, 2016, 03:15:45 PM »
When parents refer to their children as kiddos.  That annoys me.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #612 on: May 31, 2016, 09:48:31 PM »
When someone says they "upped" something.  "The bank upped my credit limit."  What's wrong with "raised" or "increased"?

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #613 on: May 31, 2016, 10:25:35 PM »
"... if you will..."

richyf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #614 on: June 01, 2016, 04:39:44 AM »
Using 'THIS' to emphasis that you are agreeing with a quote .... even though you have included the quote  in your reply.

e.g.

'I really hate it when...
THIS!!!... I totally agree!...'

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #615 on: June 01, 2016, 08:25:52 AM »

No. My father is my daddy. When he is cranky, he is the the Daddy-Beast. I'm not trying to be cute, he is simply my daddy.

Fight me.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #616 on: June 01, 2016, 08:48:04 AM »

Mine had a plug for my provider, which pissed me off. I know I could have deleted the line, but I had more fun changing it from "Sent from my XXXXXX Smart Phone " to "Sent from my XXXXXX Not-So-Smart Phone".

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #617 on: June 01, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
After I reacted to the 'daddy' thing, I regretted it.  This is a thread about what irks people...not about justifying the words we say.  What difference does it make that someone I don't know doesn't like what I call my father?  And lots of perfectly reasonable things irk me.

But then Warlord1986 made me LOL and so I regret nothing! 

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #618 on: June 01, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »

No. My father is my daddy. When he is cranky, he is the the Daddy-Beast. I'm not trying to be cute, he is simply my daddy.

Fight me.

This is a cultural norm that's not well understood outside the culture. A burden southerners often have to bear. I totally get his "Fight me" reference. :-)  Some things are not negotiable. Only unconditional surrender is acceptable.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:11:57 AM by Faraday »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #619 on: June 01, 2016, 11:45:15 AM »

Fight me.

This is a cultural norm that's not well understood outside the culture. A burden southerners often have to bear. I totally get his "Fight me" reference. :-)  Some things are not negotiable. Only unconditional surrender is acceptable.

Hey, you can call him whatever you want, that's your prerogative. I can think it's weird/juvenile - that's mine.