Author Topic: The things people say...that irk you  (Read 172557 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Re: The things people say...that irk you
« Reply #400 on: January 26, 2016, 06:18:20 AM »
Not said, but written in these very forums:

A person admits to not knowing much about the subject, then proceeds to give an example, and uses a made up specific value (such as a salary for a specific job), then writes "I don't know if that's accurate, YOU could look it up quite easily".

(Yeah, so could you, poster!)

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #401 on: January 26, 2016, 09:31:01 PM »
Heard Apple's Tim Cook say "exspecially" a bunch of times on today's earnings conference call.

I was getting exspecially irked each time he said it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:33:21 PM by Sojourner »

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #402 on: January 27, 2016, 09:14:05 AM »
Heard Apple's Tim Cook say "exspecially" a bunch of times on today's earnings conference call.

I was getting exspecially irked each time he said it.
I had a professor in college who would pronounce "question" as "quest eon".  It only started bothering me about 1.5 weeks into the course when I first noticed it, and then I couldn't help but notice it every time he asked if anyone had any quest eons.

hypocrispy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #403 on: January 27, 2016, 09:48:36 AM »
"Irregardless" when they actually mean "Regardless".

The one that tops the list and makes me visually cringe every time I hear it is when people pronounce Illinois as IlliNOISE or ELLEnois. It's ILL-ANNOY, which I find accurately describes my home state anyhow.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: January 27, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
The one that tops the list and makes me visually cringe every time I hear it is when people pronounce Illinois as IlliNOISE or ELLEnois. It's ILL-ANNOY, which I find accurately describes my home state anyhow.

Quote from: Alice Cooper
Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."

:-)

redcedar

• Bristles
« Reply #405 on: January 27, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
Refer back

Revert back

Hot water heater

Ending a questions with or...... Or so......

Instead of asking a simple question like "did you do x", someone says " I didn't know if you had time to do x" followed by a long pause.

Little Nell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #406 on: January 27, 2016, 09:19:33 PM »
"Easy peasy."  What the fuck is "peasy?"
I hate that one, too.  It sounds ridiculous.

It's quite a common linguistic phenomenon known as reduplication. Other examples are hoi polloi, argy bargy, spit spot, bric a brac, and there are many others.
Hoi polloi is not reduplication. Hoi is the Greek definite article (masculine, plural, nominative) and polloi is the adjective "many."
So "the hoi polloi" redundant, because it means "the the many."

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #407 on: January 28, 2016, 01:39:27 PM »
Using the word barbecue as a verb.  Barbecue is a noun meaning pork (or in some areas beef) cooked in a certain way.

Sorry, it's also a verb: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/barbecue?s=t
"
verb (used with object), barbecued, barbecuing.
to broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, often seasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.
to cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.
verb (used without object), barbecued, barbecuing.
to cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue:
If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard."

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #408 on: January 28, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »

There was a debate on this a year or so ago but regardless , irregardless is acceptable ! lol  though not liked by many.

one of mine is " you can afford it grab the tab" So now i say i am on a fixed income pay your own share!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #409 on: January 29, 2016, 02:38:01 PM »

There was a debate on this a year or so ago but regardless , irregardless is acceptable ! lol  though not liked by many.
Emphasis mine.
Acceptable to whom?  It is identified as substandard English in any proper dictionary I've ever used.  They acknowledge that its use exists, but that is not acceptance.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »
I didn't peruse the thread, but people using peruse without context makes me giggle.

;P

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2016, 07:45:32 PM »

Emphasis mine.
Acceptable to whom?  It is identified as substandard English in any proper dictionary I've ever used.  They acknowledge that its use exists, but that is not acceptance.

I had trouble with that one for a very long time. Drove my mother nuts,  but then again she drives me nuts by frequently starting a sentence with "Actually"  or inserting it in a sentence for no reason, as in "I went to the store and, actually, I looked at some shirts that were on sale."  It's like a tic or something.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2016, 08:06:15 PM »
I hate when people end sentences with prepositions.

Example: I wonder where she went to.

They'd drive you nuts in Newfoundland..very common, especially outside of "town".

Where's he to?
What's she at?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #413 on: February 01, 2016, 07:51:59 AM »
I hate when people end sentences with prepositions.

Example: I wonder where she went to.

They'd drive you nuts in Newfoundland..very common, especially outside of "town".

Where's he to?
What's she at?

Man:  Doc, I'm having trouble getting it up in the bedroom.  My wife is threatening divorce.
Doc:  I have a cure for you.  When you're ready to get romantic, just count out loud slowly "one, two, three" and then you'll have an erection that lasts.  But you can only use this method once per week. 
Man:  Great Doc, and when I'm done, what do I do?
Doc:  When you're done, simply count out loud :"One, Two, Three, Four" and then the erection goes away until the next week.
Man goes home.  That night, in bed, at the appropriate time, he counts out slowly "One, Two, Three" and magically, he gets the expected results. 
Then his wife asks: "What'd you say "One Two Three" for? 

And THAT is why you should never end a sentence with a preposition. 

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #414 on: February 01, 2016, 08:25:30 AM »
Using the word barbecue as a verb.  Barbecue is a noun meaning pork (or in some areas beef) cooked in a certain way.

Sorry, it's also a verb: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/barbecue?s=t
"
verb (used with object), barbecued, barbecuing.
to broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, often seasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.
to cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.
verb (used without object), barbecued, barbecuing.
to cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue:
If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard."
It's not a verb in North Carolina.  We call that ^ grilling.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #415 on: February 01, 2016, 08:55:27 AM »
I don't know why it gets on my nerves so much, but I hate it when people "drop the g" when speaking.

Thanksgivin'
Puddin'
Grillin'

Ugh.  Hate it!  Once I didn't hire someone because she mentioned that she loved "Puddin'" 
gross. 

Fluffy Clouds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #416 on: February 01, 2016, 10:22:37 AM »
Not a phrase or specific word - but I'm tired of the gloss of humanitarianism and martyrdom that young people put on everything now.  I don't actually care that you do volunteer work, capitalism is okay with me.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #417 on: February 01, 2016, 10:24:09 AM »
I don't know why it gets on my nerves so much, but I hate it when people "drop the g" when speaking.

I don't mind it so much when speaking, but when people write it like that (not as in, e.g., your post, but on an everyday basis) it makes me crazy.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #418 on: February 01, 2016, 11:23:03 PM »
Not a phrase or specific word - but I'm tired of the gloss of humanitarianism and martyrdom that young people put on everything now.  I don't actually care that you do volunteer work, capitalism is okay with me.

I also hate this because 99 times out of 100 it really is only a gloss. Ask them about any of the more complex issues behind whatever cause they are into and they don't have a clue. And they invariably carry on buying the latest iPhone or Primark clothes without even thinking about it.

LadyMaWhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #419 on: February 01, 2016, 11:52:20 PM »
+1 to "chemicals"
I'd rather not clean my floors with anti-matter

+10 to we're pregnant. No you're not.
Imagine a small child needed an explanation. Daddy is not pregnant. Daddy is the daddy to the baby mommy is pregnant with. Gender non-conforming folks aside, dudes are not pregnant! I like expecting. It's old-timey and sweet.

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
« Reply #420 on: February 03, 2016, 03:02:33 PM »
"I'm just curious about why <insert their critique of your method/idea/product here>"

Don't know why, but anytime someone starts a conversation off with the "I'm curious" line I get instantly annoyed and defensive.

Most people that start a conversation with "I'm curious" are nosey as hell, and/or (sorry!) trying to nail you with something.

We've got a lady at the office who thinks it is her job to keep tabs on everyone.  She always says, "I didn't see you and I was worried! Just wanted to make sure you were alright!".  Yeah, sure...

So Close, I really enjoy your posts so I'm sorry to use your post as an example of my irk....

"****'ve got" really bugs me.  The 've is short for have, which often means the same as got.  You probably wouldn't say "We have got a lady...."  I even catch myself saying it but am trying to stop.  I really noticed, and began hating it, while reading children's books to my kids.  Boynton books are great, but have a bunch of "I've got's" in them.  Some are required for rhyming and I let that slide.  The rest I read as "I have."

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #421 on: February 03, 2016, 03:51:16 PM »
"****'ve got" really bugs me.  The 've is short for have, which often means the same as got.  You probably wouldn't say "We have got a lady...."  I even catch myself saying it but am trying to stop.  I really noticed, and began hating it, while reading children's books to my kids.  Boynton books are great, but have a bunch of "I've got's" in them.  Some are required for rhyming and I let that slide.  The rest I read as "I have."

Have is an auxiliary verb in this case, not a redundancy. I think it's pluperfect (past perfect?) but don't quote me on that, it's been a while since I was in school...

I've finished writing the report.
You've run this race before.
We've got this lady in our office.
etc.

radtek2112

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #422 on: February 03, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »
The ladies at work (in their 30's) start out sentences with "I feel like..." instead of "I think...".  I'm not sure why it bugs me. Anyone else hear this?

LadyMaWhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #423 on: February 03, 2016, 11:19:54 PM »
The ladies at work (in their 30's) start out sentences with "I feel like..." instead of "I think...".  I'm not sure why it bugs me. Anyone else hear this?

Both are wildly unnecessary. We coax this out of writing in students, but I think ( :) ) we add it it to speech to moderate aggression. It's a way of acknowledging that one's own assertions are not the same as TRUTH. I think ( :) ) both "I think" and "I feel like" do this. I have also noticed the gender-differntial. And for one to drop them entirely and state one's own assertions as fact is either super ballsy or mind-of-winter robotic, both of which men tend toward more.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #424 on: February 04, 2016, 12:56:54 AM »

YES. This bugs the hell out of me, in cases where it's clearly a matter of thought and not emotion. I think (feel?) people do it out of a sense of intellectual insecurity, because thoughts can be wrong, and challenged, but everyone is entitled to their feelings/opinion.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #425 on: February 04, 2016, 04:57:57 AM »
People taking about our brains being "programmed" or "wired" to do something.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: February 04, 2016, 06:42:49 AM »
Adding an "r" on a word that ends in a vowel.  "Idea" is "idear", "Oreo" is "Oreor," etc.  I think this is a Virginia thing because I've never heard it anywhere else.  Alas, Mr. Mandalay is guilty of this.  "I have an idear--I mean, an IDEA," said while giving me an apologetic glance.  :D

LadyMaWhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #427 on: February 04, 2016, 07:00:06 AM »
Adding an "r" on a word that ends in a vowel.  "Idea" is "idear", "Oreo" is "Oreor," etc.  I think this is a Virginia thing because I've never heard it anywhere else.  Alas, Mr. Mandalay is guilty of this.  "I have an idear--I mean, an IDEA," said while giving me an apologetic glance.  :D

They do this in a Boston too. My sister is Christina and I am Jennifer. Our grandmother said our names with the same ending sound. I like it, because of that association.

Two9A

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On the long road to zero net worth
« Reply #428 on: February 04, 2016, 07:22:29 AM »
People taking about our brains being "programmed" or "wired" to do something.
To be fair, there's a grain of truth in that: remodelling of synaptic connections, or "rewiring" between neurons, is how the brain learns. Simulated brains and neural networks in software use the same technique.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #429 on: February 04, 2016, 08:26:28 AM »
When people say mom or dad in a conversation when they're talking about their mom or dad, instead of saying "my mom" or "my dad".

It's as if we're siblings or something... when we're clearly not.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #430 on: February 04, 2016, 08:49:31 AM »
^^
This.  Aargh.

The Brits do this as well.  How is it that so many people do this?  It's baffling.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #431 on: February 04, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »

Related... "I'm thinking I want to ...."
"I'm wanting to change the color "
"I'm hoping to have..."

Blech.  I want to.  I hope to.  Just say it.  So many unnecessary words.  If you were really thinking, you could have made a more concise sentence!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #432 on: February 04, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »
Has this one been posted yet? "Take and..." As in "I'm going to take and pour the last of the milk in your cup." Someone who used to be in my life, about 7 years ago, would say things like that. Today I found myself *thinking* that. Argh!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #433 on: February 04, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »
^^
This.  Aargh.

The Brits do this as well.  How is it that so many people do this?  It's baffling.

It's a well studied linguistic phenomenon dating back hundreds of years (look up "R insertion" if you're interested.) Relates to the corresponding split between rhotic and non-rhotic R in British English, which was first noted around the 17th century. (Basically, Scots and many North Americans pronounce the 'r' in e.g. "world"; most English or Australian speakers don't.)

The simple linguistic rule that people who do this follow is that any word ending with a schwa sound followed by a word that starts with a vowel, we have an 'r' in there. So "my idea is" sounds like "my idea ris" when pronounced by someone who's English. Some people then go further and always say "idear", even at the end of a sentence.

For some reason, the American pronunciation of water with a 'd' sound instead of a 't' seems to annoy many people here.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: February 04, 2016, 05:03:31 PM »
YES. This bugs the hell out of me, ...

Whoa there Bhuddha. So much anger. Ever consider meditation?

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: February 04, 2016, 05:10:19 PM »
Possibly covered already, if so I apologize:

"Please be informed that..." (If you simply said it, I'd be informed.)
"This letter/email/smoke signal is to inform you that..."
"I just wanted to thank so-and-so" (How about "Thank you so-and-so.")

All the variations of "I just wanted to..." when the thing could just be done.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #436 on: February 05, 2016, 06:10:48 AM »

I find myself doing this as well sometimes. It's definitely an attempt to moderate my assertiveness. If I disagree completely with someone and am putting forward pretty much the exact opposite idea, I'll say "I don't know, I feel like..." as an attempt to soften the blow and attribute some insecurity and feelings-based-illogic to my thoughts, even though I'm damn well sure that I'm right and they're wrong. It stops people getting on the defensive and makes them more receptive.

I do catch myself using it at inappropriate moments, though, and have to say, "I feel-- I mean, I think that...."

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #437 on: February 05, 2016, 08:39:46 AM »
^^
This.  Aargh.

It's a well studied linguistic phenomenon dating back hundreds of years...

"Coca cola" becomes "Coker Coler".  WTH?

I say corrective speech therapy for everyone who does this.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: February 06, 2016, 11:03:47 AM »
^^
This.  Aargh.

It's a well studied linguistic phenomenon dating back hundreds of years (look up "R insertion" if you're interested.)

Ah, interesting stuff!  In the NYC and New England areas, it's the "hypercorrective intrusive r" -- http://dialectblog.com/2011/09/10/intrusive-r/  I grew up outside Boston, and my family did not have that pronunciation, but in recent years, it has somehow crept into my dad's speech.  It drives me crazy when he says, "I have no idear."

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #439 on: February 06, 2016, 12:09:14 PM »

[/quote]

Ah, interesting stuff!  In the NYC and New England areas, it's the "hypercorrective intrusive r" -- http://dialectblog.com/2011/09/10/intrusive-r/  I grew up outside Boston, and my family did not have that pronunciation, but in recent years, it has somehow crept into my dad's speech.  It drives me crazy when he says, "I have no idear."
[/quote]

Interesting to me that so many on this board of intelligent, well-traveled people find dialects and accents so very annoying. Do you also look down on foreigners?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #440 on: February 06, 2016, 12:20:35 PM »

Interesting to me that so many on this board of intelligent, well-traveled people find dialects and accents so very annoying. Do you also look down on foreigners?

I'm the one you quoted.  I don't look down on it.  I just wonder why my dad suddenly changed his pronunciation after 60 years of his life.  Seeing as the first 30 years of my life, he spoke one way, it sounds very weird to hear him speak another way.  Also, I said that learning the history of the dialects is "interesting" because it genuinely is of interest to me -- as in, I am enjoying learning about it.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #441 on: February 06, 2016, 12:33:13 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm the one you quoted.  I don't look down on it.  I just wonder why my dad suddenly changed his pronunciation after 60 years of his life.  Seeing as the first 30 years of my life, he spoke one way, it sounds very weird to hear him speak another way.  Also, I said that learning the history of the dialects is "interesting" because it genuinely is of interest to me -- as in, I am enjoying learning about it.
[/quote]
Yeah, I was feeling a bit snarky when I typed that. Sorry if it was TOO snarky. But it does amaze me what negative attitudes people have towards regional accents. I'll admit to finding NY/NJ/Chicago accents unpleasing to my ear, but I try not to assume people speaking that way are unintelligent or uneducated. That wasn't implied by your post, but it certainly was by quite a few of the posts above, and I finally got tired of it and let loose on you. Sorry!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #442 on: February 06, 2016, 01:42:50 PM »
Preface to Pygmalion, George Bernard Shaw, 1916 includes the line.

It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him.

Seemingly still true 100 years later ;-)

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #443 on: February 13, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »

Speech changed at 60?
A hearing test may be in order.  Sometimes people start talking differently because something IS different.  Over age 60, it's very common to have some loss.
Now for a friendly neighborhood PSA:   Protect your hearing.   Like with a liver, original equipment is free.  Replacements if needed are very expensive.

August

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #444 on: February 14, 2016, 06:40:01 AM »
"oftentimes"

That's not a real word.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #445 on: February 14, 2016, 08:59:00 AM »

Nobodys Fault But Mine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #446 on: February 14, 2016, 11:02:01 AM »
Most of mine have been listed.  Here are my two that remain:

-- when people say "these ones" instead of "these" or "this one";

-- the phrase, "gone viral". I'm not sure why it bugs me so badly, but it does.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #447 on: February 14, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »

"offen", there's actually a T in "often".

and "way". way is a word used for direction, the lost word of much is generally what they should be using.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #448 on: February 14, 2016, 04:01:40 PM »

"offen", there's actually a T in "often".

and "way". way is a word used for direction, the lost word of much is generally what they should be using.

Do you mean "offen" in written text or spoken? Because you know the t is silent right?

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #449 on: February 15, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
There's a T in "listen," too, but I've never heard anyone say "lis-ten." The T is silent, as in "often."

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!