Author Topic: The Strenuous Life  (Read 25766 times)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
The Strenuous Life
« on: September 11, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
This sounds very mustachian, and I wonder if anyone here has tried it?

I just skimmed it very quickly, but it looks like Boy Scouts for grown-ups. It has grown-up type achievements, complete with badges.

https://strenuouslife.co/

Roothy

• Stubble
Re: The Strenuous Life
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
How does it sound "mustachian" to you?

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:05:21 PM »
I feel like voluntary hardship should be it's own reward.  If you outsource the moral approval system to someone else who is going to send you little badges to confirm that you are doing well, you are making the foundation of your life principles very brittle.  I like a good learning program, but based on the information available it sounds like this one is a one-size fit-all that does not take into account anyone's goals.  That plus the men-only spin does not make their subscription very appealing to me.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »

It encourages badassity in several areas of life: physical, mental, financial, etc...

moonpalace

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 02:19:13 PM »
I feel like voluntary hardship should be it's own reward.  If you outsource the moral approval system to someone else who is going to send you little badges to confirm that you are doing well, you are making the foundation of your life principles very brittle.  I like a good learning program, but based on the information available it sounds like this one is a one-size fit-all that does not take into account anyone's goals.  That plus the men-only spin does not make their subscription very appealing to me.

Agreed! And don't forget the ONE-TIME ONLY!!! charge of $200.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 03:52:13 PM »
The badges are weird, and I agree the men-only angle is off-putting, but I support the general concept.  It's the same thing we do with the Throw Down the Gauntlet forum here, and other shared challenges we issue.  It's bringing in others to help push you towards difficult goals.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 04:11:39 PM »
I should point out this is created by The Art of Manliness, a blog dedicated to helping men be men. So it has a men-only angle by design.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 04:29:26 PM »
That part makes sense then.  I know several females that read the art of manliness blog, so it's designed for men but not exclusive to them.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:15:55 PM »

I just skimmed it very quickly, but it looks like Boy Scouts for grown-ups. It has grown-up type achievements, complete with badges.

I'm thinking of the character Parsons, Winston Smith's neighbor in the novel 1984, who obtained a special extension to remain in the youth program.  Adults earning badges is the same thing. 

That part makes sense then.  I know several females that read the art of manliness blog, so it's designed for men but not exclusive to them.
I can't say I read the blog regularly, but I did google my way into it once to find a recipe for Corned Beef Hash.  Excellent recipe.  Superlative recipe.  It's our tradition now to make it with Filet Mignon for our Christmas breakfast.  Oh, my, so good. 

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 08:30:43 PM »
I dunno, but the photo of the guy lifting weights thrusting his junk out and the still shot of the dude with the mustache are kinda creeping me out a little bit...

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »
This seems ridiculous to me. Don't get me wrong, many of the activities on this list seem fun and interesting, but I hardly believe that doing them makes for a strenuous life. They're leisure activities for the self-absorbed upper classes (of which I am a member). There's nothing wrong with leisure, I myself love it, but I don't understand this modern impulse to reclassify it as some sort of noble cause.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 12:41:59 AM »
Assuming this scheme is profitable, it looks to be a great idea. Minimal content production (beyond the existing and future AoM content), 200$ a person, they probably will start charging for the badges and challenges at some point... Not bad.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 01:26:58 AM »

It encourages badassity in several areas of life: physical, mental, financial, etc...

Agreed. Some of the concepts behind this? Mustachian.

Actually paying to join this specific club in order to do things you can do yourself for free? Consumerist sukka.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 01:42:25 AM »

Badges?  "We don't need no stinking badges!"

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 07:30:33 AM »
I want to like the AOM blog, but as a woman I'm so frickin' tired of this kind of stuff being labeled as "manly". It's just too much of a "no girlz allowed" sign on the little boys' clubhouse, and it's just tedious to be excluded. Again.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »
I signed up. But don't try to follow me! I can tell the enthusiasm on this thread is high...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »
I signed up.

Can you explain why? What will you get out of this that you cannot get via DIY?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »
I signed up.

The big reason is accountability. Over there I'm part of a 150 member "class". I can't NOT participate because I would be letting the class down. In turn, they will encourage and hold my feet to the fire. I have high hopes for the community/camaraderie aspect.

In the past I've tried to DIY, and I've tried the Gauntlet subforum here. But I don't have the self-discipline I need to make it happen.

PeaceMeal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »
I want to like the AOM blog, but as a woman I'm so frickin' tired of this kind of stuff being labeled as "manly". It's just too much of a "no girlz allowed" sign on the little boys' clubhouse, and it's just tedious to be excluded. Again.

Not saying I am for or against what they are doing on that site, but I did just read the FAQ's and it says:

"Can women sign up for The Strenuous Life?

The Strenuous Life is an offshoot of the Art of Manliness. Consequently, it is geared towards men.

With that said, nothing prevents a woman from registering with The Strenuous Life. I could have said "no girlz allowed" and a woman could have just said they were a man and signed up anyway. On the internet, nobody knows you’re a dog, or a lady.

The physical standards on badges will not be modified for women. We are equal opportunity-ists around here."

I found it slightly amusing that you both used the "no girlz allowed," phrase.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
Plus, I paid to be in it. So it's real now.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 12:37:57 PM »
I signed up.

The big reason is accountability. Over there I'm part of a 150 member "class". I can't NOT participate because I would be letting the class down. In turn, they will encourage and hold my feet to the fire. I have high hopes for the community/camaraderie aspect.

In the past I've tried to DIY, and I've tried the Gauntlet subforum here. But I don't have the self-discipline I need to make it happen.

The same accountability can be found here, free.  Either one requires the same level of self-discipline and/or worry about letting down internet strangers.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »
I signed up.

The same accountability can be found here, free.  Either one requires the same level of self-discipline and/or worry about letting down internet strangers.

In my mind there is a big difference that I can't pinpoint. I feel NO sense of accountability to you, for example. Do you feel accountable to me?

PeaceMeal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 12:55:53 PM »
I signed up.

I realize I'm a lurker and have no business nor credibility in questioning a Moderator, but I feel that solon is doing a good thing by investing a small amount for self improvement.  There looks to be an extensive list of new skills to learn and if paying for it and having the competitive environment helps him follow through because he is wired to be inspired in that fashion to do it, then I don't think we should be discouraging him.  I'd be interested myself but I feel no shame in saying that there are skills on the list I can't even attempt.  There's a whole bunch on the front page related to swimming and diving, none of which I can do, nor am I willing to learn at this stage due to fear of open water swimming.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 12:59:10 PM »
I signed up.

I realize I'm a lurker and have no business nor credibility in questioning a Moderator, but I feel that solon is doing a good thing by investing a small amount for self improvement.  There looks to be an extensive list of new skills to learn and if paying for it and having the competitive environment helps him follow through because he is wired to be inspired in that fashion to do it, then I don't think we should be discouraging him.  I'd be interested myself but I feel no shame in saying that there are skills on the list I can't even attempt.  There's a whole bunch on the front page related to swimming and diving, none of which I can do, nor am I willing to learn at this stage due to fear of open water swimming.

Thanks for de-lurking to back me up!

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »
Mustachian for the baddassity...definitely. Perhaps not the cost.

I've been reading this site for a few years and he tends to have some pretty decent articles. If my memory serves I switched to a safety razor because of an article I read on the site. That is pretty mustachian right there. I bought a ton of razors for a few dollars and that was like 3 years ago. Can't beat shaving for a few cents a week/month.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »
In my mind there is a big difference that I can't pinpoint. I feel NO sense of accountability to you, for example. Do you feel accountable to me?

Ask yourself: why do you feel accountabilty to those 150 strangers, and not strangers here?

It's just a mental choice you're making.

I realize I'm a lurker and have no business nor credibility in questioning a Moderator

Haha, there's no hiearchy here. I say some pretty dumb stuff, feel free to question me on it.  Thanks for chiming in!  :)

EDIT: Additional question: You say you feel no accountability to me. Why would you suddenly feel accountability to me because I pay $200 to join that group of 150? (Again, my opinion is that nothing "real" has changed, just your opinion of the situation, which is within your control. A mental choice you make.)

Do what makes you happy. I'm just trying to challenge your thinking a little bit, for your benefit, and others. :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:15:24 PM by arebelspy »

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
As a fellow woman, I really don't care about being included /not included.  It has no bearing on my life whatsoever. 

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 01:49:54 PM »
I just learned about this today and it doesn't particularly interest me. But as for the debate on its merits, I rule in favor of, "do what works".

The best diet/exercise regimen/self-improvement plan is the one you can stick to. If OP can stick to this and make improvements, more power to OP.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »
The best diet/exercise regimen/self-improvement plan is the one you can stick to. If OP can stick to this and make improvements, more power to OP.

Totally!

I agree with that.

I'm just saying...question why you think that would work, but a similar thing won't. Because you may be able to make something better work by doing that analysis.

goalphish2002

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 02:40:42 PM »
Plus, I paid to be in it. So it's real now.

Coincidently, I was just reading about this today.  I love the website and often listen to the podcasts on the way to work.  Many of the men actually do meet up.  Accountability is necessary.  I think $200.00 is quite inexpensive if you put your time into this and accomplish your goals.  You will develop relationships and are more likely to follow through.  Without paying, you probably would forget about the idea in a week.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
As a fellow woman, I really don't care about being included /not included.  It has no bearing on my life whatsoever.
While I wouldn't have any interest in joining I do get ticked off at not being included solely based on the genetic trait of being female. I'm sure that "whites only" golf courses that excluded blacks just for being black pissed off a lot of non-golfing black people who'd never be interested in joining. That plus the idea that those activities are primarily male/manly/masculine pursuits. But otherwise I also could care less and think that if this is a way the OP feels will motivate him to bettering himself then I applause him.

I know this isn't the way the OP wants this thread to go, but I'm curious about your perspective on this.  AoM isn't exclusive to males (like I said I know women that read it), but it IS designed and marketed for and to males.  What about this is bothersome?  There are plenty of things designed and marketed for and to females.  Products, services, like female-oriented fitness programs (which could be compared to this male-oriented program).  Why would these female programs bother me?

Not trying to instigate, I'm just genuinely curious about these things since as someone who can also check just about every privilege box, I sometimes fail to see them from other perspectives.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »
What I have a problem with is the idea of "exclusively male" things when those things aren't exclusively male and women do them too.

Oh, the fact the website implies that the goals their members are working towards are male goals?  Ok yea, I get the off-puttingness of that.  Thanks!

Louis XIV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 05:21:08 PM »
Not my cuppa tea, but I'm cool with the premise. Also personally I'd rather pay an upfront cost for stuff than have them profit in other ways (marketing to me, selling my data/privacy).
I've got a pretty tight knit group of friends and we all seem to do a really good job keeping each other accountable, even  if its just regular phone group chats.

If I lost that & thought I could get a new group for $200, I'd definitely be signing up. A forum like this isn't the same experience at all, I don't have any emotional investment in anyone's lives, the only way I'm going to get a motivational "push" is if I make a whinge thread about not achieving. Vs assuming the goal of this biz is to form something similar to my group, I know what their goals are, I can tell when they are losing momentum, I actually care when they try to get competitive about who can get their work done fastest today, who got the best time on strava last week, etc.

Personally I think I got ridiculously lucky and befriended a few "go getter" types who have absolutely helped me increase my emotional intelligence and sort of formed the initial glue for the group. If I hadn't been that lucky, I'd absolutely take a $200 punt on a startup that thinks its got the secret sauce to build the same kind of network.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 05:50:26 PM »
As an ex girlguide leader i am feeling highly motivated. Anyone wanting to become a founding member of my fun and motivational program pls pm me. Details TBD

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 01:43:21 PM »
BTW I'm previously spartana.

Oh......

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 08:17:05 AM »
I prefer my organized religion to be one with a lengthy history and use a physical space for worship and fellowship.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 02:30:24 PM »
I prefer my organized religion to be one with a lengthy history and use a physical space for worship and fellowship.

I think Pete just opened up a space that fits!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 06:04:46 PM »
I realize I'm probably hypersensitive to that kind of stuff as a woman who does many of what-were-once mainly male pursuits all my life (both as careers and hobbies) and have been told so many times "no girls allowed this is for men only. Go home and play with your dolls" when looking for others with similar interests. Its frustrating and antagonistic. I also feel the same about "girls only" groups and they rub me wrong for the same reasons. But I'm aware this is my own crazy spin on things and don't want to derail the OPs thread or is goals at self improvement. So I'll take my Ducati and go ride off into the sunset...alone cause no one will let me play with them...WAH!! ;-)

BTW I'm previously spartana.
We're all allowed to be "hypersensitive" to whatever floats our boat ... but I just can't get too fussed over it.  It's just something that some guy made and put on the internet.  Each of us can "click in" or "opt out" as we please.  I'd be more upset -- much more upset -- if his individual freedom of expression were contained.  We really can't have freedom of speech PLUS avoid offending people sometimes. 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2017, 03:08:10 PM »
I've been in this almost a month, so time for an update.

The weekly challenges have been kind of cool.

#1 - 5 minutes of cold water for 7 days straight. This was a big one. Do you know how cold cold water is? I used my daily shower to meet this requirement. I found out I can get completely clean in much less than 5 minutes! So then I just had to dance around a bit until the 5 minute timer went off. Strangely, I really enjoyed it. After a five minute cold shower I felt awake and alert. Plus I probably saved a bit on the water and electric bill. (And then there's the shrinkage problem...)

#2 - read a 150+ page book in a week. This was pretty easy, I read that much anyway.

#3 - The Army Ground Forces Test. This was a test given to army recruits during WWII to gauge their general readiness. Simple stuff like situps, pullups, pushups, 300 yard run. I did horrible, of course, because I'm middle aged, over weight, and I have a desk job.

#4 - Examen. This is the current challenge. Spend ten minutes each evening answering five questions about your day. This one is really a challenge for me because my mind wanders easily. I overcome that by writing my answers on paper.

There are 52 weekly challenges altogether. The first 12 are considered especially important and you earn a special coin if you do all 12. So I keep going - gotta get that coin.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2017, 03:25:58 PM »
#1 - 5 minutes of cold water for 7 days straight. This was a big one. Do you know how cold cold water is? I used my daily shower to meet this requirement.

Cold water means very different things depending on where you are, so they should give out different amounts of rewards for that one depending on what part of the country/world you live :-)  Jacob @ ERE used to talk about taking cold showers, but he was in California at the time.  Yea, I can take cold showers here too, it's not a real intense sign of toughness.  But I'd be curious to hear if he still does this in Chicago in the winter, because no way in hell would I have done them when I lived in the midwest.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 01:27:03 AM »
Interesting update. The challenges do seem congruent with the general tone of AoM but one wonders how they wrote the list in the first place. Do please update again.

Mike in NH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 01:57:22 PM »
@solon

I'm interested to hear how the program went for you? I just recently started as a member of Class 30.

I realize this topic was a little old, but for those that might still be interested in my reasons, I'm happy to share:

1. I've been spending a lot of time in a new area, was hoping to meet some interesting people through this experience
2. My friends and family have a lot of great qualities and are a blast to hang out with, but in general they aren't huge proponents of self improvement - it seemed like a chance to find my tribe
3. My brother in law and I decided to do it together as some family bonding
4. There's a lot of challenges in there that I wouldn't normally push myself to do, it's a good opportunity to grow outside of my comfort zone and work on things I wouldn't have thought of. @38 and not having any kids, this is a great time in my life to be thoughtful about not getting into ruts.
5. I think the $200 is money well spent. Could I have taken the time, effort, resources, to put all these ideas/thoughts/exercises together myself? Yes. But the time saved and added (hopeful) social benefits are really what I was paying for. Looking at it like an investment in my mental/physical health that is not a magic pill.
6. Do I think it's Mustachian? There's a ton in here about learning to do things yourself, growing your own food, fixing your own things, doing things the hard way vs. the easy way. I'd say there's a lot of overlap.

partdopy

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 02:23:37 PM »

What are you being excluded from?  I see nothing indicating that women cannot sign up.  Or does the mere existence of a thing marketed to men offend you somehow?

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 03:05:46 PM »
That was already further explained.  It's not the exclusion, it's the implication that women can't/shouldn't/don't do these things that only 'tough men' are doing.

What I have a problem with is the idea of "exclusively male" things when those things aren't exclusively male and women do them too.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2019, 09:11:54 PM »
@solon @Mike in NH

Postmortem thoughts?

Mike in NH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »
So we just wrapped up our 90 day bootcamp. I struggled with a few nagging colds throughout February which I should have fought through better but didn't and as a result did not meet one of the three goals to get the initial challenge coin (75% of days with 60 minutes of exercise).

Relating back to my initial reasons for doing this, I'd say it accomplished 2 of the 3 major ones.

+ Gave me a good list of ideas and self improvement things to work on throughout the year and going forward, which I am still excited about and working on.
+ Gave my new brother in law and I something to do together. This has helped foster a pretty good relationship between us where we regularly check in with each other and make plans outside of the standard family events with the sisterwives.
- No luck on the tribe. A decent number of people seemed to no-show right from the start and there wasn't a ton of participation in the forums/posts/discussions. Same people posting over and over. I think I checked and there might have been like 3 other people in all of NH that were doing it. So that was a let down, but you know, can't expect too much from strangers on the internet and all that. Even with the amount of people on these MMM forums, if I want a meetup the options are Boston or bust.   

Overall I'm happy with the results and what I have gotten out of it. Going back to the initial conversation about was this mustachian or not, I could have found other ways to DIY challenges and bonding with my BIL, but doing it this way increased the likelihood of follow-through and I appreciate the structure it provided. The value is there for me.

Sidebar regarding that cold water means different things discussion...our well water in NH was quite chilly during the January cold shower challenge haha

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts.