Author Topic: The camper van purchase?  (Read 13760 times)

Orca2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The camper van purchase?
« on: April 23, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »
Hello-

Long-time lurker, recent member.

Me and wife - 62, house paid for, purchased at $210k now worth about $800k (yea, Seattle).  No debt, $1.7M in retirement savings.  $200k liquid assets.  Wife has small teacher pension at 65.  Both plan on working part time for a couple more years.  So we think we're doing ok.

And then there is the VW Westfalia thing - local well-regarded shop is restoring one.  Already has a subaru engine.  I used to own a stock 1969 camper and we had fun taking the kid and her friends camping/hiking.  Thinking about jumping on this deal as can customize it.  Likely will go for $65k - - and really, if you check around that is a decent deal.  Believe me.

Thinking we could use it for 10 yrs or so and then sell it, which likely would not be a problem.  So while it is a small part of the portfolio - still a bit nervous about making the purchase.  Would be a pretty cool thing - trailhead basecamp for climbing/skiing, SW and Baja trips, etc.

How do you balance such considerations?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: The camper van purchase?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 02:32:10 PM »
I can't get over how much those cost -- you could get an F350 and a 5th wheel for what Westfalias are going for these days..

Orca2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 02:34:14 PM »
....but then that means buying TWO things - and the fifth wheel thing - no thanks

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:38:46 PM »
....but then that means buying TWO things - and the fifth wheel thing - no thanks

Oh I didn't suggest that as an alternative...just pointing out that you can literally buy a house on wheels and a superduty pickup to tow it for less than a 20-40yo minivan.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 03:25:23 PM »
Westys are a great concept, but are terrible vehicles to maintain and are overpriced. They are absolute money pits. If you enjoy the vehicle as a project unto itself, then fine. If your main goal is to have a reliable and mobile home base, then look to a modern conversion package as spartana pointed out. A VW is definitely not the mustachian choice on a financial basis.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »
I'm considering a used Roadtrek myself as a possibility down a road a year or two, probably a Popular 190, but a 170 may be ok if you're short.

Anyway, OP sounds like he's got plenty of dough to get one.

snapperdude

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 04:10:35 PM »
I'm considering a used Roadtrek myself as a possibility down a road a year or two, probably a Popular 190, but a 170 may be ok if you're short.

You might want to think about a used PleasueWay instead. Generally considered to have higher quality than Roadtrek. A Lexor is also a Chevy based model like the 170 and 190. We have a 2008 and love it. Personally, I would avoid the Ford based Excel model. They have been known to have rear wheel tracking issues. A really good resource is http://www.classbforum.com/forums/

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 04:55:04 PM »
Westys are a great concept, but are terrible vehicles to maintain and are overpriced. They are absolute money pits. If you enjoy the vehicle as a project unto itself, then fine. If your main goal is to have a reliable and mobile home base, then look to a modern conversion package as spartana pointed out. A VW is definitely not the mustachian choice on a financial basis.

But they are so cute!  And the perfect size!  If only they were reliable.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 05:08:57 PM »
A close friend/ co-worker just bought a SportsMobile Mercedes Metris camper van that might be a decent alternative to look into vs the Westy or a Sprinter.  Still has the pop-top, and has options for sink/water storage, etc, and is definitely something I'm considering for camping trips with my son when he grows a bit older.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »
You’d get a lot more versatility and bang for the buck out of a trailer. My wife and I have lived full time in and off in a 42’ 5th wheel the last 5 years. We also have a 1968 off road trailer with roof top tent we pull behind our 4Runner. Last year we took it on a two month, 8000 mile off road camping excursion. We’ve also done 3 weeks, and 3000 miles camping through Baja.

So I’m pretty familiar with all the options. The VW thing is great for nostalgia, but terrible for practicality/comfort in the trips you’re describing. At this point they’d be fine for a weekend trip or car shows, but I sure as hell wouldn’t take one through Baja - speaking from personal experience with the route and terrain.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »
Some friends have a pop up cab over camper on a toyota tacoma, which they use extensively for outdoor adventures. That would be an awesome baja rig. The cab over is easy to pull off and leave at camp or for storage to have the truck useful as a truck at other times. I think the pop up cab overs are pretty low profile on the road, but a nice setup wen you arrive. I think they run around $15k new, which still leaves you $30k ahead of the 65k westy mentioned above with a reasonable older  2005+ tacoma.

poetdereves

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 06:39:54 PM »
Hey OP!! I’m with you on the westy idea. You’re way more than set everywhere else. My first vehicle was a 1971 VW van and have probably thought about how much I miss it on a weekly, if not daily basis since I sold it 10 years ago. Mustachian? Probably not. The best camp, have fun, make memories, romp around and enjoy vehicle? Definitely. 100%. Without a doubt.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 07:04:55 PM »

You might want to think about a used PleasueWay instead. Generally considered to have higher quality than Roadtrek. A Lexor is also a Chevy based model like the 170 and 190. We have a 2008 and love it. Personally, I would avoid the Ford based Excel model. They have been known to have rear wheel tracking issues. A really good resource is http://www.classbforum.com/forums/

Yeah, what I've seen of those looks good.  Locally, I've seen some decent deals on Roadtreks, but they didn't last long.  It doesn't matter for now since I'm over a year out from being FIREd and don't plan to jump on this idea right away when I FIRE.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 07:37:28 PM »
A close friend/ co-worker just bought a SportsMobile Mercedes Metris camper van that might be a decent alternative to look into vs the Westy or a Sprinter.  Still has the pop-top, and has options for sink/water storage, etc, and is definitely something I'm considering for camping trips with my son when he grows a bit older.

My Ex and I had a Sportsmobile built on a Ford E-150 chassis. It had a pop-up roof with a very comfortable bed. We drove it all over the place and even used it as a second car. Highly recommend.

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 07:51:24 PM »
Wait 5 years and all the folks getting caught up in the pimped out Sprinter van craze will realize their expensive purchase has been sitting in the driveway for 98% of the time they owned it. They will be cheaper then.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »
I recently purchased a Honda Element with the idea of converting it to a camper with these two systems:

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/campers/element-camper.html

https://fifthelementcamping.com

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:47:04 PM by 850 »

Orca2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 08:50:42 AM »
^It sounds like the OP is more interested in stealth dirt bagger base camp kind of trips to hike, climb, bike, etc rather than traditional RVing or full time camper van living so a small van to crash in seems more their style. Although the small off road trailer might be good if the are boondocking in remote areas where they can pull a small trailer.  Previous to the van I had a V6 Ranger and I looked at tons of small.off road trailers but a van was better for me.

Yea, I know it's not the most mustachian purchase - which was the point of the post - how do you balance what is likely a one time extravagance - and we're pretty much set up well right now.  We'll have $2M in retirement and liquid savings (not counting real estate) by the time we start collecting SS and the wife's pension. 

And yes - we will not be visiting KOAs.  The van we're considering is a synchro - 4x4, good clearance, sub 2.2 L engine, aux battery good for 3 days off the grid - solar panels can connect.  Camping/climbing/mt bikinig in Moab, checking the parks in the SW, a month in Baja and such.   I'm a decent mechanic and this thing has been overhauled - but it is an '89 so yea, things can break.  Those sprinters are giant - so no thanks

After scrimping an saving steadily for 35 yrs - I might go for this yet.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:52:32 AM by Orca2 »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 09:41:27 AM »
The point is not just to spend as little as possible, but to make informed decisions. If this will make your life adequately good, then do it. And there is a certain something to the synchros. But, there are other options that are worth seeing in person first that could sway your vote.

You might find a local dealer for one of these:
https://www.fourwh.com/product/raven-short-bed-crew-cab-popup-truck-camper-half-ton/

6.5 ft of standup is nice and will give all of the other amenities you listed above.

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 09:59:08 AM »
I guess we shouldn’t have gotten rid of our Westy when the engine died. The shop bought it from us for maybe $5k (15 years ago) and they put in a new engine and sold it. We still see it around town now and then. We’d just moved and we were in need of a truck rather than a van.

DH has been thinking about replacing it in recent years. But $65k??? Fuck no. We had that thing in the shop constantly. And it’s put together weird- what would seem like minor repairs would require some removal of parts you wouldn’t expect just to access what was needed. Have a good VW mechanic on speed dial.

Orca2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
I guess we shouldn’t have gotten rid of our Westy when the engine died. The shop bought it from us for maybe $5k (15 years ago) and they put in a new engine and sold it. We still see it around town now and then. We’d just moved and we were in need of a truck rather than a van.

DH has been thinking about replacing it in recent years. But $65k??? Fuck no. We had that thing in the shop constantly. And it’s put together weird- what would seem like minor repairs would require some removal of parts you wouldn’t expect just to access what was needed. Have a good VW mechanic on speed dial.

Yea - I overhauled my previous '69 engine and it was pushing a big 1800 cc - wheee!   But the critter I'm thinking about has a 2.2 sub engine, overhauled suspension, stainless steel coolant tubes, brake, blah, blah.  I'm a good mechanic and can handle most things.  But - I think the tipping point is - would I use it as a daily driver?  If not then even if it goes on long trips it will sit most of the time, which seems stupid. I'm not that rich.

....and I get around quite will enough with the old subie now - and dirt camping seems to work so far.   Maybe I'll reconsider in a few years as I get creakier. 

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 11:36:00 AM »
One additional thought I'd like to add is if OP is really considering a price point of up to $65k, it might be worth looking into a very gently used Toyota Landcruiser (or 4Runner depending on storage needs).  For me, the big thing in a travel rig needs to be reliability, and the Landcruiser certainly is built to last and run trouble-free.  I've got a 2004 4Runner with the same V8 as the Tundra and Landcruiser and have racked up 170k  miles on the truck without any mechanical or electrical issue so far.  When my current rig dies (which is hopefully far in the future), I'll probably get a newer Landcruiser for the extra interior space for camping and durability for driving into backcountry areas for extended stays.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 12:48:26 PM »
^It sounds like the OP is more interested in stealth dirt bagger base camp kind of trips to hike, climb, bike, etc rather than traditional RVing or full time camper van living so a small van to crash in seems more their style. Although the small off road trailer might be good if the are boondocking in remote areas where they can pull a small trailer.  Previous to the van I had a V6 Ranger and I looked at tons of small.off road trailers but a van was better for me.

Yes.  I watched a little video linked in Tiny House Magazine of a family of 4? 5?  Who traveled all summer in a Westy with a pop top.  Benefit was totally stealth camping in the woods.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »
Regardless of your NW: Pretty expensive purchase! Converted minivan or full-sized van will be a lot cheaper, easier to work on, probably drive a lot better/more efficient / less likely to attract attention, both good and bad. How much is insurance on a $65k custom vehicle like that anyway?

I'd only do it if:
- very confident in your mechanical abilities
- very honest financial analysis
- 'gotta have it' index is through the roof

Our family vehicle is a 2011 chevy 3500 12 passenger van. It's cheap, 100% reliable so far, can get 18mpg if you can keep your foot out of it, cruises easily at 80mph (15mpg), attracts zero attention, 6.0l gas could tow a house. one option for us is to convert it for our next stage of life :)

Regardless: congratulations on your current situation OP and good luck with the decision!

zoltani

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 02:13:13 PM »
You could get a nice 4x4 sportsmobile for that price.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »
How to balance?  You've already got enough money.  Is there anything else (hookers? blow?) that you can spend that kind of money on which is going to make you nearly as happy?  I don't have another model to recommend. You already know about RV Trader.  You've probably already seen Airstream's Nest.  I'm not going to tell you about the good times we had going cross-country hauling my dad's homemade camper that he build using plans from Popular Mechanics back in the 70's. 
Nope.  I'm going to tell you about my mother.  She needed cataract surgery like most of us will if we reach a certain age.  She had come into a small (under $10,000) inheritance just before the surgery.  Mom had the option for a certain type of lens that would mean never needing reading glasses ever.  In added a few thousand to the bill and she spent a good part of her inheritance on these optional upgraded lenses.  No readers + No magnification = Joy for an 80+ year old woman.  Now, all of her contemporaries have also had cataract surgery.  Did they pay extra for the lenses?  No.  Said one, "I didn't think I'd live long enough to get my money's worth."  My mom, bless her heart, knew that she'd get more enjoyment spending that money on herself and her vision than she would by giving it to her kids or grandkids....who already have enough.  Mom did her part.  These were her eyes!  Her vision!  One of her great pleasures in life is reading.  She's had those lenses a decade already and is closing in on 90.  Her cholesterol is awesome, doesn't need a statin.  The doctor said, "You have the arteries of a 20 year old." so she might get another decade out of those lenses.
You already know what is going to bring you joy.  And you already have every other duck lined up.  Please get this thing that you want.  Enjoy it and take good care of it before it goes on to it's next owner.  And don't work too much longer at your jobs.  Take the summers off and put some miles and memories in that camper. 

afox

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 04:17:59 PM »
I cant believe Im reading about spending $65k for a 30 year old vehicle that was a piece of shit when new on this forum.

zoltani

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »
Whats with all the newbs gatekeeping lately?

Spend some real scratch and get yourself this: https://earthroamer.com/pre-owned-133/

afox

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 04:34:06 PM »
Whats with all the newbs gatekeeping lately?

the newbs like me have nothing to lose.  u old-timers are soft and too worried about offending people.  what happened to facepunches?  how on earth could someone possibly consider spending 65k on a vehicle that was the butt of nearly half the jokes for 20 years on cartalk?  Just because other people are spending that much it is a good deal?  AYFKM!

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »
To the OP - since you wanna spend $65K on a 4WD camper thing, may I suggest this instead?  (and it's in Seattle, near you):
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/4x4-expedition-camperor-best/6565501091.html

zoltani

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 05:15:41 PM »
afox, the reason why the westy gets such a high price is that there are no other compact camper vans in the US market. The go westy restored vans do fetch 50-60k and are better than when they rolled off the factory floor. Now I would never spend that much on a VW camper van, would rather build on out or get a couch house, but I can see the appeal. I really wish we could get some more compact camper vans in the US market, there are many interesting models in Japan and Europe.

I am going the route spartana suggested and waiting a few years for the used market to get flooded. The transit and promaster vans are still pretty new and I expect a ton of these custom builds to flood the market in the future, once the whole #vanlife trend dies down (hopefully).

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 05:37:14 PM »
The Westy gets a premium because of the brand and nostalgia, not because of functionality. I adore the synchro, but let's be honest - if you're in a car accident with any other car on the road today, do you actually want to be driving one? I don't think you're ever going to want this as a daily driver. Or to haul loved ones.

I'm also amazed at the price of used Sprinters on the market. I have no idea if that will come down once all these Transits are around longer or if people will continue to pay the premium for them.

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »
I don't think these vans make very good or practical daily drivers since they are loud, inefficient and exhibit poor handling characteristics and have no modern day safety features.  Compared to any modern vehicle, they are much less comfortable and convenient to drive.  So it's essentially a purpose built vehicle for camping.  I think 65k is a high price to pay to go 3 season camping. 

If the goal is to camp on weekends or take a few trips a year, I think I would balance by  either renting a camper or maybe getting an F-150 or 1500 truck with a pop-up camper on the back for around 20-25k.  The truck setup would at least be better and safer as a daily driver (and probably get better mpg). 

Or get a fuel efficient car and some good car camping gear.  Save lots of money and splurge on the occasional cabin or hut rental during your trips. 

If the goal is to live nomadically or for frequent use, I'd get a used RV with a bathroom in it for around 20-25k. 

Orca2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 07:39:53 PM »
Well - first off - they are good for 4 season camping.  I stayed in a friends several times in the winter at a trailhead so we could get dawn patrol backcountry ski runs early and then get to work by noon.  These upgrades have propane heaters, stove, etc. 

The synchro are 4x4 - this is not for glamping at some campground - but a nice basecamp for climbing desert towers in Moab, climbing alpine in the Cascades, or some out of the way touring in Baja.  Unfortunately, I would agree they have a cache now and the prices have been going up.  https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2166987

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2144457

And holy cow- that master F350 - you could run over a lot of things with that.   A friend purchased something like that in Argentina and spent a year climbing and trekking in Patagonia with it, drove to Baja and spent another 4 months, then to the SW parks and then back to Seattle.  They likely will sell it next year.

Part of the VW upsurge is the trustafarians buying them:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhOQlLEesGQ

Same with Sprinters.  A guy in my office ended up buying a simple shell in CT because on the west coast the word is out that folks want them to modify to campers and the prices are up.

As far as a splurge - ya know - we're set.  Solid investments, still working a couple more years, good SS and medical, a house worth 4.5 times what we paid for it.  WTF?  $60k isn't going to make much of difference.

But- I think I'm holding off a couple more years.  Then I'll attend this:  https://syncrofest.com/

afox

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
But- I think I'm holding off a couple more years.  Then I'll attend this:  https://syncrofest.com/

If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do. -Warren Miller

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 08:09:47 PM »
If he waits a few more years.  The modern electric version might be available. 

https://www.designboom.com/technology/volkswagen-i-d-buzz-self-driving-electric-campervan-production-08-21-2017/

Probably no 4wd though. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 08:10:37 PM »
If there's one thing I have learned from this thread, it's that I should consider a retirement side gig in converting old vans.  I've rehabbed a sailboat, how much harder can it be?  I'm pretty sure I can turn a regular van into a luxury camper for under $20k in upgrades, doing the work myself.  If that means turning a $20k van plus $20k of supplies into a $60k sale price, then it could be a fun retirement hobby.

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 08:24:14 PM »
If there's one thing I have learned from this thread, it's that I should consider a retirement side gig in converting old vans.  I've rehabbed a sailboat, how much harder can it be?  I'm pretty sure I can turn a regular van into a luxury camper for under $20k in upgrades, doing the work myself.  If that means turning a $20k van plus $20k of supplies into a $60k sale price, then it could be a fun retirement hobby.

Totally. There's quite the cottage industry of people doing exactly this around here.  And not just vans either, I'm definitely digging this setup of a converted ambulance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6HTPAUqE-o

Orca2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »

People come from around the country to drop of their old van to these guys in Seattle for a rehab - maybe you can undercut them.

https://www.peacevansseattle.com/restorations/

They also have a rental fleet

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 09:19:43 PM »
If we go that route here are numerous vans in seattle that are a better deal than the westy.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/rvs/d/2017-ram-promaster-2500/6552299529.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/2010-sprinter-camper-van-sale/6564180765.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/d/roadtrek-popular-190-camper/6560939690.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/rvs/d/2009-pleasure-way-excel-ts/6566018716.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvd/d/2018-roadtrek-simplicity/6560786496.html

Really there are just too many to list.

Those are the style I'm interested in.  I don't want any conversions.  A $16,000 Roadtrek came up for sale locally with less than 60,000 miles, and it was sold when I checked the following day.

zoltani

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »
Well - first off - they are good for 4 season camping.  I stayed in a friends several times in the winter at a trailhead so we could get dawn patrol backcountry ski runs early and then get to work by noon.  These upgrades have propane heaters, stove, etc. 

The synchro are 4x4 - this is not for glamping at some campground - but a nice basecamp for climbing desert towers in Moab, climbing alpine in the Cascades, or some out of the way touring in Baja.  Unfortunately, I would agree they have a cache now and the prices have been going up.  https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2166987

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2144457

And holy cow- that master F350 - you could run over a lot of things with that.   A friend purchased something like that in Argentina and spent a year climbing and trekking in Patagonia with it, drove to Baja and spent another 4 months, then to the SW parks and then back to Seattle.  They likely will sell it next year.

Part of the VW upsurge is the trustafarians buying them:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhOQlLEesGQ

Same with Sprinters.  A guy in my office ended up buying a simple shell in CT because on the west coast the word is out that folks want them to modify to campers and the prices are up.

As far as a splurge - ya know - we're set.  Solid investments, still working a couple more years, good SS and medical, a house worth 4.5 times what we paid for it.  WTF?  $60k isn't going to make much of difference.

Dude, you don't need to spend 65k for a heater. Buy a marine fireplace or RV wood stove and install in whatever you buy. Typically you do not need a 4wd for climbing in moab or the cascades. Seems it could be useful in baja, but not worth the extra $$$. I've seen some sprinter vans on very sandy shitty roads in nevada. I've known people that have done the same trip as your buddy in non 4wd vehicles, sprinter, promaster, etc. You really seem to be talking yourself into the VW for the nostalgia factor alone. I guess you're willing to pay that much for nostalgia.

zoltani

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 01:36:21 PM »
If you MUST have 4wd go for something cheaper and easier to repair:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/1995-e350-4x4-camper-van-73/6565448848.html

Or if you're really nostalgic for the VW here is one for half the price
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/1984-vw-vanagon-westfalia/6563158550.html
still dumb expensive though for what it is

or get two of them for 43k
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/2-classic-vw-vanagon/6551370831.html

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 02:22:33 PM »
I saw a post in a Seattle Buy Nothing group looking for someone to drive their conversion van to Albuquerque in late May. Could be a way to try out a different type of vehicle for cheap.

afox

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
He should have bought my van, it was the best of both worlds with the camper parts from an 87 vanagon westy and the reliability of a ford e-150:
https://sites.google.com/view/ford-westy-campervan-sale/home

I just sold it a few weeks ago.  Im currently converting a brand new 2017 promaster to a camper, the promster will be my third campervan in 25 years (87 VW vanagon, ford e-150, promaster).  The vanagons are absolutely awful vehicles in most every way, even when restored, and even with a subaru engine.  When it breaks down in east bumblefuck on your vacation (and it will) and you show up at the nearest repair shop and tell Bob the mechanic you have a 30 year old german VW with an engine in the rear and radiator 15 feet forward with a bastardized subaru engine in the back they are going to laugh at you and you're going to want your $65k back.  It will look nice in the driveway though.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:39:04 PM by afox »

zoltani

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
He should have bought my van, it was the best of both worlds with the camper parts from an 87 vanagon westy and the reliability of a ford e-150:

I just sold it a few weeks ago.  Im currently converting a brand new 2017 promaster to a camper, the promster will be my third campervan in 25 years (87 VW vanagon, ford e-150, promaster).  The vanagons are absolutely awful vehicles in most every way, even when restored, and even with a subaru engine.  When it breaks down in east bumblefuck on your vacation (and it will) and you show up at the nearest repair shop and tell Bob the mechanic you have a 30 year old german VW with an engine in the rear and radiator 15 feet forward with a bastardized subaru engine in the back they are going to laugh at you and you're going to want your $65k back.  It will look nice in the driveway though.

Sweet rig! Are those off the shelf or did you build that out? Haven't seen many ford westfalias.

https://newatlas.com/westfalia-ford-nugget-plus/53580/#gallery

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/vehicles/camper-vans/marco-polo-stylish-camper-van/

See, why can't we get vans like this in the US? Whhaa Whaa I wannt itttt!!! !!!

Note that the mercedes marco polo sells for $55k in europe FOR A NEW MERCEDES CAMPER VAN!!!!! What's it take to import one of those?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:54:16 PM by zoltani »

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/vehicles/camper-vans/marco-polo-stylish-camper-van/

Note that the mercedes marco polo sells for $55k in europe FOR A NEW MERCEDES CAMPER VAN!!!!! What's it take to import one of those?

Alright, count me in for the Mercedes.  Maybe we can get a group discount...

According to their specs the thing gets 34-38 mpg, that would be pretty sweet.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2018, 08:43:03 AM »

Sweet rig! Are those off the shelf or did you build that out? Haven't seen many ford westfalias.

https://newatlas.com/westfalia-ford-nugget-plus/53580/#gallery

You don't import it. They pay YOU to come over, drive around Europe with it and then ship it for free back. Well they USE to do that but maybe its a thing of the past.

I saw 3 new vans today I've never seen before cruising around together. Some kind of mash up of a Sprinter, Mercedes, Winnebago 4x4 camper van. Think it was called a Revel or Rebel. Too big for the OPs needs but smaller than most sprinter/Mercedes vans.

I have about 4 more days before I re-start my van dwelling again and while I'm set up minimalistically how I like it in the mini van, I've been pretty obsessed looking at small van camper conversions and you are right - the European ones are much better then we have in the US.

ETA it was a Revel and looks like it comes in different sizes like the Sprinter does but all 4x4

You can't import it until it's 25 years old. :(

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »

sigh.  So pretty

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2018, 09:31:04 AM »
That Marco Polo is so sweet!  More than I need, but like others here I truly can't understand why there are not more small camper vans in the US.  Why do so few Americans care about mpg? 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »
That Marco Polo is so sweet!  More than I need, but like others here I truly can't understand why there are not more small camper vans in the US.  Why do so few Americans care about mpg?

I was starting to gather mpg data to do the math to show how little fuel costs would change over the average mileage (~5k/yr for RVs), and then found out that Westfalias are only getting 17mpg and Sprinters are capable of 20mpg.  Size doesn't really seem to translate into fuel efficiency here.