Author Topic: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.  (Read 128143 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: The "Money well spent" thread. NO INVESTMENTS ALLOWED.
« Reply #750 on: October 25, 2022, 07:24:57 AM »

Newfies are OG, generational mustachian folks who are obsessed with nature, very anti keeping up with the Joneses, and generally very happy and generous to the extreme.
Best 86K I've ever spent.

Everyone I know is in love with Newfoundland. I am personally enamored with the accents and all the different idioms, and how they differ village to village. I love meeting Newfys here on the mainland.

Our money well spent is definitely purchasing our mini-splits/thermopump system for our recently purchased 3 story house, with its many south-facing windows. We got some good rebates and it is so energy- and cost-efficient. The air-conditioning makes an enormous difference in our summertime quality of life and sleep.

Yeah, I had never even been to Newfoundland when I bought the house , it was kind of an impulse buy, but with solid investment principles behind it as a backup.

I was secretly hoping to go, fall madly in love, and never want to leave, which is exactly what happened. It's not a normal place. I've never felt more detached from the rest of the world.

Where are you on the mainland? We have family in NS and NB, and another property in NB. I love the east coast, I'm having serious difficulty being back in Ontario.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #751 on: October 26, 2022, 02:43:12 AM »
My Swiss army knife that I had made to my specifications.
Our Bosch battery operated lawn mower that we 'bought' 10 years ago. We used eco-vouchers that we received from our employers (Belgian government scheme), negotiated the deal from May to be valid in July when we received our vouchers, the DIY-store had a €100 off deal, and Bosch had a '1 battery free' deal :) It makes mowing the lawn a 15-minute, hasslefree job. We've now also 'bought' the trimmer.
Our 2 electric bicycles, also bought with eco-vouchers. I'm listed as cycling to work, which comes with a tax free reimbursement to the value of around €900/year; the bikes cost us €1,200 each. I'm making a profit and staying healthy :) (We're in Belgium).

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #752 on: October 26, 2022, 03:18:07 AM »
We just DIY-replaced our 17 year old heat pump and ducted air exchanger system with a new efficient mini-split ductless heat pump system.  Very excited to see how it performs.  It looks like we'll get a tax credit too. 

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #753 on: October 26, 2022, 05:50:20 AM »
I bought 3 disc golf discs for $20 at the beginning of the pandemic since I thought it would be a good, outdoor, socially distant activity. Fell in love with the game and play every week.  Most courses are free to play.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #754 on: October 26, 2022, 06:10:33 AM »
Private international school for my bilingual teen with ADHD.  Italian public school was a disaster for her and she was miserable even after diagnosis and a learning plan in place (which was often ignored).  This private international English language school may have literally saved her life. 

I used to be very anti private school (public school kid here myself and both kids are/were in public school until this year) but the Italian school system is very rigid and old fashioned and only works for certain kids.  We were really afraid of what might have happened if she stayed in that system. Now we need to figure out how to pay for younger kid to go to the same school when the time comes, if she wants to go there.

Definitely set back FIRE by a few years but seeing my child depressed, anxious and hating school and life every day was making me sad too. Seeing her enthusiastic about subjects she once hated due to the more modern teaching methods and nicer more approachable teachers has been amazing.  Last night she told me that her favorite subject is Latin - I definitely didn't see that one coming as she HATED languages and anything classical in her old school.  And she's on track for an A in that subject. And she has a gang of mostly English speaking but very international friends now who are just as quirky as she is.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 06:14:05 AM by Hula Hoop »

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #755 on: October 26, 2022, 06:27:42 AM »
I bought a north face backpack around 2011. I previously had cheapo backpacks that would wear out every few years, but decided to buy a fashionable brand name backpack when I had my own money in college.

Turns out my vanity unintentionally paid off. It's an incredibly durable and well thought out bag and should last much longer.

GreenQueen

• Stubble
« Reply #756 on: October 26, 2022, 08:44:30 AM »

Where are you on the mainland? We have family in NS and NB, and another property in NB. I love the east coast, I'm having serious difficulty being back in Ontario.

I hope to visit someday! And maybe fall in with love with it too. Sounds appealing to hermits like us. We are in Quebec, outside Montreal after many years in that lovely city. It is such a unique place where you are that it's not surprising you're struggling to return to Ontario.

Family friends in the US had planned a Newfoundland art and nature pilgrimage, but then had their flight from a major city on the east coast to Toronto cancelled. So they missed their connection to Saint Johns. Rather than skip their amazing trip, they drove and ferried for days to get there. No regrets, incredible memories.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #757 on: October 26, 2022, 10:41:12 AM »

I hope to visit someday! And maybe fall in with love with it too. Sounds appealing to hermits like us. We are in Quebec, outside Montreal after many years in that lovely city. It is such a unique place where you are that it's not surprising you're struggling to return to Ontario.

Family friends in the US had planned a Newfoundland art and nature pilgrimage, but then had their flight from a major city on the east coast to Toronto cancelled. So they missed their connection to Saint Johns. Rather than skip their amazing trip, they drove and ferried for days to get there. No regrets, incredible memories.

Yeah. It's hard to explain to people how *different* a place it is, how unusual it is to be surrounded by such a harsh and uncomfortably beautiful environment populated by these highly unusual people.

I've never felt so separated from the rest of the world. It reminds me of people's accounts of moving to rural Alaska. Nature sets the agenda and people have to cooperate, they have no choice.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #758 on: October 26, 2022, 09:09:24 PM »
Recent best money well spent is my move.  A lot of money, but worth it to be so much nearer to my DD and her family.

Long ago best money well spent was paying for private French High School for DD.  She got a much better education than she would have in either of our local public (English and French) high schools, and came out fluently bilingual. 

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #759 on: October 26, 2022, 09:59:39 PM »
I spent $160 and a plate of pumpkin chocolate chip bread on two + hours of a handyman’s time today. He was fabulous, efficient, and got through my entire list of fixes. The two things he didn’t do require parts which I need to procure. (Any suggestions for a non-rusting shower curtain rod?)

Anyway, all the things he did tangibly improve my home and my family’s experience living here.

I let my neighbors know too, so win-win-win for all of us.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #760 on: October 27, 2022, 12:35:42 AM »
Private international school for my bilingual teen with ADHD.  Italian public school was a disaster for her and she was miserable even after diagnosis and a learning plan in place (which was often ignored).  This private international English language school may have literally saved her life. 

I used to be very anti private school (public school kid here myself and both kids are/were in public school until this year) but the Italian school system is very rigid and old fashioned and only works for certain kids.  We were really afraid of what might have happened if she stayed in that system. Now we need to figure out how to pay for younger kid to go to the same school when the time comes, if she wants to go there.

Definitely set back FIRE by a few years but seeing my child depressed, anxious and hating school and life every day was making me sad too. Seeing her enthusiastic about subjects she once hated due to the more modern teaching methods and nicer more approachable teachers has been amazing.  Last night she told me that her favorite subject is Latin - I definitely didn't see that one coming as she HATED languages and anything classical in her old school.  And she's on track for an A in that subject. And she has a gang of mostly English speaking but very international friends now who are just as quirky as she is.
Yeah, it depends a lot of the school, and often even on the class (and teachers of that class). You can also get the opposite at private schools, the catholic schools were the students get beaten with a stick still crop up now and then. Though now that I think about it, that might have really ended, last one is a few years... let's have hope!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: October 27, 2022, 02:48:37 AM »

Yeah, it depends a lot of the school, and often even on the class (and teachers of that class). You can also get the opposite at private schools, the catholic schools were the students get beaten with a stick still crop up now and then. Though now that I think about it, that might have really ended, last one is a few years... let's have hope!

Beating students has been illegal here in Italy for a long time.  But maybe that's still considered ok in Germany?  Yikes.  At any rate, not being physically abused by your teachers should be a given not a plus. 

My daughter went to several different Italian public schools and had some good and some bad teachers.  The teaching methods here are very old fashioned and just do not work for neurodivergent brains - even with the accommodations that are required by law once a kid is diagnosed.  I know several ND Italian kids who have also suffered but, unfortunately, do not have the option of switching to a foreign educational method. 

Not sure how things are in Germany, but here they still use "chalk and talk" methods,  oral interrogations in frnt of the whole class and oral exams.  They don't spend much time learning how to write well as exams are oral.  There is also an emphasis on rote memorization, including for subjects where rote memorization shouldn't be important like literature and science.  My daughter said that it was often like watching a youtube video - classes are generally not interactive at all - the teacher just talks most of the time.  This is probably fine for 80% of kids but obviously doesn't work for that other 20%.

My younger kid, who is neurotypical, does just fine in the Italian system.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #762 on: October 27, 2022, 04:19:43 AM »
Beating is not ok (or legal) in Germany, England (where the last example I know of happened) or for that matter India (where it does happen frequently).

Ever student has a different learning style, and that may also different from topic to topic. Personally I like the "video" style, the "teacher talks students listen", though I prefer to read instead someone talking. What I do hate is rote memorization. Others shine in that...

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #763 on: October 27, 2022, 04:26:32 PM »
Delorme Inreach SE satellite communicator, got years ago used. More confident in venturing to more remote places, out of cell signal range. Still working well, with Garmin support for  older no-Garmin Inreachs. Another gear to more careful trip planning

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #764 on: October 27, 2022, 06:21:36 PM »
(Any suggestions for a non-rusting shower curtain rod?)

Aluminum doesn't rust, and it's easy to find aluminum shower rods.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Shower-Accessories-Shower-Curtain-Rods/Aluminum/N-5yc1vZcfvvZ1z0usgq

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #765 on: October 27, 2022, 06:43:41 PM »
A mobile groomer, which we used for the first time today.  Slightly more expensive than a regular groomer, but well worth it.  My reactive girls don't have to be around other dogs, the entire process is much faster, and they seemed so much happier trotting back to the house than they ever did when we  picked them up from the groomers and they seemed desperate to leave. 

We bathe them at home in between grooms, but are happy to pay someone to shave, cut nails, trim ears, etc.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 03:46:29 PM by Villanelle »

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #766 on: October 27, 2022, 07:00:27 PM »
@snic, thank you. I’ll check those out!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #767 on: October 29, 2022, 05:01:59 AM »
I continue to be quite pleased with our reverse osmosis water purifier, which we purchased during our 60-day lockdown earlier this year. It cost us ~Cdn$500. Guaranteed clean drinking water with just a simple press of a button? Priceless. Especially now, with rolling lockdowns of various durations happening across the city due to the dynamic zero COVID policy.

ColoradoTribe

• Bristles
« Reply #768 on: October 30, 2022, 11:31:08 PM »
Our 2013 LEAF was totaled a couple months back when another driver ran a red light. Very fortunate no one was injured beyond some bruises. I was curious, so I did some rough number crunching.

We purchased the car for roughly $32,000, including taxes, in 2013. At the time we took advantage of the federal ($7,500) and state ($5,500) tax credits, which effectively lowered the purchase price to $19,000. We have solar PV on our house and I estimate that we saved, on average, $600 per year on fuel and maintenance costs (no oil changes, etc.), as compared to a comparable internal combustion engine vehicle. This “savings” gets us to $13,500 left on the purchase price.

About three years ago there was a hail storm. It did $4,000 in cosmetic damage to the LEAF. After deductible, we pocketed $3,500 and never got the vehicle repaired. So, we're at $10,000 and the payout for the total loss from the other driver’s insurance was $12,000.

So, in my book, we basically drove the vehicle 9+ years and netted $2,000 above what we paid for it. We got the added satifisfaction of driving $60k miles on electrons provided by the sun. Of course we still paid annual registration fees and insurance, so the vehicle still cost us something to maintain, but the car was a great value. It was also very reliable. One new set of wipers and tires, one cabin filter change, and windshield wiper fluid is the totality of what we put into the vehicle. Charged at home on 110 wall outlet.

On of the best financial decisions we ever made.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #769 on: October 31, 2022, 05:25:56 AM »

This is a really big win @Hula Hoop — well done and congratulations!

We also pulled our ND son out of public school years ago, and it was the best decision ever.     

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #770 on: November 03, 2022, 09:39:26 AM »
I bought a north face backpack around 2011. I previously had cheapo backpacks that would wear out every few years, but decided to buy a fashionable brand name backpack when I had my own money in college.

Turns out my vanity unintentionally paid off. It's an incredibly durable and well thought out bag and should last much longer.

Tom Bihn backpacks and other gear.  Pricey but well made, with a lifetime warranty; and they also hold their value well on the secondary market.   

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #771 on: November 03, 2022, 10:23:30 AM »
Our 2013 LEAF was totaled a couple months back when another driver ran a red light. Very fortunate no one was injured beyond some bruises. I was curious, so I did some rough number crunching.

We purchased the car for roughly $32,000, including taxes, in 2013. At the time we took advantage of the federal ($7,500) and state ($5,500) tax credits, which effectively lowered the purchase price to $19,000. We have solar PV on our house and I estimate that we saved, on average, $600 per year on fuel and maintenance costs (no oil changes, etc.), as compared to a comparable internal combustion engine vehicle. This “savings” gets us to $13,500 left on the purchase price.

About three years ago there was a hail storm. It did $4,000 in cosmetic damage to the LEAF. After deductible, we pocketed $3,500 and never got the vehicle repaired. So, we're at $10,000 and the payout for the total loss from the other driver’s insurance was $12,000.

So, in my book, we basically drove the vehicle 9+ years and netted $2,000 above what we paid for it. We got the added satifisfaction of driving $60k miles on electrons provided by the sun. Of course we still paid annual registration fees and insurance, so the vehicle still cost us something to maintain, but the car was a great value. It was also very reliable. One new set of wipers and tires, one cabin filter change, and windshield wiper fluid is the totality of what we put into the vehicle. Charged at home on 110 wall outlet.

On of the best financial decisions we ever made.

A few years ago, some electric cars like the Bolt and eGolf were offering incredibly good lease terms, partly due to low interest rates, partly due to low demand for those cars, and partly due to federal and state incentives. My brother in law leased a series of these cars for less than $100 per month. He also never charged them at home - he charged only for free at work.

RExplorer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #772 on: November 03, 2022, 12:28:56 PM »
+1 on Tom Bihn.  Everything I’ve purchased from them still looks new, even the bag I use as my carry-on.   They really hold up well. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #773 on: November 04, 2022, 08:10:46 AM »
I didn't even know this was a thing and just spent 20 minutes perusing websites. What exactly did you get?

NorthernFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #774 on: November 04, 2022, 11:28:36 AM »
We hired a painter.
Wife pressured me to hire a painter to finish painting our bedroom after we stripped the wallpaper (112 year old house with old walls in kinda tough shape). Being very frugal I really wanted to do it myself but I caved to pressure. $2800 for one room about 14x16 walls and ceiling. No trim (stained). It took 3 younger healthy pros 2 solid days to sand, skim coat / repair and paint the walls and ceiling. 6 professional man days translates to about 10 of my old man days so I saved about 5 weekends of work pain and stiffness. I came home from work and it was just done, and done well. I wouldn't want to do this for every room or every project but in this instance it was "money well spent".

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #775 on: November 04, 2022, 01:13:02 PM »
I didn't even know this was a thing and just spent 20 minutes perusing websites. What exactly did you get?

I would love a Victorinox with only the tools I actually want. As it is, I can't find an option that has the combo I'd find most perfectly useful.

Long blade
Short blade
Saw
Scissors
Bottle opener
Can opener

I'd even be willing to give up the can/bottle openers to get a slimmer profile, but all the slim profile options give up either the saw or scissors. I really don't need the hook, corkscrew, or awl, and would love to have a genuine needle with a sewing eye instead of the toothpick.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #776 on: November 07, 2022, 03:52:23 AM »

Long blade
Short blade
Can opener
Nail file
Bottle opener /screw driver
Awl
Tweezers
Toothpick
Corkscrew

I bought it from a cobbler's who had a display case with several ready-made swiss army knives, and a poster with all possible attachments. I picked the attachments I wanted, which was not one of the ready-made ones, he filled in the order sheet with me, and about a fortnight later, I picked up my knife.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #777 on: November 07, 2022, 04:23:57 AM »
Business class train tickets.

I used to always book business class when it was a work expense, but I had to take travel for a medical appointment and decided to try a regular fare was less than half the price.

Well...my regular fare ride there involved being sat beside a young, crusty looking man in a black hoodie who stunk of cigarettes, which I'm allergic to. He was also reading a well worn copy of a book about human sacrifice, which was heavily highlighted and underlines. And he was VERY chatty.

So I upgraded to business class on the way back, which was great since we were delayed by an hour and I had my nice, big, cozy seat with a foot rest, and no seat neighbour.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #778 on: November 07, 2022, 05:37:40 AM »
Changed out all my Rigid tool boxes for Milwaukee Packouts. Mostly the boxes with pull out drawers. It's so much easier to find tools being far better organized and it has greatly increased my workflow. Before I would toss my tools into large toolboxes and then have to sift around looking for the tool I actually need. Now all the drawers and boxes are labeled and organized and I know exactly where to get the tool I need.

At the same time, I got rid of my air compressor and nail guns and replaced them with battery operated nail guns from Milwaukee. No more getting caught up in the hose line and having to untangle it constantly. It's also freed up space.

It was quite an expensive endeavor but will pay for itself over time and more. 

darkskys

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #779 on: November 07, 2022, 05:47:01 AM »
Dog training. Really “training owner to communicate with dog”. It’s been a lot of work but those lessons taught me to train my dog into a very pleasant animal. He’s actually allowed into family members homes that normally don’t allow dogs because he’s so well behaved.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #780 on: November 07, 2022, 06:57:45 AM »

This is a really big win @Hula Hoop — well done and congratulations!

We also pulled our ND son out of public school years ago, and it was the best decision ever.   

Thanks!  This is interesting as I heard that schools in the US were light years ahead of here for awareness of neurodiverse issues.  But maybe that depends on the school district like most things regarding schooling in the US. 

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #781 on: November 07, 2022, 07:50:37 AM »
Not sure if this counts, but I'm excited to share anyway:

We adopted a senior kitty yesterday!  She is alleged to be 20 yrs old and came from rural southern Virginia shelter, covered in fleas, emaciated, but purring.

$150 is money well spent, since I slept like a baby last night, and look forward to easing her into a life of soft blankets, sunny windows, and movie nights.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #782 on: November 07, 2022, 07:52:45 AM »
Thanks!  This is interesting as I heard that schools in the US were light years ahead of here for awareness of neurodiverse issues.  But maybe that depends on the school district like most things regarding schooling in the US.
In my experience, awareness is not the issue, nor is there a lack of willingness to help the kids.  However, awareness isn't enough.  You can have all the IEPs and BIPs you want, but schools can still fail to address every ND student's needs in the most effective way.  I can't really fault them for it too badly, though--between all the unfunded mandates and labor constraints (our local district was short by over 100 special ed staff at the beginning of this year), the industrial nature of public schooling, and the push for mainstreaming ND students, it's a really hard problem to tackle in the best of times.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #783 on: November 08, 2022, 03:23:02 AM »
In my experience, awareness is not the issue, nor is there a lack of willingness to help the kids.  However, awareness isn't enough.  You can have all the IEPs and BIPs you want, but schools can still fail to address every ND student's needs in the most effective way.  I can't really fault them for it too badly, though--between all the unfunded mandates and labor constraints (our local district was short by over 100 special ed staff at the beginning of this year), the industrial nature of public schooling, and the push for mainstreaming ND students, it's a really hard problem to tackle in the best of times.

Yes, obviously, schools can only do so much with what little funding they get.  Here in Italy, while by law schools have to abide by a learning plan for ND kids, teachers get no training at all on learning differences and there is often very little understanding from teachers.  So they give extra time for tests etc because that's easy but the more subtle stuff is more difficult -especially with big classes.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #784 on: November 08, 2022, 06:06:55 AM »

Yes, obviously, schools can only do so much with what little funding they get.  Here in Italy, while by law schools have to abide by a learning plan for ND kids, teachers get no training at all on learning differences and there is often very little understanding from teachers.  So they give extra time for tests etc because that's easy but the more subtle stuff is more difficult -especially with big classes.

Yes, this^ is what we experienced in our small rural school district in the US.  Even though by law they were required to offer help, in practice they just couldn't do it.  The teachers were untrained, overworked, and -- in one case -- openly opposed to any "special treatment" for students.  At the district level, there were no resources for additional, non-teacher help.  Our son was getting seriously depressed and not learning anything. 

In our rural location there were unfortunately no private schools within reasonable driving distance, so our only other option was homeschooling.  That's what we did, and it turned out really well.  Our son homeschooled from 2nd through 9th grade, then re-entered public school in 10th grade after we moved to a different state.  He's doing great in regular high school classes and enjoying himself.  I'm not sure what resources there are in his current high school for ND students.  When he enrolled we notified the school of his ND, but he hasn't needed any help so far.   

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #785 on: November 08, 2022, 06:09:02 AM »

We adopted a senior kitty yesterday!  She is alleged to be 20 yrs old and came from rural southern Virginia shelter, covered in fleas, emaciated, but purring.

$150 is money well spent, since I slept like a baby last night, and look forward to easing her into a life of soft blankets, sunny windows, and movie nights.

Yes that does count @RainyDay!  Congratulations, and thank you for my smile for the day. 

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #786 on: November 08, 2022, 06:39:43 AM »

Yes, this^ is what we experienced in our small rural school district in the US.  Even though by law they were required to offer help, in practice they just couldn't do it.  The teachers were untrained, overworked, and -- in one case -- openly opposed to any "special treatment" for students.  At the district level, there were no resources for additional, non-teacher help.  Our son was getting seriously depressed and not learning anything. 

In our rural location there were unfortunately no private schools within reasonable driving distance, so our only other option was homeschooling.  That's what we did, and it turned out really well.  Our son homeschooled from 2nd through 9th grade, then re-entered public school in 10th grade after we moved to a different state.  He's doing great in regular high school classes and enjoying himself.  I'm not sure what resources there are in his current high school for ND students.  When he enrolled we notified the school of his ND, but he hasn't needed any help so far.

Glad it worked out so well for your son.  My daughter has said many times that homeschooling would be a disaster for her. and I agree  But I've seen it work well for some ND kids. 

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #787 on: November 08, 2022, 07:40:37 AM »

Beautiful!

My "money well spent" is probably the pennies I spent making my first sourdough starter, it has since yielded hundreds of loaves. I make one loaf (minimum) a week. I've been using it for many years.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #788 on: November 08, 2022, 05:06:39 PM »
Marmot down sleeping bag, hands down. It was scorchingly expensive when I bought it 22 years ago. But I still use it regularly, 22 years later.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #789 on: November 09, 2022, 08:06:04 AM »
Marmot down sleeping bag, hands down. It was scorchingly expensive when I bought it 22 years ago. But I still use it regularly, 22 years later.

Oh, if we're going to be all THAT way, took my first real-job bonus and banked half of it, then spent the other half on a lady-frame backpack and a feathered friends winter sleeping bag. I don't use the bag all that much (winter camping isn't my thing, and I actually got a much lighter-weight bag later, although it's AWESOME to have when we're fall camping and the nights are below freezing), but the backpack -- I use that several times/year, for the past 20+ years.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #790 on: November 09, 2022, 08:21:01 AM »
Glad it worked out so well for your son.  My daughter has said many times that homeschooling would be a disaster for her. and I agree  But I've seen it work well for some ND kids.

Yes, glad it worked out so well for you.

We signed up for a home school program. The materials and the online program seemed to be top notch though our child quickly refused to participate after previously being enthusiastic about the program. Lots of emotional issues at that moment.

Time away from school plus lax online schooling during COVID gave our teen time and space to sort through things. That was valuable for them.

DW is good at looking for non-traditional solutions, I've been the traditional parent lecturing about working harder and managing time better, etc which I'm realizing now that our kids are grown - isn't effective with our kids... ;)

Our teen is back at school and thriving. This is all on teen and DW - its their success. I'm very thankful.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 08:23:48 AM by Just Joe »

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #791 on: November 15, 2022, 12:24:26 PM »
Wool clothing for winter.  So much easier to keep the house set to a lower temp when wearing wool.

Stalking sales is helpful in reducing the amount of money spent.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #792 on: November 15, 2022, 01:39:39 PM »
Wool clothing for winter.  So much easier to keep the house set to a lower temp when wearing wool.

My problem is that, since I don't heat the other rooms, there is always a cool draft at my feets in the winter. Even if I would have gloves for my toes, it would be too hard to walk...

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #793 on: November 16, 2022, 08:10:37 AM »

My problem is that, since I don't heat the other rooms, there is always a cool draft at my feets in the winter. Even if I would have gloves for my toes, it would be too hard to walk...

Wool slippers or fleece lined leather ones are both good at keeping out drafts, especially if you wear wool socks with them.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #794 on: November 17, 2022, 02:02:27 AM »

Wool slippers or fleece lined leather ones are both good at keeping out drafts, especially if you wear wool socks with them.
Boot-type slippers with thick soles, and maybe insulating inlays.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #795 on: November 17, 2022, 02:04:45 AM »
We live in a drafty old house with tile floors and crappy heating here in Italy and we swear by ugg boots as slippers.  So toasty.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #796 on: November 17, 2022, 02:59:05 AM »
We live in a drafty old house with tile floors and crappy heating here in Italy and we swear by ugg boots as slippers.  So toasty.
Uh.. thank you for the hint, but those uggly boots are too heavy for me feeling well in house. Also the price is toasty too :D

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #797 on: November 17, 2022, 06:30:28 AM »
Uh.. thank you for the hint, but those uggly boots are too heavy for me feeling well in house. Also the price is toasty too :D

How about Crocs or similar slip-in shoes?  That's what I wear in the winter (with socks) when the floors are cold.  And they're cheap and last forever.     

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #798 on: November 17, 2022, 09:10:29 AM »

How about Crocs or similar slip-in shoes?  That's what I wear in the winter (with socks) when the floors are cold.  And they're cheap and last forever.     
That's what I do like about 99% of all Germans ;) But crocs are the things with holes, right? Way too cool. In the real cold winter I wear short thick socks under long thin socks.
The thing is that i have club foot(it's really called that?) and scars for 2/3 of the length of the lower legs.  That part needs to be warmed too.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #799 on: November 17, 2022, 09:37:03 AM »

There are house slippers, with cozy fur-like lining, and hard soles. (I like the hard soles, in case I have to go get the mail or something). Like these:

DREAM PAIRS Slippers for Women, House Fuzzy Fluffy Furry Christmas Moccasins Slippers - Warm Faux Fur Lining - Bedroom Indoor Outdoor Non Slip Cozy Cute Slipper

I bought a pair of Dream Pairs slipper booties several years ago, and they've held up really well, for under $40.