Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204882 times)

ormaybemidgets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #1250 on: December 04, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »
What also makes me laugh when we do have a storm on the way, people run to the stores and stock up on milk and bread!

We call it a French Toast Emergency.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1251 on: December 04, 2018, 04:54:09 PM »
What also makes me laugh when we do have a storm on the way, people run to the stores and stock up on milk and bread!

We call it a French Toast Emergency.

I remember my parents panicking about milk and bread before snowstorms. It always perplexed me because there were only three people in the house, the pantry and fridge were stocked, and none of us drank much milk anyway. I blame baby boomer conditioning.

Whenever we have a predicted big snowstorm, I might make a quick trip to the grocery store if we’re out of things and I had already been planning to shop. Otherwise, we’ve had some cozy and memorable snowstorm meals entirely from our fridge and pantry, including a beautiful roast pork and apples when we got 16 inches of snow in 24 hours a couple of years ago and crab cakes, rice pilaf, and edamame last Christmas Eve (7 inches of snow in 6 hours, which cancelled all alternate plans).

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #1252 on: December 04, 2018, 06:18:27 PM »

On those days, just stay home.
.... or you drive slowly. I love driving on empty streets after it was broadcasted everywhere that everyone should refrain from driving.
There are also winter tires and chains on tires available.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #1253 on: December 04, 2018, 06:54:48 PM »
A few weeks ago, that Friday before the Veterans day, we had a snow storm with a bit of blizzard. It was a bit hard to see, so everyone was driving very slow, almost crawling. When I checked my phone, it said 45 min delay, well, yes it took me an hour to get to work, when usually it's a 10-15 min drive. The funniest thing on the road were 4 different cars, all SUVs, they stopped in the middle of the road and refused to move forward or to the curb. They just stopped in the middle, 4 different cars on a stretch of 30 blocks and the rest of us sloooowly drove around them. I am convinced those were drivers from warmer states in a state of shock.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1254 on: December 04, 2018, 08:57:21 PM »

On those days, just stay home.
.... or you drive slowly. I love driving on empty streets after it was broadcasted everywhere that everyone should refrain from driving.
There are also winter tires and chains on tires available.

This. Almost any snowy/icy road is drivable if you go the speed that the conditions dictate. People get upset because they can't go the speed limit, but those limits are made for optimal (read: dry) conditions. Also, snow tires are everything.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1255 on: December 05, 2018, 03:03:24 AM »
speaking of roads- Rubber Necking as we call it here. Someone goes off the road or on the side and everyone has to look to see whats going on. Keep the traffic moving people. Sometimes this seems to cause the biggest delays!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1256 on: December 05, 2018, 05:18:52 AM »
Also, I wouldn't count on having my driveway plowed out by 6 AM - most of the services deal with commercial lots first, and then get to residential customers.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1257 on: December 05, 2018, 06:52:51 AM »
I hated shoveling snow from my driveway when I lived in Germany.  But by German law if the postal guy (or anyone else really) slips and breaks his ass, it's your ass that's in hock for it.  A reasonable position, all things considered though it didn't make me warmer or less vexed.  Sometimes it meant shoveling for 30 minutes each time at 6 AM, Noon, and 6 PM every day.

As someone who has never lived more than a few dozen miles from a California beach, this is always shocking to me to hear.  I don't know where people get the extra time to do all this work in the winter!  To bring this back to the "I don't get it" topic of the thread...I really don't get it!  What kinds of things do you all have to give up doing in winter to have time to shovel driveways, scrape windshields, etc.?

I would like to ask the question what do you do that takes up so much of your time that you wouldn't have time to shovel and clean cars off of snow if you had it? What busy things are you doing?

Well, often just sleeping...  I have to be at work by 7:00, and daycare drop off by 6:30-6:45. I need to wake up in time to get myself, and my children ready for the day.
To wake up to shovel the driveway, assuming I knew it was going to snow, means waking up an hour or more early.

If you live where it snows and drive anywhere, you always know if it's going to snow the next day . . . because it can mean the difference between a 30 minute drive and an hour and a half drive.  :P

Certainly I know when snow is forecasted- but I've been surprised by 6+ inches of snow when they forecast 1/2". 
I don't plan to wake up to shovel when less than 2 inches is in the forecast. I just drive over that.

So, no, I don't "always" know if it's going to snow.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1258 on: December 05, 2018, 07:15:41 AM »
Certainly I know when snow is forecasted- but I've been surprised by 6+ inches of snow when they forecast 1/2". 
I don't plan to wake up to shovel when less than 2 inches is in the forecast. I just drive over that.

That's interesting, because I don't think I've ever seen the forecasters underestimate the quantity of snow.  It's always "snowmageddon" or "blizzapacolypse" and we end up with an inch or two.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1259 on: December 05, 2018, 07:47:52 AM »

That's interesting, because I don't think I've ever seen the forecasters underestimate the quantity of snow.  It's always "snowmageddon" or "blizzapacolypse" and we end up with an inch or two.

Happened to us last Christmas Eve. We were expecting an inch or two. Got seven in a six-hour period, with whiteout conditions part of the time.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1260 on: December 05, 2018, 07:51:48 AM »

Happened to us last Christmas Eve. We were expecting an inch or two. Got seven in a six-hour period, with whiteout conditions part of the time.

We just had the opposite happen last week. We were suppose to get 3-6" + and we got a flake or two. Storm shifted a tad south and 20 miles south of us they got 11". 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1261 on: December 05, 2018, 07:57:34 AM »

We just had the opposite happen last week. We were suppose to get 3-6" + and we got a flake or two. Storm shifted a tad south and 20 miles south of us they got 11".

The underestimation happens a lot. (Which is also a pain when you wake up to shovel and nothing is there! No sleeping in the winter.... )

We had a storm last week that was so striated my office mate who lives 5 miles from me got 8" and I got about 1".
She worked from home. 
(Sadly, work from home is not an option for me, because you are not allowed to do so with children present. So if I have no child care, I get a PTO day instead.)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1262 on: December 05, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »

What kinds of things do you all have to give up doing in winter to have time to shovel driveways, scrape windshields, etc.?

Gardening and mowing the lawn.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1263 on: December 08, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »

We had a storm last week that was so striated my office mate who lives 5 miles from me got 8" and I got about 1".
She worked from home. 
(Sadly, work from home is not an option for me, because you are not allowed to do so with children present. So if I have no child care, I get a PTO day instead.)

Yeah, they actually closed our office the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend because of a blizzard. I didn't see the notification until I was already dressed and ready to go. I looked outside, saw a couple inches, shrugged, wondered why we'd closed, and figured that if the trains were running I'd go in since I had deadlines and our 5 other offices were still open. The trains in the city were fine. Apparently, once you get a little bit away from the lakefront (where I live and where my work is), people got up to a foot! (And a lot of people at my work live out that way).

I don't get live Christmas trees. I mean, I get the theory. They look nice. They smell like pine, which, if that's a thing you're into, is probably enjoyable and Christmasy.

But, OMG, I can't believe how expensive they are! I've never had one. Today I walked through a Christmas tree lot near me while taking a shortcut home, and got sticker shock. The highest price one I saw was $270! Most were in the $75 to $100 range. They had some "value trees" for $40-$50. So out of curiosity I went and found those; they were less than 3 feet tall and looked kind of like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.

So, let me get this straight - people buy one of these things every year, drag it home tied to the top of their car, then you have to water it and take care of it, keep your pets (and small children, I assume, I'm not a parent) away from it and make sure they don't drink the tree water, it's going to drop pine needles which you then get in your feet (and possibly in your pets' feet and kids' feet).... and then you toss it. (At least here you can get it composted - for a price.) And do that all again next year, and the next. Yikes.

I think I'll stick to my fake tree, which has lasted many years, requires no care, and cost me maybe $40.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1264 on: December 08, 2018, 04:33:30 PM »
My dad and I wandered into the woods and cut down a tree every year when I was a kid.  70$ for a tree is ridiculous.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #1265 on: December 08, 2018, 07:26:05 PM »

It's always "snowmageddon" or "blizzapacolypse" and we end up with an inch or two.
+1 to chelovek zolotiyeruki
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:29:20 PM by ilsy »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1266 on: December 09, 2018, 03:52:40 AM »

She worked from home. 

I don't get live Christmas trees. I mean, I get the theory. They look nice. They smell like pine, which, if that's a thing you're into, is probably enjoyable and Christmasy.

But, OMG, I can't believe how expensive they are! I've never had one. Today I walked through a Christmas tree lot near me while taking a shortcut home, and got sticker shock. The highest price one I saw was $270! Most were in the $75 to $100 range. They had some "value trees" for $40-$50. So out of curiosity I went and found those; they were less than 3 feet tall and looked kind of like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.

So, let me get this straight - people buy one of these things every year, drag it home tied to the top of their car, then you have to water it and take care of it, keep your pets (and small children, I assume, I'm not a parent) away from it and make sure they don't drink the tree water, it's going to drop pine needles which you then get in your feet (and possibly in your pets' feet and kids' feet).... and then you toss it. (At least here you can get it composted - for a price.) And do that all again next year, and the next. Yikes.

I think I'll stick to my fake tree, which has lasted many years, requires no care, and cost me maybe $40.

Wow, why are they so expensive over there? You will find trees in the €10-€15 price range where I live. There are trees that are a bit more expensive, but those are massive and most people don't live in a mansion, so they won't need a tree that large. My main problem with fake trees is that they come in a big box that needs to be stored somewhere. I don't have the space to store a big box like that year-round.

We don't have a tree most years, but when we do it's a live one. We don't have kids or animals, watering the tree is not more complicated than watering any other plants in the home and I sweep around the tree every few days to get rid of the needles. The smell is amazing.

When I lived at home, we'd plant the tree in the garden after Christmas and bring it back in the next year, until it grew so big it couldn't be brought indoors anymore.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1267 on: December 09, 2018, 04:48:46 AM »
I think the last time we went out to the tree farm, the tree was around $40 - and you got a horse drawn wagon ride and hot cocoa, so it was an excursion, not just the tree. And every single tree was perfect.

But it’s either incredibly cold or really muddy in December, so I’m not cutting down any more Christmas trees now that the kids are grown.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1268 on: December 10, 2018, 09:26:28 AM »
For several years we'd buy a "ball tree", a tree with a root ball. After Christmas was over we'd haul it outside and plant it on the property line. That was at a previous house. We drove by that house recently and those Christmas trees were taller than the house.They were doing what we wanted them to do - a visual break for the property line.

Previous threads:

SUVs: sedans are fine but their fuel economy advantage is disappearing. When a person can buy an SUV that gets 30 mpg vs a sedan that gets 40 mpg, the SUV can look pretty good. True its more expensive but it could have AWD and has that station wagon body which is far more useful than a sedan trunk for my family anyhow. If I was buying a vehicle to go long distances with it would likely be a low wagon. IRL though we make alot of short trips around town and the SUV is easier to get in and out and to shop with. We bought a smaller SUV (a CUV) so its still easy to drive and park.

The 2020 Toyota Tacoma turbo diesel hybrid 4WD. 40+ mpg in a 4WD truck I hear...

I have nothing against tiny cars. We own one. it is best for running around town by myself or needing to park in some urban place. But in many parts of the world there is no advantage to tiny cars. In fact they are limited in every category but MPG. I don't need the MPG b/c we drive so little most weeks. Instead like someone said up thread - own one comfortable vehicle and one gas sipper choose based on fuel economy. We focus on the TCO so MPG is only part of the equation.

I'm convinced that the average consumer wants a mid-1930s sedan whether they know it or not. That is very much what a CUV is if the off-road styling cues were dropped. Do a Google Image search for "1935 fordor sedan". There is the higher upright seating position, plenty of leg room, reasonably compact CUV footprint, not like a late 50s car which is a mile long and 3/4 of a mile wide, etc. Just lacks the tailgate. I for one don't value sitting close to the floor like a modern sedan as I get older. Okay, the seating position is okay, just not as easy getting in and out. 

Med food - I wasn't clear. DW and I love foods of all sorts - especially Mediterranean foods. The options around here for really flavorful Mediterranean food has been somewhat limited. The restaurants that have thrived are the ones that don't focus on exotic spices too much. We have a couple that do and we frequent them as we are able. A new option has opened but we haven't tried them yet. Also we have a new Indian restaurant to try.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1269 on: December 10, 2018, 11:54:38 PM »
My dad and I wandered into the woods and cut down a tree every year when I was a kid.  70$ for a tree is ridiculous.

With your bare hands?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1270 on: December 11, 2018, 07:39:29 AM »

With your bare hands?

That whole movie is disturbingly close to what my childhood Christmases were like.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #1271 on: December 11, 2018, 09:06:54 AM »

With your bare hands?

That whole movie is disturbingly close to what my childhood Christmases were like.

Recognize Russ? That’s Johnny Glaecki, Leonard from Big Bang Theory. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1272 on: December 11, 2018, 09:21:17 AM »

With your bare hands?

I've never watched Big Bang Theory.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1273 on: December 12, 2018, 12:07:53 AM »

With your bare hands?

Did you watch Roseanne? 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1274 on: December 12, 2018, 07:27:25 AM »

With your bare hands?

Did you watch Roseanne?

Also no.  I could tolerate Seinfeld, Fraiser, and Community . . . other sitcoms not so much.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1275 on: December 12, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
It's the compacted snow trying to turn to rock and ice at the bottom of the driveway after the plow comes through that I'm really paying for.  The rest is easy.

I'm like a ninja getting out there to shovel that shit as soon as the plow comes by. Get rid of it before it turns too hard.

The worst is when the plow comes by at 3:00 am and I have to wait until I wake up to shovel.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1276 on: December 12, 2018, 02:21:20 PM »
It's the compacted snow trying to turn to rock and ice at the bottom of the driveway after the plow comes through that I'm really paying for.  The rest is easy.

I'm like a ninja getting out there to shovel that shit as soon as the plow comes by. Get rid of it before it turns too hard.

The worst is when the plow comes by at 3:00 am and I have to wait until I wake up to shovel.

Around here it doesn't matter how early you get out to shovel the snow.  The plow will blast the end of your driveway with heavy compacted snow every time it passes.  Even shoveling the first four feet in front of your driveway doesn't prevent this.  :P

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1277 on: December 17, 2018, 03:28:51 AM »
Why learner car drivers have to be in a car with a competent adult at all times, but learners motorcyclists can apparently get jobs and zoom around London with wild abandon. Please, genuinely, what is the thinking on this? How is it legal to employ a learner for a job that involves driving?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1278 on: December 17, 2018, 05:55:33 AM »

Around here it doesn't matter how early you get out to shovel the snow.  The plow will blast the end of your driveway with heavy compacted snow every time it passes.  Even shoveling the first four feet in front of your driveway doesn't prevent this.  :P

Truth. And that driveway iceberg doesn't melt until March, at least.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1279 on: December 17, 2018, 06:42:25 AM »
Why learner car drivers have to be in a car with a competent adult at all times, but learners motorcyclists can apparently get jobs and zoom around London with wild abandon. Please, genuinely, what is the thinking on this? How is it legal to employ a learner for a job that involves driving?
This one is pretty simple.  The amount of damage a motorcycle can do to others and property is far lower than a car.  Similarly, motorcycle insurance is far less expensive than car insurance (in the US).

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1280 on: December 17, 2018, 07:41:16 AM »

Right but the earlier you get out there after the plow comes by, the easier it is to shovel. It's hard/compacted from the plow but it will get harder/more compacted the longer it sits there before you shovel.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1281 on: December 17, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »

Truth. And that driveway iceberg doesn't melt until March, at least.

At our old house, because of how the curve of the street worked, we had to put a hold on our mail starting in January, and pick it up from the post office every 2-3 weeks.  There was no possible way to clear the ice boulders in front of our mailbox, and if the USPS truck couldn't come to the curb, with 4 feet on either side of the mailbox they would not deliver mail.  (Note that our curb was not even 4 feet long, much less 4 feet on either side.) We found if we put a "vacation hold" on it, they wouldn't return it to sender.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1282 on: December 17, 2018, 08:28:04 AM »
This one is pretty simple.  The amount of damage a motorcycle can do to others and property is far lower than a car.  Similarly, motorcycle insurance is far less expensive than car insurance (in the US).

But there is literally a sign on the bike that basically says "Hi, I'm not yet competent to be on the roads!" How can they get a JOB like that??

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1283 on: December 17, 2018, 09:12:36 AM »

But there is literally a sign on the bike that basically says "Hi, I'm not yet competent to be on the roads!" How can they get a JOB like that??
Now, that's a real "I don't get it!"  They definitely shouldn't be able to get a job then.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1284 on: December 20, 2018, 03:43:16 PM »

Go fast enough and a motorcycle will BURY itself into the side of a car killing everyone in the car and on the bike.

https://motorbikewriter.com/should-bikes-have-auto-indicators/

Haven't read the article, just using the picture to illustrate my point. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1285 on: December 20, 2018, 04:04:14 PM »
It doesn't matter. People drive like maniacs with no regard to the rules set by the State they drive in.

People disregard the speed limit at all times.
People tailgate like there is a magnet on the front of their vehicles...must tailgate at all times.
People don't turn on headlights when it is raining. Sometimes at night they don't turn them on while driving on the interstate when it is pitch black...why?
People don't clear off the snow on the top of their vehicles which can cause a serious accident when it turns into an ice slab.
People pass in no passing zones.
People travel slow in the fast lane and won't move over.
In my state is is illegal to use the cell phone when driving. Do you think that stops anyone? What is so important that people can't put down the phone for a short period of time? Did their kid get kidnapped and they are on the way to drop off some ransom money?

It is endless. People behind the wheel are stupid and beyond rude.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1286 on: December 21, 2018, 08:15:02 AM »
It doesn't matter. People drive like maniacs with no regard to the rules set by the State they drive in.

People disregard the speed limit at all times.
People tailgate like there is a magnet on the front of their vehicles...must tailgate at all times.
People don't turn on headlights when it is raining. Sometimes at night they don't turn them on while driving on the interstate when it is pitch black...why?
People don't clear off the snow on the top of their vehicles which can cause a serious accident when it turns into an ice slab.
People pass in no passing zones.
People travel slow in the fast lane and won't move over.
In my state is is illegal to use the cell phone when driving. Do you think that stops anyone? What is so important that people can't put down the phone for a short period of time? Did their kid get kidnapped and they are on the way to drop off some ransom money?

It is endless. People behind the wheel are stupid and beyond rude.

You can't make it perfect, but there exist ways to fix many of these problems.  Collectively we have decided that the deaths from automobile "accidents" aren't worth the effort.

If you want people to drive more slowly, don't make straight, wide roads.  People naturally slow down when they have to make many turns and when roads are narrower because they don't feel as safe driving at high speeds.  Make a cell phone signal jammer mandatory equipment that is tied to the starter of every car (and make testing for them a regular part of traffic stops with a heafty fine if it's not working/disabled).  They're quite cheap and wouldn't be hard to manufacture.  Make the head-lighting system in cars come on when the vehicle is put into gear.  Automated cameras around red lights and in passing zones along with hefty fines would help to reduce much of the bad behaviour related to people knowing that there's a low possibility of getting caught.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1287 on: December 21, 2018, 08:43:23 AM »

With your bare hands?

You mean the ugly guy with no self confidence,  in Big Bang Theory who, of course, like so many other sitcoms,  dates the beautiful self confident blonde?     

That's a thing I don't get.  Why does the ugly guy always get attractive women in sitcoms?  So all us ugly guys can live vicariously?    OK, just kidding, lol, but am I right ?  Same thing with George Costanza in Seinfeld.     

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1288 on: December 21, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »

With your bare hands?

You mean the ugly guy with no self confidence,  in Big Bang Theory who, of course, like so many other sitcoms,  dates the beautiful self confident blonde?     

That's a thing I don't get.  Why does the ugly guy always get attractive women in sitcoms?  So all us ugly guys can live vicariously?    OK, just kidding, lol, but am I right ?  Same thing with George Costanza in Seinfeld.   

Men get to see an ugly guy like them dating an attractive women like they wish they did.  Women get to see an ugly guy like their significant other dating an attractive women like them.  Everyone is happy.  :P

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1289 on: December 21, 2018, 11:49:59 AM »

With your bare hands?

Men get to see an ugly guy like them dating an attractive women like they wish they did.  Women get to see an ugly guy like their significant other dating an attractive women like them.  Everyone is happy.  :P

Johnny Glaecki, Leonard from Big Bang Theory, and David from Rosanne ('80's),  Sara Gilbert, Leslie Winkle in Big Bang Theory  is Darlene Conner.  Oddly enough the characters  "hook up" in both shows, the actors  apparently dated early.    We now leave "Peephole" magazine and return you to your serious MMM forum thread.   Agree with GuitarStv, never thought of the woman's version (obviously, but hoping it is true).

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1290 on: December 21, 2018, 03:34:24 PM »

With your bare hands?

Cause men write shows.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1291 on: December 21, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »
Cause men write shows.

You believe that women would prefer to watch shows with ugly women who have smoking hot boyfriends?

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1292 on: December 21, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
Cause men write shows.

You believe that women would prefer to watch shows with ugly women who have smoking hot boyfriends?

No. I just think generally in society people are with people who are a similar level of attractiveness to them. This doesnt apply to every relationship obviously.

But when some men write shows they will have the "geeky" guy get the hot girl or a guy who looks like them get a girl who in real life probably wouldn't be interested. 

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1293 on: December 21, 2018, 10:07:13 PM »

With your bare hands?

Johnny Glaecki, Leonard from Big Bang Theory, and David from Rosanne ('80's),  Sara Gilbert, Leslie Winkle in Big Bang Theory  is Darlene Conner.  Oddly enough the characters  "hook up" in both shows, the actors  apparently dated early.    We now leave "Peephole" magazine and return you to your serious MMM forum thread.   Agree with GuitarStv, never thought of the woman's version (obviously, but hoping it is true).

Or.....hear me out here....IT'S COMEDY. The ugly guy gets a hot girlfriend precisely because it's an unlikely match-up, and therefore can lead to more comedic situations. I mean, that's why they're called sit[uational]com[edie]s, right?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1294 on: December 21, 2018, 10:36:18 PM »
These people are “Hollywood ugly” aka not really ugly.  Just let them put their hair down, take off their glasses and suddenly the ugly librarian is smokin hot

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1295 on: December 22, 2018, 03:36:15 AM »
Why it seems no matter when I am sitting at a busy intersection trying to turn, all the cars I am waiting to pass end up turning onto my road and dont put there blinker on. Ugghhh.....

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1296 on: December 22, 2018, 03:39:59 AM »

I think I personally attract the plow. I so over shovel down the road so when he comes by i get as little as possible and stand there watching to see if I can see a sniker on his face...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1297 on: December 22, 2018, 03:44:03 AM »
These people are “Hollywood ugly” aka not really ugly.  Just let them put their hair down, take off their glasses and suddenly the ugly librarian is smokin hot

So true. With the make up people they have they can really dazzle a person up or really make them look awful.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1298 on: December 22, 2018, 09:48:19 AM »

With your bare hands?

Or.....hear me out here....IT'S COMEDY. The ugly guy gets a hot girlfriend precisely because it's an unlikely match-up, and therefore can lead to more comedic situations. I mean, that's why they're called sit[uational]com[edie]s, right?

What I like about Big Bang Theory is that the characters actually talk about the fact that ugly Leonard is so lucky to have Penny (hot blonde). They don't act like it's normal.

However, the Seinfeld show acknowledges that Costanza is indeed unattractive and undesirable, yet every date he has is with a hot female, and they act like it's normal (when it's NOT!)     

Back to Big Bang Theory, I'd say the matchup between the supergeeks (the tall thin guy and the geeky brunette female) is pretty believable.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1299 on: December 22, 2018, 02:58:02 PM »
"Hollywod Ugly" - love it! So when I'm feeling like crap and running to the drugstore in my old, ratty clothes with my stringy hair in a messy ponytail, can I cust tell myself I'm Hollywood ugly? Yes, yes, I think I will. Thanks for a new delusion, @dragoncar!