Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204898 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #1200 on: November 27, 2018, 07:08:07 AM »
But I would never consider it a workout. I wouldn't if my lawn was twice as big.

But shoveling knee-high snow is absolutely a workout for me. My 4-car driveway has way smaller surface area than my front and back yards but it's still a much, much stronger workout. Size doesn't matter when comparing the two activities.

Your lawn must lack the hills mine has.  I think mowing is way harder than shoveling, except for the absolute heaviest snow.
That's why husband mows and I shovel. 

(We have a 1/3 acre lot, but a big house on it. Driveway for 3 car garage, but only about 3 cars deep.) 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1201 on: November 27, 2018, 07:20:50 AM »
My Boston grandfather had a heart attack and died whilst shoveling snow, which was part of his son's decision to move to CA, for which I am eternally grateful.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1202 on: November 27, 2018, 07:54:13 AM »
Yeah, a big part of the problem with shoveling, and to a lesser extent mowing, is that even if it's a great workout, it doesn't happen often enough to really be beneficial. Instead, you're setting yourself up for injury or over-exertion since your body isn't used to it.

Just my personal experience: moving into a 4th-floor walk-up apartment, and taking the stairs at my new office, has done far more for my health & fitness than all of the previous years of mowing and trimming every week or two (or three, or four...). IME a little bit of activity every day is much more effective than more intense activity on a less frequent basis.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1203 on: November 27, 2018, 11:22:21 AM »
But I would never consider it a workout. I wouldn't if my lawn was twice as big.

But shoveling knee-high snow is absolutely a workout for me. My 4-car driveway has way smaller surface area than my front and back yards but it's still a much, much stronger workout. Size doesn't matter when comparing the two activities.

Your lawn must lack the hills mine has.  I think mowing is way harder than shoveling, except for the absolute heaviest snow.

(We have a 1/3 acre lot, but a big house on it. Driveway for 3 car garage, but only about 3 cars deep.)

Maybe the difference is climate/location related. Around here the snowbank covering my lawn is over my head by mid-January.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #1204 on: November 27, 2018, 07:54:27 PM »
Yeah, a big part of the problem with shoveling, and to a lesser extent mowing, is that even if it's a great workout, it doesn't happen often enough to really be beneficial. Instead, you're setting yourself up for injury or over-exertion since your body isn't used to it.

That's not a "problem with shoveling," it's a problem with being sedentary. Almost everyone should be exercising almost every day. I do it, and I have three jobs...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1205 on: November 27, 2018, 11:42:42 PM »

That's not a "problem with shoveling," it's a problem with being sedentary. Almost everyone should be exercising almost every day. I do it, and I have three jobs...

On days it doesn't snow, shovel dirt or gravel.  You'll be in prime shape for the snow.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1206 on: November 28, 2018, 06:37:12 AM »

Maybe the difference is climate/location related. Around here the snowbank covering my lawn is over my head by mid-January.

We get pretty regular snow; some is light, some is very heavy. The snow piles from shoveling usually get about 8 feet tall; but the yard probably doesn't end up with more than 3-4 feet, as we often have days of melt throughout the winter.

But I don't have to shovel hills. So a little at a time is all it takes.  It's hard for me to push the mower.  With the shovel, I got a kids shovel that won't carry as much at once- I just do a lot more passes with less snow.  It takes a lot more time than my husband who carries 5x as much snow as once, but makes it much more manageable for me. 

There is no cheat for the lawn.  (I mean a self-propelled or riding mower; but that's an entirely different chore.)

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1207 on: November 28, 2018, 08:10:07 AM »

On days it doesn't snow, shovel dirt or gravel.  You'll be in prime shape for the snow.

Snow shoveling shape is a mindset!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1208 on: November 28, 2018, 08:44:49 AM »
Tired of hearing all the Stupid shit GM does. They make shit cars and are late to the part realizing that people don't want cars anymore. To shut 5 plants and layoff all those people right before the holidays despite making 3 Billion if I heard right last quarter is just plain wrong. The company is just not forward thinking so here we go again on the GM merry go round which is why I will never by there crap.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1209 on: November 28, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »
A few years ago, gas prices were high and Lordstown was running 3 shifts to make enough small cars. They've been cutting down there for years, so the aren't slow realizing that they don't sell now that gas prices are so low. They just don't want to spend the money to retool.

People have short memories, though.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1210 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:06 AM »
A few years ago, gas prices were high and Lordstown was running 3 shifts to make enough small cars. They've been cutting down there for years, so the aren't slow realizing that they don't sell now that gas prices are so low. They just don't want to spend the money to retool.

Oh yea, gas prices go down , big car sales go up. Up and down. How many times have we seen this. Add to that these 72 month car loans? yikes.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1211 on: November 28, 2018, 09:48:27 AM »

It took five years for auto sales to recover to pre-recession levels, and in that time, we've seen a big shift in consumer demand away from sedans/hatchbacks and towards crossovers.  It makes little logical sense, since crossovers have little-to-no advantages over the sedans they're replacing, but that's the way the market is moving.

You're right--back in the mid-2000's, when oil prices spiked up to $150/barrel, there was a huge surge in demand for more efficient cars.  And then oil prices fell back to $60 and consumers collectively went back to SUVs.  And I don't see gas prices increasing dramatically any time soon given the move toward electric vehicles and the USA's increased oil production.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1212 on: November 28, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »
Anyone remember gas rationing in the 1970's?

You could only get gas on odd and even days depending on your license plate. Then you were only allowed about $3 worth of gas.

This is how far back this gas situation goes back. We flip flop on gas guzzlers and fuel efficient cars. Oil will run out one day. What is the answer?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1213 on: November 28, 2018, 10:10:22 AM »
Tired of hearing all the Stupid shit GM does. They make shit cars and are late to the part realizing that people don't want cars anymore. To shut 5 plants and layoff all those people right before the holidays despite making 3 Billion if I heard right last quarter is just plain wrong. The company is just not forward thinking so here we go again on the GM merry go round which is why I will never by there crap.

I still want a small car (I don't like driving trucks and don't need a SUV) but GM cars have never appealed to me. And 10 years after the last round of GM fiasco, here we go again. It's ridiculous.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1214 on: November 28, 2018, 10:54:37 AM »
Something about driving on the highways in a small car when a tractor trailer truck is bearing down on you going 80 mph doesn't sit well with me. Seems a SUV could be a bit safer in an accident.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1215 on: November 28, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
Something about driving on the highways in a small car when a tractor trailer truck is bearing down on you going 80 mph doesn't sit well with me. Seems a SUV could be a bit safer in an accident.

*shrugs* To each their own. I've never felt the need for a larger car in the city. I don't drive enough in rural areas to be worried about collisions with deer.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1216 on: November 28, 2018, 11:22:59 AM »
Honestly, no one here is that shocked. GM has been buying people out for the last few years.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1217 on: November 28, 2018, 12:36:42 PM »

*shrugs* To each their own. I've never felt the need for a larger car in the city. I don't drive enough in rural areas to be worried about collisions with deer.

There's no significant safety difference between large and small cars. Basic physics F=ma would tilt the scales in favor of larger cars, but the rollover potential basically mitigates that.

Source: Insurance professional. Also, I just read a claim wherein a driver in a Civic caused an accident killing both himself and the driver of a fully-loaded semi. Interesting anecdata.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1218 on: November 28, 2018, 12:56:31 PM »

There's no significant safety difference between large and small cars. Basic physics F=ma would tilt the scales in favor of larger cars, but the rollover potential basically mitigates that.

Source: Insurance professional. Also, I just read a claim wherein a driver in a Civic caused an accident killing both himself and the driver of a fully-loaded semi. Interesting anecdata.
A couple of years ago I was doing a lot of work with IIHS.  That year, mid-sized sedans had the lowest accident fatality rates.  I think SUVs were pretty close to compacts.

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #1219 on: November 28, 2018, 01:43:47 PM »
The obsession with perfect, poisoned lawns.  You use water to help the lawn grow.  You poison the earth to have a "weed"-free lawn that grows greener and faster.  Now that it's right where you want it, you spend more time and more money cutting that perfect, poisoned lawn.  Rinse and repeat.  Very odd.

I recently researched cars vs. SUVs due to a discussion with family and found that newer, small cars are safer than ever, but SUVs are statistically safer.  In terms of sub-compact vs. sedans, I haven't done much research on that. 

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/new-crash-tests-demonstrate-the-influence-of-vehicle-size-and-weight-on-safety-in-crashes-results-are-relevant-to-fuel-economy-policies

https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/are-smaller-cars-as-safe-as-large-cars.html

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/vehicle-size-and-weight/fatalityfacts/passenger-vehicles

https://www.randolphassociates.com/blog/2017/11/whats-safer-in-a-crash-suvs-or-sedans.shtml

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1220 on: November 28, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »
This is how far back this gas situation goes back. We flip flop on gas guzzlers and fuel efficient cars. Oil will run out one day. What is the answer?
Oil won't just "run out" suddenly.  As reserves are sucked dry, the production cost per barrel will gradually rise, and gas prices with it.  Higher prices mean that more economically-marginal oil fields will become worthwhile to drill, which will slow the rise in prices.  This will happen on a time span measured in decades.*  With the USA's production ramping up (and Venezuela collapsing), OPEC doesn't have the power it once wielded. 

* This also assumes zero technological advancements in enhanced production.  "Peak oil" has been a concern for how long?  Then fracking came along, and all of a sudden we're seeing oil back down around $60/barrel and the US is now a net exporter

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #1221 on: November 28, 2018, 10:47:18 PM »

Couldn't agree more. One of most common excuses for being sedentary is being convinced that the tasks you do don't help you anyways. If it's a great workout or not won't affect my decision to spend time outside instead of laying on a couch and waste my money on services.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #1222 on: November 29, 2018, 11:59:41 AM »
I'm reasonably certain that my parents had me for the sole purpose of shoveling their driveway.  :P
My mother had a Beauty Shop built on to the side of our house when I was 10, and with it came a 3 wide driveway that can hold 10 cars.  Every morning with snow I had to get up an extra 90 minutes early to shovel off the whole thing.  Oh fun times.  But unlike you wimps, I also had to hand hang outside all of the wash from the house and the beauty shop (think 2-3 towels used for every customer) in all temperature, even below freezing, because she refused to buy a clothes dryer.  She suddenly bought one after I left for college.  Can't imagine why...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1223 on: November 30, 2018, 03:29:20 AM »
I'm reasonably certain that my parents had me for the sole purpose of shoveling their driveway.  :P
My mother had a Beauty Shop built on to the side of our house when I was 10, and with it came a 3 wide driveway that can hold 10 cars.  Every morning with snow I had to get up an extra 90 minutes early to shovel off the whole thing.  Oh fun times.  But unlike you wimps, I also had to hand hang outside all of the wash from the house and the beauty shop (think 2-3 towels used for every customer) in all temperature, even below freezing, because she refused to buy a clothes dryer.  She suddenly bought one after I left for college.  Can't imagine why...

When I was young I would wait for the snow just so I could go around and shovel peoples driveways for 10$ a pop. And these were not small driveways. Do two or 3 in middle school age and I was rich back then but deservedly exhausted!.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1224 on: November 30, 2018, 06:22:32 AM »

The kids in our neighborhood want $80 for our driveway.  Which is maybe a fair rate, but it only takes about an hour with a snowblower...  (And they don't do a great job...)

When I was young I would wait for the snow just so I could go around and shovel peoples driveways for 10$ a pop. And these were not small driveways. Do two or 3 in middle school age and I was rich back then but deservedly exhausted!.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1225 on: November 30, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »
The kids in our neighborhood want $80 for our driveway.  Which is maybe a fair rate, but it only takes about an hour with a snowblower...  (And they don't do a great job...)
$80 for an hour of work?  Yeesh, I'm in the wrong line of work!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1226 on: November 30, 2018, 08:51:15 AM »
I would shovel your driveway for 80$

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1227 on: November 30, 2018, 08:51:53 AM »

Well, they have shovels. It takes them forever.

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #1228 on: November 30, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »
* This also assumes zero technological advancements in enhanced production.  "Peak oil" has been a concern for how long?  Then fracking came along, and all of a sudden we're seeing oil back down around $60/barrel and the US is now a net exporter.
In 2017 dollars, oil's annual average was below $30/barrel every year until 1974, and didn't fall below 30 again until the Clinton Administration, then rose back above 30 for the last 18 years.
Still in 2017 dollars, the only time oil has been above 60/barrel annual average was from 79-85 and from 2005-2015.
The reason this happened is because hydrofracturing has actually been a known technology for about 40 years, but the price-point at which the extra effort is justified has been known just as long: it's profitable to frack around 52/barrel/2017. Other drilling technologies also exist, but their function isn't to make 60/b oil cost 30, it's to make 200/b oil cost 70. When the stable price of oil rises above whatever price those techs bring those fields down to, those fields will be activated. But using those techs on active fields is like using a grabber-claw to hold something on your lap.
The reason the US became an exporter is actually refreshingly mustachian: Since the 90's, per-capita oil consumption in the US has just gone down. We live within our means better, and so we have some extra to sell.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1229 on: November 30, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »
Anyone remember gas rationing in the 1970's?

You could only get gas on odd and even days depending on your license plate. Then you were only allowed about $3 worth of gas.

This is how far back this gas situation goes back. We flip flop on gas guzzlers and fuel efficient cars.

I was a kid running my own yard business back then.  Gas doubled in price overnight.   You bet I noticed!  Gas was my biggest expense!

The difference is that I, unlike the majority of my fellow Americans, remembered this.  I've never bought a gas guzzling vehicle.   I've watched people piss and moan about high gas prices over and over and over, every time they go up.   And they just don't seem to learn.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1230 on: November 30, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »

Oh yea, gas prices go down , big car sales go up. Up and down. How many times have we seen this. Add to that these 72 month car loans? yikes.

Just do what I do - own one giant SUV and one compact econobox.  Switch between them as gas prices fluctuate.  That way you can pretty much spend a constant amount monthly on gas, which everyone knows is the #1 budgeting goal.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1231 on: November 30, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »
Just do what I do - own one giant SUV and one compact econobox.  Switch between them as gas prices fluctuate.  That way you can pretty much spend a constant amount monthly on gas, which everyone knows is the #1 budgeting goal.
Let me guess--you're either work for the government or a very large corporation! :P

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1232 on: November 30, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »

When a tractor trailer is bearing down on you at 80 mph (assuming you're stationary), it makes not a bit of difference what you're driving unless you're driving this:

And that might still be a dice roll.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1233 on: November 30, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »

Well, they have shovels. It takes them forever.

If it takes an hour to clear your driveway with a snowblower, you’ve got a big driveway.

I’ve paid roving snowshovelers a couple of times and they’ve never done a very good job so it’s not worth it to me.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #1234 on: December 03, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »
It's the compacted snow trying to turn to rock and ice at the bottom of the driveway after the plow comes through that I'm really paying for.  The rest is easy.

EricL

« Reply #1235 on: December 03, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »
I hated shoveling snow from my driveway when I lived in Germany.  But by German law if the postal guy (or anyone else really) slips and breaks his ass, it's your ass that's in hock for it.  A reasonable position, all things considered though it didn't make me warmer or less vexed.  Sometimes it meant shoveling for 30 minutes each time at 6 AM, Noon, and 6 PM every day. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1236 on: December 03, 2018, 06:17:58 PM »
I hated shoveling snow from my driveway when I lived in Germany.  But by German law if the postal guy (or anyone else really) slips and breaks his ass, it's your ass that's in hock for it.  A reasonable position, all things considered though it didn't make me warmer or less vexed.  Sometimes it meant shoveling for 30 minutes each time at 6 AM, Noon, and 6 PM every day.

As someone who has never lived more than a few dozen miles from a California beach, this is always shocking to me to hear.  I don't know where people get the extra time to do all this work in the winter!  To bring this back to the "I don't get it" topic of the thread...I really don't get it!  What kinds of things do you all have to give up doing in winter to have time to shovel driveways, scrape windshields, etc.? 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1237 on: December 03, 2018, 06:22:27 PM »

As someone who has never lived more than a few dozen miles from a California beach, this is always shocking to me to hear.  I don't know where people get the extra time to do all this work in the winter!  To bring this back to the "I don't get it" topic of the thread...I really don't get it!  What kinds of things do you all have to give up doing in winter to have time to shovel driveways, scrape windshields, etc.?

The surfing takes much less of our time in a northern winter, so we've got oodles of free time.  :P

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #1238 on: December 03, 2018, 11:09:49 PM »

The surfing takes much less of our time in a northern winter, so we've got oodles of free time.  :P
+1.
We only have lakes and for some reason I don't like fishing in winter, or tanning outside, plus, there is no need to mow my lawn or fertilize it, or take care of weeds and plant flowers outside, trim bushes, or trim grass with weed eater along my fence line and driveway, cut branches, blow leaves, clean gutters, spread mulch (I feel I'm forgetting something). It takes me personally longer to mow than shovel my driveway. And since I own only one mower and 7 shovels, when my kids help me mow it still takes an hour and 15 min if we move fast to mow, but only 30 min to shovel even 6 inches of wet snow (as was demonstrated yesterday).

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1239 on: December 04, 2018, 06:45:30 AM »

I would like to ask the question what do you do that takes up so much of your time that you wouldn't have time to shovel and clean cars off of snow if you had it? What busy things are you doing?

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1240 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:17 AM »

For me it's just time taken away from being at the office. 

EricL

« Reply #1241 on: December 04, 2018, 09:06:16 AM »

I would like to ask the question what do you do that takes up so much of your time that you wouldn't have time to shovel and clean cars off of snow if you had it? What busy things are you doing?

I was in the Army working 100 hour weeks so 1 1/2 hours subtracted from the day hurt. (60 was more common but it was a difficult tour.) Even so, anything you don’t enjoy doing that doesn’t directly profit you or someone you love can be pretty tiresome. Or is at least easy to be seen as such. 

Even something you love doing can become tedious by becoming a requirement and repetition.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1242 on: December 04, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »

Well, often just sleeping...  I have to be at work by 7:00, and daycare drop off by 6:30-6:45. I need to wake up in time to get myself, and my children ready for the day.
To wake up to shovel the driveway, assuming I knew it was going to snow, means waking up an hour or more early.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1243 on: December 04, 2018, 09:38:20 AM »
I don't think we are talking about people who work 100 hours a week. Yes, adding more onto that would be a burden.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1244 on: December 04, 2018, 09:41:46 AM »

Well, often just sleeping...  I have to be at work by 7:00, and daycare drop off by 6:30-6:45. I need to wake up in time to get myself, and my children ready for the day.
To wake up to shovel the driveway, assuming I knew it was going to snow, means waking up an hour or more early.

If you live where it snows and drive anywhere, you always know if it's going to snow the next day . . . because it can mean the difference between a 30 minute drive and an hour and a half drive.  :P

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1245 on: December 04, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »

Well, if you live in a location where it snows you listen to the weather report the evening before you go to bed and YES you do get up earlier to dig out. We are a tough bunch and get it done. Snow is pretty much nothing unless we get several feet but the ice (Freezing rain and ice storms) is a killer. You have no control of your car at all. On those days, just stay home.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #1246 on: December 04, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »

If you live where it snows and drive anywhere, you always know if it's going to snow the next day . . . because it can mean the difference between a 30 minute drive and an hour and a half drive.  :P

And that difference is the primary reason why having the option to work from home is fantastic! Dealing with the snow on the driveway and cars doesn't take any "extra" time, it just replaces normal commuting time. Any time there's more than a couple inches of snow forecasted, my boss known he's getting a work from home request from me.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1247 on: December 04, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
I have a cousin that lives in TN and they might get an inch of snow and totally freak out! You would think they had a major earthquake. They don't have plow trucks or trucks that spread sand. They have gotten some bad ice where they couldn't move for days. That is understandable. But it makes me laugh when they get one inch and freak out! LOL, one inch is nothing! I am still wearing flip flops! What also makes me laugh when we do have a storm on the way, people run to the stores and stock up on milk and bread! People stock up on other things too.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1248 on: December 04, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »
I have a cousin that lives in TN and they might get an inch of snow and totally freak out! You would think they had a major earthquake. They don't have plow trucks or trucks that spread sand. They have gotten some bad ice where they couldn't move for days. That is understandable. But it makes me laugh when they get one inch and freak out! LOL, one inch is nothing! I am still wearing flip flops! What also makes me laugh when we do have a storm on the way, people run to the stores and stock up on milk and bread! People stock up on other things too.

It doesn't really matter how many inches of snow you get if the roads freeze. Snow is easy to drive on. Ice is deadly.

EricL

« Reply #1249 on: December 04, 2018, 03:31:30 PM »
I don't think we are talking about people who work 100 hours a week. Yes, adding more onto that would be a burden.

I kind of think shoveling snow 1 1/2 hours a day would be seen as a time theft even for a person working 40 hours a week.  Especially considering some of the jobs I hear people trying to get FIRE'd from around here.

In the end part of it will be due to taste.  Some things people bitch about here I enjoy, others I think aren't big enough a deal to post about, and some I'm in total agreement they suck.   Likewise snow shoveling.  By the sounds of it there's at least one poster here that'll gladly shovel their entire neighborhood 3 times a day just for shits and giggles.  Not gonna judge.  Plus, I can't deny it can provide a good work out and catch up time for podcasts or an opportunity for the mind to STFU.