Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204906 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #1050 on: September 03, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »
I love dogs I know, but am terrified of dogs I don't know that are off-leash. This stems from having been mauled by a dog as a kid. We have plenty of dog parks and a designated area of beach for dogs to run around freely, so it's pretty frustrating (and terrifying) when I'm at a park and large dogs start loping towards me while the owners jusf laugh.

Same. I have no patience with people who don’t leash their dogs in public areas not designated as dog parks. I don’t know them; why the hell should I trust their assurances that their dogs are friendly?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1051 on: September 03, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »
I love dogs I know, but am terrified of dogs I don't know that are off-leash. This stems from having been mauled by a dog as a kid. We have plenty of dog parks and a designated area of beach for dogs to run around freely, so it's pretty frustrating (and terrifying) when I'm at a park and large dogs start loping towards me while the owners jusf laugh.

Same. I have no patience with people who don’t leash their dogs in public areas not designated as dog parks. I don’t know them; why the hell should I trust their assurances that their dogs are friendly?

Their dog is no threat to them, usually, so how could 130lbs fluffy-wuffy be a threat to anyone?  /sarcasm

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1052 on: September 03, 2018, 11:41:01 AM »
I don't get the people that leave their dogs outside barking all the time.

When I had a dog, I only had once incident of someone's loose dog come out to where I was walking my dog on a public sidewalk, but the owner came rushing after it.  There was no fighting, but my dog could hold his own if he had to.

I've had some dogs come rushing out in the street barking at me when riding my bike - I just leave them in the dust.  Some have looked pretty ferocious and got my heartbeat up.  I have some of that pepper spray but have never used it.

I don't get the people that let their dogs shit all over the sidewalk or other people's lawns and don't pick up after their dogs.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #1053 on: September 04, 2018, 12:01:04 AM »
I, too, don't get people bringing their dogs off-leash, in clear contravention of the law, or people who allow their dogs to run out of their front garden and into the street whenever anyone passes by. I enjoy walking, but many a walk of mine has been disturbed by an encounter with a strange dog which got my heart racing. I don't really like dogs, except for ones belonging to my friends which I have had time to grow familiar with, and I don't always understand the difference between what a friendly but overexcited dog and an aggressive dog looks like.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1054 on: September 04, 2018, 03:50:35 AM »
Same here with the dogs.  I get so sick of dog-owners saying "fluffy is such a friendly dog!" as if that excuses them from keeping her on leash.  And don't get me started on the poo.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1055 on: September 07, 2018, 07:45:51 AM »
I don't get when people have dogs AND have a license for it but don't put a collar on the dog WITH the license. So now puppy dog is lost and the owner is in tears. I picked up a dog one time on my way home that was on the side of the road. It had no collar on so of course I couldn't call Town Hall or the owner to fetch the dog. I took it home and was about to call Animal Control and my  Mom called. She told me some neighbor was walking down the road hollering for a dog and my Mom questioned her about what was going on. I told my Mom that I had picked up a dog on my way home and it was with me at the house. She found the woman wandering around outside and told her she thought I had it at my house and the lady called me and she described the dog and I said that it must be her dog. She came to my house to pick it up. I reamed her about not having a collar with ID on it and if it had one I would have called her. I told her twice that she should have a collar on the dog. She knew it and said so. She came up a second time to give me a thank you gift. DUH, put a collar on your dog and if it gets lost, maybe someone can return your dog home. DUH, DUH, DUH!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1056 on: September 07, 2018, 08:06:01 AM »
A lot of the country people I know with dogs won't let them wear collars outside because it is a hazard if the collar gets caught in something. The dogs are all chipped though.

My dog is chipped and wears an ID tag on the collar. The license is ALSO on the collar, but the license doesn't ID the dog in anyway. Just that we paid the city fee for the dog.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1057 on: September 07, 2018, 08:19:43 AM »
A lot of the country people I know with dogs won't let them wear collars outside because it is a hazard if the collar gets caught in something. The dogs are all chipped though.

My dog is chipped and wears an ID tag on the collar. The license is ALSO on the collar, but the license doesn't ID the dog in anyway. Just that we paid the city fee for the dog.

If people keep their dogs on a leash or in their yard there should be no problem of the dog getting caught somewhere. The dog license can be used as ID if you call the Town Hall and give them the number so they can identify the owner. Or Animal Control can call Town Hall to get the owners phone number. I love my dogs and do everything possible to keep them from getting lost. They each have a collar with license, their name, our phone number/address, their chip number and phone number for that and they are also chipped. I wish I lived on 50 acres so my dogs could roam free unleashed but that isn't the case and inevitably they would get in trouble running around on 50 acres too.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1058 on: September 07, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »
The best thing about having a dog in the country is you don't have to be concerned about where they poop.  Oh, and you don't have to walk them either.  I can't wait to be living in the country again.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1059 on: September 21, 2018, 10:09:43 AM »
I don't get Jimmy Johns. I've only eaten it incidentally, like it was ordered for a meeting or something at work. But man, I can make such better sandwiches at home. I can't believe how many people at work regularly order from them. It really is not that good and overpriced for what you get. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1060 on: September 21, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »
I don't get Jimmy Johns. I've only eaten it incidentally, like it was ordered for a meeting or something at work. But man, I can make such better sandwiches at home. I can't believe how many people at work regularly order from them. It really is not that good and overpriced for what you get.

Replace "Jimmy Johns" with any fast food restaurant name and that's pretty much my attitude. I understand the convenience factor, but I don't get why people think the food itself is great.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1061 on: September 21, 2018, 01:49:08 PM »

Replace "Jimmy Johns" with any fast food restaurant name and that's pretty much my attitude. I understand the convenience factor, but I don't get why people think the food itself is great.

I'm lazy and hungry, gott'a eat something.  Everything is a ripoff, so Jimmy John's is fine.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1062 on: September 21, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »

Jimmy Johns is one of the worst sandwich shops out there, IMO

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #1063 on: September 21, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »
I don't get people who send the "Is this available" message on FB marketplace but then ghost after that message. I've been getting a lot of these lately. What is going through their head?

"What a cool mountain bike, I wonder if it's available, or if it was just listed on here as a farce?"
*hits "Is this available button"
*gets my polite reply
"Thank God! I was worried it wasn't available! That's so cool!"
*moves on with their life without ever responding.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1064 on: September 21, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »

I only go for the free smells

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1065 on: September 21, 2018, 11:51:25 PM »

So not worth even that, IMO.
DH and I went to our first (and shoulda been last) JJ's while traveling from Seattle to Spokane. Couldn't believe how bad it was. What? You don't have whole wheat bread? Really?? A year or so later, on another trip, we tried again. Nope, it wasn't a fluke. Just awful.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1066 on: September 22, 2018, 01:32:17 AM »

DH and I went to our first (and shoulda been last) JJ's while traveling from Seattle to Spokane. Couldn't believe how bad it was. What? You don't have whole wheat bread? Really?? A year or so later, on another trip, we tried again. Nope, it wasn't a fluke. Just awful.

What you don’t like the smell of cold cuts and mayonnaise wafting through the summer air?

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #1067 on: September 22, 2018, 02:56:56 AM »

What you don’t like the smell of cold cuts and mayonnaise wafting through the summer air?

I don't know the brand Jimmy Johns, since I'm UK-based. But I have this attitude towards probably 70% of restaurants and other places to eat out at least. Generally, I find home-cooked food to be both tastier AND cheaper than restaurant food. So the only reason I can see for people to have high restaurant expenditure is that they either don't know how to cook, or they don't have any time to cook (in which case restaurants are also inconvenient because you have to wait around while they bring you the food - the quickest way of eating would be to concoct a balanced diet out of things that you can eat cold).

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #1068 on: September 22, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
I don't get the concept of the 'birthday month.' I suppose I could understand it for a small child who's just learning about the calendar months of the year, but I recently saw this with a friend of mine.
She's 54.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1069 on: September 22, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »
I don't get people who want to put their babies/young children to bed late. Isn't it really annoying to have a toddler who goes to bed at 9pm? Toddlers are notorious for waking up with the sun anyway. When do you get any grown up time? We treasure the evening after our baby goes to bed.

ExitViaTheCashRamp

• Bristles
« Reply #1070 on: September 22, 2018, 02:41:59 PM »
I don't get people who want to put their babies/young children to bed late. Isn't it really annoying to have a toddler who goes to bed at 9pm? Toddlers are notorious for waking up with the sun anyway. When do you get any grown up time? We treasure the evening after our baby goes to bed.

We put our eldest to bed when he was a toddler at around 7pm. He would get up at 3:45am and would not go back to sleep. So we slowly moved his bedtime later to regain some sanity.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1071 on: September 22, 2018, 02:55:59 PM »
Our son just didn't sleep for the first three years.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1072 on: September 22, 2018, 03:14:18 PM »
I don't get the concept of the 'birthday month.' I suppose I could understand it for a small child who's just learning about the calendar months of the year, but I recently saw this with a friend of mine.
She's 54.
A friend of my mom's, who must have been about 65 at the time, gave all of her friends calendars one Christmas. She wrote her birthday in each, but changed the date, spreading it out for a whole month. I have always thought it was a brilliant idea and a great way to stay connected with friends. My mom is long gone, but I still love that she had such fabulous friends.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1073 on: September 22, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »

My dh didn’t get home until almost 7 when our kids were little. The kid who fell asleep early only saw him on the weekend.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:32:58 PM by Cranky »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1074 on: September 22, 2018, 08:38:04 PM »

I've had some dogs come rushing out in the street barking at me when riding my bike - I just leave them in the dust.  Some have looked pretty ferocious and got my heartbeat up.  I have some of that pepper spray but have never used it.

When I was in junior high a friend had a paper route.  I would substitute for him when he was sick or just needed someone to cover for him. 

One family had a dog that was not secured that would chase me on my bike and try very hard to bite me on the back of my ankle.   I couldn't just ride away because I had a cul-de-sac to deliver papers into and the dog lived at the opening of it.  The dog wouldn't chase me into someone else's yard, just in the street.

I just did the best I could do to avoid it until one day I saw the folks who owned the dog in their front yard.  They were highly amused at my plight.

That's when I decided I didn't want to be nice anymore.  I picked a house with a steep driveway and went up to its top, then turned around and headed back out towards the street.   I picked up speed as fast as I could.   The dog came running across the street to intercept me.  At the last moment I changed my trajectory and kicked the living daylights out of that dog's jaws.  It went staggering around, whimpering and completely stunned.   

The dog never bothered me again.   Bullies are like that, aren't they?

Maybe there was a better way to stop the problem, but given the (lack of) quality in its owners, I doubt it.   I was just a kid and made the best decision I could to save myself from harm, so I don't feel bad about it.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1075 on: September 22, 2018, 09:19:57 PM »

We put our eldest to bed when he was a toddler at around 7pm. He would get up at 3:45am and would not go back to sleep. So we slowly moved his bedtime later to regain some sanity.

My son has been an early riser since he was a toddler.  His bedtime has shifted from 7:30 as a 2-year old to 9:00 as an 8-year old (which includes 30 minutes of reading).  He still wakes up between 5 and 6am.  Thankfully he's old enough now to get himself started without us in the morning.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1076 on: September 22, 2018, 09:27:53 PM »

I don't know the brand Jimmy Johns, since I'm UK-based. But I have this attitude towards probably 70% of restaurants and other places to eat out at least. Generally, I find home-cooked food to be both tastier AND cheaper than restaurant food. So the only reason I can see for people to have high restaurant expenditure is that they either don't know how to cook, or they don't have any time to cook (in which case restaurants are also inconvenient because you have to wait around while they bring you the food - the quickest way of eating would be to concoct a balanced diet out of things that you can eat cold).

Jimmy Johns - large sub sandwiches made very quickly.  Biggest downside is they charge an arm and a leg for extra toppings.  I think the last time I went there I spent $8 on a sandwich and they wanted another $2 to put bacon on it.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1077 on: September 23, 2018, 12:05:31 PM »

My son has been an early riser since he was a toddler.  His bedtime has shifted from 7:30 as a 2-year old to 9:00 as an 8-year old (which includes 30 minutes of reading).  He still wakes up between 5 and 6am.  Thankfully he's old enough now to get himself started without us in the morning.

Same here.  Also, for us, eating as a family is very important and the kids have always eaten the same food as us.  I don't get the people who cook two meals every night and feed their kids 'kid foods' like chicken nuggets and fish sticks. 

I get home from work at around 6.30 and we eat dinner at around 7.30.  6 year old is in bed at around 8.30 and 10 year old at around 9.30.  They are up at 7.45 to get to school by 8.30 (2 blocks from our house).  Our kids go to bed the earliest of anyone we know.  And Italian kids seem fine. 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1078 on: September 23, 2018, 01:42:02 PM »
The "I get home late and want to see my child" explanation makes sense. I'm not really thinking of children of school age - more like a two year old who is frigging exhausting and maybe still waking in the night and literally when do you get five minutes peace (or enough sleep yourself) if they go to bed at 9pm.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1079 on: September 23, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »
I don't get the babies to bed late thing, either. I have friends with a 1.5 year old, and they've always let her stay up till 9:00pm+. And then they go to bed shortly after that. Like, when do you get to be alone? Also the kid just gets fussier and fussier, but they don't want to put her to bed because "we want to spend time with her, and it's fun to play, and she's so cute"...I'm sorry, but no fussy baby is cute. Not a single one.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1080 on: September 23, 2018, 03:18:41 PM »
The "I get home late and want to see my child" explanation makes sense. I'm not really thinking of children of school age - more like a two year old who is frigging exhausting and maybe still waking in the night and literally when do you get five minutes peace (or enough sleep yourself) if they go to bed at 9pm.

We went to bed around 9:30. LOL Dh still does. He pretends that he’s “listening to music” but he’s not.

It was what it was. We had 3 kids, spaced out so that we had a very small child in the house for years and years. Do you know that the elementary school music program repeats every 5 years?

Having little kids is just very intense!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1081 on: September 23, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »
Do you know that the elementary school music program repeats every 5 years?

That's generous. Here it is always the same. 1st is where the wild things are, 2nd environment, 3rd dinosaurs, 4th nutcracker, and 5th a "we are the future" thing.

For the past 30 years.  I know all the songs and dances. From when I was in school

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1082 on: September 23, 2018, 05:38:18 PM »
It's Sunday night and I'm dreading tomorrow.  I'm in my late 40s and only joined corporate America 9 years ago, I can not understand how people my age who have been doing this since they got out of college are not zombies.  My job is soul sucking and pointless and it's really hard to pretend like it's not.   

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #1083 on: September 24, 2018, 10:20:34 AM »
It's Sunday night and I'm dreading tomorrow.  I'm in my late 40s and only joined corporate America 9 years ago, I can not understand how people my age who have been doing this since they got out of college are not zombies.  My job is soul sucking and pointless and it's really hard to pretend like it's not.   

Have you switched companies? I've been in the corporate workforce for the past 16 years and I've noticed a major difference among the 4 companies I've worked for in terms of culture and how it impacts my mood and general outlook on life.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1084 on: September 24, 2018, 11:11:15 AM »

Have you switched companies? I've been in the corporate workforce for the past 16 years and I've noticed a major difference among the 4 companies I've worked for in terms of culture and how it impacts my mood and general outlook on life.

This is true. I never hated working in research labs until my last position before leaving to freelance in a different field. I had always had good supervisors and coworkers before that, so it was a shock to end up in a fairly dysfunctional lab run by a micromanager. "Soul-sucking" is a good descriptor.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1085 on: September 24, 2018, 11:54:23 AM »
I can’t agree more on the dog thing.  I was bitten by a dog when I was a kid (my fault, sort of, because I accidentally wandered into someone’s yard, and the dog wasn’t leashed and ran out and bit me) and as a result, I am wary of dogs as an adult, particularly big ones. 

A few times, while out running, I have had an unleashed dog run at me.  Luckily they have all been friendly, but it scared the living daylights out of me.  How hard is it to keep your dog in your own yard?

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #1086 on: September 24, 2018, 11:59:59 AM »
I don't get people who send the "Is this available" message on FB marketplace but then ghost after that message. I've been getting a lot of these lately. What is going through their head?

"What a cool mountain bike, I wonder if it's available, or if it was just listed on here as a farce?"
*hits "Is this available button"
*gets my polite reply
"Thank God! I was worried it wasn't available! That's so cool!"
*moves on with their life without ever responding.

And it is even better when they do it through Messenger so they seem EXTRA interested before they ghost.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #1087 on: September 24, 2018, 12:07:22 PM »
Same here.  Also, for us, eating as a family is very important and the kids have always eaten the same food as us.  I don't get the people who cook two meals every night and feed their kids 'kid foods' like chicken nuggets and fish sticks. 

I get home from work at around 6.30 and we eat dinner at around 7.30.  6 year old is in bed at around 8.30 and 10 year old at around 9.30.  They are up at 7.45 to get to school by 8.30 (2 blocks from our house).  Our kids go to bed the earliest of anyone we know.  And Italian kids seem fine.

Your schedule sounds like it works great for you. We get home about 5:45 and the 5 year old HAS to be in bed with lights out by 7:30. The 8 year old must have lights out by 8:15. I wake the kids up at 6am so we have time to get ready and have breakfast. My kids have horrible behavior if they don't get enough sleep. Honestly, I think the little one should be in bed earlier but he takes a full hour to eat supper so we can't make it work. I still can't figure out how he manages to take that long to eat but it is very clear that he only eats a few bites of lunch as their 20 minute lunch break is not enough for him.

RusticBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1088 on: September 24, 2018, 06:18:14 PM »
I continue to be baffled, and frankly periodically enraged, by people who have ridiculously noisy cars and motorcycles. Why is this not illegal?

Why why would a person choose to own a car like this? What's wrong with them?

They damage the hearing of those they pass, it disturbs whatever area they're traveling through, and I can only assume it's some sort of bizarre compensation thing.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1089 on: September 24, 2018, 10:40:59 PM »
I continue to be baffled, and frankly periodically enraged, by people who have ridiculously noisy cars and motorcycles. Why is this not illegal?

Why why would a person choose to own a car like this? What's wrong with them?

They damage the hearing of those they pass, it disturbs whatever area they're traveling through, and I can only assume it's some sort of bizarre compensation thing.
I think some of the bikers do it so they will be noticed and not smushed like a bug by an oblivious driver. Still pisses me off though.

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1090 on: September 24, 2018, 11:11:15 PM »
I don't get airline passengers who queue up in long lines waiting to board their flight.  Flying on airlines that assign seats. 

They start lining up half an hour before boarding even starts.  In narrow terminals the crowd swells to the point that people trying to walk by have to weave through the cattle waiting for their gate to open.

People, it's not festival seating.  Read your boarding pass, YOU HAVE AN ASSIGNED SEAT.  No one is going to take if from you.  Furthermore, our airline calls people to board by groups of rows.  Then, you have people actually called to board who have to say, "Excuse me, can I get though?" etc to get through the people who would rather stand there clogging everything.

You really feel the need to stand in a mob for 30+ minutes in order to get to your ASSIGNED SEAT before other people get to THEIR assigned seats? 

Yes, I don't get it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:14:33 PM by alienbogey »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1091 on: September 24, 2018, 11:19:20 PM »
I don't get airline passengers who queue up in long lines waiting to board their flight.  Flying on airlines that assign seats. 

They start lining up half an hour before boarding even starts.  In narrow terminals the crowd swells to the point that people trying to walk by have to weave through the cattle waiting for their gate to open.

People, it's not festival seating.  Read your boarding pass, YOU HAVE AN ASSIGNED SEAT.  No one is going to take if from you.  Furthermore, our airline calls people to board by groups of rows.  Then, you have people actually called to board who have to say, "Excuse me, can I get though?" etc to get through the people who would rather stand there clogging everything.

You really feel the need to stand in a mob for 30+ minutes in order to get to your ASSIGNED SEAT before other people get to THEIR assigned seats? 

Yes, I don't get it.
They're worried all the bins are going to fill up. Pre-911, I was nearly always the last one to board. Why coop yourself up for one minute longer than necessary?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1092 on: September 25, 2018, 03:58:21 AM »

Yes, I don't get it.

On a full flight luggage space usually runs out before everyone boards. The people trying to get on ASAP don't want to check their carry-on.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #1093 on: September 25, 2018, 04:41:56 AM »
I especially don't get it when people actually pay extra for priority boarding.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1094 on: September 25, 2018, 05:43:58 AM »

Your schedule sounds like it works great for you. We get home about 5:45 and the 5 year old HAS to be in bed with lights out by 7:30. The 8 year old must have lights out by 8:15. I wake the kids up at 6am so we have time to get ready and have breakfast. My kids have horrible behavior if they don't get enough sleep. Honestly, I think the little one should be in bed earlier but he takes a full hour to eat supper so we can't make it work. I still can't figure out how he manages to take that long to eat but it is very clear that he only eats a few bites of lunch as their 20 minute lunch break is not enough for him.

Sounds like you are morning people.  We're a family of night owls living in a culture of night owls.  The only thing that would get me out of bed before 7 would be having to catch an early plane. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1095 on: September 25, 2018, 07:45:53 AM »

Sounds like you are morning people.  We're a family of night owls living in a culture of night owls.  The only thing that would get me out of bed before 7 would be having to catch an early plane.

A culture of night owls sounds heavenly! Husband and I are both night owls and have managed to design a life that is kinder to our circadian rhythms, but it’s been challenging to get others in my life to accept that I am not available for phone calls/texts/emails before 8 am.

There’s another “I don’t get it.” I accept that average people in the USA will not be available to respond to emails or texts after 10 pm and will not want to receive phone calls at those times. Why is it so hard for others to apply the same understanding to those of us who don’t want to deal with non-emergency communications before 8 am?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:49:23 AM by OtherJen »

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #1096 on: September 25, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »

Yes, I don't get it.

On a full flight luggage space usually runs out before everyone boards. The people trying to get on ASAP don't want to check their carry-on.

This is exactly it for us.  It has nothing to do with our seats. We generally travel in carry-ons only for a number of reasons: avoiding the time suck that is baggage claim, protection of anything fragile that we might be traveling with, no risk of lost bags or theft, etc. And having the check our carry-ons because the bins are full is a bummer.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1097 on: September 25, 2018, 08:34:02 AM »
While we're on the topic of boarding early, I don't get priority boarding for first/business class passengers.  You're in the front of the plane.  Your bins are reserved for you, as is your seat.  If you get on early, you just end up sitting there while all the cattle class bumps their way past you.

In a previous life, I did a fair bit of international flying, always business class.  I would wait until the very last minute to board that 14-hour flight.  There's plenty of time on the plane to do whatever you want, and the airport lounge is more comfortable anyway.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1098 on: September 25, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »
While we're on the topic of boarding early, I don't get priority boarding for first/business class passengers.  You're in the front of the plane.  Your bins are reserved for you, as is your seat.  If you get on early, you just end up sitting there while all the cattle class bumps their way past you.

In a previous life, I did a fair bit of international flying, always business class.  I would wait until the very last minute to board that 14-hour flight.  There's plenty of time on the plane to do whatever you want, and the airport lounge is more comfortable anyway.
Booze before takeoff.  Important to upgrades.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1099 on: September 25, 2018, 08:59:10 AM »

Yes, I don't get it.

This is exactly it for us.  It has nothing to do with our seats. We generally travel in carry-ons only for a number of reasons: avoiding the time suck that is baggage claim, protection of anything fragile that we might be traveling with, no risk of lost bags or theft, etc. And having the check our carry-ons because the bins are full is a bummer.

If you stick to carry-on luggage that fits under the seat (my 30L backpack fits so it's not that small) you don't have this problem.

To continue on that; I don't get people who fill a full suitcase (23kg) for just a short trip to a sunny place.. I don't think I even have 23kg of clothes - let alone SUMMER clothing only. What do those people bring?!?! 27 books and 6 bottles of shampoo?