Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204896 times)

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #800 on: July 15, 2018, 09:58:24 PM »
I don’t get people who complain and complain and complain, but won’t either do anything on their own or take advice to do anything that would help them address their woes.
Complaining isn’t doing something?

Nothing constructive.  It wastes a lot of energy that could be better spent and self conditions you to be a victim.  If you can do something about a problem, do it and expend your energy there.  If you can't, suck it up until you can find a solution or an out. 

- former complaintmeister

@EricL My point exactly. Thank you for adding detail to make it more clear to someone who didn’t “get it.”

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #801 on: July 15, 2018, 10:09:12 PM »
I don’t get people who complain and complain and complain, but won’t either do anything on their own or take advice to do anything that would help them address their woes.

Nothing constructive.  It wastes a lot of energy that could be better spent and self conditions you to be a victim.  If you can do something about a problem, do it and expend your energy there.  If you can't, suck it up until you can find a solution or an out. 

@EricL My point exactly. Thank you for adding detail to make it more clear to someone who didn’t “get it.”

Complaining is great mental relief.  I can't tell you how many times complaining has saved a life

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #802 on: July 16, 2018, 12:51:46 AM »

Complaining is great mental relief.  I can't tell you how many times complaining has saved a life

Agreed. The anti-complainers are the same folk that come out with gems like 'only boring people are bored' and 'a tidy desk shows a tidy mind'.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #803 on: July 16, 2018, 02:47:50 AM »

Agreed. The anti-complainers are the same folk that come out with gems like 'only boring people are bored' and 'a tidy desk shows a tidy mind'.

I have been prone to complaining on occasion in the past, and I think the understanding that I've come to is that if you're going to complain, you should carefully choose who you are going to complain to (rather than choosing "everyone who will listen") and you should make sure you are not always complaining when you talk to them. If possible, you should take action to resolve the thing you are complaining about, but depending what it is, there might not always be an obvious action. If that's the case, it's good to spend some time thinking about possible courses of action. But action and complaining are not mutually exclusive, and the occasional complaint that's not acted on probably won't hurt anyone.

Regarding the topic of burial from a couple of pages ago, I always thought I'd like to be buried under a tree or something, rather than have a permanent gravestone. Not sure if that's allowed or not by the authorities. Certainly I don't want to be embalmed - I want to return to the earth in a natural way.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #804 on: July 16, 2018, 03:56:51 AM »

I have been prone to complaining on occasion in the past, and I think the understanding that I've come to is that if you're going to complain, you should carefully choose who you are going to complain to (rather than choosing "everyone who will listen") and you should make sure you are not always complaining when you talk to them. If possible, you should take action to resolve the thing you are complaining about, but depending what it is, there might not always be an obvious action. If that's the case, it's good to spend some time thinking about possible courses of action. But action and complaining are not mutually exclusive, and the occasional complaint that's not acted on probably won't hurt anyone.

Regarding the topic of burial from a couple of pages ago, I always thought I'd like to be buried under a tree or something, rather than have a permanent gravestone. Not sure if that's allowed or not by the authorities. Certainly I don't want to be embalmed - I want to return to the earth in a natural way.

I have a free rant policy in my office. Come in and have a giant bitch whenever you like, no judgement. Fantastic for finding out what's bugging people, fantastic for morale and it makes people think I care way more than I do. And I get to head situations off at the pass, before they get to crisis. I actually think complaining makes people more proactive, also. It's a way of de-stressing and talking through solutions. 9 times out of 10, all I do is listen and sympathise, and they come up with a solution themselves.

EricL

« Reply #805 on: July 16, 2018, 03:27:30 PM »

I have a free rant policy in my office. Come in and have a giant bitch whenever you like, no judgement. Fantastic for finding out what's bugging people, fantastic for morale and it makes people think I care way more than I do. And I get to head situations off at the pass, before they get to crisis. I actually think complaining makes people more proactive, also. It's a way of de-stressing and talking through solutions. 9 times out of 10, all I do is listen and sympathise, and they come up with a solution themselves.

I'll concede if you're complaining out loud and the verbal diarrhea concludes with workable solutions, it serves a purpose.  But I rarely hear that.  And in personal experience complaining relieved stress but the trade off was I could defy "the man" by venting and the dubious benefit of staying exactly where I was with no actual improvement.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #806 on: July 16, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »
I have found that "tone" is very important when complaining.  Using the wrong tone when complaining is just "bitching", and nobody wants to listen to it.

The opposite tone can turn complaints into comedy, and everybody loves a great comedian.

Complaining in the form of critical analysis can be quite productive, assuming the topic is something that your audience shares an interest in.  It can lead to creative solutions for all kinds of things.  I've found that as I've gotten older I am getting better at this.

Asking somebody that "bitches" a lot for ideas about improving the issue can be a positive way to change their tone.  There are some people that we have to deal with, because they're family or workmates, and it helps if we can change their bitching into something that's at least less offensive and less tiring.  Learning to do this can be a quite valuable skill.  Bitchy people, naturally, don't have many friends, so they're usually pretty grateful when they realize you can handle them.  Mean dogs are the same way.  They want attention, but scare everybody else away. ;) 

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #807 on: July 16, 2018, 10:59:09 PM »
Ranting seems like a good outlet for observing people taking two parking spaces when one will do, texting while shopping or questioning the current state of health care in the US.

Complaining seems the provenance of the perpetually dissatisfied. It's too hot. It's too cold. A crappy job situation is of course the fault of your greedy boss. You don't like like your apartment because your landlord is a dick. And then there's the ex. And don't get me started on the mother, all roads lead to the mother. It's all her fault. Plus there is too much gluten, which you're powerless to resist.  Nothing is your fault. Ever. You're off the hook.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #808 on: July 17, 2018, 06:05:53 AM »
Federal/State government employees and military (armed force and National Guard) homeschool their kids stating they don't want the offspring to be state stooges and brainwashed. Meanwhile parents follow state orders and collect.

I don't get it. WTF.

It's becoming more and more prevalent in my area, to the point that public schools are reducing teachers and classrooms. (5 teachers and 3-4 classrooms in my kid's elementary school, just this year).

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #809 on: July 18, 2018, 09:19:18 AM »
Federal/State government employees and military (armed force and National Guard) homeschool their kids stating they don't want the offspring to be state stooges and brainwashed. Meanwhile parents follow state orders and collect.

I don't get it. WTF.

It's becoming more and more prevalent in my area, to the point that public schools are reducing teachers and classrooms. (5 teachers and 3-4 classrooms in my kid's elementary school, just this year).
Maybe because they have such intimate insider knowledge?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #810 on: July 18, 2018, 10:06:39 AM »

I don't get it. WTF.

Maybe because they have such intimate insider knowledge?

Deep state secrets

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #811 on: July 18, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »
Why are Americans embalmed?! To me that's either movie star, zombie or mummy territory.

I assume for open casket funerals?

Do they still do it if there isn't a viewing?  But are there not viewings in other countries? And they don't embalm there?

I'm so confused.

I have cremation in my will. I guess I need to specify no embalming?

In other parts of the world, people still have viewings and open casket funerals and outside of the USA, embalming is not standard practice, as far as I know. These days, morgue technicians are very skilled at making a deceased person look as good as possible, and bodies are stored at a low temperature before the funeral. If the funeral takes place within a reasonable period of time, embalming is absolutely not necessary in most cases.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #812 on: July 18, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
How hard can it be to take an order for a hamburger and cook it to order, especially if you're the only customer in the store.

Me:  I want a cheeseburger.  I want mustard, lettuce, tomato and cheese on it.   Just a little mustard, don't slather it on by the bucketfull.

Clerk:  (Rolls eyes about the slathering comment, so I know she heard it.)

I take a bite of the burger.   Doesn't taste right.   Open it up and find it has mayo instead of mustard.

I take it back to the clerk.  "This sandwich isn't right, it has mayo on it."

Clerk: "You don't want mayo on it?"

Me: "No, that's why I ordered one with mustard, lettuce, tomato and cheese."

I get a new burger.  Take a bite.   It's not right.  I open it up and it's covered in ketchup.

Me: "Does this loook like mustard?  It's not mustard, it's ketchup."

Clerk: "But I saw him put just a little mustard on it?"

Me:  "Then why is there ketchup on it?   I didn't ask for ketchup!"

Jeesh.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: July 18, 2018, 02:14:32 PM »
How hard can it be to take an order for a hamburger and cook it to order, especially if you're the only customer in the store.

Me:  I want a cheeseburger.  I want mustard, lettuce, tomato and cheese on it.   Just a little mustard, don't slather it on by the bucketfull.

I take a bite of the burger.   Doesn't taste right.   Open it up and find it has mayo instead of mustard.

I get a new burger.  Take a bite.   It's not right.  I open it up and it's covered in ketchup.

Jeesh.

Ooh. You're the customer from hell. I hated serving customers like you!

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #814 on: July 18, 2018, 02:19:42 PM »
You should go to Five Guys. They have that stuff all figured out.

EricL

« Reply #815 on: July 18, 2018, 08:52:47 PM »

Jeesh.

Nah.  The customer from hell does that when the joint is crowded and the staff is barely keeping up.  And persists and persists.  The employee eye roll should be the customer's trigger to do an about face and walk out if they need anything more than basic goods or services. 

carolina822

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #816 on: July 18, 2018, 09:47:26 PM »
Explanations of Benefits - not a final settlement, not a bill, no action to take, not even worth filing because the information is useless. Just an extra couple dollars added to the cost of each and every healthcare service.

I got one denying payment for a mammogram because I wasn't 40 yet (even though I called first specifically to ask if it would be covered.)

Denial Code - BS

Yep, that explained it perfectly.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #817 on: July 18, 2018, 10:21:44 PM »

Jeesh.

Nah.  The customer from hell does that when the joint is crowded and the staff is barely keeping up.  And persists and persists.  The employee eye roll should be the customer's trigger to do an about face and walk out if they need anything more than basic goods or services.

My burger pet peeve is when I occasionally go to McDonald's, I'll order cheeseburgers off the value menu - PLAIN.

Meaning: meat, cheese, bun

And I'll get something with no cheese on it. Of course, if I had wanted that, I'd have asked for plain hamburgers.

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #818 on: July 19, 2018, 11:08:47 AM »
Why are Americans embalmed?! To me that's either movie star, zombie or mummy territory.

I assume for open casket funerals?

Do they still do it if there isn't a viewing?  But are there not viewings in other countries? And they don't embalm there?

I'm so confused.

I have cremation in my will. I guess I need to specify no embalming?

In other parts of the world, people still have viewings and open casket funerals and outside of the USA, embalming is not standard practice, as far as I know. These days, morgue technicians are very skilled at making a deceased person look as good as possible, and bodies are stored at a low temperature before the funeral. If the funeral takes place within a reasonable period of time, embalming is absolutely not necessary in most cases.
Legally mandated in several parts of the US if you want an open casket funeral. I don't know why.

This sounds intentional.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #819 on: July 19, 2018, 11:44:35 AM »
My aunt died this week and she needed to be transported from one state to another to go back to her home state where she will be buried. It was a state law she had to be embalmed before her body could be transported across state lines.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #820 on: July 19, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
Well, if that's the law in many places I understand why embalming is so popular over there. Maybe the law stems from the days before cooled storage etc?

I can imagine embalming is useful when people need to be transported over long distances. Obviously that is something that is much more common in a massive country like the US than it is in my country (that is slightly bigger than the state of Maryland). A relative of mine had to be repatriated home to Europe from an African country where embalming services were not available at the time and that was not a pretty sight for the family member who had to officially identify him.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #821 on: July 19, 2018, 12:04:31 PM »
The burger stories are pretty amusing.  I order mine with no bun.  That's always entertaining, I think it must be hard to find a button that says "no bun."  I always get "you want wut?"  "No bun."  "No bun?  How you gonna eat it?"

My other rant is tea.  Here in the South, you have to order "unsweet" if you want unsweetened.  You can't say "Unsweetened."  "Wut?"  You have to say "unsweet."  Which, in a noisy place, sounds a lot like "sweet." 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #822 on: July 19, 2018, 12:23:48 PM »
The burger stories are pretty amusing.  I order mine with no bun.  That's always entertaining, I think it must be hard to find a button that says "no bun."  I always get "you want wut?"  "No bun."  "No bun?  How you gonna eat it?"

My other rant is tea.  Here in the South, you have to order "unsweet" if you want unsweetened.  You can't say "Unsweetened."  "Wut?"  You have to say "unsweet."  Which, in a noisy place, sounds a lot like "sweet."

Haha, it was definitely a culture shock to visit Nashville, order tea at breakfast, and be given a glass of sweet tea. In fact, I received sweet tea at most meals, whether I asked for tea or not.

In my area, Five Guys and the local halal burger joints are good about asking "allergy or preference" when I ask for no bun. It's the former, so I'm grateful.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #823 on: July 19, 2018, 12:34:48 PM »

Totally different here.  Everyone know what you mean when you say no bun and they usually offer to do a lettuce wrap.

I though the south was supposed to be all about hospitality?

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: July 19, 2018, 11:10:32 PM »
Well, if that's the law in many places I understand why embalming is so popular over there. Maybe the law stems from the days before cooled storage etc?

I can imagine embalming is useful when people need to be transported over long distances. Obviously that is something that is much more common in a massive country like the US than it is in my country (that is slightly bigger than the state of Maryland). A relative of mine had to be repatriated home to Europe from an African country where embalming services were not available at the time and that was not a pretty sight for the family member who had to officially identify him.

It might also have to do with climate.  Here in Italy, when someone dies the funeral is usually the next day or, at the latest, two days after the death.  Bodies are usually cremated.  This was a surprise to me as in the US a funeral is usually several days later, giving friends and family a bit of time to travel to the funeral and make time in their schedules.    Here, we have a hot climate and before refrigeration I guess they had to funerals the next day for obvious reasons.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #825 on: July 20, 2018, 12:23:09 AM »
My brother went to somewhere in the southern US earlier this year and had such trauma getting a cup of tea.

"Could I have a cup of tea, please?" Gets a glass of cold tea with a pile of sugar.
"Um, no, not iced tea. Just tea."

Eventually he worked out he had to ask specifically for HOT tea, with absolutely zero sugar in it. Literally none. Then it came swimming with milk! #verybritishproblems

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #826 on: July 20, 2018, 03:18:20 PM »
I dont understand while so many of our friends with older kids be it in High School or early college are building bigger new house then they lived in. And the costs are not cheap. These people are in the there mid 40's early 50's building 500-1,000,000 homes almost as a reward to themselves that the kids are out?! I just dont get it. Everyone of them is going to lose money when i do the math for sure where I live.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #827 on: July 20, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
My brother went to somewhere in the southern US earlier this year and had such trauma getting a cup of tea.

"Could I have a cup of tea, please?" Gets a glass of cold tea with a pile of sugar.

Eventually he worked out he had to ask specifically for HOT tea, with absolutely zero sugar in it. Literally none. Then it came swimming with milk! #verybritishproblems

And the bag they gave you to put in the water was probably "orange" or "brown" or some other nondescript flavor rather than a proper named tea leaf.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #828 on: July 21, 2018, 01:25:10 AM »

Ohhhh this makes me think about my time in SE-Asia.

Could I have a tea, please?
- Gets some pee-colored substance full of ice cubes.

Could I have a coffee with milk, please?
- Gets coffee with condensed milk and ice cubes.

After a while I started to appreciate the ice-cube and condensed milk and even the dirt cheap weird ice tea ($0.10-0.20 while a normal tea is more like $1-2) but ohh the shock the first few times.

Also beer often wasn't stocked in a fridge and came with ice cubes. Oh well.. one can get used to anything.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #829 on: July 21, 2018, 02:04:20 AM »
This reminds me of visiting countries outside of Italy with my husband.  He has stopped drinking coffee now but back in the day was addicted to espresso.  The problem is that outside of Italy, espresso pretty much universally tastes bitter and horrible and they give you three times as much liquid as you'd get here in Italy. I remember a particularly difficult episode at Café Nero in London and similarly horrible experiences at Starbucks in the US.

In the end, he started just drinking milky coffee (cappuccino, caffe latte or caffe au lait) outside Italy as he discovered that non-Italian coffee needs milk in it to make it even vaguely drinkable.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #830 on: July 21, 2018, 04:39:20 AM »

And the bag they gave you to put in the water was probably "orange" or "brown" or some other nondescript flavor rather than a proper named tea leaf.

We do recognise a kind of teabag called "ordinary", which creates a to-me-unpleasant but nonetheless recognisable beverage. My brother will happily drink ordinary tea...if it turns up looking like tea!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #831 on: July 21, 2018, 08:10:53 AM »
Personally, at home, we have what we refer to as the Tea Temple, full of leaf teas in glass jars and bags of herbal tisanes. However, it is not reasonable to expect such bounty everywhere one goes.

In England, supermarket tea probably moves at a similar volume to bananas. Tea and toast are pretty much the national staple foods, to the extent that it’s your first post-birth food and drink in hospital.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #832 on: July 21, 2018, 08:25:30 AM »
Funny, I usually only have tea when I am sick. This morning my stomach was upset and I had a Lipton Tea bag, hot water, liquid creamer and Splenda. I felt a bit better later on.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #833 on: July 21, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »

I learned the HOT keyword years ago, what I haven't learned is how to get MILK not cream for my tea.....I ask for milk, they point to the cream on the table, I ask is that milk or cream, they say cream, I say 'that's not milk', alot of folks in the US don't understand the difference.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #834 on: July 21, 2018, 08:43:20 AM »
I am given to understand there is a thing called creamer, which is like industrial fake milk.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #835 on: July 21, 2018, 11:36:12 AM »

I learned the HOT keyword years ago, what I haven't learned is how to get MILK not cream for my tea.....I ask for milk, they point to the cream on the table, I ask is that milk or cream, they say cream, I say 'that's not milk', alot of folks in the US don't understand the difference.

The fact that they answered your question with "cream" is a sign they know it's cream, not milk, and that there is a difference.  Everyone I know refers to milk as milk, cream as cream.  I've never seen anyone put milk or cream in tea before.

I like about any tea fine, tea bags at the local grocery work fine for me, just don't add any milk or cream!

But I prefer coffee with creamer and drink far more of that than tea.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #836 on: July 21, 2018, 12:00:06 PM »
I put milk in tea but typically Coffee Mate, a non dairy creamer that does not need refrigeration.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #837 on: July 21, 2018, 12:39:52 PM »
I put milk in tea but typically Coffee Mate, a non dairy creamer that does not need refrigeration.
My Coffee Mate says non-dairy but says keep refrigerated.  I only use it in coffee, though.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #838 on: July 21, 2018, 12:54:09 PM »
My Coffee Mate is in individual portions and says no refrigeration. There are different varieties. If you buy it in the refrigerated section it needs refrigeration. Mine were purchased at Costco and are probably for office's and restaurants to keep on the table with the sugar. To get it shelf stable I assume they heat treat it then chill it to sterilize it so it doesn't go bad. Like the Tetra Pack milks and juices.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #839 on: July 21, 2018, 01:46:27 PM »
I am given to understand there is a thing called creamer, which is like industrial fake milk.

That describes much of the American food industry in a nutshell.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #840 on: July 21, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »
My Coffee Mate is in individual portions and says no refrigeration. There are different varieties. If you buy it in the refrigerated section it needs refrigeration. Mine were purchased at Costco and are probably for office's and restaurants to keep on the table with the sugar. To get it shelf stable I assume they heat treat it then chill it to sterilize it so it doesn't go bad. Like the Tetra Pack milks and juices.

Ahhh Yeah, we had those same individual creamers at work in our cafeteria.  I quit using them quite a while ago when I took in my own coffee maker.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #841 on: July 21, 2018, 05:03:54 PM »
Coffee Mate was designed in a lab by leading minds in the free world to be the most scientifically perfect flavour match for coffee imaginable, and is infinitely better than common cow squirtings for that purpose.  I will brook no disdain for the flavour of it.  (The likelihood of the chemicals in it leading to your untimely demise though . . . eh, that's an open question.). :P

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #842 on: July 21, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »
Yes, and booze and meat and coffee and eggs used to be the boogie man. Now red wine, meat and eggs are good.

My grandpa lived to be 110 year old...not kidding. He farmed and was a tobacco farmer for a zillion years. He grew it, dried it, chewed it, spit it and never got mouth cancer. My grandma cooked with lard, they ate bacon and pork when it was not as lean as it is today. She lived to be 91 years old. They did live a pretty organic life and planted a gigantic garden and canned all they could. They used fresh cow manure in the garden too. They did not eat exotic things like special grains. They ate puffed wheat in giant bags, beans, corn bread, oatmeal. Just ordinary stuff and lived long lives.

I don't believe in this junk that this is good and this is bad for you. Yes, if you consume 50 lbs of lard a week you are probably in the danger zone. If you drink 70 cans of soda a week that is probably not good for you. If you are going to drink 5 gallons of whiskey a week that is probably bad for you.

I do think my granny and grandpa lived long lives due to the hard work and eating a lot of beans and oats and organic stuff. They didn't know they were eating organic. It was just the way it was back then. A very hard, hard life on the farm.

Stuff in moderation should not cause problems.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #843 on: July 21, 2018, 05:47:17 PM »

I'm regularly hearing another story about coffee being good for you.  It's funny, because the first thing I remember hearing about coffee affecting your health was that it could cause cancer.  That was probably 30 years ago.  Everything I've heard since has been good news for coffee drinkers.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #844 on: July 21, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »

I'm regularly hearing another story about coffee being good for you.  It's funny, because the first thing I remember hearing about coffee affecting your health was that it could cause cancer.  That was probably 30 years ago.  Everything I've heard since has been good news for coffee drinkers.

Coffee does have known carcinogens.  Maybe it slightly increases your risk for one cancer, reduces risk for another cancer, and has other food and bad effects.  Most people want to know if it increases or decreases  life expectancy

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #845 on: July 21, 2018, 07:09:10 PM »

Coffee does have known carcinogens.  Maybe it slightly increases your risk for one cancer, reduces risk for another cancer, and has other food and bad effects.  Most people want to know if it increases or decreases  life expectancy

Sorry, I guess I meant to imply that based on the regular good news.  It increases life expectancy for most people.  And typically, they state the benefit is there for decaf as well.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #846 on: July 21, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »

The leading cause of cancer in lab mice is cancer research.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #847 on: July 21, 2018, 09:14:30 PM »

Coffee does have known carcinogens.  Maybe it slightly increases your risk for one cancer, reduces risk for another cancer, and has other food and bad effects.
 Most people want to know if it increases or decreases  life expectancy
I don't know about life expectancy, but my morning seems to drag on, if I don't have my coffee!

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #848 on: July 21, 2018, 09:19:17 PM »

Coffee does have known carcinogens.  Maybe it slightly increases your risk for one cancer, reduces risk for another cancer, and has other food and bad effects.
 Most people want to know if it increases or decreases  life expectancy
I don't know about life expectancy, but my morning seems to drag on, if I don't have my coffee!

If you're sleepy and about to make a drive, a cup of coffee could make an immediate impact of increasing your lifespan.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #849 on: July 23, 2018, 09:04:49 AM »
Aren't those news articles about this causing cancer and that leading to a longer life just industry funded research to drive sales?

We've seen the same thing in the "debate" for/against green tech and fossil fuels. Some of that reads like propaganda. ;)