Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204926 times)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #750 on: July 11, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »
ACK, any spider, stink bug or fly will get crushed in my house. We also have horrible carpenter bees that fly around our deck and they will be killed too. They tend to hover around and are beyond annoying and damn scary too. Like flying golf balls. No thank you to all freaky bugs especially IN my house. They were not invited and are considered invaders. No catch and release here.

Understood that you don't want the bugs in your house.  I might shed a tear for the death of the useful spider who gallantly captures and eats the other pests (including spiders! :D ), but I admit I can't really abide stink bugs inside my house either.  They seem to reproduce in very large numbers, and I consider them an unacceptable nuisance indoors.

FYI carpenter bees are almost completely harmless to your health -- but unfortunately they can be destructive to your home/porch/deck.  The males have aggressive behavior, but no stinger.  The females have stingers but only seem to use them as a last resort when you attempt to mess with their nests.  I have plans to mess with the cavities they're trying to drill in my porch, and if this means I have to kill some, so be it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #751 on: July 11, 2018, 09:10:06 AM »
When will Americans realize that cemeteries are not sustainable?
I think it's happening, at least on the West Coast. However, my aunt was buried in the Family Plot at Mt. Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, MA last year. Amazing place with a fascinating history. Worth a Google search.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #752 on: July 11, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »
ACK, any spider, stink bug or fly will get crushed in my house. We also have horrible carpenter bees that fly around our deck and they will be killed too. They tend to hover around and are beyond annoying and damn scary too. Like flying golf balls. No thank you to all freaky bugs especially IN my house. They were not invited and are considered invaders. No catch and release here.

Understood that you don't want the bugs in your house.  I might shed a tear for the death of the useful spider who gallantly captures and eats the other pests (including spiders! :D ), but I admit I can't really abide stink bugs inside my house either.  They seem to reproduce in very large numbers, and I consider them an unacceptable nuisance indoors.

FYI carpenter bees are almost completely harmless to your health -- but unfortunately they can be destructive to your home/porch/deck.  The males have aggressive behavior, but no stinger.  The females have stingers but only seem to use them as a last resort when you attempt to mess with their nests.  I have plans to mess with the cavities they're trying to drill in my porch, and if this means I have to kill some, so be it.

Not to mention that bees are incredibly important as pollinators, and bee populations have been in very big trouble in the past decade.  Please let the bees alone unless you have a life threatening allergy.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #753 on: July 11, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »
Carpenter bees are destructive and hover around your body/head. I don't think they are great pollinators. We do not bother the normal bees. Wasps, yes if they will not stop buzzing us. We also had some kind of ground hornets. We had a mason doing some work and he got stung. He sprayed them with wasp spray and burned the ground. No, not playing little games with these nasties.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #754 on: July 11, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »
Not to mention that bees are incredibly important as pollinators, and bee populations have been in very big trouble in the past decade.  Please let the bees alone unless you have a life threatening allergy or they are causing significant property damage.

FTFY  :P

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #755 on: July 11, 2018, 10:42:15 AM »
I operate a "people live inside, animals live outside" policy. I also have what I would describe as an excessively exaggerated startle reaction. There is something about sudden movements, especially flapping, that flicks some kind of primal fear switch inside my head. I am happy in principle for someone else to catch and release anything (except gross flies) inside the house, but I just cannot attempt to catch anything that is flapping or scuttling without totally freaking out. It's embarrassing. The most I can manage is to drop a heavy book on it or bludgeon it to death with a large newspaper while screaming.

I remember calling a neighbour in our old flat because a pigeon somehow got in through a slightly-open window. All I had to do was to open all the windows wide and retreat until it flew out but every time it flapped my lizard brain kicked in and I suddenly found myself screaming and running out the door. Then I would turn into a grownup woman again, regroup, and plan to go in and open just one of the many windows. OH NO IT'S FLAPPING RUN RUN RUN oh wait I'm outside again and the windows are still closed. So I got our neighbour and he brought a box to catch it in. I thought he was insane. But he just walked calmly over to it, opened the window it was sitting next to (it flapped and I ran out the room) and it flew away. I was very very embarrassed. He was very very kind about it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #756 on: July 11, 2018, 10:49:33 AM »
I also don't get the idea of turning car windows into memorials, but I always try to remind myself that everyone grieves in their own way. It is pretty hard for me to find any custom surrounding death that makes logical sense.

I don't get cemeteries either. Growing up my Mom always told me "the land is for the living".

We need to decide what to do with my son's ashes. I feel like it is weird to have an urn on my husband's bedside table for the next 40+ years. But it also it hurts to think about getting rid of them.

Retyrebye50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #757 on: July 11, 2018, 10:50:54 AM »
I don't get:

Not using a turn signal

Tailgating someone when you can clearly see the posted speed limit

A front license plate in Ohio, no front license plates in other states

Tattoos

Large ear lobe hole prepping (not sure how to explain that one)

Not cleaning up after your pet in someone elses yard

Black Friday

Store sales on Thanksgiving

People of Walmart

Not listening to your parents

Not respecting your elders

Facebooking all day

The hole in a donut or bagel

Extreme volume blaring from your automobile

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #758 on: July 11, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »
I operate a "people live inside, animals live outside" policy. I also have what I would describe as an excessively exaggerated startle reaction. There is something about sudden movements, especially flapping, that flicks some kind of primal fear switch inside my head. I am happy in principle for someone else to catch and release anything (except gross flies) inside the house, but I just cannot attempt to catch anything that is flapping or scuttling without totally freaking out. It's embarrassing. The most I can manage is to drop a heavy book on it or bludgeon it to death with a large newspaper while screaming.

I remember calling a neighbour in our old flat because a pigeon somehow got in through a slightly-open window. All I had to do was to open all the windows wide and retreat until it flew out but every time it flapped my lizard brain kicked in and I suddenly found myself screaming and running out the door. Then I would turn into a grownup woman again, regroup, and plan to go in and open just one of the many windows. OH NO IT'S FLAPPING RUN RUN RUN oh wait I'm outside again and the windows are still closed. So I got our neighbour and he brought a box to catch it in. I thought he was insane. But he just walked calmly over to it, opened the window it was sitting next to (it flapped and I ran out the room) and it flew away. I was very very embarrassed. He was very very kind about it.

Do cats and dogs fit into the category of animals belong outside. Because that is one thing I don't get is why people have animals only to subject them to excessive heat, excessive cold, rain, fleas, ticks and a life of total discomfort and suffering. What is the point of animal ownership/companionship if you leave them outside to suffer?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #759 on: July 11, 2018, 11:00:07 AM »
A front license plate in Ohio, no front license plates in other states

The majority of states (31) require a front license plate. I also really don't like it, though thankfully the last two states we've lived in didn't require it.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #760 on: July 11, 2018, 11:02:45 AM »
I don't get:

I was told the hole in a bagel originated because bagel sellers would carry them on sticks.  A quick google shows that is probably not the case, though.

As to why the hole in the first place: It allows the bagel to cook faster, since there is a greater surface area for the volume of dough. It also means that you get more crust for the same amount of dough. And then there is the intrinsic attraction of the ring shape. It’s a draw for children, both because it is easy to grasp and because you can play with it.
https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/02/answers-about-the-history-of-the-bagel/

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #761 on: July 11, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »

Do cats and dogs fit into the category of animals belong outside. Because that is one thing I don't get is why people have animals only to subject them to excessive heat, excessive cold, rain, fleas, ticks and a life of total discomfort and suffering. What is the point of animal ownership/companionship if you leave them outside to suffer?

Pets are graciously upgraded from animals to honorary people.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #762 on: July 11, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »

Curious why you make the assumption that animals that evolved to live outside are "suffering" when you....allow them to live outside.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #763 on: July 11, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »

Curious why you make the assumption that animals that evolved to live outside are "suffering" when you....allow them to live outside.

Pretty sure Corgis, Yorkie-poos, etc were not evolved to live outside.  They were selectively bred, by humans, to be 'adorable' and significantly less capable of surviving without human protection.  Cats are closer to the line, but I've seen plenty of long hair breeds that are incapable of grooming themselves without human assistance.

On topic, I do not understand 'designer dogs.'

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #764 on: July 11, 2018, 12:12:14 PM »

As long as they can access shelter, shade, and water outside, they're fine. I think indoor cats suffer more than outdoor, mentally that is.  I can't imagine my whole world being a few rooms.

Not that I think either is that bad. As long as you give the indoor ones enough attention they seem pretty happy to eat, sleep, and play.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #765 on: July 11, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
But what is the point of having a dog chained to a dog house 24 hours a day. Why would anyone want that? I don't think any animal can adapt to living in the blazing sun or freezing snow. Most people have animals for companionship and enjoyment not to be forgotten in the back yard.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #766 on: July 11, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »
But what is the point of having a dog chained to a dog house 24 hours a day. Why would anyone want that? I don't think any animal can adapt to living in the blazing sun or freezing snow. Most people have animals for companionship and enjoyment not to be forgotten in the back yard.

Why do you make an assumption that a dog kept outside is forgotten? 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #767 on: July 11, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »
Seen plenty of dogs chained to dog houses 24 hours a day and no humans around. Dogs pace and pace all day and howl from lack of companionship, discomfort, boredom.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #768 on: July 11, 2018, 01:07:09 PM »
Seen plenty of dogs chained to dog houses 24 hours a day and no humans around. Dogs pace and pace all day and howl from lack of companionship, discomfort, boredom.

I've seen plenty of dogs that live outside with loving owners who spend plenty of times with them.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #769 on: July 11, 2018, 01:08:38 PM »
Very rare to see that. Contact your local Animal Welfare and see how many dogs are not so lucky.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #770 on: July 11, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »
Very rare to see that. Contact your local Animal Welfare and see how many dogs are not so lucky.

"I don't get it." What?

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #771 on: July 11, 2018, 09:02:32 PM »
Explanations of Benefits - not a final settlement, not a bill, no action to take, not even worth filing because the information is useless. Just an extra couple dollars added to the cost of each and every healthcare service.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #772 on: July 12, 2018, 04:24:25 AM »
Explanations of Benefits - not a final settlement, not a bill, no action to take, not even worth filing because the information is useless. Just an extra couple dollars added to the cost of each and every healthcare service.

Amen.  I work in health care, and the theory with EOBs is that they keep the insurer accountable to the subscriber/patient -- i.e. you can check to see that they paid what they were supposed to on a claim.  But the insurers aren't required to make them readable and easy to understand, so they don't.  (As a cynic, I could add that it is in the interest of a commercial insurance company to keep its subscribers in the dark).  The average EOB is useless to 99% of us.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #773 on: July 12, 2018, 06:14:05 AM »
I don't get:

The hole is there so the middle is not raw. It's a heat transfer during baking issue.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #774 on: July 12, 2018, 06:43:15 AM »
I don't get tattoos.

They're expensive, and almost guaranteed to create buyer's remorse at some point in the future. If they're visible, they can affect one's career path due to other's subconscious biases. And of course there is still the risk of contracting hepatitis C from getting one, although I believe this has been greatly reduced recent years.

Ditto.

And why are most of them ugly?
Same here tattoos.  Most are hideous and even the non-hideous ones become hideous after 10+ years.  Also I can't imagine choosing something now and then having to 'wear' it forever.  I look back on my fashion sense 20 years ago and cringe.  Lucky I didn't get a tattoo.

I'm covered in tattoos. Think of it this way.

I spent most of my 20's getting tattoos as mementos for things I was going through in life. I can look at them and remember where I was, and who I was then, and look forward to the person I became/becoming. They are not bad jail tattoos or anything, most of them are from actual famed artists. one of my sleeves is the cover art work from a progressive rock band named Mastodon, the album is called Leviathan and pictorially shows Moby Dick and Captain Ahab, and some other creatures. It represents the hunt and hunger for adventure, how we chase our dreams in life. I chase my dreams of music and engineering, Ahab chased the great white whale. Another tattoo I have is a antiquated hammer with "MOM" written in the head of the hammer. Sometimes I joke when people ask what it means by saying my mom just liked to get hammered, but in actuality the hammer represents strength in England, my mother who was English, was the strongest and most intelligent woman I've ever known. She passed ten years ago to stage 4 brain cancer and this was my tribute to her, for being a tough hardcore woman.

I could have spent the same amount of money, maybe more, maybe less, and bought a framed picture of them and hung them on my wall. They would sit there, collect dust, and eventually be damaged or replaced or just not be visible to anyone outside my house. Or, I could carry them everywhere I go, and when I pass they go with me.

I do agree some tattoos look terrible and dumb people get dumb tattoos but when you immerse yourself in the subculture and appreciate the artwork and talent from it its more than just wasting money.

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #775 on: July 12, 2018, 06:56:52 AM »
I guess what I am really objecting to in the "Ack kill it!" people is the thoughtlessness of their death-dealing.  The fact they don't bother to think about the creature, its life and what role it fills.

I will usually go out of my way to avoid killing if I can i.e. moving a spider outside, using non-lethal mousetraps etc. 

My turn: I don't get using disposal plates, cups and utensils at dine-in establishments.  Is it really more efficient to manage all the waste generated by single use vs. throwing it in a dishwasher and reusing it?

Waste aside, I'd rather use a metal fork and real plate vs. plastic and styrofoam. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:20:33 AM by BuildingFrugalHabits »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #776 on: July 12, 2018, 06:58:28 AM »

Thank you for this, @shelivesthedream.   I don't have that same fear response, but might act exactly the same way if I did.  You did a great job describing it, and this helps me understand some behaviors that are otherwise puzzling.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #777 on: July 12, 2018, 07:47:51 AM »
I also don't get the idea of turning car windows into memorials, but I always try to remind myself that everyone grieves in their own way. It is pretty hard for me to find any custom surrounding death that makes logical sense.

I am really attracted to the Viking way of burning the corpse on a raft covered with kindling and lit with a flaming arrow.  Although I'm not a big drinker, I'd also like to have an open bar at my funeral.  And a $100 bill as a token of appreciation of everyone that showed up.  :)

You're my kinda guy. My will will have a stipulation that my heirs must throw a party with mead drunk from horn cups.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #778 on: July 12, 2018, 08:42:55 AM »

Amen.  I work in health care, and the theory with EOBs is that they keep the insurer accountable to the subscriber/patient -- i.e. you can check to see that they paid what they were supposed to on a claim.  But the insurers aren't required to make them readable and easy to understand, so they don't.  (As a cynic, I could add that it is in the interest of a commercial insurance company to keep its subscribers in the dark).  The average EOB is useless to 99% of us.

I actually need them to submit for FSA reimbursement. I actually have to wait for the EOB, take a screenshot of it, and submit it with my form to a different sections of THE SAME INSURANCE COMPANY's website.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #779 on: July 12, 2018, 10:00:26 AM »

I actually need them to submit for FSA reimbursement. I actually have to wait for the EOB, take a screenshot of it, and submit it with my form to a different sections of THE SAME INSURANCE COMPANY's website.

Talk with your HR department about this and ask for them to allow claims crossover. (not sure if this is the term your insurance will use, it is what my work calls it)  My work has this option but you have to sign up for it during our annual enrollment period. We are given the option to sign up for it so anytime there is an EOB through our insurance it will automatically be sent to the FSA and paid out if there are funds available in my FSA. I believe this restriction and requirement to opt in has to do with HIPAA.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #780 on: July 12, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »

I am really attracted to the Viking way of burning the corpse on a raft covered with kindling and lit with a flaming arrow.  Although I'm not a big drinker, I'd also like to have an open bar at my funeral.  And a $100 bill as a token of appreciation of everyone that showed up.  :)

I have actually read research that claimed cremation was actually less sustainable than burial because of the CO2 released through the cremation process (used to work in the funeral business). I think it would have a big environmental impact if Americans stopped embalming their dead. That's a bunch of nasty chemicals you're putting in the ground or the air.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #781 on: July 12, 2018, 11:51:48 AM »

I have actually read research that claimed cremation was actually less sustainable than burial because of the CO2 released through the cremation process (used to work in the funeral business). I think it would have a big environmental impact if Americans stopped embalming their dead. That's a bunch of nasty chemicals you're putting in the ground or the air.

Not to mention the other burial costs . . .
- casket materials/energy
- tombstone/grave marker materials/energy
- land wasted by burying people in it
- energy wasted maintaining land with people buried

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #782 on: July 12, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »

Not to mention the other burial costs . . .
- casket materials/energy
- tombstone/grave marker materials/energy
- land wasted by burying people in it
- energy wasted maintaining land with people buried

I personally like the idea of natural burial.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #783 on: July 12, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
In all honesty, the whole concept of being embalmed is something I don't really get.  When you're dead, why don't you want to return to the natural cycle of things on Earth as soon as possible?  I want bugs to eat me, flowers to use me as fertilizer, and my dust to blow across the fields . . . not being pumped full of poisons in a hermetically sealed box so that I can dry rot.

People are often pretty weird in general, but burial customs are particularly strange.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #784 on: July 12, 2018, 02:49:19 PM »
In all honesty, the whole concept of being embalmed is something I don't really get.  When you're dead, why don't you want to return to the natural cycle of things on Earth as soon as possible?  I want bugs to eat me, flowers to use me as fertilizer, and my dust to blow across the fields . . . not being pumped full of poisons in a hermetically sealed box so that I can dry rot.

People are often pretty weird in general, but burial customs are particularly strange.

You might prefer a Tibetan sky burial. The deceased is placed on a mountaintop to be taken away by scavenging birds.

Be careful if you search for videos, they're a bit graphic.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #785 on: July 12, 2018, 04:14:08 PM »

Nothing is sustainable.  The universe will eventually die a heat death.  Viking funerals for all.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #786 on: July 12, 2018, 06:02:07 PM »
Why are Americans embalmed?! To me that's either movie star, zombie or mummy territory.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #787 on: July 12, 2018, 10:04:12 PM »
People with craptastic cars with custom exhausts. Nothing wrong with saving money by getting a crappy car, but why waste money on a stupid custom exhaust so it "sounds cool?" It's still a Honda Civic, just embrace the Civic experience in all its drab, compact glory, and save your money for something else.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #788 on: July 13, 2018, 07:17:13 AM »

Nothing is sustainable.  The universe will eventually die a heat death.  Viking funerals for all.

Heat death means that there's not going to be enough energy for a funeral pyre.  :(

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #789 on: July 13, 2018, 07:28:02 AM »
Why are Americans embalmed?! To me that's either movie star, zombie or mummy territory.

I assume for open casket funerals?

Do they still do it if there isn't a viewing?  But are there not viewings in other countries? And they don't embalm there?

I'm so confused.

I have cremation in my will. I guess I need to specify no embalming?

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #790 on: July 13, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »
People with craptastic cars with custom exhausts. Nothing wrong with saving money by getting a crappy car, but why waste money on a stupid custom exhaust so it "sounds cool?" It's still a Honda Civic, just embrace the Civic experience in all its drab, compact glory, and save your money for something else.

OMG...have you seen the website shittycarmods?  Well, I thought I remembered it as a website, but I just googled it, and it looks like it might be a reddit page. Some really great shitty mods on there! WTF are some people thinking?

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
« Reply #791 on: July 13, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »

OMG...have you seen the website shittycarmods?  Well, I thought I remembered it as a website, but I just googled it, and it looks like it might be a reddit page. Some really great shitty mods on there! WTF are some people thinking?

YES! Highly entertaining, for sure.

The stupidest things I've seen around here (thankfully) are antlers on cars around the holidays, and women who buy eyelashes for their headlights and lips for their front bumper. And of course the usual complement of awful vanity plates. One of my all time favorite vanity plates is the girl with Dave Matthews Band decals all over her car, who was clearly such a fan she had to buy the custom vanity plate DMBGRL. Didn't read the way she thought it did!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #792 on: July 13, 2018, 02:44:09 PM »

There's a Dodge Charger whose owner must work a few blocks from my office since I see/hear it all the time driving through here.  It's entertaining to watch and hear the driver gun that engine through downtown and never break 30mph.  I'm sure he tears up the highway once he gets there, but it seems like such a waste when he rolls by here.  How much extra does it cost for your car to make deafening noises?

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #793 on: July 13, 2018, 04:44:49 PM »

There's a Dodge Charger whose owner must work a few blocks from my office since I see/hear it all the time driving through here.  It's entertaining to watch and hear the driver gun that engine through downtown and never break 30mph.  I'm sure he tears up the highway once he gets there, but it seems like such a waste when he rolls by here.  How much extra does it cost for your car to make deafening noises?

It's even worse better here in Silicon Valley.  We get to sit in 5mph traffic with the $300K Ferrari's, McLaren's, and Audi R8's.  I had a coworker who was incredibly proud of cutting off Larry Elison's R8 while going 15mph on the 101.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
« Reply #794 on: July 13, 2018, 06:35:20 PM »
Reminds me of the year I ran a house painting company and just narrowly lost an impromptu race (less than 300 feet) in my 1980s Chevy G10 van to a guy in a Pontiac Firebird through moderate traffic on a 10 mile stretch of I-95. (Hint: it wasn't all about top speed). I still laugh when I think about that...I had to replace the tires that year, and they actually cost almost as much as the van did, but I couldn't afford to lose work buying a new one in a private sale and subsequently sitting at the DMV for a whole day. #600DollarCar #AllThoseYearsOfIceHockeyAndAvoidingMovingObjectsPaidOff #Iwas19
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:29:55 PM by Raymond Reddington »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #795 on: July 13, 2018, 09:37:12 PM »

It's even worse better here in Silicon Valley.  We get to sit in 5mph traffic with the $300K Ferrari's, McLaren's, and Audi R8's.  I had a coworker who was incredibly proud of cutting off Larry Elison's R8 while going 15mph on the 101.

My kid had a great story about passing a lovely yellow Ferrari Testarossa. While he was on his bike, and it was stuck in traffic :^)

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #796 on: July 14, 2018, 12:46:05 AM »

My kid had a great story about passing a lovely yellow Ferrari Testarossa. While he was on his bike, and it was stuck in traffic :^)

I used to pass an Aston Martin DB9 at the same time every day on the way home from work. It usually took half the journey home for the car to catch me and pass me out.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #797 on: July 15, 2018, 07:57:19 AM »
I don’t get people who complain and complain and complain, but won’t either do anything on their own or take advice to do anything that would help them address their woes.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #798 on: July 15, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »
I don’t get people who complain and complain and complain, but won’t either do anything on their own or take advice to do anything that would help them address their woes.
Complaining isn’t doing something?

EricL

« Reply #799 on: July 15, 2018, 09:40:47 PM »
Complaining isn’t doing something?

Nothing constructive.  It wastes a lot of energy that could be better spent and self conditions you to be a victim.  If you can do something about a problem, do it and expend your energy there.  If you can't, suck it up until you can find a solution or an out. 

- former complaintmeister

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!