Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204921 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #650 on: June 24, 2018, 11:52:18 AM »
I found a glass milk bottle at a thrift store. I buy milk at Costco and was having trouble with the last half of the second gallon going off. Now I pour half of the gallon into the glass bottle and the rest stays in the garage fridge that gets opened once a day or less, so it lasts longer out there, and the second gallon isn't spoiling any more. Bonus: OMG it's so much colder from the glass bottle, yum! My biggest fear is dropping the bottle...

I did have to buy plastic lids for the milk bottle, which I expect to use as long as possible. My kid ordered them for me, using his Prime account. Alas, I'm sure they came from China, sigh.

P.S. Yes, I know I can freeze it or make yogurt. It was becoming a space issue.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #651 on: June 24, 2018, 03:26:53 PM »
You can recycle tetrapaks where we live in London.

I thought of it because we're eight weeks in and still haven't transitioned to cloth nappies even though I have all the stuff. It was just too overwhelming with everything else going on. But I'm going to do another trial day on Tuesday and I think it might stick this time. I feel worse and worse every time I look at the bin overflowing with disposables. The goal is cloth for day, disposables for night unless night time wakings suddenly improve.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #652 on: June 24, 2018, 04:02:07 PM »
I don't get why there are still so many people texting and driving.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #653 on: June 25, 2018, 05:23:55 PM »
I found a glass milk bottle at a thrift store. I buy milk at Costco and was having trouble with the last half of the second gallon going off. Now I pour half of the gallon into the glass bottle and the rest stays in the garage fridge that gets opened once a day or less, so it lasts longer out there, and the second gallon isn't spoiling any more. Bonus: OMG it's so much colder from the glass bottle, yum! My biggest fear is dropping the bottle...

I did have to buy plastic lids for the milk bottle, which I expect to use as long as possible. My kid ordered them for me, using his Prime account. Alas, I'm sure they came from China, sigh.

My alcoholic father used to swear that a shot of vodka added to a gallon of milk made it last a lot longer.  But he drank White Russians all day long, so I'm not sure how long a gallon needed to last anyway. 

He also claimed a pinch of salt would make it last longer too.  That must have been before he discovered the vodka trick.  ;)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #654 on: June 25, 2018, 11:31:18 PM »

My alcoholic father used to swear that a shot of vodka added to a gallon of milk made it last a lot longer.  But he drank White Russians all day long, so I'm not sure how long a gallon needed to last anyway. 

He also claimed a pinch of salt would make it last longer too.  That must have been before he discovered the vodka trick.  ;)
I make vanilla by the 1.75 liter, thanks to the magic of Costco. I put a slug of it in DH's oatmeal every morning. I think I'll keep making vanilla instead of befouling the milk. As a child of a functional alcoholic, I feel your pain.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #655 on: June 26, 2018, 05:54:15 AM »
I don't get why there are still so many people texting and driving.

What is so important that texting can't wait till it is safe? People need to grow up and drive without texting. There should be harsher punishment by law than these wimpy $200 fines IF they get caught. Maybe two weeks in jail and they have to pay the cost of the jail stay.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #656 on: June 26, 2018, 10:52:25 AM »
I know I'm going to step on some toes with this one, and maybe it's already come up earlier in the thread, but...

#1  Owning pets in most cases.  I can understand the purpose of service dogs, companion animals for lonely elders, etc.  But otherwise pet ownership for the ostensible purpose of holding an animal captive to bring you joy* -- that's something I really have trouble wrapping my head around.  The cost, smell, mess, time commitment, restriction on travel (gotta find airlines/hotels/etc. that can accommodate Fido and/or get a pet sitter), and so on...seem like a very steep price to pay for whatever benefit people feel they get from the pet.

*I do understand that some animals like dogs have a symbiotic evolutionary relationship with humans.  The other points remain, however.  Plus, I feel particularly uncharitable toward dogs/dog ownership simply due to the fact that other people's dogs are a recurring daily nuisance in my life.  The barking, stepping on dog poop in my yard, the holes dug in my gardens, the dead spots in my grass from dog urine, and the fear of another family member being bit by a dog (again) has made me completely unsympathetic toward dogs or their thoughtless, lazy owners.  I do acknowledge that some dog owners are conscientious about cleaning up after their dogs, keeping them on a leash while walking, not letting them bark endlessly, etc.  I appreciate these people, and on the rare occasion I encounter one, I let them know it!

I've had pets before.  When I was a kid we had multiple dogs, cats, birds, fish, chameleons, snakes, rats, mice, gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, a tarantula, and I'm probably forgetting a few.  As a young kid, it was a fun novelty to show off to my friends.  But eventually I became at least peripherally aware of all the work involved, and the expense.  I was acutely aware of certain aspects, like having to pick up dog poop in our yard every week (and step on it while playing in the yard), the stench of the catbox and the unpleasant daily task of cleaning it out, ALWAYS having cat hair all over my clothing, the annoying feeling of bird seed underfoot, and the embarrassment of having guests come over to our house and clearly reading on their faces the disgust at the smell of the various animals.

At some age I also started to feel that it was cruel to keep creatures in tiny little cages for our amusement.  I was glad every time our bull snake escaped into the house, because at least it was free to move around and not sit in a little glass box waiting to be fed frozen baby mice.  Watching any rodent run on a hamster wheel because it has nothing else to do or nowhere to go is really depressing to me.  It's right up there with caged birds that sit on their perches all day and don't even know how to fly, or goldfish swimming in circles in a bowl.

Full disclosure: as a young adult I owned two cats.  I grieved when one of them died, and didn't feel much when the other one died -- it was always half feral and didn't like us much anyway.  Now that they are both dead and buried in the yard, I frequently thank them for reminding me what a pain in the butt pet ownership is.

#2  People who think of/talk about their pets as their 'children', and especially equate pet ownership with (human) child rearing.  I've owned pets and raised children, and IMO this is complete nonsense, bordering on idiocy.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:17:50 PM by Bird In Hand »

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #657 on: June 26, 2018, 11:08:34 AM »
Minor rant;
I have an Amazon credit card, that I use for... buying things... on Amazon.
I REALLY wish my statement (bill) listed what I bought for each charge!!!

zing12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #658 on: June 26, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »
^^ Pets are costly and interfere with your freedom.  I like both cats and dogs, but I don't think I could deal with "I need to be home by 9 so I can let the dog out." At least human children eventually grow up :D

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: June 26, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »
^^ Pets are costly and interfere with your freedom.  I like both cats and dogs, but I don't think I could deal with "I need to be home by 9 so I can let the dog out." At least human children eventually grow up :D

Yes - this.  I had lots of cats growing up and was quite attached to them but not getting a cat now, no matter how much my kids plead with me.  Our house is messy enough without cat fur everywhere and cat litter to change.  Not to mention, we love to travel and pets seriously restrict this.

Apart from the fact that kids eventually grow up (and even at 6 and almost 10 my kids are pretty good conversationalists a lot of the time and quite independent) you can also take kids with you when you travel.  My mother has a cat and finding someone to feed it when she travels is a huge pain.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #660 on: June 26, 2018, 03:39:47 PM »
Meh, I work at home and having small furry independent beings around keeps me from getting too lonely when the kids are in school. It gets pretty quiet around here, really. Also, I like that my kids get some hands-on experience with non-human animals who have their own agenda.

(Yeah, I do get out some, but it's nice having someone else in the house during the day. Plus, I like the cats better then lots of people...)

We're definitely not getting a dog until the kids are out of the house and after we've done quite a bit of traveling, however.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #661 on: June 26, 2018, 03:47:48 PM »
I'll say one thing for having a dog - I've walked at least 5,000 miles in the past eight years that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Pets can be so hit-or-miss. We had a cat that was psychotic (my wife got it as a kitten from a co-worker). I was the only human it ever bonded with, and its last year wasn't good - we had to rip out carpet and throw out the couch in one room due to cat pee.

Right now we just have the dog, and yes, it can be a pain finding inexpensive sitters while we're away. He's a rescue, and based on the vet's opinion, probably around twelve years old now. Once he's gone I think we're done with pets for a few years. I'd get another cat at some point, but it would be an adult rescue with a stable personality :)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #662 on: June 26, 2018, 03:55:24 PM »
Cats are so, so much easier - and cheaper - than teenagers.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #663 on: June 26, 2018, 04:50:36 PM »
I have two dogs and love them like children. I have had other dogs over the years and they were the best companions ever. I would rather have dogs than associate with most people. They are kind and gentle. They give unconditional love. They hardly ask for anything other than food, water, love and walks. What human can you say that about? I just spent $4,200 in the last week to help my one dog. He has cancer and he has had two surgeries so far and will have chemo soon. Yes, it is a lot and I could just let him go without treatment. But I can afford it and if it helps him live a few more years,  it is worth it to me. This dog is kind and gentle and oozes love. So each of us has reasons or not to have animals and invest in their health or not. Some people go the extra mile because they can and some won't spend the money because they can't. There is no right or wrong.

snapperdude

• Stubble
« Reply #664 on: June 26, 2018, 07:06:52 PM »
Plus, I feel particularly uncharitable toward dogs/dog ownership simply due to the fact that other people's dogs are a recurring daily nuisance in my life. 

I think many pet owners feel largely the same way about children. Oh, I'm sure yours were little angels though. Never annoyed anyone.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #665 on: June 26, 2018, 07:11:47 PM »
Plus, I feel particularly uncharitable toward dogs/dog ownership simply due to the fact that other people's dogs are a recurring daily nuisance in my life. 

I think many pet owners feel largely the same way about children. Oh, I'm sure yours were little angels though. Never annoyed anyone.

Other people's kids have never kept me up all night barking, but then again other people's dogs have never toilet papered my house.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #666 on: June 26, 2018, 08:32:00 PM »
Minor rant;
They don't? It doesn't? How is that even legal? That would definitely make me nuts!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #667 on: June 26, 2018, 09:52:52 PM »
Minor rant;
They don't? It doesn't? How is that even legal? That would definitely make me nuts!
I have one too. Every transaction made through Amazon says either: "AMAZON MKTPLACE PMTS" or "Amazon.com". I'm fine with this though, I prefer when I buy something that the exact item(s) isn't reported to the credit card company (Chase in this case). And I can just check my order history myself on Amazon directly if I forget what a purchase was. I've just gotten into the habit of entering Amazon purchases into my accounting software (GnuCash) immediately so that I don't have to look it up for categorization later.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #668 on: June 26, 2018, 10:11:54 PM »
Minor rant;
I have one too. Every transaction made through Amazon says either: "AMAZON MKTPLACE PMTS" or "Amazon.com". I'm fine with this though, I prefer when I buy something that the exact item(s) isn't reported to the credit card company (Chase in this case). And I can just check my order history myself on Amazon directly if I forget what a purchase was. I've just gotten into the habit of entering Amazon purchases into my accounting software (GnuCash) immediately so that I don't have to look it up for categorization later.

My Costco Visa (Citibank) doesn’t itemize my purchases at Costco, either. Like you, I’m fine with Citi not getting that info.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #669 on: June 27, 2018, 01:08:39 AM »
Minor rant;

My Costco Visa (Citibank) doesn’t itemize my purchases at Costco, either. Like you, I’m fine with Citi not getting that info.
I'm confused. Costco is a single vendor. Their bills do distinguish warehouse vs. gas purchases,  for example. But Amazon pulls from a huge number of vendors. Is there no way to tell if you ordered a garage door opener or a par of shoes or some lids for mason jars, all from different sources?  How would one know if the were under/over charged or what, exactly you were being billed for?

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #670 on: June 27, 2018, 04:55:04 AM »
I'm confused. Costco is a single vendor. Their bills do distinguish warehouse vs. gas purchases,  for example. But Amazon pulls from a huge number of vendors.

Well sort of. It's a mix of the two, as far as the Credit Card Company is concerned all payments are processed by Amazon. It has no idea if Amazon shipped you something directly or if Amazon sent a portion of that payment over to some 3rd party and they shipped you something out of their garage.

Is there no way to tell if you ordered a garage door opener or a par of shoes or some lids for mason jars, all from different sources?  How would one know if the were under/over charged or what, exactly you were being billed for?

Sure, go to your Amazon account and look at your past orders.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #671 on: June 27, 2018, 05:00:34 AM »

Other people's kids have never kept me up all night barking, but then again other people's dogs have never toilet papered my house.

I also am feeling very uncharitable toward dogs and their owners . . . We went on a hike yesterday with our kids and encountered three dogs with their owners.  None of the three were on a leash, one of them tried to jump on us, and one of them growled at us.  (Our youngest kid is terrified of dogs because of an attack when he was two.)   Dogs are required to be on leashes in this area, and all three of the owners acted clueless, like it just doesn't apply to them or something.  WTF?  I feel like some dog owners are out in la la land.  It's really pretty simple -- Keep the god damn dogs out of our personal space and on a leash.   Otherwise, please stay at home.

I swear, the next dog that tries to jump on me is going to get a good hard kick.  Rant over. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #672 on: June 27, 2018, 06:14:29 AM »
Minor rant;

I've never heard of ANY store credit card that does this.  When I use my Victoria Secret's card at VS- I don't get a list of what I bought on the statement; my Target card at Target I don't get a list of what I bought.

WHAT you bought goes on a -reciept-.  How much you spent at a specific vendor goes on the credit card statement.

It is 100% normal that the credit card says $24.99 Amazon; because you spent $24.99 at Amazon.  Your order confirmation, packing slip, order history, etc are all places you can look to see what specific items you bought.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #673 on: June 28, 2018, 07:31:37 AM »
I don't get why anyone would be stupid and gullible enough to pay hundreds of dollars to order blinds by mail. Can't you buy blinds at Home Depot or Lowe's for like $10 each ?? Or maybe $19.99 nowadays with inflation?  Remove old blinds, toss out. Put up new blinds in their place. Done. What's the problem? 

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #674 on: June 28, 2018, 08:04:56 AM »

Most human children, even the annoying ones, will eventually get a job and start paying your social security benefits (or equivalent in non-US countries).  Many of these will become experts in their fields.  Some of them will help find cures for horrible diseases, pioneer breakthroughs in crop genetics that will prevent millions of people from starving, create enduring works of art that will be cherished by millions for generations, design your next computer, develop strategies to protect endangered species, or contribute to technologies that will allow us to discover or even spread life to planets in other solar systems.  Or maybe they'll stock shelves, bag your groceries or answer the phone when you call a 1-800 number.  Most will do some combination of creating goods and services, and creating demand for goods and services, both of which can grow the economy and ultimately enable you to FIRE.

Granted, some will be a net burden on others, commit petty or horrific crimes, or generally be of no use to anyone.  Pretty hard to determine that in advance when they're still kids though.

Dogs (as pets) delight their owners by wagging their tails, fetching a stick (some can even leap up into the air and catch a frisbee), or licking their butts and genitals followed by licking their owner's faces.  Some will piss on the rug, bite a jogger, or maul a baby to death.

Although I generally eschew snuffing out life if I can avoid it, I have no problem squishing or poisoning carpenter ants if they get into my house.  While I wouldn't physically attack my neighbor's dog even though it is driving me insane with its incessant barking, I do fantasize about it wandering away and getting lost, or getting hit by one of the many cars it chases down the road, or being eaten by a bear.  I often find other people's children to be extremely annoying (my own too, for that matter), but it would never occur to me to wish them harm.

I give human children more leeway than dogs when it comes to being annoying, simply because I think humans are far more valuable than dogs.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #675 on: June 28, 2018, 08:37:37 AM »

Most human children, even the annoying ones, will eventually get a job and start paying your social security benefits (or equivalent in non-US countries).  Many of these will become experts in their fields.  Some of them will help find cures for horrible diseases, pioneer breakthroughs in crop genetics that will prevent millions of people from starving, create enduring works of art that will be cherished by millions for generations, design your next computer, develop strategies to protect endangered species, or contribute to technologies that will allow us to discover or even spread life to planets in other solar systems.  Or maybe they'll stock shelves, bag your groceries or answer the phone when you call a 1-800 number.  Most will do some combination of creating goods and services, and creating demand for goods and services, both of which can grow the economy and ultimately enable you to FIRE.

Granted, some will be a net burden on others, commit petty or horrific crimes, or generally be of no use to anyone.  Pretty hard to determine that in advance when they're still kids though.

Dogs (as pets) delight their owners by wagging their tails, fetching a stick (some can even leap up into the air and catch a frisbee), or licking their butts and genitals followed by licking their owner's faces.  Some will piss on the rug, bite a jogger, or maul a baby to death.

Although I generally eschew snuffing out life if I can avoid it, I have no problem squishing or poisoning carpenter ants if they get into my house.  While I wouldn't physically attack my neighbor's dog even though it is driving me insane with its incessant barking, I do fantasize about it wandering away and getting lost, or getting hit by one of the many cars it chases down the road, or being eaten by a bear.  I often find other people's children to be extremely annoying (my own too, for that matter), but it would never occur to me to wish them harm.

I give human children more leeway than dogs when it comes to being annoying, simply because I think humans are far more valuable than dogs.

You can thank your stupid, ignorant neighbors for letting the dog bark or for leaving it outside all day while they work. They are the problem, not the dog. The dog could be hot or cold or hungry or even sick. Maybe they want in the house and that is there only way to communicate. I would call animal control and tell them the issue. I have two house dogs and they do bark a little but when they start I put a stop to it. I do not want to listen to anyone's barking dog including mine. I do think dogs have the right to bark a little but not all day long or for hours at a time. When my dogs bark it is usually for a reason. They see a stranger walking down the road. They want to go out and do their business and not pee on the carpet. They are hungry for dinner. They are excited when a family member comes home. These are normal reasons to bark. Why do people have dogs if they are going to chain them outside day and night? What is the point?

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #676 on: June 28, 2018, 09:15:24 AM »
I don't get why anyone would be stupid and gullible enough to pay hundreds of dollars to order blinds by mail. Can't you buy blinds at Home Depot or Lowe's for like $10 each ?? Or maybe $19.99 nowadays with inflation?  Remove old blinds, toss out. Put up new blinds in their place. Done. What's the problem?

I can't speak for everyone, but the windows in our house are all sizes that you cannot just buy at Home Depot or Lowes.  When we moved into our house I searched all over for blinds and eventually just ended up ordering them online.  It worked out great, I ordered samples of the material in different colors and then once I found one that matched, I measured all the windows and ordered them.  They all fit perfect and 10 years later they still look great.  They weren't all that expensive, and there was a lot more to choose from than at the local stores. 

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #677 on: June 28, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
You can thank your stupid, ignorant neighbors for letting the dog bark or for leaving it outside all day while they work.

I "thank" them with four letter words...though mostly muttered under my breath because I want to avoid an all-out neighbor war.  Another neighbor confronted them over the dog repeatedly getting into their trash cans and making a huge mess, and the dog owners became extremely defensive and angry.  Now the same-aged kids in the two families don't even play together anymore.  It's ugly, and I want to avoid any part of that.

They are the problem, not the dog. The dog could be hot or cold or hungry or even sick. Maybe they want in the house and that is there only way to communicate.

From my perspective they're both the problem, which is what makes pet ownership (especially dog ownership) unique.  I would argue that dogs have inherently annoying behaviors like barking, biting, and digging.  So do many wild animals, but those animals are not intentionally kept within close proximity to humans, thus the impact of those behaviors are limited.  Agreed that it's selfish and stupid dog owners who tacitly condone and enable the annoying behavior to impact others.  Were it a feral dog, one could more easily (and legally) justify ending the annoying behavior with lethal means.

I would call animal control and tell them the issue.

Hah.  We've done it, and other neighbors have done it.  Totally ineffective, both in my personal experience and in talking with many others who have tried this approach.  Animal control around here seems more interested in making sure poor Fido finds his way safely home, and less interested in making sure that dog owners keep their dogs from being a danger or nuisance to others.  My wife was bit by a dog down the road while jogging.  She called animal control, who told her to call the police.  The police shrugged and said they won't do anything unless she wanted to press charges, in which case she would have to provide proof that this particular dog bit her.  They also suggested that she run on a different road.

Why do people have dogs if they are going to chain them outside day and night? What is the point?

That's a good question, but who said anything about chaining up dogs?  My neighbors presumably keep their dog in the house sometimes, but much of the time it roams free lately.  Including overnight.  Yes, I recently discovered that they leave their dog out at night to roam where it pleases.  No fences.  Bears in the woods.  A highway within roaming distance.  Arg, some people are almost as stupid as dogs.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #678 on: June 28, 2018, 10:56:45 AM »
I still say the owners are ignorant ass clowns and dogs can't learn if not taught correct behaviors. Leaving the dog to roam at night or any time of the day is  illegal in my town.

I also had an ass clown neighbor years ago who would let their dog roam. I had shouting matches with them. The man was one of those know it all types that could have stood out in the yard 24 hours a day and argued the sky was purple and the grass was blue. He thought he was always right and he did damn well what he wanted. That included not licensing his dog, letting his dog roam and crap in my yard and other neighbors, and his dog had been hit by a car a few times. No biggie to these people. I called Animal Control and they told me to call the next time the dog was out roaming and I did. They went right to the house and demanded to see the dog and they tried to lie and say the dog was in the house and it wasn't. They got fined something like $95 for unlicensed dog and no tags and shots not up to date. I had to sign the complaint. It still didn't stop this behavior but it slowed it a bit. Finally these JERKS moved after they were foreclosed on their house. Mr. Smarty Pants lived in that house for over 35 years and lost it. You'd think since he was so smart he would have paid it off by then.

Well behaved dogs do not miraculously happen when you have idiot jerks for owners.

You obviously are not a dog owner or lover but I am and know good dogs don't train themselves. Why this JERK wanted a dog that he didn't take care of is beyond me. I am SO glad he lost his house and was forced to move.

The 585

« Reply #679 on: June 29, 2018, 08:44:40 PM »
I don't get it when people choose to live 50+ miles from their workplace and then constantly complain about how long their commute is and how bad traffic is. What'd you expect?! Pretty common here in the DC area.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #680 on: June 30, 2018, 02:05:20 AM »
I'm confused. Costco is a single vendor. Their bills do distinguish warehouse vs. gas purchases,  for example. But Amazon pulls from a huge number of vendors.

Well sort of. It's a mix of the two, as far as the Credit Card Company is concerned all payments are processed by Amazon. It has no idea if Amazon shipped you something directly or if Amazon sent a portion of that payment over to some 3rd party and they shipped you something out of their garage.

Is there no way to tell if you ordered a garage door opener or a par of shoes or some lids for mason jars, all from different sources?  How would one know if the were under/over charged or what, exactly you were being billed for?

Sure, go to your Amazon account and look at your past orders.
Ah, that's it! I haven't got one. If i need something (which isn't often), my bonus kid has student prime. Boom.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #681 on: June 30, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »
I don't get people who pierce their babies' ears. A needless expense and hassle, a big commitment to keeping it clean, and surely easy for them to hurt themselves. And you've committed your BABY to have holes in its ears for life!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #682 on: June 30, 2018, 09:19:06 AM »
I don't get people who pierce their babies' ears. A needless expense and hassle, a big commitment to keeping it clean, and surely easy for them to hurt themselves. And you've committed your BABY to have holes in its ears for life!

I agree -- it seems odd to me too.  I believe it is customary in some cultures though.  I have a friend who's Peruvian, but she gave birth to her daughter here in a US hospital.  She says took it for granted that the hospital would pierce the baby's ears before they left.  (Kind of like in some cultures, some people just automatically have their son's foreskin cut off before he leaves the hospital).  My friend says she was surprised when the nurses told her "We don't do that here." 

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:52:04 AM by Trifele »

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: June 30, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »

I agree -- it seems odd to me too.  I believe it is customary in some cultures though.  I have a friend who's Peruvian, but she gave birth to her daughter here in a US hospital.  She says took it for granted that the hospital would pierce the baby's ears before they left.  (Kind of like in some cultures, for some people, you just automatically have your son's foreskin cut off before he leaves the hospital).  My friend says she was surprised when the nurses told her "We don't do that here."

I wish my parents had known her when I was a kid! They made me wait till the ripe old age (and maturity level...) of FIVE to get my ears pierced. Now that I've grown up, though, it does seem that this sort of decision should be left until the owner of the ears is able to make his/her own well-considered decision. I haven't worn earrings in years... so all that hassle was for nothing.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #684 on: June 30, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »
I don't get it when people choose to live 50+ miles from their workplace and then constantly complain about how long their commute is and how bad traffic is. What'd you expect?! Pretty common here in the DC area.
Not to mention the extra gas and miles on the car.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #685 on: June 30, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »

I agree -- it seems odd to me too.  I believe it is customary in some cultures though.  I have a friend who's Peruvian, but she gave birth to her daughter here in a US hospital.  She says took it for granted that the hospital would pierce the baby's ears before they left.  (Kind of like in some cultures, for some people, you just automatically have your son's foreskin cut off before he leaves the hospital).  My friend says she was surprised when the nurses told her "We don't do that here."

I wish my parents had known her when I was a kid! They made me wait till the ripe old age (and maturity level...) of FIVE to get my ears pierced. Now that I've grown up, though, it does seem that this sort of decision should be left until the owner of the ears is able to make his/her own well-considered decision. I haven't worn earrings in years... so all that hassle was for nothing.

I got them around the age of 7, after nagging my mum about it for what seemed like years. Although I rarely wear earrings these days, I never regretted getting them. I vividly remember wanting them for a long time and I was so happy when I got them. I really felt like a Big Girl and until my mid-teens I always wore them. There's a little visible hole on my earlobe when I don't wear earrings, but it doesn't bother me at all.

That doesn't mean I get people piercing very young children's ears though. Lots of people around here do it and I've been told they prefer to do it in newborns because they're so young they're not touching their ears during the healing process. If you wait until the babies are a little older, they start pulling their earrings. Still that's a really bad reason to pierce a young baby's ears. My fiance and I have agreed that we won't pierce our kid's ears until they start asking for it and are aware of the consequences. We have agreed that we'll treat boys and girls equally, which is important to us, but I secretly hate earrings in little boys.... so I hope they'll never ask. 

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #686 on: June 30, 2018, 10:53:05 AM »
I really wanted my ears pierced around 7 or so but I was scared, so my uncle brought me and got his pierced too. It was a fun bonding experience. I would never pierce a baby's ears, it should be their choice. I'd also never circumcise a baby unless it was medically necessary either. Tradition or religion aren't sufficient reasons for me.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #687 on: June 30, 2018, 12:18:38 PM »

My parents didn't even mention it around me until I was old enough to want it done, which was when I was 5 and my best friend had just had hers done. We had a little talk about what it would mean to keep the piercings clean and not take out the studs, and then I had it done. My only memory of the procedure was picking out studs with little pink stones, which was fun. I'm still using those piercings 35 years later, whereas the second set I had done at age 14 had closed up by my 16th birthday (although I'm thinking of having them redone).

Babies flail and fuss so much that I can't imagine trying to keep those piercings clean (especially if you have a baby who spits up frequently, as that goes everywhere).

Antonn Park

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Blue Flower Editing
« Reply #688 on: June 30, 2018, 04:51:38 PM »
Avocado toast

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #689 on: June 30, 2018, 05:57:53 PM »
Avocado toast

Yeah, I love avocado but I would much rather slice it and stuff it in a tortilla with scrambled egg and salsa.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #690 on: June 30, 2018, 06:50:15 PM »

So we were living in Miami when my first was born, and I'm pretty sure that at the time EVERY baby girl in Dade County had her ears pierced. Some of them were possibly born with them already pierced. ;-) Everybody we met asked, "When are you getting her ears pierced??"

So, I figured, what the heck. We had them pierced by the pediatrician, and I swear to you that she complained because I held her hands still, but did not so much as flinch when the piercing was done (and she was generally a screamer.)

She didn't mess with them and they healed up fine, and her ears are still pierced 30 years later.

However, I did not enjoy trying to change earrings in little girls' ears, and so my other two girls had to wait until they were 10yo for pierced ears.

I am sure that part of my decision was that my own mother wouldn't let me get my ears pierced on the grounds that she thought it looked "trashy", and I was a bit bitter. ;-)

Anyway, another perspective - it really was no big deal from the baby's point of view.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #691 on: June 30, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »
I had to wait until I was 12. We spent summers in Mexico, so I had it done at the hospital for tourists. IIRC, one of my sibs was getting something stitched up. My mom asked if they pierced ears, they said yes and quoted a very nominal price, like five bucks. I had to pay for it out of my alllowance, which was fine with me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:46:29 AM by Dicey »

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #692 on: June 30, 2018, 07:33:32 PM »
I hate it when I’m shopping online and I click on a picture to make it bigger and the “enlarged” picture is smaller than the orginal photo I was looking at.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #693 on: July 01, 2018, 10:33:05 AM »
Avocado toast

Which part don't you get? I really like avocado toast, good multigrain bread, avocado, fried egg, and topped with sauteed onion and bell pepper. I don't get paying $10 for it at a restaurant though!

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #694 on: July 01, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »
I don't really like avocados at all myself, but I think that's because here in England, due to them having to be shipped from wherever hot place it is they actually grow, the progression of an avocado in your cupboard generally goes something like this: unripe -> unripe -> unripe -> unripe -> ripe and edible for one moment that you inevitably miss because you weren't paying attention and you went out or were asleep or something -> black.

Maybe I'd get avocados if I tried one in a place where they actually grow, and are therefore freshly picked at just the right time.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #695 on: July 01, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »
Yum - I love avocadoes.  I agree that you have to avoid the out of season ones that go from rock hard to too mushy in half a day.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #696 on: July 01, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »
I don't really like avocados at all myself, but I think that's because here in England, due to them having to be shipped from wherever hot place it is they actually grow, the progression of an avocado in your cupboard generally goes something like this: unripe -> unripe -> unripe -> unripe -> ripe and edible for one moment that you inevitably miss because you weren't paying attention and you went out or were asleep or something -> black.

Maybe I'd get avocados if I tried one in a place where they actually grow, and are therefore freshly picked at just the right time.
Nope, avocados don't work that way. They are rock-hard when they're picked and must be left to ripen on the counter, typically at home. I did just learn that they can be refrigerated once they get soft, which will hold them for another couple of days. They will not ripen if refrigerated, so it makes sense that refrigerating them stops the ripening process. Ah, but a perfectly ripe avo is a little slice of heaven!

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #697 on: July 02, 2018, 02:46:14 AM »
We have the same problem with avocados: they remain hard as iron for days on end, then we have a window of about three hours when they're perfect, before becoming inedible mush. It must be something about the islands of the northeastern Atlantic. I swear I've left for work before with an avocado sitting on the counter that I could use to hammer nails into wood, and come home that evening to a semi-liquid ball of disappointment.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #698 on: July 02, 2018, 05:51:18 AM »
Peaches can be the same way.  It must be how they're handling them in the grocery stores or in shipping. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #699 on: July 02, 2018, 06:56:00 AM »
Yes, my belief with lots of fruits and veggies is that they refrigerate them to transport them and that stops the normal ripening process. When it does start to get soft it is really going from hard unripe to rotten, not ripe. I can almost never get peaches to ripen, they are as hard as rocks and I despise that.