Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204902 times)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #350 on: June 02, 2018, 07:56:06 AM »
My Hub has the solution. He would like to concrete the whole yard and paint it green. Then he wants to cut down all the trees too so there will be no leaves to deal with in the fall.
Pave paradise and put up a parking lot?

With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swinging hot spot?
Don't it always seem to go...

...that you don’t know what you want till it’s gone.

Love that song.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #351 on: June 02, 2018, 09:40:20 AM »
My Hub has the solution. He would like to concrete the whole yard and paint it green. Then he wants to cut down all the trees too so there will be no leaves to deal with in the fall.

Love that song.
My mom has been singing that song all week, so funny that it would come up here too. Love it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #352 on: June 02, 2018, 10:18:34 AM »

Love that song.
My mom has been singing that song all week, so funny that it would come up here too. Love it.
<3

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2018, 10:36:00 AM »
I don't get people that take politics super-seriously or choose their friends based on politics.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #354 on: June 02, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »
I don't get people that take politics super-seriously or choose their friends based on politics.

I also don't understand how some people seem to agree with every position those on their "side" take.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #355 on: June 03, 2018, 07:45:02 AM »
https://earther.com/lawns-are-an-ecological-disaster-1826070720

If this article is true, I'm really curious what American lawns look like. Because I have never seen anything like this article describes in real life.

In my area, the local governments are pleading with people to replace paved yards with grass, because the amount of rain is increasing and with all these modern paved backyards the rain has nowhere to go. Obviously it's insane to try to grow a lawn in the desert, but that's a different problem.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #356 on: June 03, 2018, 08:12:20 AM »
Things I don't get:

Why do people tailgate? Don't they know it is dangerous not to mention STUPID?

Why do people purposely run a red light  when they have plenty of time to stop? Don't they realize they could kill someone OR get killed?

Why do people have to go from one lane to another passing one car at a time to try to beat the traffic when it is practically bumper to bumper and could cause an accident OR get killed.

Why do people HAVE to talk on their cell phones as soon as they get behind the wheel? They are swerving all over the place and in the opposite lane and almost smashing into other cars head on.

Doesn't anyone follow any rules of the road anymore?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:12:32 AM by Roadrunner53 »

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #357 on: June 03, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »
Things I don't get:

Why do people purposely run a red light  when they have plenty of time to stop? Don't they realize they could kill someone OR get killed?

Why do people have from one lane to another passing one car at a time to try to beat the traffic when it is practically bumper to bumper and could cause an accident OR get killed.

Why do people HAVE to talk on their cell phones as soon as they get behind the wheel? They are swerving all over the place and in the opposite lane and almost smashing into other cars head on.

I agree with your list.  The people that drive like this, tailgating, no turn signals, cutting off, speeding up to the next car then doing it again and again...I think they drive like this all the time, never realizing the only reason they can do this is because most others are not.  What if everyone drove this way?  The highways would be an undriveable blood bath.  How much earlier are they actually arriving at their destination having endangered all those other people, a few minutes?

Here, cell phone use while driving is illegal.  You can't even use it while stopped at a traffic light.  Yet, I'd estimate about half of people are on the phone.  Often, blatantly.   They are being stared at, honked at, but they seem oblivious.  The accident rate has risen 35% I recall hearing.  They do things like drift into other lanes, or travel at 40mph while others are going 65.  Or sit at green lights oblivious to what's going on around them.

The other day while visiting a relative in the hospital, they transferred in a young woman into the next bed over, who had been in the ICU for a month, according to the nurses.  She had driven right off an overpass, jumped the guardrail and smashed into the ground below.  There was also her child in the car who I think survived.  Texting.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #358 on: June 03, 2018, 10:24:44 AM »
Things I don't get:

Why do people have to go from one lane to another passing one car at a time to try to beat the traffic when it is practically bumper to bumper and could cause an accident OR get killed.

There isn't one time I leave the house to go anywhere that something on this list doesn't happen. One day I was in the right lane stopped at a red light and had been there for several seconds when a car came flying by probably 60 MPH in the left lane thru the red light. He had no intention of stopping. In my state it is also against the law to use the cell phone while driving but seems just about everyone is on them. WHAT IS SO IMPORTANT that they can't pull over off the road and talk then get off of the phone and resume driving. Is the end of the world going to occur if they can't fondle their phones every second of the day?

As far as tailgating goes, WHY??? Driving is dangerous to begin with. Why would you want to tailgate. It must take great skill to be two inches from a person's bumper and not crash. Why can't they just turn on some music and chill out and stay back where they belong.

I live on a road that the speed limit is 30 MPH. There is one part it goes up to 35 MPH. Almost no one goes 30 but if you are going 35 or 38 and someone is tailgating, how fast do they want you to go? You are already exceeding the speed limit.

Another thing, where are the cops when all this crap is happening? Never, ever see one pulling anyone over for this stuff.

I am almost looking forward to cars that drive themselves and that scares me to death!

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #359 on: June 03, 2018, 11:12:58 AM »
Regarding tailgating...

Decades ago I used to participate on a forum with topic fancypants German sports cars.  I once brought up the problem of tailgating.  Why do people feel the need.  I was promptly scolded by apparent habitual tailgaters.  They argued they do it to pressure the driver ahead, including flashing their headlights, to get out of their way.  Well, I'm already speeding in this lane, and it's not like I can just readily move over because of traffic, so why are you still on my ass?  They piled on saying I was the problem.  They are more special than the rest of us, you see.  You are just borrowing THEIR highway.  They have places to go and people to see.

That mentality I don't get.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #360 on: June 03, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
Regarding tailgating...

Decades ago I used to participate on a forum with topic fancypants German sports cars.  I once brought up the problem of tailgating.  Why do people feel the need.  I was promptly scolded by apparent habitual tailgaters.  They argued they do it to pressure the driver ahead, including flashing their headlights, to get out of their way.  Well, I'm already speeding in this lane, and it's not like I can just readily move over because of traffic, so why are you still on my ass?  They piled on saying I was the problem.  They are more special than the rest of us, you see.  You are just borrowing THEIR highway.  They have places to go and people to see.

That mentality I don't get either.

One day on the road I live on I was headed over to another town about 7 miles down the road. This road is a state road and is very well maintained but is a country road and extremely windy and hilly. So, I am on my way back home on this road and there is one passing zone on a straight section. This person passes me and I am happy about that, however, this road I mentioned is 30 MPH and this person had to be going at least 60 MPH! This road is very dangerous and only two lanes. Full of hills and bad curves. I have no idea how this jerk drove that fast and was out of sight in no time. A lot of people's driveways go right into this road. There is no way the jerk could have stopped. Plus, years ago, they used to herd cows down this road and they have the right of way. I could just see this maniac plowing into the herd and cows flying in the air.

Funny, in the driving manual I used to take my driving license it didn't mention to tailgate and flash headlights to alert the driver in the front of you to get out of the way.

Another thing that must be a NEW thing is that when my Spouse was still working he went on the interstate every day. Well, several times he would be driving in the wee hours of the morning and all of a sudden would hear something. Well, the something was a car on the interstate with no headlights on when it was pitch black. How STUPID is that?

Please tell me what is wrong with people? Have they all turned into zombies and their brains rotted out of their skulls?

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: June 03, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »
Lawns. They're awful, expensive and largely pointless. Buy chemicals, water, mow. All for the privilege of having y9ur neighbors critique how well you use chemicals, water and mow.
We replaced our lawn with slate chips last year. It looks awesome, and it wasn't terribly expensive, especially compared to other non-grass options.

@Dicey I would love to see a pic of the slate chips. Any chance you can PM one to me? We’re trying to get rid of bark mulch because of the fire risk. Thx.

jimmyshutter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #362 on: June 03, 2018, 01:10:54 PM »
Facebook although I kind of get it.

I had an account about 6 years ago and it was fun for about 3 months until I realized what a waste of time it was for me. I see some uses for it but I also see people who are on it for hours and hours and I just don't get it. lol

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #363 on: June 03, 2018, 01:16:56 PM »
Slate chips < I too want to see a pic.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #364 on: June 03, 2018, 03:39:32 PM »
Regarding tailgating...

If someone's tailgating you, just let your foot off the accelerator and wait a few seconds.  The person will invariably pass you in a huff.  They get to feel like they showed you who was boss, you get to go on your way safely.  Everyone wins.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #365 on: June 03, 2018, 03:48:11 PM »
When I get tailgated I usually slow down but they never seem to pass me. Then when I approach my driveway I slow down a long way before I reach the driveway and go like 5 MPH in a 30 MPH limit.

EricL

« Reply #366 on: June 03, 2018, 03:55:48 PM »
It occurred to me when I still had a car I couldn’t remember the last asshole thing somebody did to me on the road for longer than a year.  Not a singe detail about what they looked like or their car make, model, or color.   Even after a couple months it became fuzzy.  That went a long way to curing my road rage.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #367 on: June 03, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »
Regarding tailgating...

If someone's tailgating you, just let your foot off the accelerator and wait a few seconds.  The person will invariably pass you in a huff.  They get to feel like they showed you who was boss, you get to go on your way safely.  Everyone wins.

At this point in my long driving career (zero tickets/accidents...knock on wood), I don't even antagonize by slowing, I just move over when I can.  Put my turn signal to let them know I'm yielding way when it's safe.  I've done all the other stuff out of frustration like decelerating, braking, the middle finger, waiting for them to pass and then speeding up so they encounter the next car over and realize they have to return to the original lane (these people will maneuver unsafely just to gain a car length), etc.   No more of that.  I see them coming and just let them do their thing that makes them happy, then watch as they do the same to the next car, then the next...and just SMH wondering what could possibly be up their ass that makes them drive this way.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #368 on: June 04, 2018, 04:31:25 AM »
Regarding tailgating...

At this point in my long driving career (zero tickets/accidents...knock on wood), I don't even antagonize by slowing, I just move over when I can.  Put my turn signal to let them know I'm yielding way when it's safe.  I've done all the other stuff out of frustration like decelerating, braking, the middle finger, waiting for them to pass and then speeding up so they encounter the next car over and realize they have to return to the original lane (these people will maneuver unsafely just to gain a car length), etc.   No more of that.  I see them coming and just let them do their thing that makes them happy, then watch as they do the same to the next car, then the next...and just SMH wondering what could possibly be up their ass that makes them drive this way.

You are so right. I have done all that you have mentioned. It gets you nowhere. I would like to know these people's problems! Then when they have an accident we are supposed to feel sorry for them getting in a tragic accident. Nope, not me. I feel sorry for the other person the tailgater hit.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #369 on: June 04, 2018, 06:44:43 AM »
Regarding tailgating...

You mentioned German sports cars, were some of these people perhaps German? I've heard (from someone who lived in Germany maybe 30 years ago) that the norm on German roads is to always be in the right lane unless you're actively passing. Tailgating and flashing stills seems like a bit much but maybe they view the offense as more egregious?

Sucking it up is probably the safest thing. When I first started driving I thought it was funny to put on my turning signal, wait until they back off a bit, then turn it back off. Then one night I did this to someone in a jeep who was super aggressive, right on top of me going 60mph on back roads with no one else around, and surprise surprise, that made it worse. They got on me again and followed me home. They pulled up beside me a few times, maybe to make hand gestures but I never looked. Stands to reason that anyone who tailgates is more likely than average to also have road rage issues.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #370 on: June 04, 2018, 06:59:37 AM »
Regarding tailgating...

At the risk of turning this into a driving rant thread; what those said to you may have a point (although I can't say for sure because obviously I've never seen you drive). 

Just because you're already speeding doesn't mean you aren't impeding traffic flow.  The USA has an epidemic of people who do not use lane etiquette.  The left lane is NOT the "fast" lane.  It's the passing lane.  "Fast" is entirely subjective; one person's 5 mph over the limit may seem fast, but may be a crawl to the line of cars behind them.  If you are not actively passing someone while in the left lane, you are the problem.  Once finished, move over.  Admittedly I drive 10-12 mph over the limit on the highway (school zones, res areas I do the limit, no more).  I still move over after passing; there's always someone who goes faster than me.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:01:31 AM by dignam »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #371 on: June 04, 2018, 07:34:08 AM »
Regarding tailgating...

What I mentioned isn't done to antagonize.  It's done to create a safer driving situation when you're driving safely in the right hand lane.  I want to make it as easy as possible for the person tailgating to get out of my life.  You're supposed to drive on the right hand side of the road unless passing, so it goes without saying that your action should always be to 'move over when you can' regardless of what any vehicles behind you are doing.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #372 on: June 04, 2018, 07:42:43 AM »

I understand people who take police brutality seriously because they are far more likely to be shot by police for doing nothing at all.

Maybe your demographic doesn't have that problem.

I understand people who take oppression seriously because they can end up going to jail (or being shot by police) simply for waiting for a friend at a Starbucks, or cooking at the grill in a public park, or doing their job at their place of work, or asking directions from someone, or just opening their front door.

I understand people who take oppression seriously because they can't get promoted because of their gender, or get sexually harassed because, as Trump Jr put it so very clearly, if you can't stand being sexually harassed in the workplace, you should stay at home.  Or they have to learn at age 10 to go to the bathroom in groups so they won't get groped by some guy while they are away from their friends.  (You did know that's why girls do that?)   As one coworker put it, again so very clearly, when I brought up Trump's video self-confession to being a serial sexual assaulter, "Why should I care?  It's not like it's bad for the economy!"

What I can't get is people who have no damn empathy for folks in that situation and can't be bothered to give a damn about the injustice of it.  Because, after all, it's not affecting them, so why should they care?   

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #373 on: June 04, 2018, 08:11:55 AM »

I understand people who take police brutality seriously because they are far more likely to be shot by police for doing nothing at all.

I understand people who take oppression seriously because they can end up going to jail (or being shot by police) simply for waiting for a friend at a Starbucks, or cooking at the grill in a public park, or doing their job at their place of work, or asking directions from someone, or just opening their front door.

I understand people who take oppression seriously because they can't get promoted because of their gender, or get sexually harassed because, as Trump Jr put it so very clearly, if you can't stand being sexually harassed in the workplace, you should stay at home.  Or they have to learn at age 10 to go to the bathroom in groups so they won't get groped by some guy while they are away from their friends.  (You did know that's why girls do that?)   As one coworker put it, again so very clearly, when I brought up Trump's video self-confession to being a serial sexual assaulter, "Why should I care?  It's not like it's bad for the economy!"

What I can't get is people who have no damn empathy for folks in that situation and can't be bothered to give a damn about the injustice of it.  Because, after all, it's not affecting them, so why should they care?
I think a lot of people are unable (unwilling?) to put themselves in other people's shoes.  They are either sheltered enough, or self-absorbed enough, or inexperienced enough that it doesn't occur to them.

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #374 on: June 04, 2018, 09:10:42 AM »
Things I don't get:

+1 I too wish drivers would be a bit more courteous, respectful, and safer towards each other.

Recent studies have shown that the longer the commute, the more unhappy people have become. More people, more traffic, more time on the road, less time for family and other activities.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #375 on: June 04, 2018, 09:32:41 AM »
I would like to address the other side of the driving spectrum. The people who are clearly afraid to be driving on the highway. They refuse to drive in the right lane because they don't want to have to merge with others getting on and off the highway. All of this while driving well below the speed limit. Why don't they just take an alternate route? I don't get it.

Also, I spent two weeks in Germany a few years ago. If you are driving slowly in the left lane of a highway with no speed limit, you are a major safety hazard. That car coming up behind you at 150 mph isn't going to have time to safely slow down behind you. Also, Germans by nature are strict rule followers. They will certainly be annoyed by your lack of lane discipline and not using your turn signal. This is something I absolutely do get. I am of German descent however...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #376 on: June 04, 2018, 09:39:32 AM »
I would like to address the other side of the driving spectrum. The people who are clearly afraid to be driving on the highway. They refuse to drive in the right lane because they don't want to have to merge with others getting on and off the highway. All of this while driving well below the speed limit. Why don't they just take an alternate route? I don't get it.

I do agree with you that there are overly cautious drivers, and that the passing lane should be used for passing . . . not just hanging around in mile after mile.

One part of your post though:
Also, I spent two weeks in Germany a few years ago. If you are driving slowly in the left lane of a highway with no speed limit, you are a major safety hazard. That car coming up behind you at 150 mph isn't going to have time to safely slow down behind you. Also, Germans by nature are strict rule followers. They will certainly be annoyed by your lack of lane discipline and not using your turn signal. This is something I absolutely do get. I am of German descent however...

If a driver is operating a vehicle beyond his ability to do so safely, he is the one who is driving unsafely.  Unexpected events happen on roads.  Trees fall, landslides happen, mud and snow covers lanes, vehicles stall, etc.  If a car is driving at 150 mph and doesn't have time to slow down for a vehicle in front (much less come to a complete stop as would be necessary for many situations) that driver is pretty clearly not in control of his vehicle.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #377 on: June 04, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »
Regarding tailgating...

At the risk of turning this into a driving rant thread; what those said to you may have a point (although I can't say for sure because obviously I've never seen you drive). 

Just because you're already speeding doesn't mean you aren't impeding traffic flow.  The USA has an epidemic of people who do not use lane etiquette.  The left lane is NOT the "fast" lane.  It's the passing lane.  "Fast" is entirely subjective; one person's 5 mph over the limit may seem fast, but may be a crawl to the line of cars behind them.  If you are not actively passing someone while in the left lane, you are the problem.  Once finished, move over.  Admittedly I drive 10-12 mph over the limit on the highway (school zones, res areas I do the limit, no more).  I still move over after passing; there's always someone who goes faster than me.

Umm...yeah, I know about etiquette, traffic flow, and what passing lanes and right lanes are for.  But thanks for the driving lesson.

Also, taking your foot off the accelerator while someone is on your bumper, regardless of what lane you're in, whether they are German or otherwise, will typically antagonize them regardless of whether your intent is to put them "in a huff" to "create a safer driving situation", as Guitarstv says.  These people are likely prone to road rage, as someone mentioned.  Whatever the thing up their ass is (e.g., "I drive XX mph over the speed limit unless I'm in a school zone"), it's usually best to just safely avoid them.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #378 on: June 04, 2018, 12:34:12 PM »
Regarding tailgating...

Umm...yeah, I know about etiquette, traffic flow, and what passing lanes and right lanes are for.  But thanks for the driving lesson.

Also, taking your foot off the accelerator while someone is on your bumper, regardless of what lane you're in, whether they are German or otherwise, will typically antagonize them regardless of whether your intent is to put them "in a huff" to "create a safer driving situation", as Guitarstv says.  These people are likely prone to road rage, as someone mentioned.  Whatever the thing up their ass is (e.g., "I drive XX mph over the speed limit unless I'm in a school zone"), it's usually best to just safely avoid them.
So, speeding is a crime that routinely results in dead people.

Why exactly should I help someone commit a potentially deadly crime?

Suppose I'm in a bank, and a bank employee sees someone walking across the parking lot with a gun. Thinking quickly, they lock the door. I walk over and unlock the door, letting the bank robber in. Am I aiding the bank robber in the commission of a crime that might result in the deaths of bystanders?

How is enabling speeding any different? Why encourage illegal tailgating by breaking the speed limit yourself?

I drive just over the speed limit unless I'm slowing down for tailgaters. F'em.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #379 on: June 04, 2018, 12:40:20 PM »
Changing lanes is statistically more dangerous than speeding. The person driving slowly in the left lane, which forces others to change lanes to pass them, is the one causing the accidents.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #380 on: June 04, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »

I do agree with you that there are overly cautious drivers, and that the passing lane should be used for passing . . . not just hanging around in mile after mile.

If a driver is operating a vehicle beyond his ability to do so safely, he is the one who is driving unsafely.  Unexpected events happen on roads.  Trees fall, landslides happen, mud and snow covers lanes, vehicles stall, etc.  If a car is driving at 150 mph and doesn't have time to slow down for a vehicle in front (much less come to a complete stop as would be necessary for many situations) that driver is pretty clearly not in control of his vehicle.

Couldn't these things happen at virtually any speed though? I guess you are really just making an argument for speed limits in general as opposed to defending the person driving too slow in the left lane?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #381 on: June 04, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »
Speaking of terrible drivers, I also hate the ones who pull into intersections when they can't leave the other side due to traffic. Where do they think they are they going? How did they get so entitled that they will block an entire light cycle for cross traffic so they can be 5 feet further ahead and still not be any closer to their destination? I don't get it.
And also, left lane is for passing only! I even got docked on my driving test for making a left turn into the left lane and not moving over to the right as soon as I could.  I don't care if you don't like changing lanes, if you can't do it safely you probably shouldn't be driving. Tailgaters are shitty, and they deserve whatever speeding tickets they get, but you disrupt the whole flow of traffic when you hog the left lane.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #382 on: June 04, 2018, 12:59:02 PM »
Traffic simulator (move the "Right Bias Cars" slider to the left to simulate slow drivers in the passing lane):
http://www.traffic-simulation.de/index.html

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #383 on: June 04, 2018, 01:06:08 PM »

So, speeding is a crime that routinely results in dead people.

I think this is one of the biggest exaggerations I've ever read.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #384 on: June 04, 2018, 01:29:44 PM »

Couldn't these things happen at virtually any speed though?

Yes.  You could come to a tree fallen across the road when you're travelling at any speed.  As the operator of an automobile it is your responsibility to drive in such a manner that you would be able to avoid this obstacle safely.

I guess you are really just making an argument for speed limits in general

No, not at all.  I have no problem with people speeding.  My argument is that you should never drive unsafely.  If you come around a corner and can't see what's on the other side, then it's up to you as a responsible operator to reduce your speed to the point that you could safely stop in case of an emergency.  If you are driving so quickly that you cannot safely control your vehicle when encountering slower moving traffic is on the road, then you are unable to control your vehicle at that speed.  Speed if you want, but don't drive beyond your ability.

Speed itself is not the problem, it's speeding in combination with unsafe driving.

as opposed to defending the person driving too slow in the left lane?

I'm not defending anyone driving too slow in the left . . . nobody should be driving in the left lane unless he or she is passing someone going even slower in the right.  Being in the left lane and going slower than traffic in the right should be a ticketable offense.

Here's how things should work on a four lane (two in each direction) highway:
1 - Driver A is moving along in the right lane at 5 over the speed limit.
2 - Driver B is moving along in the right lane ahead of driver A at the speed limit.
3 - Driver A moves over to the left lane when it's safe to do so, accelerates slightly, and passes driver B.
4 - Driver A moves back to the right lane ahead of Driver B.

That's it.

If Driver C is zipping along the at 10 over the speed limit he should be in the right hand lane except to pass.  If Driver C approaches slow moving B while A iis n the left hand lane, then C needs to change lanes safely, and then reduce speed to proceed safely . . . and should pass A once A has completed his pass.  This isn't rocket science.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:32:17 PM by GuitarStv »

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #385 on: June 04, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »
When I'm being tailgated, I tap the brake pedal 3 times. That usually gets the tailgater to back off or change lanes without any horn honking or middle fingers.

I don't get this fixation on going at the highest possible speed--or rather, on the "injustice" of not being able to go as fast as possible in the left lane. There is no God-given right to go as fast as you can. The speed limit is not a minimum speed. 

Changing lanes is statistically more dangerous than speeding. The person driving slowly in the left lane, which forces others to change lanes to pass them, is the one causing the accidents.

Oh, bullshit. The drivers who choose to make an unsafe pass are the ones causing the accident. They are responsible for their behavior, even when they are provoked by some little old lady driving slowly in her Cadillac.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #386 on: June 04, 2018, 01:58:33 PM »
Regarding tailgating...

It wasn't specifically directed at you, but you're welcome.

Lane changes are by far more hazardous than speeding.  Slow drivers in the left lane force lane changes and unsafe passing on the right.  It is not your responsibility to enforce the law by driving slowly in the left lane, there are cops for that (note again I am not specifically directing this at you, this is a rant thread).  I, and the majority of drivers risk a ticket each time we drive 1mph over the limit. 

I will agree though that tailgating is almost always dangerous and stupid.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:02:53 PM by dignam »

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #387 on: June 04, 2018, 02:00:48 PM »
My thoughts on tailgating/speeding:

Being tailgated is no fun because it puts you under pressure and means that you're more likely to make mistakes, simply because this other driver is up your bum.
Unless you are an ambulance driver or something, you have no need to tailgate/go a huge amount faster than the speed limit anyway, because, well, whatever is at the other end of your journey is really not that vital.
HOWEVER, in the interests of practicality, if you are being tailgated then it's best to allow the tailgater to pass you at a relatively safe point, because then they are Far Away From You and whatever accident they cause won't involve you.

Breaking the arbitrary speed limits set by the law is not inherently bad or idiotic, but when you decide what speed to go at, you should consider these things:

a) How fast are the cars around you driving? Drive 10mph slower than everyone else, especially on a road without many lanes, and you'll become the head of a queue of increasingly frustrated cars that might try to overtake you dangerously. Drive too fast and you'll just have to pull up short a quarter mile further up the road.

b) What is your safe stopping distance? Preferably without having to jam the brakes on and give everyone in your car whiplash. Regardless of the speed limit, it's incredibly foolish to drive so fast that if a hazard (kid/cow/bicycle in road, somebody else crashed up ahead, portal to a parallel dimension appeared, whatever) appeared at the farthest away point that you can see, you could not stop before you reach it. This is why it is much safer to drive at 80mph on a wide, straight motorway/highway than on some tiny rural back road that's incredibly narrow with tall hedges and 6513515 twists and turns. I drive at 20mph on the second of those, even though most of them are technically national speed limit here in England. (For those of you that don't know what that means, that means I could TECHNICALLY legally go at 60mph on the road I live off, despite it being a steep slope with a large number of blind bends that occasionally features horses, cyclists, wide vehicles coming the other way, and even the occasional deer. Legal =/= sensible when it comes to driving.)

c) How efficient is it to go at that speed? I think it's actually more fuel efficient to travel at 55mph than at 70mph, and if you're coming up to some traffic lights (stoplights?), then if you slow down gradually and smoothly from further away, they might have changed by the time you get there and you won't even have to stop, whereas if you whiz up to the line while they're on red then you'll have to brake hard and go right down to first gear.

So yeah, I don't get why the tailgating types need to go quite so fast. But ultimately, how I respond to them is nothing to do with being right or making them have a particular feeling, but is instead to do with making sure I am safe from their idiotic behaviour.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #388 on: June 04, 2018, 02:07:01 PM »
My thoughts on tailgating/speeding:

Being tailgated is no fun because it puts you under pressure and means that you're more likely to make mistakes, simply because this other driver is up your bum.
Unless you are an ambulance driver or something, you have no need to tailgate/go a huge amount faster than the speed limit anyway, because, well, whatever is at the other end of your journey is really not that vital.
HOWEVER, in the interests of practicality, if you are being tailgated then it's best to allow the tailgater to pass you at a relatively safe point, because then they are Far Away From You and whatever accident they cause won't involve you.

Breaking the arbitrary speed limits set by the law is not inherently bad or idiotic, but when you decide what speed to go at, you should consider these things:

a) How fast are the cars around you driving? Drive 10mph slower than everyone else, especially on a road without many lanes, and you'll become the head of a queue of increasingly frustrated cars that might try to overtake you dangerously. Drive too fast and you'll just have to pull up short a quarter mile further up the road.

b) What is your safe stopping distance? Preferably without having to jam the brakes on and give everyone in your car whiplash. Regardless of the speed limit, it's incredibly foolish to drive so fast that if a hazard (kid/cow/bicycle in road, somebody else crashed up ahead, portal to a parallel dimension appeared, whatever) appeared at the farthest away point that you can see, you could not stop before you reach it. This is why it is much safer to drive at 80mph on a wide, straight motorway/highway than on some tiny rural back road that's incredibly narrow with tall hedges and 6513515 twists and turns. I drive at 20mph on the second of those, even though most of them are technically national speed limit here in England. (For those of you that don't know what that means, that means I could TECHNICALLY legally go at 60mph on the road I live off, despite it being a steep slope with a large number of blind bends that occasionally features horses, cyclists, wide vehicles coming the other way, and even the occasional deer. Legal =/= sensible when it comes to driving.)

c) How efficient is it to go at that speed? I think it's actually more fuel efficient to travel at 55mph than at 70mph, and if you're coming up to some traffic lights (stoplights?), then if you slow down gradually and smoothly from further away, they might have changed by the time you get there and you won't even have to stop, whereas if you whiz up to the line while they're on red then you'll have to brake hard and go right down to first gear.

So yeah, I don't get why the tailgating types need to go quite so fast. But ultimately, how I respond to them is nothing to do with being right or making them have a particular feeling, but is instead to do with making sure I am safe from their idiotic behaviour.

+1 on pretty much all points.

That's why I mentioned letting off the accelerator when you're being tailgated.  You're driving safely, so you're in the right hand lane.  By gradually reducing your speed you're guaranteeing that this person will pass you and be out of your life.  No need for brake checking him (dangerous), or getting nervous/upset.  Just gradually reduce the pressure of the situation until it goes away.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #389 on: June 04, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
When I'm being tailgated, I tap the brake pedal 3 times. That usually gets the tailgater to back off or change lanes without any horn honking or middle fingers.

I don't get this fixation on going at the highest possible speed--or rather, on the "injustice" of not being able to go as fast as possible in the left lane. There is no God-given right to go as fast as you can. The speed limit is not a minimum speed. 

Oh, bullshit. The drivers who choose to make an unsafe pass are the ones causing the accident. They are responsible for their behavior, even when they are provoked by some little old lady driving slowly in her Cadillac.

It is okay if you don't see the injustice of people wanting you to get out of the way because you are disrupting the flow of traffic, but in many cases you would be in violation of the law enacted by democratically elected officials.

https://www.vox.com/2014/6/16/5804590/why-you-shouldnt-drive-slowly-in-the-left-lane

Perhaps a grassroots campaign to overturn these unjust laws is in order? Can't wait to hear the slogans.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
One more point - Germany seems to have figured out the unrestricted speed thing pretty well.  IIRC, there are only a few US states with lower accident rates than Germany's Autobahn.  Granted part of it is much more strict licensing and inspection, which I am 100% in favor for in the states.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #391 on: June 04, 2018, 02:15:38 PM »
I live on a two lane State road with a 30 MPH speed limit. I personally don't mind people going somewhat faster than the speed limit, but I do despise tailgating. We also have deer, bears, wild turkeys and an occasional cow that gets loose from a pasture sometimes. My road is considered a 'scenic' road and motorcycles drive on this road spring, summer and fall. Most times they are loud and annoying but then there are the rogue drivers that have to be going 70 miles and hour. I always wonder what they would do if they encountered some wildlife while going so fast. I read in the news that last weekend a motorcycle driver and passenger had an encounter with a bear. The motorcycle wiped out and had to be towed away. The driver and passenger had to be taken to the hospital. They weren't on my road but nearby.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #392 on: June 04, 2018, 02:19:59 PM »
One more point - Germany seems to have figured out the unrestricted speed thing pretty well.  IIRC, there are only a few US states with lower accident rates than Germany's Autobahn.  Granted part of it is much more strict licensing and inspection, which I am 100% in favor for in the states.

Didn't Montana have no speed limit for the longest time?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #393 on: June 04, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »

Didn't Montana have no speed limit for the longest time?

Yes, until 1999 (though you could still get a ticket for speeding):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States_by_jurisdiction#Reasonable_and_prudent

See also, on safety:
http://staged.mediatrackers.org/2014/12/02/montanas-speed-limit-make-highways-safer/
“The [NMA] study shows the safest period on Montana’s Interstate highways was when there were no daytime speed limits or enforceable speed laws,” NMA stated in 2001. “The doubling of fatal accidents occurred after Montana implemented its new safety program; complete with federal funding, artificially low speed limits and full enforcement.”

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #394 on: June 04, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »
How many of you who believe the left lane (in the U.S. not the autobahn) is for passing only have explained to a police officer that there is actually no speed limit in the left lane because that lane is for passing all those cars doing the speed limit? How did it go?

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #395 on: June 04, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
How many of you who believe the left lane (in the U.S. not the autobahn) is for passing only have explained to a police officer that there is actually no speed limit in the left lane because that lane is for passing all those cars doing the speed limit? How did it go?

I was given a warning for driving (not speeding) exclusively in the left lane on the interstate in the US.  Pulled over and the cop told me I could not drive in the left lane only because it was only to be used for passing.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #396 on: June 04, 2018, 02:49:42 PM »

I was given a warning for driving (not speeding) exclusively in the left lane on the interstate in the US.  Pulled over and the cop told me I could not drive in the left lane only because it was only to be used for passing.

If I was getting a warning, I'd probably keep my smart mouth shut too. But still I wonder what the cop would have answered if you had asked him what the speed limit is in the left lane, or why there is no minimum speed posted on a per lane basis.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #397 on: June 04, 2018, 02:51:01 PM »

If I was getting a warning, I'd probably keep my smart mouth shut too. But still I wonder what the cop would have answered if you had asked him what the speed limit is in the left lane, or why there is no minimum speed posted on a per lane basis.

Nobody here is literally arguing that there is no speed limit in the left lane...I mean that's nonsense.  Of course there's a speed limit.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #398 on: June 04, 2018, 03:27:18 PM »

This is a beautiful post. If it isn't there yet, I'm going to post it to the Best Thing... thread.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:33:06 PM by Dicey »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #399 on: June 04, 2018, 03:31:23 PM »

Nobody here is literally arguing that there is no speed limit in the left lane...I mean that's nonsense.  Of course there's a speed limit.

What is the speed limit in the left lane then? Suppose for the sake of example the sign says the speed limit is 65 mph.