Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204887 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #250 on: May 24, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
Also, why do baby clothes have pockets?

To train parents to pay attention to the small details and keep them on their toes. :)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: May 24, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »
Wait a sec, BABIES clothes have pockets and women's don't?!

I don't get it.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2018, 02:12:03 PM »
Alcoholism is considered an addiction.  I also think a lot of heavy drinkers have something that they're trying to forget or escape from.  It's a social drug that is legal, and that is its main attraction as far as I can tell. 

I think it allows people to act in all kinds of inappropriate ways and feel likes it's okay because they were drunk.  Sort of like going to confession and your sins are forgiven & forgotten as if they didn't happen. 

Drinking can also be like quicksand since the first drink tends to encourage the second, then the third, etc.  You have a drink which loosens you up and begin having fun.  That felt good, so "why not have another"? 

Then you also have drinkers tend to hang out with other drinkers.  It's their thing, so they automatically are going to drink whenever they're together. 

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2018, 08:07:11 PM »
Drinking can also be like quicksand since the first drink tends to encourage the second, then the third, etc.  You have a drink which loosens you up and begin having fun.  That felt good, so "why not have another"?   

This is the part I don't get - first drink encourages the second?  Um, first drink encourages me to curl up and take a nap.  It doesn't loosen me up, or make me more social, it makes it seriously difficult to even pay attention to what's going on let alone have fun.

I can't fathom the appeal of alcohol for others.  For me it's definitely "why bother?".

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2018, 09:43:30 PM »

I don't get it.

Teeny tiny pockets, so small that anything that would fit in there would be a choking hazard. I guess it's maybe for fashion, but I think they would look just as cute with no pockets or with fake pockets, so why the real ones?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2018, 09:58:27 PM »
Starting drinking late in the evening, when you plan to drink/socialize for hours. Usual result is you lose the next day because of a hangover/sleeping in.

Why not start drinking at noon on a Sat? Drink and party/socialize all day with friends. Stop at 9 or 10, go home, get a full night's rest and sleep off the alcohol. Then you still get Sunday as a usable weekend day.

Amen.  It has to be a group effort though so the parties over at the same time.  I used to start drinking early, thinking I would then be asleep by 9 or 10.  The next morning I would be curious why I'm still tired if I went to sleep around 10...then one of my friends would say "we shut the bar down last night", after going to 3 other bars that I had no recollection of...#earlydrinkingblackout

I don't get: people who drink to the point of not remembering that night and being proud of it - and wanting to do it again.

Yes, this! As a non-drinker it's difficult for me to understand hard-drinking people. I get drinking a few glasses if you really like the taste ( I can't stand it). But the desire to get completely drunk is just extremely difficult for me to understand. Why does a grown adult want to degenerate into a barely conscious adult baby barely able to walk and talk? And do it again the next time - on purpose?

I especially don't get it when it happens at gigs and festivals. You pay €200 for a ticket to see your favourite bands, and €3,50 per drink, and you don't even remember it the next day? Might as well stay at home, play their CD and drink cheap booze. You could camp in the backyard on a half-inflated airbed to get the true festival experience.
Imma, I coulda written every word of this. Amen, sister!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2018, 10:08:31 PM »

I don't get it.

Teeny tiny pockets, so small that anything that would fit in there would be a choking hazard. I guess it's maybe for fashion, but I think they would look just as cute with no pockets or with fake pockets, so why the real ones?

Wait are you talking about the baby pockets or women's pockets?  Because I feel like that's how the pockets are on all MY clothes and I really don't need to be protected from choking hazards.

I would really like to have real pockets on some of my pants.  Like, even my hiking pants' pockets barely fit my phone. In the meantime, my boyfriend barely needs to carry a backpack because he's got everything he owns in his pockets.  They are like Mary Poppins' carryall bag and I'm over here trying to see if I can sneak one tube of lip balm in mine.  Women's pants are preposterous.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: May 25, 2018, 06:52:43 AM »
Alcoholism is considered an addiction.  I also think a lot of heavy drinkers have something that they're trying to forget or escape from.  It's a social drug that is legal, and that is its main attraction as far as I can tell. 

I think it allows people to act in all kinds of inappropriate ways and feel likes it's okay because they were drunk.  Sort of like going to confession and your sins are forgiven & forgotten as if they didn't happen. 

Then you also have drinkers tend to hang out with other drinkers.  It's their thing, so they automatically are going to drink whenever they're together.
You hit the nail on the head here.  I think most drinkers are using it as a form of escapism.  I know I did.  Life is boring, so have a beer (or 12 ;) and it will be less boring.  Life is stressful, so have a few drinks and the stress goes away.  I've got to go to a party where I don't really know anyone, so I'll have a few beers and my shyness will disappear.  In all of these situations, it's about getting away from something - be it boredom, stress, social anxiety, or any form of unpleasantness you may be dealing with.  Whatever you want to get away from, you can likely do it (at least temporarily) with enough alcohol.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: May 25, 2018, 12:11:19 PM »

You hit the nail on the head here.  I think most drinkers are using it as a form of escapism.  I know I did.  Life is boring, so have a beer (or 12 ;) and it will be less boring.  Life is stressful, so have a few drinks and the stress goes away.  I've got to go to a party where I don't really know anyone, so I'll have a few beers and my shyness will disappear.  In all of these situations, it's about getting away from something - be it boredom,
stress, social anxiety, or any form of unpleasantness you may be dealing with.  Whatever you want to get away from, you can likely do it (at least temporarily) with enough alcohol.

I know a number of alcoholics TOO well.  There are always deeper issues besides the drinking.  Booze is the wrong drug, but easily available and socially acceptable.  Personally, the side effects aren't worth the pleasure.  Also, it's a depressant.  Who needs that?  It's like watching a bad movie, over and over.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #259 on: May 25, 2018, 01:39:14 PM »

You hit the nail on the head here.  I think most drinkers are using it as a form of escapism.  I know I did.  Life is boring, so have a beer (or 12 ;) and it will be less boring.  Life is stressful, so have a few drinks and the stress goes away.  I've got to go to a party where I don't really know anyone, so I'll have a few beers and my shyness will disappear.  In all of these situations, it's about getting away from something - be it boredom, stress, social anxiety, or any form of unpleasantness you may be dealing with.  Whatever you want to get away from, you can likely do it (at least temporarily) with enough alcohol.

This is true.  My mother was an alcoholic, and it eventually killed her.

I like wine.  I live in wine country.  Wine is popular here.  Now that I'm older, I see that people younger than me are drinking...a lot.  And, it's the kind of drinking you'd expect to see 20-somethings do, but they are 30-something.  I guess they are still single or don't have kids so...

I enjoy a glass of wine.  It's relaxing to go to the winery, sit in a comfy chair, and sip.  I've almost completely stopped drinking at home though, because it became a crutch when dealing with stress.  Also: it interferes with my sleep.  Even a couple of ounces of wine (less than half a drink) with dinner will cause me to sleep like crap.  So it's not something I can do often - I need my sleep!  So now, I take the wine that I get from my wine clubs to my neighborhood potlucks.  I have a glass, or two, and that's it for the week.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #260 on: May 26, 2018, 10:47:29 PM »
Television just baffles me. It just seems... boring and stupid? And I hate commercials. I'm not great at sitting still for that long either with nothing occupying me. And then you see these things in the news about how the average person watches 3, 4, 5 hours a DAY of it? I just don't get how people can watch it that much and not lose their minds.

This .... me too! I haven't watch TV in so many years ... and I don't miss it. Occasionally I find something I enjoy on Netflix (like a series) but very rarely and I prefer to hang out with my family rather than watch TV.
I also don't get video games ... guys at work play for HOURS ... like 6 or 8 hours of their life!!!!

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2018, 11:43:50 AM »
Television just baffles me. It just seems... boring and stupid? And I hate commercials. I'm not great at sitting still for that long either with nothing occupying me. And then you see these things in the news about how the average person watches 3, 4, 5 hours a DAY of it? I just don't get how people can watch it that much and not lose their minds.

This .... me too! I haven't watch TV in so many years ... and I don't miss it. Occasionally I find something I enjoy on Netflix (like a series) but very rarely and I prefer to hang out with my family rather than watch TV.
I also don't get video games ... guys at work play for HOURS ... like 6 or 8 hours of their life!!!!

This is me.  I'll watch TV if there is something I want to watch and when I decide to watch it.  Making the decision to spend some time enjoying something one finds enjoyable is one thing...  Having the TV on as a default or "binging" dozens of episodes because you're too lazy to come up with anything else to do makes no sense to me.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: May 28, 2018, 01:10:33 PM »
Same here.  I don't watch TV but I do watch the occasional Netflix series that I really enjoy.  I just finished Wild, Wild Country which was great.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2018, 05:22:39 AM »
I don't get the whole bicycling ensemble with the tights and all that stuff.  Is it so you are not mistaken for a poor person with no car?  I get the idea behind it but I feel like there should be a practical option for everyday riding to work etc.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2018, 06:02:47 AM »
I don't get why people use a dryer in fantastic weather.

It's 30C  / 86F outside, sunny and dry atm and early in the afternoon. I just witnessed my neighbour turning on her dryer, while she is home and has a garden. It would take her less than 5 minutes to put her laundry on the line outside and it would dry just as quick, smell better, lower her electricity bill and her environmental impact.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #265 on: May 29, 2018, 06:32:44 AM »
Golf.

I have several friends who play several times a week.

Closest I have come is driving the cart/drinking beer for mandatory fun when i was in command.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2018, 07:44:48 AM »
I don't get the whole bicycling ensemble with the tights and all that stuff.  Is it so you are not mistaken for a poor person with no car?  I get the idea behind it but I feel like there should be a practical option for everyday riding to work etc.

I started riding to work on a too small for me mountain bike, wearing regular shorts, sneakers, and a cotton t-shirt.  (Maybe sweatpants and a sweater when it was cold.)  I currently wear bike shorts and a tight fitting cycling jersey on my road bike when riding to work.

My ride is 13 miles each way.  When it was hot in the summer, I'd get chafing on my inner thighs with regular shorts that would prevent me from riding as much as I wanted to.  The cotton shirt would soak through with sweat half way through the ride and be heavy/itchy until I got to my destination.  When you're cycling quickly, your clothing makes a ton of noise as it whips around in the wind . . . and it kinda acts like a parachute slowing you down.  When wearing sweatpants, I'd need to wear a band around my leg or tuck them into a sock to prevent them from catching in the chain.  If it rained, I'd be soaked wet and then get chilled very quickly (even though I had fenders).

Every one of these problems is solved by wearing proper bike clothing.  Yes, you'll have to embrace looking a bit goofy . . . but they make riding a bike much more comfortable.  Regular clothing is not practical on a bike unless you're cycling very short distances, very slowly, in nice weather.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2018, 08:17:27 AM »

It's 30C  / 86F outside, sunny and dry atm and early in the afternoon. I just witnessed my neighbour turning on her dryer, while she is home and has a garden. It would take her less than 5 minutes to put her laundry on the line outside and it would dry just as quick, smell better, lower her electricity bill and her environmental impact.

In our case, it's the incredible amount of dust in the air down here, especially in the spring/early summer.  We live in the center of about a 100 mile radius of flat, barren dirt fields saturated with pesticides.  The dust storms look like something from a movie, and anything more than a light breeze is full of dust.

I would like to try this if we ever move, though.  Or even here in the late summer/early fall (least dusty season) if we had room to put up a line where the clothes wouldn't immediately be covered with bird-shit.

But I think it never crosses my mind b/c I associate line drying with field work, and unbelievably skunky clothing that you can't fully wash but have to wear for weeks (in one case, so stinky that black vultures kept stealing it off the line LOL).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »

In our case, it's the incredible amount of dust in the air down here, especially in the spring/early summer.  We live in the center of about a 100 mile radius of flat, barren dirt fields saturated with pesticides.  The dust storms look like something from a movie, and anything more than a light breeze is full of dust.

I would like to try this if we ever move, though.  Or even here in the late summer/early fall (least dusty season) if we had room to put up a line where the clothes wouldn't immediately be covered with bird-shit.

We must live in similar places. The cars and pretty much any outdoor surface are currently covered in tree pollen. We have birds everywhere, and they aren't shy about using everything in our yard as their toilet. This is also a high-humidity area, so sometimes things just don't dry in the air.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2018, 09:02:20 AM »

We must live in similar places. The cars and pretty much any outdoor surface are currently covered in tree pollen. We have birds everywhere, and they aren't shy about using everything in our yard as their toilet. This is also a high-humidity area, so sometimes things just don't dry in the air.

I get it when you live in a place where climate / surroundings don't allow for line drying, but I know for certain my neighbour lives in the perfect place for line drying. Our climate is not humid at all, and I only get birdshit on my laundry about once a year. Dust and pollution are not issues here either. I dried some white sheets outside today and the only way to get them this crisp and fresh and white is by drying them outside in the bright sunlight.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2018, 09:07:56 AM »
I do not understand the phrase "break the internet".

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2018, 10:02:18 AM »

I agree.  I live in an apartment with no balcony but we still line dry all year long (no one has dryers here in Italy).  There are special dedicated clothes lines on the roof of our building - it currently takes less than 2 hours to dry heavy towels.  And when it rains, we just dry everything on a clothes horse type thing inside.  Mustachian and environmentally friendly.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #272 on: May 29, 2018, 11:58:58 AM »

I use my dryer because drying clothes outside would cause most of my family to be feeling like garbage if they touched/wore any of those items. My allergies are TERRIBLE and my list of items is super long. My youngest also appears to have a lot of allergies based on his symptoms. Just easier to use a dryer than to make sure I don't touch/sleep on/wear any items that have grass, pine, pollen, mold, or dirt particles.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2018, 12:51:40 AM »

I started riding to work on a too small for me mountain bike, wearing regular shorts, sneakers, and a cotton t-shirt.  (Maybe sweatpants and a sweater when it was cold.)  I currently wear bike shorts and a tight fitting cycling jersey on my road bike when riding to work.

My ride is 13 miles each way.  When it was hot in the summer, I'd get chafing on my inner thighs with regular shorts that would prevent me from riding as much as I wanted to.  The cotton shirt would soak through with sweat half way through the ride and be heavy/itchy until I got to my destination.  When you're cycling quickly, your clothing makes a ton of noise as it whips around in the wind . . . and it kinda acts like a parachute slowing you down.  When wearing sweatpants, I'd need to wear a band around my leg or tuck them into a sock to prevent them from catching in the chain.  If it rained, I'd be soaked wet and then get chilled very quickly (even though I had fenders).

Every one of these problems is solved by wearing proper bike clothing.  Yes, you'll have to embrace looking a bit goofy . . . but they make riding a bike much more comfortable.  Regular clothing is not practical on a bike unless you're cycling very short distances, very slowly, in nice weather.

A thousand times this. Proper cycling gear ensures you cool down faster in hot weather, and is faster than ordinary clothing by a serious margin - we're talking in minutes rather than seconds for a ten mile ride. If you ride ten miles each way to work, proper gear could save you five to ten minutes each day.

There's also the factor for a lot of people that they're effectively training or exercising while riding, and so want to be properly equipped. And the vanity factor may come into play - I worked hard for these legs, and I'm not about to hide them under baggy shorts!

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »

A thousand times this. Proper cycling gear ensures you cool down faster in hot weather, and is faster than ordinary clothing by a serious margin - we're talking in minutes rather than seconds for a ten mile ride. If you ride ten miles each way to work, proper gear could save you five to ten minutes each day.

I'm all for proper gear, but really, shave MINUTES off a 10 mile ride?  Any data to support this?  You're really telling me by putting on tight cycling clothing instead of my baggy underarmour shorts I'm going to shave minutes from my ride?  Sorry, this is super hard for me to buy into without seeing some actual supporting data.

Quote from: CyclingWeekly
Cycling Weekly’s own tests show that an aerosuit can save around five watts of energy compared to a close-fitting jersey and short combination and 10 watts over loose-fitting clothing, equating to time savings of 45 seconds or more over 25 miles.

Not exactly a massive time savings, and this is for top tier cyclers.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:06:16 AM by dustinst22 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2018, 10:05:34 AM »

I'm all for proper gear, but really, shave MINUTES off a 10 mile ride?  Any data to support this?  You're really telling me by putting on tight cycling clothing instead of my baggy underarmour shorts I'm going to shave minutes from my ride?  Sorry, this is super hard for me to buy into without seeing some actual supporting data.

This wind tunnel testing showed the difference between a slightly baggy fit cycling jersey and a tight fitting one:  http://www.stickybottle.com/uncategorized/video-loose-vs-tighter-jerseys-tested-in-a-wind-tunnel-energy-saved-time-gained-is-huge/.  It came to 91 seconds over 24 miles for a short sleeve jersey.  If you add in the drag of baggy shorts and your typical (even baggier) t-shirt, I wouldn't be surprised to see a greater time differential.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2018, 10:07:47 AM »
Yes, as I mentioned, Cycling Weekly found something similar (45 seconds saved).  Keep in mind, this is a top level cyclist and over 25 miles.  Not exactly a drastic difference unless you're in a race.

Cycling Weekly’s own tests show that an aerosuit can save around five watts of energy compared to a close-fitting jersey and short combination and 10 watts over loose-fitting clothing, equating to time savings of 45 seconds or more over 25 miles.

And the difference is for an actual aerosuit, not just standard close fitting cycling clothing.  And this is for 25 miles, big difference betweeen that and a 10 mile ride.  When all is said and done, Tom might be able to shave 10 seconds off his 10 mile ride wearing a jersey/short combo.  Not exactly drastic for riding to work.  But yeah, if you're a racer, of course that's beneficial.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:15:56 AM by dustinst22 »

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2018, 10:15:36 AM »
This wind tunnel testing showed the difference between a slightly baggy fit cycling jersey and a tight fitting one:  http://www.stickybottle.com/uncategorized/video-loose-vs-tighter-jerseys-tested-in-a-wind-tunnel-energy-saved-time-gained-is-huge/.  It came to 91 seconds over 24 miles for a short sleeve jersey.  If you add in the drag of baggy shorts and your typical (even baggier) t-shirt, I wouldn't be surprised to see a greater time differential.

I ride to burn calories, so I ride in baggy shorts + cotton t-shirts :) projected to be upper 90's / low 100's all week, bring it!
Actually I tried cycling gear but can't stand the looks/cost/feel for daily use. I have 1 set of 'cycling' shorts/jersey for use on centuries

Something "I don't get": older kids (and adults!) obsessed with Legos. Seems rather infantile in addition to the crazy high price and how uncomfortable they are to step on!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2018, 10:19:14 AM »
Yes, as I mentioned, Cycling Weekly found something similar (45 seconds saved).  Keep in mind, this is a top level cyclist and over 25 miles.  Not exactly a drastic difference unless you're in a race.

And the difference is for an actual aerosuit, not just standard close fitting cycling clothing.  And this is for 25 miles, big difference betweeen that and a 10 mile ride.  When all is said and done, you might be able to shave 10 seconds off your 10 mile ride wearing a jersey/short combo.  Not exactly drastic for riding to work.

Slower cyclists actually save more time via aerodynamics than faster cyclists, (https://flocycling.com/slower-athletes-save-more-time.php) but yeah you're probably not going to notice much on a 10 mile ride.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2018, 10:39:42 AM »

There's also the factor for a lot of people that they're effectively training or exercising while riding, and so want to be properly equipped. And the vanity factor may come into play - I worked hard for these legs, and I'm not about to hide them under baggy shorts!

I commute by bike 100% of the time, I have never owned a car. I've also never owned cycling gear and never missed it. The only thing I do is wear thermal leggings and woolen socks underneath my regular jeans during the winter, or the wind will blow right through them. My daily commute has never been longer than about 15 km one way though. I imagine if you're cycling really long distances you might want some extra gear - I don't have to ride very fast so I don't sweat.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2018, 12:31:33 PM »

And the difference is for an actual aerosuit, not just standard close fitting cycling clothing.  And this is for 25 miles, big difference betweeen that and a 10 mile ride.  When all is said and done, you might be able to shave 10 seconds off your 10 mile ride wearing a jersey/short combo.  Not exactly drastic for riding to work.

Slower cyclists actually save more time via aerodynamics than faster cyclists, (https://flocycling.com/slower-athletes-save-more-time.php) but yeah you're probably not going to notice much on a 10 mile ride.

That "funny looking" specialty gear actually makes cycling safer* and far more comfortable, which makes the likelihood of riding one's bike much greater, which results in real savings. The dollar kind, which is far more impactful than a little bit of time.

*As anyone who's ever gotten a pants leg caught in a chain can testify.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #281 on: May 30, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs
3) People who get pissed at the neighbors whose dogs contribute natural compost to their lawns EVEN THOUGH their own dogs can contribute natural compost there, as if it's a territorial thing or the shit is somehow different.
4) People described under #3 who encourage me to "adopt" a dog even as they make life miserable and degrading for dog owners.

I have a 10lb dog.  An 80lb dog's shit IS different.

Also, my dog shits only in the backyard (it's fenced, he doesn't go in the unfenced front).  I know to watch for shit there.  If someone else's dog shits in the front yard, I (and others in my household) am/are not expecting it.

Yep. I don't have dogs. Somehow, I ended up needing to scrape and clean a rather large quantity of fairly fresh dog shit off of my workboot last fall after working in my own yard.

I don't have dogs because I don't want to deal with dog shit in my yard (among other reasons). I certainly don't want to deal with shit from other peoples' dogs.
The interesting thing about lawns is that they compel us to blame other people and animals for the poop rather than the presence of the lawn itself. I.e. we tend to neglect that another solution to the problem (and many other problems) is to not have a lawn, or at least not expect them to be sterile play surfaces and have our day ruined when reality intrudes upon this illusion. Will we end up shaking our fists in the air at the birds dropping poop on our grass? Earthworms are shitting all over the place just beneath the surface. Topsoil itself is composed of decomposing organic matter, including poop. Even blue ribbon lawns are full of bacteria, fungi, molds, alge, viruses, and parasites for various species.

The issue with dog poop for me isn't seeing dog poop. It's the people being so inconsiderate that they didn't pick it up when they saw their dog do it. I have a dog. I love dogs. I don't like people who don't clean up their shit. I see it as no different than tossing a cigarette butt or garbage on the ground. Be better than that people, for Christ sakes!

The point, in a nutshell, is that it's illogical to both like dogs and to like pristine lawns. You cannot have a pristine lawn in a neighborhood with lots of dogs. It's a fantasy. It's the equivalent of deciding keep a dog indoors, and then getting pissed off every time you see hair on the floor and furniture. Well, actually your incompatible desires led you to this point of frustration. It was inevitable. What I don't get is why people don't realize they are imposing this agitation upon themselves.

The next closest parallel to this cognitive dissonance is wanting to have six-pack abs and also wanting to eat Hardees double-baconator-whatever burgers for dinner every night. Yes, the freedom to choose is hard for us grown-ups, but to blame others for the impossibility of one's ideals (i.e. dogs that don't shit or shed) is simply being unaccountable.

MrSeven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #282 on: May 30, 2018, 12:55:32 PM »
No offense taken.  I'm not giving medical advice :-)

My point is... why wouldn't someone try it?  And bullocks on the "food doesn't cause migraines." Maybe it's not the food itself CAUSING the migraine, but it can be a reaction by my body trying to process said food.  Like when someone has Celiac Disease, which I have.  And you know when I get my migraine?  2-3 days after I ingest something I shouldn't. I'm no stranger to unsolicited medical advice - I don't give that either.  Only when solicited or someone's whining and that's when I get the "oh, I couldn't cut out <insert XXX food here>".

I had migraines 4 times a week and for awhile they thought I had a brain tumor.  The doctors put me on Topomax and Maxalt and sent me for blood tests and brain scans.  Know what it was?  I'm a Celiac and really needed to stop eating the crap I was eating.  I stopped... and so did the migraines.  I wish my doctors would have told me about potential inflammation in my body because not every body processes every food the same.  I also had a multitude of other symptoms that definitely should have helped them draw the conclusion of diet, but they didn't.  And I was young and trusted them.

My sister has 6-8 migraines a month.  She takes Maxalt like candy.  She refuses to try cutting out some basic things that may be affecting her.  Shoot, at this point I'd just get Botox if I were her.  My sister-in-law has Celiac's and Crohn's.  She also refuses to try cutting out basic things that are known to cause inflammation.  She instead hooks herself up to a Remicade machine once a month for her treatments.

But, no. I don't think that changing your diet is a cure-all.  I do think it's worth it to try.  If it doesn't work, try something else.  I'm all for #betterlivingthroughchemistry when it's necessary.  So, long story short... I don't get people who won't TRY.

People who suffer with migraines and/or stomach problems and are unwilling to alter their diets to try and help because it seems 'too extreme'... but are all too willing to pop pills like they're candy and hook themselves up to treatment machines.

What I don't get is people giving out all kinds of medical advice out to strangers who didn't ask for your opinion.
I happen to have both an auto-immune disease and frequent migraines and you won't believe the kind of crazy advice I get on an almost daily basis. Even when their intentions are good, I'd rather take the advice of doctors who've spent years studying medicine.
That said, I totally agree that popping pills, especially pain killers, should be avoided as much as possible.

( no offence meant, but there is no link between migraines and food at all. This has been proven wrong a long time ago. Migraine is a brain disease and symptoms start in your brain days before the patient gets a migraine. Because of these developments you get tired / stressed  / crave foods, but it's because of the migraine, not causing it.  Or in the words of my neurologist: "chocolate causes migraines like pickles cause pregnancy". )

My wife use to have severe migraines about once every month (or two)... tried a lot of different things to help lower the occurrences. Went to the neurologist and tried many things (hated imitrex) and finally decided to give up chocolate. The migraines pretty much stopped... maybe once a year now. Who knows if was the chocolate or not, but its been working for about 8 years now. She had a cupcake a couple years back that she thought didn't have chocolate in it, but did and got a migraine 2 days later. Call it coincidence, but we are both sold that giving up chocolate did help. Also stopped canned pumpkin as well - go figure. I also have perfected the non-chocolate chip cookie... so good with toffee and walnuts!

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2018, 01:36:43 PM »
Whether music is good or bad, it becomes annoying to hear the same thing again and again. I don't get why radio stations don't have longer playlists or more variety.
So there are two things happening here. One is that, according to some industry research, the average car trip is only about 15 minutes long. So after 5 songs and a commercial break most people are out of their cars at their destination. It's wasted variety to have a song cycle that's more than about 10 songs.
The other thing is that people's tolerance for variety in music is on a very broad spectrum: most people are fine with hearing the same song 2 or 3 times in 8 hours. I personally listen to the same song about 3 times in a listening session (just put 1 10 minute long song on repeat for my whole 40 minute car ride).

Starting drinking late in the evening, when you plan to drink/socialize for hours. Usual result is you lose the next day because of a hangover/sleeping in.

Why not start drinking at noon on a Sat? Drink and party/socialize all day with friends. Stop at 9 or 10, go home, get a full night's rest and sleep off the alcohol. Then you still get Sunday as a usable weekend day.

Amen.  It has to be a group effort though so the parties over at the same time.  I used to start drinking early, thinking I would then be asleep by 9 or 10.  The next morning I would be curious why I'm still tired if I went to sleep around 10...then one of my friends would say "we shut the bar down last night", after going to 3 other bars that I had no recollection of...#earlydrinkingblackout

I don't get: people who drink to the point of not remembering that night and being proud of it - and wanting to do it again.

Yes, this! As a non-drinker it's difficult for me to understand hard-drinking people. I get drinking a few glasses if you really like the taste ( I can't stand it). But the desire to get completely drunk is just extremely difficult for me to understand. Why does a grown adult want to degenerate into a barely conscious adult baby barely able to walk and talk? And do it again the next time - on purpose?

I am a drinker, and I don't get it either. I enjoy a glass or two of wine or a good cocktail (or good scotch or tequila), but getting brown-out drunk once or twice in college was more than enough for me to learn my limits and stick to them. And besides the real health and safety risks, it's expensive!
When I drink my personality changes. Not just my feelings about the moment, but my whole disposition toward my life and community. It's like there's an entire other person inside of me that I've only learned how to be when I'm intoxicated. And I like that guy, so I let him out from time to time to get a little air, stretch our legs.
That guy likes being me a bit less than I like being him, so once I'm in this altered head space I make an effort to be "safe" from any late night sobriety, getting just a bit more drunk than is functional, so that my vibe is not disrupted by any tendrils of clear thought while waiting on my next drink.

Perhaps I've merely done it wrong, but I can always tell immediately when cloth has been hang dried. It's tolerable when I'm using a towel (I'm already wet) but for anything that is supposed to go on my dry skin, I'd rather go to work stark naked than wear line-dried shirts and slacks.

The phrase dates to a claim that a photograph of kim kardashian was so popular that every major social media and news website froze, so quickly were people trying to download and share the image. For about half of all people using it, the internet was, literally, broken for about an hour.

Something "I don't get": older kids (and adults!) obsessed with Legos. Seems rather infantile in addition to the crazy high price and how uncomfortable they are to step on!!
Legos are 3-dimensional art for people who are bad at sculpting. They are recombinable, not sticky, and cheap. They are basically the perfect amusement for people who are interested in the concept of making quilts, but not interested in pushing out a few months years of crappy piece works to get their needle skills up to par.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2018, 02:37:30 PM »
The point, in a nutshell, is that it's illogical to both like dogs and to like pristine lawns. You cannot have a pristine lawn in a neighborhood with lots of dogs. It's a fantasy. It's the equivalent of deciding keep a dog indoors, and then getting pissed off every time you see hair on the floor and furniture. Well, actually your incompatible desires led you to this point of frustration. It was inevitable. What I don't get is why people don't realize they are imposing this agitation upon themselves.

The next closest parallel to this cognitive dissonance is wanting to have six-pack abs and also wanting to eat Hardees double-baconator-whatever burgers for dinner every night. Yes, the freedom to choose is hard for us grown-ups, but to blame others for the impossibility of one's ideals (i.e. dogs that don't shit or shed) is simply being unaccountable.

It isn't illogical to like or to want incompatible things. It's only illogical to expect that you can have both at the same time.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #285 on: May 30, 2018, 02:50:07 PM »

The phrase dates to a claim that a photograph of kim kardashian was so popular that every major social media and news website froze, so quickly were people trying to download and share the image. For about half of all people using it, the internet was, literally, broken for about an hour.

I know where the phrase comes from. I think it is stupid. Social media is not 'the internet', neither is news websites.  And the vast majority of things now listing as "breaking the internet" don't even get errors on all of those websites- the phrase is so overused from. 

People who use it tell me they have a vast misunderstanding of what the internet it and how vast its offerings are.

wxdevil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #286 on: May 30, 2018, 03:27:19 PM »
Pop music, and by extension, celebrity worship.

With all the amazing, creative art/music in the world, why would someone willingly listen to the likes of Katy Perry or most modern rap? I get having music to throw on in the background or let loose too, but having that be the extent of your musical catalog is pretty sad.

Celebrity worship is an order of magnitude worse. It's one thing to admire an artist or celebrity for achievements or lifestyle, but it's another to idolize a celebrity and border-line worship them. What does that say about your own life?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #287 on: May 30, 2018, 03:40:13 PM »

Love me some Legos.  I'm not obsessed by any stretch, but I threw a $100 car Lego set on my Amazon wish list and my mother in law bought it for me as a Christmas gift, because she didn't know what else to get.  It was perfect.  I had fun putting it together, and now it sits on display on my dresser.  And I love elbowing my 6y/o daughter out of the way so I can assemble the Legos she gets for gifts.  I love to give Legos as gifts, they're generally played with more and better built/designed than so much other of the plastic crap that passes for toys these days. 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #288 on: May 30, 2018, 04:24:23 PM »
Perhaps I've merely done it wrong, but I can always tell immediately when cloth has been hang dried. It's tolerable when I'm using a towel (I'm already wet) but for anything that is supposed to go on my dry skin, I'd rather go to work stark naked than wear line-dried shirts and slacks.

How does it feel different? I don't own a dryer, so I don't know. I have a very dry and sensitive skin as well, but I've never had any trouble wearing line dried clothes. I have used machine dried towels when staying over at other people's places and the only major difference I've noticed is that line dried towels smell like fresh air and machine dried towels don't.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #289 on: May 30, 2018, 04:26:26 PM »

I know where the phrase comes from. I think it is stupid. Social media is not 'the internet', neither is news websites. 

It's just a joke and not meant to be taken literally.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: May 30, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »

How does it feel different? I don't own a dryer, so I don't know. I have a very dry and sensitive skin as well, but I've never had any trouble wearing line dried clothes. I have used machine dried towels when staying over at other people's places and the only major difference I've noticed is that line dried towels smell like fresh air and machine dried towels don't.

I was going to ask the same thing, I have never owned a dryer, but I cant imagine it would feel that different

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: May 30, 2018, 04:32:26 PM »

I was going to ask the same thing, I have never owned a dryer, but I cant imagine it would feel that different

In my experience, it depends on the fabric (and this may be due to our somewhat hard water). Synthetics and wool are fine if they're fully line or flat dried, but cotton always feels stiff and crunchy unless it's tumbled in the dryer for at least a few minutes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #292 on: May 30, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »

In my experience, it depends on the fabric (and this may be due to our somewhat hard water). Synthetics and wool are fine if they're fully line or flat dried, but cotton always feels stiff and crunchy unless it's tumbled in the dryer for at least a few minutes.

If you take the cotton clothing off the drying rack and give them a couple snaps in the air you'll find that most of the stiff/crunchy feeling goes away.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #293 on: May 30, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »

I am a drinker, and I don't get it either. I enjoy a glass or two of wine or a good cocktail (or good scotch or tequila), but getting brown-out drunk once or twice in college was more than enough for me to learn my limits and stick to them. And besides the real health and safety risks, it's expensive!

My ex was an alcoholic and since I never really cared for drinking I especially avoided it because of him. I’ve been divorced now for 8 months. Just attended a party with some good friends. We started food and drinks at four and by eleven that night everyone was gone and we were the ones left cleaning up a bit. Asleep by midnight.

I had 4 margaritas and my first ever shot. My ex would flip shit if he saw the Facebook pics, alcoholics love other drinkers and he hated that I didn’t drink.  I’m 47 and never in my life have I had more than one drink.  This was over the whole day and I was just fine. Snacking on good food a lot too. A couple people got loud and silly but no one was wasted. It was nice to be around normal drinkers.  I can see why people like to do this. It was something I could never do because of who I was married too.

At most I felt one with my chair, so relaxed but not drunk at all. It was such a harmless good time and I sure wish my ex was able to do something like this but nope.  He would have carried on past  everyone then woken me up to tell me what a piece of crap I was, crying, puking, happy, furious etc.  then apologizing the next day for doing something he couldn’t remember but knew it wasn’t good. It’s tragic and so destructive. He never got help and I have no doubt it will be the death of him, I did everything I could to help him. When I discovered he was a cheater too i got out ASAP.  He’s out of my life and I don’t check on him.

I thought I’d hate alcohol forever and never touch it but now I drink Aldi wine and at this moment I’m having some special tropical drink they have, it’s really strong so I’ve got some ice with it. Still rarely drink anything but it doesn’t trigger me anymore.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2018, 08:19:13 PM »
I don't get adults who get sunburned...I mean a bad sunburn.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #295 on: May 31, 2018, 01:31:36 AM »

If you take the cotton clothing off the drying rack and give them a couple snaps in the air you'll find that most of the stiff/crunchy feeling goes away.

This slight stiffness sometimes happens when I dry indoors on the drying rack in the middle of winter, when laundry takes a bit longer to dry. It's because of lack of movement, which is probably why a short tumble in the dryer is one solution. It doesn't happen when you dry laundry outside on the line, because the clothes are blowing in the wind while drying.

Giving them a couple of snaps in the air is a way to get rid of the stiffness, ironing is another solution. But if your clothes get really stiff all the time, you're probably using way too much laundry detergent or your machine doesn't properly rinse clothing after washing. We have hard water too, so I often add a bit of vinegar.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2018, 06:33:19 AM »

This slight stiffness sometimes happens when I dry indoors on the drying rack in the middle of winter, when laundry takes a bit longer to dry. It's because of lack of movement, which is probably why a short tumble in the dryer is one solution. It doesn't happen when you dry laundry outside on the line, because the clothes are blowing in the wind while drying.

Giving them a couple of snaps in the air is a way to get rid of the stiffness, ironing is another solution. But if your clothes get really stiff all the time, you're probably using way too much laundry detergent or your machine doesn't properly rinse clothing after washing. We have hard water too, so I often add a bit of vinegar.

That’s exactly when the stiffness happens, so I think you’re right that it’s a lack of motion. I already use a bit less than the instructed amount of detergent and do sometimes add vinegar. :-) I’ll try a few good snaps next time I wash/air dry my cotton sweaters.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: May 31, 2018, 07:28:47 AM »
Rant on Putin that I was going to put at https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/modern-day-slavery/100/
This is the better thread.

I don't get, and despise the way Putin is glorified ( good or bad).

Yes Putin (Russia) has nuclear weapons to saber rattle and has a seat on the UN Security council.
But:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_%28United_Nations%29
Russia is 9th after Bangladesh:
Do you glorify/fear/know who is, the head of state of Bangladesh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29
Russia is 13th after Australia
Do you glorify/fear/know who is, the the head of state of Australia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29_per_capita
Russia is 70th after Equatorial Guinea (wholly crap, I was not expecting that).
Do you glorify/fear/know who is, the the head of state of Equatorial Guinea?

That said:  Putin is not someone I'd want to meet in a dark (or lit)alleyway, or across a negotiating table.
Putin is the obvious leader of Russia, able to swim in the dangerous currents of Russian politics (Po-210 anyone?)

When Putin passes from the scene (a "cold" like old Soviet leaders) the succession crisis should be interesting, as most high grade successors are likely "minimized".

MrSeven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #298 on: May 31, 2018, 09:13:21 AM »
watching TV commercials - with DVRs and Netflix, I don't understand why people still watch TV commercials

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #299 on: May 31, 2018, 09:40:46 AM »
With all the amazing, creative art/music in the world, why would someone willingly listen to the likes of Katy Perry or most modern rap? I get having music to throw on in the background or let loose too, but having that be the extent of your musical catalog is pretty sad.
Pop music is good for basically all the same reasons that a ham and cheese melt is good. It isn't particularly challenging, but it's optimized to hit an emotion/experience note that's pleasant even when it's predictable, the experience is clear even if you don't focus on it completely, and it's covered in melted cheddar.
(BTW, Katy Perry's best work is "driving on a highway with the windows slightly cracked while the sun is out and there is no traffic." and contemporary rap is some combination of "taking a shower when you have somewhere to be but you're not really in a hurry", "driving when there's traffic and you're less than 5 minutes late to work", "the five minutes immediately before stepping into a boxing ring", and "the kind of sex you have in the dark when the ac isn't working". It's a wide genre.)

Alright, this makes sense. I've always thought the secret sauce to hanging clothes was the sunlight, so I haven't bothered to hand clothes where there's adequate wind movement. At my last house, for example, the line was put in before the trees in the yard got large enough to form a windbreak, and I never realized the windbreak would be an issue.