Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204915 times)

Bro-mero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #200 on: May 22, 2018, 11:33:55 PM »
bad music blaring (why do so many people have deplorable taste in music?)
I don't get music at all. Or ipods. Who wants to listen to sounds all the time?? I don't like sounds for no reason.

I am quite the opposite. My favorite musical artists have had an incredible impact on my life. I couldn't imagine my life without music

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: May 22, 2018, 11:57:48 PM »
I don't get music at all. Or ipods. Who wants to listen to sounds all the time?? I don't like sounds for no reason.

Oh I love music, growing up playing the piano since I was 4.  Guess I just don't understand bad music, which seems very abundant.  I'm a music snob I guess.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2018, 12:30:53 AM »
In the military we're trained to back into every parking space, even if we have a trailer.

Was visiting a military installation in my area and drove my sedan behind a pickup truck  into a parking lot.  The pickup truck turned left into the first empty parking spot and I turned right into the first empty spot (which happened to be across from where the truck now was).   I'm not one to dawdle, so I got out of my sedan and started towards the building.

Found out later that driver was mad as hell at me because they were going to back into the spot I used.   I found it out from her husband, whom I knew.

That's how I learned about that custom. :)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2018, 12:43:40 AM »

On another parking-related note, I hate parallel parking and I've forgotten how to do it. I have a very small car and I don't really get how people with giant cars manage to park at all.

It's probably harder in England because you're steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car and you're also driving on the wrong side of the street. 

Yes! I once commented to my husband that although I'm not normally skilled at parallel parking I can perform the manoeuvre inch-perfect in my workplace car park, a single line of cars on the right hand side of the driveway. He pointed out the obvious explanation.

Other things I don't get. People evangelising about the merits of slimming diets on which they, personally, appear to be getting fatter and fatter. Reality check, folks. You're not weak, lazy or greedy, the diet sucks.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2018, 07:45:08 AM »

Oh I love music, growing up playing the piano since I was 4.  Guess I just don't understand bad music, which seems very abundant.  I'm a music snob I guess.

Nobody likes music they don't like.  ;-)

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2018, 08:18:00 AM »
religion
expensive jewelry/watches
trendy clothing
timeshares
people in general

Good god, timeshares!!  Yes, that is one I'll NEVER get!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2018, 08:18:56 AM »

I'm not sure that 'bad music' as such really exists.

As a rule, I don't like most modern R&B (classic R&B and funk are fantastic though), an awful lot of rap (although there are certainly some great artists in the field, the genre as a whole doesn't tend to excite me too much), modern country (which seems to be rock with an accent, and maybe a slide guitar in the background), classical, most big band style jazz.  That said, I can almost always find something in a recorded song to focus on that's interesting, well crafted, or just sounds good.  Maybe the drum loop, lyrical rhythm, or samples in a rap song . . . maybe there's a complex build up or nice harmony in a classical tune, maybe the vibrato in the R&B singer's voice is excellent.

Re-listening to things that I loved as a child can be quite eye opening.  Stuff that I didn't really get can open up into a whole new world.  Stuff that I was crazy about can turn out to be kinda hackneyed thirty years later.  There's no bad music, just music that does or doesn't work for you at a particular time in your life.  (This can be frustrating when it seems that few other people listen to the music that most excites you though.)

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
I don't get people who park "backwards". How is it better to back up into a tiny parking space than to back out into open space when you are ready to drive away. Do people need to justify their backup cameras? Are you Batman and need to drive away very quickly? Why?

It is much easier to back into a tight parking space than it is to pull in forward.  I can't explain the physics at the moment but it just is.  It also saves you from blindly backing out of a space when you leave after a big SUV or van parks next to you.  I'm always afraid to back over some little kid or something when my view is blocked on both sides and I'm trying to navigate my way out of a space backward.  When you back OUT of a space you need to pull your car like 2/3 or 3/4 of the way out before you have a full view of oncoming cars or pedestrians.  When you back into a space you have a good view of what is behind you because you just surveyed the area as you pulled forward past the space.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »

Well yes, but it seems to me that 99% of music is of bad quality, but I'm in bizzarro world where everyone loves this bad stuff.  It's sorta like everyone around me has decided on Wendy's for every meal.  To be fair, I think the same exists in art as well, it's just that people are afraid to call bad art for what it is.  We live in an age where it's looked down upon to judge.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:00:07 AM by dustinst22 »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2018, 09:46:18 AM »
I sort of get sports but I don't understand how people decide which team to like, especially when choosing a team that isn't the most local for them.  They all seem the same to me.

Oftentimes it's because they saw something at an impressionable age.  My dad grew up in NOLA, and due to the quirks of broadcasting (and before they had the Saints), they got all of the Green Bay games on TV.  The first game he remembers watching was the Ice Bowl and he got hooked, was a GB fan ever since. 

Same with me, I was a casual football fan, but my freshman year of college my roommate was a big Patriots fan, and we saw the Cinderella story of Drew Bledsoe going down and Tom Brady stepping up and taking the team to a super bowl win, and it stuck with me and I got bigger into Patriots football (or jumped on the bandwagon, if you like). 

My other sport, college basketball, growing up in CT EVERYONE is a college basketball fan because UCONN has always been so dominant (women) and in the 90s (men), plus Big East basketball is huge, almost like football to the SEC.  Then I ended up going to another Big East school, and obviously then had a connection and have been a huge fan/supporter of my alma mater's team ever since. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #210 on: May 23, 2018, 10:35:47 AM »
I sort of get sports but I don't understand how people decide which team to like, especially when choosing a team that isn't the most local for them.  They all seem the same to me.

Oftentimes it's because they saw something at an impressionable age.  My dad grew up in NOLA, and due to the quirks of broadcasting (and before they had the Saints), they got all of the Green Bay games on TV.  The first game he remembers watching was the Ice Bowl and he got hooked, was a GB fan ever since. 

Same with me, I was a casual football fan, but my freshman year of college my roommate was a big Patriots fan, and we saw the Cinderella story of Drew Bledsoe going down and Tom Brady stepping up and taking the team to a super bowl win, and it stuck with me and I got bigger into Patriots football (or jumped on the bandwagon, if you like). 

My other sport, college basketball, growing up in CT EVERYONE is a college basketball fan because UCONN has always been so dominant (women) and in the 90s (men), plus Big East basketball is huge, almost like football to the SEC.  Then I ended up going to another Big East school, and obviously then had a connection and have been a huge fan/supporter of my alma mater's team ever since.

My best friend lives in Sacramento, but likes the Dodgers and the Cowboys.  He has a very loose personal connection to Los Angeles, but absolutely nothing tying him to Texas. Maybe he just likes the color blue?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #211 on: May 23, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »

My best friend lives in Sacramento, but likes the Dodgers and the Cowboys.  He has a very loose personal connection to Los Angeles, but absolutely nothing tying him to Texas. Maybe he just likes the color blue?

Who knows?  There's also the key player thing; lots of Bulls fans because they liked Jordan, etc.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #212 on: May 23, 2018, 11:30:00 AM »

Well yes, but it seems to me that 99% of music is of bad quality, but I'm in bizzarro world where everyone loves this bad stuff.  It's sorta like everyone around me has decided on Wendy's for every meal.  To be fair, I think the same exists in art as well, it's just that people are afraid to call bad art for what it is.  We live in an age where it's looked down upon to judge.

It's for this reason that I'm happy I know nothing about music.  I have absolutely no ability to judge "good" from "bad".  I can only react to what I like.  I am certain that much/most/all? of what I like might be terrible, but I just don't care.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: May 23, 2018, 01:11:24 PM »

It's for this reason that I'm happy I know nothing about music.  I have absolutely no ability to judge "good" from "bad".  I can only react to what I like.  I am certain that much/most/all? of what I like might be terrible, but I just don't care.

I've been a choral musician for 25 years (including as a founding member of a chamber choir). Music, like all art, is subjective. I know what I like and don't like. Someone else's tastes may be completely opposite from mine. I may not understand WHY someone likes something that I despise, but the music isn't objectively bad just because I don't like it.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: May 23, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »
While I agree there is some subjectivity to music and art, there is absolutely a difference between good and bad art/music. The more extreme the difference, the easier it is to tell.  If I draw a little landscape, that art is not as good as an example by Monet.  Even if my mom looks at it and loves it as if it's the best thing ever, it isn’t better.  It is worse.  It’s OK for my mom to like it more; that is her subjective opinion.  But it would be silly of her to try to objectively claim it was better.  It isn’t.  That is a fact.   I don’t know how to draw.  Every technical aspect would be worse.  Every creative aspect would be worse.  Is my mom stupid for liking mine more?  No.  Do I look down on her?  No.  Absolutely not.  And if I write a piece of music with 3 notes, it isn't going to be better than a piece by Mozart.  There is absolutely an objectivity to art and music, and that's why great examples stand the test of time.  Quality art and quality music is recognized regardless of culture or background and is recognized through all ages and holds up regardless of current trends. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:30:48 PM by dustinst22 »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #215 on: May 23, 2018, 01:31:58 PM »
While I agree there is some subjectivity to music and art, there is absolutely a difference between good and bad art/music. The more extreme the difference, the easier it is to tell.  If I draw a little cartoon, that cartoon is not as good as a piece by Monet.  Even if my mom looks at it and loves it as if it's the best thing ever, it isn’t better.  It is worse.  It’s OK for my mom to like it more; that is her subjective opinion.  But it would be silly of her to try to objectively claim it was better.  It isn’t.  That is a fact.   I don’t know how to draw.  Every technical aspect would be worse.  Every creative aspect would be worse.  Is my mom stupid for liking mine more?  No.  Do I look down on her?  No.  Absolutely not.  And if I write a piece of music with 3 notes, it isn't going to be better than a piece by Mozart.  There is absolutely an objectivity to art and music, and that's why great examples stand the test of time.

Ah, I didn't know we were comparing kindergarten-level noodling on a piano to the Met opera. I assumed your 99% of "bad" music referred to the music available in concert halls and conservatories and on the radio.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: May 23, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »

Ah, I didn't know we were comparing kindergarten-level noodling on a piano to the Met opera. I assumed your 99% of "bad" music referred to the music available in concert halls and conservatories and on the radio.

That's why I said the more extreme the example, the easier it is to tell.  However, even with less drastic comparisons the same holds true.  This also applies to literature and other forms of art.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #217 on: May 23, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »

That's why I said the more extreme the example, the easier it is to tell.  However, even with less drastic comparisons the same holds true.  This also applies to literature and other forms of art.

Hmm. I know people who love Vaughn Williams' "A Sea Symphony" but hate Handel's "Messiah". Is one objectively better than the other? Why?

I also know people who love "Jane Eyre" but hate "Wuthering Heights". Again, is one objectively better? Why?

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: May 23, 2018, 01:37:32 PM »
I think the true test of art is how well it holds up over very long periods of time (as in centuries) and across all cultures.  Only over time can we really recognize something that's great in my opinion.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #219 on: May 23, 2018, 01:40:18 PM »
I think the true test of art is how well it holds up over very long periods of time (as in centuries) and across all cultures.  Only over time can we really recognize something that's great in my opinion.

YMMV, I guess. I'm content to enjoy non-greatness.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: May 23, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »
My only point is that it bugs me when people say “It’s all subjective.”  No, it isn’t.  Your enjoyment is, obviously.  But I’d like to think real quality art is a bit more than a fleeting “I like this so that means its good.”

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #221 on: May 23, 2018, 01:43:39 PM »
Punk music is objectively worse than opera in every measurable way.  The guitarist usually can't play more than a power chord, the singer can't hold a tune, the drummer (while fast) is usually unable to hold a steady beat, and the bass player is barely able to keep up plucking his single notes.  Yet, I'd rather listen to the Ramones than Pavarotti any day of the week. 

Cobain was a terrible guitarist with a mediocre voice . . . but the music he created is still popular, years after his death.  Bob Dylan was a terrible singer.  There's a tremendous amount of good music that's written with just three or four chords.

Technical skill (and virtuosity) is well and good, and can be objectively critiqued . . . but I'm not sure you can say that it makes music 'better'.  Is every classically trained pianist a better performer than every grizzled bluesman who can't even read music?

The more that you go back into the history of music, the more that you see that what we like is largely dependent upon where we grew up and what we're used to hearing.  Chinese opera sounds like cats being tortured to me.  Listening to a sitar is painful.  My background is western music, which follows different tonal rules.

Play someone from the 14th century a rock or blues guitar solo from today and they would likely hate it.  The common minor scale being played over a major progression (and especially bending up to the b5) that blues brought us just wouldn't make sense to their ears because they don't have the cultural context for it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:49:26 PM by GuitarStv »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: May 23, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »
My only point is that it bugs me when people say “It’s all subjective.”  No, it isn’t.  Your enjoyment is, obviously.  But I’d like to think real quality art is a bit more than a fleeting “I like this so that means its good.”

Okay. And it bothers me when people declare an extremely high percentage (e.g., 99%) of art to be "bad". Somehow that doesn't seem like an objective assessment.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »

Okay. And it bothers me when people declare an extremely high percentage (e.g., 99%) of art to be "bad". Somehow that doesn't seem like an objective assessment.

Well thats just my opinion.  I also think most books written are bad.  There is a lot of mediocrity in our world.  My high expectations allow me to enjoy something of real quality more.  By being discerning, I enjoy the good stuff more (just my thing).  Same goes for food.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #224 on: May 23, 2018, 01:48:46 PM »
So far this has consisted of the "Mad Men is better than Jersey Shore" type of comparisons.  What about things that some may consider to otherwise be on the same "level"?  Is Mozart better than Bach?  Who gets to decide?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2018, 01:51:06 PM »
So far this has consisted of the "Mad Men is better than Jersey Shore" type of comparisons.  What about things that some may consider to otherwise be on the same "level"?  Is Mozart better than Bach?  Who gets to decide?

Exactly my point, thank you!

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2018, 01:51:52 PM »

I don't think it's about who decides which is better.  One is objectively better quality.  Being able to recognize why something is better is the hard part.  In the case of Mozart/Bach, there is no need to compare them as they both produced extremely high quality (and different) works.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2018, 01:56:28 PM »
Bob Dylan was a terrible singer.

He still is, last time I checked ;-)

I can't help but think someone who thinks 99% of music is bad doesn't actually like music very much. :-/  Reminds me of my dad, who likes fairly specific categories of classical music and a few show tunes, and thinks most everything else is awful. (P.S. Get off his lawn!)

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2018, 01:58:26 PM »

I can't help but think someone who thinks 99% of music is bad doesn't actually like music very much.

Quite the contrary, I LOVE music!  It's a huge part of my life, I grew up in an extremely musical family (we all began learning to play the piano before we could walk).  I also love food, but not bad food which unfortunately there is also a lot of!

I guess I'm just weird, which is why I'm putting this on the "I don't get It" thread.  There are lots of things I don't get that everyone else seems to think is totally normal.  This all explains why I don't relate to most people.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 02:02:52 PM by dustinst22 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2018, 02:02:45 PM »
Can you tell me which food is objectively better, sweet or spicy?

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »

Haha, good one.  I'd say both can be high quality depending on what the food is and the skill level of the chef!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2018, 02:05:42 PM »

Haha, good one.  I'd say both can be high quality depending on what the food is and the skill level of the chef!

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: May 23, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
Grizzly.  Obviously.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: May 23, 2018, 02:14:06 PM »
Polar!

I can't help but think someone who thinks 99% of music is bad doesn't actually like music very much.

Quite the contrary, I LOVE music!  It's a huge part of my life, I grew up in an extremely musical family (we all began learning to play the piano before we could walk).  I also love food, but not bad food which unfortunately there is also a lot of!

I guess I'm just weird, which is why I'm putting this on the "I don't get It" thread.  There are lots of things I don't get that everyone else seems to think is totally normal.  This all explains why I don't relate to most people.

I guess I will put you down as my "I don't get it" then :-)  Maybe there is a better word for what you are, like a "music connoisseur." When I think of people who love something it tends to be a lot more all-encompassing. Like if someone says they love kids, and then says "but 99% of kids are bad" you would find that weird, wouldn't you? Or "I love hiking but 99% of forest trails objectively suck"?

I dunno. I guess we all have internal definitions of words that don't always match other people.

P.S. I think that is the first time in my life I ever spelled "connoisseur" right on my first try. Only took 40 years.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: May 23, 2018, 02:17:18 PM »
Like if someone says they love kids, and then says "but 99% of kids are bad" you would find that weird, wouldn't you?

I don't think that's a good example.  I use food as an example.  Is all food good?  Hell no!  Think of how discerning a chef is when it comes to food, only a very small percentage qualifies as really good. But that chef definitely loves food more than most people do!

Really good music (imo) is very difficult to create!  Which is why there is so much bad out there.  Again, just my opinion.

Or someone who enjoys watching high level sports.  They would probably like to watch the best compete rather than low level amateurs.

One of my hobbies is playing tournament-level competitive bridge.  When I was learning the game, I enjoyed playing at the local clubs.  Not so much anymore, because the level of the play is so bad its uninteresting and doesn't provide the intellectual stimulation I'm looking for in competing.  I think this is similar.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 02:23:54 PM by dustinst22 »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: May 23, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »
P.S. I think that is the first time in my life I ever spelled "connoisseur" right on my first try. Only took 40 years.

Congratulations! I'm still working on "maintenance". I'm up to about a 50% correct rate on the first try (for a word that I type out at least once per day). Topic: I don't get why I have so much trouble remembering the correct spelling of that word.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #236 on: May 23, 2018, 02:25:41 PM »
I don't think that's a good example.  I use food as an example.  Is all food good?  Hell no!  Think of how discerning a chef is when it comes to food, only a very small percentage qualifies as really good. But that chef definitely loves food more than most people do!

Or someone who enjoys watching high level sports.  They would probably like to watch the best compete rather than low level amateurs.

I think it's the exact opposite. I don't really like sports, and the only games I ever watch are the best of the best (Olympics, X Games, World Series, etc.) because I think they're more exciting than regular games. My co-worker who is a superfan of basketball loved watching the NBA, college ball, women's basketball, Olympic basketball, her kid's high school games, etc. etc. My brother, who loves baseball, will go to triple-A games and have a great time. And he'll watch his team play any chance he gets on TV or in person.

I love pizza, and can definitely appreciate the finer points (I've been to Italy and tried different places in Naples etc.) but I also just... love pizza, and will eat it on a weekly basis at a variety of local places. There's a difference between loving food and being a foodie. I bet most chefs will go out and eat greasy fried crap at 3AM after they get off their shift...

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: May 23, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »
I bet most chefs will go out and eat greasy fried crap at 3AM after they get off their shift...

Oh they will, but they will go for the good stuff!  I know a couple chefs that love street food in NYC for example.  But they are still discerning about what is good and what isn't.  There is absolutely a quality difference even when it comes to the greasy stuff!  In my opinion this ability to tell the difference in quality is what allows you to enjoy it more!   I'm not looking to just eat anything, I want the good stuff (whether it be street food, or a hole in the wall, Italian, Indian, Sushi, etc).  Bad music grates the ears in a way just like horrible food grates on the tongue.  There is a harmonization that good quality has, and when it isn't there it's like someone scratching a chalk board with their nails.  Just because I don't like Panda Express or KFC doesn't mean I don't love food lol.  And most of the music out there right now, in my opinion, is like KFC and Panda Express -- utter commercialized Justin Bieber type crap, created for the sole purpose of making $ instead of good art.  From my perspective, the person who doesn't love food is the one who will just eat anything.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 02:51:06 PM by dustinst22 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #238 on: May 23, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »
I bet most chefs will go out and eat greasy fried crap at 3AM after they get off their shift...

Oh they will, but they will go for the good stuff!  I know a couple chefs that love street food in NYC for example.  But they are still discerning about what is good and what isn't.  There is absolutely a quality difference even when it comes to the greasy stuff!  In my opinion this ability to tell the difference in quality is what allows you to enjoy it more!   I'm not looking to just eat anything, I want the good stuff (whether it be street food, or a hole in the wall, Italian, Indian, Sushi, etc).  Bad music grates the ears in a way just like horrible food grates on the tongue.  There is a harmonization that good quality has, and when it isn't there it's like someone scratching a chalk board with their nails.

It's just a difference in outlook maybe.

I've found though, that your mindset can powerfully change the way you experience the same thing.

While I'm not looking to eat crappy food, or listen to crappy music, or view crappy pieces of art.  Yet, I can get as much (or more) enjoyment from a grilled cheese sandwich as much as a truffle stuffed lobster.  I'd even argue that the former with friends will always be better than the latter alone, regardless of quality of preparation.  I try not to create expectations before an experience because they can sometimes get in the way of enjoyment of that experience.  You get too caught up thinking about what something could be and forget to be in the moment and enjoy it for what it is.

Back to your music example, if you're looking for a particular harmonization in music you're going to miss out on rhythmically complex music with little harmonization.  You're going to miss out on music that doesn't fit the western music theory that your ear is used to hearing.  That ends up with you as an ouroboros, constantly chasing your tail in a search for endless sameness . . . which seems kinda miserable to me.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: May 23, 2018, 02:53:21 PM »

Back to your music example, if you're looking for a particular harmonization in music you're going to miss out on rhythmically complex music with little harmonization.  You're going to miss out on music that doesn't fit the western music theory that your ear is used to hearing.  That ends up with you as an ouroboros, constantly chasing your tail in a search for endless sameness . . . which seems kinda miserable to me.

Definitely agree it's important to experience different types of music.  And art.  100%.  But even with different types of music/art I think there is a massive difference in quality.  Usually with time the good stuff stands.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: May 23, 2018, 03:20:27 PM »

Grizzly.  Obviously.

False, Black Bear

On the topic of music, I really do not understand why mumble rap is so poplular. You can barely understand any of the words they are saying and the ones you can understand is because they repeat it over and over again.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: May 23, 2018, 03:32:27 PM »

On the topic of music, I really do not understand why mumble rap is so poplular. You can barely understand any of the words they are saying and the ones you can understand is because they repeat it over and over again.

Can’t judge!

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #242 on: May 23, 2018, 03:49:14 PM »
Starting drinking late in the evening, when you plan to drink/socialize for hours. Usual result is you lose the next day because of a hangover/sleeping in.

Why not start drinking at noon on a Sat? Drink and party/socialize all day with friends. Stop at 9 or 10, go home, get a full night's rest and sleep off the alcohol. Then you still get Sunday as a usable weekend day.

Amen.  It has to be a group effort though so the parties over at the same time.  I used to start drinking early, thinking I would then be asleep by 9 or 10.  The next morning I would be curious why I'm still tired if I went to sleep around 10...then one of my friends would say "we shut the bar down last night", after going to 3 other bars that I had no recollection of...#earlydrinkingblackout

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #243 on: May 23, 2018, 04:16:41 PM »
Starting drinking late in the evening, when you plan to drink/socialize for hours. Usual result is you lose the next day because of a hangover/sleeping in.

Why not start drinking at noon on a Sat? Drink and party/socialize all day with friends. Stop at 9 or 10, go home, get a full night's rest and sleep off the alcohol. Then you still get Sunday as a usable weekend day.

Amen.  It has to be a group effort though so the parties over at the same time.  I used to start drinking early, thinking I would then be asleep by 9 or 10.  The next morning I would be curious why I'm still tired if I went to sleep around 10...then one of my friends would say "we shut the bar down last night", after going to 3 other bars that I had no recollection of...#earlydrinkingblackout

I don't get: people who drink to the point of not remembering that night and being proud of it - and wanting to do it again.

I was in my technical school with a guy who could only hold a conversation that consisted of how much he had to drink the night before.  It was obvious he never slept enough and would just blurt out in random conversation that he was going to get lit up again that night.  This was a Monday-Saturday thing.  I was 19, he was 21, and the 30 year old "old men" in our class finally had enough and asked if being drunk and lethargic was his ambition in life since it was all he did or talked about.  Thanksgiving weekend was spent out on the town which (surprise, surprise) he was drunk or asleep for most of it.  I had to drive his date home at the end of the evening because he passed out at 8pm at the party.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2018, 04:19:26 PM »
I don't get why just about every neighbor tells you how you should keep your yard/house...if you want to pay my mortgage I'll keep my yard/house any way you want.
I don't get how people can do the exact same routine every...single...day and be perfectly content.
I don't get being overweight and doing nothing about it. 
I don't get 98.32% of people as a whole, they're the absolute worst.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2018, 04:54:55 PM »

Yeah, most music is crap that I don't like to listen to, but sometimes you're subjected to it just by being out in public.  It seems like everyone likes to judge and speak out on things, and this forum is a good example.  I definitely don't agree with many opinions expressed here, just as with the greater public.  So I agree with some commenters that I don't get most people in general.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #246 on: May 24, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »
here's what i don't get.  not really $$ related, but neither are the 50 posts about art and music ;)

WHY do people who live in Houston have large, cold-weather, long-haired dogs??

your huskie is sweating his ass off and looks like he's going to keel over.  your tibetan mastiff is going to have a heat stroke.  your bernese mountain dog is not supposed to be at sea level in 90+ weather and that's not even counting the 90% humidity.  your dogs are giving me this look as if to say 'send me back to the land of my people!'

at the very least, shave your freaking dog so he can have a little relief.  would you wear a thick furry winter coat in Houston in June??

WTF!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:05:32 AM by MDfive21 »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #247 on: May 24, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »

I don't get: people who drink to the point of not remembering that night and being proud of it - and wanting to do it again.

Yes, this! As a non-drinker it's difficult for me to understand hard-drinking people. I get drinking a few glasses if you really like the taste ( I can't stand it). But the desire to get completely drunk is just extremely difficult for me to understand. Why does a grown adult want to degenerate into a barely conscious adult baby barely able to walk and talk? And do it again the next time - on purpose?

I especially don't get it when it happens at gigs and festivals. You pay €200 for a ticket to see your favourite bands, and €3,50 per drink, and you don't even remember it the next day? Might as well stay at home, play their CD and drink cheap booze. You could camp in the backyard on a half-inflated airbed to get the true festival experience.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #248 on: May 24, 2018, 11:16:25 AM »
Whether music is good or bad, it becomes annoying to hear the same thing again and again. I don't get why radio stations don't have longer playlists or more variety.

Also, why do baby clothes have pockets?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: May 24, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »

Yes, this! As a non-drinker it's difficult for me to understand hard-drinking people. I get drinking a few glasses if you really like the taste ( I can't stand it). But the desire to get completely drunk is just extremely difficult for me to understand. Why does a grown adult want to degenerate into a barely conscious adult baby barely able to walk and talk? And do it again the next time - on purpose?

I am a drinker, and I don't get it either. I enjoy a glass or two of wine or a good cocktail (or good scotch or tequila), but getting brown-out drunk once or twice in college was more than enough for me to learn my limits and stick to them. And besides the real health and safety risks, it's expensive!