Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204913 times)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2018, 10:06:12 AM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs
3) People who get pissed at the neighbors whose dogs contribute natural compost to their lawns EVEN THOUGH their own dogs can contribute natural compost there, as if it's a territorial thing or the shit is somehow different.
4) People described under #3 who encourage me to "adopt" a dog even as they make life miserable and degrading for dog owners.

I have a 10lb dog.  An 80lb dog's shit IS different.

Also, my dog shits only in the backyard (it's fenced, he doesn't go in the unfenced front).  I know to watch for shit there.  If someone else's dog shits in the front yard, I (and others in my household) am/are not expecting it. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2018, 10:32:09 AM »
Is it any different than watching a TV show really?
Like a cooking show when you have no intention of making the dish yourself?

I suppose with a cooking show you might pick up a more real-world applicable skill set in the process. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs
3) People who get pissed at the neighbors whose dogs contribute natural compost to their lawns EVEN THOUGH their own dogs can contribute natural compost there, as if it's a territorial thing or the shit is somehow different.
4) People described under #3 who encourage me to "adopt" a dog even as they make life miserable and degrading for dog owners.

Also, my dog shits only in the backyard (it's fenced, he doesn't go in the unfenced front).  I know to watch for shit there.  If someone else's dog shits in the front yard, I (and others in my household) am/are not expecting it.

Yep. I don't have dogs. Somehow, I ended up needing to scrape and clean a rather large quantity of fairly fresh dog shit off of my workboot last fall after working in my own yard.

I don't have dogs because I don't want to deal with dog shit in my yard (among other reasons). I certainly don't want to deal with shit from other peoples' dogs.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »
Football...

As in, the game itself? Or the peculiar phenomenon of people gluing themselves to TV sets every fall weekend (the best time of year to be outdoors) to watch the game?

Because the game -- man, I tell you, I loved it more than anything when I was playing it in my youth. It's hard to describe that feeling of walking out onto the field under the lights on a Friday night with everyone cheering, or the high of dominating your opponent in a physical contest of wills, of smashing somebody in the mouth to make that touchdown-saving tackle. It was the greatest feeling in my life, seriously. And I learned a lot about fighting through adversity, teamwork, hard work, showing up on time, commitment, etc, etc. Life lessons that still impact me to this day.

Of course, I get that in today's world with what we now know about CTE and it's lasting impacts, it's hard to feel the same way about the game. I probably wouldn't let my kids play if I had kids, and that's hard for me to say, because there was a time in my life when I dreamed of having kids who would be gridiron warriors I could cheer on from the sidelines.

Anyone else here have the same experience?

Why Americans love football vs other sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIkqNiBASfI

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2018, 11:54:09 AM »
Football...

As in, the game itself? Or the peculiar phenomenon of people gluing themselves to TV sets every fall weekend (the best time of year to be outdoors) to watch the game?

Because the game -- man, I tell you, I loved it more than anything when I was playing it in my youth. It's hard to describe that feeling of walking out onto the field under the lights on a Friday night with everyone cheering, or the high of dominating your opponent in a physical contest of wills, of smashing somebody in the mouth to make that touchdown-saving tackle. It was the greatest feeling in my life, seriously. And I learned a lot about fighting through adversity, teamwork, hard work, showing up on time, commitment, etc, etc. Life lessons that still impact me to this day.

Of course, I get that in today's world with what we now know about CTE and it's lasting impacts, it's hard to feel the same way about the game. I probably wouldn't let my kids play if I had kids, and that's hard for me to say, because there was a time in my life when I dreamed of having kids who would be gridiron warriors I could cheer on from the sidelines.

Anyone else here have the same experience?

I get the appeal of the game itself. I typically enjoy watching it. There's a nice combination of strategy, athleticism, and teamwork. I'm sure it's fun to play too (when you aren't getting injured and CTE). What I don't get is the ridiculous amounts of time and resources that are devoted to the game. The gigantic stadiums, the numerous staff, the paraphernalia, the time spent traveling to games and watching games, etc. Everything is excessive for what boils down to just another competitive sport.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs

Yep. I don't have dogs. Somehow, I ended up needing to scrape and clean a rather large quantity of fairly fresh dog shit off of my workboot last fall after working in my own yard.

I don't have dogs because I don't want to deal with dog shit in my yard (among other reasons). I certainly don't want to deal with shit from other peoples' dogs.

I've personally witnessed squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, skunks, deer, a black bear, and a fox defecate in yards I've lived at over the years.  You might be placing unwarranted blame.  :P

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs

I've personally witnessed squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, skunks, deer, a black bear, and a fox defecate in yards I've lived at over the years.  You might be placing unwarranted blame.  :P

I'm sure it's possible, although the amount and consistency of the shit ruled out the first four, I've never seen a deer or fox in our inner-ring suburban neighborhood (at least not during the last 15 years that we've lived here), and we don't have bears in the area. We do, however, have some neighbors who fail to properly secure their dogs and others who don't clean up droppings on a regular basis. Occam's razor, although I suppose it could also have been cats or other humans.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs

The interesting thing about lawns is that they compel us to blame other people and animals for the poop rather than the presence of the lawn itself. I.e. we tend to neglect that another solution to the problem (and many other problems) is to not have a lawn, or at least not expect them to be sterile play surfaces and have our day ruined when reality intrudes upon this illusion. Will we end up shaking our fists in the air at the birds dropping poop on our grass? Earthworms are shitting all over the place just beneath the surface. Topsoil itself is composed of decomposing organic matter, including poop. Even blue ribbon lawns are full of bacteria, fungi, molds, alge, viruses, and parasites for various species.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2018, 12:38:01 PM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs

The interesting thing about lawns is that they compel us to blame other people and animals for the poop rather than the presence of the lawn itself. I.e. we tend to neglect that another solution to the problem (and many other problems) is to not have a lawn, or at least not expect them to be sterile play surfaces and have our day ruined when reality intrudes upon this illusion. Will we end up shaking our fists in the air at the birds dropping poop on our grass? Earthworms are shitting all over the place just beneath the surface. Topsoil itself is composed of decomposing organic matter, including poop. Even blue ribbon lawns are full of bacteria, fungi, molds, alge, viruses, and parasites for various species.

I feel like this is being deliberately obtuse. I live in a community where people are expected to control and clean up after their pets (i.e., the animals for which they have consciously assumed responsibility, not the natural fauna) per city ordinances. If one doesn't want to do that, perhaps one should live elsewhere.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2018, 12:41:05 PM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs

The issue with dog poop for me isn't seeing dog poop. It's the people being so inconsiderate that they didn't pick it up when they saw their dog do it. I have a dog. I love dogs. I don't like people who don't clean up their shit. I see it as no different than tossing a cigarette butt or garbage on the ground. Be better than that people, for Christ sakes!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2018, 12:55:23 PM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs

Which one of those animals takes a dump the size of a large breed dog?  Frankly, the guy up the street with the little schnauzer can let it crap in my yard, I don't really care.  The guy across the street with the husky or the guy down the block with the giant whatever it is?  Please no. 

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »
Re gaming -

There are some VERY funny videos made by women who got fed up with their gamer boyfriends.

In the search area, type Girlfriend smashes Xbox and you'll see lots.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs

Which one of those animals takes a dump the size of a large breed dog?  Frankly, the guy up the street with the little schnauzer can let it crap in my yard, I don't really care.  The guy across the street with the husky or the guy down the block with the giant whatever it is?  Please no.

I remember the bear poop took several shovels to clear.  :P

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2018, 02:16:43 PM »
1) Lawns
2) Dogs

I feel like this is being deliberately obtuse. I live in a community where people are expected to control and clean up after their pets (i.e., the animals for which they have consciously assumed responsibility, not the natural fauna) per city ordinances. If one doesn't want to do that, perhaps one should live elsewhere.

I agree.  I'm not getting some of these people who aren't getting.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2018, 02:41:43 PM »
This thread has turned to shit. 

Come on folks, you've got to have more important things to bitch about than dog poo.  This is like a Southpark episode. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2018, 08:51:05 PM »
Lol, we replaced our lawn with slate chips. Dogs don't poop there any more and our Redwood trees don't kill the grass any more either, for the win. Here's what I don't get: our house is surrounded by Redwoods. Therefore, we are not good candidates for solar technology as it currently exists. WHY do the phone calls from people trying to sell us solar never stop?

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »
Lol, we replaced our lawn with slate chips. Dogs don't poop there any more and our Redwood trees don't kill the grass any more either, for the win. Here's what I don't get: our house is surrounded by Redwoods. Therefore, we are not good candidates for solar technology as it currently exists. WHY do the phone calls from people trying to sell us solar never stop?

Wonder what happens in this case to Californians building new buildings where it's now required they install solar.  What if it doesn't make sense in their particular location?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2018, 09:27:39 PM »

Wonder what happens in this case to Californians building new buildings where it's now required they install solar.  What if it doesn't make sense in their particular location?
Best guess: New Builds = No Trees Yet. Also, for scratch built projects, they might pay a little more attention to site topography and  building orientation. When it comes to CA building codes, particularly municipal building codes, sense has nothing to do with it. For more on this topic, go see my friend Johnny over at Granola Shotgun. Love that guy! Fair warning: it's a helluva rabbit hole!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »
Waiters who don't give you all of your change, assuming that you don't care about the coins.  It would be fine if they rounded the bill down in the customers' favor, but they usually round the bill up. 

Also, when did the response to "thank you" become "no problem"?  When I thank a waiter I'd like a "you're welcome" or "it's my pleasure" in reply.  Maybe I'm getting old...

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »
Waiters who don't give you all of your change, assuming that you don't care about the coins.  It would be fine if they rounded the bill down in the customers' favor, but they usually round the bill up. 

Also, when did the response to "thank you" become "no problem"?  When I thank a waiter I'd like a "you're welcome" or "it's my pleasure" in reply.  Maybe I'm getting old...

Another is, "you bet."  I find myself using "no problem" and "you bet" sometimes.  I don't think about it - it's automatic.

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2018, 07:26:41 PM »
I don't get people who park "backwards". How is it better to back up into a tiny parking space than to back out into open space when you are ready to drive away. Do people need to justify their backup cameras? Are you Batman and need to drive away very quickly? Why?

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2018, 09:08:16 PM »
I don't get people who park "backwards". How is it better to back up into a tiny parking space than to back out into open space when you are ready to drive away. Do people need to justify their backup cameras? Are you Batman and need to drive away very quickly? Why?

I don't think it's always better...but I do it sometimes because I feel like I'm more mentally aware of my surroundings when I back into a parking spot than when I'm backing out into the aisle when I'm leaving. Not sure which is statistically better in terms of fewer overall accidents but at minimum it's the same amount of effort/damage done. At best it's same effort and maybe slight safer?

It could also be a psychological thing of wanting to tackle a problem as soon as it arrives rather than waiting until you have to.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2018, 10:20:38 PM »

I don't think it's always better...but I do it sometimes because I feel like I'm more mentally aware of my surroundings when I back into a parking spot than when I'm backing out into the aisle when I'm leaving. Not sure which is statistically better in terms of fewer overall accidents but at minimum it's the same amount of effort/damage done. At best it's same effort and maybe slight safer?

It could also be a psychological thing of wanting to tackle a problem as soon as it arrives rather than waiting until you have to.

Yeah, it's a situational awareness thing. When backing into a spot you only have to worry about stationary cars. When backing out it may be difficult to see the other cars moving through the parking lot.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2018, 10:20:51 PM »

I see this a lot with pickup trucks.  I think it has something to do with how the tires are spread out in relation to the rest of the vehicle. it affects the truck's turning ability in such a way that it's easier to back up into a spot and drive out than parking "normally."

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2018, 06:46:53 AM »

I see this a lot with pickup trucks.  I think it has something to do with how the tires are spread out in relation to the rest of the vehicle. it affects the truck's turning ability in such a way that it's easier to back up into a spot and drive out than parking "normally."

I think it's a show-off thing. I ask to get out first if I am the passenger and the driver wants to park backwards because it gives me motion sickness.

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2018, 07:40:30 AM »

Yeah, it's a situational awareness thing. When backing into a spot you only have to worry about stationary cars. When backing out it may be difficult to see the other cars moving through the parking lot.

This, plus it can also be a habit.  In some of the areas where I worked, companies would train/require guys driving the company trucks to back into the spots, and so they just got used to doing it.  They were working long hours, so anything to make things safer at the end was a good idea.  Also, I heard that it's easier and faster to GTFO if something goes bad. (Oilfields)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2018, 09:01:08 AM »

This is exactly the reason I always back in instead of out. Unless I can drive through instead.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2018, 10:06:21 AM »

This, plus it can also be a habit.  In some of the areas where I worked, companies would train/require guys driving the company trucks to back into the spots, and so they just got used to doing it.  They were working long hours, so anything to make things safer at the end was a good idea.  Also, I heard that it's easier and faster to GTFO if something goes bad. (Oilfields)

In the military we're trained to back into every parking space, even if we have a trailer.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2018, 10:36:13 AM »

This is exactly the reason I always back in instead of out. Unless I can drive through instead.

Yes.  People drive like complete morons in parking lots.  They don't pay attention, they cut across lanes, and they speed. Twice I have seen people drive right over pedestrians in parking lots.  So it is a lot easier to see clearly what is happening with said morons when you back into a slot, and pull out of a slot.  Or, as you said, drive through to an opposite slot, which is my preference.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »
I like to drive in and back out of parking spaces, but to be fair the car parks I usually frequent aren't really that busy. And if I go to a bigger car park I find a space that I can drive right through. Definitely for me I'd worry far more about backing into the car in the next parking space than I would about failing to notice a car manoeuvring in a nearby section of the car park.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2018, 06:50:27 PM »
Backing into the place you park is almost always safer.  There's no through traffic to watch out for in the parking spot.

(Of course, the ideal way to park is to drive through a double empty spot.  No backing up involved at all coming or going.)

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2018, 01:40:15 AM »
Well, the places where I don't look for a spot I can drive through are generally places such as my local village hall, where there actually is no traffic unless you happen to be there at the exact moment one of the classes that takes place there lets out.

On another parking-related note, I hate parallel parking and I've forgotten how to do it. I have a very small car and I don't really get how people with giant cars manage to park at all.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: May 21, 2018, 04:58:45 AM »

On another parking-related note, I hate parallel parking and I've forgotten how to do it. I have a very small car and I don't really get how people with giant cars manage to park at all.

It's probably harder in England because you're steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car and you're also driving on the wrong side of the street.  Oh, and you know that all the cameras are watching you screw it up.  ;) 

I find parallel parking is a bit easier after a few beers, but they don't want us drinking and driving these days.  Damned government takes the fun out'a everything. 

goatmom

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2018, 05:19:43 AM »
I don't get gambling.  I've been to Vegas and Atlantic City.  I find it incredibly boring and icky at the same time.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2018, 02:24:33 PM »

About 40 years ago, near as I can recall.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »

I always say "you're welcome" or "my pleasure", especially when i was a waitress.  My customer service training that me that "no problem" was not a good way to respond. I don't recall the reasoning.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: May 21, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »

I always say "you're welcome" or "my pleasure", especially when i was a waitress.  My customer service training that me that "no problem" was not a good way to respond. I don't recall the reasoning.

I've heard it's because it uses negative words. Seems plausible. I still prefer to use "no problem" at work or with people I'm more acquainted with.

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: May 21, 2018, 03:12:20 PM »
Starting drinking late in the evening, when you plan to drink/socialize for hours. Usual result is you lose the next day because of a hangover/sleeping in.

Why not start drinking at noon on a Sat? Drink and party/socialize all day with friends. Stop at 9 or 10, go home, get a full night's rest and sleep off the alcohol. Then you still get Sunday as a usable weekend day.

Yes 100X!  I remember in college having nothing to do after 3pm on Friday and people saying lets meetup to pregame at 8pm before going to a party at 9.  Why not start drinking at 3pm, party from 4-9:30, and be home in bed sleeping at 10pm (or having sex, since that was always the goal if rarely achieved).

Even now someone will ask me if I want to go see a band. 
I'm like yeah sounds good what time to they play? 
9pm on Tuesday.
So I'm supposed to dick around for 3 hrs waiting until 9, stay up until 12pm and be miserable the next day just so some people can feel "cool"?  No one lives at home anymore with a curfew, staying out late is not rebellious its just dumb. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:16:55 PM by Ryancanderson23 »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: May 21, 2018, 03:18:51 PM »

I was trained to say "at your service" (well, the literal translation of that in my language).  "No problem" is not a good way to respond, because it is obviously no problem for you to help someone when it's your job that you get paid to do. "No problem" sounds like you're doing someone a favour instead of doing your duty.

No problem has taken over in this country too. I'm not really bothered by that particular sentence, but I don't get why so many customer service people are so overly friendly and informal. I always prefer to keep a polite distance when working with clients, both now and back in my customer service days.

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #189 on: May 21, 2018, 03:22:59 PM »
Backing into the place you park is almost always safer.  There's no through traffic to watch out for in the parking spot.

(Of course, the ideal way to park is to drive through a double empty spot.  No backing up involved at all coming or going.)

This is why I always back in as well. It is the same amount of effort but much safer.

When you back in you have driven past the spot and know for sure that there is nothing there. When you pull out you do not need to go very far to see down the lane to see any speeding cars. Plus people (especially children) are obvious in front of you and you will not run them over. Much, much safer for everyone!

Here is an article on the topic: https://www.vox.com/2016/8/1/11926596/safer-back-into-parking-spaces
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:25:42 PM by Xlar »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: May 21, 2018, 04:18:02 PM »
Starting drinking late in the evening, when you plan to drink/socialize for hours. Usual result is you lose the next day because of a hangover/sleeping in.

Why not start drinking at noon on a Sat? Drink and party/socialize all day with friends. Stop at 9 or 10, go home, get a full night's rest and sleep off the alcohol. Then you still get Sunday as a usable weekend day.

Yes 100X!  I remember in college having nothing to do after 3pm on Friday and people saying lets meetup to pregame at 8pm before going to a party at 9.  Why not start drinking at 3pm, party from 4-9:30, and be home in bed sleeping at 10pm (or having sex, since that was always the goal if rarely achieved).

Even now someone will ask me if I want to go see a band. 
I'm like yeah sounds good what time to they play? 
9pm on Tuesday.
So I'm supposed to dick around for 3 hrs waiting until 9, stay up until 12pm and be miserable the next day just so some people can feel "cool"?  No one lives at home anymore with a curfew, staying out late is not rebellious its just dumb.

My next door neighbors made it a point to do their heavy drinking on the evening prior to a federal holiday so they could spend their paid day off recovering rather than go back to work with a hangover.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: May 21, 2018, 04:43:58 PM »

Yes, I have nearly been hit by a few of those idiots coming through a parking spot from the next row over into the spot I'm just turning into that is in MY row of traffic.  I don't get these people.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2018, 06:51:30 PM »

(Of course, the ideal way to park is to drive through a double empty spot.
No backing up involved at all coming or going.)

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what you mean here. The two bolded sentences seem to contradict each other to me.

Aside from that, if someone wants to back into a spot, fine...but don't make me wait to get by while it takes you 8 attempts to get it right. (Not you personally, GuitarStv.)

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what you mean here. The two bolded sentences seem to contradict each other to me.

Aside from that, if someone wants to back into a spot, fine...but don't make me wait to get by while it takes you 8 attempts to get it right. (Not you personally, GuitarStv.)

I thought he meant...when someone is facing forward in a parking space (parked normally), when they exit the space they will need to back out semi-blindly into a thru-traffic lane where there are potential hazards such as moving vehicles (also pedestrians/shopping carts).  But if that person instead backs into the space, when he backs into that stall, the stall itself has no traffic he needs to be concerned with (hence, "There's no through traffic to watch out for in the parking spot.")

Ideally, rather than having to back into a parking space, it is far easier if you can simply pull forward into that space from the space that is normally accessed from the next lane over (hence, "double-empty spot").  If that's still not clear, imagine pulling forward into a parking space normally, but then you notice the one immediately in front of you is also empty, so you simply pull forward another 20ft or so into that space instead, so now you are facing forward such that when you exit, you can pull out forward instead of backward.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:31:31 PM by Sojourner »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2018, 08:01:30 PM »

That's the thing.  They are contradictory because they are referring to two different things.  If you back into a parking spot,  and stop to park, you're not driving through it.  If you pull into a parking spot and continue to drive through to the parking spot facing it, then you are facing out of the facing parking spot, which is what I was referring to in my last post.  You wouldn't be able to do that if there were cement dividers between the rows, but we don't have those where I work, so I've had some near accidents due to those people driving through parking spots into parking spots a row over.

Edit:  Sojourner was posting the same time I was - describes it well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:04:17 PM by DreamFIRE »

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2018, 09:01:41 PM »

I thought he meant...when someone is facing forward in a parking space (parked normally), when they exit the space they will need to back out semi-blindly into a thru-traffic lane where there are potential hazards such as moving vehicles (also pedestrians/shopping carts).  But if that person instead backs into the space, when he backs into that stall, the stall itself has no traffic he needs to be concerned with (hence, "There's no through traffic to watch out for in the parking spot.")

Ideally, rather than having to back into a parking space, it is far easier if you can simply pull forward into that space from the space that is normally accessed from the next lane over (hence, "double-empty spot").  If that's still not clear, imagine pulling forward into a parking space normally, but then you notice the one immediately in front of you is also empty, so you simply pull forward another 20ft or so into that space instead, so now you are facing forward such that when you exit, you can pull out forward instead of backward.

Yes, that explanation makes sense. I was thinking of the "parking" aspect and not the "pulling out to leave" aspect, so the two statements, in that context, were contradictory to me (because the "pulling through to the forward spot" creates "through traffic" and precludes someone else from backing into same spot).

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2018, 11:42:33 PM »
religion
bad music blaring (why do so many people have deplorable taste in music?)
expensive jewelry/watches
trendy clothing
timeshares
people in general
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:48:34 PM by dustinst22 »

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2018, 02:20:36 PM »
bad music blaring (why do so many people have deplorable taste in music?)
I don't get music at all. Or ipods. Who wants to listen to sounds all the time?? I don't like sounds for no reason.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2018, 09:56:41 PM »
I sort of get sports but I don't understand how people decide which team to like, especially when choosing a team that isn't the most local for them.  They all seem the same to me.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2018, 10:09:49 PM »
I sort of get sports but I don't understand how people decide which team to like, especially when choosing a team that isn't the most local for them.  They all seem the same to me.

I chose my team at age 7 based on the fact they had the colour purple as a team colour. My mum and dad both wanted me to choose their team as mine, and up until about 7 I just supported their teams.