Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204903 times)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »
People who suffer with migraines and/or stomach problems and are unwilling to alter their diets to try and help because it seems 'too extreme'... but are all too willing to pop pills like they're candy and hook themselves up to treatment machines.

No kidding; I altered my diet (MSG was my biggest trigger, though it took awhile to identify) and went from having 30+ bad migraines a year to maybe 3 or 4 moderate ones. Sure, it won't work for some people if their migraines are triggered by something else, but isn't it at least worth trying to change your diet/keeping a food diary as opposed to spending $$$ on pills right off the bat? I was willing to try almost anything before resorting to pills and I'm so happy that I was able to mostly alleviate mine with dietary changes. I still get a few due to weather changes or hormones, but eliminating 90% of them was well worth saying no to Chick Fil A, for instance.

My rant: I don't get people hiking in the wilderness blaring music. If you want to listen to music, fine, wear a fucking earbud. If I'm 10,000 feet up a mountain backpacking (yesterday, in fact) I don't want to hear your music. I want to be in freaking nature.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2018, 10:15:25 AM »
Holidays.  Mostly they're just deadlines and excuses for excess.  My most tolerable holiday is probably Halloween, as it seems very socially acceptable to be anywhere from the 0% to 100% spectrum in participating, it has an emphasis on creativity, and zero gift expectations, though it does still encourage gluttony quite a bit.

Sports.  I can understand the enjoyment of playing sports, or watching sports in the general sense.  It can be enjoyable to watch professionals of any kind demonstrate their prowess.  It's not my thing, fine.  But the sort of ethos that leads to die-hard fans of a given team and the Super Bowl being essentially a national holiday is baffling to me.

Consuming significant personal resources to impress people.  I know a guy I work with (NOT a "car guy") that bought a new Dodge Challenger to impress his step-father that he doesn't like.  This guy also has a literal leaky roof in his house that is "too expensive" to fix.  He and his house always smell like a swamp.

Similar: significant disparity on spending relative to the value something provides you.  My grandpa that sends 3-4 emails a week, reads the news, and does literally nothing else with his computer last year bought a $2000 Dell gaming computer "because [he] wanted a good one."  He plugs it into his tiny shitty 2004-era LCD monitor that he likes because it has built-in speakers that barely get used unless someone sends him a video.

I'm sure I've got more...

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2018, 10:27:51 AM »
The majority of things associated with holidays, with the exception of getting together with people you love.

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving for this reason - you share a lovely meal with loved ones. 

The majority of the other crap - Christmas decorations, gifts, cards, etc. - that is more stress than anything else. Some of it is downright ridiculous IMO.  My kids are 1/16th Irish.  I'm not making them green frosting cupcakes for St. Patrick's day with little gold chocolates.  I don't want insanely overpriced flowers for Valentine's Day.  I don't even particularly like birthday cake.  Why does have it be cake?  Can't it be a dessert I enjoy more like brownies or pie?  (Yes I know it can, but I share a birthday party with my mom and she wants cake so I do cake).

I agree with this. We celebrate Christmas the same way we do Thanksgiving - Family and amazing food, sharing stories and experiences. I havent had a Christmas tree (fire hazard) in years and I haven't purchased "Christmas presents" in just as long when I broke away from consumerism.

Last Christmas we bought a small evergreen in a pot at the local grocery store.
Planted it in the garden last weekend.
I think that is a win-win?

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2018, 11:17:46 AM »
People who do not plan out anything in advance. Even the simple things like "what is the most efficient, easiest way to get from my home to the grocery store", and instead take some bizarre route involving multiple left turns, none of which happen at a traffic light, construction zones, etc...

Just take a moment before you back out of your driveway to think about how to get where you are going.

People who hate sports and make comments like "its just men playing with their balls", as if their preferred activities are altruistic and universally loved. Don't like sports, cool, but no need to attack other people just because you don't understand something. I would never want to run a marathon or go bungee jumping or sew my own clothes, but there is no need for me to mercilessly mock the people who do.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2018, 11:46:37 AM »
People who hate sports and make comments like "its just men playing with their balls", as if their preferred activities are altruistic and universally loved. Don't like sports, cool, but no need to attack other people just because you don't understand something. I would never want to run a marathon or go bungee jumping or sew my own clothes, but there is no need for me to mercilessly mock the people who do.

If you go back and read my comments in full, with attention, you'll find my objections in that particular section are having our community taxed for $30,000,000 for that "privilege" (a sum that represents EIGHTEEN PERCENT OF OUR CITY'S ANNUAL GROSS REVENUE), forcing other people to subsidize their enjoyment, and ludicrously thinking they are real men because their team won.   

I have no problem with people who just enjoy watching or playing sports.  Hope they have a wonderful time doing so.   I don't even mind paying taxes for modest facilities in city parks so citizens have a place to play one another.   That's a great use of tax dollars.   

If someone put forward a case study in which they spent EIGHTEEN PERCENT of their gross income on JUST ONE OF MANY sports activities, and yet had serious financial issues in their life and claimed they couldn't afford to deal with the others, we would all be merciless in our disdain of their choices.    That's where I am on my city's boondoggle of a stadium.
And, having seen this scenario play out over and over and over and over all across my country the last 5 decades, I'm just over being polite about it.   It's ludicrous that the highest paid state officials in most states are coaches.   Simply ludicrous.  So, yes, we going millions of dollars into debt so people can watch men play with their balls in public.   

People who enjoy the tax dollars squandered on the sports industrial complex aren't used to being held accountable for the foolishness of that use of our scarce public resources.   I think they should be.   Given that there's always someone's brother-in-law who'll make a killing on the land deal for a stadium, and on another deal to build the stadium, and by the news media who get income from advertising and covering these activities, and the politicians who will get votes for providing these facilities, surely my little voice of scorn can be ignored by sports enthusiasts.  It will certainly be ignored by anyone in power.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2018, 12:03:10 PM »
I don't get how people are happy to do the same thing all day all the time. Not just with jobs, but with hobbies too - I know a fair few people who seem to spend 80% at least of their free time on THE SAME HOBBY EVERY DAY. Like, it's probably good that this type of person exists. They're of course at liberty to do whatever they want with their time. But, it's just: how are they not really bored?

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2018, 12:11:33 PM »
I don't get why people read rant posts and then find themselves offended at rants.  Like, it's just your opinion, man.

I don't get why people frequent a message board that discusses something in particular and then 1.doesn't believe it works and says that loudly, every post  2. Finds many reasons why it doesn't work for them, for the majority, whatever, and then disparage those who do subscribe to the method/belief. I've seen this on multiple boards, not just this board in particular. 

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »
I don't get how people are happy to do the same thing all day all the time. Not just with jobs, but with hobbies too - I know a fair few people who seem to spend 80% at least of their free time on THE SAME HOBBY EVERY DAY. Like, it's probably good that this type of person exists. They're of course at liberty to do whatever they want with their time. But, it's just: how are they not really bored?

I think it's because practicing for thousands of hours is how you get really good at something.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »
Boyfriend doesn't seem proud of not being a reader, he's just matter of fact about it.... but I really just don't understand not liking reading books. He doesn't have a disability that makes reading difficult. He just doesn't enjoy it - which, whatever, we're all different, but sometimes I find myself really wanting to understand what he finds so distasteful about reading books, you know?

Are you sure he can read?  Totally not meant to be insulting, I was just listening to a story the other day told by a woman who, something like 5 years into her relationship with a guy finally learned he was illiterate.  She couldn't believe how she could miss something like that that would seem like it would be obvious.  She spent a lot of time trying to reconstruct how she didn't notice.  One thing she related was that when she wrote poetry and wanted him to read it, he would ask her to read it to him because he liked hearing her works in her own voice.  But it was still a mystery in a thousand little ways that she could have possibly not found out.  So yeah, it's terribly unlikely you've missed this, but I just don't get it with her story.  Shocking.

Other things I don't get:  also running.  I only do that when someone's chasing me and I'm terrified (luckily never happened, but I at least envision I would run in that situation), or if I want to catch a bus that I would otherwise miss.  And even then, I consider whether I should just wait  for the next one.  I just don't get doing it for fun.

I don't get people who don't vote.  Or maybe I don't get why it's so easy for me to vote.  I didn't grow up in a family that talked politics or took me to the polling place when they voted.  I literally don't remember any of my 4 parents once talking about voting when I was a kid.  Not only in my family, but my community, my school.  Totally unremarked upon.  But somehow, the day I turned 18, I registered and have voted every time since.  Since it took so little to get me to do it, and it takes so little to keep doing it, it just seems like it would be harder to avoid doing it and I don't get how other people do all that hard work of avoiding it all the time!  I mean, the ROI for me (suspecting my vote makes a difference) barely has to exist at all because it's just something I do without thinking, like brushing my teeth every day.  But at least I know I was taught that and that's how that became a habit.  So there is a big disconnect there for me - I realize it's not the same for a lot of other people, and that's just the way the world is whether I'll ever truly understand it or not.  But I still wish I could be in their heads sometime so I could get it in my gut.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »

If you go back and read my comments in full, with attention, you'll find my objections in that particular section are having our community taxed for $30,000,000 for that "privilege" (a sum that represents EIGHTEEN PERCENT OF OUR CITY'S ANNUAL GROSS REVENUE), forcing other people to subsidize their enjoyment, and ludicrously thinking they are real men because their team won.   

I have no problem with people who just enjoy watching or playing sports.  Hope they have a wonderful time doing so.   I don't even mind paying taxes for modest facilities in city parks so citizens have a place to play one another.   That's a great use of tax dollars.   

If someone put forward a case study in which they spent EIGHTEEN PERCENT of their gross income on JUST ONE OF MANY sports activities, and yet had serious financial issues in their life and claimed they couldn't afford to deal with the others, we would all be merciless in our disdain of their choices.    That's where I am on my city's boondoggle of a stadium.
And, having seen this scenario play out over and over and over and over all across my country the last 5 decades, I'm just over being polite about it.   It's ludicrous that the highest paid state officials in most states are coaches.   Simply ludicrous.  So, yes, we going millions of dollars into debt so people can watch men play with their balls in public.   

People who enjoy the tax dollars squandered on the sports industrial complex aren't used to being held accountable for the foolishness of that use of our scarce public resources.   I think they should be.   Given that there's always someone's brother-in-law who'll make a killing on the land deal for a stadium, and on another deal to build the stadium, and by the news media who get income from advertising and covering these activities, and the politicians who will get votes for providing these facilities, surely my little voice of scorn can be ignored by sports enthusiasts.  It will certainly be ignored by anyone in power.

I have never been in favor of subsidized sports stadiums for pro teams. College is different, but even then I would never be in favor of the type of stadiums being built.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2018, 12:47:28 PM »
Soccer - so boring, give me some NFL football!
I once knew a soccer mom and her kids who liked to tease Dad about how much time in football is between plays - as the team would get out of a huddle they'd say something like "O look they're about to DO something". I can't speak much myself, because I do sometimes enjoy watching baseball where most of the game is played with one guy trying to hit the ball with a bat while another guy throws a ball past him - just about everyone else is standing around in case the batter is successful at putting the ball in play (100's of pitches each game but usually only a few dozen plays).

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »
I once knew a soccer mom and her kids who liked to tease Dad about how much time in football is between plays - as the team would get out of a huddle they'd say something like "O look they're about to DO something". I can't speak much myself, because I do sometimes enjoy watching baseball where most of the game is played with one guy trying to hit the ball with a bat while another guy throws a ball past him - just about everyone else is standing around in case the batter is successful at putting the ball in play (100's of pitches each game but usually only a few dozen plays).
An average NFL football game is only 6% playing:

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »
The majority of things associated with holidays, with the exception of getting together with people you love.

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving for this reason - you share a lovely meal with loved ones. 

The majority of the other crap - Christmas decorations, gifts, cards, etc. - that is more stress than anything else. Some of it is downright ridiculous IMO.  My kids are 1/16th Irish.  I'm not making them green frosting cupcakes for St. Patrick's day with little gold chocolates.  I don't want insanely overpriced flowers for Valentine's Day.  I don't even particularly like birthday cake.  Why does have it be cake?  Can't it be a dessert I enjoy more like brownies or pie?  (Yes I know it can, but I share a birthday party with my mom and she wants cake so I do cake).

I've taken to calling most holidays "Hallmark event number (blank)."  Regardless of the reason the holiday was created, it now exists to sell stuff.  If it isn't Hallmark, then it's your local furniture store or car dealership.  Christmas is the only exception because EVERYTHING is for sale.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2018, 01:02:32 PM »
Obsession with home ownership in the UK.

Why is this an issue? High cost?

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2018, 01:22:29 PM »

I think it's because practicing for thousands of hours is how you get really good at something.

I know practising stuff is how you get good at it. I just don't understand how they can actually get their brains to stick to the same project for ages without looking at something else and going "Oooh, shiny!" and ending up splitting their time between at least 5 different things or something.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »
People who are proud that they vote, but can't answer basic questions about the people they voted for (often those who just show up to vote their party line, or who know they want to vote for "that one guy" so they then just pick people they don't have any clue about to vote for at the same time). They are often the ones posting on Facebook et al about how "you can't say anything if you didn't vote" etc.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2018, 01:39:03 PM »
I don't get not getting it

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2018, 01:54:56 PM »

I have never been in favor of subsidized sports stadiums for pro teams. College is different, but even then I would never be in favor of the type of stadiums being built.
Wait, don't cities/municipalities vote on this?  The owner of a team can voice their opinion about wanting a certain type of stadium or an update or a location that will offer blah blah.  A city commission puts together a plan.  If the city votes 'Yes', the plan is put to the owner and if they green light the project then you get a huge stadium that can cost millions of taxpayer dollars.  If the city votes 'No', however, it won't spend money on it.  An owner holding a city hostage to build the billionaire their stadium is beside the point, if the city didn't want to play ball metaphorically, then no ball would be played literally.

If cities didn't want the professional franchises or at least didn't want to subsidize the venues to such an extent, they would vote 'No'.  If voting in your city is limited to those at City Hall, maybe next time vote for some people that will align with your interests.  Either way, if delegates or the whole city is voting to spend taxpayer dollars on something, it sounds like democracy is working.

As for states' highest paid "employees" all being collegiate coaches, a lot of this is driven by simple economics*.  Look at the revenues and costs of each sport.  At many universities, especially in the South, football makes so much money (including paying the ludicrous coaching staff salaries) that it is able to pay for the other sports that pretty much all lose money (basketball is usually about a break-even with a few schools in the black).  If Bryant-Denny didn't have 110,000 people in it and say only 30000, I bet Nick Saban wouldn't be making his current salary.  The link below shows Bama football made 45 million in PROFIT in 2017.  The net profit for the entire athletic department was 15 million.  That means all other sports were able to operate at a negative 30 million clip and the athletic department still made money and did not have to touch monies that have to do with education.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-alabama-athletics-reports-over-174-million-in-revenue-in-2017/

* So are teacher/educator salaries.  I agree they are low for the service that is provided to our children and communities ignoring supply and demand for a second, but each year thousands of 22/23 year olds are willing to work for these low salaries.  The supply is too high.  Public education will continue to erode until taxpayers are willing to pay more (increased demand) and/or standards for entry to the field are raised higher (limiting supply).

Curmudgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »
Why is there such a strong correlation between what political party you identify with, and your belief in climate change?  I mean, do democrats and republicans have different opinions on what constitutes dark matter, or what the speed of light in a vacuum is?  I don't get why climate is a political issue, rather than a scientific one.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »
Why is there such a strong correlation between what political party you identify with, and your belief in climate change?  I mean, do democrats and republicans have different opinions on what constitutes dark matter, or what the speed of light in a vacuum is?  I don't get why climate is a political issue, rather than a scientific one.

Because denying climate change is much more politically expedient than saying, "I believe in climate change, but I care more about pro-business policies than the environment."

(and I'm a Republican).

I don't get - People who complain about things but aren't motivated enough to do anything about it.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2018, 02:20:45 PM »

Reductions in pollution requires government regulations or changes to business models which cost money. Costing businesses money = key Republican issue.

Stachless

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »

Have you given any thought to the Revenue side of this equation?  Perhaps a giant stadium will require some jobs (they do not build and run themselves after all) that expands your city's tax base in addition to a host of other benefits?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2018, 02:55:47 PM »
People who suffer with migraines and/or stomach problems and are unwilling to alter their diets to try and help because it seems 'too extreme'... but are all too willing to pop pills like they're candy and hook themselves up to treatment machines.

What I don't get is people giving out all kinds of medical advice out to strangers who didn't ask for your opinion.
I happen to have both an auto-immune disease and frequent migraines and you won't believe the kind of crazy advice I get on an almost daily basis. Even when their intentions are good, I'd rather take the advice of doctors who've spent years studying medicine.
That said, I totally agree that popping pills, especially pain killers, should be avoided as much as possible.

( no offence meant, but there is no link between migraines and food at all. This has been proven wrong a long time ago. Migraine is a brain disease and symptoms start in your brain days before the patient gets a migraine. Because of these developments you get tired / stressed  / crave foods, but it's because of the migraine, not causing it.  Or in the words of my neurologist: "chocolate causes migraines like pickles cause pregnancy". ) 

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2018, 03:04:00 PM »

Have you given any thought to the Revenue side of this equation?  Perhaps a giant stadium will require some jobs (they do not build and run themselves after all) that expands your city's tax base in addition to a host of other benefits?

This.

Same reason why a city would want to give tax breaks to any big businesses. You get a lot of money coming into your city from outside sources (hotels, restaurants, etc). I live in a very small community that worked really hard to host state little league baseball for this reason. Our hotel was booked all weekend all of our restaurants had a waiting line and the grocery store parking lot was full all weekend. Even our camp grounds where full. I know for a bigger town this would be a drop in a bucket but you could see how it would scale.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2018, 03:06:23 PM »

Research has shown that economically, tax funded sports stadiums are a net-negative overall. (Don't have that in front of me right now)

I'm a huge sports fan but I am against paying for billionaire's private company assets.  I wasn't always....until I saw the report (that I don't have in front of me to share).

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2018, 03:21:43 PM »
I don't get running marathons.  Shorter runs I can understand but marathons just seem miserable for everyone involved. 

I also don't get religion, since we're being honest here.  I try to understand religious people and I'm tolerant of their beliefs but I just don't get how people can believe all that stuff.

And same with watching sports.  My husband watches all kinds of sports on TV but I just don't get the fascination with it.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »

Research has shown that economically, tax funded sports stadiums are a net-negative overall. (Don't have that in front of me right now)

I'm a huge sports fan but I am against paying for billionaire's private company assets.  I wasn't always....until I saw the report (that I don't have in front of me to share).

So much this.  I not only have read that study, but I lived it.  And I was grossed out by every minute of it.  And yet it continues to happen and the rich owners and boosters keep getting to pretend the public benefits and no one (successfully) calls them out on it.  It's horrifying to see.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2018, 03:38:56 PM »

Here's a Forbes article on the topic.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2018, 03:43:57 PM »

No kidding; I altered my diet (MSG was my biggest trigger, though it took awhile to identify) and went from having 30+ bad migraines a year to maybe 3 or 4 moderate ones. Sure, it won't work for some people if their migraines are triggered by something else, but isn't it at least worth trying to change your diet/keeping a food diary as opposed to spending $$$ on pills right off the bat? I was willing to try almost anything before resorting to pills and I'm so happy that I was able to mostly alleviate mine with dietary changes. I still get a few due to weather changes or hormones, but eliminating 90% of them was well worth saying no to Chick Fil A, for instance.

YES. I have celiac disease. I gave up gluten immediately because it was worth it not to have debilitating migraines and GI pain. People seem really confused by this and claim that they "could never do that!" So basically, they're telling me that if they were diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that could be completely treated just by diet, they wouldn't bother. I don't get it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2018, 03:48:35 PM »

Yes. I sing and cook and knit. Fifteen years ago, I was at best mediocre at all three. Now I sing with small audition-only choirs, cook from scratch most days, and knit my own clothing.

Honestly, I don't get how normal, healthy people are ever bored. The last time I was bored was back in January, when I had the flu and was too sick to concentrate on TV or a book but couldn't sleep. Laying on the sofa with absolutely no energy is boring, for sure. Otherwise, I can always find something at least moderately interesting to do.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2018, 04:42:14 PM »

So much this.  I not only have read that study, but I lived it.  And I was grossed out by every minute of it.  And yet it continues to happen and the rich owners and boosters keep getting to pretend the public benefits and no one (successfully) calls them out on it.  It's horrifying to see.

Interesting I stand corrected. I'll have to see if I can find the study. Always interested in learning something new.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »
Are you sure he can read?  Totally not meant to be insulting, I was just listening to a story the other day told by a woman who, something like 5 years into her relationship with a guy finally learned he was illiterate.  She couldn't believe how she could miss something like that that would seem like it would be obvious.  She spent a lot of time trying to reconstruct how she didn't notice.  One thing she related was that when she wrote poetry and wanted him to read it, he would ask her to read it to him because he liked hearing her works in her own voice.  But it was still a mystery in a thousand little ways that she could have possibly not found out.  So yeah, it's terribly unlikely you've missed this, but I just don't get it with her story.  Shocking.

Oh yes, he can read fine. He reads comics. He reads social media and websites. Just is not into books.

I just thought of another one: board games and card games. We have friends who are really into this stuff and always want to pull out a game when we get together. And I'm just like.... meh? I'll participate now and then to be social, but I don't understand why it's fun. To me it feels like work - having to learn and follow rules. I mean, I do that all day long at my job, you know?

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2018, 07:30:25 PM »

Oh yes, he can read fine. He reads comics. He reads social media and websites. Just is not into books.

I just thought of another one: board games and card games. We have friends who are really into this stuff and always want to pull out a game when we get together. And I'm just like.... meh? I'll participate now and then to be social, but I don't understand why it's fun. To me it feels like work - having to learn and follow rules. I mean, I do that all day long at my job, you know?

Some of us LOVE rules, and probably should have been lawyers. Also, arguing over the semantics of the rules in margin situations is one of the best parts of playing board games, imo. On the other hand, nobody wants to play Scattergories with me, due to this, so YMMV.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2018, 08:13:43 PM »

I watched soccer and know the rules.  I watched the U.S. women's team win some huge games.  But even then, I couldn't bear to watch all of it and jumped forward quite a bit and would reverse if I missed a score (the only good action.  lol).   With football, I don't want to miss a play, as each play is concentrated with heavy action, and will sometime reverse my DVR to watch a play again prior to the replays.  People who don't like it probably don't understand the game and sucked really bad at football themselves.  lol  The only part I really dislike would be the commercials and timeouts (injuries, extended reviews, etc.), but I time-shift every game by at least 30 minutes, so it makes it easy peasy to jump through those in a flash so I'm only watching the good stuff.

I watched the Cubs win the World Series a couple years ago, but other than that, I have a tough time watching much baseball, even with time-shifting and jumping forward to the next pitch.  But it sure as heck beats soccer.  I feel about the same way about hockey as I do soccer.

I basically avoid all college sports.

Teachers are paid very well in many areas when you factor in salary, pension, and the fact that they only work about 9 months a year.   Pro teams are a major benefit for a larger city that isn't realized simply by counting ticket revenue.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 08:15:35 PM by DreamFIRE »

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
I don't get the obsession of so many Americans' fascination with the Royal Family, most specifically the upcoming Royal Wedding. Sure, it's of some cultural and historic cultural note, but the seemingly endless news stories dissecting it and actual people planning to get up at 4 AM wearing bathrobes and cheap tiaras drinking tea while watching it on television is a curious phenomenon.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2018, 08:38:29 PM »
I don't get how some people appear to think that prostitution is wrong but that participating is pornographic films is less wrong or substantially different. Basically, I don't get why someone would think these two types of sex work are deserving of different levels of judgment.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2018, 08:42:30 PM »
I don't get the obsession of so many Americans' fascination with the Royal Family,

I don't get it, either.  And I'm bombarded with that soap opera crap in the news all the time and jump forward with the DVR to avoid it, but it's never ending.  This American couldn't care less about any of it.  I guess that gives something for the non-sports people to do.  lol

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2018, 09:25:30 PM »

I watched soccer and know the rules.  I watched the U.S. women's team win some huge games.  But even then, I couldn't bear to watch all of it and jumped forward quite a bit and would reverse if I missed a score (the only good action.  lol).   With football, I don't want to miss a play, as each play is concentrated with heavy action, and will sometime reverse my DVR to watch a play again prior to the replays.  People who don't like it probably don't understand the game and sucked really bad at football themselves.  lol  The only part I really dislike would be the commercials and timeouts (injuries, extended reviews, etc.), but I time-shift every game by at least 30 minutes, so it makes it easy peasy to jump through those in a flash so I'm only watching the good stuff.

I watched the Cubs win the World Series a couple years ago, but other than that, I have a tough time watching much baseball, even with time-shifting and jumping forward to the next pitch.  But it sure as heck beats soccer.  I feel about the same way about hockey as I do soccer.

I basically avoid all college sports.

Teachers are paid very well in many areas when you factor in salary, pension, and the fact that they only work about 9 months a year.   Pro teams are a major benefit for a larger city that isn't realized simply by counting ticket revenue.
It's like I wrote this myself.  I get it.  All the way down to time shifting the DVR exactly.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2018, 09:45:32 PM »
I don't get the obsession of so many Americans' fascination with the Royal Family,

I don't get it, either.  And I'm bombarded with that soap opera crap in the news all the time and jump forward with the DVR to avoid it, but it's never ending.  This American couldn't care less about any of it.  I guess that gives something for the non-sports people to do.  lol

+1. I happened to be in London last month when the new royal baby was born. My friend (American, like me) messaged me and was all "OMG OMG you're in London and the royal baby is RIGHT THERE, you have to go see the baby!!" Um, OK? Yep, it's a baby all right.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »
Country music twang.  Sounds artificial.  Is that really necessary?

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2018, 01:12:32 AM »

Yes. I sing and cook and knit. Fifteen years ago, I was at best mediocre at all three. Now I sing with small audition-only choirs, cook from scratch most days, and knit my own clothing.

Honestly, I don't get how normal, healthy people are ever bored. The last time I was bored was back in January, when I had the flu and was too sick to concentrate on TV or a book but couldn't sleep. Laying on the sofa with absolutely no energy is boring, for sure. Otherwise, I can always find something at least moderately interesting to do.

Oh, I'm rarely bored. But I also switch which hobby I'm mainly doing something between every few days and every two weeks. I mean, they come back around cyclically, but, for example, my (retired in her 50s) mum literally spends 80% of her free time knitting and has done for the past couple of years. I understand she gets enjoyment from it, so I encourage her at it, but I could never spend that much time on one hobby for such a length of time. I know this has probably affected my skill level in various things...

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2018, 02:55:34 AM »
Guns.

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2018, 04:49:01 AM »
No offense taken.  I'm not giving medical advice :-)

My point is... why wouldn't someone try it?  And bullocks on the "food doesn't cause migraines." Maybe it's not the food itself CAUSING the migraine, but it can be a reaction by my body trying to process said food.  Like when someone has Celiac Disease, which I have.  And you know when I get my migraine?  2-3 days after I ingest something I shouldn't. I'm no stranger to unsolicited medical advice - I don't give that either.  Only when solicited or someone's whining and that's when I get the "oh, I couldn't cut out <insert XXX food here>".

I had migraines 4 times a week and for awhile they thought I had a brain tumor.  The doctors put me on Topomax and Maxalt and sent me for blood tests and brain scans.  Know what it was?  I'm a Celiac and really needed to stop eating the crap I was eating.  I stopped... and so did the migraines.  I wish my doctors would have told me about potential inflammation in my body because not every body processes every food the same.  I also had a multitude of other symptoms that definitely should have helped them draw the conclusion of diet, but they didn't.  And I was young and trusted them.

My sister has 6-8 migraines a month.  She takes Maxalt like candy.  She refuses to try cutting out some basic things that may be affecting her.  Shoot, at this point I'd just get Botox if I were her.  My sister-in-law has Celiac's and Crohn's.  She also refuses to try cutting out basic things that are known to cause inflammation.  She instead hooks herself up to a Remicade machine once a month for her treatments.

But, no. I don't think that changing your diet is a cure-all.  I do think it's worth it to try.  If it doesn't work, try something else.  I'm all for #betterlivingthroughchemistry when it's necessary.  So, long story short... I don't get people who won't TRY.

What I don't get is people giving out all kinds of medical advice out to strangers who didn't ask for your opinion.
I happen to have both an auto-immune disease and frequent migraines and you won't believe the kind of crazy advice I get on an almost daily basis. Even when their intentions are good, I'd rather take the advice of doctors who've spent years studying medicine.
That said, I totally agree that popping pills, especially pain killers, should be avoided as much as possible.

( no offence meant, but there is no link between migraines and food at all. This has been proven wrong a long time ago. Migraine is a brain disease and symptoms start in your brain days before the patient gets a migraine. Because of these developments you get tired / stressed  / crave foods, but it's because of the migraine, not causing it.  Or in the words of my neurologist: "chocolate causes migraines like pickles cause pregnancy". )

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »
YES. I have celiac disease. I gave up gluten immediately because it was worth it not to have debilitating migraines and GI pain. People seem really confused by this and claim that they "could never do that!" So basically, they're telling me that if they were diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that could be completely treated just by diet, they wouldn't bother. I don't get it.

Yes, I've gotten this reaction before.  I mean, I get where they're coming from, because before I would have said "that'd be really hard" in regards to giving up all things with gluten.  Let me tell you, having recently developed DH (dermatitis herpetiformis, an itchy rash due to gluten allergy), it's suddenly not that hard at all.  The hard part is figuring out what's safe to eat if you're not the one cooking it (eg eating out), and people seem to think that cooking their own food is just too difficult to manage.

Also, I don't get why they put wheat/gluten into f*ing everything.  I mean, some brands of soy sauce (SOY sauce!) have wheat in them.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2018, 12:46:35 PM »
My rant: I don't get people hiking in the wilderness blaring music. If you want to listen to music, fine, wear a fucking earbud. If I'm 10,000 feet up a mountain backpacking (yesterday, in fact) I don't want to hear your music. I want to be in freaking nature.

The fact that that's becoming acceptable ANYWHERE, let alone up a mountain, is ridiculous.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »

The fact that that's becoming acceptable ANYWHERE, let alone up a mountain, is ridiculous.
Yeah, this one makes me sad.  I kind of get it.  People like listening to music and if they are in a group, they want to all hear it and they are not concerned about (some may even thrill at) the violation of norms and the encroachment on others' enjoyment that they bet no one will speak up about.  But it's still depressing.

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2018, 02:27:09 PM »
People who go on and on and on about a topic in which I have no interest at all.  These people don't even check in with others to see if any one is interested.  They just talk and talk and talk.

The salt in the wound is when they are complaining.

A joke I made up:
One difference between an extrovert and an introvert is the extrovert assumes you are interested in whatever topic he is talking about.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2018, 02:30:41 PM »

Yes, I've gotten this reaction before.  I mean, I get where they're coming from, because before I would have said "that'd be really hard" in regards to giving up all things with gluten.  Let me tell you, having recently developed DH (dermatitis herpetiformis, an itchy rash due to gluten allergy), it's suddenly not that hard at all.  The hard part is figuring out what's safe to eat if you're not the one cooking it (eg eating out), and people seem to think that cooking their own food is just too difficult to manage.

Also, I don't get why they put wheat/gluten into f*ing everything.  I mean, some brands of soy sauce (SOY sauce!) have wheat in them.

I totally get the “that’d be really hard” reaction. It was hard. The first time I went to the grocery store after my diagnosis, I ended up crying in the health food aisle because it felt like most of the store was poison (ITA about the soy sauce. When we went to Japan, I packed my own GF soy sauce). I don’t get the people who are diagnosed and refuse to change their diets.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2018, 03:46:35 PM »

I don't get people who don't vote.   I don't get how other people do all that hard work of avoiding it all the time!

What do you mean by doing "all the hard work of avoiding it all the time"?  It takes no work to not vote. You literally don't change anything about your typical day, on a voting day, and poof! you've not voted!

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2018, 04:05:54 PM »