Author Topic: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.  (Read 204937 times)

Sayonara925

• Stubble
The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« on: May 13, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
Ever find yourself wondering why others give importance to something in terms of time/money/effort/energy/etc, but you can't quite understand why?

If so, tell us about it here.  Feel free to rant (or defend).  Like...

Harry Potter...I don't get it.
Spending hours each day on FaceBook...I don't get it.
This thread...I don't get it.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: The 'I Don't Get It' thread. Rants accepted.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:32:12 AM »
Football...

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »
I don't get why it bothers some people what others do, especially if it has no impact on their life in any way.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 10:46:49 AM »
Smoking tobacco.

ExitViaTheCashRamp

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 11:26:12 AM »
My relative - £75,000 per year is not enough, they urgently needs to change job from a good, considerate employer as they need more money... to save for their daughters wedding. The daughter is 5.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 11:46:51 AM »
Keurigs.  The waste and expense is mind boggling.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 11:55:07 AM »
Getting upset that other people don't believe the same things you do about [insert almost any topic here].

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »
Television just baffles me. It just seems... boring and stupid? And I hate commercials. I'm not great at sitting still for that long either with nothing occupying me. And then you see these things in the news about how the average person watches 3, 4, 5 hours a DAY of it? I just don't get how people can watch it that much and not lose their minds.

Kott308

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 12:12:17 PM »
A diehard allegiance to a college football team. . . especially a college that you didn’t attend

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
Smoking tobacco.

I don't care if someone smokes. What I don't get is using the entire world as their ashtray and/or trashcan for the cigarette butts. Do smokers think those things biodegrade quickly, or are they just stupid and uncaring?

chloes1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »
This was meant to be in reply to the Keurig comment.  Sorry. 

My father gifted me with one.  I promptly went and procured several of the reusable cups, so it's not such a profligate waste.

Still, I must go through a pot a day, and making a pot in the morning takes very little time.

Getting upset that other people don't believe the same things you do about [insert almost any topic here].
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 01:11:11 PM by chloes1 »

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 12:50:36 PM »
Watching other people play sports.  Doubly, if paying to do so...

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »
I don't get virtue signaling. 

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »

I don't even know what this is.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
The part I don't get about high school, college and professional sports isn't that people enjoy watching it.   Or learning about it.   

It's not to my taste, but that's ok.   To each their own.  Live and let live.

I totally get rooting for a team that's got someone on it whom you know.

The first part that really annoys me is all the men I know who clearly feel like "more of a real man" when their team wins a game.

I find that to be totally pathetic.   If their sense of self worth is tied to how well one group of strangers carries a piece of dead pig across a field versus another group of strangers, that's truly sad.  And yet I've known a lot of over-aged boy children who are exactly like that.  Same mentality that causes folks to drive grossly big pickup trucks they don't need so they'll be thought to be manly.   

If you enjoy sports and you're not like that, then there's no need to take it personal.

If you are like that, well, if the shoe fits, you're the one who bought it and put it on. 

The second part that annoys me is that our government caters to this infantilism by subsidizing sports stadiums for millions and millions of dollars.   We "can't afford" to pay teachers but we can "afford" a $33,000,000 to $40,000,000 baseball stadium.   That's right, our community will be spending upwards of $40,000,000 so we can watch men play with their balls in public.  It's ludicrous.   The highest paid government officials in most states are football or basketball coaches.  That's ludicrous.     Was looking at tuition and fees cost for a local state university a couple of weeks ago.  Students will be paying $740 per year for athletic fees.    That's ludicrous.   It's bad enough college costs are so high, but to force students to subsidize football and basketball teams  -- whose culture is often the very antithesis of what an academic culture should be -- with that kind of money is horrible.

We should switch to intra-mural sports that are inexpensive and use the savings to drive down college costs.   Or let those who want to major in sports pay the extra fees.   

You asked, I answered.   

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 01:50:11 PM »

I don't even know what this is.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22virtue%20signaling%22

Might find a few examples in this thread.  Just saying, something made me think of it.  Cough. Cough. 

I mentioned something I didn't get on another thread and got jumped on big time.  Personally, I dig a thread like this where you can rag and nag on something without having to worry about getting called out as being judgy.  This is the interweb for crap sake, where anonymous rants are a fun past time. 

Carry on.   

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 02:20:26 PM »
Running. Not good for the body. I am 61 and all my runner friends are having joints replaced. Cut it out, people.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »
Running. Not good for the body. I am 61 and all my runner friends are having joints replaced. Cut it out, people.
Previous research I've done on this didn't seem to indicate that was true and that running can actually strengthen joints.  Having said that, I haven't done much running in in the last 15 years.

Slow2FIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 02:51:32 PM »
I don't get why people think its okay to put a nice ding in your car door and not even leave a simple note that says "sorry".

I don't get why people always have to be "first" in line on the highway, even if it means making dangerous driving decisions to get your "pole position".

I don't get why someone would think it is no problem to let their dog crap on the hiking trails, sidewalks, people's yards, public parks, etc and not pick it up.  Especially when the dog craps less than 10 feet away from a dog poop trash can and poop bag dispenser stuffed with disposable bags.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 03:38:55 PM »
I don't get why people think its okay to put a nice ding in your car door and not even leave a simple note that says "sorry".

Agree.  This just happened to me this morning.  And it was my next door neighbor.  Red car, car door directly in line with the red ding.  Still pondering how to handle this.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 03:40:32 PM »

Yeah, or do even worse damage and just take off.

I don't get why someone would think it is no problem to let their dog crap on the hiking trails, sidewalks, people's yards, public parks, etc and not pick it up.  Especially when the dog craps less than 10 feet away from a dog poop trash can and poop bag dispenser stuffed with disposable bags.

This brings back memories of this thread:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/weird-situation-poop-anger-children-swearing-dogs-awful-people/

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 04:07:55 PM »
Same mentality that causes folks to drive grossly big pickup trucks they don't need so they'll be thought to be manly.   

There have been studies showing women are more attracted to men with trucks, especially nice black trucks.  Extra points for larger size.  Google it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:09:58 PM by DreamFIRE »

EngineeringFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »
I don't get tattoos.

They're expensive, and almost guaranteed to create buyer's remorse at some point in the future. If they're visible, they can affect one's career path due to other's subconscious biases. And of course there is still the risk of contracting hepatitis C from getting one, although I believe this has been greatly reduced recent years.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2018, 05:15:18 PM »
Television just baffles me. It just seems... boring and stupid? And I hate commercials. I'm not great at sitting still for that long either with nothing occupying me. And then you see these things in the news about how the average person watches 3, 4, 5 hours a DAY of it? I just don't get how people can watch it that much and not lose their minds.

I’m general I agree but some series are worth watching like Game of Thrones, Westworld, Breaking Bad, etc. I’m very selective and only watch if it’s already regarded as incredible. But we’re talking the equivalent of a very good movie. A very good movie/series can rival a very good book.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 05:32:54 PM »

I’m general I agree but some series are worth watching like Game of Thrones, Westworld, Breaking Bad, etc.

That's just one person's rant and opinion, so don't let it bother you that someone else feels differently than you do.  I think TV / movies at home are a very efficient low cost form of entertainment, particularly if you have an antenna and get TV for free and a source for low cost movies.   I have an HTPC for time shifting, so I don't have to watch or wait for commercials and only watch a few different things with any regularity.  I wouldn't want to give it up completely.  Breaking bad was ok, I binge watched the whole series not long after it ended.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
I don't understand people who don't read books, and who seem to be proud of it.
And yes, I personally know people like this.
The question they ask  isn't "what're you reading?" It's "what're you reading for?"

I also don't get vocal Christian folks who still stand behind & defend Trump. Often the same people I mentioned above.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »
Boyfriend doesn't seem proud of not being a reader, he's just matter of fact about it.... but I really just don't understand not liking reading books. He doesn't have a disability that makes reading difficult. He just doesn't enjoy it - which, whatever, we're all different, but sometimes I find myself really wanting to understand what he finds so distasteful about reading books, you know?

The part I don't get about high school, college and professional sports isn't that people enjoy watching it.   Or learning about it.   

It's not to my taste, but that's ok.   To each their own.  Live and let live.

I totally get rooting for a team that's got someone on it whom you know.

The first part that really annoys me is all the men I know who clearly feel like "more of a real man" when their team wins a game.

I agree with this. This, and the fact that, in my city, watching sports, particularly the Cubs, also seems to largely involve getting blind drunk, sexually harassing people, and otherwise misbehaving. I am a lifelong Chicagoan. For some time, I lived in Wrigleyville. I should've known I was signing up for drunk assholes screaming the names of Cubs players in front of my building at all hours of the night on work nights, or peeing and/or vomiting on the front lawn of my building. I moved out of that neighborhood years ago but still have to deal with blind drunk fans riding the same train line I need to use to get to and from work. My feeling is, if people enjoy watching grown men hit a ball with a stick, have at it - but do they need to get completely shitfaced every time they do so?

And, like Swordguy, disclaimer: yes, I know that not all sports fans are like this. I'm reporting what I saw a lot of in 7 years of living near Wrigley Field and now riding the train daily with folks going (staggering?) to and from the games.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2018, 06:42:51 PM »
My workplace is in a mall.  Not far away is a Michael Kors store.  Each window has 3 perfectly positioned purses on display.

Granted I'm not a woman.  Regardless I have no idea how a company like this stays in business, much less sells a single item.  Yet there are always people in the store.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 07:07:55 PM »
I don't get people who aren't intensely curious about the world around them.....we have the scope of the world's knowledge at our finger tips (what a smart phone IS good for), yet I know so many people that will say "mmmm, that's interesting, I don't know", and leave it at that.  Origins of expressions, spellings of words, how to do anything (I'm sure there's a youtube video for it, no matter what it is).....I'm not nosey, I'm not talking about needing to know what people are doing or saying, I'm talking about the WHY and the HOW of the world.  Who gives a crap about what you had for breakfast and posted on facebook, when I could look up how to make something....

It's okay not to know something, but it's not okay to not what to find out the answer once you figure out you don't know something.   Phones are smarter, people are dumber.

thanks for the rant, I feel better now.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 07:11:01 PM »
Nascar

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 08:02:04 PM »
Wanting to have kids.

Soccer - so boring, give me some NFL football!

Disliking your own state's professional sports team while being a fan of a team from a state you've never lived in and located further away.

Going out to movies.  Just watch a movie at home and avoid the bed bugs and higher costs.

Reading fiction - give me a multi-sensory experience instead of flipping through pieces of paper with words on them.

Smoking / drugs for "entertainment" purposes.

Tattoos

Americans who "get off" on continuously making personal attacks against the president of their country while he helps makes them rich.

Retired neighbors who always wait until I'm home from work to mow their lawns.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:04:02 PM by DreamFIRE »

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 09:00:14 PM »
Adults who love love LOVE All Things Disney.

I get wanting to take the kids there for a blow out weekend (though I've never done this) I'm talking about fully grown adults who choose to go to Disney-something for their wedding, weeks' long honeymoon, every vacation for 20 years. To have lunch with Goofy. Even those who 'hack' it with points or miles or park passes or whatever. Eschewing Paris, London, Bali, autumn leaves in New England, the beaches of Hawaii, the mountains of Colorado. Really? You'd rather have manufactured fun at a theme park at age 40 or 50? Seriously?

Ditto on the dog poop. And how come people on horses on hiking trails can freely let the horses shit wherever? Sure, it's mostly hay,and the steaming mound is obvious, but who wants to step in it?

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 09:33:49 PM »
The question they ask  isn't "what're you reading?" It's "what're you reading for?"

Looks like we got ourselves a reader.

Bill Hicks fan, by chance?

LearnTo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2018, 02:02:08 AM »

Agree.  This just happened to me this morning.  And it was my next door neighbor.  Red car, car door directly in line with the red ding.  Still pondering how to handle this.

When I had had my last car, I had an enormous dent, much more than just a ding, that happened anonymously at a Walmart.  When I asked them to pull any security footage, their policy is to refuse unless requested by the police.  OK, fine, file a police report and they'll get to it long after the security footage is erased, or in my case, NEVER.

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2018, 02:19:42 AM »
Obsession with home ownership in the UK.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 02:47:18 AM »
I don't get why it bothers some people what others do, especially if it has no impact on their life in any way.

Leafblowers (and most 2-stroke powered devices in general).

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 03:56:26 AM »
35-40 year old men playing video games for hours...Don't get it, I have never been a gamer, however most of my nephews are. I really feel bad for the wives and the kids, unless they are spending time with them playing together? I would rather be on the beach, out on the water, or in the mountains. Generational thing I guess.

Related...Movies that all look the same to me. Most seem to look like one big video game...?

Reality T.V. What a waste of time.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2018, 05:25:56 AM »
"Rolling coal" - you're spending wasting a bunch of extra money to modify your truck, just to piss someone else off. Some who you assume is judging you from the driver's seat of their Prius.

Really?

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 05:35:56 AM »
Starting drinking late in the evening, when you plan to drink/socialize for hours. Usual result is you lose the next day because of a hangover/sleeping in.

Why not start drinking at noon on a Sat? Drink and party/socialize all day with friends. Stop at 9 or 10, go home, get a full night's rest and sleep off the alcohol. Then you still get Sunday as a usable weekend day.

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2018, 06:28:20 AM »
A diehard allegiance to a college football team. . . especially a college that you didn’t attend

As an alumnus of my state's flagship university, I always like to comment on my Facebook Friends who didn't attend there but post about my alma mater's sports teams: "I always like to see folks who did not attend the U of ... supporting it" - as a subtle dig.

swampwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2018, 06:30:27 AM »
Smoking tobacco.

I don't care if someone smokes. What I don't get is using the entire world as their ashtray and/or trashcan for the cigarette butts. Do smokers think those things biodegrade quickly, or are they just stupid and uncaring?

I can remember making a snarky comment to some guy that asked me if I had a cigarette (I'm not sure if that is a pickup line in the homosexual community or what, but I digress) that it's a good thing that some folks so smoke so that our Social Security taxes are lower.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2018, 07:15:16 AM »

True, those and things like rolling coal do impact others (and can be dangerous/deadly).  I meant more long the lines of who goes to Disney, video games (I am over 50 and play Fortnight and got God of War for Mother's Day..beautiful game!), sports, etc.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 07:33:26 AM »

True, those and things like rolling coal do impact others (and can be dangerous/deadly).  I meant more long the lines of who goes to Disney, video games (I am over 50 and play Fortnight and got God of War for Mother's Day..beautiful game!), sports, etc.

I do see what you are saying.
The problem is a lot of people who make a lot of noise have no clue that they are impacting other's lives.
Lack of self-awareness I suspect.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2018, 07:55:15 AM »
The majority of things associated with holidays, with the exception of getting together with people you love.

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving for this reason - you share a lovely meal with loved ones. 

The majority of the other crap - Christmas decorations, gifts, cards, etc. - that is more stress than anything else. Some of it is downright ridiculous IMO.  My kids are 1/16th Irish.  I'm not making them green frosting cupcakes for St. Patrick's day with little gold chocolates.  I don't want insanely overpriced flowers for Valentine's Day.  I don't even particularly like birthday cake.  Why does have it be cake?  Can't it be a dessert I enjoy more like brownies or pie?  (Yes I know it can, but I share a birthday party with my mom and she wants cake so I do cake). 

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2018, 08:12:49 AM »

As an alumnus of my state's flagship university, I always like to comment on my Facebook Friends who didn't attend there but post about my alma mater's sports teams: "I always like to see folks who did not attend the U of ... supporting it" - as a subtle dig.

From your handle, I'm guessing Florida?

What I don't get is haters. People who feel they have to bring others down to lift themselves up. Or raise a stink about something someone else has that they don't but wish they did, with the intent to deprive the other person of the thing that they (the hater) covets. For example, I work in a place where my particular office is remote -- just a few miles -- from the main place of business. As a result, we dress casually here every day, and I've brought my dog to work on many occasions. And invariably, somebody has bitched about one thing or the other, even though my situation in no way affects them one iota. Ah, but the envy -- the idea that someone else could be enjoying something they themselves don't get to enjoy -- it burns them up; they HAVE to make an issue out of it, by god. Fortunately for me, my boss doesn't give a fuck what they think, so their complaints fall on deaf ears. :-)  Fuck the haters.

Nurse_Nash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2018, 08:46:08 AM »
The majority of things associated with holidays, with the exception of getting together with people you love.

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving for this reason - you share a lovely meal with loved ones. 

The majority of the other crap - Christmas decorations, gifts, cards, etc. - that is more stress than anything else. Some of it is downright ridiculous IMO.  My kids are 1/16th Irish.  I'm not making them green frosting cupcakes for St. Patrick's day with little gold chocolates.  I don't want insanely overpriced flowers for Valentine's Day.  I don't even particularly like birthday cake.  Why does have it be cake?  Can't it be a dessert I enjoy more like brownies or pie?  (Yes I know it can, but I share a birthday party with my mom and she wants cake so I do cake).

I agree with this. We celebrate Christmas the same way we do Thanksgiving - Family and amazing food, sharing stories and experiences. I havent had a Christmas tree (fire hazard) in years and I haven't purchased "Christmas presents" in just as long when I broke away from consumerism.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »
Watching other people play sports.  Doubly, if paying to do so...
I don't do this often but...

My husband and I had our first date playing volleyball.  We played a lot together when younger.

So for awhile, years later, it was a fun thing for us to go to a college game when he was in grad school.  Mostly women's games because the rallies lasted longer.  But we recently had a date night, spent $70 on babysitting and $20 on a men's volleyball game.  It was fun to watch, especially when it's a sport that you (used to) play (mediocre-ly).

Likewise, my big kid plays baseball, though I think he finally decided he's done. So, we go to his games (obv) and it's fun to watch.  Though those are free.

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2018, 09:46:08 AM »
People who suffer with migraines and/or stomach problems and are unwilling to alter their diets to try and help because it seems 'too extreme'... but are all too willing to pop pills like they're candy and hook themselves up to treatment machines.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »
I don't get people that have children and then don't seem to want to parent them.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!