Author Topic: Testing out a sabbatical/fire bicycle touring lifestyle  (Read 16715 times)

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
Re: Testing out a sabbatical/fire bicycle touring lifestyle
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »
To be honest I actually forgot about this thread. I've had a couple of great on bike and non bike tours. I'll post some info soon :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2019, 09:19:06 AM »
+1

Stop living your glorious life of freedom to entertain these people on the internet that you don't know and owe nothing to.  We demand it!  :P

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »
You guys are so funny. I've been in Mozambique the last couple of months but actually working my butt of with these two cyclones.

We'll I say working but it's actually been flying drones around all day making maps and searching for people who need rescuing. I'm back home again this weekend though.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2019, 11:07:44 AM »
What a rabbit hole you have sent me down. It started with looking at the maps posted above, then looking at folding bikes then YouTube decided to recommend this video.

https://youtu.be/M8mhIdZoVow

First time I have heard about rail biking so now not only am I thinking about how great it would be to slow travel by bike in Europe for a while in FIRE but also searching for abandoned rail road tracks in cool places :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2019, 04:39:42 AM »
Okay time for an update. Portugal has become one of our favourite places. It's cheap, safe, filled with friendly people and has great weather. Here's a trip we took there a little while ago.

I started in Lisbon on my own, as my wife was only arriving a few days later. Fortunately that also meant I could tackle the hills of Lisbon without too many complaints, and boy were those hills tough. Luckily there was a great area around the coast that was easy to cycle.

It's also a great place to have a nap

After a few days my wife joined me. I lulled her into falsely believing that Portugal was an easy cycling destination by following a very strategically chosen route. The future rides had very few smiles!

See darling, I told you it was flat

Err... this must be an exception

Okay so I lied. Fortunately if you don't feel like cycling or even walking them you can just hop on to a tram

It's a really beautiful city with fantastic tiling

Some really old buildings. Did you know that Lisbon is old. Really old. Older than Rome in fact. Lisbon is the second oldest European capital, only Athens is older.

And some really modern architecture

There were a couple of popup food markets where everything was just delicious, and very well priced

Each village has their own traditional pasteis (tart). The one in Belem, a suburb of Lisbon is the most famous, totally worth the queue!

Eventually it was time to pack the bikes up, load up on some cafe and head to the next town in our tour de Portugal

Goodbye Lisbon, I'll definitely be back

We're heading inland and uphill...

Damn those hills! Fortunately there's a few good spots to stop and rest

Up and up and up we rode. The scenery made it all worthwhile, or at least that's what I thought

No more, demanded the wife! Those hills are just too ridiculous, fortunately our bikes fold so they go on the train really easily and for free, and with a ticket price of just EUR 2.40 it was a bargain. Here we are just arriving in the most magical town I have ever visited

I'll let you know which town that is in the next installment...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:14:18 AM by patrickza »

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2019, 05:03:57 AM »
Is it Sintra?

Agree, Portugal is a fabulous place to visit, good food and wine and very friendly people.

When we visited, it took a while to learn a few words to order food and drinks. In the rural areas, some places are Portuguese only. We ordered a dish called "Ram in the oven" just out of curiosity and were delighted to be served delicious roast lamb.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2019, 07:19:30 AM »
Damn, that's pretty.

Cezil

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2019, 10:03:07 AM »
You are living our dream, and I am posting to follow!  I cannot wait to visit all these places!  Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »
Also posting to follow. Appreciate you sharing!!

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2019, 04:14:51 AM »
did you get your boat to live/sail on?
Not yet, but we're chartering one in Croatia in October to see if it's something we'd like. My wife has never been on a sailboat, so I thought we'd better find out first if she likes it before putting down a huge chunk of cash.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!