Author Topic: Taking money out of 401k to pay student loans  (Read 2623 times)

intmaaawc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Taking money out of 401k to pay student loans
« on: January 28, 2019, 02:10:01 PM »
Is it a good idea to take money out of your 401k to pay off your student loan debt?

I have $16k student loan debt, and fully fund my 401k every year (18,500). I could take out just enough to be caught up in a year again, and use savings to pay off the rest of my student load.

Instead of making a $254 payment to Sallie Mae, I could invest the money.

The other option is not to pay anything into my 401k this year and put everything towards my student loan, but then I'd miss out on my 6% employer match as well.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Re: Taking money out of 401k to pay student loans
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:18:38 PM »
Is it a good idea to take money out of your 401k to pay off your student loan debt?

I have $16k student loan debt, and fully fund my 401k every year (18,500). I could take out just enough to be caught up in a year again, and use savings to pay off the rest of my student load.

Instead of making a $254 payment to Sallie Mae, I could invest the money.

The other option is not to pay anything into my 401k this year and put everything towards my student loan, but then I'd miss out on my 6% employer match as well.

Do not take any money out of your 401k - you may retroactively lose your employer match, and and you will pay income tax with an additional 10% early withdrawal penalty on top of that. Definitely keep contributing enough to get the full 6% employer match - that's a 100% return on investment that you can never recover. You don't mention what the interest rates are on your loans, but if you want to wipe them out quickly, the best thing to do would be to ratchet down your 401k savings enough so that you get the full match, then throw every available dollar at the loans.

intmaaawc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:26:47 PM »
Interest on student loans is 6.5%.

If I set my contribution down to 6% (full employer match) it would give me about $330 per paycheck/$660 per month (pre tax?).

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:46:24 PM »
Thats great!  Within 3 years you will have it paid off!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:23:24 PM »
As a general rule, it is important to pay attention to opportunity cost.  You can only use each dollar once, so using it somewhere means you can't use it somewhere else.  So don't hyper-focus on what you will "save" with one choice without also looking at what that choice will cost you.

In your particular situation, you have two choices for that dollar.  Option 1 is to put it toward your student loans.  What does that get you?  You avoid paying 6.5% interest.  That is a good thing.  However, as interest on SLs is tax-deductible, you don't actually "save" the full 6.5%, probably more like 5%-ish.

Option 2 is to put it toward your 401(k).  What does that get you?  First, an immediate tax deduction.  Second, some of those dollars will get you an employer match, which is an automatic, guaranteed return on your investment somewhere between 25%-100%.  Third, every single one of those dollars will grow tax-free for the next several decades, generating more dollars, which in turn can grow tax-free and generate more dollars.  But here's the other thing:  Option 2 is so awesome that the government has to limit it, or else all the billionaires would never pay taxes.  You can only put $19K in your 401(k) every year, and if you don't use all of that in a particular year, you can't "make it up" by investing more in later years.  So every dollar that you don't use to max out your 401(k) represents decades of tax-deferred growth you are giving up.

Of course, you are going one step beyond that and considering actually taking money out of your 401(k) to pay your loans.  That has one more major cost that just diverting money to paying the loan does not:  you pay a 10% penalty for taking your money out early.  Think of it as "undoing" your past decisions, with a kicker:  in 2018, say, you put $18,500 into your 401(k), so you got to knock $18,500 off your income that year, and that money is growing.  Now you are undoing that choice.  So first, you are voluntarily forfeiting forever decades of tax-deferred growth on $18,500 of your 2018 earnings.  Second, you get to pay extra taxes in 2019 for taking that money out -- every penny that you take out in 2019 counts as "income" on your 2019 taxes.  And third, because you have to pay taxes on what you take out, you are going to need to take out more than the $16K you need to pay off the loan to end up with $16K in hand.  And finally, the real kicker: you get to pay an extra 10% penalty for an early withdrawal to boot.  So all together, you'll probably have to withdraw $20K or so to pay off $16K in loans, thus forfeiting forever the right to tax-deferred growth for all of your 2018 contributions and some of your 2017 contributions to boot.  So, basically, in return for forfeiting your right to grow many many additional dollars over the next several decades, you get to pay taxes and penalties now, and give up the student loan deduction on your future taxes. 

IMO taking money out of a 401(k) for anything is a real last-ditch effort and should be deployed only when all other efforts to cut expenses are insufficient and the loan rate is usurious.  That's not you, so don't do it.  In fact, I would not even cut back on the 401(k) contributions.  Look for other ways to cut expenses to get those loans paid off.   For bigger-picture issues and analysis, check out the investment order sticky -- it will give you a good framework for walking through these types of decisions.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »
Refinance your student loans instead. You'll actually get better rates due to the balance in your 401k. Then you can lower the rate and interest you're paying. Then,  follow the investment order.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 06:42:45 PM »
Does your 401k plan allow loans?  Most plans allow you to borrow against your 401k rather than withdraw and that way you are paying the interest to yourself instead of the student loan.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 06:40:38 AM »
Do not take money out of your 401k.  I'll echo what has already been said: Refi your loans if possible, contribute at least enough to get the employer match, and then dump the rest into the loans.  If you have been maxing your 401k you should have enough cash to crush that loan in short order.  It is probably worth doing an estimate of your 2019 taxes to see where you stand tax wise, and adjust your plan accordingly.  It may be worth keeping the loans around a bit longer and funding your 401k more than the minimum if it's especially advantageous for your tax situation, like if you are near the tax cliff for the savers credit.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 07:29:37 AM »
I'll vote for lowering your 401k contribution to 6% to fully get the match, then pay off the student loans.  I think the refinancing options are not going to be much better now than 6.5; perhaps 5.5% fixed for stellar credit (I base this on recently exploring refi options with my daughter).

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 08:37:21 AM »
I'll vote for lowering your 401k contribution to 6% to fully get the match, then pay off the student loans.  I think the refinancing options are not going to be much better now than 6.5; perhaps 5.5% fixed for stellar credit (I base this on recently exploring refi options with my daughter).

Refinance first. Take the best rate on terms you can meet without stress. Then, depending on the rate consider lowering your 401k. If you're in the 22% tax bracket, I would keep the 401k maxed out and then spending extra money paying down the loan. If you can secure a rate under 5% I wouldn't even pay down the loan. I would contribute the excess to a brokerage account instead.

Don't forget to refinance through referrals for some extra cash. You can refinance near unlimited amount of times so if you don't mind the credit inquiry you can swap companies whenever you get lower rates (check when your assets or income increases) and/or a bonus. I treat it like car insurance, check for the best rate 1-2x per year.

AlexMar

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
I feel like there is first an assumption that the 401k money is all you would have to put towards your student loan.  You are on MMM.  We know you have way more opportunities to save green rectangles that you can throw at your student loans than just your 401k.  Leave the 401k alone and max it out as you are doing.  Others have explained why that is such a good idea.

Can you lower your food budget? Entertainment?  What kind of car do you own?  Can you refinance the student loans so that more goes towards principle?  etc. etc.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 03:00:46 PM »
I would suggest a case study. A full financial picture will improve the accuracy of any advice.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/how-to-write-a-'case-study'-topic/

Lightfoot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 09:28:04 PM »
I disagree with so many people in this thread. Getting out of debt asap is always the 1st priority and first step to financial freedom. So two options.

1st option - lower your 401k contribution to 6%, take the money you would have put into your 401k and pay off the credit card (plus use any other money you have to speed that up). Once loan is paid off then max out 401k.

2nd option - 401k Loan option - if your 401k provider offers a loan option, take a look at the market and come up with what you think your return would be in the time it would take to payback the loan. Look up the interest rate you would pay on the loan (make sure you are paying yourself the interest, and only do this if you get to keep the interest). If the rate is higher or close to the return number, then take a loan out and pay off the Student loan. You may have to reduce your 401k contribution (don't go under 6%). But in doing this method the interest you were paying the bank, you are now paying yourself. As long as the market doesn't return is below your Student Loan interest rate, you've come out ahead.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 06:49:22 AM »
Getting out of debt asap is always the 1st priority and first step to financial freedom.

Welcome to the forum!

Debt is a tool misused by many.  Managed properly, it can significantly accelerate wealth accumulation.  There are several retired millionaires on the forum that still carry mortgages and other forms of debt.  Hang out for a while and learn how it works!

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 07:01:03 AM »
Getting out of debt asap is always the 1st priority and first step to financial freedom.

Gone Fishing was more polite than I will be: Barging into this forum and stating unequivocally that "Getting out of debt asap is always the 1st priority" is dead wrong.  Low-interest debt can be a powerful tool for expediting financial freedom. Some people on this forum choose to get debt-free ASAP, while other manage it responsibly. Either road is fine, but rigid platitudes about scary, evil debt are incorrect and unwelcome here.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 07:21:01 AM »
My vote is that you don't take money out of your 401k either by withdrawal or by loan.  The withdrawal has tax penalties already covered.  Loans are a dangerous option.  If you lose your job, many plans require you to immediately repay the loan or have the balance treated as a withdrawal.  If you don't have the money sitting around to do that, you are sitting on a tax liability that you also don't have the cash to pay since the money went into the SL.

I suggest listening to Laura33 and therethere.  I also agree with Gone Fishing that a case study will help people give you better advice.

Good luck!

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 08:53:59 AM »
I disagree with so many people in this thread. Getting out of debt asap is always the 1st priority and first step to financial freedom. So two options.

Not always correct. I'm ahead 9k (just in earnings v interest) by contributing to a brokerage account with extra cash versus sending it to my student loans. This is over 4 years, and includes the recent market downturn. I followed the investment rules and paid off all my loans >5%. After that I just paid the minimums on my remaining loans and threw extra cash into a brokerage in VTSAX. By doing so, I now have extra cash in a brokerage fund that I could use should an opportunity come my way or use for a house downpayment, cash to payoff my loans in full today if I wanted, and a much larger 401k balance, and have saved almost 20k on taxes.

So are your statement is not one size fits all.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 09:33:26 AM »

Oh please.  I took out a 15-year mortgage at 2.875% in October 2010.  Since that time, the S&P500 has returned an annualized average of over 12.5%.  So by putting my extra income in the stock market instead of prepaying that mortgage, I have earned almost 10%/year more than what I paid in "interest I could have avoided through prepayment."

Was it a risk?  Of course -- any kind of leverage always is.  But I figured if the stock market didn't do better than 2.875% over the next 15 years, then our economy/nation had much more serious issues that wouldn't let me retire anyway.

There is no "safe" path -- only balancing one risk against another.  Maintaining low-interest debt while using extra money to invest in a broad stock market index fund is a very, very low-risk bet.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 09:37:14 AM »
Take pencil and paper to all your options and see which one you will end up with /benefit the most from and make your decision that way.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 09:50:43 AM »
Max out 401k.  Get creative to pay off student loans IF refinancing isn't an option.
Also, emergency fund comes before any of it.  Based on this question, it seems you may be new to all of this (which is FINE!) but you may want to do a case study and read around first.

Read the investment order and follow it.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 09:57:02 AM »

Apparently Dave Ramsey is in the house....

So which should be paid off first, three 500$ minimum payment student loans at 3.8% interest or a 800$ minimum payment Credit Card at 24.86%?....  I'll wait for a reply.

Dave isn't a financial prophet, he is a shill who helps the masses (overall) by giving generic advice and cashing in on back door kickbacks of mutual funds.  His advice is great for a big-spender who spends 110% of their earnings each year, but is total crap for anyone who is willing to actually work towards financial freedom efficiently.  ...Oh, and he charges $130 for a small book, some DVDs and some volunteer's time (who isn't paid, btw).  Total cost for materials is about 15 bucks but he charges $130 per kit...  And the site host / volunteering is all given for free. You tell me if that's ethical towards someone who is trying to get their financial life together.

Friggin fleecing the flock.

/end rant.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 10:56:28 AM »

Apparently Dave Ramsey is in the house....

So which should be paid off first, three 500$ minimum payment student loans at 3.8% interest or a 800$ minimum payment Credit Card at 24.86%?....  I'll wait for a reply.

Dave isn't a financial prophet, he is a shill who helps the masses (overall) by giving generic advice and cashing in on back door kickbacks of mutual funds.  His advice is great for a big-spender who spends 110% of their earnings each year, but is total crap for anyone who is willing to actually work towards financial freedom efficiently.  ...Oh, and he charges $130 for a small book, some DVDs and some volunteer's time (who isn't paid, btw).  Total cost for materials is about 15 bucks but he charges $130 per kit...  And the site host / volunteering is all given for free. You tell me if that's ethical towards someone who is trying to get their financial life together.

Friggin fleecing the flock.

/end rant.

Hear! Hear!

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 02:30:35 PM »
Interest on student loans is 6.5%.

If I set my contribution down to 6% (full employer match) it would give me about $330 per paycheck/$660 per month (pre tax?).

If you can't get a lower interest rate by refinancing, and can't/won't find the money to pay off the loans early elsewhere, then this is what I would do in your situation.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!