Author Topic: Take the Money and Run?  (Read 4627 times)

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
Take the Money and Run?
« on: May 07, 2015, 03:44:00 AM »
Does money have the same value no matter what age you are?

Recently I've been playing around with cFIREsim.com and maximizemysocialsecurity.com looking at various scenarios and trying to decide what kind of future I want for my family and myself.

One part of me says, live now. Quit working, travel around the world while we're still young enough we can enjoy the adventure. Take SS benefits as soon as possible, as this will take pressure off of our investments, allowing them to continue growing and hopefully last for our entire lives with a bunch of money left over for our daughter after my wife and I are dead.

Another part of me says, I should keep working for a few more years, save more money, delay taking SS until my wife and I are 70 years old to get the maximum benefits. Delay doing the things we want to do now so that later on, when we're in our 70's, 80's and 90's we'll have a more comfortable, secure retirement.

A while ago, an old boss told me about a book he'd read which described the 3 stages of (traditional) retirement as the "go-go years", the "slow-go years," and the "no-go years." He said that in the early "go-go" years retirees were still relatively young and healthy and they spent the most money on satisfying a pent up demand for fun trips, toys, etc. During the "slow-go" years of retirement, my boss said, retirees began to travel and play less, therefore spending less money, but medical expenses tended to go up a bit. Later on, during the "no-go" years, retirees mostly sat on porches in rocking chairs or laid in hospital beds, hardly spending any money on fun things but spending lots of money on medical expenses.

As I crunch the numbers for my own family's retirement plans, we have to decide what's best for us. Should we delay taking SS benefits until we're in our 70's and 80's? Will the extra money matter as much to us then as it will if we take the money in our 50's and 60's, while we're still healthy and young enough that we can use the extra money to travel and live a better lifestyle than we may feel comfortable with if we're having to withdraw all of the money to fund our adventures from our investments?

Our decisions about how to move forward with our lives can't help but be influenced by our life experiences and the scenarios we've seen played out in our own families. Right now my soon to be 74 year old father is dying of cancer. He doesn't have much in the way of retirement savings, but it wouldn't matter if he had millions of dollars well invested, because he isn't spending anything right now. He barely has enough energy to get out of bed and go for a ride with me into town, once a week or so, to go to Subway to get his favorite sandwich. Mostly he just sits in his room and watches tv.

Recently my wife went to visit 2 of her elderly aunts who she hadn't seen in a while. Both aunts are in assisted living facilities. Apparently the younger of my wife's two aunts, who's in her late 80's, had a little more retirement savings and/or a bigger pension, and she lives in a "really nice" facility. The other aunt, who's in her early 90's lives in an assisted living facility that's not quite as nice as her sister's, but it doesn't really matter too much because she doesn't seem to really know where she is or who is visiting her anyway....

Just curious if any other members have pondered these questions as well and how you've decided to live your lives? Spend money now and enjoy ER? Wait, save more money, delay taking SS, live frugally in ER, so that you'll have even more money when you're 70+ years old?

money beard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Take the Money and Run?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:19:18 AM »
>
when we're in our 70's, 80's and 90's we'll have a more comfortable, secure retirement.

How do you know you will live until your 90's? 

I think the financially more prudent move, certainly the safer move is to work a few more years.

That being said, you might have a heart attack at age 68.  Your wife could get cancer at 72.  Bad things happen for no reason sometimes and none of us know how long we have here.  Your father's situation (sorry about that by the way) demonstrates this.

I would lean towards retiring as soon as you can.  Then when you are in your 60s, take a look at your financial situation and decide each year if you can delay taking SS.  Delay it if you can without eating into the principal on your portfolio.  But, if you are going to start eating into principal, I'd take it a little early if it lets your portfolio continue growing.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 07:38:44 AM »
Delay doing the things we want to do now so that later on, when we're in our 70's, 80's and 90's we'll have a more comfortable, secure retirement.

A couple thoughts:

1. I met a guy that FIRED after working 6yrs. He was a multi-millionaire when I met him in his late 50's. I asked him if there was anything he regretted about his life to that point. His reply was only a few dreams that he wanted to realize when he was 30-40 that he could no longer enjoy 20yrs later. He wished he had taken the time to make them happen when the moment was right in his life.

2. You could die or have a life changing medical issue/accident at any moment.

Personally this is driving me to switch to part-time work so that I can get things done while I am more likely to be alive and in good health. Despite that meaning I'll end up working longer before I can quit 100%.

If I was in your shoes I spend time with the family and travel now as long as there is a FIRE plan in place that looks reasonable.

-- Vik

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 06:09:15 PM »
I struggle with these same questions. I'd love to use that SS tool, but not worth the cost to me. I'll continue to poke around on my own and run the numbers. I really want to travel and I'm hoping I'll be healthy enough to enjoy it when I finally FIRE.

surfhb

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 06:21:08 PM »
Delay doing the things we want to do now so that later on, when we're in our 70's, 80's and 90's we'll have a more comfortable, secure retirement.

A couple thoughts:

1. I met a guy that FIRED after working 6yrs. He was a multi-millionaire when I met him in his late 50's. I asked him if there was anything he regretted about his life to that point. His reply was only a few dreams that he wanted to realize when he was 30-40 that he could no longer enjoy 20yrs later. He wished he had taken the time to make them happen when the moment was right in his life.

Im curious what things a 30-40 year old can do what a 50-60 year old cannot?     

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
I have thought about this a lot.  My mom was diagnosed with stage four terminal cancer three days after her sixty-fifth birthday.  She was due to retire in two months.  She was dead six weeks to the day after the diagnosis.

My husband and I have been trying to balance living for today and planning for tomorrow keeping my mom's example in mind.  We could work a little longer, travel a little less today and have more money for tomorrow, but I don't want to take that risk.  We will retire as soon as we feel comfortable doing it (me at 51, him at 60).  We could have a little more money if we waited a couple more years, but we will have enough to get by, so why risk waiting and regretting it?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 11:21:33 PM »

A couple thoughts:

Im curious what things a 30-40 year old can do what a 50-60 year old cannot?   

I'm curious why he didn't do them when he was that age--it wasn't from working, because it sounds like he FIRE'd in his late 20s, maybe mid-30s at latest (with only a 6-year working career).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 02:41:13 AM »
I would lean towards retiring as soon as you can.  Then when you are in your 60s, take a look at your financial situation and decide each year if you can delay taking SS.  Delay it if you can without eating into the principal on your portfolio.  But, if you are going to start eating into principal, I'd take it a little early if it lets your portfolio continue growing.

This is what we're planning: Put off taking SS as long as possible, but take the money and run as soon as we feel like we need it.

Pooja Sharma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 05:31:00 AM »
One part of me says, live now. Quit working, travel around the world while we're still young enough we can enjoy the adventure.

Don't you think you really require money for world tour? OR you have a jack? Trust me I'm in if you have a jack

Another part of me says, I should keep working for a few more years, save more money, delay taking SS until my wife and I are 70 years old to get the maximum benefits. Delay doing the things we want to do now so that later on, when we're in our 70's, 80's and 90's we'll have a more comfortable, secure retirement.

You can still enjoy your life if you don't worry about your & yours daughter's benefits too much