Author Topic: Stupidly simple improvements on common items  (Read 7271 times)

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
Stupidly simple improvements on common items
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:11:52 PM »
I was realizing today that there are a number of simple things I change to every day tools/utensils that make them much nicer to work with.  The sort of thing the manufacturer could do if they spent another few cents.  In this particular case, I was coring jalapenos so I could later stuff them with cheese.  I was using a cheap peeler/corer and the tip wasn't sharpened.  Few strokes of a file and a couple strokes on a stone and I was whipping thru the task. I started thinking about gardening implements.  I never knew to sharpen them until I inherited a relative's old hoe and realized over a lifetime he had sharpened away about half the blade!  But sharpening it make it much easier to use.  Same with a shovel.  Sanding the handles off and applying linseed oil also  makes such tools easier on your hands.

In a similar vein, I've put magnets on my oil filters in my vehicles.  If you cut one apart later you will dark packs of extremely fine metal "dust" where the magnets were.  Certainly doesn't help your engine to have those particles wearing out your bearings and cylinder walls.  Just remember to remove the magnets if you are paying for an oil/filter change!  Lost a few when the techs just threw them out with the old filter!

What do you make simple improvements to that results in the item being better or more pleasurable to use?

Leanthree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Stupidly simple improvements on common items
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »
Pour beer or soda from the can/bottle into a glass. It lets the nose in on the taste.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 04:27:38 PM »
Put meat over fire before eating.

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 04:28:38 PM »
I have on occasion used a piece of cardboard as a dust pan while sweeping the back patio.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 04:51:25 PM »
All oatmeal raisin cookies should be chocolate chip cookies instead.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 04:52:37 PM »

I have friends who hate oatmeal raisin cookies not because of how they taste, but because they look similar to their much preferred chocolate chip cookies.

I gladly took oatmeal raisin cookies off their hands, as I much prefer them to chocolate chip cookies

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 04:54:04 PM »
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are even better.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 04:56:14 PM »

I have friends who hate oatmeal raisin cookies not because of how they taste, but because they look similar to their much preferred chocolate chip cookies.

I gladly took oatmeal raisin cookies off their hands, as I much prefer them to chocolate chip cookies

Hahaha I think we found your "black Jellybeans"
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/what-are-your-'black-jelly-beans'/

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 04:57:31 PM »
I walked into a bed bath and beyond a few months ago looking for a simple cheap pepper grinder. I found the 35$ grinders, then I found the 45$ grinders, then I looked around thinking there must be cheaper ones somewhere nearby... nope the 35$ one was the cheap grinder.

So I bought a 5$ disposable pepper grinder at stop and shop. I'm going to drill a hole in it to refill with bulk peppercorns I bought already for smoking meat. Anyway I don't walk into bed bath and beyond anymore.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 05:04:49 PM »

Post of the day   :)

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 05:29:16 PM »
So I bought a 5$ disposable pepper grinder at stop and shop.

I always salt anything I pepper, and most of the time vice versa. I thought how awesome it would be to have both in one appliance. Went on Amazon. Lo and behold!
www.amazon.com/Millbrook-Salt-Pepper-Grinder-Set/dp/B00PL17VIM/

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »

Blasphemy! Of course, I'm a weirdo who hates chocolate, so I'm probably in the minority here.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 07:24:10 PM »

Hahaha I think we found your "black Jellybeans"
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/what-are-your-'black-jelly-beans'/

Ha! I thought of posting this exact swap in that thread earlier. Johnny and I know what' s up.

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 07:52:32 PM »

Don't they charge more for it if they don't cook it?  They do with fish.  Sort of like not putting chemicals in natural products or sugar in diet foods.  Also fabric with bikinis--they cost more the less fabric they use...

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 07:54:33 PM »
Never expected this thread to take a culinary detour... Mustachians must be a hungry bunch!  Need to spend a couple more $$ on food you guys!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 09:44:32 AM »
I wrap some duct tape and electrical tape around the two most often used wrenches in my tool box (duct on one, elec. on the other).
It makes them easy to tell apart from the other wrenches and keeps the tape handy for when I need a little.

I put a piece of water pipe insulating foam over the handle of my floor jack so it won't scratch the paint of the car if it contacts.

I put a piece of bright duct tape (a 3" flap) at the ends of long extension cords so I can easily find the ends.

I put bike handlebar tape on my lawnmower handle for a bit of cushion and grip.  I also have a piece of cord going from the exit chute to the handle bar so I can raise the chute for going close to things on that side w/o having to turn the mower around.  I also have a piece of velcro cable keeper on the handlebar so I can 'hold' the lever that keeps the engine running when I need to move something out of the way.

I cleaned out the inside of my cars oil filler cap and painted the inside white - now I can easily see it when I change the oil.  EVERYTHING in an engine compartment these days is the same dull, dark gray plastic.

A piece of plumbing pipe over a ratchet handle turns it into a high leverage wrench- but I have bent cheap ratchets...

I put a (big) drop of silicone glue on the button of my alarm clock that shuts off the alarm in the morning - I turned the radio upside down as the glue dried.  Now I can easily find and press that button from any position or orientation in the bed without looking (which would require my glasses) or pressing the button right next to it that turns the alarm off totally (which I did, twice).

I'm sure I've done more...  it's just how I am.

oinkette

• Stubble
  • Well behaved women rarely make history.
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 10:01:37 AM »

On that note: Put nuts in ALL cookies.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »

Don't they charge more for it if they don't cook it?  They do with fish.  Sort of like not putting chemicals in natural products or sugar in diet foods.  Also fabric with bikinis--they cost more the less fabric they use...

Yes, but in both cases usually the raw version is more expensive because you have to have a higher grade product because cooking isn't an option to cover subpar flavor/safety issues.

http://www.bonappetit.com/trends/article/15-raw-meat-dishes-from-around-the-world

Also, covered the gap between the car seat and the console so crap doesn't fall down there never to be seen again.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 11:44:41 AM »
I save the squirt caps from salad dressing bottles to use on the brands I purchase that don't come with one, this prevents me from super-soaking my salad every time and wasting all the extra dressing.

mschaus

• Stubble
    • blog
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 09:23:14 AM »
Two amazing products for makers to modify and improve your stuff:

1. Sugru -- self-setting rubber which at first glance sounds like silicone caulk or something but it is so easy to work with, easy to remove, and sticks to many more materials. Comes in colors, too. Great for adding grips to things or for repairs.
https://sugru.com/

2. Instamorph -- hard plastic beads that soften in hot water. When they cool they maintain their new shape and are pretty hard, and can even be sanded/drilled/etc. I've made brackets and children's toys. To reuse, just heat again!
https://www.instamorph.com/

Happy making!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 10:13:03 AM »
Combing my hair.

Putting cheese on almost anything.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 10:58:37 AM »
Plugged in a power cutoff device (~$12 Walmart) between garage door opener and adjacent elec outlet.  Comes with a remote control kept in the car.  When leaving the house, after the garage door has closed, kill the power to the opener using the remote.  Prevents remote opening by garage door hacker, which happened to a friend.  Once the thieves get inside the garage, they're able to wreak havoc, even use your own tools to get inside your house.  Became paranoid about it after what happened to my friend.

The remote can control up to 3 outlets.  Also use it to turn on a radio in the garage while away.  May deter a thief if he thinks someone is home.

Sojourner

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »
Plastic bag in freezer where we put kitchen waste that would otherwise start to smell if placed in the trashcan.  Only dry, inert items in the trashcan, no sugary sweets, etc.  Wait until trash day morning to put the frozen kitchen waste in the outdoor trash receptacle for pick up.  Eliminates smelly cans, ants, flies/maggots, and other vermin from being interested in the trash receptacle. 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
A hitch and a small utility trailer turn just about any car into a small truck.