Author Topic: Stupid Work Rules...Rant & Question  (Read 46746 times)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
Re: Stupid Work Rules...Rant & Question
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2015, 01:40:03 PM »
I only get 40 paid days off a year =(

The unionized employees where I work (which I will be after my probationary period ends) only get one week paid vacation, and that's only after we've been there for one year.

Yikes! Sounds like your union needs to do some more negotiating of your terms!

Does PTO increase significantly with each year of service?

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2015, 02:26:42 PM »
At my old job, we had "Jeans Friday." Not casual Friday - only Jeans. And not every Friday - every other Friday.

When I started, I would ignore this event. Then my coworkers would constantly squeal about how I forgot Jeans Friday.

I was puzzled about why I would care about Jeans Friday. Jeans are no more or less comfortable than my regular work slacks. Furthermore, I didn't own any work appropriate jeans (they were all a little ratty).

It soon became clear that I was viewed as not being a team player and not participating in the "fun" of Jeans Friday. So eventually, I had to go purchase a new pair of jeans so that I could wear them every other Friday and pretend to be excited about this gift from management.

When they go to recruiting events, it's one of the things they tell the hopefuls at the universities - "What we do for fun: Jeans Friday! Every other Friday!" When I left, I told them that they really should stop saying that, because it makes them sound like the lamest people on Earth.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2015, 02:43:03 PM »
only Jeans"
?  raises eyebrow in approved Roger Moore 007 manner
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 05:12:33 PM by nobodyspecial »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2015, 02:47:30 PM »
I've always felt that in the summer, jeans are no particular reward since they're heavier, and therefore hotter, than some lightweight dress pants. 

the_fella

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »
I only get 40 paid days off a year =(

The unionized employees where I work (which I will be after my probationary period ends) only get one week paid vacation, and that's only after we've been there for one year.

Yikes! Sounds like your union needs to do some more negotiating of your terms!

Does PTO increase significantly with each year of service?

Not that I'm aware of. Though I will have to check the employee handbook again. I will also look through the union contract.

Edit: After reading the union contract, yes, the PTO does increase with seniority.

1 year - 1 week
3 years - 2 weeks
7 years - 3 weeks
14 years - 4 weeks
18 years - 5 weeks
25 years - 6 weeks
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:51:00 PM by the_fella »

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
I've always felt that in the summer, jeans are no particular reward since they're heavier, and therefore hotter, than some lightweight dress pants.
+1

Down here "dress" (clean, no holes) shorts are the uniform of the day.  My favorite contractor wears shorts year round on the job.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
Yes.  I'm an obedient little robot too.  It would be a shame to shotoned
No French cuffs
No contrasting buttons
No contrasting cuffs/collars
No Mandarin collars
No monograms
No cuff links
No pocket protectors

I am sure others here can come up with some more creative suggestions.

Or, you could now tackle the bottom half of your uniform
No cargo pants...w your employer the same level of disrespect they show you . . .  *rolls eyes*

Not following a stupid dress code is absolutely different than not doing the work your are paid to do.

No it isn't. You agree to follow their rules.  No matter how stupid you think they are.  If you don't like them work on getting them changed.  If you don't want to be a robot and don't follow them, then don't.  Don't complain when you get terminated, or passed over for a promotion or higher raise.

That you is a general you, not you specifically.

And if your employer shows you disrespect, then you can leave just as easily.  Unless of course you need them for the salary or health care or whatever.

They are paying you to be part of a team and perform a job function.   Being part of a team means complying with team rules.  Some of them you may not like.

I guess if your kids thought a rule was stupid and disregarded it you would find that ok?

Nah.  That's silly reasoning.  First of all, all employers show you disrespect.  It's built into working for a living.  You are prostituting yourself to less talented people for cash.  There's no respect in that scenario at all.  I need money to live, so will continue whoring myself out until I don't need to any more.

When I signed the employment contract it didn't say anything about stupid rules for making employees play dress up.  The rules of our employment have changed several times since I've been at my current company.  Without employee input (remember that this is a no respect situation - employment).

You got a driver's licence.  Have you ever exceeded the speed limit in your car because it's an acceptable risk, or simply because you weren't paying attention?  Same deal with work.  You place your bets and you takes your chances.  If dress code is going to be a firing offence, cool.  That's on them.  If they're happy with me ignoring stupid rules because of the work I do, cool.  That's on me.

I'd absolutely be OK with my kid giving me shit about a patently stupid rule created simply to enforce my power over another.  We're all human and make mistakes, without having them brought to your attention you're doomed to keep repeating them.  Even your beloved clothing managers.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2015, 06:00:30 PM »
I believe that many, maybe most of these rules exist because a manager was afraid to call someone out.
We have been informed of some new rules lately - no slow cookers allowed in the cubes, no eating or drinking in the lobby, and no applying nail polish.

See, there was one lady who apparently started giving herself pedicures during her break, and the smell overpowered the office ambience.
Instead of management saying, "Hey, stop that now" (they witnessed this behavior!), there was an official amendment to the rules.

Sigh. At my job, if anyone has fleas, we're ALL going to get a flea bath.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2015, 10:08:34 PM »
Some of the governance of my high school was in the jurisdiction of the students. A rule that came in and out of being at various times was a ban on making microwave popcorn, because people tended to burn it and it stank up the space. (Said high school was pretty tiny.) Seems about on par with the nail polish thing. I think "don't apply nail polish at work" isn't a bad rule, honestly; I can't think of a GOOD reason to apply nail polish at work and in general work is not the place for in-depth personal grooming.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2015, 06:49:12 AM »
The University Library I worked at collected a $50 fine if you were caught popping popcorn (it went to the staff party fund).  If you burned popcorn and the firetrucks deployed, you had to pay the fine yourself (it was something like $1,200).

Every single microwave in that place had a "no popcorn" sign outlining the costs.

It was HUGE issue, because if popcorn burned, the smoke alarms went off and we had to evacuate a massive building filled with staff and students.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2015, 07:58:42 AM »
+1

Down here "dress" (clean, no holes) shorts are the uniform of the day.  My favorite contractor wears shorts year round on the job.
Precisely.  Why in the hell would I want to wear jeans when it's 95 degrees outside with 60% humidity?  I'd much rather wear a lightweight pair of khakis.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:09 AM »
Dress code at my work boils down to polo and khakis at the minimum.  But, our department's boss has a higher dress code (no polos, must be a button down dress shirt) so "we show signs of authority over other departments".  As all stupid rules must be challenged, a coworker and I have been working on "updating his policy".  Over the last 4 months we've 'helped' the manager add (through emails to our entire department): No Hawaiian shirts, no short sleeve shirts, no rolled sleeves, no cut-off sleeves/must be long sleeve shirts, no giant boats/cars/etc on your shirt, no cartoon characters, only solids and simple patterns, no "puffy shifts".

Only issue is we've run out of ideas on how to help him shape his dress code.  Thrift stores only have so many items.

Also, we both keep extra shirts at work and now the boss stops by randomly and just shakes his head and says "Change, come on, how do you think that is acceptable." He seems to have an open mind about it (and the fact that we don't do it if customers are in house) and knows that we'll change if it really bugs him (or he'll make me wear the homer simpson head shirt all day - including during a presentation I had to give to our VP).

How about:
Cuffs must be buttoned
No French cuffs
No contrasting buttons
No Mandarin collars
No monograms
No cuff links
No pocket protectors

No cargo pants...

I like your style.  going to over starch my cuffs tonight and see how that goes. 

Tried the cuff links/French cuff before, boss actually liked them (had a nice shirt on to have the cuff link cut outs).  I've also done a tux (rented it for a wedding the weekend before), he was fine with that as well.  So he doesn't shoot down everything.

Love the buttons idea.  I need to find an old bag of massive brass buttons.  I think that will pair nicely with a nice navy blue shirt.

Mandarin collars - I'll keep an eye out for one at the thrift store.  This is a good idea.

Pocket protectors - I'm an engineer, there are a lot of pocket protectors here.  That wouldn't get knocked off.

Thanks for the ideas, I need to regain the lead over my friend.  He's up 2 points right now.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »
Nah.  That's silly reasoning.  First of all, all employers show you disrespect.  It's built into working for a living.  You are prostituting yourself to less talented people for cash.  There's no respect in that scenario at all.  I need money to live, so will continue whoring myself out until I don't need to any more.

You are a bitter and angry dude. 

2lazy2retire

« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2015, 09:13:10 AM »
Anyone here involved in promoting these team building type exercises. Is there any evidence to show that they are productive. My only guess is that the do provide a form of bonding as pretty much everyone who does them can agree on one thing, that its a load of bollix, but why do management not see this?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2015, 09:22:05 AM »

You are a bitter and angry dude.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
Anyone here involved in promoting these team building type exercises. Is there any evidence to show that they are productive. My only guess is that the do provide a form of bonding as pretty much everyone who does them can agree on one thing, that its a load of bollix, but why do management not see this?
I don't understand why anyone thinks team building exercises are necessary or a good idea.  If people want to hang out together, then they'll do that without management telling them they have to.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2015, 01:40:03 PM »
Dress code at my work boils down to polo and khakis at the minimum.  But, our department's boss has a higher dress code (no polos, must be a button down dress shirt) so "we show signs of authority over other departments".  As all stupid rules must be challenged, a coworker and I have been working on "updating his policy".  Over the last 4 months we've 'helped' the manager add (through emails to our entire department): No Hawaiian shirts, no short sleeve shirts, no rolled sleeves, no cut-off sleeves/must be long sleeve shirts, no giant boats/cars/etc on your shirt, no cartoon characters, only solids and simple patterns, no "puffy shifts".

Only issue is we've run out of ideas on how to help him shape his dress code.  Thrift stores only have so many items.

Also, we both keep extra shirts at work and now the boss stops by randomly and just shakes his head and says "Change, come on, how do you think that is acceptable." He seems to have an open mind about it (and the fact that we don't do it if customers are in house) and knows that we'll change if it really bugs him (or he'll make me wear the homer simpson head shirt all day - including during a presentation I had to give to our VP).

How about:
Cuffs must be buttoned
No French cuffs
No contrasting buttons
No Mandarin collars
No monograms
No cuff links
No pocket protectors

No cargo pants...

I like your style.  going to over starch my cuffs tonight and see how that goes. 

Tried the cuff links/French cuff before, boss actually liked them (had a nice shirt on to have the cuff link cut outs).  I've also done a tux (rented it for a wedding the weekend before), he was fine with that as well.  So he doesn't shoot down everything.

Love the buttons idea.  I need to find an old bag of massive brass buttons.  I think that will pair nicely with a nice navy blue shirt.

Mandarin collars - I'll keep an eye out for one at the thrift store.  This is a good idea.

Pocket protectors - I'm an engineer, there are a lot of pocket protectors here.  That wouldn't get knocked off.

Thanks for the ideas, I need to regain the lead over my friend.  He's up 2 points right now.

Psst.... Vests, think leather, fur, or Christmas themed!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2015, 05:12:04 AM »
The only ones I am familiar with are the Survival ones - they really show group dynamics at work.  They can reinforce that a group is doing things well, or show up dysfunctional behaviour very quickly.
http://www.humansynergistics.com/Products/TeamBuildingSimulations/SurvivalSeries

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2015, 05:33:40 AM »
I don't understand why anyone thinks team building exercises are necessary or a good idea.  If people want to hang out together, then they'll do that without management telling them they have to.

My employer just decided we need to have a mandatory team bonding evening BBQ. Not with clients. Just to bond with the people we work with 9 hours a day. There are under a dozen of us in the office, so it's not like we aren't well acquainted. Efforts to explain that this is very difficult for anyone with evening commitments or who pays for childcare (surprisingly, we don't pay our nanny to work until 9 pm...) fell on deaf ears.

Yes, I have to tolerate various attempts at this as well. It's small, cross-departmental, and involves a few individuals who pretty actively hate each other, so it's a barrel of fun. I tolerate this during working hours, but they have been scheduling some of these in the evenings. Thankfully I missed the last one that actually happened since I was out of town. Since then there have been repeated unsuccessful attempts to schedule another one. I just heard that they will be trying to have another one of these fun little evening get togethers for "team building" in the next few months.

The two people who keep persisting in this don't seem to fully understand that a) a few of these people have a real deep-seated hatred of each other based upon past events, b) even the people not actively involved in the circle of hate feel uncomfortable being in a small room with the circle of hate, and c) for the work to get done, this group of people really doesn't need to be getting together . . . ever.

2lazy2retire

« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2015, 05:51:22 AM »

My employer just decided we need to have a mandatory team bonding evening BBQ. Not with clients. Just to bond with the people we work with 9 hours a day. There are under a dozen of us in the office, so it's not like we aren't well acquainted. Efforts to explain that this is very difficult for anyone with evening commitments or who pays for childcare (surprisingly, we don't pay our nanny to work until 9 pm...) fell on deaf ears.

Yes, I have to tolerate various attempts at this as well. It's small, cross-departmental, and involves a few individuals who pretty actively hate each other, so it's a barrel of fun. I tolerate this during working hours, but they have been scheduling some of these in the evenings. Thankfully I missed the last one that actually happened since I was out of town. Since then there have been repeated unsuccessful attempts to schedule another one. I just heard that they will be trying to have another one of these fun little evening get togethers for "team building" in the next few months.

The two people who keep persisting in this don't seem to fully understand that a) a few of these people have a real deep-seated hatred of each other based upon past events, b) even the people not actively involved in the circle of hate feel uncomfortable being in a small room with the circle of hate, and c) for the work to get done, this group of people really doesn't need to be getting together . . . ever.

Maybe the two people who are persisting are just devious bastards who are hoping for it to kick off big time in the circle of hate?

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2015, 05:57:24 AM »
^Meh, the organizers seem to know a bit about the circle of hate, but think that a pot luck dinner can make all of the difference.

At least I haven't been told what to wear to these unfortunate events.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2015, 06:34:43 AM »
My current workplace is not bad about such nonsense. Some years back, though, I worked at a place that was quite busy around the holidays and the management decided to have a potluck Thanksgiving lunch for bonding/appreciation (not sure how appreciated it makes me feel to bring my own food, but OK). Everyone pulled out the stops and brought delicious homemade specialties from their ethnic background or treats from the favorite bakery, etc All great...until management decided this was too "disorganized" or the smells from the crockpots were too strong or something...so the next year a list is provided and everyone is to sign up for a dish. The problem is that the list is not just "dessert vs salad" but specifies a 1960s Midwestern Thanksgiving menu down to the pumpkin pie and macaroni salad. Most of our very diverse staff  didn't know how to make that food (or didn't care to) so they just went out to the grocery store and bought the cheapest variation of whatever (or fought over the "paper plate" assignment.) I did cook from scratch but went out of my way to make the weirdest variation that I could invent of my item. That was the last Thanksgiving potluck.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2015, 06:36:23 AM »
Our office has a dress code, but it is only enforced under extreme circumstances - like the time a coworker showed up dressed as a German beer-maid for Halloween. Everyone in the office got a view of her taint, and it t'aint perty.

The challenge we face with dress codes is that our staff are expected to move fluidly between many environments including heavy construction, boardroom meetings with developers/architects, public information sessions where rotten vegetables are thrown at them, warehouse environments, and the standard cube farm. This means everyone has high-vis orange vests/jackets/parkas at their desks, as well as wearing formal business attire, and wear business casual as a standard.

Our management team have fought us for 5 years on the need for even 1 high-vis orange parka for winter work. I've been fighting to get one to be shared by the 7 of us in our department since I started to no avail. Finally this past winter I just went out and bought one and hung it in the staff equipment closet. Frostbite isn't worth it, and as the foreperson I'll be on the hook when the health and safety claim comes in for not having equipment available to assigned staff. Its size XXL and most of us swim in it, but at least its available.

I regularly get complaints from my guys that they ruined their pants/jacket/whatever on some greasy piece of equipment and my response tends to be stop trying to look like an executive - buy some cheap-ass khakis at a thrift store and dress for the middle of the road. Of course then I'm running down the image of our section, etc. and I'm asked why we don't dress more professionally.

The other clothing grief our guys have is that while the official policy calls for new work boots every year or as needed, our team rarely wear them out. So management tells us to wait a year since the boots don't look like they are in bad shape, quoting the 'or as needed' piece. Trouble is that boots can get really uncomfortable/sweaty/smelly after a while, and need replacing - on a $100 budget you aren't getting work boots that can last. I have yet to break through to management that we need some change in the administration of the policy.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2015, 06:42:41 AM »
^Meh, the organizers seem to know a bit about the circle of hate, but think that a pot luck dinner can make all of the difference.

Our group's experience is the polar opposite to the sentiments here. I regularly get requests from my staff for employee events like going bowling/skiing/family days, etc. My staff really want to be more than just a work group, but management quashes the events with surprising regularity. In response to this, I went ahead and hosted a BBQ in my backyard for families and kids after work one day. Every single member of my team arrived, kids in tow, and had a good time. I provided the basics (Meat, Salad, buns, Potatoes) and they brought additional sides and desserts. We made sure to keep managers out of the loop until afterwards. The sentiments from my team were that we should make sure to do it again, just no one say anything to the bosses.

Shortly after that event, my team's morning startup meetings were moved to right beside our manager's cube.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2015, 06:59:05 AM »
Sounds like you lead an awesome group!

My Dad worked for years as a musician and he'd always say that you could tell what a gig would be like the minute you met the catering/events/restaurant manager. If he or she came off as a self-centered, controlling jerk, then for sure all of the waitstaff and cooks would be miserable and the gig would suck. If he or she was really positive, then the staff would be bouncing around singing and everyone would be having fun (including patrons.)

Ridiculous dress codes and mandatory evening events no one wants to attend come from the jerky bosses.
Fun while getting a bunch of work done and a group's desire to get together more often come from good bosses.

The challenge you have is that the jerky bosses are jealous that your people are so obviously happy. They think that you being a good boss makes them look bad because the other employees are so relatively miserable. Their people don't want to hang out with them or each other after hours, and they know it, and deep down inside it pisses them off. And so they will claw at you and say your group isn't serious enough, that all your people want to do is party, or some other BS.

Good luck to you!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2015, 07:18:50 AM »
At my old job, we had "Jeans Friday." Not casual Friday - only Jeans. And not every Friday - every other Friday.

When I started, I would ignore this event. Then my coworkers would constantly squeal about how I forgot Jeans Friday.

I was puzzled about why I would care about Jeans Friday. Jeans are no more or less comfortable than my regular work slacks. Furthermore, I didn't own any work appropriate jeans (they were all a little ratty).

It soon became clear that I was viewed as not being a team player and not participating in the "fun" of Jeans Friday. So eventually, I had to go purchase a new pair of jeans so that I could wear them every other Friday and pretend to be excited about this gift from management.

When they go to recruiting events, it's one of the things they tell the hopefuls at the universities - "What we do for fun: Jeans Friday! Every other Friday!" When I left, I told them that they really should stop saying that, because it makes them sound like the lamest people on Earth.

Ha ha ha. This made me laugh. Also a CPA, I used to work at a firm which was penguin suits Mon-Thu followed up with Casual Friday, only casual friday was really "business casual" friday so required it's whole own wardrobe. Urgh.
Now I work somewhere with business casual, and casual fridays which are pretty casual (no boardshorts, but most other things ok) - I tend to just wear my business casual all the time as it's less hassle and saves buying work appropriate casual clothes. (Once I eliminate too short/tight/punk rock there isn't much left ha ha ha).

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2015, 07:32:13 AM »
We got a terrible new boss 5 years ago.  He's the worst.  Somehow he thinks inviting everyone over to his house for a Christmas get-together and then all of going to a Christmas play (A Territorial Christmas Carol) in a town that's an hour from our home is a good thing to do.  So he started doing it four years ago and has done it (going to the same play) every year since! 

We went the first year but left the play early because it was going to take so long to get home.  There was nothing we could eat (we're vegan) at their house so we were starving when we got home over an hour past when we normally go to bed.  The good thing is the company paid for the play tickets but seriously... it's the same play every year.

Since that first year, we've always had other plans on whatever evening they have this get-together as soon as it's announced.  Since it's Christmas time, it's easy enough to come up with somewhere else we've already committed to being.  It's all I can do to be with some of these people during the day.  I sure don't want to spend any of my time with them.  I'm sure I'm looked down on for not being at this company function but I've never cared about that.  I'm glad I'm not one of the young up and comers who has to go to this just to be seen as being a team player.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2015, 07:37:31 AM »
Sounds like you lead an awesome group!

Ridiculous dress codes and mandatory evening events no one wants to attend come from the jerky bosses.
Fun while getting a bunch of work done and a group's desire to get together more often come from good bosses.

Thanks - my guys are a bit dysfunctional, but we are trying to raise the bar and have a good time. In a government office, that's not easy to pull off.

I learned a lot about leading a group from one of my previous employers in Engineering Consulting. Often the owner of the company would walk up to your cube and ask how your project was coming along, then ask if you were up for a game of Pool/bubble hockey/Foosball.

In the lunchroom we had one of each game, and he would go in there and shoot pool or whatever for half an hour or more while talking about how your work was coming and what was important to him and you in the project. Playing a game while talking took out all the employee-boss stress, and allowed you to speak more freely. It really changed the dynamic of the meeting, and made the staff far more open to suggestions/criticism/demands than a boss leaning on your cube wall droning on about the client's expectations.

Managers and project leads picked up on this, and it wasn't long before regular meetings were held around the game tables. I remember project kickoff meetings where leads were chosen based on 'whoever scores next.' We had nights where - after hours - they would put Quake or Doom or whatever on the servers and the entire staff would play until everyone was exhausted (I'm not a gamer, so I wasn't part of this group, but it made for good talk the next day). We had a poker tournament going for a while, there was a Toastmasters club, a ski club, annual weekend Canoe trips, etc. No one was expected to join in any of the events/groups, but everyone was welcome to come out if they wanted to. This was a company with 50 staff that more than doubled its size in 4 years, expanding from one office to 5 or 6, each with a similar compliment of staff. It was a fantastic environment, until the company was sold and the new management immediately put an end to game playing/cultural events/etc. There was a massive exodus just because of the change in corporate culture.

In my current role, I've tried to emulate some of those activities, in a 'lite version' but when I suggested using the boardroom projector to air a movie over lunch break, or have a project meeting around an outside picnic table, it was clear these were huge leaps that were too far outside the rut for these guys to accept.

To my current bosses' credit we do have an annual 'employee appreciation' lunch. They serve roast beef sandwiches and cesar salad in the parking lot.

I now drone on as more-or-less one of the drones.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 07:45:26 AM by Prospector »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2015, 08:51:27 AM »

The training consultant started this thing where we're supposed to unscramble letters into an auditing related term along with our team.

1. I'm terrible at that sort of thing.
2. In theory, we're busy enough that we don't have 5 minutes to do this (I'm not, but hoping that'll change soon).
3. The audit terms they're using are public accounting auditing. We're internal audit. And while some people came out of public, about half the department didn't and thus have no reasonable expectation of knowing these terms.
4. She's being really peppy and enthusiastic about this. I hate peppy and enthusiastic.
5. We're spread out over multiple offices, in 2 time zones.

Can you tell I'm not happy about it?

2lazy2retire

« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2015, 10:46:22 AM »

Our group's experience is the polar opposite to the sentiments here. I regularly get requests from my staff for employee events like going bowling/skiing/family days, etc. My staff really want to be more than just a work group, but management quashes the events with surprising regularity. In response to this, I went ahead and hosted a BBQ in my backyard for families and kids after work one day. Every single member of my team arrived, kids in tow, and had a good time. I provided the basics (Meat, Salad, buns, Potatoes) and they brought additional sides and desserts. We made sure to keep managers out of the loop until afterwards. The sentiments from my team were that we should make sure to do it again, just no one say anything to the bosses.

Shortly after that event, my team's morning startup meetings were moved to right beside our manager's cube.

"We made sure to keep managers out of the loop until afterwards" - who invited you then?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »

"We made sure to keep managers out of the loop until afterwards" - who invited you then?

I'm a senior tech - sortof a lead hand bridging between mgmt and union. All the authority of a regular worker, all the responsibility of a manager.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2015, 01:51:12 PM »
I'm a senior tech - sortof a lead hand bridging between mgmt and union. All the authority of a regular worker, all the responsibility of a manager.
Been there, bought the t-shirt.
Overtime? but you're a manager. Incidentally you didn't get approval to buy that $5 USB key to copy the fix to the server at midnight.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:06:08 AM by nobodyspecial »

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2015, 08:41:27 AM »
On the trail of food related events and stupid rules.

A few years back, management decided to have an ice cream social day! Yippie!  They/VPs bought 5 different 2.5gal buckets of ice cream (for a 150 person company) and lots of toppings (sprinkles, nuts, cookie crumbs, hot fudge, whip cream, cherries, etc).  Corporate came in last minute, so they passed off running the social to HR.  Once HR took control of passing out the ice cream, of course they had to put a bunch of rules in place, b/c well they are HR.

Rules emailed as "Rules for today's Ice cream Social" sent 30minutes before the event (with some extra 'guidelines' added by me):
-1 scoop is the normal, you can ask for a second, but it has to be the same flavor (because people don't like having more than 1 flavor).
-HR does scoops, no self-serve (and they will be super small, like a 3yr would even think it was small)
-only 2 toppings (again served by HR, so think like 1/2 a teaspoon of sprinkles. And yes, a cherry counts as a topping)
-no going back in line (even after everyone has gone through and over 90% is left)
-must eat in the nearby break room (no going back to your cube, staying in the hallway, outside, or the other much larger break room not near the HR area)

HR was surprised that only 30-40 people showed up (even after sending 3 reminder emails during the 45minute 'event'). Best was one guy took his 'scoop' as a single shot and offered the spoon back to HR since it wasn't used 'due to the small size'

That said, of the 12.5 gal of ice cream, about 10+ was left and 90% of the toppings.  All of the extra was just put in the break room freezer.  HR told off a few different people (myself included) that tried to get seconds later that day (normal rule is once the event is done and it goes into the break room fridge/freezer, company food is free game, just be respectful).

3 days later, when one of the VPs wanted to put his lunch in the freezer and there was no space since people couldn't eat the ice cream, he took all the ice cream out, reset up the toppings and sent an email blast that the rest of the ice cream was out and no rules were in place this time. Everyone really seemed to like that 2nd ice cream social. None of it was left an hour later and you had a happier workforce. I saw a line of 50+ people when I went (I was one of the first 10, because free ice cream).

Funny how when you take HR and stupid rules for the sake of rules out, people enjoy stuff better.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2015, 05:00:31 PM »
We have a team of engineers who are required to enter their time weekly.  Into.  Three.  Different.  Time-Tracking.  Systems.  With.  Three.  Different.  Sets.  Of.  Rules.

And every Monday, the project manager runs a report and highlights the engineers who have screwed up entering their time, and sends it out to the managers to make sure to follow up and teach the engineers how to enter their time properly.

And they don't get why I don't want to be a manager any more.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2015, 08:15:38 PM »
^^Awesome ice cream story. "Rules" for an ice cream social is pretty over the top.

^I used to have to deal with one of those time tracking systems with arbitrary rules like all time must add up to 40 hours (no more and no less) even though there are only active project codes in the system and no other codes for half of the stuff the company expected employees to do in the 40 hours (like mandatory safety meetings, cleaning and calibrating equipment, etc.)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2015, 03:53:53 AM »
I rebel with my fashion too. I wear corporate attire in bright as fck colours!!! No one can complain because the cuts and styles are professional but I buy the loudest stuff possible. It's fun walking into a room of black , grey and navy in a hot pink pencil skirt and a striped blouse. :-)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2015, 11:34:25 AM »
It's fun walking into a room of black , grey and navy in a hot pink pencil skirt and a striped blouse. :-)
Especially if you are the judge - and a man.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2015, 06:18:10 PM »
Ha ha. I work in a super male dominated business, most of the other females dress like men, which is cool, kudos to them, but I figure I am loud and happy anyway which seems to work in my favour (I always know what is going on in the business before anyone else does because I make the effort to talk to people and this actually helps me do better in my job) so I might as well dress loud and happy too :-) and as far as I know no one is talking behind my back about it being innappropriate (unlike one girl who literally wear clubbing clothes to the office, super short skirts, low cut tops etc). Plus I want to bring some colour into grey cubicle land because no one else does.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2015, 06:47:12 PM »
Ha ha. I work in a super male dominated business, most of the other females dress like men, which is cool, kudos to them, but I figure I am loud and happy anyway which seems to work in my favour (I always know what is going on in the business before anyone else does because I make the effort to talk to people and this actually helps me do better in my job) so I might as well dress loud and happy too :-) and as far as I know no one is talking behind my back about it being innappropriate (unlike one girl who literally wear clubbing clothes to the office, super short skirts, low cut tops etc). Plus I want to bring some colour into grey cubicle land because no one else does.

Grey cubicle land? You mean there is an alternative to taupe?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2015, 08:34:23 PM »

Grey cubicle land? You mean there is an alternative to taupe?

OMG! Sounds like a wild party cube sort of place! Grey is thinking completely outside of the box!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »
Nice. If you came to my desk I would give you a cat post it note for sure.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »
OMG - I once got a set of those novelty post it notes (on clearance) that had things like "Urgent",  "Dire", "Annoying" etc. as headers on them. I used them to mark up reports I was reviewing. You would have thought the world was ending to see the responses they got.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2015, 05:30:50 AM »
NYC is always so much like a funeral. I allove aye wear lighter pants and various colored dress shirts. Today is a bit plain (light blue), but other days, I'll wear shirts with a flannel pattern on them. I also wear black sneakers despite the rule not to because no one says anything, my shoes are under my desk, and sneakers are way better anyways if you're allowed jeans casual and don't like jeans.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2015, 06:48:57 AM »
The company where I work is pretty chill by comparison to some of these places!
I only have to wear shoes when I face the customers and I can do 6 minutes of mobility work for every hour I am working and nobody bats an eye.
Our boss is infamous though for issuing company wide policies after one person fucks up.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2015, 09:12:09 AM »
I only have to wear shoes when I face the customers
No shirt, no shoes, no software !

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2015, 09:32:25 AM »
I only have to wear shoes when I face the customers
No shirt, no shoes, no software !

When Google wants to interview you, they encourage you to go to a class they hold about the interviewing process so there aren't nasty surprises the day of. When my husband was there, some fellow with a foot tall purple mohawk asked about the dress code and was told, "The dress code is that you must wear clothes."

I wonder what incident inspired that particular rule.
I think that's hilarious. Feel bad for the coworkers who had to witness the reason that rule was enacted, though...

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »
NYC is always so much like a funeral. I allove aye wear lighter pants and various colored dress shirts. Today is a bit plain (light blue), but other days, I'll wear shirts with a flannel pattern on them. I also wear black sneakers despite the rule not to because no one says anything, my shoes are under my desk, and sneakers are way better anyways if you're allowed jeans casual and don't like jeans.

I read an article about regional differences in clothing once. Apparently chain stores send more black garments to NYC than other places. I came here and my first thought was, "I HAVE FOUND MY TRIBE." I love black.

NYC is not a good fit for me apparently. On the other hand, I'm a mustachian so screw convention, I'm going to wear something with a bit of color. Seriously though, winter is so bad. 90% of people here wear black or grey during that part of the year. Just makes winter more miserable!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »

When I arrived in a QA testing company, our staff manual had a section on grooming, which stated that employées were recommended to change clothes when they're dirty, take showers at least every other day, and brush their teeth at least once per day.
The following year, they added that when you change clothes, the new clothes should be clean.
I kid you not.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »

When I arrived in a QA testing company, our staff manual had a section on grooming, which stated that employées were recommended to change clothes when they're dirty, take showers at least every other day, and brush their teeth at least once per day.
The following year, they added that when you change clothes, the new clothes should be clean.
I kid you not.

Thou shalt not be a hobo.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2015, 10:24:50 AM »

I read an article about regional differences in clothing once. Apparently chain stores send more black garments to NYC than other places. I came here and my first thought was, "I HAVE FOUND MY TRIBE." I love black.

NYC is not a good fit for me apparently. On the other hand, I'm a mustachian so screw convention, I'm going to wear something with a bit of color. Seriously though, winter is so bad. 90% of people here wear black or grey during that part of the year. Just makes winter more miserable!
I'm from Chicago so maybe it is an urban thing. remember multiple weddings, where except of course for the bride all the female were wearing black (hey it goes with everything, has a slimming effect). When I moved down south I realized how much black clothing I had. Although I think it I look good in black, was not compatible with the warm humid weather, or the fashion culture and have shifted to more light colored clothes.