Author Topic: Stuck in that famiar place..broke.  (Read 46514 times)

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
Re: Stuck in that famiar place..broke.
« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2016, 07:55:38 AM »
We can cheer him on, hold his hand...aren't we about friendly facepunching here?

This OP is such a beautiful 'before' picture - hopeless, frustrated, resistant,  complainypants, defensive...he is going to look back in 6 months and shake his head at the 'old' him. 

At least that's what I did.  For me it was:
"But I love my car!"
"But I hate phoning for better rates; how different can they be anyway?"
"But I love my Starbucks;  what's  $5 here and there?"
"I don't have time for a second job."
"I deserve..."
and blah, blah, blah.

Let me tell ya, the 'after' picture is SO MUCH BETTER and so worth it! 
One step at time, you can do this.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #201 on: November 09, 2016, 08:30:10 AM »
Ever wonder how the 80% below you are managing?
  I often ask myself a question similar to this when I am feeling squeezed, especially when i realize that those 80% also live in bigger houses than me and drive newer cars . . .

poorboyrichman

• Stubble
« Reply #202 on: November 09, 2016, 12:53:46 PM »
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/

Read the 21 day makeover, all links in the left side bar near the bottom of the page, and implement all of these immediately. The author retired after 7 years earning less than you.

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE:2017 "Without music, life would be a mistake.
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2017, 11:44:49 AM »
Been on hold with Verizon for over an hour. I've called twice and finally made a decision. We decided to stay with Verizon and get a plan that will run us about $100 a month. That will give us plenty of data and unlimited talk and text to use and they combined our lines under one account. For Some reason we had two separate accounts.

Baby Steps.

It may still be ridiculous to you all, but we just saved ourselves over $100 a month. I'm excited about that. Since There is no contract, maybe we can bump down a few plan notches again in a few months if we see that we are not using the data. We have wifi at home and that's all good, we will just have to get disciplined and actually start using it.

Excellent work on reducing your expenses! Keep up the great work -- you will get there and all the changes you're actively making will increase your margin of safety (financial security) in your life.

I just wanted to let you know that your creation of this thread inspired me to write this post:
http://www.financiallypossible.com/getting-unstuck/

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2017, 08:10:34 PM »
Dang, you brought this thread back from the dead. The OP is probably spending money somewhere.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2017, 12:43:49 PM »
First, I remember your first thread from some time ago, and I still hear many of the same underlying issues:  Excuses.  Mainly, an unwillingness to make changes, even when those changes would be solidly in your best interest.  Is it really unwillingness?  Or is it indecisiveness?  I don't know, but I suggest that you make a goal to change ONE THING per week, or one thing every two weeks ... really, how many weeks have gone by while you've done nothing?  This is totally do-able, but you've gotta take steps in the right direction. 

Thoughts: 

- I understand the T-Mobile's no good here thing.  We have that same situation, and that's why we're with Verizon ... but the difference is that we can afford it.  Your real choices are:  1) Stay with Verizon and sink deeper into debt every month, or 2) Go with a sub-standard carrier, and it's one step towards working your way back to financial stability. 

- Your wife needs to get a job either as a school lunch lady OR a school bus driver.  Why?  Did you say she's earning about 22K/year?  I just looked it up, and -- if the internet's telling the truth -- a lunch lady makes about 20K/year and a bus driver makes more like 26/year.  BUT ... that's for 10 months of work, and she'd be included in the state pension program.  I think your youngest is starting school soon, right?  So a job with the school system would mean she'd be off when they're off ... big savings in terms of money AND in terms of shuttling here and there /finding day care.  I know, you said grandma is helping now, but you can't assume that'll continue indefinitely.  This money, summers off, and being in the pension program would be a step up for your wife. 

- I doubt your record keeping.  How could you possibly use 5 gallons of laundry detergent in three months?  I make about one gallon, and it lasts me six months.  Having said that, I do agree with the poster who says it's premature optimization.  How much were you spending on laundry detergent?  $10/month, maybe?  If so, then the maximum you could save by making laundry detergent is $10/month ... look at your biggest issues first.  Perhaps that's eating out -- the crock pot meals are a great idea for that.  Another good idea is deli meals from the grocery store (not as cheap as homemade, but also no drinks and tip to pay).  Take care of the big stuff first, then get down to the nitty-gritty stuff like laundry detergent. 

- Get rid of the credit cards.  I know, you say you "need" to keep them in case of an emergency -- but you're IN an emergency!  You need to develop the skill of resourcefulness.  What's the worst thing that could happen if you had no access to those cards?  The reality is that you're too quick to go to money to get yourself out of trouble.  I know you say your wife doesn't spend much on herself -- just on the kids, but realistically, do the kids really NEED much?  Probably not, but if you have credit cards for "emergencies", you'll find things they need. 

- Serious question:  Do you know your Meyers Briggs type?  I think it's quite different from most people's here, and if we knew yours, perhaps we could help more efficiently.  I know that one of my children has a personality type very different from mine, and when I read up on "how she thinks", it helped me understand her thought processes ... it really helped.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2017, 01:46:26 PM »
Dang, you brought this thread back from the dead. The OP is probably spending money somewhere.

People are getting bored since Beatles bailed. ;)

They want a project.

L8_apex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2017, 02:15:50 PM »
www.selectelwireless.com.   $30 per month for 1500 minutes of talk, unlimited text, 1 GB data, caller ID, call waiting, voice mail, on 4G/3G networks (Verizon's).  That $30/month includes taxes.  This is the plan I use and my bill is exactly $30 each month.

The only feature that this company doesn't have/support is call blocking.  So I downloaded a free app for my android phone to take care of that.

OP - how much data and talk minutes are you going through a month now that you're using wireless for the phone at home?

And....   Support is in the USA!!!    (at least every time that I have called)

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2017, 04:01:11 PM »
I know this thread was resurrected, but I'd be curious how OP is doing.

In the meantime, I had been dragging my feet on changing my carrier from AT&T ($72 a month) to some other option, mostly because of some similar reasons - didn't want to risk losing the number I've had for 13 years (it's out of state, so was worried I'd have to take a local number) also some potentially negative reviews of some of the no contract services, and just a few questions about the whole process with no live person to talk to.

But a few comments into this thread I was like, hot damn, I really need to get on that so I ordered my new nano SIM and plan card from Net10 and now I'm set up at $39 a month for unlimited talk, text, data (with a respectable 3g at LTE speed before it drops). Should be more than enough and I wish I had done it when I researched it like three or four months ago. The transfer over was easy peasy and that's $132 I wasted while waiting from the initial motivation to switch.

Should have learned that when I did my car and home insurance switch back in september AND SAVED OVER 1200 DOLLARS A YEAR BECAUSE I WAS TOO LAZY AND HAD NEVER CHECKED RATES SINCE BUYING MY HOME. Now this will just be a yearly thing I look into, because switching insurance was super easy and switching phone carriers was also about 50x easier than I expected. (And I got to keep my number.)

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE:2017 "Without music, life would be a mistake.
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2017, 04:11:34 PM »
I know this thread was resurrected, but I'd be curious how OP is doing.

I reached out to the OP via PM and received the following response:

Quote from: taking fire
I know I seem like a fly by night on that site, but I'm just really busy. The changes we made have helped a lot. Crazy as it sounds, the crock pot meals have literally changed our lives. Since we now have something to eat most days, we never go out to eat like we did. We don't spend money in all sorts of boxed meals because we are buying raw ingredients. It has really helped.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2017, 09:58:21 PM »
Glad the changes have kept up with the family!

Laura Ingalls

• Stubble
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2017, 08:06:33 AM »
I wonder if you are underestimating the cost to your mental health that your commute is putting on you. 

As a survivor of a year of a 144 mile round trip commute it is very stressful.  My stressed out brain struggled to problem solve both at home and at work.  I see some of this in your posts too.

I also think your housing is the (second) biggest issue.  Dh and I have owned three homes in three different states in the last twenty years never had our housing been that high either on a monthly basis or as a percentage of income.  We also lived in a fairly high COL place for a time too (Minneapolis).