Author Topic: Stay far away from the "$199" iphone 6  (Read 6519 times)

jbcivics

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Stay far away from the "$199" iphone 6
« on: September 27, 2014, 08:48:26 AM »
With all the great info on the MMM site about reeling in ridiculous mobile phone plan costs, I thought I'd flag this insightful NYT article on how much the new iPhone 6 really costs. Needless to say, the average unsophisticated consumer gets completely duped out of hundreds of dollars chasing the latest and greatest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/technology/199-apple-iphone-6-is-fiction-if-not-fantasy.html?_r=0

Makes the $299 Moto X on Republic Wireless (or the even cheaper Moto E and Moto G) seem like an even better deal.

surfhb

Re: Stay far away from the "$199" iphone 6
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 11:19:15 AM »
Nice!

I just bought a $20 dumb phone off CL and going to an unlimited text and talk package with my parents which is costing me $29 a month.   Sold my iPhone 5 and bought an iPad mini for my internet fun.    Saves me about a $80 a month.   

Everybody is glued to their phones.....I'm plan not to be a part of it

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »
Cell phone prices are a racket but as this article points out, most Americans are allergic to math.

My last cell phone cost me $140 up front and then $35/month (for unlimited data from Virgin Mobile) and I kept it for almost three years.  My total cost was $1,260 for 32 months, or an average of $39.38/month.

My new cell phone cost me $200 up front but dropped my monthly cost to $24/month (joined my family on Ting).  If I can keep it alive for the same 32 months, my average monthly cost will be $30.25.  I saved $9/month by getting a newer phone on a cheaper plan.

A new iphone 6 on a two year plan will cost you $199 up front but will then cost you $92/month, for a total cost of about $2,400, or roughly three times what my new phone will cost.  That's over $100/month averaged out over the (artificially shortened) 24 month contract life.

If you do the math on the actual monthly cost of your phone and plan, it rapidly becomes clear that what really matters for most people is what you pay for monthly service.  The difference between a $200 phone and a $650 phone is suddenly less important if you're paying $100/month for service because you're getting ripped off so bad anyway.  For people here, many of whom have $10/mo plans, the phone cost is relatively more important and paying $650 for a new iphone 6 doesn't make sense under any circumstances.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »
I am very happy with my $25/month (grandfathered) Virgin Mobile plan with my ZTE Awe I paid $30 for. The only way you will see me with an iPhone is if it is through work.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 05:53:16 PM »
Yeah, here the pricing is different (all plans are $0 upfront but the phone cost is on top of the chosen plan). The pricing model here is designed for you to buy a higher plan than you need (as the subsidies increase the higher the plan you go).

It's often cheaper to buy the same device outright and use it on a SIM-only plan (especially if via an MVNO). Particularly if you plan to continue to use it after the two years is up.

I'd rather not be tied into a carrier for two years. I changed jobs a few months ago, and my phone signal at work with my current carrier is poor. It was fine at my previous workplace, but I'm locked into a contract (for another week), and the cost of the ETC plus any new plan costs is higher than just waiting the contract out.

I'm going to switch to an MVNO with my still-perfectly-good iPhone 5 once the contract ends. My phone costs will drop from $107 per month to $22 per month. Same phone, and enough calls/text/data for my usage (and if I exceed them it'll go to the next tier, Ting style). Looking forward to it :)

I was at a mall the other day (had to take my shoes to the repairers), and the queue for collecting reservations at the Apple Store was huge. Why wait in a line for two hours to be locked into an expensive contract for a phone? It's especially crazy when you think that if they just waited a couple of months, they could just walk in and buy the iPhone there and then.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 08:31:29 PM »
This is outrageous.

My company smartphone with unlimited international data is completely free through my company. But if I had to cover my own phone, I would not be on such a plan.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »
i will just flip it on ebay like I did w/ the iphone 5, and then continue my $65/month via family plan

When I logged into AT&T it showed the 6 as around 400 tho, + the upgrade fee. That will still be a $300+ profit for me

Lordy

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
I just skip a few generations instead of chasing the latest and greatest.

I had an iPhone 4 for a a few years and then upgraded when the 5s came out.
Now I will definitely skip the 6 and the probably the generation after that.

Of course I could use an old Nokia instead but I feel that a smartphone provides
enough value to justify the purchase every few years.

Kind regards,
  Steve

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »
Obfuscating the cost of a smartphone gives people justification for spending tons of money.  They get to tell their friends "I'm only paying $30 a month for this phone hurr durr."  Plus the plan.  Plus data.  Plus everything else, yada yada.  I hear it at work all the time.  I laugh.  I wish I could get them to wake up, but I can't come across as anything but a dick though with sharing my plan with them. 

Nice!

I just bought a $20 dumb phone off CL and going to an unlimited text and talk package with my parents which is costing me $29 a month.   Sold my iPhone 5 and bought an iPad mini for my internet fun.    Saves me about a $80 a month.   

Everybody is glued to their phones.....I'm plan not to be a part of it

Your plan costs a total of $726 for 2 years.  A great plan, better than 99% of people now.  I actually had one similar for 18 months using a $40 dumb phone and Ting.

The current plan I have with Republic now though is costing me $488 for 2 years.  Including the Moto X used at $200.  $10 month plan unlimited talk and text, rounded up to $12 a month with taxes, etc.  One can lower that cost significantly by getting a Defy XT off ebay instead of the Moto X.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »
The current plan I have with Republic now though is costing me $488 for 2 years.  Including the Moto X used at $200.  $10 month plan unlimited talk and text, rounded up to $12 a month with taxes, etc.  One can lower that cost significantly by getting a Defy XT off ebay instead of the Moto X.

John, I know you're Republic slap-happy, but if you're going to act like a shill for them, you could at least get your facts straight. The Defy XT can only use a $19+taxes/month plan, and quite frankly, the difference in call quality and service reliability between the Defy XT and Moto X/G is an even larger (and worse) quality gap than between Republic's services in general and proper mobile carriers.

Obfuscating the cost of a smartphone gives people justification for spending tons of money.  They get to tell their friends "I'm only paying $30 a month for this phone hurr durr."  Plus the plan.  Plus data.  Plus everything else, yada yada.  I hear it at work all the time.

You do realize that Republic is doing the exact same cost obfuscation with their phones, legal agreements, pricing and the services provided, right?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:45:29 AM by I.P. Daley »

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 08:06:26 AM »
Yep, I would rather the cell company just be honest about what your phone and service is costing you.  Some companies are getting a little more transparent, but most of them still try to hide the costs.  But then again, the "monthly" cost strategy has been so successful with a lot of bigger ticket items, furniture, computers, car loans etc....so it is not surprising. 

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 09:14:53 AM »
Just got an iPhone 6 for the wife, she loves it ;)

Life is full of choices. You have to choose how much you want to spend vs save. You have to choose what to buy vs not. My wife develops iOS apps for clients, the profit from even a single app will pay for the 2 year contract. If using an older iPhone she would risk it not working quite right on an iPhone 6... which could cost her future business.

Don't throw out blanket statements like this. Life is a give and take.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
She still would have been better off paying cash for an unlocked one and then going with an MVNO for service.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »
Just got an iPhone 6 for the wife, she loves it ;)

Life is full of choices. You have to choose how much you want to spend vs save. You have to choose what to buy vs not. My wife develops iOS apps for clients, the profit from even a single app will pay for the 2 year contract. If using an older iPhone she would risk it not working quite right on an iPhone 6... which could cost her future business.

Don't throw out blanket statements like this. Life is a give and take.
Well you still chose to spend money you didn't have to. You're getting a crap deal.
On contract $200 + $90*24 = $2,360 ($90/month is what somebody mentioned above. I believe that is correct)
Off contract $650 + $45*24 = $1,730 ($45/month cricket wireless, AT&T LTE service)
Delta = $630
So you could have had the same phone, same service and an extra $630! That's about the same amount I'll spend on my phone plan in 2 years!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:14:47 AM by Scandium »

mxer54

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 10:31:43 AM »
I'm no iphone plan fan but the above is confusing...

90 a month, I'm assuming this is 70 for a plan plus 30 for the data?  How are you assuming you will have a $45 plan if you buy the phone outright?  You still need the plan plus data....so 200 + 90*24 or 650 +90*freedom to quit whenever, right?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 10:43:55 AM »
I'm no iphone plan fan but the above is confusing...

90 a month, I'm assuming this is 70 for a plan plus 30 for the data?  How are you assuming you will have a $45 plan if you buy the phone outright?  You still need the plan plus data....so 200 + 90*24 or 650 +90*freedom to quit whenever, right?

From AT&T website it looks like the 2GB plan is $80 (40 for data + $40 for smartphone on contract)
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#tab3
Plus taxes/fees that's maybe $85 so I was pretty close actually.

Cricket is $45/month for 3GB of data
https://www.cricketwireless.com/moredata
An AT&T GSM carrier so just pop in a SIM (into and unlocked phone, $650 from apple) and ready to go.

They charge you more for an on contract phone, it's financing. You can actually pay less with AT&T of you buy outright, but only $15 less so not worth it. The savings come when you go to cheaper carriers (funny enough cricket is owned by AT&T..)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!