Author Topic: Spreadsheet Collection  (Read 20291 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Spreadsheet Collection
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:16:19 PM »
A lot of people have been uploading spreadsheets & graphs lately to either track their budgets, net worth growth etc etc.

Thought maybe it might be a good idea to have a thread to share all of those spreadsheet templates created.

I'll start with the one I use for my budget. It's a modified version of the simple MS Word one, some of you may recognise the layout.

Few years back I also built a loan repayments calc (this one from scratch) to figure out just how much and how quickly you can save on your P&I loans. Sometimes the results are truly astonishing.

Might upload a few more soon if I can clean them up into something presentable.

enjoy

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
Re: Spreadsheet Collection
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
This is a great idea Marty998 - thanks for sharing - I look forward to checking out the different spreadsheets.

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:29:55 PM »
Thanks for the share.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 10:23:31 AM »
Come on, people, share!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »
My spreadsheets tend to be too individualized to be worth sharing.  Not the data within them, but they all cross link and reference and pull from other spreadsheets - they're much too tied together to be any use alone.  My "Time to FI.xls" spreadsheet, for example, pulls data from four other spreadsheets (a rental analysis, a ymoyl income/expenses, a housing projection, and a net worth one), each of which also pull from each other and others.  I have at least 10, and regularly utilize 5-6 or so, but they're not useful without the whole package, most of which would be irrelevant to other people.

I imagine others are in the same situation - even if the data within were sanitized, they're so specific and individualized they aren't worth sharing.  But it's a nice idea for sharing more "basic" spreadsheets.  I just don't have any to contribute.  :D

There have been a few other good ones posted on these forums (a time to fi sheet, ymoyl sheets, etc.) someone could compile here via linking to those other threads, if so inclined.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
Posting and I hope they can be viewed. It should be noted that i have no idea why i felt the need to budget $120/mo on "hair". I'm also a really big fan of using colors. You'll see in some areas I've formatted things so when i exceed budget the excel box changes color to make it super obvious I'm making a mistake so i can fix it right away. Getting on youtube and learning how to make functions is critical.

2009 book
2008 book
Added this one because i felt my notes were funny and worth sharing. Thas is the one with the color changing fields.
2008 Blank Book

Of course, now i have Mint and have been happily using that since 2010. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:59:01 PM by kisserofsinners »

Crash87

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
This is the sanitized spreadsheet I made/use to track my progress toward FI.

giwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 05:22:17 PM »
I tried to post this a few days ago, but the website was still having issues...

Attached is the (overly complex) spreadsheet I put together a few months ago.

Basically all of the various sheets are related, it allows me to enter every transaction, assign them to a budget category so I can compare actuals to budgeted amounts, perform what-if analysis on spending or income changes, keep track of taxes and pre-tax expenses, and figure out (based on our auto mileage and the going rate for gas) approximately how expensive a car trip would be.

I've used Microsoft Money for years and creating this spreadsheet was a real eye-opener for me.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 05:33:11 PM »

So, if I'm reading this right, column S is your SWR, and (if this weren't sanitized, but actual numbers), you'd be FI somewhere between age 36 (4% SWR) and 39 (3% SWR)?

This of course assumes no big jump in expenses (i.e. spouse, kids, etc.)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »
simple one to track your quarterly bills

Crash87

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »

So, if I'm reading this right, column S is your SWR, and (if this weren't sanitized, but actual numbers), you'd be FI somewhere between age 36 (4% SWR) and 39 (3% SWR)?

This of course assumes no big jump in expenses (i.e. spouse, kids, etc.)

Yep. I make notes in mine off to the side for significant events and have a few more columns to break out specific income sources and expenses. I reattached the FI tracker since I figured out a way to semi-account for taxes on gains in the taxable investments column that were previously unaccounted for.

I also attached mine just because.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 10:58:21 PM »
Come on, people, share!
Does it have to be a spreadsheet, or can you use someone else's code?

http://financialmentor.com/calculator

YAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 07:57:54 AM »
Didn't see it referenced in this thread but vertex42.com has some very helpful spreadsheets for both excel and google spreadsheet.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »
Originally intended for Case Studies but also useful for various quick "what if?" calculations involving many aspects of the tax code: Case Study Spreadsheet updates

See also http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-write-a-%27case-study%27-topic/msg274228/#msg274228 and documentation in the spreadsheet itself for more details.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 07:26:47 PM by MDM »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 10:12:53 PM »
Perhaps useful for Ask a Mustachian Case Studies: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxe0EgraZFRBT2pGYjBEbG1qYlk/edit?usp=sharing

This is not a commercial product.  Take it with as many grains of salt as you can stomach.  It does not begin to cover all possible tax and life situations.  I highly recommend using real commercial software when it comes to your own finances.  Enough disclaimers?

If you (or anyone else) can get some value out of the spreadsheet itself, or any concepts therein, great.  If you find any blatant errors, please PM me.  Or post them for all to see - won't be the first nor last spreadsheet error I'll ever make.  Mister Fancypants has provided some good suggestions already (not included in this version yet).

If one downloads and then opens it, a warning about macros may appear (depends on your Excel settings).  If that bothers you and you don't want to proceed further I don't blame you.  The "macros", however, are merely two Visual Basic functions: one calculates federal taxes for married-filing-jointly, and the other for single filers.

MDM, could you cross-post this with the "How to write a case study" topic? would be very useful info to have in that thread!

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 05:09:46 PM »
MDM, could you cross-post this with the "How to write a case study" topic? would be very useful info to have in that thread!

Done - we'll see how it goes....

babycakes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

NaturallyHappier

• Stubble
  • FIRED 3/10/2017
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 03:11:45 PM »
My spreadsheet is attached.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 03:55:15 PM »
Here's the net worth predictor I've been working on.  It's been "sanitized" and has an example of a single mid-to-high income earner maxing out retirement accounts, and most of it is automatic with manual input/override required in some instances, like changes in income. Reference #s are all editable.  (Let me know if anything isn't clear? I tried to make it more intuitive because my previous iterations had me editing this-that-and-the-other-thing because I didn't make it automatic.)

I like opening a few tabs and experimenting with the difference between renting vs mortgage, income changes, etc. :) Spreadsheets are fun!

Saving in Austin

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 10:12:19 AM »
I downloaded this spread sheet from Suze Orman.

It does a pretty good job of tracking monthly expenses.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 10:35:05 AM »

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2021, 02:24:57 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for sharing these.  I came to them late, and am grateful they're archived here. 

I've always hated working on a budget, and have preferred to simply put as much money into investments as I feel able, and let it grow.  Now that I'm within a few years of FI (I think?), I need to get more specific about what we actually spend, versus what we think we spend.  As my statistician DW says, "It's all about the denominator".  This group of spreadsheets is like the old saying of ,"when the student is ready, the teacher will appear".

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2021, 07:28:13 PM »
Forgot about this thread.  Edited the Case Study Spreadsheet link to point to that thread instead of a specific version.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!