Author Topic: Shopping at Aldi's  (Read 165524 times)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
Re: Shopping at Aldi's
« Reply #450 on: April 29, 2018, 06:19:32 PM »
I'm kinda sad to report a negative thing about Aldi's.
This weeks Aldi's sale flyer has Fusion (brand) Asian frozen chicken for $5.29.
I was miffed, as I had just bought some last week.  Then, I realized I got it for $5.29.  I confirmed this with the receipt (I leave em in the bottom of my reusable shopping bag until there's a handful).
This means that just because something is in their flyer, it isn't always a 'sale' price.
I wonder how many things I've bought thinking it was on sale...

I have noticed this, as well.

pxpaulx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #451 on: April 30, 2018, 05:39:51 AM »
I was miffed, as I had just bought some last week.  Then, I realized I got it for $5.29.  I confirmed this with the receipt (I leave em in the bottom of my reusable shopping bag until there's a handful).
This means that just because something is in their flyer, it isn't always a 'sale' price.

I'm pretty sure this is standard fare, I'd venture to guess at least 75% of their flyer is just showing their regular prices. I've always considered their flyer to be more of a reminder they exist for the local population than an actual display of sale prices...they are already perpetually discounted!

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #452 on: April 30, 2018, 05:41:28 AM »
Eggs at my Aldi have been up to $1.99 for several weeks.  I've been getting them at Walmart in the meantime for about a dollar per dozen.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #453 on: April 30, 2018, 05:47:01 AM »
Eggs at my Aldi have been up to $1.99 for several weeks.  I've been getting them at Walmart in the meantime for about a dollar per dozen.

My Aldi has had them for .99/dozen for the past 2 weeks, and posted a sign apologizing for the price increase.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: April 30, 2018, 06:59:58 AM »

I don't think this is much different from any other grocery store flier.  Aldi has a slightly different sales cycle than the other grocery stores around me.  I have noticed that sometimes I'll get the sale price a few days earlier than when the fliers officially say the sales start.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #455 on: April 30, 2018, 07:03:40 AM »
I have only been to Aldi's a few times and have not found anything outstanding. Maybe mine doesn't do a good job stocking up. The produce area always seems to have nothing and what is left looks unappealing. I bought this 'thing' that looked really good and looked like a filet mignon wrapped in bacon. We cooked it and it was a tough as a boot. I don't buy cookies or sweet cereals so that doesn't interest me. I did buy some frozen fruit. It was okay. I also bought one of their pizza's in the refrigerated section and it was very good. Other than that, I am not a fan. But I do admire those of you who seem to find some good stuff there.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: April 30, 2018, 07:08:58 AM »

Are you in the Midwest?  My Aldi had signs that they are having issues with their supplier and that means they have to charge more for eggs.  Ours are something like $1.87 a dozen right now.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #457 on: April 30, 2018, 07:21:32 AM »

Sorry to say it that bluntly, but this is simply and only your sdupidity. I have never ever seen a sales flyer (not only ALDI but everyone) saying that all items shown are cheaper then usual.

And yes, the discounters like ALDI do show their reduced prices in their flyers - but since they can be as big as 20 pages, of course not all if it can be reduced goods.

Not to mention that most "reduced" prices (again everywhere), or more correctly slashed prices, are just a psycological trick.
They did a test once, made a (clearly visible) slashed price for 0,99$ and the new price 1,99$ and people still bought it like hell.
One of my favorite psychological experiments :D

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #458 on: April 30, 2018, 08:01:38 AM »
Grocery stores do many deceptive things. They will put a 'sale' item next to a non sale item. Sometimes the wording on the can is a little different but the packaging is very similar. They hope you will pick up the wrong one that is not on sale.

When you buy tomatoes on the vine, you are paying for VINE and tomato. The vine you will throw in the garbage and you have paid for it.

Brand names get eye level shelving because the big companies pay for it. Other, just as good products, but are not brand name, get ankle shelving or very high and inconvenient shelving.

Butchers used to be known to leave their knives on the scale and you would get gyped by paying more for your meat due to the extra weight of the knife.

The stores are all laid out so the most shopped for items like milk bread and dairy are in the far corner of the store, thus making you walk thru the whole store to get to the two items you went in for. This multiplies the chances you will buy MORE items than you planned to get.

Sale items are displayed on end caps which makes finding them easier but also sets you up to pick up more than you planned for.

Holiday's are another story. They set up all the holiday crap right as you walk in the door to remind you to BUY. Plus, the holiday crap is spread out thru the store so it hits you in the face every step you make.

Walmart will have the next holiday stuff displayed months in advance. It is just one revolving holiday season after another. They have it all figured out!

PC2K

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #459 on: April 30, 2018, 08:25:34 AM »

When you buy tomatoes on the vine, you are paying for VINE and tomato. The vine you will throw in the garbage and you have paid for it.

But there is the reason why you buy tomato on the Vine; they hold the taste better for longer. Also sometimes you can throw in the vine and scoop in out later, for flavour.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #460 on: April 30, 2018, 08:25:54 AM »
I have only been to Aldi a few times and have not found anything outstanding.. I bought this 'thing' that looked really good and looked like a filet mignon wrapped in bacon. We cooked it and it was a tough as a boot.

I buy most of my meat at Aldi, and I have never purchased that hockey puck of a looking thing. It is far too inexpensive to be a real filet/tenderloin, and I've heard other people find out that there are multiple pieces in that wrapped bacon section. It's really just the scraps of meat that they wrap with bacon and form into a puck. Try other meats, and I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #461 on: April 30, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
I knew it wasn't a filet mignon but someone I knew told me that they had bought it and it was SOOOO good! OMG, it is a hockey puck of shoe leather! I am glad you and others have had good luck at Aldi's but the 5-6 times I have been there have not turned me on. I find what I like at my usual stores. I wish I had a better first impression but didn't. I hear so many good reviews of Aldi.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #462 on: April 30, 2018, 09:23:55 AM »

My Aldi has had them for .99/dozen for the past 2 weeks, and posted a sign apologizing for the price increase.

This is so funny. I wish Aldi was a friend of mine. I mean seriously apologizing for .99 cent eggs.  I was surprised at the price and heard few people talking about how they were glad they didn’t need eggs right now. 

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #463 on: April 30, 2018, 09:39:34 AM »

I don’t see this as a negative thing and it doesn’t bother me. Aldi does so many things right but can’t you please everybody and if this is a way they make money then so be it. It’s a business. I just enjoy the store so much and how they treat their employees, they are always so friendly and knowledgeable. The prices are really great etc. it would take a lot to upset me.

I get my groceries at Costco, base commissary and Aldi. Certain things I’ll buy only at each one and I wish I had shopped at Aldi years ago but only added that in the last year when I became single and my kids left the nest.  It’s perfect now.   

I do enjoy a good Publix or Heb store. But those are only in the south and I’m in the Midwest.  Even then I mostly browsed at the massive selection and stuck to specialty things like guacamole, fire chicken, coffee and key lime pie. Could never afford, or feel good about it,  a full cart of food from just one of those stores.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #464 on: April 30, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »
A lot of stuff in the Aldi flyer is "special offer" - it's not on sale, but when it's gone, it's gone. I pay close attention, because I want to stock up on some of that stuff when it does come through.

My Aldi had blueberries for .75 and cantaloupe for .99 this week, cheaper than the prices in the flyer!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #465 on: April 30, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »
The stores are all laid out so the most shopped for items like milk bread and dairy are in the far corner of the store, thus making you walk thru the whole store to get to the two items you went in for. This multiplies the chances you will buy MORE items than you planned to get.

Generally dairy/ milk is in the back of the store because that's where the refrigerated sections exist.  And the reason they do that is so that the delivery trucks can deliver to the BACK of the store, which is closest to the refrigerated cases.  And milk is one of those things that you want to be FIFO, so that you are loading the milk cases FROM THE BACK so that the customers pick up the older milk that is in the front.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #466 on: April 30, 2018, 02:34:07 PM »

Generally dairy/ milk is in the back of the store because that's where the refrigerated sections exist.  And the reason they do that is so that the delivery trucks can deliver to the BACK of the store, which is closest to the refrigerated cases.  And milk is one of those things that you want to be FIFO, so that you are loading the milk cases FROM THE BACK so that the customers pick up the older milk that is in the front.

Yep. In our local Aldi, the rear-loaded egg and dairy cases are furthest from the public doors because the stockroom and loading docks are at the back corner of the building while the public doors are in the opposite front corner. The other refrigerated cases in our local store are the ones closest to the stockroom doors. Non-refrigerated but perishable produce is next, while non-perishable items are furthest away (i.e., closest to the public doors). It makes sense from a stocking/logistics perspective. And one can always shop with a list and just walk right through the aisle of snacks and cereal.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #468 on: May 01, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »

But there is the reason why you buy tomato on the Vine; they hold the taste better for longer.
The vines, yes. The tomatoes: not.

Why you buy vines now? Because people started to think they are tastier with vines and sellers realized you can get more money by using the vines too. It is the same reason why you sometimes get potatoes or other stuff that has a natural protection in plastic foil: It looks "better" and you can get more money for the same product.

Generally dairy/ milk is in the back of the store because that's where the refrigerated sections exist.
Nah, that is generally in the back because that is where everyone goes to - the milk junkies and the frozen pizza guy.
Unfortunately I don't know the english terms, but I coudl tell you pages of the tricks in German ;)

The stopping zone - the "green" stuff (of course under red light) at the front where people need time and subsequently slow down the rect of their shopping too - means they have more time to "fully realize their shopping potential" as it is called.
The music - carefuly selected and played based on time of day and majority customers at that time.
The smells that are brought to your noses.
The "carelessy" placed palettes.. and so on.

A modern supermarket is more stylized then an opera and more researched then most illnesses.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #469 on: May 01, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »
The vines on tomatoes make it look more home grown than hot house tomatoes. I am guilty of buying them! However, my Mom was a smart cookie and would pull off the vines and leave them behind.

Yes, the grocery stores have it all figured out. However, I despise the Christmas music because we are forced to listen to it everywhere we go. Plus, they start with the music it seems right after Halloween! Give me a BREAK!

I'd say if you need milk and bread go to one of the chain drug stores or a gas station market to avoid all the temptation of the grocery stores. IN and OUT!

Harper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #470 on: May 02, 2018, 04:16:24 AM »
Eggs have been up at my Aldi's too.  $1.99 when I was getting them in the 0.65-0.99 range.  Bummer.  Still slightly cheaper than the grocery store but almost negligible.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #471 on: May 02, 2018, 06:42:14 AM »
I'm in Pa.  Went to my Aldi's yesterday. Cantaloupe was $1.99. It is $1.19 sometimes. Didn't get one. Too high. What I did get was avocado 60 cents. 12 grain bread $1.79 for one loaf.  Split chicken breasts $1.79 per pound, minus $2 off due to exp date. They cooked up pretty tough and flavorless, unfortunately. A pound bag of pretzels is 79 cents. Taste pretty good, too.  1 pound frozen bag of small scallops is $4.99. They are good.  1 pound bag of salmon fillets is $3.79, but they taste bad, so I won't get them again.  Milk is $1.73 per half gallon. 

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #472 on: May 02, 2018, 07:02:01 AM »
Yeah, the chicken breasts are generally very tough and flavorless.  I've found that you can't just cook them up with oil, salt, pepper....  Instead, I add a lot of condiments to it, puree'd mix of tomatoes/onions/garlic/herbs to cook the chicken inside a bunch of things to give it flavor.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #473 on: May 27, 2018, 08:29:12 PM »
I quit buying meat at Aldi early on. It has a weird texture, especially the chicken breasts.

Most recent discovery: the little bottles of pesto sauce, both with (red) and without tomatoes (green). Excellent flavor. I use them in my minestrone soup - fabulous, and at less than $2.00, I'm a happy camper.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: May 28, 2018, 05:48:06 AM »
I quit buying meat at Aldi early on. It has a weird texture, especially the chicken breasts.

Most recent discovery: the little bottles of pesto sauce, both with (red) and without tomatoes (green). Excellent flavor. I use them in my minestrone soup - fabulous, and at less than $2.00, I'm a happy camper.
If I'm thinking about the same thing, the green is traditional basil pesto  and the red is pesto made from sun dried tomatoes. Both are cheap and delicious.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #475 on: May 28, 2018, 05:51:50 AM »
What part of the store do you find these pesto's?

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: May 28, 2018, 06:02:18 AM »

They had to pull it from the shelves for relabeling because it has "nuts".  They'll have it back in the pasta sauce area soon.

scissorbill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #477 on: May 28, 2018, 09:25:30 AM »
When they were in stock I'd find them by the pasta sauces in the canned goods, chips, pasta aisle.

Today I got milk for $1.35/gallon And a large loaf of Pane Turano Italian bread $1 off for $2.69  it makes fantastic grilled cheese and french toast.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #478 on: May 28, 2018, 09:33:08 AM »

But there is the reason why you buy tomato on the Vine; they hold the taste better for longer.
The vines, yes. The tomatoes: not.

Why you buy vines now? Because people started to think they are tastier with vines and sellers realized you can get more money by using the vines too. It is the same reason why you sometimes get potatoes or other stuff that has a natural protection in plastic foil: It looks "better" and you can get more money for the same product.

Generally dairy/ milk is in the back of the store because that's where the refrigerated sections exist.
Nah, that is generally in the back because that is where everyone goes to - the milk junkies and the frozen pizza guy.
Unfortunately I don't know the english terms, but I coudl tell you pages of the tricks in German ;)

The stopping zone - the "green" stuff (of course under red light) at the front where people need time and subsequently slow down the rect of their shopping too - means they have more time to "fully realize their shopping potential" as it is called.
The music - carefuly selected and played based on time of day and majority customers at that time.
The smells that are brought to your noses.
The "carelessy" placed palettes.. and so on.

A modern supermarket is more stylized then an opera and more researched then most illnesses.

https://www.npr.org/2014/08/01/337034378/everyone-goes-to-the-store-to-get-milk-so-whys-it-way-in-the-back

While yes, there is the added benefit of getting people to walk through the store, the original purpose is to keep the cold chain cold.  Saves money.  Less time. Less labor.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #479 on: May 28, 2018, 09:52:58 AM »
Not grocery buys, but we do buy their special buys somewhat often. For example, I bought my mom's hanging basket for her mother's day flowers that I planted myself for $5. Nice metal one with a Coco liner included. I found glass beverage bottles for half off, $3, so I bought 2. Bought stainless steel bottles also half off for $3.50. My son needed summer sandals but I wanted extra toe protection, Aldi had kids summer clogs for $5 each, so I bought a pair for this summer & a pair for next summer. We bought our metal patio set there a year ago, use it all the time and it's still going strong, $75 for a collapsible metal table and 4 stackable metal chairs including cushions.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #480 on: May 29, 2018, 05:21:12 AM »
Their gardening stuff is terrific.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #481 on: May 29, 2018, 07:29:04 AM »
Agree on the garden stuff - I bought my raised bed there, and their organic potting soil was so cheap and still good. Unfortunately, it goes fast, and I missed out on it this year because I have no car and my wheeled cart that I haul stuff home in was already full of groceries. Went back and it was all gone already. Oh well.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #482 on: May 30, 2018, 07:10:43 AM »
Their gardening stuff is terrific.

Agreed!

carolina822

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #483 on: May 30, 2018, 09:45:19 PM »
We stayed at a friend's lake house over the weekend, and their guest bed had an extremely comfortable mattress. I mentioned that I liked it, and she said "I got it at Aldi for 250 bucks - can you believe it?" So, yeah, I'm going to have to start checking out the Aldi to see if they come back in stock.

Eventuality

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #484 on: May 30, 2018, 10:24:04 PM »
I LOVE Aldi! So easy on the wallet and they actually treat their employees well/pay good prices. Love the eggs, cheese, pasta, canned goods, meats, baked goods, yogurt, frozen veggies etc. Pretty much the only thing we don't get there is fresh produce, although sometimes they have avocados and apples that are decent. I tend to go to Lucky's Market for fresh produce - it's fabulous and cheaper than the local grocery store. Plus you can order a beer when you shop if you want!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #485 on: May 31, 2018, 09:08:15 AM »
I am a former LIVE TO EAT person slowly transitioning to an EAT TO LIVE person.

I still enjoy good food, but I simply value my time/energy too much to drive multiple places just for food.  It's amazing that we have so so many choices, and I feel so lucky that I can easily buy good well-rounded meal ingredients... I don't need to allow it to creep into a time-consuming task.  Homemade pizza, rice and veggies, or salad with broiled teriyaki tuna is perfectly good and I'm lucky to have it!!... I don't need to be daydreaming about deli sushi, Lara Bars, or Halo Top ice cream because none of those things really serve my life goals. 

I shop 100% at Aldi and go once every week.  I do order two dry good items 2x/year from amazon in bulk, so I guess maybe I shop 99% at Aldi?

I'm a pescatarian but only eat fish maybe once a month.  I buy Aldi meat because I cook my dogs food from scratch, so I can't speak to the meats (the seafood is fine and doesn't make me sick).  I find everything else I need there, and if it's not there, oh well... I can't have it.  Sure, Kroger has a great selection of alternative sweeteners, but Aldi has honey and agave and that's fine
Aldi has the food that I can survive and thrive on.
It's good enough; I'm not dancing down the grocery aisles in there, but I like most of what I buy there, and the rest is just rounding out proper nutrition for me.
It took me maybe a year or two to fully shift to this mindset, but it's been a great weight lifted off of my shoulders.
Aldi is usually the cheapest.
Aldi usually has what I want.
... and that's good enough.  I throw that crap in my cart, put it in my fridge, and move on with my day.  I can spend that extra hour reading on my front porch, kayaking, or walking my dog.
:)
I love Aldi.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #486 on: May 31, 2018, 05:09:34 PM »
^^^ We love our Aldi around here.

The other night my son and I were leaving Walmart passing people with full carts of food and I commented they could save so much money shopping at Aldi and it was right across the street. He asked me if I could get everything I needed at Aldi only and I said I could but I don’t want to. Costco takes most of my money for meats, toiletries and laundry supplies and a few other things, I love the quality and prices are the same or better. The rest is split between the commissary and Aldi.  Surprisingly the commissary isn’t lower than Aldi but it’s name brand.  I’m ok getting names I don’t know because it’s usually just as good.  My weakness is snack food and I love chips and dip. Commissary will have lays for 2.50 if I’m lucky and helluva good dip for 1.52.  But Aldi chips are .80 cents and their dip is .99 cents. Big difference. 

I don’t work so going out shopping is no big deal to me. 

I got one of their queen mattresses last summer.  So far so good. 200$

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2018, 05:20:17 PM »
My Aldi sent me a $5 off mailer but it isn't valid for a couple more days. I went today to do regular shopping and was getting excited to come back to spend that $5 lol

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #488 on: June 09, 2018, 02:24:10 AM »
I haven't seen an Aldi coupon in about two years. It was a $10 off $xx purchase.

I haven't seen mention of their Journey to India brand Tikka Masala jarred sauce to make a dish very similar to butter chicken. Often during the school year for lunches I'll sous vide a week's worth of chicken breasts, shred them, and stir it all up in this delicious sauce. Poured over cauliflower this makes a delicious low carb meal.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #489 on: June 09, 2018, 11:33:57 AM »
I haven't seen an Aldi coupon in about two years. It was a $10 off $xx purchase.

I haven't seen mention of their Journey to India brand Tikka Masala jarred sauce to make a dish very similar to butter chicken. Often during the school year for lunches I'll sous vide a week's worth of chicken breasts, shred them, and stir it all up in this delicious sauce. Poured over cauliflower this makes a delicious low carb meal.

I use that Tikka Masala sauce every week almost.

Simmer chicken in it. Serve over rice that I cook with indian spices and raisins mixed in........hnnnnngggg

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #490 on: June 09, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »
Never had it. What does it taste like?

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #491 on: June 09, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »
Never had it. What does it taste like?

My take is a tomato based, creamy sauce with indian spices including garam masala (which is a mixture of cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, pepper and cloves). It's delicious, especially the Aldi brand. I've tried some other brands, including one at Aldi made in Poland (???), none as good as the Journey to India brand.

What do you say, 2birds?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #492 on: June 10, 2018, 05:19:40 AM »
My only complaint with Aldis is the 9am opening time. If they opened at 6am i would do close to 100% of my shopping there but as far as value , you cant beat it. Since they dont open at 9am and like to shop in the mornings I find i buy eggs somewhere else unless there under a buck because someone always has them near me for that. I buy meat on sale and plan meals around that so alot of that two is bought elsewhere. They have great turkey burgers and alot of places around me now have the same deal on pizzas so wherever i can get 5 for 10$ is usually where i buy them for the kids. There are two Aldis stores opposite direction of me but both within 5 miles so if it works out cuz they are really nice and have the bakerys in them I will stop. I never go out of my way to grocery shop.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #493 on: June 10, 2018, 05:54:42 AM »
Glad to hear so many of you like Aldi's. I have been in ours maybe 6-7 times and picked up odds and ends. However, I can't feel the love a lot of you find there! I bought some meat that kind of looked like bacon wrapped filet mignon and it was worse than shoe leather. There is no butcher in the store and the fresh veggies are often picked over and what is left looks limp. I don't buy any sweetened cereals or cookies. What products do you buy that you swear by?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #494 on: June 10, 2018, 06:04:52 AM »
I agree @esq !

It's definitely a tomato/cream sauce with Indian spices and has a sweetness and spice to it that's hard to describe in words. VERY delicious.

I saw the convo on eggs upthread, our aldi did temp bump eggs all the way to $1.99/dozen a month or so ago, but they are back to $.88/dozen when I went yesterday.

They also tend to have great prices on meat, especially close dated. I got chicken drumpsticks for $.99/lb and the package had a $1 off sticker on it because it was 2 days till expiry. Snagged a few and froze them.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #495 on: June 10, 2018, 06:26:54 AM »
I've started shopping some at Aldi.

We ysedto live near a Kroger and I miss it. They always had tons of about to expire stuff discounted that kept my bill low.

Now we've moved and I don't have a great normal grocery. I shop some at Costco and some at the coop. Both have only a certain selection, like Aldi.

I will say I've had several misses from Aldi. Just tried the enchilada sauce and it was awful. About ten times more salt than the regular brand at the normal grocery. Definitely won't buy it again.

There is one near my office though, so it is nice to run out over lunch and grab a few things. I've found their bagged salad kits are awesome for potlucks. Slightly fancy, no effort, can stick in work fridge and throw together with almost no effort or advance planning, and have a semi-healthy option.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #496 on: June 10, 2018, 06:33:16 AM »
How big are the bagged salad kits and what did you pay for them. I get a very large salad kit at my local Stop & Shop. I think it is a Dole product and is around 28 oz. It costs $4.99 and depending on kit, one has bacon and seeds and maybe some Chinese noodles. I love the salads. There only seems to be two choices though. One is a sesame Asian salad and the other is called southwest.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #497 on: June 10, 2018, 06:56:54 AM »
Glad to hear so many of you like Aldi's. I have been in ours maybe 6-7 times and picked up odds and ends. However, I can't feel the love a lot of you find there! I bought some meat that kind of looked like bacon wrapped filet mignon and it was worse than shoe leather. There is no butcher in the store and the fresh veggies are often picked over and what is left looks limp. I don't buy any sweetened cereals or cookies. What products do you buy that you swear by?

I feel like I’ve answered this before (I definitely remember the complaint about the bacon-wrapped meat but I don’t buythings like that), but here goes: bacon, pork shoulder, grass-fed ground beef, chicken, frozen vegetables, frozen fruit, frozen seafood (the wild-caught salmon fillets are excellent), canned tomatoes and beans, rice, dry beans, masa harina (for tortillas), paper products, half-and-half, eggs, cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, hard cheese, butter, deli meat, olives, mayonnaise, coffee beans, tea bags, sugar, baking powder/soda, dried herbs/spices, mustard, hot sauce, tortilla chips, salsa, pesto, gluten-free pasta (best I’ve found), wine, pistachios, citrus fruit (amazing navel oranges in winter), apples, bagged spinach, scallions, cabbage, onions, cilantro (fresher here than at other local grocers), carrots, celery...

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #498 on: June 10, 2018, 07:34:12 AM »
The only meat i buy at Aldi is bacon and Black Forest ham. The fresh meat just seems to have a weird texture to me.

Eggs seem to have settled at $1.39. Last year around this time they were around 89 cents. Eating low carb we go through a lot of eggs.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #499 on: June 10, 2018, 08:14:38 AM »
I get cold cuts (honey ham $3.19/lb), cheeses ($1.99/8oz), mixed greens ($.89/package), dry rice, dry beans, eggs, ice cream bars ($1.99/12), Plain FF Greek yogurt (use instead of sour cream, super high protein), Fit & Active whole gain bread, 80/20 ground beef, chicken drumsticks (they taste fine to me, I BBQ them with dry rub), guacamole, butternut squash, their BBQ sauces, Tikka Masala simmering sauce, ketchup/mustard, pickles, olives, jalapeno peppers, fresh mushrooms, baby carrots, cucumbers.

Their hummus isn't bad (but not great)

Then they rotate a "produce of the week" which can be a great deal. I usually stock up on one or two of those items. Last week it was sweet corn @ $.15/ear, this week 16oz strawberries for $.99, etc.

We also get some sweets there. I like PB cups when I MTB and they are $1.25 for 8. They have rotating seasonal imported chocolates and other goods too.