Author Topic: Shopping at Aldi's  (Read 165291 times)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Shopping at Aldi's
« Reply #350 on: May 02, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »
Okay, we've got a new Aldi's and I've seen multiple people say their wine was pretty decent.

We tried the cheapest (Winking Owl) in both a red and a white and... it was just awful.  We are NOT wine snobs by any measure.  We mostly drink inexpensive box wines.  Any recommendation on what Aldi wines are good?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #351 on: May 02, 2017, 12:44:56 PM »
I'm actually fine with the Winking Owl, but I put ice cubes in my wine, so...

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #352 on: May 02, 2017, 01:11:27 PM »
Aldi's has not become a regular thing for me yet. Tried it several times, very hit or miss. The potato chips were fine, the English muffins, they could have been mistaken for cardboard. Cheese we get at Costco, wife is particular about cheddar, though Aldi's seems to have great prices on that. Bulk spices were cheap. The high end chocolate was good, but I don't buy that weekly. Vegetables and fruit were less than appealing the couple of times I have checked.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #353 on: May 03, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »
We loving Winking Owl, too. :)

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: May 03, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »

My names Paul and I'm so cheap my friends have called me dirtPaul and I would say $4-5 red wine is disgusting. Much better to have it half as often and buy a good $10-$12 bottle. Might I recommend 19 crimes Red Blend from Australia. Normally around $11 a bottle. My sister owns a bar so I get it wholesale but would gladly pay $11. Chardonnays and Pinot Grigio a can be pretty good in the $6-7 range. But if you can palate it then good for you.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #355 on: May 03, 2017, 06:38:33 PM »
Aldi is great but does anyone else find the flat noodles are terrible? Like egg noodles and lasagna? They seem to break into tiny pieces very easily.

Do you mean when dry or cooked?  Dry, their egg noodles break as easily as egg noodles from any other store for me.  Their lasagna seems to have the ruffled edge break off in one long strip, but that isn't a problem for us (and I don't recall how other stores' lasagna noodles behave).

ND

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #356 on: May 03, 2017, 08:19:58 PM »
The produce I've bought there has been fine.  I was not a fan of the beef or cheese, though.  I mainly just get canned food there, though, since I don't like to spend time cooking.

I like their policy of not using plastic bags.  I can stuff a dozen cans in my own cloth bag and not have to worry about it breaking, and my bags zip shut so stuff won't roll around in the car.

fiftyincher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #357 on: May 04, 2017, 12:10:39 PM »
Aldi is great but does anyone else find the flat noodles are terrible? Like egg noodles and lasagna? They seem to break into tiny pieces very easily.

Do you mean when dry or cooked?  Dry, their egg noodles break as easily as egg noodles from any other store for me.  Their lasagna seems to have the ruffled edge break off in one long strip, but that isn't a problem for us (and I don't recall how other stores' lasagna noodles behave).

Dry they're not any different, but I've had a bag of egg noodles turn to crap and a box of lasagna noodles too when cooked.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #358 on: May 04, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »

Dry they're not any different, but I've had a bag of egg noodles turn to crap and a box of lasagna noodles too when cooked.

Whaaaat?  How does that even happen?  I am assuming you are doing standard cooking things, like shortening the cooking time and salting the water...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #359 on: May 08, 2017, 11:20:48 AM »
DW saw a list of ALDI olive oils that are blended with veggie oils and other oils. Haven't fact checked.

fiftyincher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #360 on: May 08, 2017, 01:47:40 PM »
Whaaaat?  How does that even happen?  I am assuming you are doing standard cooking things, like shortening the cooking time and salting the water...

Yeah, I know. I have no idea but it's happened twice now. Never had issues with any other noodles so it's not something I'm doing. As they cooked they basically turned into what you might think a bag noodles that had been crushed would look like. Except, they looked normal going into the water??

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: May 08, 2017, 02:28:42 PM »
DW saw a list of ALDI olive oils that are blended with veggie oils and other oils. Haven't fact checked.
Wouldn't surprise me. From what I've read, "adulteration" is rampant in the imported olive oil biz. Even if the retail brand owner believes they're buying the real deal, who knows what the upstream suppliers are up to? These days I generally buy domestic (California) EVOO, preferably from a brand that's closely tied to the source.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #362 on: May 08, 2017, 06:35:12 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me. From what I've read, "adulteration" is rampant in the imported olive oil biz. Even if the retail brand owner believes they're buying the real deal, who knows what the upstream suppliers are up to? These days I generally buy domestic (California) EVOO, preferably from a brand that's closely tied to the source.
I read somewhere that some Co.s even ship EVOO from other countries to Italy and then to the US so they can put 'From Italy' on the label.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #363 on: May 08, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »
Can someone explain how returns work? Do you go to a cashier?

Husband and SIL had the following winking owl reviews:
Chardonnay: OK. SIL would buy again
Cabernet sauvignon: it was fine for a $3 wine
Shiraz: poured down the sink. Undrinkable.

I don't think DH will be willing to drink any of them again.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:01:08 PM by iowajes »

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #364 on: May 08, 2017, 09:11:13 PM »

In my experience, yes, you have to get in line and return to a cashier.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #365 on: May 09, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »

Yep, we just went up to a cashier. One time the cashier had to get a manager but overall, its very smooth. I was so impressed with how easy and hassle-free they made it. Makes me much more likely to buy stuff from there because I can trust they will take care of me if something goes wrong. I loved that little food processor I had to return - waiting for them to come back in stock!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #366 on: May 12, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »

Yep, we just went up to a cashier. One time the cashier had to get a manager but overall, its very smooth. I was so impressed with how easy and hassle-free they made it. Makes me much more likely to buy stuff from there because I can trust they will take care of me if something goes wrong. I loved that little food processor I had to return - waiting for them to come back in stock!

Same here.  Get in line for a cashier, say "I have a return," and (if you still have it) hand over your receipt and the item.  I would recommend that you go at a less-busy time, if possible, as the return process takes longer than a purchase and will make people behind you impatient.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #367 on: May 13, 2017, 12:17:33 AM »
No idea when a less busy time is... I've never seen the parking lot anything but packed.

I tried 2:00 on a work day and it was still full. I had an unhappy baby, so decided the $3 wasn't worth it and threw it away. :(

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #368 on: May 14, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
No idea when a less busy time is... I've never seen the parking lot anything but packed.

I tried 2:00 on a work day and it was still full. I had an unhappy baby, so decided the $3 wasn't worth it and threw it away. :(

Aww, I'm sorry.  I think it is the first Friday in the month that is most busy around here.  Also, any time near lunch or when people just start getting out of work.  It's always at least somewhat busy, but sometimes it is just CRAMMED with people near the evening rush hour, lunch hours, and that one Friday.  So, if I were to aim for a less-busy time, I would try the morning of a Tuesday or something.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #369 on: May 14, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
The best times for any store just about is around 9:30am - 11:30 am. Most folks are at work and you can get in and out with no troubles. It's mostly older folks or moms with toddlers/babies around that time - but very, very light.

After that, you're going to run into folks trying to get stuff done on their lunch break, then all the mom/dads that pick up their kids after school and are trying to get the weekly shopping done, and then through the early evening hours you'll have the after work crowds hit. I would not venture into a store between noon-8pm unless absolutely necessary, or I didn't have any specific plans to be anywhere anyway.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #370 on: May 20, 2017, 10:06:29 PM »
I just want to say that I bought a cool looking diaper bag today for $15! It came with a lot of nifty compartments, one with the silver lining for insulation, a pocket for and with a plastic wipes box, a large changing pad and even a random clear carrying case. I like how it has extra long straps if you prefer! :-D I definitely want to check out their Little Journey baby wipes because they are cheap. $1.29 for 72 wipes. I don't even need to coupon. Their diapers are cheap, too, but I already couponed for Huggies.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #371 on: May 21, 2017, 07:03:20 AM »
I did a bit of stocking up since my Aldi is closing this week for a month while it is under reno.  But at the register I was given coupons, usable at another Aldi, while mine is closed.  I think I can find an alternate route home from work to pass one of them.   

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #372 on: May 21, 2017, 08:44:44 AM »
Bought some cashmere/wool jumpers ($30) and leather gloves for winter.

My local Aldi ran out of my usual El Toro tempranillo wine ($5). Instead, found a bargain - Taylor's 1L shiraz for $6. Buying a dozen next time I pay a visit. Eminently drinkable table wine.

Can't complain :-)

Mrs SimplestHappiness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Simplest Happiness
« Reply #373 on: August 10, 2017, 02:59:40 PM »
all the organic stuff at Aldi is pretty nice

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #374 on: August 10, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
I rarely make it to Aldi, but I go there from time to time.

One particular disappointment was the toasted oats cereal.  I've had several generic brands from various stores, but Aldi's were the first ones I didn't like.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:45:42 PM by GenXbiker »

BogleBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #375 on: August 11, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »

My names Paul and I'm so cheap my friends have called me dirtPaul and I would say $4-5 red wine is disgusting. Much better to have it half as often and buy a good $10-$12 bottle. Might I recommend 19 crimes Red Blend from Australia. Normally around $11 a bottle. My sister owns a bar so I get it wholesale but would gladly pay $11. Chardonnays and Pinot Grigio a can be pretty good in the $6-7 range. But if you can palate it then good for you.

You should have your friends do a blind taste test of differently priced red wines. Let them bring some of their more expensive ones. Give everyone a scorecard where they rate each wine 1-10 and write notes.

Both times I've done this with different groups Trader Joe's Two Buck Chuck cab won by a wide margin :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:53:25 AM by BogleBoy »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #376 on: August 11, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »

You should have your friends do a blind taste test of differently priced red wines. Let them bring some of their more expensive ones. Give everyone a scorecard where they rate them 1-10 and write notes.

Both times I've done this with different groups Two Buck Chuck cab won by a wide margin :)
Indeed. I ignore wine opinions unless they're based on blind tastings. Even then your palate can sometimes vary night to night more than flavor can wine to wine. I go cheap and only drink it when I'm in the mood for wine.

For reference though, I feel like I'm wasting money when I buy $4 wine instead of the $3. The way I see it if saving $1 on 5lbs of potatoes is a big deal, then so is saving $1 on wine.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #377 on: August 11, 2017, 09:32:24 AM »
You should have your friends do a blind taste test of differently priced red wines. Let them bring some of their more expensive ones. Give everyone a scorecard where rate each wine 1-10 and write notes.

Both times I've done this with different groups Trader Joe's Two Buck Chuck cab won by a wide margin :)

We've done this. My parents friends brought some really really fancy wines. I think the winner was a $500 (at the time of purchase, costs much more now) bottle that someone pulled out of an extensive collection. Then two-buck chuck (which costs like $4 now?) was a close second. 

I don't drink wine and thought they all tasted like crap.

Winking Owl cab got a "not too bad" at our house; but the Shiraz was poured down the drain.  The Chardonney was voted the best of the Winking Owls. 

I think overall my husband decided he's rather pay a few dollars more and not go with the Winking Owl. (Trader Joes opens up soon, so we'll see what we think of that).  But Aldi beers have been pretty well received.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #378 on: August 11, 2017, 09:46:27 AM »
I'm a wine drinker and I mostly drink the $2.89 Winking Owl Merlot from Aldi.  I hate how wine drinking is so pretentious and people look down on what is basically good table wine.  Basically, how Winking Owl and cheaper wines like Trader Joe's 3 buck chuck produce the stuff so cheaply is by buying mass quantities of grapes from multiple vineyards and then make the wine in huge stainless steel barrels.  This wine is completely acceptable.  It's just cheap because of economy of scale and a good business is passing on savings to you. 

My work hosted us at a fancypants wine bar once.  I was able to try $100+ bottles of wine (in 3 oz servings).  Yeah, I can taste the difference and it was a cool experience.  But is the extra $97 worth it?  Only if you have some void or deficiency in your life or you just like being an obnoxious prick I guess.  Sometimes I splurge and get a $10 bottle of wine.  Next time someone makes fun of your wine, suggest hosting a blind tasting where a few people each bring 2 bottles of the same varietal.  The cheaper wines often win out, or it's a draw at best.

BogleBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #379 on: August 11, 2017, 09:56:44 AM »
You should have your friends do a blind taste test of differently priced red wines. Let them bring some of their more expensive ones. Give everyone a scorecard where they rate each wine 1-10 and write notes.

We've done this. My parents friends brought some really really fancy wines. I think the winner was a $500 (at the time of purchase, costs much more now) bottle that someone pulled out of an extensive collection. Then two-buck chuck (which costs like $4 now?) was a close second. 

Winking Owl cab got a "not too bad" at our house; but the Shiraz was poured down the drain.  The Chardonney was voted the best of the Winking Owls. 

I think overall my husband decided he's rather pay a few dollars more and not go with the Winking Owl. (Trader Joes opens up soon, so we'll see what we think of that).  But Aldi beers have been pretty well received.

Two buck chuck is actually $2 here in TX and has been for awhile. Maybe it's a loss leader to get you into TJ's so you'll spend more on higher profit margin items.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: August 11, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »

Two buck chuck is actually $2 here in TX and has been for awhile. Maybe it's a loss leader to get you into TJ's so you'll spend more on higher profit margin items.
My understanding is that most of the price variation is due to state (and/or local) taxes and regulations. I guess Texas must be better than average in that regard?

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #381 on: August 11, 2017, 10:32:15 AM »
I like Aldi ok, and shop there about once a week. I will say though, that my local Aldi is full of angry folks; the customers, and sometimes the employees as well. I almost feel like I need to pack my Glock when I go there, the shoppers are so pissy and ill towards each other.

mosprott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #382 on: August 11, 2017, 11:07:23 AM »
I like Aldi ok, and shop there about once a week. I will say though, that my local Aldi is full of angry folks; the customers, and sometimes the employees as well. I almost feel like I need to pack my Glock when I go there, the shoppers are so pissy and ill towards each other.

That's funny; mine has the nicest people in it - I'd take the staff and the customers any day vs. the Whole Foods crowd. (The folks at Trader Joe's are also pretty nice!)

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #383 on: August 11, 2017, 11:27:40 AM »
Does yours have the giant carts? Ours switched from normal carts to giant carts and suddenly people became more pushy and rude. I think the fact that you can barely pass another cart in some aisles makes people frustrated. We've actually had conversations with the manager about it.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: August 11, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »
I love, love, LOVE Aldi's Caramel Coconut Fudge cookies. They taste EXACTLY how I remember Caramel DeLites (aka Samoas, depending on region) tasting back in my Girl Scout days. These days, I can't stand the actual current Samoas/Caramel DeLites--they've definitely changed the recipe, and not for the better. But the Benton's version (Aldi store brand) is spot on.

MightyMauler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #385 on: August 11, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »
At this point I’m in a committed long-term relationship with Aldi and I find myself getting a bit offended by any disparaging remarks. Please respect our love ;)

I have saved so much money by making Aldi my first stop.  There’s one close to my work and close to my home.  I have never had the issues with produce that people have discussed but I try to check it careful before I buy.  They can definitely have limited choices and sometimes they are completely out of the things I’m looking for. The lines can be long and other customers can be difficult but I try to mentally prepare myself beforehand. Their low prices bring in all kinds.    But I’m devoted to Aldi, so I try to be forgiving, patient, and grateful.   

The Aldi near my house was recently remodeled and they sent out coupons for their re-opening.  So for this summer I have gotten 2 sheets of 8 (16 total) “$10 off $40” coupons and I’ve been careful not to let any go unused.  That’s $160 of free groceries from my favorite store! I've used them to stock up on non-perishables.  Plus I use my AMEX for the points.  Such a great deal. 

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #386 on: August 11, 2017, 02:44:13 PM »
I love, love, LOVE Aldi's Caramel Coconut Fudge cookies. They taste EXACTLY how I remember Caramel DeLites (aka Samoas, depending on region) tasting back in my Girl Scout days. These days, I can't stand the actual current Samoas/Caramel DeLites--they've definitely changed the recipe, and not for the better. But the Benton's version (Aldi store brand) is spot on.
Those were the only girl scouts cookies I ever liked.  Haven't had them in years, though.  I'll try to remember that the next time I make my way to Aldi.

shunkman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #387 on: August 11, 2017, 05:09:34 PM »
We have been doing our weekly shopping at Aldi for about 12 months now.  There have  been very few disappointments other than the frozen scallops which we tried twice but they smelled too fishy. Of course we still ate them :)

Onion rings (when they have them) ++
Egg rolls ++
Potato salad ++
Frozen breaded fish filets ++

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #388 on: August 11, 2017, 06:10:42 PM »

They also sell a dead-ringer version of thin mints.  Which, umm, is not necessarily a good thing, given that my only defense against thin mints is the fact that they come around only once a year.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #389 on: August 14, 2017, 08:05:39 AM »

They might actually be the old version of the Samoas. Oftentimes, food companies will sell their old recipes to the store-brand producers when they switch to a newer recipe.

Source: used to work for a large food company

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #390 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:43 AM »

I dislike Samoas. I like Caramel deLights.

I love Aldi's version. And their Thin Mint version too.  OMG, so good.  They have a knock off of Peanut Butter patties/Tagalogs too- but I don't like peanut butter so I've never tried them.

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #391 on: August 14, 2017, 08:39:29 AM »
My biggest problem with Aldi is the unreliability of their supplies.  I go in there sometimes and there is literally almost nothing on the shelves.  Produce cases can be empty or nearly empty.  I cannot rely on Aldi, therefore, for most of my shopping many weeks, and am then forced to go to Giant or ShopRite etc. to pick up the items that Aldi does not have in stock.  This wouldn't be a problem if I were not still working, but I don't currently have unlimited time for shopping.  Also, packing their bananas in plastic makes them often mushy and overly ripe.  I sent them an e-mail about this and got a canned response that had no relation to my comments. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #392 on: August 14, 2017, 08:52:12 AM »
If Aldi had bread flour they might be a one stop shop for me.  But they don't. Which is sad.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #393 on: August 14, 2017, 09:07:20 AM »
Frankly, after shopping for produce at Aldi's, I have a hard time paying the prices other stores want.   It a tremendous value..especially if you stick to the 'on sale' items.

Many people tend to say Aldi's has 'bad produce'.  However, remember that a skeleton crew runs each store in a very efficient manner.  They often don't have time to pick out the 'bad' items in each palette.  In most higher-end grocery stores ( HyVee for instance ), there are clerks constantly 'prettying up' the shelves, picking out bad items, etc...

Edit : Someone mentioned the unreliability of shopping at Aldi's.  I have noticed that too.   It might be worth some investigation to determine on what day(s) of the week the restock trucks arrive at your store.  I managed to hit one of our stores right after resupply and the produce quality was quite a bit better than other times.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:11:46 AM by farmecologist »

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: August 14, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »
Frankly, after shopping for produce at Aldi's, I have a hard time paying the prices other stores want.   It a tremendous value..especially if you stick to the 'on sale' items.

Many people tend to say Aldi's has 'bad produce'.  However, remember that a skeleton crew runs each store in a very efficient manner.  They often don't have time to pick out the 'bad' items in each palette.  In most higher-end grocery stores ( HyVee for instance ), there are clerks constantly 'prettying up' the shelves, picking out bad items, etc...

Edit : Someone mentioned the unreliability of shopping at Aldi's.  I have noticed that too.   It might be worth some investigation to determine on what day(s) of the week the restock trucks arrive at your store.  I managed to hit one of our stores right after resupply and the produce quality was quite a bit better than other times.

Yeah I've noticed at least the local Walmart Neighborhood Market, has attempted to beat Aldi's prices on produce, meat, milk, and eggs. Our Aldi's had strawberries on sale for $1.29/lb this week and we happened to swing by the Neighborhood Market and they had them for 99 cents/lb. Gotta love competition :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #395 on: August 14, 2017, 09:48:05 AM »
Aldi had $1 milk for awhile (Target has been 99 cents for almost a year)- so Walmart finally lowered their milk to $1 about 2 months ago.   Last time I was at Aldi it was $1.25, so they aren't even close to the lowest anymore.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #396 on: August 14, 2017, 10:17:51 AM »
Aldi had $1 milk for awhile (Target has been 99 cents for almost a year)- so Walmart finally lowered their milk to $1 about 2 months ago.   Last time I was at Aldi it was $1.25, so they aren't even close to the lowest anymore.

The thing is...I'm not sure those prices are sustainable at Wally's and Target.  Seems like a desperation move.  Aldi's prices are low because their stores are run so efficiently.   Aldi's is also a quick in/out compared to the bigger stores.   I think it is a winning combination.  In fact, this type of store is what Amazon is supposedly going for ( but with more automation ). 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #397 on: August 14, 2017, 10:24:40 AM »

The thing is...I'm not sure those prices are sustainable at Wally's and Target.  Seems like a desperation move.  Aldi's prices are low because their stores are run so efficiently.   Aldi's is also a quick in/out compared to the bigger stores.   I think it is a winning combination.  In fact, this type of store is what Amazon is supposedly going for ( but with more automation ).

They are loss leaders for sure.  Target's has been that low for a LONG time.  With Cartwheel, milk was 95 cents.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #398 on: August 14, 2017, 10:30:16 AM »

They are called loss leaders. Aldi's efficiency doesn't change what they have to pay for the product. In fact if anything I would bet Target and Walmart pay less for Milk because they buy more than Aldi's does. Aldi's is not making money or even breaking even on milk, I can almost guarantee that. I've seen a much larger grocers #s and I know what they pay for 2% milk (retail cost) and it was $2.50/gallon last I saw (6 months ago).

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: August 14, 2017, 12:20:44 PM »
My biggest problem with Aldi is the unreliability of their supplies.  I go in there sometimes and there is literally almost nothing on the shelves.  Produce cases can be empty or nearly empty.  I cannot rely on Aldi, therefore, for most of my shopping many weeks, and am then forced to go to Giant or ShopRite etc. to pick up the items that Aldi does not have in stock.  This wouldn't be a problem if I were not still working, but I don't currently have unlimited time for shopping.  Also, packing their bananas in plastic makes them often mushy and overly ripe.  I sent them an e-mail about this and got a canned response that had no relation to my comments.
Not all the stores are alike.  There are three of them about the same distance from me.  They are very different.  Some of them don't carry some of the things I buy.  The price of their eggs is different.