Author Topic: Share your kitchen disasters...  (Read 98368 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Share your kitchen disasters...
« Reply #400 on: August 26, 2020, 04:25:53 PM »
My DD is learning to cook dry beans and lentils.  Yay DD!.  She refuses to use recipes, generally, and especially refused to see my reasoning that any old recipe off the internet needs to be vetted against your cooking experience -- so stick to tried and true sources the first time.

Anyway, she wanted to cook lentils.  I told her it was easy, the easiest dried legume infact -- you just boil them for about 20 minutes, like rice.

She insisted that they needed to be soaked first, because last time it did not work for her.   So she soaked them overnight and did not cook them for 2 more days (soaking on the counter all this time.)

Unknown to me, she had mixed together brown lentils and yellow chana.  To her credit, some on-line random sources called the yellow chana "lentils" when translating to English, but they are really more like a hard split yellow pea.

Turns out the yellow chana really need a pressure cooker.  Soaking for 2-3 days and then boiling for 2 hours did not soften them, but did a number on the lentils.  And that long soak resulted in a slightly sour taste....

Ugh.  Uncooked split pea and sour lentil ... something.

Next step?  Add it to her beet soup recipe.  I love beet soup.Yet... I don't like it with coconut milk and ginger (coconut milk needs a bright flavour like lime or chili, not earthy beets IMO), and it is especially not good with crunchy under cooked split beans, and "have they gone bad?" brown lentils.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2020, 04:40:15 PM »
Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2020, 05:10:56 PM »
Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way.

Truth!

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2020, 05:21:22 PM »
Goldielocks, can I just say thank you for sharing the story.  Being a mom of a certain age, you would think I would know better by now.  But, I don't.  The story made me feel better about some of my own cooking thought processes.

I also had a bad experience with cooking dried lentils.  Such a bad experience I haven't given them a shot again.  Your point about them being the easiest dried legume is making me rethink my position. 

I hope I don't come back in a few days with a new story for the thread...

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #404 on: August 27, 2020, 11:19:05 AM »
Turns out the yellow chana really need a pressure cooker.  Soaking for 2-3 days and then boiling for 2 hours did not soften them, but did a number on the lentils.  And that long soak resulted in a slightly sour taste....

Maybe she could make some dosa instead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosa

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #405 on: August 27, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »
I had fun reading through this last night. My contributions:

Back in college DH decided to make pizza rolls. So he put them in the microwave. For the amount of time they're supposed to go in the oven. By the time I realized what was going on they were a charred mess, the microwave was permanently discolored, and the apartment smelled horrible. I didn't even know you could blacken food in the microwave.

Then, a few years ago I was coming up on a really busy couple of months so I decided to prep some casseroles to put in the freezer for easy dinners. One of them was a pasta and vegetable casserole that used wide egg noodles. Learned pretty quickly that egg noodles do not freeze well. The casserole became this gross clump of sorta-dough with veggie chunks. DH and I both only managed a couple of bites before tossing the rest.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: August 27, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »
I had fun reading through this last night. My contributions:

Back in college DH decided to make pizza rolls. So he put them in the microwave. For the amount of time they're supposed to go in the oven. By the time I realized what was going on they were a charred mess, the microwave was permanently discolored, and the apartment smelled horrible. I didn't even know you could blacken food in the microwave.

I did something similar with a hot pocket one time.  Instead of 2 minutes I hit an extra 0 and walked away.  It took about 10 minutes before I realized that the microwave had been running an awfully long time.  The house smelled like burnt hot pocket for DAYS

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #407 on: August 27, 2020, 02:27:34 PM »
This thread has made me laugh far too hard. So here are my offerings -

1) In college, I was heating up a tortilla and didn’t notice that a twist tie had fallen into the microwave until I saw the small fire inside.

2) In my late 20s, decided to make the Alton Brown soft pretzel recipe while on a date. Realized I didn’t have parchment paper but thought “meh wax paper was close enough.” Also in fantastic ignorance, I didn’t cut the wax paper tight enough to the pan and some of it was hanging out to touch the wire rack. Started watching a movie and didn’t notice the apartment filling with smoke until the pretzels were done. Luckily the fire alarm didn’t go off (being February in NJ the neighbors would have hated me). The pretzels were melted into the wax paper that happened to be extremely burnt at the edges. We enjoyed the pretzel tops though.   

3) DH and I typically roast quite a few pounds of hatch peppers. We prep them with gloves (made the mistake of not using gloves one year and that was bad) but DH learned the hard way to wash his hands very thoroughly after removing the gloves and before using the restroom.

Frugalroogal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #408 on: August 27, 2020, 02:30:30 PM »
Not my kitchen disaster but one I was told by a colleague. In an office where she used to work someone accidentally added an extra zero to the microwave timer when heating lunch, changing 4 minutes to 40 minutes. They then walked away and got distracted doing something else. The microwave was a write off, the fire department came to put out the fire and the whole office block was evacuated for some time.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #409 on: August 27, 2020, 04:43:49 PM »
One time my Hub decided to cook bacon on the grill. What could go wrong?

He went out in the morning and placed the bacon on the grill grates and it was a beautiful thing. The bacon was just gorgeous and a sight to behold.

All of a sudden, the grease dripping down caught fire and shot up flames about 6 feet tall. We have an awning and thank goodness he didn't cook under it. We have about a six foot section with no awning where we typically cook.

Well, this was a Sunday morning and our neighbor who was in his skivvies had gone to his mailbox for his paper and on his return saw our towering inferno and was jumping up and down in his driveway screaming fire, fire! My Hub came out of the house and closed the grill lid and put out the fire. LOL! I am sure the neighbor shook his head thinking how stupid we were! Needless to say, we had no bacon. It all burned up! LOL!

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #410 on: August 27, 2020, 04:56:27 PM »
So I have (among the many) 2 that I'll share:
1. When I was about 13(ish) I decided to cook some french fries in oil in a pan on the stove. Done it a bunch of times no problem. I  set the pan on the burner turned it on to heat the oil, and got distracted by my cat. By the time I realized there was a problem, there were flames shooting out of the pan and rolling off the ceiling. (not good at all) Thankfully dad was home.
2. I hate (really hate) sweet potato. I kept seeing this recipe for a vegan sweet-potato lasagna that people were raving about. I thought, what the heck, it must be great if all these other people love it. NOPE, still hate sweet potato. I dumped the whole thing into my composter and the squirrels got into it (ate a corner of the lid). They loved it, I interrupted a squirrel mid-supper and its whole face was covered in red sauce and sweet potato lasagna.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #411 on: August 27, 2020, 10:55:41 PM »
I dumped the whole thing into my composter and the squirrels got into it (ate a corner of the lid). They loved it, I interrupted a squirrel mid-supper and its whole face was covered in red sauce and sweet potato lasagna.
LOL, love the visual! DSD lives in the Colorado mountains. We have a big picture window that overlooks a squirrel playground. She always laughs at how big and fat our squirrels are compared to theirs. Hey, we're in California, maybe a lot of people are composting Sweet Potato Lasagne.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #412 on: August 28, 2020, 01:42:37 AM »

He went out in the morning and placed the bacon on the grill grates and it was a beautiful thing. The bacon was just gorgeous and a sight to behold.

All of a sudden, the grease dripping down caught fire and shot up flames about 6 feet tall. We have an awning and thank goodness he didn't cook under it. We have about a six foot section with no awning where we typically cook.

Well, this was a Sunday morning and our neighbor who was in his skivvies had gone to his mailbox for his paper and on his return saw our towering inferno and was jumping up and down in his driveway screaming fire, fire! My Hub came out of the house and closed the grill lid and put out the fire. LOL! I am sure the neighbor shook his head thinking how stupid we were! Needless to say, we had no bacon. It all burned up! LOL!

Your neighbour, who can be seen from other houses, regularly gets his paper naked?!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #413 on: August 28, 2020, 05:10:06 AM »

Your neighbour, who can be seen from other houses, regularly gets his paper naked?!

skivvy
[ˈskivē]
NOUN
trademark in us
(skivvies)
underwear, especially a set consisting of undershirt and underpants, or just the underpants.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #414 on: August 28, 2020, 05:24:49 AM »

skivvy
[ˈskivē]
NOUN
trademark in us
(skivvies)
underwear, especially a set consisting of undershirt and underpants, or just the underpants.

Yeah, I'm in the US and know the term, and agree that's basically naked.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #415 on: August 28, 2020, 05:29:09 AM »
Naked cooking. Now that really is a kitchen disaster waiting to happen.

Please don’t try that at home.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #416 on: August 28, 2020, 05:41:53 AM »

skivvy
[ˈskivē]
NOUN
trademark in us
(skivvies)

Yeah, I'm in the US and know the term, and agree that's basically naked.

I'll concede that there's a difference between thick woollen long johns with a long-sleeved undershirt, and going out in just a pair of tighty whities, but either way that's a mere technicality away from actually starkers.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #417 on: August 28, 2020, 07:05:31 AM »
It could have been swimming trunks. Not exactly naked. Men mow lawns in shorts, no shirt all the time. Not a big deal. The neighbor was not a raving lunatic running around the neighborhood naked.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: August 29, 2020, 07:37:28 AM »
Not my kitchen disaster but one I was told by a colleague. In an office where she used to work someone accidentally added an extra zero to the microwave timer when heating lunch, changing 4 minutes to 40 minutes. They then walked away and got distracted doing something else. The microwave was a write off, the fire department came to put out the fire and the whole office block was evacuated for some time.

We had a coworker set off the fire alarm and force an evacuation of the building by toasting a bagel in a toaster that wasn't wide enough to handle it.  Twice.  In like three weeks.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #419 on: January 23, 2021, 10:01:09 AM »
We've been using plastic containers for a really long time to store food and leftovers.  We've got a high shelf that we keep 'em on at the back of the kitchen . . . and over the years we've whittled down out collection to just two stackable sizes.  Anyhoo, someone saw that and decided to gift us with a set of glass containers for Christmas.  All different sizes . . . none of which are stackable . . . but obviously better since they're glass.

We stuck 'em up on the same shelf where they didn't quite fit with all the plastic containers.  Kinda worked out a stacking method.  And then I guess the glass containers shifted after they were put away.  One evening we heard a surprising amount of smashing from the kitchen and came down to find that several of these things fell the six ft down to the tile floor and exploded into razor sharp shards that we'll likely be picking out of crevices for years to come.

Good news is the remaining containers fit better on the shelf, so it's not a total loss.  :P

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #420 on: January 23, 2021, 10:02:31 AM »
We've been using plastic containers for a really long time to store food and leftovers.  We've got a high shelf that we keep 'em on at the back of the kitchen . . . and over the years we've whittled down out collection to just two stackable sizes.  Anyhoo, someone saw that and decided to gift us with a set of glass containers for Christmas.  All different sizes . . . none of which are stackable . . . but obviously better since they're glass.

We stuck 'em up on the same shelf where they didn't quite fit with all the plastic containers.  Kinda worked out a stacking method.  And then I guess the glass containers shifted after they were put away.  One evening we heard a surprising amount of smashing from the kitchen and came down to find that several of these things fell the six ft down to the tile floor and exploded into razor sharp shards that we'll likely be picking out of crevices for years to come.

Good news is the remaining containers fit better on the shelf, so it's not a total loss.  :P
OMG. Glad no one was in the kitchen when it happened.

ETA: Funny, I wrote "Oof", not "OMG". Apparently even autocorrect is relieved that there were no injuries.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:04:12 AM by Dicey »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #421 on: January 23, 2021, 07:54:26 PM »
I will be getting a new pot sticker pan and lid. This is probably something like a wok. The lid was glass. I managed to be clumsy and the lid fell and shattered  earlier today. At least was a cheap Ikea pan and lid. So my kitchen is getting an unexpected deep clean.

The pot stickers came out fine at least.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #422 on: January 24, 2021, 03:50:10 PM »

OMG. Glad no one was in the kitchen when it happened.

ETA: Funny, I wrote "Oof", not "OMG". Apparently even autocorrect is relieved that there were no injuries.

When I say exploded, I really mean it.  Like this thing just evaporated into razor sharp shards smaller than 1/2 a grain of rice.  Managed to have to pull three slivers of glass out of my hand since then . . . after sweeping, vacuuming, AND mopping afterwards.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #423 on: January 26, 2021, 04:33:06 AM »
Well, I had a kitchen disaster this morning. I typically drink out of mason jars. There are a few spaghetti sauce jars I have also taken a liking to. This one in particular is tall and holds probably 20 ounces. Yesterday afternoon, I came up with a brilliant idea. To fill the jar half full, mix in my favorite Crystal light flavor and freeze it. In the morning I would take it out and fill it up the rest of the way and have a nice icy drink. Well, here it is this morning and I went to the freezer to get it out. It was leaning sideways like the Leaning Tower of Piza. I am like 'what made it do that'. I retrieve the jar out and see the bottom of the jar broke off. Luckily the water must have frozen because it was mostly the glass bottom that was frozen to the bottom of the freezer. I threw the jar in a ziplock and now I am wondering how on earth am I going to get this jagged glass out of the freezer. First I thought of a paper towel with hot water and then I remembered I had a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol in it. I sprayed the thing like crazy and fortunately it lifted out in one piece. I was able to wipe up the little pink water that remained with no problem. But so lucky it wasn't more shattered glass. I have frozen 'real' mason jars with no issue before. This jar was obviously not able to take extreme temperature changes. UGH, good morning to me at 6 am!

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #424 on: January 26, 2021, 04:44:59 PM »
I was cooking Thai food (which turned out well), but I made a big mistake handling the hot peppers. I knew that the seeds and vein inside the peppers is very hot, and I was careful (so I thought) to wash my hands after touching them. In fact, I washed my hands repeatedly (there were a lot of peppers in the various dishes) - with hot water. The hot water opened up my pores and made the spiciness sink into my skin. As the evening wore on, my hands became uncomfortably hot. I tried washing my hands, soaking them in soap, tomato juice, milk, baking soda/water, etc. Nothing worked. It was like the worst sunburn. I ended up leaving my house late in the evening to go to the all-night drugstore to buy Solarcaine, which combined with ibuprofen dialed down the agony enough that I could sleep.

I was terrified to stick my fingers in my eyes to get my contacts out so I ended up keeping my lenses in for two days, because even the next morning, my hands were still stinging.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #425 on: January 26, 2021, 04:53:37 PM »
I was cooking Thai food (which turned out well), but I made a big mistake handling the hot peppers. I knew that the seeds and vein inside the peppers is very hot, and I was careful (so I thought) to wash my hands after touching them. In fact, I washed my hands repeatedly (there were a lot of peppers in the various dishes) - with hot water. The hot water opened up my pores and made the spiciness sink into my skin. As the evening wore on, my hands became uncomfortably hot. I tried washing my hands, soaking them in soap, tomato juice, milk, baking soda/water, etc. Nothing worked. It was like the worst sunburn. I ended up leaving my house late in the evening to go to the all-night drugstore to buy Solarcaine, which combined with ibuprofen dialed down the agony enough that I could sleep.

I was terrified to stick my fingers in my eyes to get my contacts out so I ended up keeping my lenses in for two days, because even the next morning, my hands were still stinging.

Capsaicin is fat soluble - so try oil then soap.  I know we are supposed to wear gloves when working with hot Chile’s. I never do, and have gotten the hot under my fingernails. That’s interesting.  Always a low enough level to be tolerable.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: January 30, 2021, 10:20:40 PM »
One of my projects in 2020 was going back and recooking a lot of recipes in my files to see what the "keepers" really are. Since I have already cooked all these at least once, most of the real stinkers have already been weeded out and it's rare for me to have total failures. Was trying to make caramel bars and I do not know what happened, but the recipe did not work from start to finish. The crust wasn't in the right proportion for the pan, and the caramel just would not spread. Finally threw the whole thing out and made chocolate chip cookies instead.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #427 on: January 31, 2021, 03:38:50 PM »

Capsaicin is fat soluble - so try oil then soap.  I know we are supposed to wear gloves when working with hot Chile’s. I never do, and have gotten the hot under my fingernails. That’s interesting.  Always a low enough level to be tolerable.

Hee, what's the worst feeling first thing in the morning? It's when you put in the first contact, and it burns (because you had capsicum on your fingers when you took it out).

Because, of course, contacts are generally worn in pairs....

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #428 on: January 31, 2021, 05:46:56 PM »

Hee, what's the worst feeling first thing in the morning? It's when you put in the first contact, and it burns (because you had capsicum on your fingers when you took it out).

The sensation of trying to stand and pee while sporting capsicum laced fingers is also eye opening.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #429 on: January 31, 2021, 05:55:52 PM »

The sensation of trying to stand and pee while sporting capsicum laced fingers is also eye opening.

There’s a Jerry Lee Lewis song that is taking on a whole new meaning for me....

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #430 on: January 31, 2021, 07:42:45 PM »

There’s a Jerry Lee Lewis song that is taking on a whole new meaning for me....

Goodness gracious...