Author Topic: Share your easy and delicious big-batch recipes  (Read 15201 times)

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
Share your easy and delicious big-batch recipes
« on: June 10, 2018, 06:02:49 AM »
A few years back, I began a strict whole food diet.  Followed it for two years.  Over this time, my weight dropped, my cholesterol decreased and all my health markers improved.  Then I fell off the wagon.  I find the most difficult obstacle to getting back to eating healthy is the time it takes to prepare healthy meals.  Can you recommend some meals that are relatively simple and taste good reheated?  Do you have some other tricks to share on how you stay on track eating well?

marshmallowaddict

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Share your easy and delicious big-batch recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:31:08 AM »
Ptf

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:47:01 AM »
Do you like soup?  95% of my best batch recipes are soups or stews...

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 07:55:07 AM »
I make a version of this enchilada casserole almost every week and it reheats pretty well:
https://www.thissavoryvegan.com/vegan-enchilada-casserole-jalapeno-cream-sauce/

Instead of canned beans I cook dry beans in the instant pot. It does have vegan cream cheese which is kind of processed but you could substitute with blended cashews and lime juice or real cream cheese/sour cream if you eat dairy products.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 08:22:47 AM »
Nasi goreng.

My recipe is for four servings (2-person household) but it's easily doubled.

- 3 onions, chopped
- 500 gr. boiled rice
- 4 cloves garlic
- any kind of vegetable, like spring onions, leek, finely chopped carrot, cabbage.
- any kind of protein, tofu, finely sliced omelette, chicken, pork

Spices:
- little bit of mace or nutmeg
- little bit of pepper
- 8 cloves
- 1 tbs coriander powder
- 1/2 tbs ginger powder
- little bit of Indonesian shrimp paste (terasi) or any other Asian shrimp paste
- 1 tbs sambal ( can be replaced by Sriracha if sambal is not available)

Brown the onions and garlic with the spices. When they are brown, add the vegetables and protein and stir fry, then add the rice. Is easy to reheat and to freeze.

The only real trick to stay on track, imho, is to plan ahead, cook ahead and stick to your plan. I haven't found any shortcuts yet. Make sure your main meals are healthy and filling so you are less tempted to eat snacks.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 08:25:50 AM »
soup and chili
roasts
chicken
anything with rice
spaghetti
sloppy joe
taco's

Pretty much every meal I cook at least twice as much as I need. Rarely does it take anywhere near twice the time.

We also make meals that become other meals very quickly. Marinated steak on the grill become steak fajitas the next few days in about 10 minutes.

How many are you cooking for?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 08:31:38 AM »

spaghetti

When I have leftover pasta sauce, I usually make lasagne from it straight away. I have glass food containers from Ikea with plastic lids that can be used in both the freezer and the oven. When there's not enough sauce I stretch it by adding tinned tomatoes and vegetables until there is enough. Next time you only have to take the glass container out of the freezer in the morning before you go to work and you can put it straight in the oven when you get back home and have a home cooked meal with no hands-on time and very little washing up to do. This works for any type of casserole, which is why I have a bunch of those containers.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 08:34:10 AM »
I eat well, but not always healthy...

I'll do a lot of stir fry.  Keep a bunch of frozen vegetables on hand (either bought or blanched and frozen yourself).  Slice a piece of chicken, pork, or beef thin, and cook over high heat in a cast iron skillet (takes up less room than a wok, and has more uses).  I can get dinner done this way in just a few minutes since everything cooks fast.  Serve over rice or noodles if you want.

I like oatmeal smoothies, so sometimes I'll make a bunch on one day, and then freeze or refrigerate them to use throughout the week.  https://www.theyummylife.com/Oatmeal_Smoothies

I'll cook up a large cut of meat with "neutral" spices/seasonings, that I can use for multiple dishes later.  Kahlua pork is a good choice.  Cook it up in a dutch oven, then use in sandwiches, on salads, in burritos, stir fry, etc.

I also try to keep cooked ground beef in the freezer.  It can cut the cook time down by half when I go to use it later.  I also make a large batch of (non)refried beans and separate that for the freezer.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »
Following, I have eight people in my house for the summer.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
2-4 lb cheap cut of meat, chuck, brisket, etc. Put in crockpot with your choice:

1. bbq sauce (Hughes low sugar is the one I use),
2. Lipton onion/beefy onion soup envelopes,
3. beef base/ketchup/vinegar/onion for a nice jewish potroast.

Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours. Shred when done.

Paired with veggies, rice, etc - lots of gravy. I fill 5 small tupperwares with the meat for weekday lunches. Leftovers are great.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/152937/ethiopian-cabbage-dish/
I use 1/2 the oil and double the spices.

This makes a big batch and reheats well.  I serve it frequently when my vegan DD and SIL visit.  They love it.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 04:26:55 PM »
Do you like soup?  95% of my best batch recipes are soups or stews...

Yes.  I like just about everything.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »
soup and chili
roasts
chicken
anything with rice
spaghetti
sloppy joe
taco's

Pretty much every meal I cook at least twice as much as I need. Rarely does it take anywhere near twice the time.

We also make meals that become other meals very quickly. Marinated steak on the grill become steak fajitas the next few days in about 10 minutes.

How many are you cooking for?

Cooking for two adults and 3 smallish kids.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.  Keep them coming.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 04:43:28 PM »
This stew has been a staple of mine for years. Really easy to make, and scales up well. I freeze leftovers in single-serving containers for an easy and quick meal later on.

I have ridiculous food sensitivities, so feel free to add garlic, onion, tomato, or other spices or flavorings. But it's quite good even as plain as this.

Lamb Shank Crock Pot Stew

2 lamb shanks
1 cup lentils
1 tsp salt
however much of whatever chopped/diced veg you like that will fit comfortably in your crock pot:
- carrots
- celery
- spinach
- chard
- parsnips
- sweet potatoes
- potatoes
- zucchini
- butternut squash
- mushrooms
- etc.
herbs that you like, fresh or dried (parsley, oregano, thyme, basil, etc.)
red wine vinegar to add at the end (to taste, but start with maybe 1 tbsp and keeping adding 1/2 tbsp until the flavor is right)

Throw everything but the vinegar into a crock pot and cover with plenty of filtered water, because lentils will expand with cooking. Cook for 8-12 hours. Remove lamb shanks, let cool. Remove meat from bones and chop meat into bite-sized pieces. Discard bones. Return chopped meat to crock pot. Add vinegar in small amounts, to taste. Adjust salt.

Oh, and another one that's a little less hearty but easy and delicious. I'm guessing at amounts because I just eyeball it each time.

Chicken & Egg Soup

4 cups good-quality chicken bone broth (homemade is best; I make big batches and freeze in yogurt containers)
3-4 large eggs
2 cups chopped chicken thighs (or breasts, whatever)
3-4 cups of whatever chopped/diced veg you like:
- carrots
- celery
- spinach
- chard
- bok choy
- snow peas
- sweet potatoes
- potatoes
- zucchini
- butternut squash
- etc.
herbs that you like, fresh or dried (parsley, oregano, thyme, basil, etc.)
salt to taste
apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar, whichever you prefer (to taste, but start with maybe 1 tbsp and keeping adding 1/2 tbsp until the flavor is right)
1 can coconut milk (optional)

Heat the bone broth to a boil. While the broth is heating, beat the eggs in a bowl till well combined. While stirring the broth, slowly add the beaten eggs into it. Keep stirring for several seconds afterwards to distribute the egg evenly. Add chicken, veg, and herbs. Add extra filtered water if necessary. Bring back to a boil, and then turn heat down and simmer for half an hour to an hour. Add vinegar in small amounts, to taste. Adjust salt.

If you're using the coconut milk, wait until you ladle the soup into bowls, and then add maybe 1/3 cup to each serving so it floats on top. No need to blend it in.

The eggs will clump in little bits, but they'll also add a rich flavor to the soup, as will the coconut milk.

To make heartier, add steamed rice or quinoa, or serve with homemade bread.

I eat a lot of soup. :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:18:16 PM by RedmondStash »

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »
Lentil Stew

1 cup dry lentils
3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 14.5 oz can tomatoes
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 Tbl dried parsley
1 Tbl dried basil
1 garlic clove, minced (or substitute 1 tsp garlic powder)
Pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in a saucepan.  Simmer for 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender.

Leek and Potato Soup (I usually double or triple the recipe)

3 Tbl unsalted butter
2 large leeks, sliced (white and tender green)
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced
salt and pepper to taste

In large saucepan, melt butter.  Add leeks and saute, stirring until softened but not browned (about 8 min).  Stir in chicken stock and potatoes.  Simmer until potatoes are tender (15-20 min).  Mash potato in soup.

Potato Gnocchi (Prep is long, but they freeze great)

3 lbs large baking potatoes
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2 C flour
2 Tbl finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Unsalted butter, room temperature, as needed

Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Wash the potatoes, prick with a fork, and bake until very soft, 1.5-2 hrs.  Cool slightly and scoop out the insides.  Rice the scooped potato with a ricer or mash with a fork.  Place in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth to retain heat.  Potatoes must be used while still very warm.

Beat the eggs and yolk together in a small bowl.  Add to the potatoes along with flour, rosemary, salt, and a few grinds of fresh pepper. Mix gently until all ingredients are well incorporated and dough is smooth.

Turn dough our on a lightly floured surface.  Lightly knead, adding more flour if dough is overly sticky.  Let rest 10 min.

Roll the dough into thin 1/2-inch thick logs and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.  Using a generous amount of flour, press each piece against your thumb tip to make a dent or roll it over the back and off the tip of a floured fork times to make the traditional ridged shape.  Place the finished gnocchi on a lightly floured sheet pan.

Cook as soon as possible or freeze.

To cook, add gnocchi to boiling water.  When they rise to the top, let them cook for a minute or two, then remove them with a slotted spoon.  Drain well adn toss with butter.

To freeze, place sheet pan in freezer until frozen solid.  Transfer to a sealable bag or wrap tightly to avoid freezer burn.  Do not thaw before cooking.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 01:32:02 PM »
This recipe for red lentil chili:

https://minimalistbaker.com/1-pot-red-lentil-chili/

I use dry beans not canned, corn is a must (canned or frozen is just fine), and I use maple syrup to slightly sweeten (the chili itself is fairly spicy with all that chili powder). It is delicious on its own but really fantastic eaten like a bean dip. I always add cilantro, avocado, chopped raw onion, maybe some shredded cheese and some salsa or pico if I have any, and eat with tortilla chips. This summer I may try with fresh tomatoes. So good.

ETA: The recipe as it stands makes a lot. I am sure you could double. Supposedly freezes well, but I always eat my way through it before that happens!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 08:20:20 PM »
In winter and fall I male coq au vin in the slow cooker and eat it for days and then freeze the rest.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 08:39:35 PM »
I literally can't make dhal for less than 6 servings.

Easiest dhal:
Boil a pot of water. Add salt and red lentils. When a lovely mess, brown some garlic and whole gheera and toss in.

I can make more complicated ones, but this is biggest and easiest

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »
The dahl sounds great.
When you say gheera, is that another term for cumin?
How much is a "whole" gheera?
Thanks!

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 09:33:44 AM »
Also, wondering if the Ethiopian cabbage dish might work well with sweet potatoes?
I think I'll try that.

Honestly, MMM himself nailed it with his Butternut Squash soup recipe (see this post - https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/29/killing-your-1000-grocery-bill/)

I've made this with double the onion, and then I like to add Black Rice to it to give it some more heft and texture (black rice is low glycemic, and has a slight nutty flavor). Definitely freezes well.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »

spaghetti

When I have leftover pasta sauce, I usually make lasagne from it straight away. I have glass food containers from Ikea with plastic lids that can be used in both the freezer and the oven. When there's not enough sauce I stretch it by adding tinned tomatoes and vegetables until there is enough. Next time you only have to take the glass container out of the freezer in the morning before you go to work and you can put it straight in the oven when you get back home and have a home cooked meal with no hands-on time and very little washing up to do. This works for any type of casserole, which is why I have a bunch of those containers.

I like to make lasagna in the crock pot so you don't have to boil the noodles first.  That and you get like 12 inch tall lasagna.  :P

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 10:38:28 AM »
The dahl sounds great.
When you say gheera, is that another term for cumin?
How much is a "whole" gheera?
Thanks!

Gheera is jeera is cumin is probably something else too.

Each seed is itty bitty.

So if I was to pretend to follow a recipe...
6 cups water
1.5-2 cups lentils
2 cloves of garlic minced
Oil (1T)
And 1.5 tsp cumin

If you only have ground cumin, you mix it with a bit of water and cook until it smells.

The garlic you cook till brown and fragrant. Whole gheera you cook until they pop up and are fragrant

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 12:31:45 PM »
A few years back, I began a strict whole food diet.  Followed it for two years.  Over this time, my weight dropped, my cholesterol decreased and all my health markers improved.  Then I fell off the wagon.  I find the most difficult obstacle to getting back to eating healthy is the time it takes to prepare healthy meals.  Can you recommend some meals that are relatively simple and taste good reheated?  Do you have some other tricks to share on how you stay on track eating well?

Saturday, when I sauteed a container of sliced mushrooms for pizza, I decided to also saute the 2nd container. Yesterday, I got out the mandoline to slice 2 English cucumbers for quick pickles. While I had it out, I also sliced a zucchini and 2 carrots, and then hand sliced a yellow bell pepper. All of these went into containers in the fridge. Now I can make practically instant salad or stir fry or flat bread this week.

I always make a double batch of rice (we eat a lot of rice). I always cook the whole pound of dried beans. I cook the entire family-sized package of meat/giant hunk of meat and freeze half. (Pro tip: 1 pound of meat fits exactly in 1 quart-sized bag for freezing flat.)

I have never regretted prepping 2-3 things instead of 1. Sometimes I even say, "Man, I'm glad Past BrightFIRE made Present BrightFIRE's life so easy!"

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »
I have never regretted prepping 2-3 things instead of 1. Sometimes I even say, "Man, I'm glad Past BrightFIRE made Present BrightFIRE's life so easy!"

To build on this, my biggest tip is to do a lot of prep work when you have time, whether or not you're actually making a meal. I buy a bunch of celery, clean and chop it, and freeze it. Same with carrots, bok choi, sweet potato, zucchini, winter squash, whatever. I'll freeze anything.

I also chop veggies into bite sizes and then roast them in big batches: potato, sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, squash. Then freeze. You can use them either as a veg or a starch, or add them to soups.

Same with lemon & lime juice. Buy a bag of lemons, juice them, freeze in ice cube trays, put cubes into freezer bag or Tupperware container. Same with ginger root: grate, freeze in ice cube trays, boom.

And roasts: make the roast, slice some of the leftovers into servings, chop some into bite sizes for soups. Freeze.

Oh, and I make tons of bone broth too: buy bones, throw them in a crock pot with salt, water, and maybe a little vinegar for 12-24 hours (depending on the type of bones), strain, cool, and freeze in containers.

Really I just make big batches of things and then freeze them, either in individual serving sizes for whole meals like soup or shepherd's pie, or in large containers for ingredients like chopped carrots or squash.

Some things I buy chopped and frozen, like spinach and chard. I figure with all the other prep I'm doing, paying extra for the convenience there is reasonable.

Makes it really, really easy to throw a healthy meal together in very little time with almost no prep work.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 11:46:41 AM »

spaghetti

Love this! Thank you for the inspiration. Now I will have to try and remember doing this :)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »
An alternative to big batch cooking is to simply cook a big amount of your meat of choice and using that meat in different easy to cook meals. 5 lbs of shredded chicken can be tossed in tacos, salads, sandwiches, mole, scrambled eggs. Can be accomplished by a big roast or big thing of pork (pork butt great for carnitas).

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 01:52:57 PM »
Tacos/carnitas

Crockpot:
1 large (5lb) cut of pork
salt
pepper
cumin
lime juice

cook 8-10 hours. shread and cook down the resulting juice. serve with tortillas, beans, salsa.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 03:14:43 PM »
Here's one I fell in love with over the weekend:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-sloppy-joes

I'm going to continue to tweak it, as it was a little vinegary for my taste, and may replace some or all of the sausage with more beef.  I also doubled the recipe when I made it, and it served nine hungry adults with plenty of leftovers (which continue to get better and better in the fridge).

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 05:07:58 PM »
Tacos/carnitas

Crockpot:
salt
pepper
cumin
lime juice

cook 8-10 hours. shread and cook down the resulting juice. serve with tortillas, beans, salsa.

Which cut of pork do you prefer to use?

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »
Tacos/carnitas

Crockpot:
salt
pepper
cumin
lime juice

Which cut of pork do you prefer to use?

Pork Butt!
It's not actually the "butt," and is sometimes called the Boston Butt.

Also, to ratchet up that carnitas a notch, you can throw it in the broiler for a few spells till you get some crispy edges.

Pretty Good Cook did a rendition of the recipe I use:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwj29b-BhNLbAhWmjFQKHcIdBesQwqsBCGMwEg&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:49:08 PM by Johnez »

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2018, 07:11:41 AM »
Not a meal, per se, but one thing that I like to do is buy 6 pounds or so of ground beef and then brown it in 1 pound batches.  I don't usually season it at all, but do that on the thaw end.  Then I stick it in a ziplock, squeeze it flat, and freeze it almost in sheets, so it doesn't take up much room.

This saves a lot of time on and can be used for many things.  Taco night, spaghetti and meat sauce, a quick cauliflower soup, loaded garlic bread, etc, etc, etc.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2018, 07:23:45 AM »
The world's easiest broccoli soup:

Broccoli
water
stock

Boil the broccoli until it is soft in water and stock that barely covers the vegetables. When done blend it and add spices. Salt and pepper for a very broccoli-tasting soup. Add herbs if you want a bit more complex taste or some chili or cayenne pepper for some heat. Add some butter or olive oil. You can serve it as it is now but I tend to add some cream too and bring it all up to a boil after that. It really sounds boring but it has a great taste as long as you enjoy broccoli of course and you can make it very fast and for as few or as many people as you want. I serve it with fried bacon in small pieces that have been fried until crispy and/or feta cheese but it is probably fine with other types of cheese or even as it is for a more budget meal. You can do the same with cauliflower too.

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2018, 11:18:32 AM »

Broccoli
water
stock

Boil the broccoli until it is soft in water and stock that barely covers the vegetables. When done blend it and add spices. Salt and pepper for a very broccoli-tasting soup. Add herbs if you want a bit more complex taste or some chili or cayenne pepper for some heat. Add some butter or olive oil. You can serve it as it is now but I tend to add some cream too and bring it all up to a boil after that. It really sounds boring but it has a great taste as long as you enjoy broccoli of course and you can make it very fast and for as few or as many people as you want. I serve it with fried bacon in small pieces that have been fried until crispy and/or feta cheese but it is probably fine with other types of cheese or even as it is for a more budget meal. You can do the same with cauliflower too.

This is true with any vegetable. I made a really awesome mushroom soup recently with 1 leek, sliced and sauteed, 1 pound of cremini mushrooms and just enough water to cover. Then I pureed it with a stick blender.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
Posting to follow this! I love it. A few of my go-tos have been mentioned: spaghetti sauce (I eat it like a stew, since we don't really do many noodles) or over rice. Chili.

Carnitas recipe I use: https://www.skinnytaste.com/instant-pot-pork-carnitas-mexican/
Then I use leftover carnitas to make "muffins" for work lunches on the go: https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/10/paleo-carnitas-egg-muffins/
I'll also make a batch of these sometimes for work lunches: http://realeverything.com/mini-egg-pizzas/ But you have to get the sauce ratio just so, or they fall apart too much.
Another muffin type thing for work lunches. (Husband and I are both on the go/no break/no fridge a lot): http://www.tazandbelly.com/2017/01/paleo-meatloaf-muffins.html These freeze well. I haven't ever tried freezing the other two "muffin" recipes.
I make huge batches of curry, with this as the framework: http://recipe-and-wine-reviews.worksavvyfreedom.com/jenns-beef-panang-with-green-beans/ But I'll use really any veggies I have on hand, including frozen veggie mixes, and whatever protein- sometimes chicken, sometimes ground beef, sometimes chopped up roast or steak. Whatever I have on hand from sales or random cuts I dig out of the freezer (we buy 1/4 cow at a time).
I've done this recipe a few times, and it's firmly in rotation. Also makes a great salad topping. Notes: check the comments section for recipe modifications with the spices. Also, I use a different tzaziki recipe that has me salt/drain the cucumber first so it stays stable in the fridge better and doesn't end up with "wet pockets" https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/instant-pot-beef-gyros/
I make massive batches of this. Even my soup-hating husband loves it: https://www.budgetbytes.com/chicken-lime-soup/

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2018, 11:55:14 AM »
All of Budget Bytes is fantastic:
https://www.budgetbytes.com/

I bring these in for lunches and store them in the fridge at work, they last the week:
https://www.budgetbytes.com/spinach-white-bean-enchiladas-pepper-jack-sauce/
https://www.budgetbytes.com/vegetable-enchilada-casserole/

America's Test Kitchen has a great frozen burrito recipe in their Make Ahead Cookbook:
https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/7346-beef-and-bean-burritos
- They keep for a month and make a great quick meal.

Betty Crocker has a super cheap meal that'll last for a few days:
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/easy-chicken-pot-pie/

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »

Broccoli
water
stock

This is true with any vegetable. I made a really awesome mushroom soup recently with 1 leek, sliced and sauteed, 1 pound of cremini mushrooms and just enough water to cover. Then I pureed it with a stick blender.

I pick mushrooms in the forest and dry them. I take a generous handful of dried mushrooms in the morning and put it in water. When I get back home at night I take the mushrooms out of the fridge and they are now soft and have absorbed most of the water. I then fry the mushrooms in a pot and when they are a nice color I add stock and cream, water if necessary. I then use salt and pepper and lemon to season it. I usually don't use the blender for this one or I scoop out 1-2 ladles of soup and blend the rest and then add back the unblended mushrooms to have some pieces left. A bit more work but also very good. I use whatever mushrooms I have but mostly ceps,  leccinium family mushrooms and field mushrooms for this soup. If I have plenty of funnel chanterelle I might use them but my favorite spot has been destroyed so I rarely find more than a couple of handfuls nowadays.

While there is always an element of danger due to poisonous mushrooms, mushroom picking is a relaxing and mustaschian hobby. You don't need that much to start up with it and you get stuff you can eat from it.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 03:02:48 AM »
Quiche: I cook five days' worth and take it to work every Monday. 2 eggs to every cup of milk, scale up as necessary. Add scraps of meat and vegetables, plus some cheese, cook at 150 degrees Celsius for 1 hour.

vern

• Pencil Stache

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2018, 06:18:30 AM »
Skillet roasted whole chicken and stuffing...

http://itsallaboutpurple-debbie.blogspot.com/2014/10/skillet-roasted-chicken-and-stuffing.html

That looks awesome! I will have to try that sometime. I would probably put a chopped up apple inside the chicken though as I love the subtle flavor of apple that you get that way.

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »
OP - good on you for getting back on the healthy food wagon!  I've recently got back on, too.

Bag salads from Trader Joes are great during warm weather.  In cool weather, I eat lots of soups.  Some I make, some are the good boxed and canned ones, like Wolfgang Puck, Amy's, etc.

I've been buying pork chops and frozen skinless, boneless chicken thighs.  When I get them, I portion them into meal sizes and put in baggies and pop in the freezer.

I like to poach a chicken thigh or two or pan saute a couple of pork chops.  Then I add a very tasty sauce or condiment.

I'm on a no grain, no starch, no carb diet.  So no rice, pasta, etc.  Just meat, sauce/condiment and veggies.

Here is a list of things I keep in the frig or pantry to use on meat for flavor:
Pesto with parmesan cheese
Alfredo sauce
Olive tapenade
Eggplant tapenade
Mustard - various kinds.  Grainy dijon is my fav.
Marinated artichoke hearts with a bit of the oil.  I chop them and put on chicken.
Compound herb butters I make in the summer.
Soy sauce, low sodium
Hoisin sauce
Hot sauce.  I like Chinese kind.
Steak sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Sour cream - mostly to add to soups, like butternut squash
Roasted red bell peppers in a glass jar.  I chop them.
Balsamic vinegar
Salad dressing
Anchovies.  I rinse to remove salt then chop them.  Add to Caesar's salad. 

I make the tapenades but you can buy them in the grocery store.

Cooking the pork chops takes less than 20 minutes.  Poaching chicken takes less than 10.

I live near Canada so fresh herbs are available only in summer.  So I make big batches of pesto and compound herb butters.  After making, I put them in ice cube trays and freeze.  When frozen, I move cubes to little baggies and label with name and date.  This way I have lovely strong herb flavors all year.

Let me know if you want me to post a compound herb butter recipe.  A big batch takes an hour or two if you have a food processor.  Or borrow one for a few days.

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2018, 02:06:29 PM »
I also make a lot of Frittatas when have I guests to lunch.  I make a big one in a lasagne pan.

These could work well for your family meals, OP.

Frittata ideas

All recipes make around 6 servings
Cook at 350F or 180C for 40 min - 1hr or more until set in middle.  Time depends on thickness & ingredients.
I place garlic on table for guests (dried or fresh crushed) because my tum can’t handle it any longer.

Leek, gorgonzola
2-3 medium leeks or 4-5 small, chopped or thinly sliced.  Saute 3 - 4 min
4-6 oz gorgonzola, crumbled
Pinch nutmeg or cinnamon
Pepper
Eggs 5 - 8
Cream or milk

Ham, emmenthal or cheddar
1.5 c cooked ham, skin removed, chopped
  or cooked, chopped bacon
3/4 c emmenthal cheese, grated
Spinach - 2 c fresh and lightly cooked until wilted
  or 1 pkg frozen, chopped, liquid squeezed out
Eggs 5 - 8
Cream or milk
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
Nutmeg
Pepper

Pesto, parmesan
1/2 c pine nuts, toasted in pan
1/2 c or more pesto
3/4 c parmesan cheese, grated
Eggs 5 - 8
Cream or milk
Pepper

Eggplant, roasted red pepper
1 lg eggplant, peeled, cubed
3 scallions, sliced
1 t Worcestershire sauce
6 oz jar of roasted red bell pepper, drained, chopped
1 onion, sliced
Salt eggplant pieces and let sit in colander in idk or over a plate for 1 hour.  Discard liquid.  Then rinse and drain.
Preheat broiler. 
Cook onion and scallion in a bit of oil until onion just starts to caramelize.
Spray oil on a baking pan.  Spread out eggplant.  Spray oil on eggplant.
Broil on top rack for 3min.  Flip pieces and broil 3 min more.
Make frittata as usual after above prep.

Crab meat - 1 c
Gruyere, grated - 1 c
Saga blue cheese, rind removed, chopped - 1 c
Nutmeg

Roquefort blue cheese
smaller amount parmesan
nutmeg

Mushroom, gruyere
8 oz wild mushrooms (morel, porcini, cremini, or chanterelle)
2 Tbsp butter, unsalted
1/2 c peeled shallots (minced in mini food processor)
1 Tbsp dry sherry
5 eggs
1/4 nutmeg, freshly grated
1.25 c whole milk
1.25 c cream
2.5 oz grated gruyere or aged gruyere
salt & pepper
optional: add 12 oz spinach

Gruyere, spinach
3 oz gruyere, grated
12 oz baby spinach leaves, stems removed, chopped
1 leek

Goat cheese
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled Ardsallagh
1/4 c grated gruyere
1/2 c parmesan, grated
cream
milk
small onion
thyme
Salt & Pepper
nutmeg
thyme leaves

Montrachet goat cheese - 1.5 c / 6 oz
Toasted pecans - 2/3 c
Thyme - 1 t fresh or 1/4 t dried
Pepper

Zucchini
6 small zucchinis, ends removed, thinly sliced
1 med onion
salt & pepper
1 t ground tumeric, optional
1/2 garlic cloves, minced
spinach leaves or flat leaf parsley
grated cheese

Sausage, bell pepper
3 lg links, removed from casing, crumbled, cooked
1/2 or 3/4 c cheddar or jack cheese
2 red / orange bell peppers, thinly sliced lengthwise
1/2 onion, chopped, lightly sautéed
Eggs 5 - 8
Cream or milk
Pepper

Roasted vegetable
1 small zucchini, 1inch diam slices
1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
Oil for roasting 2 Tbsp
3/4 c Gruyere, grated
Combine veggies in bowl with oil.  Spread on baking pan and roast for 20 -30 minutes at 350F.
Grease casserole dish, add veggies, then other ingredients.
Frittata may take less time to cook due to cooked, hot veggies.  Check at 30 minutes.

Broccoli & cheddar w/ onion

Mushroom, ham, brie
Mixed mushrooms - not button
2 shallots, sliced
Saute mushroom and shallot slices before adding to dish.  Mushrooms should release water.
Remove rind from brie while room temp, refrigerate then chop

Crab, gruyere or havarti
1 lb fresh crabmeat, drained
4 oz or more gruyere, grated
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp or less dijon mustard

Turkey bacon, mushroom, Fontina
6 strips or more turkey bacon
3/4 c sliced mushrooms,
  sautéed until water released (6 min)
2 shallots
spinach
1/2 c grated Fontina cheese
Nutmeg

Caramelized onion, mushroom, gruyere
1 lg onion, thinly sliced, sautéed til carmelized
8 oz mixed mushrooms, not button, sliced,
  separately sautéed until water released (6 min)
Dijon mustard
2/3 c gruyere, grated
1 t dry thyme

Nicoise fritatta minus tuna
Olives
Green beans, blanched
Tiny red potatoes
Anchovies
Tomatoes

Lorraine
Spinach, wilted
Gruyere
Chopped bacon, cooked tender
Nutmeg

Pancetta, mushroom, sage, caramelized shallots
4 oz pancetta, diced ( or 3 slices thick-cut bacon)
1 tbsp butter
3 shallots, sliced (makes 1 cup)
1 lb oyster mushrooms
8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup fresh arugula
6 eggs
1½ cups heavy cream
1½ cups whole milk
salt & pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 cup gruyere cheese
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:11:24 PM by profnot »

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2018, 12:11:09 PM »
This thread in particular has really inspired me - not sure why, since there have been countless other cooking/recipe threads on the forum! Maybe it's because I'm 8 months pregnant and in full-on nesting mode.

-This is literally the only gnocchi recipe I've ever gotten to work for me: https://www.kcet.org/food/recipe-potato-gnocchi-with-browned-butter-and-sage (Recipe from America's Test Kitchen, but without the paywall) It's actually pretty easy to make and I whipped up 6 lb's worth of gnocchi in a day. Now I have hundreds of gnocchi sitting in my freezer for whenever the craving hits.  Best part is they cook up in 2-3 mins, even from frozen.

Another ATK recipe I loved: Beef and Vegetable Soup.
-I subbed ground beef for the sirloin tips b/c that's what I had on hand. I did everything up to adding the broth and simmering, so whenever I want to make it, all I have to do is dump the bag of meat/veggies into a pot (or InstantPot), add broth, and go from there. I did blanch the potatoes so they won't get ruined in the freezer. http://www.geniuskitchen.com/amp/recipe/beef-and-vegetable-soup-americas-test-kitchen-367848

-Bolognese, perfect accompaniment for aforementioned gnocchi: https://atkfamily.com/recipes/pasta-with-classic-bolognese-sauce/

I love ATK and have rarely had a dud from them. Downside is their recipes tend to be more work, but I find the food really does taste a lot better and is often worth it. Makes eating at home/healthy much more enjoyable.

-If you're interested in Indian cooking and willing to make the upfront effort to buy a bunch of new ingredients, I highly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/660-Curries-Raghavan-Iyer/dp/0761137874  Once I got over the mental hurdle, I realized Indian cooking is actually pretty easy and most recipes follow the same basic formula. Some of the recipes are more involved, granted, but many are really quick to whip up. Not to mention healthy. Can't speak to how well they freeze, though I imagine many of the lentil-based ones would do pretty well.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2018, 03:17:39 AM »
I remember another great recipe that I make that is very simple, filling and tasty.

Fry curry powder in butter, ghee or a plain vegetable oil. Add a little turmeric if the curry powder is not providing enough color in your opinion. Add roughly half an onion per serving. Fry it well in the curry mix. Add either chicken or salmon to the dish. I use between 1/2-1 chicken breast or similar amounts of de-boned thigh per person and roughly 2/3 to 1 serving of salmon per person for this recipe. Fry that as well in the curry and onion mix. Add a small amount of water, around half a cup for 2-3 servings and add slightly more for each additional serving. Add roughly 1 apple per serving (sliced into thin slices) and one potato (small pieces). Let it simmer for a while and add more water if the blend looks dry. Then add cream (single or double) or a milk-free option such as coconut milk. Let it cook until the apples and potatoes are soft. Add salt. Add lime and chili if you like to the finished plate. Eat with rice or make a pie of it by adding a pie crust on top and bake it in the oven. You can substitute the apple for red pepper as well but then I suggest that you fry it with the onion. You can also reduce the amount of chicken and add some beans to it or make a vegetarian version with chickpeas but I prefer the chicken or meat based version myself and the cream rather than coconut milk version.

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2018, 04:36:19 PM »
Do you like Indian food?  Chana makhani is DELISH and super easy to make (either right away, or in a big batch).  It takes about 5 minutes. It's creamy, flavorful, and cheap.

Ingredients (single batch, feeds 4):

1 can Chickpeas, rinsed
1 can tomato sauce
Cream: about 1/4 cup (enough to change the color. I always eyeball it, like I do when adding milk to tea.)
Spices: garam masala, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, optional turmeric. 

(I usually also add ginger powder, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, and nutmeg, but all those things are usually already in the garam masala (except maybe the turmeric) so it's kind of extra).

Directions:
I put the garam masala and other spices in a pan with a bit of oil to toast them.  When they start to sizzle, add tomato sauce and chickpeas.  Cook for a few minutes to mix the seasonings with the sauce well.  Then add the cream, mix thoroughly, and it's done.  Serve over rice or quiona or with naan, if you have it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2018, 07:30:20 PM »
After watching the “Parts Unknown” (Anthony Bourdain) episodes from Okinawa and Hawaii back-to-back, I decided to make taco rice, which is apparently just taco meat on rice but is much loved in those places. I loaded up the meat mix with vegetables (bell and pasilla peppers, red onion, carrots, potato, tomato, cilantro), topped it with avocado and salsa, and it made a really satisfying dinner (and I didn’t have to make tortillas!). It would be super easy to scale up to a large batch.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2018, 07:37:50 PM »
After watching the “Parts Unknown” (Anthony Bourdain) episodes from Okinawa and Hawaii back-to-back, I decided to make taco rice, which is apparently just taco meat on rice but is much loved in those places. I loaded up the meat mix with vegetables (bell and pasilla peppers, red onion, carrots, potato, tomato, cilantro), topped it with avocado and salsa, and it made a really satisfying dinner (and I didn’t have to make tortillas!). It would be super easy to scale up to a large batch.

This is actually one of my husband and my main meals. We call them "taco bowls". Rice, ground beef with taco seasoning (I make it from scratch), then topped with salsas (red and green, I can them), guac if we have it, sour cream, sometimes cheese. Depending on the veggies we have on hand, we'll throw in lettuce, fajita style pepper and onions, etc. Sometimes we do without veg if we had a big salad for lunch or similar.

87tweetybirds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2018, 03:37:04 AM »
I do lasagna, and my own version of enchiladas, usually in big batches so I bake one batch right then and freeze one or two other pans. I've done big batches of chili and soups, eat what you want for a few meals and freeze the rest. Our favorite soup is probably Zuppatoscana. A google search should pull it up.

Also easy (but does take some anticipation because of cook time) chicken and rice.
1c uncooked rice
1 package onion soup mix
1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of mushroom
mix together
then mix in 2 cups of water until all is mixed well. I usually mix it all in the 9x13 pan I bake it in.
Then top with chicken pieces, I usually use drums, thighs or quarters. Try to get them submerged in the liquid so they don't burn. Depending on the size of your chicken pieces its somewhere between 4-8 pieces usually.
bake at 350 uncovered for 1.5-2 hours until chicken and rice are both done

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »
Palak Paneer (we may differ on definition of easy but this is a damn good dish)
16oz fresh spinach
Butter or oil
16oz paneer
2 onion
Salt
4 t whole cumin seeds
10 cloves garlic
4 t garam masala – or use like 1 t each of coriander, mustard, cinnamon, turmeric (optional), and chili powder/paprika
Crushed red pepper to taste
5 bay leaves
Ginger
4 med tomatoes
4 oz heavy cream
lime wedges or slices (optional)

1.   Boil the water in a large pot. Add all of the spinach leaves and cook for maybe 3-5 minutes. Then strain them and add them to a strainer and run cold water over them until they’ve stopped cooking.
2.   Blend the spinach leaves in a blender, adding a little bit of water to them if needed to get them to blend. Set the puree aside.
3.   Cut the paneer into cubes, maybe ¾-1 inch on each side. Fry them in butter or oil until they’ve browned nicely on a few sides and then set aside.
4.   Chop the onion and tomatoes into cubes. If you want you can also chop a bell pepper fine and  Mince the garlic.
5.   Fry the onion and whole cumin seeds in more butter or oil with a bit of salt until the onion is translucent and starting to brown.
6.   Add the garlic, garam masala or its component spices, crushed red pepper if using, and bay leaves; continue to cook. Grate in about ½ an inch of ginger. I use frozen real ginger.
7.   Add the tomatoes, including the liquid, and cook until the liquid is starting to reduce and it all comes together into a sauce.
8.   Add the heavy cream and spinach puree and cook for 5 minutes.
9.   Add the paneer and cook for 10 minutes until paneer is soft.
10.   Stir in the heavy cream and serve with rice or quinoa, with optional lime wedges and more red pepper flakes on the top as garnish. For extra decadence stir a bit of butter into the rice/quinoa first.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:08:04 PM by grantmeaname »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2018, 03:07:43 PM »
Avgolemono
Whole chicken
2 c (total guess here) white rice (Gotta be white. This is literally the only thing I use white rice for. Brown just doesn't work.)
3 Eggs
5 lemons

Take a whole chicken (no giblets) and place in a large pot. Cover with water and put a healthy amount of salt in (You can always add more to taste later)

Cook for approx 1.5 hours on a simmer, you will know it is ready when the chicken falls apart when you push on it with a spoon.

Take out all of the chicken, you might want to use a fine mesh sieve if you are bothered by the possibility of small bits of cartilage you may have missed. When I cook it for myself I usually yolo it and just do the best I can with a slotted wooden spoon.

Taste the broth, add salt if needed. Pour white rice into the broth.

While the rice cooks, de-bone/skin the chicken and put meat pieces into the broth as you go along.

Cut one lemon into pretty slices. Cut some nice big strips of lemon peel that will be easy to retrieve from the soup out of the other four, then juice them.

After that, crack three eggs into a bowl and, while stirring vigorously, add the lemon juice.

Once the rice is fully cooked, turn off the heat and temper the egg mixture so that they don't curdle when added the soup. (To temper just add hot soup to the egg mixture one spoonful at a time while stirring vigorously until the mixture is mostly up to heat.) Then pour the mixture and lemon peel pieces into the soup pot and stir the whole thing a few times. Let it cook for a few minutes.

All done and ready to serve with a purty lemon slice in each bowl.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:13:48 PM by grantmeaname »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2018, 03:14:57 PM »
This african peanut stew. It's so different from any other dish I've ever eaten, and it's delicious. Props to @Russ for discovering.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!