Author Topic: Set your A/C at 80 degree F during summer  (Read 10455 times)

JSMustachian

• Stubble
Re: Set your A/C at 80 degree F during summer
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2019, 09:04:51 AM »
We set our AC to 80 during the day, 78 when we come home from work, and 76 when we sleep.

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »
Don't have AC, but if I did I'd set it to 23. With proper management we stay below 25 anyway, so it's barely necessary.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »
I think there is a bit of apples and oranges in this question.
 It's not the heat it's the humidity!
If you live in Pasadena California, you can have high 80s temp and below 39% humidity.
In Florida last month we had a day of 80 degrees and 96% humidity.
 We generally run at 78* and I bump to 77* if I'm hot.
Years ago I ran a dehumidifier, when I got the humidity under 40*,
I could raise the temp 4* and still feel dry and comfortable.
 The problem with the dehumidifier was that it created a lot of heat and where ever
you put it, it got warmer.  That and they also recalled my Kenmore dehumidifier because of a fire hazard.
   I just came in from outside, it's 96* with 46% humidity, I bumped the thermostat from 78* down
 to 77* and the humidity has dropped from 47% to 46%.
 I'm comfortable, but I'm wearing shorts and no shirt and the fan is running on high.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 12:25:04 PM by BTDretire »

YYK

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2019, 10:34:51 AM »
I let it get up to about 82 during the day. The upstairs in my townhome, where I sleep and spend most of my time, seems to be usually 10 degrees warmer, so my actual tolerable waking hours temp is probably in the 90s. I run the A/C for about ten minutes before bed and run a fan all night in the bedroom.

Conversely, in the winter I keep the heat at 63 during the day (only when I'm in the house) and turn it off at night. Lowest it ever gets is about 53. I wear a t-shirt (sometimes two) and sweat pants day and night.

FLAFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »
76 Daytime (architecture and insulation of our home optimized for sub-tropical heat)   

72 Nighttime

In FLA., AC plays an important role in keeping humidity levels below 56% to avoid mold issues.   

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2019, 11:09:36 AM »
Don't have AC, but if I did I'd set it to 23. With proper management we stay below 25 anyway, so it's barely necessary.

Wow that's cold. I'd turn on the heat if I were you. Water freezes at 32.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2019, 12:03:18 PM »

Are you joking, I hope? 25 c = 77 fcftp://

Wow that's cold. I'd turn on the heat if I were you. Water freezes at 32.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 12:05:23 PM by tipster350 »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2019, 12:26:18 PM »
It's programmed at 78 when we're home, 82 when we're away, 74 right before bed, and 76 while we are/should be asleep.  My husband will turn it down occasionally, but it's set to only hold changes for 2 hours before reverting back to the program.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2019, 12:29:58 PM »
Goodbye $40 power bill.  See you again in the late fall.
$40?  That's a good deal.  If I shut off my main breaker and use no electricity, I still pay about $50 for my electric bill just for having the service available.  Averages closer to $120/mo, not much higher in the summer with AC.  And that's just electricity - natural gas is a separate bill.
My municipal utility district charges a bit over $20/mo as the minimum fixed charge for my residential electrical service. My average bill over the last 24 months was $72/mo.

My gas company's minimum charge is about $3/month. Last 24 months average gas bill (space heating only) was $20/mo after credits.

For those running AC in humid conditions, someone in another thread recommended using the lowest fan speed on your AC to do a better job drying the air.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »
Goodbye $40 power bill.  See you again in the late fall.
$40?  That's a good deal.  If I shut off my main breaker and use no electricity, I still pay about $50 for my electric bill just for having the service available.  Averages closer to $120/mo, not much higher in the summer with AC.  And that's just electricity - natural gas is a separate bill.
My municipal utility district charges a bit over $20/mo as the minimum fixed charge for my residential electrical service. My average bill over the last 24 months was $72/mo.

My gas company's minimum charge is about $3/month. Last 24 months average gas bill (space heating only) was $20/mo after credits.

For those running AC in humid conditions, someone in another thread recommended using the lowest fan speed on your AC to do a better job drying the air.

Interesting, I've never heard that suggestion before. Unfortunately our fan only has one speed: helicopter

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »
Even 72 is hot for me when it comes to sleeping.

That said, we have a portable a/c in our bedroom that is set at 72 when we go to bed.  I can't sleep without it.  72 is actually a push toward mild discomfort, but I can still get some sleep. 

Wow so cool for summer.  LOL.  That's about where I keep mine in the winter and use blankets.  About 78 to 80 for summer sleeping.

Even when we lived in Germany, the heat never went on in our bedroom.  Like, in three years there, including nights in the teens (F), I don't think we ever turned on the radiator in the bedroom.  I was perfectly happy tucked under the covers watching the cloud-puffs of my breath in the frigid bedroom air.  40* in the bedroom?  No problem!  Actually, even during the day it was often in the high 40s or low 50s in our house.  Another sweater, a wool hat, and a hot water bottle if I wasn't active, and I could adapt to the point I wasn't uncomfortable. 

It's only gotten worse with perimenopause and night time hot flashes, and night sweats. 

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2019, 04:26:19 PM »
I think there is a bit of apples and oranges in this question.
 It's not the heat it's the humidity!
Exactly.  I live in Atlanta, and 78 is about as high as I can go and keep both myself and my dog comfortable.  I also sleep better in cooler conditions, so I turn it down to 76 at night (and have a ceiling fan running wide open).  I'm considering turning it down even lower at night because good sleep is pretty important to overall health.  Probably more important than saving an extra $10-20 on my energy bill.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2019, 04:56:18 PM »
I generally set my A/C on a shelf in the basement and leave it there.

Sultan58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2019, 06:56:36 PM »
I have dialed this in exactly, and 77F is the maximum upper temp DW will tolerate before she starts to want me dead.  Therefore, it is set to 77F.

That, Sir, is hilarious!!

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2019, 05:55:51 AM »
We have ours set at 78 during the day and 80 from 11pm-5am. We should all be asleep and not notice the slight change on those super hot evenings. We may have to adjust it a bit this year as we now have a dog that runs very hot. Even with a shaved coat, he pants heavily.

Honestly, if I sit for more than 20 minutes at 78, I am likely to be reaching for a blanket. I run cold and AC is super chilly to me.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2019, 06:07:03 AM »
Out of DFW, TX here. We have a 3-tier system: 85 when we're not home, 78 when we are, and 76 to sleep. Closed the vents to the areas of the house we don't use as often, so it only cools the bedroom, kitchen, and living room. I'm typically the one turning it lower. And I turn it to 72 when we have guests (extra warm bodies make it impossible to cool).

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2019, 06:22:50 AM »
Tampa Bay man here... 80F during the day if someone home, otherwise 82F. 79F at night. We have low ceilings and tile/laminate in the house. And ceiling fans in every room.  We sleep with light covers/sheets, none of that heavy blanket business until temps hit the 50s.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2019, 06:28:01 AM »
80 during the day. The house is pretty shaded and I can keep the blinds down if it is super hot outside. I run a ceiling fan as needed. At night I get easly overheated (thanks to menopause) and turn it down to 70 or 68 from about 10pm to 5am. The house tends to hold that cooler temp pretty well - which is why I can set it at 80 during the day. I've tried setting it warmer at night but end up a sweaty sleepless homicidal mess.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2019, 06:58:31 AM »
78F - at the peak of humidity I sometimes turn it down to 76 for a few hours.
80F when we are out.

Bedroom - we also use a ceiling fan mostly at night.
Living Room - ceiling fan as needed.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2019, 08:24:19 AM »
We have window units, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Usually keep them at 78-80 unless the cats are visibly suffering from heat. We'd turn it down to 75-76 or so when we had our 19-year-old elderly lady because she would just flop around looking miserable and had a lot of health issues.

We got our current cats in late August last year and it wasn't that hot by then, so I don't know how these guys are going to deal with high summer. I guess we will find out!

Goatee Joe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2019, 08:29:05 AM »
This may not be feasible in the US, but where I live (Denmark) the locals do you one better:  they have absolutely no AC.  The answer is, when it's hot (which isn't that often) just open up all the windows.  It's actually pretty hot here today (about 77 F) which makes it about 82 indoors.  Pretty warm but I've popped all the windows open plus opened the skylights, and with a slight breeze it's tolerable.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »
This may not be feasible in the US, but where I live (Denmark) the locals do you one better:  they have absolutely no AC.  The answer is, when it's hot (which isn't that often) just open up all the windows.  It's actually pretty hot here today (about 77 F) which makes it about 82 indoors.  Pretty warm but I've popped all the windows open plus opened the skylights, and with a slight breeze it's tolerable.

Well I once lived in a house with no AC in the summer during college.  It.  Sucked.  I remember laying awake at midnight with all windows open and fans blasting me, waiting for it to cool down below 85 inside.  And this is in the northern US, I can only imagine further south...

Probably not feasible for the vast majority of the US.  Maybe except some western coastal areas.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 08:51:04 AM by dignam »

cowpuncher10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2019, 08:56:14 AM »
77 During the day
79 if we aren't home during the day
74/75 at night

damnedbee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2019, 09:05:43 AM »
Life is too short to be uncomfortable in your own home.

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2019, 10:13:27 AM »
I don't know how you're managing your house temperatures, but on days where it goes up to 32C outside, I am still below 25C inside. Precisely because I close all the windows during the day.

Having inside temperatures be higher than outdoors suggests a bad temperature management strategy.

Clever Name

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »
I currently have mine set to 75 in the summer, but most of the time it's cool enough here (and my house is designed/insulated well enough) that this results in no more than a few hours per week of actual usage.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2019, 10:26:09 AM »
Set to 82 when we are away 80 when we are home and 78 when we sleep. Every once in a while if we are cooking or really active we might bump it down to 79 though. We also keep a couple of fans running to help circulation and we open up the house in the morning and the evening if it's cool and setup fans to make a cross breeze to exchange air. That seems to work well.

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2019, 10:57:39 AM »
Here in southern Arizona we keep our A/C at:

Normal: 80F
"Saving money setting": 82F
When cooking dinner (a noticeable increase in temp from gas burners/oven): 78F

Off when not home, off from around 8 pm to around lunchtime the next day. Also, during the hottest part of summer (July/August), we will keep it on at night at 82F if needed.

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »
76 during the day, 72 in the bedroom at night (we have zones).  Even 76 gets uncomfortable for me sometimes and I'll drop to 75.  I think it's because it gets to 77+ before the AC turns on and for that time period, it just feels too hot.  This is one place where saving just isn't worth it to us.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2019, 12:32:20 PM »
Didn’t have it most of my life and I am not sweating in my golden years.  70 degrees for us.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2019, 02:46:55 PM »

Well I once lived in a house with no AC in the summer during college.  It.  Sucked.  I remember laying awake at midnight with all windows open and fans blasting me, waiting for it to cool down below 85 inside.  And this is in the northern US, I can only imagine further south...

Probably not feasible for the vast majority of the US.  Maybe except some western coastal areas.

Plenty of people live without AC in the US. I grew up with no AC in Virginia. Not the hottest part of the country but humid and usually had a few days over 100F each year. Sleeping with the windows open was fine...most of the time anyway. Interestingly, I did notice that visiting someone with AC for even part of a day made it more difficult to be without. Amazing how our bodies acclimate.

Now I live in a small apartment under an attic with poor ventilation. We turn the AC off during the day while we're away and on the hottest days of the year the thermostat will read 95F when we get home. Actual temp may be higher but that's where the thermostat tops out. When SO is home we usually keep it in the 78-80 range, 76-77 for sleeping. If it's just me sometimes I'll turn it off and see how long I can stand it. I find that subjecting myself to extremes occasionally makes everything else seem comfortable.

I recognize that people are different and it might not work for everyone, but I think we should try to push our limits every once in a while. You might be surprised what your body can do.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2019, 03:16:54 PM »
"According to the National Sleep Foundation, a general range for the optimal room temperature for sleep is between 60 and 67 degrees."

https://www.verywellhealth.com/best-temperature-for-sleep-4428089

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2019, 06:21:47 AM »
The most fun thing about trying to control the temp in the bedroom is if you put me in a room of less than 800 sq ft, just by existing I will raise the temperature in that room by 8-9°F within 2 hours. Maybe I should just put a window unit in the bedroom.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2019, 06:52:54 AM »
The most fun thing about trying to control the temp in the bedroom is if you put me in a room of less than 800 sq ft, just by existing I will raise the temperature in that room by 8-9°F within 2 hours. Maybe I should just put a window unit in the bedroom.

You must really be on FIRE!
 Average body puts out the equivalent of a 100 watt light bulb.
https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae420.cfm
http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/studentdownloads/DEA3500notes/Thermal/thcondnotes.html

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2019, 07:21:03 AM »
77 during the day when not at home and 72 when I get home.  I like it cold when I sleep.  One of the first things I do when I get out of bed is turn the thermostat to 77.  It doesnt warm up in the 30min between getting ready for work and heading out.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2019, 08:19:18 AM »
77 during the day when not at home and 72 when I get home.  I like it cold when I sleep.  One of the first things I do when I get out of bed is turn the thermostat to 77.  It doesnt warm up in the 30min between getting ready for work and heading out.

Is there a reason you don't go higher than 77 while you're out of the house? How long does cooling from 77 to 72 take?

Home Stretch

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2019, 08:29:23 AM »
A) 74
B) 76

Where I live we have hot, super-humid summers. As long as the humidity is kept relatively low I can deal with 76 in the house, but I like to keep it at 74.

Now here's where I am not Mustachian at all - at night we have it set to go down to 71(!). Fun fact: your body naturally heats up when you sleep and we've found that we sleep much better through the night when the house is below 73 degrees. It would be tough to justify the $10/mo savings vs. the decreased quality of sleep.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2019, 08:31:19 AM »

Is there a reason you don't go higher than 77 while you're out of the house? How long does cooling from 77 to 72 take?
A proper sized system struggles to rapidly cool a home. At least HVAC experts claim that a small system that has to run nearly nonstop to cool is more efficient than a larger one that frequently turns on and off.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2019, 08:32:51 AM »

A proper sized system struggles to rapidly cool a home. At least HVAC experts claim that a small system that has to run nearly nonstop to cool is more efficient than a larger one that frequently turns on and off.
Plus the nearly non stop running helps keep the humidity lower.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »

http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/studentdownloads/DEA3500notes/Thermal/thcondnotes.html

My BMR is ~4k calories a day (not TDEE, just the amount I burn if I didn't move all day). The trials and tribulations of being a competitive strongman.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2019, 11:06:52 AM »
The idea that running your A/C constantly is more energy efficient than letting temperatures rise and fall with occupancy and need is a myth.

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/thermostats

DOE recommended 78 as your cooling temperature when you are home and higher when you are away.  They recommend setbacks be at least 8 hours long to save energy though.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2019, 11:55:03 AM »
The idea that running your A/C constantly is more energy efficient than letting temperatures rise and fall with occupancy and need is a myth.
What about the idea that a system that can quickly bring the house to the desired temperature is less efficient than a system that needs to run nearly constantly to maintain the temperature. Sure, it uses less energy to let the house float up to 85 when you're gone, but if it takes 2 hours to get it back to 78 when you return, it might not be acceptable.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2019, 12:21:03 PM »
What about the idea that a system that can quickly bring the house to the desired temperature is less efficient than a system that needs to run nearly constantly to maintain the temperature. Sure, it uses less energy to let the house float up to 85 when you're gone, but if it takes 2 hours to get it back to 78 when you return, it might not be acceptable.

This is what I was getting at with my question to Enigma. If the extended cooling down period is why someone doesn't go higher during the day, I get it. But if you're AC can cool the house down quickly then why not go a little higher? In fact, if you have an oversized unit that brings the temperature down quickly, it's even more of a problem to set at a temperature low enough to cause it to cut on and off all day. This uses more energy and decreases the life of the unit.

Of course the best solution would be to have the right sized unit but some people might have a unit too large that wouldn't make sense to replace or they rent and don't have the option.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2019, 01:02:04 PM »

I have no idea.  A modern smart thermostat can take care of that question for you though.  You say "be 78 by 5 p.m." and it learns what time to turn the A/C back on to make that happen.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »
A:73
B:74?

I keep mentioning we might need to move further north, but I don't think the wife is on board. Plus it would have to be Alaska, or become Canadian.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2019, 01:37:11 PM »

My BMR is ~4k calories a day (not TDEE, just the amount I burn if I didn't move all day). The trials and tribulations of being a competitive strongman.

So maybe, maybe you are a 200 watt light bulb but that would only be when you are exerting yourself.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20190605/researchers-identify-maximum-human-exertion
"humans can only burn calories at 2.5 times their resting metabolic rate."
  Ok, it's been interesting. I learned a few things.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
So maybe, maybe you are a 200 watt light bulb but that would only be when you are exerting yourself.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20190605/researchers-identify-maximum-human-exertion
No, he's a 200 W radiator sitting at rest (perhaps as low as 160 W when laying down) - the 100 W average was based on an average 2000 calorie daily burn. According to your links he can sustain 500 W and might peak at 600 W for brief periods. At rest Brute is burning as many calories as many people do when working out.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-energy-does-it-take-to-raise-the-temperature-of-an-average-room-by-10-degrees
The math works out. Put brute in a 6400 cu. ft. room (800 sq. ft. x 8 ft.) that is perfectly insulated and at 200 W he can raise the temperature by 9°F (5°C) in about 97 minutes (2 hours at 160 W).

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »

No, he's a 200 W radiator sitting at rest (perhaps as low as 160 W when laying down) - the 100 W average was based on an average 2000 calorie daily burn. According to your links he can sustain 500 W and might peak at 600 W for brief periods. At rest Brute is burning as many calories as many people do when working out.
  As I understood it the 100 watts included exertion time not just resting metabolic rate.
 We have no idea what his resting metabolic rate is, I doubt it's twice the average, but admit it's increased over the 100 watt number.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-energy-does-it-take-to-raise-the-temperature-of-an-average-room-by-10-degrees
The math works out. Put brute in a 6400 cu. ft. room (800 sq. ft. x 8 ft.) that is perfectly insulated and at 200 W he can raise the temperature by 9°F (5°C) in about 97 minutes (2 hours at 160 W).
It is much closer than I expected, even though I believe his resting metabolic rate is less then 200 watts and no room is perfectly insulated plus any drafts, so maybe we I can call his statement puffery and not an exaggeration. :-)

PS, I'm sure I have and will use exaggeration, to make a point, so no harm.
 I learned even more, didn't think one human would have that much effect on temperature.
Now how about winter time use of incandescent bulbs vs LEDs, I suspect the increased furnace use
was never considered when saying LEDs will cut electric use by X%. :-)

FRT15

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2019, 08:21:30 PM »
Minnesota resident here.  I have not used my central ac for 3 years now.   I don't like blowing air through the house after running the furnace all winter.   House may 85 for some days during the summer.  While that is warm I really enjoy not running the equipment.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2019, 03:39:44 AM »
Seriously guys. Sometimes I think no one here has actually read the blog.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/06/14/the-worlds-most-efficient-air-conditioner/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!