Author Topic: Screwy HR systems and not maxing my 401k  (Read 2033 times)

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
Screwy HR systems and not maxing my 401k
« on: September 30, 2015, 02:51:01 PM »
So this is a minor gripe-fest about work.

I am trying to max my 401k this year, but my job situation is making it more complex.  I started the year working at Megacorp with good HR systems, and contributed a good amount to my 401k before joining a new startup in April.

Long story short, the startup is horrible and financially stretched.  I gave my notice, with my last day being October 31st.  My new company has no systems in place to track what I contributed to my prior employers plan.

I've tried several times to change my 401k contributions so that I max out $18K before my departure.  I've now reset my contributions and talked to HR about it for the last three paychecks.  They've screwed it up every time.  First they didn't process the change, then they double-withheld, and this paycheck they stopped the contributions altogether.

I have now contributed $17.2K for the year, and am giving up.  If I try to contribute more, they're likely to screw it up and double-withhold again, or contribute above the limit for my PTO payout.  If they do over-withhold, I have no confidence in their ability to fix it, and only 50% confidence that the company will be around long enough to fix it anyways.

In the grand scheme of things, this is a minor gripe.  I'm just seriously annoyed that I can't even accomplish a simple task like maxing a 401k at work.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: Screwy HR systems and not maxing my 401k
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
Are you maxing your IRA as well?

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »
Are you maxing your IRA as well?

I'm far enough above the income limits that I wouldn't get any current-year tax benefit.  First world problems, I know.

BBub

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
you could do a backdoor roth.  No tax deduction, but at least you'll get to shelter $5,500 for life.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!