Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317685 times)

SticktothePlan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2150 on: May 15, 2015, 10:22:59 AM »
Hello! Been reading the MMM blog and forum for awhile. Just decided it is time for me to start contributing to the discussions. :)

I'm 36, live in Chicago with my awesome husband.  Hubs and I are debt free and focused on building the FU money for our future.  I get so inspired by the community here!

Dorje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ZenWave Audio
« Reply #2151 on: May 15, 2015, 11:10:25 AM »
Hi, Dorje here.

I'm a 40 yr old single male, I live in a house I bought about 5 years ago in beautiful Lafayette, CO. It's a modest ~1200 sqft home that I also run my business out of. I have a mechanical engineering degree from CU and am a serial entrepreneur which has left me in dicey financial situations my entire life. But, in exchange I have owned a few businesses and had a lot of great experiences pursuing my interests instead of working a daily grind.

Currently, I am running a business designing, manufacturing and selling high end audio products and plan on doing this consistently for a long time as I really enjoy it and am very good at it. It's sort of ironic that a pursuing an expensive luxury hobby led me to open a business in the field and then to this forum, and that my livelihood depends on folks that consume luxury goods, but everyone needs a hobby and listening to music is a meditative experience that is good for the soul.

So, now that my life situation is stabilizing and I own a business I am happy with I am attempting to improve my financial situation. Like most people I spend too much money on luxury items and expensive food and drink that isn't making me happy. Before I started my audio business I did some engineering consulting and had to go to court to get paid for a year of my time and ended up losing $100k even though I won in court (nobody really wins in court except for the lawyers). After that I spent even more money starting my current audio business. This has left me with about $30k in credit card debt (not bad when you think about how bad my financial situation has been the last 5 years). I shuffle the money around so I'm not paying high interest but I also have about $20k in student load debt that is around 4%. So I am starting from less than nothing but plan on becoming financially stable through spending less and making more!

I'm also Buddhist and I feel like waking up financially is part of waking up in general and leading a more mindful life. Buddhists have some ideas of what is "right action" financially, and I believe their concepts are compatible with most aspects of the kind of frugality endorsed here, especially awareness on what you are spending your money on and whether or not your spending habits are contributing to your happiness. Investing your money in ways that help others and alleviate suffering is also a key point.

Jerusha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2152 on: May 16, 2015, 04:18:27 PM »
Hi,  I'm Jerusha, nice to meet you all.  I am from Adelaide, South Australia.  I have been lurking around the MMM blog for a few months reading the back catalogue and thought it was about time to say Hi.

I am almost forty and single with two sons, one of whom has Autism Spectrum Disorder (Aspergers).  I grew up  in a country town, living a very simple life, not very different from the lifestyle promoted on this site.  Somehow through the years I lost my way and found myself in an alien place surrounded by others with very different values and goals.  Following the disintegration of my relationship with my partner and diagnosis of my son with ASD, I have reassessed my priorities and feel a need to get back to basics. 

Many of you seem to have come to this site mostly with an interest in personal finance, FI and escaping debt.  And whilst I was also drawn here for financial inspiration, the reason I stayed was because the simple, active honest lifestyle that MMM preaches is what I aspire too. 

barreloflafs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2153 on: May 19, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
Hello all,

I'm Carl...you know...Carl from NJ.  Right. That one...

Nearly 57 years old. Close enough. I work. I save. I hope.
Wife is 52.   A teacher.  With luck she will have a pension someday.  Our governor seems to disagree.
Baby graduated from college on Sunday.

Last night I told my wife (and I quote):  "3 years".
I don't think she believed me but I meant every word of it.
I wanted to say "2 years"....like I said..."i hope"....

best...........

Bambam100

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2154 on: May 19, 2015, 11:39:08 AM »
Hi, I'm Beth.  I've been lurking around here for a while.  I'm 56 and want to retire asap.  I've made some spectacularly stupid financial decisions over the course of my life, hitting bottom with a ch 7 4 years ago.  I find nothing shocking financially since I've been there and done that.  I'd go through the list but it would take too long. 

I admire and respect the people here who are FI or close to it, and hope to support those who are, like me, still figuring it out.  Over the past year, I've made many positive changes in the way I take care of my money-I actually started taking care of it!!  MMM has been a huge source of support for the lifestyle I've assumed so that I can achieve FI, though I'm not even close yet. 

socal0218

« Reply #2155 on: May 19, 2015, 01:25:02 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I'm seeking some advice for my particular situation.  If anyone could provide some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

I am 29, single living with a good family friend roommate in Southern California.  I have a relatively stable job making 90K.

I have about $50,000 in debt.  About half of that is a car loan debt. The rest is student loans and credit cards. In three months I will be moving within walking distance to work and selling the car and all the expenses that go along with it, about $966 a month for everything based on current usage trends.

That will cut me down to roughly $25,000 which I hope to aggressively pay off in a year.

I have gone to using cash to pay for things.  I had a couple recent big financial bills of $1000 vet bill and $3000 dental bill.  I have really bad teeth and there is always something that comes up with them.  The pet has been adopted by another family so that is another expense out of my monthly budget. It seems like there is always something that comes up that sets me from paying off the debt more rapidly.

My portion of the providing a roof over my head expenses is about $1,234.

I cook a lot more and bring my lunches to work often.  Though I like to shop at Trader Joe's and farmer's markets, which the food is of much higher quality, but pricier compared to the stuff you find in the big box grocery stores.  I guess I'd rather pay for food then related health concerns later. I spend about $350 a month on groceries and $250 eating out.

I don't like coffee. My Starbucks is a $1 soda from the gas station.

I have an iPhone 5 on a discounted no-contract cell phone service for $40 a month.

I have no desire to buy a house, especially in the real estate market where I am at.

How do people get ahead financially in high cost of living areas? Do I not make enough to live here? Should I make more money by getting a second job? I feel like I am challenging myself adequately in my current field, but there are other areas of life and work I would like to explore on a part time level. Does getting married help with personal finances much?

Seeking guidance and grateful…

Bambam100

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2156 on: May 19, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »

I have about $50,000 in debt.  About half of that is a car loan debt. The rest is student loans and credit cards. In three months I will be moving within walking distance to work and selling the car

That will cut me down to roughly $25,000 which I hope to aggressively pay off in a year.

Selling the car is a great first step, but losing the restaurant meals is even better.

This post feels like it belongs on a different thread...

mshea8105

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2157 on: May 19, 2015, 02:46:27 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I'm Mike, I'm 33 years old and live in Washington, DC.  I'm currently employed full-time.  I was a high spender who enjoyed the finer things in life but now I'm trying to focus on savingg so I can retire early and spend more time with my parents, brother and his family and travel the world.  I'm currently saving 70% of my income and have no debt.  I'm hoping to leave full-time employment by the time I'm 40 years old if not sooner.  I have a bf whom I live wight but he is on his own different financial journey so I'll be doing this alone.  I'm hoping to meet others in the DC area trying to live a frugal life and retire early. 

Vwjedi76

« Reply #2158 on: May 20, 2015, 01:41:57 PM »
Hi, I'm Mary.

I'm a noob.

socal0218

« Reply #2159 on: May 20, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »
Hey I'm a newbie to this site and philosophy and I am eager to learn so much. I'm also new to forums so I'm not quite up to speed on how they work and what all the functions are. So if you see my comment somewhere that doesn't make sense I apologize.  I would like to connect with others to learn their story and how I can succeed on my own financial journey and eventually freedom.  I hope :)

Skylark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2160 on: May 21, 2015, 02:56:25 AM »
Hello all,

I'm new here.

"Cometh the hour, cometh the man", or so it's said. So I'm very glad to have stumbled upon MMM, and this community. DH and I are recently FIRE but must work on our Badass-ity if we're to stay this way! It's early days yet so we are still stretching our wings in this new way of being. So far, so very, very good. We're learning that there's more freedom in not 'wanting' than there ever was in 'wanting and being able to afford'.

We're in the UK.

RocketSurgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2161 on: May 21, 2015, 06:55:03 AM »
Hello, my name's Bob.
I finally started saving and getting smart with money at 34, but better late than never I suppose!
Love the blog and the forum. It's been both helpful and inspirational. Thanks!

Urizen

« Reply #2162 on: May 21, 2015, 09:04:42 AM »
Hello. Glad to be here.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #2163 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17:26 AM »
Hi I'm Judy from VT, retired from the military in 2007, but due to poor choices/difficult situations still need to work! 
Over the past year (May 2014), I have done a lot of work to change.
It started with The Minimalist's 30 day challenge that went way, way, way beyond 30 days.
I got rid of approximately 75% of all of my stuff by either selling, paying forward, recycling or tossing.
Along with the stuff purge, I started journaling my spending & came clean on my finances via Julia Cameron's Prosperous Heart & Your Money or Your Life.
I ravenously search and read every possible blog I could landing here on MMM a few months ago.
Needless to say, thanks to Mr. & Mrs. MM & all of you, I am hooked!
Over the past year I have been able to pay off $29K of my $43k CC & car loan debt.
Since my money habits have changed dramatically, I am looking to downsize or work my current place into some investment opportunity.  I want to work to live, not the other way around.
Soon will post a case study so you all can give me some suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

SemiFruggal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2164 on: May 21, 2015, 11:29:52 AM »
Hi, I'm John from MA.  I'm a longtime lurker, sympathetic to this philosophy since before I even knew about MMM.  I'm a 50-year-old math teacher with a net worth probably sufficient for FIREing, hanging in three more years so that I can reach 20 years on the job.  At that point, I can collect a 26% pension immediately and my employer will pay 60% of my insurance.  That seems to me a nice bonus worth three more years at this gig.  My wife has been staying home with the kid for all of his six years.  He's in kindergarten now, so she's effectively a retiree.  She's not a spendthrift by any means, but she's (let's just say) less mustachian than I am.

Remben

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Inner Tiger
« Reply #2165 on: May 21, 2015, 12:34:45 PM »
Hi, Zibby from Czech Republic here...

Currently I'm employed as an application administrator (IT) in a big company. Nothing I'd be thrilled about - there's no fulfillment and I know I'm capable of bigger/better things than keeping alive someone else's application. The money don't reflect what I put in and therefore I'm on a way of becoming FI by leveraging the internet.

Looking forward to connect with you and contribute to the discussions.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:42:51 PM by Remben »

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #2166 on: May 21, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »
Hi,

I'm Victor.
I am married, have a 3 year old child.

I started thinking about early retirement 5 years ago while I was getting myself deeper into debt :).
Then I found this blog.

After some time I moved to USA - 3 months ago.

Right now I am climbing out of debt, will see how fast will I be able to retire after that :).
I am 37 right now, I hope I will be able to do it at 50.

Although I must say that I like my job and the company I am working for - I learned a lot during the last 10 years working with this company and I am still learning.
I am a tester (software tester).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:03:06 PM by Tester »

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2167 on: May 22, 2015, 11:56:46 AM »
Hi everyone, love the blog & the forum.  I had to start over about ten years ago because of a divorce and an involuntary career change.  We are on the right track now (I think).  I'm putting a son through college right now and hope to FIRE sometime after my daughter finishes college about a decade from now. 

Sukotto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2168 on: May 22, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
Hi guys!

Stumbled upon this website a couple months back and I can really see how it clicks with my life.

A little about me:
-24 year old 3D Artist living in Las Vegas, I know a Sin City resident on a site about frugality and leading a simple life?
-Currently in repayment of student loan debt, hoping to have it paid off in 2 years
-FIRE resonates with me because I feel like I don't have enough in the day to do and learn what I want to because of work.

Hope to see you guys around!

Moostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2169 on: May 22, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »
Hi everyone. I've been a site and forum lurker for a little over a year but I finally made myself register so I have the opportunity to interact with you.
Love the site and really enjoy all your posts.

hornbyisland

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2170 on: May 22, 2015, 05:04:43 PM »
Hello!

I'm 25 and living on the west coast of Canada. I've been a saver since I was born, but never much of an earner, so I'm doing my best to play to my strengths and make the most of those savings. Asked for advice in this thread - let me know if you have any! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/can-i-get-some-canadian-advice-about-my-confusing-investment-situation/

I'm in a stable (slightly boring) web development job, and a new but probably stable long term relationship with a guy I like quite a bit, a bike mechanic. He's a little older than I am, and has been better at earning money than saving it, but he's on board with the MMM philosophy and keen to retire with me in ten years or so, if we can reach our FI goals.

Hope to meet some cool people here. Cheers!

rightdecisions

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2171 on: May 23, 2015, 08:46:06 PM »
finally made it in...took me over an hour trying to figure out what city mmm lives in. 

found this site via bogleheads.

Hoping to continue to make the "right-decisions".

androo63

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2172 on: May 23, 2015, 10:51:01 PM »
Hi, I'm Andrew. I'm a New Zealand-based blogger and contract writer. However, I used to be a high school teacher of Accounting and Business. I spent years teaching kids personal finance, and how to get ahead in life ... and then I mucked it all up myself. I lost my job in 2012 and ended up with $100,000 debt and no income. I have only just managed to work again (initially for myself), but I now have a major US-based company who employs me as their in-house journalist. So now I start again, although still with $100,000 debt sitting in the background. It is definitely time to practice what I taught the kids for all those years.

alurblaze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2173 on: May 24, 2015, 02:45:47 PM »
Hi! I'm an international student from Russia in an Ivy League school. I randomly discovered MMM website and devoured all of it in two-three days. I've been brought up with the idea that you should invest and eventually reach FI, but never really got to mechanisms how to achieve it (apart from MLM that contributed greatly to my personal finance education). Thanks to this forum, I've been able to become more frugal (and I do find wastefulness I've witnessed in the U.S. ridiculous as is). How graduation is approaching soon, and I do want to start saving.

Current situation: full financial aid from university with room and board, no loans, no permit to work outside campus on F1 visa, and only those summer opportunities that cover living expenses. Hope there is someone in similar situation, not really present in both countries of residence, to share experience!

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #2174 on: May 24, 2015, 04:01:06 PM »
Hi! I'm Kero. I've been reading MMM and lurking here for a while and finally got myself joined up here.

I've been freelancing and working part-time most of my life and a few months ago started my first full-time job. I was excited by it, and the salary is good, but it turns out I hate it. Working in an open office layout, dealing with bureaucracy, the same type of work I like to do but with much more boring content... and the commute! Ugh! I'd love to go back to freelancing, but it isn't financially feasible right now (and I'd feel pretty stupid if I quit before a year, when my company's 401(k) match vests). I'm also recently married and we have some debt; we also want to have kids in a few years, at which point we'd love to have one or both of us staying home. So in order to pay off the debts as quickly as possible and build up a nice 'stache, we're trying to be frugal and I'm still freelancing on the side. Nice to meet all of you!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:36:43 PM by Kerowyn »

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #2175 on: May 24, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
Howdy, fishnfool here!

Saltwater kayak fisherman to be exact.....aka reformed boat owner...lol   I have always been a frugal sort of chap, homeowner with a investment property and love to stretch a buck so to speak. I have lurked around this forum the past year and have enjoyed reading a lot of the posts and have gained some great knowledge from some of the MMM ideas. 

Aloha

Warbler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2176 on: May 25, 2015, 06:29:22 PM »
I'm 5-10 years away from retiring with a pension, but need a 'stache for long term security and so my wife can retire. The FIRE principles will be just as helpful as if I were 25.

mwarren86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2177 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:20 AM »
Howdy, I'm Michael and I'm so glad I found this site!

I have been in the workforce for 5 years now, and since joining the "Real World" I've had this suspicion that something wasn't right with the system. I read some Dave Ramsey books and other financial blogs advocating non-traditional methods, but none of them gave me enough traction to make a difference.

I found MMM a few months ago and I feel like finally it's clicking. I've made modest efficiency improvements in my life and am starting to focus on paying down debt (all my wife and I have is student loans, so my hair is only a small blaze; luckily no bonfires).

I am excited to be in this adventure and join you guys in changing the world!

FrugalBugle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2178 on: May 27, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
Hi, my girlfriend recently discovered this site and it was our light bulb moment I think.
I am 38 and she is 36, been together over 8 years. We live in London, UK.
We have partied hard and had some expensive habits but over the last year or two we've started saving but with no goal in mind, till now that is!

Happy to be on the moustachian journey.

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
  • Follow me on my journey to Financial Freedom!
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #2179 on: May 27, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I recently discovered MMM a few weeks ago and it has inspired me to document my journey to financial freedom.  I love MMM and want to incorporate many of badassity to my own life!

Making Cents

• Stubble
« Reply #2180 on: May 28, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »
Hi All,

I found MMM a few months ago and all of your posts in addition to MMM's blog have helped me to cut our spending by over a third so far (aiming for half!) and increase our savings/investing from 15% to just over 25% (aiming for 35%) of our income. Thank you all for that.

I have always been reasonably frugal (except for foodie tendencies that are our biggest downfall). My DH is a spendthrift who is easily intimidated by numbers connected to money and frankly not all that excited about my penchant for budgeting! He's making great progress considering that though. We are in our early 40s and not in any particular hurry to retire as we both enjoy our jobs immensely (I would do mine for free, though with much shorter hours), but we do want to be less wasteful and to gain total financial security and self-sufficiency, freedom from worry, and the ability to weather any future challenges that may come our way. I'd like to have the option to retire between 55-60, though I will not necessarily take it.

More immediate goals include learning more about how to manage our investments to best advantage and developing a nice stream of passive income. I'd like us to have a rental house eventually, for instance.

I have been using Mint to track our accounts since a New Year's resolution in January and also racking up frequent flyer miles and bonuses that will allow us our family visits at holidays for free as well as a very low cost vacation to France (we hope) this December. We joined Costco and now shop in bulk (list only!) and switched to Cricket Wireless from a contract with Verizon.

I am also an avid veggie gardener, but since a move and summer commitments for a new job will not be able start our new "farm" (with chickens?) until next summer.

I look forward to picking all your brains some more on this board. :)

student mustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2181 on: May 28, 2015, 12:33:58 PM »
Hi!
I am a student In Biotechnology who is interested in becoming a researcher. Now, research is my dream, so I don't really plan on RE, but I would like to have enough FU money to live comfortably without a job, because I'm afraid government funding is not going to be enough to fund research, and I don't want to work for a private company (this reason is important enough to me to sacrifice quite a lot of money for that)

SunnyArizona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2182 on: May 28, 2015, 06:02:30 PM »
As an introduction, I'm a family guy who works in the real estate industry. I survived the Great Recession / real estate appocalypse in Arizona without losing everything.  The experience left me with a deep seeded hatred for debt.  I want to pay off my home mortgage as quickly as possible and find a way to reach financial independence after that's done. Looking forward to learning from everybody and sharing ideas about how to save money.

viking_mustasche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2183 on: May 31, 2015, 11:52:08 AM »
Hi,

Growing my mustasche in Sweden. Just like MMM used to back in the days Im currently grinding in a software engineering company. I hope to within a few years built up a large enough stash to reach financial freedom.
Have read most of MMM posts and thanks to him I changed my life plan.
I always been frugal, but MMM made me realise I had many clownlike habits and also made me realise I actually do not need to work to 65 to get a pension :). 

Happy to be onboard :)

codyandrew77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2184 on: May 31, 2015, 02:38:11 PM »
Hi I'm Cody.
I am new here.
I like freedom.
I hate consumerism.
I like mountains and calm bodies of water.
I like TFSA's.
I like curry.
I hate debt.
That is all.

LWHEAT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself- RENEE
« Reply #2185 on: May 31, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
MY NAME IS RENEE

My husband and I are in our early thirties with two great kids. We recently paid off all of our revolving debt and our cars. What we have left are out student loans and our house. We wanted to know what to do now. I would like to pay off my student loans, then invest for a few years hard core before paying off the house. I am open to any STRATEGIES. others are pursuing. Would love to meet people and hear about your particular journeys becoming debt free and retiring early which is ultimately our goal. Finally while in this journey we would like to hear about the practical steps you all took to live off one income and invest the other entirely. That is my our goal after we pay off the student loans.

Twoquestions

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2186 on: June 01, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
My name is Justin, I make software.

I'm interested in FIRE because there's so much stuff to learn and do, and nights/weekends aren't enough time to learn to do everything I'd like.

FP1987

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2187 on: June 01, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »
Hey everyone!

I'm Walt, I'm in my late 20's and I want to retire someday. I stumbled upon this blog/forum about 2 years ago and am finally joining the community!

Thanks!

techpfblog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • TechPF Blog
« Reply #2188 on: June 01, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »
Hi Everybody! I'm Lia and I've been reading this blog for a year or two now. I'm a 23-year-old tech worker from Texas. Nice to meet you!

activex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2189 on: June 01, 2015, 08:35:14 PM »
Hi all,

found the blog about 2 months ago and just made it the the latest article, plus managed to complete the verification questions for the forum :D

I'm in my late 20's, from Germany, moved to Australia 5 years ago and now living in the Sunshine State (QLD).

Nice to meet you all.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2190 on: June 01, 2015, 11:28:09 PM »
Hi,

Happy to be here.  I'm from bay area, CA.

crujonez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2191 on: June 02, 2015, 09:02:43 AM »
Hi,

I made a couple posts on here but am new. I found MMM linked from another message board and have been hooked for over a week now.

From PA for now.

investbee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2192 on: June 02, 2015, 11:21:14 AM »
Hi,

I am Zad and I am 32 Years old and married. I am a software Architect. I am really happy to be here.  I'm from chicago, IL.

I found MMM when I was researching about keeping or cash out the whole life insurance policy for my wife and I from northwestern.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Zad

piccione88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2193 on: June 02, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »
Hello, I am Brandon from Milwaukee. Three months ago I stumbled across this site, and a couple similarly themed podcasts.
 This has changed my life. I am 27 years old, and am up to my eyes in debt, and was living check to check, and barley paying anything off.
 My mindset changed in big parts thanks to you guys. I quit my local trucking job, get rid of my pricey apartment, car, and all other bills I could. Then I got a job over the road.
 I live in my truck, so I have next to no bills, and make more now than ever before. In these three months, I have saved up a 2000 dollar "emergency fund" and paid off 4k in debt.

Old Man Mase

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Old Man Mase
« Reply #2194 on: June 03, 2015, 05:30:25 AM »
Hi everyone!  I've been reading MMM and this forum for awhile now, but just now took the time to create a profile and say hello :)

I'm a 24 year old living in Missouri.  My wife and I are aggressively paying off debt (almost there) and looking to add substantially to our investments over the next few years. 

This forum is so inspiring and informative; I'm very happy to be a part of the community here.

SawPalmettoFL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2195 on: June 03, 2015, 08:22:30 AM »
Hi, I'm Saw. 

I live near the beach.

I like trees.

Saw 

rockm87

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2196 on: June 04, 2015, 06:17:34 AM »
Hi from the UK!

Just wanted to pop in and say hey :-)

Have been reading and spreading the word for over a year now..

Currently paying off my debt (from £6k will be paid off by December).

choppa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
call me "Choppa"
« Reply #2197 on: June 04, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »
Hi all.. Choppa here.

JUST registered and JUST placed my first post too :)

My name is choppa (not my real name of course)

I am 52.. Live in Dallas, TX area.
Divorced. No kids.. No mortgage. No dept except for my daily driver, a 2013 pickup (required youll see as you read)

My proffession is that of telecom engineer.

I have been saving the MAX in my workplace 401K plan, with a 6% company match. As I am over 50, I also contribute the additional 5K allowed by the IRS.

In addition, I save roughly another 15K per year to personal savings accounts and mutual funds

I live a very frugal lifestyle. I estimate about 20K per year is all I need to live on.

I currently have over 110K in mutual funds, 30K in personal savings and another 450k in 401K.
I own my own home, 100% mortgage free (dont live in it yet, but will upon retiring)

When I finally pull the plug on this workplace stuff, ill be retiring to my 100% paid for home in a small town in SE OK, where the taxes amount to less that a monthly car payment (430 per year)

so, living will be cheap..
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:22:04 AM by choppa »

Great White Silence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2198 on: June 05, 2015, 04:21:30 AM »
Hi, I'm Great White Silence, but people usually call me GWS.

I'm 35, Dutch, married, I have two homeschooled kids (3 and 6 years old), and MMM inspires me very much. Not sure if we can retire in 10 years, but 15 years is fine too. We just keep on going, doing the best we can!

BlastinNRelaxin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2199 on: June 05, 2015, 02:15:39 PM »
Hi and Good Afternoon from, now, Sunny California. I am a little late on this, but love the idea of this forum and want to contribute what I can.

My name is Dale and I live in the East Bay of California. My stats are as follows:

Glad to be on the forum and just this year started dwindling to a less expensive and more sustainable living; Especially the eating out and bar tabs.