Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317835 times)

givemesunshine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1600 on: September 03, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a 37 year old from Brisbane, Australia. Single, no kids , finally earning decent money after a few years of student induced thriftiness and a few years of being underpaid!

I am currently debt free (student loans paid off in April 2014) and saving hard for a house deposit. I am saving 32.8% of my wage at the moment and will be looking to increase my income and percentage saved over the coming months. I pay extra into my Superannuation Fund (pension) and have in the last month hit the $100K net worth barrier (up 43K in the last 12 months).

I feel like I'm a late starter after a long time studying and paying down student loans/car loan but am motivated to be FI well before retirement age. Buying a house is my next hurdle and I hope to save a good size deposit over the next 2-3 years to reduce the required mortgage payments and loan term.

Great to be a part of a forum with so many people doing inspiring things.

popsy13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1601 on: September 04, 2014, 04:29:21 AM »
Hii Every one.. I am new to this and looking for some good fun and adventure..
Cheers !!!!!!!!!

falcondisruptor

• Stubble
    • Simple Cheap Mom
« Reply #1602 on: September 04, 2014, 11:34:22 AM »
Hi, I've been reading this blog for a while but just joined today.  We're a family of three trying to pay off our only debt (our mortgage).

Draggon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1603 on: September 04, 2014, 03:54:53 PM »
Greetings, MMM'ers.  I've hit this site in a touch-n-go fashion for the last few years, usually through a link to a blog post from another site I was reading, but it's never "stuck".  After poking around semi-randomly for the last few days, I think I'll change that.

I'm a very recent (last month) 49 yo (next month) empty nester.  My wife and I have been driving toward FIRE for many years, but not to the degree that our hero, MMM has (obviously).  But, it wasn't so fashionable "back in the day", so there wasn't a lot of useful knowledge like there is today...  :)

Anyway, I'm chomping at the bit to cut loose the reins, but (there's always a but) I just don't have the cahones to do so yet.  Hopefully hanging around here some more will help with that.

Boshtet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1604 on: September 04, 2014, 05:45:26 PM »
Hey all. I'm not usually the type to register for a forum (chronic forum lurker), but the community here seems very welcoming and knowledgeable, and I think registering will keep me focused. I'm Curt, 26 from the Midwest USA. Single, with student loan debt quickly on the way out the window, thanks to the wakeup I had after reading through the MMM blog. I always kind of wondered where all the money went, after each paycheck my bank account seemed to dwindle. A $300 grocery bill for one person, some shopping at Target here or there, expensive hobbies, and more all led to me not really having control over my finances. I'm happy to report that I've reigned in the spending drastically over the last 2 months. Here are some of the changes I've made:

• Switched from Verizon Wireless unlimited data plan to Republic Wireless - Savings of $60 per month, plus I was able to sell the Verizon account for more than the purchase price of the Republic Wireless Moto X, so big win there!
  • Brought the monthly grocery bill down from $300 to $150, and the restaurant/fast food bill from $100 to $0
  • Just bought a kit to convert my old Peugeot frame to a singlespeed. I plan on commuting with it.
  • Cancelled Cable with roommates, a savings of $30 a month for something that was very rarely used
  • Sold my expensive gaming PC which was also very rarely used, and bought a refurbished Acer Chromebook. I actually love this Chromebook so much more. I use it to read books in one window and take notes in the other, and take it with me nearly everywhere I go. But I digress.
  • Refocused my Mint budgeting, and actually stuck to it.
  • Read the Bread Machine blog post, and quickly became a bread machine advocate to anyone that would listen. ($7 on craigslist!)

I feel very fortunate to have my monthly expenses be so low, and if all goes according to plan, I will have my $12,000 student loan total gone in a little over a year. Then the real saving and investing can begin. My biggest problem at the moment is my commute. At 15 miles each way to school, and 14 miles each way to work (each in opposite directions), it's definitely a source of frustration. But these are things I am working to change!

Glad to be here!

MA_Mom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1605 on: September 05, 2014, 04:35:57 PM »
Hi all-

I'm a single 42 year-old mom of a 1st grader, living in a Boston suburb. I've always worked in non-profits, so my theory has been that I need to be smarter with the money I have than my friends with larger incomes. Actually, I'm fortunate that I now make a decent income, but it's helpful to have a 403(b) with $300k already growing. No debt, other than a $280k mortgage on a $420k house. As a solo parent, I won't be able to move as quickly as some folks toward FIRE, but like my earlier theory, that just means I need to be more deliberate about the financial choices I make. Happy to be learning from this community!

Best!

Lindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Turtle
« Reply #1606 on: September 06, 2014, 01:57:02 AM »
Hello!
I've been a reader of the blog from almost the beginning, although a more recent reader of the forums and have just decided to make the plunge and introduce myself.

Age-34
Location-MN
Occupation-QC Lab Tech
I'm single, but cohabitate with my naturally frugal boyfriend and furry feline.
I recently paid off my debts and have been 'staching as much as possible for the future.
My retirement date is 10+ years away and I can't wait for that day!

I look forward to future conversations with y'all!

Napalok1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1607 on: September 06, 2014, 07:23:42 AM »
Hi I'm Kevin in New Jersey.
    Recently started reading MMM and Early Retirement extreme.  Came out of the cave late in life.  I have a defined benefit pension as a state employee.  I have an annuity,  Roth IRA  I max out, and a brokerage account and savings account.
    I moved into a boarding house two blocks from my job, sold my car and I now save close to 60 percent of my pay.  I earn in the low to mid 60,000 dollars depending on overtime.  Debt free now since I sold the car yesterday thanks Jacob and MMM.
    I plan on keeping this up for 12 years which will give me full pension and medical and also be eligible for early ss if I choose it.

Dondarrion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1608 on: September 06, 2014, 08:40:55 PM »
Hey!

Long time reader of the blog but just now signing up on the forum. Life is about to take a major change and I figured I could post here for support!

My wife and I are 26, no kids. I am an officer in the USMC and my wife is a school tutor/substitute (full time gig until Christmas!). I am currently deployed and after this deployment, I am getting out of the Corps.

Our financial stats: (ynab junkies 2 years running)

Income: ~5k per month
Roth IRA: 10k
Cash: 8k

Honda Civic Auto Loan: 12k
Federal Student Loan: 30k

We have credit cards but 0 cc debt and we use our rewards to pay for flights and hotel rooms! YNAB has allowed us to keep all of our spending under control and we have flown free for 2 years straight at no cost whatsoever.

Unfortunately, our debt payoff plan is at a standstill. Since I am deployed, we have a bunch of other expenses and I am not able to make the major payments on our debt that I want to. I am also hording cash so that when I get out of the Corps, we have money for a few months if my job offer falls through.

I really want to get rid of the student loan and once I return from deployment, I have a plan to knock it out in 2-3 years. The Honda civic loan is at 2% and I am going to pay it off next but for the time being, the student loan is my main obstacle.

missksaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Saving for FU $, then FIRE
« Reply #1609 on: September 06, 2014, 10:00:34 PM »
Hi

I am in NY with a husband that knows I read MMM but isn't buying into the idea of FIRE. I have humongous student loan debt that I am working on paying down now. I also have a goal of becoming a home owner and would also like to be FIRE. I have 1 child, my DH and I would like another when we are more financially stable.

I have been lurking for a while before I finally posted.

FrugalFreddyFingers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1610 on: September 07, 2014, 03:45:15 AM »
Hello,
New reader but I have been on the path to independence since I joined the Navy after reading The "Total Money Makeover."  I turn 30 this year, married with 2 little girls, have a job I love, and can easily be FIRE in the next 10 years. We have came a long way financially in the last four years; had 50k in student loans/car debt, to now having a 6-figure NW. There is still so much to learn.   Excellent articles and forum posts, look forward to learning and sharing my own experiences.

Frugal_Red

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1611 on: September 07, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »
Hello everyone! My nickname is Red.

I've been perusing this site for a couple of years after finding a link for it on ERE. I enjoy reading all the comments and tips about improving one's life and financial situation, some of which I've added to my repertoire.  I've been a pretty frugal fellow starting in my college years when I was first out on my own.  I've been a proponent of financial independence through 'artificial scarcity.' Basically if you don't need it, don't buy it.  If you can't make it or get it for free, then buy the cheapest (well made) one you can!

I currently live in NYC which can be a frustrating place to be frugal, especially with rent being what it is.  Luckily NYC also pays better than anywhere else I've lived so I have actually managed to increase my saving rate. Yay! I am lucky to have a wonderful guy in my life, the reason I move to NYC in the first place.  I have slowly managed to persuade him into a more frugal lifestyle and he is starting to enjoy reaping the rewards!

My favorite motivational book is 'The Millionaire Next Door' which I have as an audio tape and listen to periodically. I finally decided to make a profile and join this web forum because there is just so much wonderful information and motivational stories from people on here!  I love the easy going attitude of the community. I hope to be able to contribute!

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1612 on: September 08, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been a long time lurker and finally decided to take the plunge and sign up! I have always felt like I was pretty frugal until I started reading this site. Currently my goal for FI is not to RE but to be able to take a job where I do not have to worry about how much I am making. I enjoy reading about investing and money management as well as learning how to diy.

Looking forward to continuing to learn from everyone and hopefully contribute to the discussions!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1613 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:21 PM »
Just wanted to say a big welcome to all the new folks.  It will be great to have some new perspectives.  I'm sure you all have some great stuff to share!

KBlynx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1614 on: September 08, 2014, 12:40:08 PM »
Hi!

I've been ready MMM articles for a few weeks now and I'm ready to hop on board! I feel like I'm sitting on the curb compared to some of you fine folks though. I feel poor, not just frugal- poor in a bad way :/

I'm a 32 YO single mom, sharing an apartment with my SO. We both make around 40-45k a year and live in Renton, WA. Rents have been eating any and more of the wage increases we've received so every year we've seemed to fall further behind. Rent on a very modest (read: tiny) apartment takes the majority of our incomes each month. We are ending that this month!!!! I bought a very modest house that will be about the same monthly as rent has been.

I have very little in my 401k (I took 6k out to fund the house, as I had no savings) I am very good in some ways and have been bad in others, that is changing now!

Good things I have been doing:
No Cable
No daily coffee/cig/ habbits
Paid off cheap small car w/good gas mileage
I'm very frugal with grooming costs, I get my haircut every 6 months at hair masters and don't get any other spa/grooming things done
Paid off all student debts, and have no to very low monthly debt
Just bought a house in a growing community!!

The Bad:
Live way too far from work (rents /house prices are literally double if not more where I work so it isn't an option on our incomes).
I splurge on cheap clothes I don't need that last 1 or 2 wears then look like crud. Granted they are cheap, but I don't need them!
Buy stuff online I don't NEED because it's a good deal
My SO owes lots of child support and has debt (so much so that I've had to fund the house alone)
Get down on myself because I'm the "poor" person at work. I can't afford vacations or nice handbags or fill-in-the-blank and the ladies just leave me out of the conversation because they know this. So I get left out socially because I just can't relate to that lifestyle.

I need to take my finances by the neck and OWN my life rather than feel bad about not being able to afford X that everyone else can.

I am here to learn :)

crapula

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1615 on: September 08, 2014, 06:55:27 PM »
Hi facial hair folks!

You know the story: long time lurker, first time poster.  I'm still working my first year of "real" work and am at the start of my journey to financial independence, but I think I'm headed in the right direction.  That is, of course, thanks to a healthy dose of inspiration from the people in this forum.

peabody58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE 04/2015 @ 57
« Reply #1616 on: September 09, 2014, 09:15:37 AM »
Hello all!  MMM is now included in our retirement tool bag!!

Planning on retiring in at age 57 in 13 months to a 55+ community south of Atlanta.  We just purchased our retirement home and are renting it out for a year.  Financially we could retire now, but padding the fund just makes such a big difference in the long term.

We'll be firing our FA by the end of the year.  Can't stomach paying someone 1 - 1.5% of my accounts for the rest of my life.  Plus I'm out performing his performance 3 to 1.  Vanguard has been very good for us.

Currently downsizing like crazy and padding our accounts as much as possible.

Looking forward to receiving and contributing to this great site.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #1617 on: September 09, 2014, 11:00:26 AM »
Hello all! I'm a 42 year old single mom to a 9yo boy.  Just discovered MMM.  I am excited to have a community to support my FIRE plan since no one else I know (other than parents) are anything other than consumer-driven and paycheck to paycheck.  Hope to start a Journal and use it to get serious about my plan.  Think with some attention I could reach FIRE by 48 or 50. 

Travisthetruth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1618 on: September 09, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »
Hi, i'm Travis and i like $$$$

HopefulMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1619 on: September 09, 2014, 01:55:03 PM »
Hello mustachians! Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. As my handle suggests, I'm hoping to engage with some of the principles on this site and achieve financial independence sooner than I would have with my current haphazard, if frugal, financial planning. I will admit I am by turns both inspired and intimidated by this blog, but it's more often the former. Looking forward to taking it all in.

Kapitalust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Kapitalust
« Reply #1620 on: September 09, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »
Howdy, I'm Steve and I geek out on everything investing.

Pat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1621 on: September 09, 2014, 07:42:23 PM »
Hey there, Pat here. I'm no 'Consumer Sucka,' but am interested in improving my Mustachian ways and have found MMM's blogs and readers' comments very useful. I look forward to sharing ideas and learning more here.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1622 on: September 10, 2014, 08:16:50 AM »
Hello all, I'm Julie. I've been lurking for months and am just now jumping in. I've always been pretty frugal (realtive to the "norm"), but am now looking to up my game. Luckily, my husband is very much the same, although he has not yet ventured onto this site. We have two young children and are trying to instill some financial common sense in them as we go.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #1623 on: September 10, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »
Hi!  I'm Maria, I've been reading from the beginning for a few weeks, and I'm currently on posts from October 2013.

My family consists of myself and my partner Daniel.  Currently we're living on just my salary (net 1430/month) but in a few short months when Daniel graduates from his welding program we stand to jump into a much higher bracket.  I've already paid off my 2,000 ish credit card (woohoo!) and I've just checked out 2 recommended books:  Naked Economics, Your Money or Your life, and The Intelligent Asset Allocator.  I am very excited to take our life forward with Mustachian Principles!

Thanks to Mr MM, Mrs MM (and junior Stash) as well as all the commentors, I've already learned so much!

swallowtail

« Reply #1624 on: September 10, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
Greetings Mustachioed Masses,

I started reading the MMM blog a few months ago and devoured the whole thing.  Since reading it I have begun biking to work and bringing my own lunch, switched my housing situation to reduce costs (moved in with my partner of 3 years - we basically lived together anyway), cut down on restaurant spending, and invested some money that was just sitting in a bank account.  I am 32 now, but hellbent on retiring as soon as possible!  I would also like to start my own craft-business in the next year.  Once I get a little more organized I will post a journal. 

I am excited to join this community!

ST

want2flyy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1625 on: September 11, 2014, 03:54:37 AM »
Hello everyone.
I am in Northern Virginia. I retired back in January.  Anyone else in NoVa?
Good luck to all!

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1626 on: September 12, 2014, 07:43:21 AM »
Hi.  I'm Ken.  45, married with 12-year old and a 10 year old.  Quit my corp job in June and am considering my options.  Good deal of savings and retirement.  Trying to figure out how to "bridge the gap" b/n now and 59.5.

zapatista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1627 on: September 13, 2014, 11:12:42 AM »
Hey my name is Mike from Denver, CO.

I had the opportunity to go to the CO get together last Saturday and had a great time meeting Mr. & Mrs. Money Mustache. Thanks again for hosting the event! I started reading the site about 2-3 months ago and have genuinely been inspired by the use less/spend less philosophy related on the blog!

My situation:
I'm 44 and employed in a pretty well paying but rather boring job and I live 4 miles from my wonderful cubicle in Downtown Denver (where 80%+ of my current work activity takes place). I usually drive 2 miles, park and then walk the rest of the way (another 2 miles). Yes, I've re-discovered biking...making my 1st round trip biking yesterday to the cubicle and 1st time in roughly 15 years!!

I'm recently married to a wonderful woman from Colombia who brought along her (now our!) 15 year old son in November 2013. Lots of life changes recently-with definite impact to our finances

My financial situation:

Assets:
- 865 sq. ft 2bd. 1ba. house in NE Park Hill, Denver, CO valued at a little more than $200k based on recent comps.
-$150k in retirement accounts
-$4-5k in cash

Liabilities:
-$84k in mortgage debt
-$75k in student loans
-$16k in car loan
-$16k in 401k/403b type loan-financed a 24'x24' detached garage in the backyard of the house.

Income:
-Roughly $110k per year salary and side job

Tackling the Debt 1st:
This is as close as I get to doing a budget--even though I'm an accountant by profession. Since starting reading MMM, I've sold a 2013 Ford Focus and bought a 1995 Mazda Miata for cash The remaining car loan is for a 2013 Kia Soul which we are going to keep. We make pretty decent money for our debt overhead and my emphasis is to attack the outstanding debt by paying off the 401k type loan first and then the car loan. I'm currently paying $2k a month on the 401k loan as well as maintaining the $360 a month car payment (3% note) and $669 a month mortgage (3.125% note with 13.5 years to go). After the car loan is paid off in roughly 1.5 years, I'll move on to accelerating payment on the mortgage.

Student loan and pay as you earn for older student loans:

The student loan is currently in deferred status (no payment required/bears interest at 5.325%) until November of 2015 due to being furloughed last October (I'm a federal govt' employee) and I've decided to wait until then to enter repayment. In December of 2015, my student loans will be eligible for a Pay as You Earn payment plan and I'll have about 7 years left to pay on them until the public service loan forgiveness (tax-free) kicks in. The payment will be based on the difference between the federal poverty level for 3 people and Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and figured at 10% of that level to get to an annual payment. My payment will likely be between $550-$600 a month. The remaining prinicipal balance in 2022 or thereabouts will be somewhere between $40k-$50k.

I'm very open to feedback/criticism on my base thoughts for knocking out the debt.

Investments:
On the investing side, I put away about $30k a year right now into retirement type assets- 401k type plan with passive stock investments and Roth IRA lending club account. I do not plan on doing accelerating the investment savings until the 401k loan and car are paid off.

Thanks very much for reading and I look forward to contributing.

As an opening, I though some of the folks here might get a kick out of this web link on commuting:
https://screen.yahoo.com/videos-for-you/virginia-man-commutes-220-miles-035058533.html?vp=1

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #1628 on: September 14, 2014, 07:16:23 AM »
Hi Mustachian Family! 

Been reading MMM since April and preaching its praises to anyone who will listen.  Love the simplicity of the posts and the ability to pick and choose initial topics to read - gets people on board much faster.  Read enough posts to feel comfortable posting information that will (hopefully) be helpful. 

Background:  Married SAHM with two crazy/hyper boys, husband is an engineer, I am a former engineer who now serves sloppy joes in the elementary cafeteria - and I wouldn't have it any other way.  As others have stated, we have been a fairly frugal family but kicked it up some notches since reading MMM. 

Most surprising activity started since reading MMM?  I know the location of, and how to read, our electric/natural gas/water meters.  These bill levels are monitored and controlled vs. being a uncontrolled, surprise amount each month.   

demuth.20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1629 on: September 14, 2014, 08:00:16 AM »
Hi I'm Eric and live in Ohio.  I'm under 30 and am trying to set myself up for a life of Financial Independence.  Looking for some interesting topics, advice, people, ect...

Kosmic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • RideDualSport
« Reply #1630 on: September 14, 2014, 10:18:18 AM »
Howdy everyone!
I am 52 and live in Texas. Google brought me to MMM, when I searched for "how to retire early".
My goal is to integrate the Mustachian philosophy into my life by starting small and integrating Mustache behavior into my core belief system.
I have debt, in the form of a motorcycle payment, which is being paid in much larger payments than the minimum required.
My wife does not know it, but she is a closet Mustachian and I look up to her! Now its time for me to step up to the Mustache.

We built modest shop/art studio in a small rural town where property taxes are $600/yr compared to $8,000/yr for our home in Austin.
We are contemplating selling our home and purchasing five years of service in order to retire in two years, which is the soonest I am eligible for.
My motorcycling habit is in its 35th year - which includes restoring antique motorcycles, and I am struggling with justifying my expensive hobby.

Thank you for listening!
Cheers, Kosmic.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:30:29 AM by Kosmic »

mstar2007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1631 on: September 14, 2014, 03:40:13 PM »
Hi!

I'm so happy to have found a community like this! I am 29 years young and my goal is to retire early (would like to work part-time hours later on in life but I do not want to depend on corporate America anymore for my entire living)

I live in Atlanta and work for a big tech corporation right now in Sales. I'm studying to be a computer programmer so I can be able to work freelance, work from home, and be able to live anywhere I want. I also am aiming to start my own blog one day to also generate income.

I've been a "mustachian" for 5 years now but didn't even realize it! People just called me frugal. I come from a poor background and I fell pray to trying to keeping up with other people's rich lifestyles after I graduated college. Needless to say I fell in debt, my credit was wrecked and I was unemployed during the recession. I'm back on my feet and can proudly say I'm debt free, my credit is beautiful, and I built up an emergency's savings account and started retirement funds 2 years ago

I want to learn as much as possible and connect with other mustachians. Living in Atlanta has been great in terms of cost of living but not so great for my esteem. I am constantly disrespected at my job for taking public transportation and this is a BIG car city. I'm tired of the jokes and disrespect. I'm tired of people thinking I don't drive because I'm broke or something is wrong with me. My manager made a joke about me not having a car in front of a new, younger employee and it made me livid. I also get jokes because I prefer to cook my own lunch/dinner instead of eating out. I'll eat out when it's important but I don't like doing it every day like my coworkers......I'm so happy to be around people who share my goals and hopefully I won't feel so alone any more.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #1632 on: September 14, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »
Hi!

I'm so happy to have found a community like this! I am 29 years young and my goal is to retire early (would like to work part-time hours later on in life but I do not want to depend on corporate America anymore for my entire living)

I live in Atlanta and work for a big tech corporation right now in Sales. I'm studying to be a computer programmer so I can be able to work freelance, work from home, and be able to live anywhere I want. I also am aiming to start my own blog one day to also generate income.

I've been a "mustachian" for 5 years now but didn't even realize it! People just called me frugal. I come from a poor background and I fell pray to trying to keeping up with other people's rich lifestyles after I graduated college. Needless to say I fell in debt, my credit was wrecked and I was unemployed during the recession. I'm back on my feet and can proudly say I'm debt free, my credit is beautiful, and I built up an emergency's savings account and started retirement funds 2 years ago

I want to learn as much as possible and connect with other mustachians. Living in Atlanta has been great in terms of cost of living but not so great for my esteem. I am constantly disrespected at my job for taking public transportation and this is a BIG car city. I'm tired of the jokes and disrespect. I'm tired of people thinking I don't drive because I'm broke or something is wrong with me. My manager made a joke about me not having a car in front of a new, younger employee and it made me livid. I also get jokes because I prefer to cook my own lunch/dinner instead of eating out. I'll eat out when it's important but I don't like doing it every day like my coworkers......I'm so happy to be around people who share my goals and hopefully I won't feel so alone any more.

Awesome turnaround in your life!  Andy don't worry, you are still young.  You will continue to get laughed at until around the age of 35-40.  That's when real life facepunches the general population (mortgage, kids, overspending).  Hopefully a few coworkers watch and learn from your actions. 

$$$Manager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1633 on: September 14, 2014, 11:01:46 PM »
Hi All!  I've been interested in saving money for a very long time, but found this site quite by accident.  Had no idea MMM existed.  Wow, I love this site!  This evening I read with great interest the blog about making and changing habits.  I'm the person who goes to Walmart all the time as shown in the "Drive Somewhere, Buy Something Habit Loop."  I earn 37K and -as a result of this website - am dedicating a total of 54% of my take-home pay to savings and debt elimination:  25% to paying off the credit card, 18% to savings for ongoing medical expenses (I have two chronic illnesses), and 11% to my 401K.  Due to the amount of money I need for medical expenses I have felt hopeless about my finances for a very long time.  I started using my credit card to pay those expenses so I could continue to spend my income on dumb stuff.  Now, I feel like I might have a chance.

damize

• Stubble
« Reply #1634 on: September 15, 2014, 04:41:24 PM »
Hi, I'm Dave. I'm a DoD Civilian and Air Force retiree. Recently divorced and moved back to the USA after living overseas for nearly 20 years.  I've adopted the simple life and am working my way out of a mountain of debt.  I found MMM via GRS and I love the idea and practice of the Mustachian life.  While I'm in my debt emergency, I'm living on about 25% of my total income, which means really good things once I get to positive net worth.  Since I've finished the blog archives, I'm eager to join the forum and the community.

Jeepo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Fear is not to be feared.....
« Reply #1635 on: September 16, 2014, 02:54:13 AM »
Hi Folks,

I am new here though have used the website to help with my debt for a few months now! Moving it to the next level soon!

UK based, Northern Ireland to be exact! Male, unmarried, 28! Just popping in to say hello, and thanks for all the help you have given me so far without even realising it!

charms

« Reply #1636 on: September 16, 2014, 04:09:01 AM »
Hey fellow mustachians! Thanks for the introductions, it's lovely to 'meet' some like-minded folks :)

I'm single, female, live in Australia, aged 36. I have no debt but don't own anything either. I have an emergency fund saved and another small 'stache ready to begin plugging in to some investment funds. I am almost mentally ready for it but have a bit more learning to do first. I am coming at this with limited knowledge about investing and finance but have been reading blogs and books for a little while now and by nature I would describe myself as frugal and have always directed my money to where I want it to go. I have accumulated and let go of huge sums of money in my life, and used it for travelling, studying, learning, volunteering, etc... I have no regrets but 40 is suddenly not so far away and it's now time to see my goals for the future more vividly and make them happen. And that means learning how to direct my money differently and with that there is a mental shift needing to take place within the psyche...

My main goals include: paying cash for some land and designing and building (with my hands) my own small self-sufficient house, and retiring from working full time in my profession in 10 years time.

It was wonderful to come across MMM. It has been the tipping point for me because it made me realise that my dreams of early retirement are not only possible, but there are people already doing it. Ignoring the naysayers and complainypants takes courage and energy but it's much easier to do knowing there are like-minded souls out there doing the same.

Pioneerw2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1637 on: September 16, 2014, 08:53:16 AM »
Hello All,

I am trying to get the family into a more streamlined way of living. It has its ups and downs though.

I do not see an early retirement but more of a scaling back in the work load and rat race. I left a nice paying stressful job with a hefty commute for something closer to home for a lot less money and less stress. Foolishly purchased a brand new car when I had the higher paying job (1.99% interest for 5 years). I claim that I am frugal and I am 95% of the time. I am working on being so 100% of the time. It is so true that emotions play a big part in purchases and decisions. Had I been Spock-like for the past 5 years or so..... I just live and learn and look for ways to move forward and learn from it. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I am curious to know how everyone manages their healthcare expenses ? I have several issues arising and three family members so far that have chronic health issues that need to be managed with doctor care and medicines. We have insurance but it does not cover 100% until we meet a deductible.

I Look forward to learning more about frugality and meeting like minded people here.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1638 on: September 16, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
Hey fellow mustachians! Thanks for the introductions, it's lovely to 'meet' some like-minded folks :)

I'm single, female, live in Australia, aged 36. I have no debt but don't own anything either. I have an emergency fund saved and another small 'stache ready to begin plugging in to some investment funds. I am almost mentally ready for it but have a bit more learning to do first. I am coming at this with limited knowledge about investing and finance but have been reading blogs and books for a little while now and by nature I would describe myself as frugal and have always directed my money to where I want it to go. I have accumulated and let go of huge sums of money in my life, and used it for travelling, studying, learning, volunteering, etc... I have no regrets but 40 is suddenly not so far away and it's now time to see my goals for the future more vividly and make them happen. And that means learning how to direct my money differently and with that there is a mental shift needing to take place within the psyche...

My main goals include: paying cash for some land and designing and building (with my hands) my own small self-sufficient house, and retiring from working full time in my profession in 10 years time.

It was wonderful to come across MMM. It has been the tipping point for me because it made me realise that my dreams of early retirement are not only possible, but there are people already doing it. Ignoring the naysayers and complainypants takes courage and energy but it's much easier to do knowing there are like-minded souls out there doing the same.

Welcome to the forum.  I see that you are from Australia and are interested in learning about investing, so I thought you might be interested in this thread:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/australian-investing-thread/

There are lots of other Aussies on the forum.

Good luck!

Starter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1639 on: September 17, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
Hello my fellow Mustachians!

I am very excited to have found MMM. I wish this site had existed when my husband and I were DINKS and had tons of disposable income.  Ah well.  I'm looking forward to all the wonderful lessons/tips/suggestions put forth in this forum.

Myself: SAHM to 3 kids (5 and under).  University educated.  Married to a genius who wants FI but loves his job too much to retire.  Live in Northern Canada.  Am already viewed by many friends as badass but look like a sucka compared to MMM fam.  Am striving every day to be more badass ( and impressing my husband at the same time).

Wasdramer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Spiritual Saver
« Reply #1640 on: September 17, 2014, 11:44:12 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm just now starting to work my way towards eliminating my college debt. I've started using YNAB for managing my funds and I do my banking through Simple (an amazing bank) and a local credit union. I'm trying to save up my money with a part time income of $7.85 an hour. I'm hoping to be able to do it, though I'm still getting a lot of things established at first, especially my budget.

Hope to make some really epic choices for my future soon!

dok33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1641 on: September 19, 2014, 01:56:01 PM »
Been lurking here for about a year after running across the forum/blog searching for info on MVNO cell plans, figured it was time for an intro/progress update!

My wife and I are 30 somethings raising 3 kids on a single engineer salary that hasn't grown much over the past few years.  We actually started working on getting our financial house in order a couple years ago after finding out she was pregnant with twins and realizing that we were spending about 110% of our dual income (you'd think for an engineer I'd be a little better with numbers) but have really turned up the heat over the past year thanks to the great info on this site.  In that time we've gone up 2 kids, down 1 salary and are significantly more financially stable thanks to a 28% reduction in living expenses.  We still have a rather large student loan and a couple of other smaller loans to pay off but should be debt free in the not too distant future thanks to our newfound badassity, a term I use loosely as compared to others on this forum!

A few of the many wins this year:
-Cell phone bill from $202 to $46 thanks to Ting
-$260/month average fuel savings from combo of trading our Toyota Sequoia for a Prius and me bike commuting ~80mi/week
-30lbs off my still overweight frame thanks to said bike commuting
-$500 (not an extra zero there) less per month spent on food compared to 2yrs ago despite buying more fresh produce and lean protein and having a 6' tall 14yr old in the house who eats everything he sees
-Opened a Mint account and stopped spending multiple hours a week entering things into my budget spreadsheet (continued frugality muscle workouts will take this even farther)
-Spent less time perusing the auto section of Craigslist (I'm a bit of a gearhead) and started posting on my blog for the first time in about a year and a half.  (Probably also saved $ not buying crap I don't need here too but I haven't been tracking that)

My wife thought I was a little crazy at first but taking MMM's approach of setting the example and practicing what I preach has really helped bring her around on (most) things, not spending hundreds per month on parts for my car projects and my death warmed over look after biking 11mi home from work at 5PM on a 105 degree day are probably key contributors. We'll have one loan paid off next month and the others (hopefully) by Jan'16 with the next target being killing the student loan which will leave us debt free aside from our mortgage which has ~$120k left on it and will be next on the list!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:59:00 PM by dok33 »

MsWillow

• Stubble
« Reply #1642 on: September 20, 2014, 08:48:18 AM »
Hi,
I am excited to finally start commenting after reading voraciously all summer. I am married with 2 kids. We have started the MM lifestyle, the timing couldn't have been better. My SO has recently been given a lay off notice, so we will be budgeting out of necessity. I am looking forward to great advice as I continue to check in....daily.
MsW

MustacheNorway

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1643 on: September 20, 2014, 01:26:36 PM »
Hi everybody...

I am Ronnie, I am 33 years old , live in Norway with my lovely girlfriend with no kids but with  4 cats and a dog , in a really nice part of our own (very expensive) peice of heaven.. :)

I have a HUGE amount of debt, for several unimportant reasons. Totally $387.000 , my part of the house is worth $315.000 (Yeah, Norwegian houseprices is redicolous) , so some of it are "covered" , but we have no plans of moving so the debt will remain.

I have a well paying job, with overtime and some travel it totals to $94.500 a year.

I am VERY glad i found MMM , and in the two month's I've been reading it from beginning to end I have already started to have a very significant change in attitude and how I handle money.

Before I found the MMM Blog I never had enough money each month, and always had to work overtime to get the ends to meet.
Now, after only two months, I can actually not work any overtime, and still be able to save about $150, but I always work a lot , so I save (or actually pay on my depts) substansially.

My next move is to sell the, "stupid" way too expensive car, that will make my debt go down about $25.000 and I can use the money I am paying down the car mortage with, against one of my other mortages. I will instead buy a cheaper car that I own myself , without any debt.

At the moment I do a lot of payments ($3800 regular payment + all overtime income) to get dept free as soon as possible.
My plan is to be debt free in 7 years and use another 5-6 to get FI.

This would never been been even close to realistic without getting the input I have gotten from MMM. So thank you in opening my eyes.
If I had been able to do one thing over,  it would be to kick my 25 year old self repeatadly in the face, and tell him to grow up.....  :)  But I am finally on the right track. :)

Otherwise I love to travel, reading books, build things (redecorating the house , doing add ons etc). So I generally enjoy life.
I would also like to take the opportunity to say that you can get FI even with a redicolous amount of debt if you just have the right attitude.

An off topic question , are there any country based threads \ sections?  Would be cool to have a Norwegian Corner, where we could trade services, goods etc , the frugal way.

- Ronnie

ViragoStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hoarding me booty...
« Reply #1644 on: September 20, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »
Hey, ViragoStache here.  Located in the Midwest (Milwaukee WI area) I'm in my 40s, married with two young boys.  Found MMM early this year and read it from first to last post.  Love the idea and trying to sell it to the hubby.

Really glad to have the forum as anyone you tell you are "retiring early" looks at you like you are crazy.  They are all scared and stuck (perhaps with debt, but at least with consumerism).  Or they laugh and think I'm joking.  Won't that retirement party be a surprise :)

It's great to have like minded people here and love the possibility of meeting up with local Mustachians!

Thanks!

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #1645 on: September 21, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »
Hi!  I'm coin, I'm 24 and live in Perth, Western Australia.  I have a partner who is more 'mustachian' in some ways (e.g. he has a higher savings rate than me) but less so in others (he's not all that interested in early retirement/financial independence while I am all over this stuff).

I've been reading the blog for a while now, but only recently gotten into it.  I've mostly been focusing on substituting my more spendy habits with some more frugal ones.  The idea of bikes has really caught on with me, to the point where I packed a lunch and cycled from Morley to Fremantle (~33kms) yesterday.  I didn't think it was something I could do, because I'm unfit and asthmatic, but I did it!  Sure, maybe I'm not the fastest, but that packed lunch tasted like victory (take that, asthma!).

MustacheNorway

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1646 on: September 21, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »
Hi!  I'm coin, I'm 24 and live in Perth, Western Australia.  I have a partner who is more 'mustachian' in some ways (e.g. he has a higher savings rate than me) but less so in others (he's not all that interested in early retirement/financial independence while I am all over this stuff).

I've been reading the blog for a while now, but only recently gotten into it.  I've mostly been focusing on substituting my more spendy habits with some more frugal ones.  The idea of bikes has really caught on with me, to the point where I packed a lunch and cycled from Morley to Fremantle (~33kms) yesterday.  I didn't think it was something I could do, because I'm unfit and asthmatic, but I did it!  Sure, maybe I'm not the fastest, but that packed lunch tasted like victory (take that, asthma!).

Kudos to you!!    Impressive!  :)

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1647 on: September 21, 2014, 12:39:40 PM »
Hi,

I'm 46, married with a son in college, and live in WV, USA.  My wife and I have always prided ourselves on being frugal, but somehow our passively expanding spending always seems to keep pace with my slowly expanding salary.  I've always maxed out the employer match on my 401k, but beyond that we've found long-term saving to be difficult.  Recently we've redoubled (quadrupled?) our efforts, with a goal of retiring by the time I hit 55 (or sooner, if possible).

I'm enjoying all the great tips on the blog and in the forum and looking forward to trading advice with you all.

FreeWheel

• Stubble
« Reply #1648 on: September 21, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
Hi everybody! My long time wife and I never had a budget, never really looked at or tracked the dollars going in or out. We just always spent less than we made as a matter of course.

We had an extremely low cost wedding, saved double the down payment necessary for a home before we married. Kept other loans to a minimum, would never allow ourselves to pay any interest on credit cards. We always thought paying anything monthly for TV was way too silly to ever sign up for.

I've had a passion for bicycles my entire life, always repairing/restoring and riding them. Many bikes that were trash finds, donations, or bought at low cost, have been sold for profit, or given to people in need. When I finish a bike it is 100% ready to go, and looks good too. I've been cycling to work for over 8 years.

We kept our cars for 10-15 years (spent way more years without a car loan than with) and paid off the home mortgage early. Started putting 12-14% into our 401k's early on, and ended up saving outside of that every month because we never spent it all. Today, at 54 and 52, we figure we are on track for a very comfortable retirement at the normal age.

After reading MMM for many months, I now see that we could have easily been retired a while ago!  Even so, we're in great financial shape, so I don't feel I need to punch myself (or my wife!) in the face too hard.

I've recently started dropping hints with my wife that with a few changes, one or even both of us could retire earlier than we planned. I'm taking it slow, but don't expect it to be too hard of a sell!

It's great to join up with a group of like minded people. I look forward to shooting the breeze with all of you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:11:54 PM by FreeWheel »

Unkempt Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1649 on: September 21, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »
Hello Community :)

My name is Jake and I live in the Midwest. I'm in my early 30s and have a long way until FIRE.

I enjoy my career in software, but I would love to be able to either donate my skills to good causes or to start small businesses for myself.

Alternatively, being able to donate a large portion of my working income would be a good place to be...

I was raised poor and I love the idea of reaching FI and working because I *want* to, but with no fear.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!