Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3322184 times)

SterlingArcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #4200 on: February 10, 2021, 02:28:41 PM »
I am Sterling Archer, the world's greatest secret agent. My missions have taken me to many dangerous places, but my latest mission is the most dangerous of all. In the course of this mission, I will risk retirement. Permanently.

While I normally work best alone (reports of my teamwork are greatly exaggerated), I look forward to exchange ideas, tales and successes with all of you!

bearcat1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4201 on: February 17, 2021, 07:42:25 AM »
Hi all,
Longtime lurker on the forums, decided it's time I create an account and maybe even post a few questions if I'm brave. I've learned a lot just from reading but am not nearly as advanced as many. No FIRE date or anything! I just come from a frugal family, have continued to be frugal as an adult, and stumbled on this blog a few years ago and thought it might actually work for me.
I'm a 38yo female, no dependents yet, but I know my currently-low expenses would go up quite a bit if I had kids and whenever I someday buy a house. So that's more in my nearer-term planning.
Glad to be here!

fraylock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4202 on: February 17, 2021, 02:21:19 PM »
Hello Mustachians!

34yo primary care physician here, and it's a pleasure to join.  Like others, I am inspired by the path to FI(RE?).  There are so many fascinating things to see and do in the world and FI would seem to open the door to many of them.  Glad to become a part of this community.

WesternAugust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4203 on: February 21, 2021, 03:02:04 PM »
Hello everyone!

DW and I are early/mid 40’s and have been making plans for early retirement since our early 30’s. We are at a point where we are comfortable with our plan and think we are within 5 years of pulling the plug. We are actually starting to make some semi-major life decisions in preparation for the transition which is very exciting for us.

Our biggest single consideration is our daughter, who was born with a rare genetic disease.
Due to her health issues she will always require round-the-clock care so our FIRE plans include being her long-term caregivers. This has caused us to revise our FIRE numbers a few times, adding a few years and increased savings goals. We feel pretty comfortable when we retire we will have the resources to make sure her health and financial needs can be met which has been our biggest hurdle in our FIRE journey.

Antonia_Caenis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4204 on: March 06, 2021, 02:44:14 PM »
I'm 18 and learned about FI a few months ago. My passion is writing and I'm immensely relieved that I no longer have to face any tradeoffs between commercializability and artistic integrity. But the insights and impulses I've gained through this community go far beyond that. Huge thanks to everyone who makes this possible, you are awesome and I admire you all.

I have a quick question, but I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, so, uh:
I made an account called AntoniaCaenis with a web.de email, but couldn't receive the activation mail. I've tried "Need another activation mail?" but it's still not working.
Now I've made an account with an _ in it and a gmail address, which works, but I'd rather have the first one and having two accounts seems like a waste of server storage space and probably also messes up forum stats (the member count at least). I am so sorry for this mess! If fixing this is a hassle for anyone other than me, please leave it.

Looking forward to participating here (this isn't an omen, right?? :) ) and have a wonderful day!

Toni

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4205 on: March 06, 2021, 06:32:21 PM »
I'm 18 and learned about FI a few months ago. My passion is writing and I'm immensely relieved that I no longer have to face any tradeoffs between commercializability and artistic integrity. But the insights and impulses I've gained through this community go far beyond that. Huge thanks to everyone who makes this possible, you are awesome and I admire you all.

I have a quick question, but I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, so, uh:
I made an account called AntoniaCaenis with a web.de email, but couldn't receive the activation mail. I've tried "Need another activation mail?" but it's still not working.
Now I've made an account with an _ in it and a gmail address, which works, but I'd rather have the first one and having two accounts seems like a waste of server storage space and probably also messes up forum stats (the member count at least). I am so sorry for this mess! If fixing this is a hassle for anyone other than me, please leave it.

Looking forward to participating here (this isn't an omen, right?? :) ) and have a wonderful day!

Toni

Hi!! I like your user name. I read a book about your namesake once, The Course of Honour by Lindsey Davis. Quite an interesting story!! So nice that you are starting this journey at 18. I like writing too. I don't really understand your question though. Your post showed up so that must mean your account worked.

Antonia_Caenis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4206 on: March 07, 2021, 06:10:45 AM »
Hi, thank you so much for your answer! I learned about her from the Vespasian Series by Robert Fabbri, but The Course of Honour is also on my reading list. I plan to either minor or major in history :)

The account Antonia_Caenis works, the account AntoniaCaenis doesn't. The activation mail should have gone to antoniacaenis@web.de, but didn't arrive. I activated the account I'm using right now with a gmail address. Like I said, it's no big problem, and I'm sorry for not phrasing it clearly the first time!

kimura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4207 on: March 08, 2021, 11:37:11 AM »
Hello from the PNW! Glad I found this place. What a wealth of knowledge!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4208 on: March 08, 2021, 06:31:29 PM »
Hi, thank you so much for your answer! I learned about her from the Vespasian Series by Robert Fabbri, but The Course of Honour is also on my reading list. I plan to either minor or major in history :)

The account Antonia_Caenis works, the account AntoniaCaenis doesn't. The activation mail should have gone to antoniacaenis@web.de, but didn't arrive. I activated the account I'm using right now with a gmail address. Like I said, it's no big problem, and I'm sorry for not phrasing it clearly the first time!

Ooh, I will put that series on my summer reading list. I was a classics major once but didn't finish that degree.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4209 on: March 08, 2021, 06:31:59 PM »
Hello from the PNW! Glad I found this place. What a wealth of knowledge!

Welcome!

kimura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4210 on: March 08, 2021, 09:20:07 PM »
Thanks!!!!

2KidFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4211 on: March 10, 2021, 02:21:33 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've been reading MMM since 2014/2015 (can't recall exactly) and have been lurking in the forums for the same amount of time.  I've read tons of good advice over the years and appreciate hearing everyone's feedback and life experiences!

My wife and I are in our late 30's / early 40's and have two boys, both under the age of 7.  We live in California in the house we own (with mortgage!) and are looking to retire at the end of 2021.  I figured it was time to come out of the shadows as we're really getting close to FIRE, so I wanted to say hi!

creativemonster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4212 on: March 15, 2021, 06:47:43 PM »
Hi all -
Been lurking for a couple of years...I'll probably crawl back into my dark corner and continue along my lurker ways but have to say how much I love reading (almost) everyone's posts. If I could figure out how to make money from daydreaming about my eventual, one day in the future, super fabulous, not really early if we are being completely honest, retirement, then I would be rich.  For now I am rich in my technicolor, multi-layered, day dream abilities, and not close to that wealth in money.  Ah well.  I am also not in any debt outside what I owe for the let's-hope-it-stays-standing-long-enough-house.  So, that's a positive, right? Ok, back to my dark corner!

coopsdaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4213 on: March 16, 2021, 05:53:42 AM »
New couple from Oklahoma,mid 40s with 3 kids and really interested in fire.Look forward to learning and sharing!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4214 on: March 31, 2021, 07:24:17 PM »
Hi everyone I’m new here.  Looking forward to finding out if I should pay off my mortgage and whether black boxes are actually red

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4215 on: April 01, 2021, 07:56:50 AM »
Hi everyone I’m new here.  Looking forward to finding out if I should pay off my mortgage and whether black boxes are actually red

dragoncar's odometer finally flipped.

mslladyfire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Savvy Ladies
« Reply #4216 on: April 06, 2021, 09:51:18 AM »
Hi there, I'm new to the forums but have been following MMM and other FI bloggers for many years. While I was vaguely following broad advice (mostly related to high saving and investing in real estate), I've decided it's time to get more serious about striving for FI (and possibly some form of retirement or "work optional" status). I look forward to learning more from you all and being more involved in the process and the community.

Segare

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4217 on: April 07, 2021, 04:59:38 AM »
Welcome

Malee55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4218 on: April 08, 2021, 05:21:14 PM »
Hi. I'm Edwina. I am a nurse and after 30 yrs of it I am very ready to stop work, or reduce to casual work and do it when I feel like it. Reading MMM for years has made me realize I don't need to work until 60, that it is possible to leave early (sort of, I'm 55).

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #4219 on: April 08, 2021, 05:59:06 PM »
Welcome aboard, @Malee55!

boardCertifried

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4220 on: April 10, 2021, 06:40:37 PM »
Hi, like a lot of you I've read the MMM blog over the years. Florida based myself. I hope I can learn from others' experiences here!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4221 on: April 13, 2021, 05:31:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick post to introduce myself.  DH and I are mid-forties long time followers and readers of MMM, but have only recently begun to post.  We are now both FIRE'd and excited to participate in this amazing community. 

mcdonv03

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4222 on: May 14, 2021, 11:57:29 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this blog as of March 2021. I am 61-years-old and just lost my job.  I am nervous, to say the least. To use an expression I've read here -- my hair is on fire. I will keep reading my way through the blog posts, cutting back on my expenses and assessing what to do next.  I am glad I found this blog, better later than never :)

blackbear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4223 on: May 16, 2021, 10:36:58 PM »
I've been reading MMM's blog for a few years now. Glad to have found this place. Nice to meet all of you!

CJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ahoy!
« Reply #4224 on: May 18, 2021, 12:16:47 AM »
I'm CJ, a former Navy officer, strength coach and aspiring FI-er out of Southern California. DIY and money management have been interests of mine  ("Yeah, I need to get around to learning that" kind of thing), so now that my biggest professional project is finally out of the 'sprint' stage, I'm looking forward to learning.

genericname55

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4225 on: May 26, 2021, 05:19:08 PM »
Hi everyone. I’ve lurked here for probably 6 or 7 years, but I’ve been a cheap ass all my life. I learned hard work, saving habits, and frugality from my father. Hoping to retire in the next few years.  I could probably do it now, but I’m extremely pessimistic, conservative, and noncommittal.  I’m hoping I won’t have one-more-year syndrome forever.  I’m in an industry that has thrived post-COVID and my primarily remote-work schedule has lessened the irritation of work (for now).

Hope everyone has a great rest of their week!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4226 on: May 29, 2021, 06:58:39 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this blog as of March 2021. I am 61-years-old and just lost my job.  I am nervous, to say the least. To use an expression I've read here -- my hair is on fire. I will keep reading my way through the blog posts, cutting back on my expenses and assessing what to do next.  I am glad I found this blog, better later than never :)

@mcdonv03 , please post a case study on the forum (https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/).

Directions on how to post a case study are here https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/how-to-write-a-'case-study'-topic/.

Your hair may be on fire, but there are always options and actions that you can take to put out the fire. Let the wisdom of the forum help you.

muffin sangria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4227 on: June 01, 2021, 02:19:51 PM »
Hi everyone - Long time lurker, first time poster. Hoping to reach FIRE in the next 5-7 years.

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #4228 on: June 01, 2021, 04:26:51 PM »
Hey all:
Been on here a while, just doing a reintroduce. Live in Hamilton Ontario Canada, and will be retiring soon....within 2 years.
Into biking, outdoors, coffee, beers etc.

noisyninja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4229 on: June 17, 2021, 02:32:29 PM »
I'm re-introducing myself. I joined here 7 years ago, posted a few times, disappeared. Life has been insane since then, and the stash I had at the time was destroyed. My wife and I are now rebuilding. So here goes:

I'm 41, my wife, three children and I live in the northern suburbs of Austin, TX. We moved here right before the pandemic began, and got a great deal on a house before the house price insanity began. I'm a video game developer, my wife's a medical assistant. We're kind of restarting from nothing here on our FIRE adventure, but excited to do so, and confident that we can get there in 10 years or so if we push hard.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4230 on: June 23, 2021, 11:02:04 AM »
@SwordGuy

Let's go back to my very first post in 2014.  Lot's of lifestyle creep and life education since then.  We're rapidly approaching the 3M without real estate level.  That's probably going to be enough.  Now it's more about healthcare and having to be 55 to qualify.  We use a lot health care now.  A catastrophic plan just won't be enough.  I so appreciate the concerns.  I didn't know the person that died, it was an outside company employee.  Luckily we were  in Florida at the time.  It is a hazardous business, but I'm not working directly with the process anymore.  I get to run away from and not to the problems now. 

Hey I'm new to MMM but not new to the quest to retire early.  I'm 45, married and have two boys in college. 
We have our mortage paid off and have a little over 1 million saved in retirement accounts. 
My goal is to retire before 50, which I reach in 2018.
Being debt free is wonderful.   Get it done.

UshB37

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4231 on: June 24, 2021, 03:38:23 AM »

Hi everyone I’m new here.  Looking forward to finding out if I should pay off my credits and to find new ways where to invest my money

epritch7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4232 on: June 25, 2021, 07:47:57 AM »
Hello, My wife and I have 3 children (11, 9 & 6) and enjoy traveling together especially domestically to wild spaces.  I love baseball, college FB and beer (craft or cheap).  Reached FI last fall in 2020 and plan on RE in 2022.  Been an avid reader of MMM since 2015 and just getting my feet wet on the forums. 

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #4233 on: July 02, 2021, 12:35:32 PM »
Hi everyone! Long time lurker on this forum, I discovered MMM's blog years ago and used to be a faithful reader. While I'm not strictly a Mustachian, I'm hoping to reach RE in 8-9 years.

ExShredder89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4234 on: July 05, 2021, 12:39:56 AM »
Hi everyone! I started reading MMM's blog in 2014 or 2015 when I was working on paying my student loans off. I like to think I'm fairly Mustachian compared to the average person, but I'm sure I've got a lot of stuff I could optimize. I'm excited to learn more by getting involved with the community.

I'm a software engineer in the Northeastern U.S.A., and while I love math and computers, my true passion is heavy metal - hence the name.

Visitation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4235 on: July 15, 2021, 11:05:39 AM »
Hello everyone,  new here as well.  Been reading for quite a few years and finally decided to join.

DW and I are already FI, shooting for RE in about 7 years.

I'm a Director of Software Engineering in the US, enjoy fishing and the outdoors. 

Visitation is the name of my boat :-)

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #4236 on: July 15, 2021, 11:32:04 AM »
I'm a software engineer in the Northeastern U.S.A., and while I love math and computers, my true passion is heavy metal - hence the name.

But why Ex, though? (Welcome!)

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4237 on: July 31, 2021, 08:31:14 PM »
Hi everyone! Long time lurker on this forum, I discovered MMM's blog years ago and used to be a faithful reader. While I'm not strictly a Mustachian, I'm hoping to reach RE in 8-9 years.

Hi! Do you live in Pasadena CA? Welcome in any case!

Fun fact aboot me: Pasadena--where I live--is the only part of SoCal that I don't absolutely hate and detest! Aside from that, the only good part of SoCal is the freeway that heads north to San Francisco!!

In any case, I hope you enjoy these forums!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 08:32:53 PM by ObviouslyNotAGolfer »

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #4238 on: August 01, 2021, 08:40:44 AM »

Hi! Do you live in Pasadena CA? Welcome in any case!

Fun fact aboot me: Pasadena--where I live--is the only part of SoCal that I don't absolutely hate and detest! Aside from that, the only good part of SoCal is the freeway that heads north to San Francisco!!

In any case, I hope you enjoy these forums!

I used to... but not anymore. I also didn't like living in LA, now I'm in Seattle and so much happier :)

kerri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4239 on: August 03, 2021, 10:05:52 PM »
Hi,
Are you still in Canberra. I'm just starting FIRE.
Kerri

price_iswrong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4240 on: August 06, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »
Ello ello

Just happy to be here :)

Have most of my life organized rn however I am an east coaster looking to make a move out to somewhere with a higher quality of life for a lower cost.
I'm a big fan of tax refunds, cheap bottles of wine, and side hustles.

Let's get FIREy

-Nick

Nocto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4241 on: August 08, 2021, 05:55:54 PM »
Hello everyone! Part-time lurker, finally joining so I can join a community with people who are like minded. Pleasure to be here and looking forward to the adventure.

jamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4242 on: August 11, 2021, 06:37:32 PM »
Howdy! Been lurking for the last 3 years but figured it's time to say hi. DH and I are getting increasingly focused on FIREing in the next 3-5 years.

The saving is going well, but it's feeling like an increasingly lonely quest where we live. Most of our friends have really gotten sucked up the escalator of lifestyle inflation the last few years, making decisions that will force them to keep working for a loooooong time, while we continue to just plug away in our small apartment, saving as much as possible. They're always like, "hey why don't you buy this million dollar house? It's time!"

Looking forward to chatting with you fine people! I'm hoping to feel more of a sense of community with other folks who think there ought to be more to life than working in an office for 50 years.

Cheers.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #4243 on: August 12, 2021, 05:46:33 PM »
Welcome Nick and welcome lurkers!

janus NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4244 on: August 20, 2021, 09:08:13 AM »
Hi, this is Janus. Married a wonderfull woman, with two kids and working in a hedge fund based in Connecticut (Headquarters). Before were living in San Diego and Chicago.
Zero debts. Our dream, to live in NYC, London and Madrid during the year. With real estate properties in NYC and Madrid right now. Scanning London right now.
Savings are going well.

JungYo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4245 on: August 23, 2021, 08:44:32 AM »
Hiya MMM Community! So happy to finally register and expect to soon post my case study for advice/critique. The blog and forum have been eye-opening, and for that I thank all of you.

Wife and I are in central NC, mid-late 50's (that RE thing is out the window), and while I think I've managed to save "enough," we are by no means financially astute. Looking forward to continued learning here, and perhaps some direction on how I can retire asap. :)

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #4246 on: August 24, 2021, 12:15:29 PM »
Hiya MMM Community! So happy to finally register and expect to soon post my case study for advice/critique. The blog and forum have been eye-opening, and for that I thank all of you.

Wife and I are in central NC, mid-late 50's (that RE thing is out the window), and while I think I've managed to save "enough," we are by no means financially astute. Looking forward to continued learning here, and perhaps some direction on how I can retire asap. :)

Welcome!  If you end up retiring earlier than you previously thought you would, then I would say that is "RE". 

XGE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4247 on: September 08, 2021, 05:43:14 PM »
Hi, Everyone!

Long time lurker; first time poster.  I'm a government worker who has long since had enough but has only this year hit Minimum Retirement Age.  I'm looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life at the end of this year.

Darian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4248 on: September 12, 2021, 08:36:52 AM »
Hi everyone! Also a long-time lurker, first time poster. I've been following Mr. Money Mustache since his Washington Post article in 2013, and he was the motivation for me to open my Vanguard account that same year :) I'm an early 30s government worker in Northern Virginia.

freeree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4249 on: October 17, 2021, 10:04:22 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm Rhian, a frequenter of Mr. MM while dreaming the (seemingly) impossible dream of FIRE. [Brief aside, comparison IS truly the thief of joy.] I finally achieved my goal after years of angst ...completing hundreds of calculations, and reading countless books/blogs/posts. I'm still in awe of myself, I formulated a plan and then executed it!

My colleague in arms, Eric, may he rest in peace, at the beginning of 2021 urged me to utilize FMLA, as he was doing, instead of quitting/retiring. I left for the UK in May to spend five months with my 93-yr old dad. The month prior, Eric passed away from COVID.

I've already blown my financial budget - purchased a used car in the UK so I could visit people and places which were important to me. Regardless, I'm prepared to deal with the consequences - I'll cinch my financial belt and get a part-time job if needed. At least I'm Mistress of my Destiny.

Thank you for reading my post. Good luck, health and fortune to you all.