Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317780 times)

spam_sammich

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #4000 on: September 02, 2019, 10:41:51 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm Will.

Recently discovered MMM and am excited to start my path to FI!

katcrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4001 on: September 07, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »
Hi, I am Katie. I was lost in a sea of materialism. I have been rescued.

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
« Reply #4002 on: September 07, 2019, 11:40:13 PM »
Hello from Canada

I’m in my 40s, married with 1 child and I know that I can retire

Because I did retire. On a couple of occasions, and for 2 years each time, I retired and planned never to return to the workforce. But I was one of the unfortunate few who eventually became so bored in retirement that I went back to work

During these “Retire Early” trials I started going to bed later and later, until I found myself going to sleep when the sun came up. Personal grooming eventually fell off a cliff and I went out in my PJs (the pants at least, sometimes I wore a hoodie or jacket)

I also got lazy. With no schedule, I spent my time gaming, reading, eating and getting fat (Today I still game and read but I eat healthier and am no longer fat)

Travel became boring. The problem was that I was never a history or architecture buff. In yet another foreign city I commented to my DW that you could just replace all the street signs in whatever language you wanted and tell me that I was in whatever country - it all looked and felt the same. Same old churches, temples and buildings. Same restaurant feel - rustic or modern. Same materials/layout of hotels or bed and breakfast. Same airports and planes. Same tourist traps. All same. Beach vacations were worse. All same, but faster

I took up a couple hobbies, but none required 16 hours a day, every day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, which is how much time I had

Friends suggested many things that I wouldn’t do even if somebody paid me - arts and crafts, clean the house, learn a language, learn an instrument, sit in a lecture hall, work around the home, gardening, hiking, etc. I would rather just go back to work if I had to do those things. I hate doing all those things

Another unforeseen problem was the lack of social interaction with co-workers and friends. And finding people in my 30s and 40s who weren’t busy with work, raising children or both was impossible. Nobody was able to meet with me during the free time that I had available - which was any time, all the time. They could only meet on weekends (maybe) or for lunch (infrequently)

The experience of retiring was priceless nonetheless. I now know what to expect

Financial Stuff

If there was a study to show that financial freedom is based on luck, I would be Exhibit A

My tax knowledge is low. My investing knowledge is slightly higher, but still low. I am carried 99% by my temperament and 1% by low-grade arithmetic

I typically work 20-24 hours a week at Fortune 500 MegaCorp. During a busy week I work 40.  I’m efficient and work from home. I’m not an executive and don’t manage people. I would hate that. I don’t work for the pay. In fact I don’t spend any of it. It all gets banked (I’ll get to that later).

I have a NW of a little over $5m with no debt

I have US index funds,  BRKb stock, US RE, my primary residence (CAN RE), and cash. Equity/RE/cash split is approximately 30%/60%/10%

I’m both a market timer and regular investor of low-fee US index funds via MegaCorp’s DCPP

I market timed a few things:

1. During the tech crash by buying BRBb pre-reverse-split from $2400 down to $1400

2. CAN RE during our real estate downturn in the 1990s

3. Low fee US index funds during the Great Recession (done in my Canadian Registered Retirement Savings Account and MegaCorp’s DCPP)

4. US rental real estate during the Great Recession. I achieved my goal of replacing my annual cashflow needs for my household with these rentals. That’s why I don’t really need to spend any of my pay from MegaCorp

I’ve tracked my annual spending for years and spend $6000/mo.

Retiring has given me a gift and that is a new found appreciation of working @MegaCorp. I’m a happier person now

I don’t plan to post much, I’m more of a lurker, but I’ll answer questions re: this topic or chat via PM

Best

adityasharma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • car wash services
« Reply #4003 on: September 09, 2019, 04:48:00 AM »
Hello Everyone!

I'm Aditya , New to MrMoney forum!

ExExpress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4004 on: September 11, 2019, 10:56:18 AM »
I have been lurking for awhile while cleaning up my financially stupid ways.  I hit a twofer milestone today so opted to join.  Mortgage refinance was completed at the end of last month to remove PMI and lower rate, the overage at closing combined with the escrow refund from the old mortgage was a few hundred dollars short of my student loan balance.  Deposited the checks and made my last ever student loan payment today!  With PMI and student loans out of my life I have $140 per month to better purpose.

My next task is to stream line my finances.  I had a habit of chasing bank account bonuses and optimizing credit card rewards so my financial life is much more complicated than it needs to be. Goal is to close one account a month for the rest of the year while continuing to track every penny spent with an eye toward lowering spend every month.

An Unassuming Moose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4005 on: September 11, 2019, 03:55:08 PM »
I've been an avid Mustachian for over two years now, but I'm just getting around to joining the forum now. I guess I'm looking for people who share the same mindset, and who don't think it's weird to discuss savings rate and whatnot. Most of my IRL friends are slowly coming around to the idea, but have a while to go yet. I have hope for them yet, but they're getting tired of hearing me rant, haha!

firebrand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4006 on: September 12, 2019, 01:00:51 PM »
This website is amazing!

I am humbled by all of the success stories by so many people so much younger than I am, and especially by folks who are just getting started in the MMM philosophies. I wish this resource was available when I was in my 20's/30's (I'm 59).

My story is simple enough and very familiar with all of you, generally lived below my means, saved modestly, compound interest, time, etc..

I'm not a member of the double comma club but close enough that when combined with an expense profile that is much more than I have been accustomed to I simply cannot fail (meteors, zombie apocalypse, nuclear wars, etc notwithstanding), at least that's what all the retirement calculators say.

So, I have officially resigned ahead of schedule. My new life begins this December!

antor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4007 on: September 13, 2019, 04:55:17 AM »
Hi all guys, i'm from Italy !

An Unassuming Moose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4008 on: September 13, 2019, 05:14:36 PM »
So, I have officially resigned ahead of schedule. My new life begins this December!
Congrats firebrand!!

Foseneril

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4009 on: September 17, 2019, 07:18:05 AM »
Hi all, I'm Luige from Eugene, Oregon.

worldwideox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4010 on: September 17, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »
Hi all! I’m in central Texas (near Austin), just turned 42. My husband is 41, and we have 3 kids ages 9-14. We’re both self-employed, and while we’ve had various investments and been mostly debt-free for over a decade now, we’ve kinda let the fire in us fizzle out… until recently.

So I’ve recently reignited my fire, and while the E in our FIRE won’t be super early, we’d love to retire in a decade. We’re both self-employed and love our work, so it’s more about the freedom and autonomy than it is about not working — I’d actually love to keep doing my work as long as I can.

We love to travel, have lived overseas in the past, and would love to do it again eventually. (We can mostly take our work with us wherever we go, and I’m so thankful for that.)

Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the cost of college for our kids, and are debating how much to fund that vs. our own retirement. Learning a lot at the moment — in fact, feeling a fit like I’m drinking from the firehose. SO. much. information.

Just discovered MMM, even though I heard of FIRE several years ago… loving what I’m learning so far! Glad to have found this space.

Peter G

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Coasting to FI
« Reply #4011 on: September 22, 2019, 09:20:51 PM »
Hey MMM forum Members - I just got back from Camp Mustache Toronto (CM*TO) 2019 - amazing experience.

I lurked the forums years ago but wanted to join to stay connected to the amazing people I met at Camp.

Regards,
Peter

50yearoldmillennial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4012 on: September 25, 2019, 08:02:18 AM »
Hi I'm Scott, the 50 (plus) year old Millennial.  I'm in the never ending search for FI and I truly appreciate the thoughts, mindsets and the "against the norm" wisdom shared here!  Thanks everyone for sharing!

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #4013 on: September 26, 2019, 03:34:20 PM »
Hi all, I'm Parker, mid-30s Canadian. I've been reading and lurking for a few years and finally decided to sign up and contribute to the conversations!

fire100xz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4014 on: September 29, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
Hi everyone
I read MMM for years, but posting for the first time.

I am struggling with making progress... so I hope active participation in the Forum will help me!

Alchemisst

• Bristles
« Reply #4015 on: October 04, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »
Hello from Canada

Because I did retire. On a couple of occasions, and for 2 years each time, I retired and planned never to return to the workforce. But I was one of the unfortunate few who eventually became so bored in retirement that I went back to work

During these “Retire Early” trials I started going to bed later and later, until I found myself going to sleep when the sun came up. Personal grooming eventually fell off a cliff and I went out in my PJs (the pants at least, sometimes I wore a hoodie or jacket)

I also got lazy. With no schedule, I spent my time gaming, reading, eating and getting fat (Today I still game and read but I eat healthier and am no longer fat)

Travel became boring. The problem was that I was never a history or architecture buff. In yet another foreign city I commented to my DW that you could just replace all the street signs in whatever language you wanted and tell me that I was in whatever country - it all looked and felt the same. Same old churches, temples and buildings. Same restaurant feel - rustic or modern. Same materials/layout of hotels or bed and breakfast. Same airports and planes. Same tourist traps. All same. Beach vacations were worse. All same, but faster

I took up a couple hobbies, but none required 16 hours a day, every day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, which is how much time I had

Friends suggested many things that I wouldn’t do even if somebody paid me - arts and crafts, clean the house, learn a language, learn an instrument, sit in a lecture hall, work around the home, gardening, hiking, etc. I would rather just go back to work if I had to do those things. I hate doing all those things

Another unforeseen problem was the lack of social interaction with co-workers and friends. And finding people in my 30s and 40s who weren’t busy with work, raising children or both was impossible. Nobody was able to meet with me during the free time that I had available - which was any time, all the time. They could only meet on weekends (maybe) or for lunch (infrequently)

Financial Stuff

If there was a study to show that financial freedom is based on luck, I would be Exhibit A

My tax knowledge is low. My investing knowledge is slightly higher, but still low. I am carried 99% by my temperament and 1% by low-grade arithmetic

I typically work 20-24 hours a week at Fortune 500 MegaCorp. During a busy week I work 40.  I’m efficient and work from home. I’m not an executive and don’t manage people. I would hate that. I don’t work for the pay. In fact I don’t spend any of it. It all gets banked (I’ll get to that later).

I have US index funds,  BRKb stock, US RE, my primary residence (CAN RE), and cash. Equity/RE/cash split is approximately 30%/60%/10%

I’m both a market timer and regular investor of low-fee US index funds via MegaCorp’s DCPP

1. During the tech crash by buying BRBb pre-reverse-split from $2400 down to $1400

3. Low fee US index funds during the Great Recession (done in my Canadian Registered Retirement Savings Account and MegaCorp’s DCPP)

4. US rental real estate during the Great Recession. I achieved my goal of replacing my annual cashflow needs for my household with these rentals. That’s why I don’t really need to spend any of my pay from MegaCorp

Retiring has given me a gift and that is a new found appreciation of working @MegaCorp. I’m a happier person now

I don’t plan to post much, I’m more of a lurker, but I’ll answer questions re: this topic or chat via PM

Best

Hi Nancy very interesting/ encouraging story. Interesting to see that you did a fair bit of market timing, in hindsight it makes sense but it must have been pretty hard at the time? e.g buying in the recession, hopefully I'm able to do the same. Can I ask what type of work you do/ did?

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #4016 on: October 04, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »
Hello from Canada

Financial Stuff

Best

Hi Nancy very interesting/ encouraging story. Interesting to see that you did a fair bit of market timing, in hindsight it makes sense but it must have been pretty hard at the time? e.g buying in the recession, hopefully I'm able to do the same. Can I ask what type of work you do/ did?

Hi Alch,

I was asked similar questions about the definition of “market timing” and what I do for work in the following thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/hello-from-canada-99808.html

You ask an interesting question about market timing and fear

I mentioned in the linked thread that most of my results are due to my temperament and not my investment knowledge. I only have broad and very general investment knowledge

The short version is that, due to early indoctrination during my teens, I don’t get scared during market downturns

Long before experiencing my first downturn, I had already brainwashed myself with Buffett, Munger, and Bogle. These titans assured me that 1) the US markets always fall, 2) the US markets always recover to higher highs

Blindly trusting this to be true, I mindlessly buy during price declines

And each boom/bust cycle has continued to reinforce this to be true

What I had to learn from experience is that boom periods last significantly longer than bust periods. So I spend an uncomfortably long time doing nothing except watching appreciation and storing cash. So long that, at times, I have to continually remind myself that there’s no reason to deploy capital

“Money is like having a full bladder, people can’t help but piss it away”

By the time the next inevitable bust occurs, I am so very happy to be able to relieve myself lol

PS: why I decided to read Bogle, Munger, and Buffett stuff at the age of 14 is another story haha
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:06:24 PM by nancyfrank232 »

HiPoodle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hi there
« Reply #4017 on: October 06, 2019, 06:04:27 PM »
Hi Everyone - I'm new to the blog and like it. Not sure if it's perfect for me so if you know of something else for my situation, please let me know.

I've been frugal my whole life and a big saver. Now I'm looking at actually how (and when) to use my investments to live. I'll be 60 this year and am not working, just traveling off some savings (not my nest egg). I'm not sure if my FI number is sufficient (500K without social security). What's your number? I'm single and female.

Mako52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4018 on: October 07, 2019, 06:16:47 AM »
We are a married couple in our 40s looking to hang it up in our 50s after our youngest is out of college.  The main conundrum right now is what to do with our 3.38% mortgage on reduced income.  Will be posting about that in another sub-forum. 

Looking forward to learning from everyone. 

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4019 on: October 09, 2019, 11:46:03 AM »
Hi,
I have been lurking and posting and keeping a journal for a few months, but am just finding this thread.
I am a Sanitary Engineer trying to make it through a long transition at a new job and then the full time day care years.  The idea that I can retire ever is encouraging.
I am at the point where FIRE means Financial Independence Retire Ever.  But its a much better place than I was in before.
I have also learned about long term total stock market index fund investing from JLCollinsNH stock series and started reading Malkiel and Bogle, so I feel a little more in control of investments, as far as that goes.

Glad to be here.

EscapedApe

• Stubble
« Reply #4020 on: October 10, 2019, 11:18:37 AM »
Hi, my name is Grayson.

Early thirties, no kids, starting at absolute zero NW, and aiming for FIRE by my early forties. Had a rough road up until now, but ready to buckle down and get it done.

snorr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4021 on: October 11, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »
Hello there!

Fresh meat from the Netherlands, was a long time lurker but have to motivate myself into action.

Living in Waterland, life is pretty comfortable, but compared to the US, it seems a lot harder to get poor or wealthy (FI) quickly over here. I've been saving 50%+ for the last couple of years, now 'need' to start investing, although the tax climate for that is horrendous.

On a more personal note, I want to work less, learn more, enjoy life beyond the 9-5 shackles my office job bestows on me.

Good luck with the journey everyone!

VancouverSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4022 on: October 11, 2019, 05:05:41 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm 38 and live in Vancouver, BC with my partner. No kids. We bought our condo a couple of years ago. I'm a self-employed copywriter (low paid), my partner works in movie visual effects (high paid). I'm new to Mustachian-ism. We're just looking to get out of this rat race and off this treadmill ASAP!
Have read through all the blogposts, but the forums might take a good while :)
Nice to meet you all!

johnwood543

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4023 on: October 14, 2019, 09:38:44 AM »
Hi I'm John, 31. Looking forward to interacting with you all.

BradHanks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Real Estate Broker
    • Brad Hanks
« Reply #4024 on: October 15, 2019, 09:17:10 PM »
Hi! I'm Brad Hanks. I'm a licensed real estate broker in Washington state and in Colorado. Just checking out the forum. Thanks!

Auburn73

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4025 on: October 16, 2019, 08:11:53 AM »
Hi, I'm Christina. Recently discovered MMM, and am very excited to learn about FIRE. I'm 46, married, with 3 children and one grandchild.

Looking forward to learning from your stories and ideas!

fuzzstache55

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4026 on: October 17, 2019, 11:49:36 AM »
Hi all!

New here to posting, lurking for a bit. 

Went through the challenge section and read every last MMM post and thought writing goals/thoughts would help progress.

Married to a non-MMMer and looking to work on that a little bit.  Definitely need to up my effort to lead not nag.

Recently Refi'd house (removed PMI is process), Car (DW) and used some stuff here to negotiate a 4.5k raise all in the last 60 days  (lowered payments $367 and raise net pay $380).  Feel like I'm going in the right direction, but it always takes time.  Sometimes I have to remind myself it's definitely not an overnight task.

Joined a NW group and hope to continue adding bigger numbers to that list. 

Anoushka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4027 on: October 20, 2019, 09:16:40 PM »
Hi, I'm a 41-year-old home schooling mom to three daughters. My husband is in an IT government job. He's 44. We are both fun people with lots of friends and like to host our friends and their kids and our kids' friends. Neither of us has historically been good with money, but we read a Dave Ramsey book a few years ago and got out of CC debt and paid off my student loans. He makes a pretty high salary in our low COL small city, so we've been kind of coasting since then and spending too much time patting ourselves on the back for getting out of debt. Now we're realizing that we need to do more if he ever wants to retire. We have Roth IRAs and he has a Roth 401k, and I think we're maxing out the 401k. We have about 215,000 in retirement savings, so we're looking to make changes in our lifestyle to save and invest more.

jeffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • count down to 2022
« Reply #4028 on: October 26, 2019, 11:21:24 PM »
Hey! I’m new to this forum, but also from Vancouver. Good to see that there is at least one other person in Vancouver pursuing fire ;) I don’t think there are many of us.

mikedenver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4029 on: October 28, 2019, 06:00:19 AM »
Hello everyone!

I've been devouring content on FIRE for the last month or so and am really excited to be making progress. My wife and I are 33 and hope to retire by the time we are 40. No kids yet, but we want them to grow up with some cultural experiences abroad if we have them down the road.

Looking forward to getting to know you all a little better!

Michael

Brodysan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4030 on: October 29, 2019, 07:44:15 PM »
Hey all - I'm Brody.  38.  Kentucky.

After trying to find a retirement calculator that would actually believe that I was saving as much as I was... I somehow ended up here.

Wait.  There are other people who believe you can retire early if you don't spend every dollar you make?  Ya'll are crazy.  ;)

erniemcbirdie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4031 on: November 01, 2019, 08:54:18 AM »
Hello from Erin in South Dakota.  I've been reading here for a while and it is a wonderful feeling to read and be inspired by the many great posts in this community.  I'm late to the game at 49, but really interested in FI and molding my life to do work I am satisfied by.  Looking forward to lots more great ideas and tips from you all.  Would love to meet others in my geographic area.

Canadian FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Blogger and Podcaster
    • Canadian FIRE
« Reply #4032 on: November 02, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »
Hey everyone, my name is Ryan Myricks and I'm glad to be joining this group.

Found Mustachianism quite a while ago and didn't take it all that much seriously until my daughter came into the world. I suddenly realised how badly I wanted to stay-at-home and raise her. Like most people, I don't have enough money in the bank to make this possible, so I went back to work with a new resolve: to take Mustachianism much more seriously. I believe I owe it to myself and my child (or children.. eventually!) to reduce my expenses and adopt a much more modest lifestyle even though I had already achieved a 50% SR before my kid.

I've checked a few Mustachian boxes already - one small car as needed, no cable, haircuts via the UMGD, 300kwh hydro bill to name a few. I fail miserably at others: I don't own a bike, I drive 25km to and from work and I don't lift weights. By joining this community I'm hoping to work on my faults and provide advice to others (especially Canadians).

I'll take this time to plug my own content, I'm a blogger at Canadian FIRE and podcaster at Explore FI Canada (links are below). I've read the site rules so don't worry I won't be spamming my links everywhere, I'll use my freebie on this thread to identify myself as a content creator and perhaps post some of my links to others if I really think it will add value (retyping my blog posts as replies would be silly but I still want to be mindful of everybody's eyeballs and sanity).

Anyways, that's me. Feel free to say hi and I look forward to participating in this community. Hopefully I fit in around here!

My blog: www.canadianfire.ca
My podcast: www.exploreficanada.ca
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 09:20:16 PM by Canadian FIRE »

Baliuluci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4033 on: November 04, 2019, 03:46:28 AM »
Hi from New Your.
My name is Gabriel, I'm python developer.

suncloud

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4034 on: November 05, 2019, 08:15:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm from Spain, my English sucks. Sorry. :)

I am 40.5 years old. I will try to early retirement in 3.5 years (i.e., age of 45). I am married and a little girl of 2 years old.

Billy D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4035 on: November 05, 2019, 11:17:03 AM »
Hi I'm a mid-30's dude FIRE'd from an inheritance after a few deaths in the family.

I use to work as an instructor and web developer, but at this point it almost seems like a former life.

I spend my days as a frugal man of leisure reading in cafes and tending to basic household chores. I usually spend my evenings at various meetups. I also travel frequently between here and Mexico, where I keep an apartment and do pretty much the same thing.

My situation feels bizarre to say the least. It's a mostly satisfying though somewhat isolating lifestyle.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 11:20:06 AM by romasur »

tjelvar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Plan-G: Early retirement on Gotland
« Reply #4036 on: November 11, 2019, 02:04:26 PM »
Hi, I am a guy in my thirties with the plan to retire in Sweden. I have quite a few years left, but hey, planning is everything!

zachj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Honeymoon Vagabonds
« Reply #4037 on: November 13, 2019, 03:25:19 AM »
Hi Everyone! My name is Zach and I am 22 years old, my brother actually sent me a article from mrmoneymustache about a year ago and ever since then I have been reading all the posts trying to be more disciplined with my money. My wife and I are currently traveling through Europe and I have the ability to work from my computer. So I am always looking for way to have more financial freedom I look forward from learning from everybody and participating in the forum.

Soufiane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4038 on: November 13, 2019, 07:09:31 PM »
Hi I'm Soufiane
i want to be FIREd
estimated arrival time 2029
current savings 200k Let's goooooooo

AtlasNL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4039 on: November 14, 2019, 02:55:41 AM »
Hi All,

My name is Lennart, 34yrs old, married, 2 kids.
I've ran into MMM's blog a couple of weeks ago and am reading it all from the start. I'm currently somewhere in May 2012, so a lot of reading to be done yet.
I am from the Netherlands, which changes a lot of things in terms of FIRE. We have 1 car (brand new, received it last month), and I have a company car. The company car actually generates income (It's electric and I sell the electricity against a higher price than my costs). We have a relatively high income (5x average Dutch income), both have a pension fund in which my boss pays 4x as much as I do and my wife's employer pays here pension fund 50/50. Our take-home pay is much lower than in USA due to high taxes: my monthly income is 8.000 EUR, of which 4525 EUR is net income. My wife makes about 2800EUR a month, net 2073 EUR per month. Our savings rate is approx. 43%, which includes pension contributions of 1300 EUR per month. Under Dutch law, there is NO way to use this before age 67 - so I don't count it in the 'stash.
Home equity is about 90,000 EUR net (value of the house is 500k EUR, mortgage 410,000 @2.17% interest). Savings 27,000 EUR (excl. pension). 'Stash is growing with 23k EUR per year at the moment (excl. pension again) and without appreciation of the house.

We have student loans of in total 11,000 EUR which we are repaying as slowly as we legally can - the interest rate is 0.00%. Total net worth is 106k EUR - we used to spend way too much, slowly changing to "too much", changing rapidly now towards "not so much".

Shedir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4040 on: November 16, 2019, 11:17:53 AM »
H i guys !
Dayum, i've never seen question as hard as these to register to a forum ahah. I just known about his existence 30min ago, but i think i was pretty fast to find the answer.
I'm 20 years old and I define myself as a solution finder. I'm working on my FI since age 18 and invested in crypto currencies before the boom in august 2017, because i was so annoyed at my work ( it was my first job in a real enterprise ), every thing was too slow and i had a free time during my work time, so i was randomly checking internet, until i find Crypto currencies.

Anyway, i've been interested about money since then. And it was the first time i had a real world objective ( before it was only video games ).
I've eared Mr.Money Mustache is a highly respected blogger, so i'm super super happy to be part of this forum, as i'm highly ambitious, and always excited about meeting new people and hearing new ideas and ways of thinking. Moreover i've eared he is a bad ass guy ;), so i'm curious about his way of living, as i'm in the processus to live a kind of badass too, always trying new experiences, and in the process to achieving social freedom as long as financial freedom.

So, to make it not too long, i'm so happy to be part of this, and hurry to share my unique view of life, as i've had the time to see, it's not only about money here right ?

See you on the forum !

Purplecow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4041 on: November 16, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
Hello everyone....

I stumbled upon this site while searching for some insight on some inheritance stuff.  The posts/questions/answers are very helpful.  I'm enjoying exploring the site.  I have been married for 30 years and have 1 adult son.  We own our home and pride ourselves on our lack of debt.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4042 on: November 17, 2019, 10:11:30 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm 29 and a lawyer in Vancouver, Canada. Single, no kids. I discovered MMM about six months ago. At the time, I already had a high savings rate but I was starting to notice some "lifestyle creep" happening as a result of mindless spending.

My background: I graduated from law school debt-free in 2015, thanks in part to cheap Canadian tuition (around $6,500 per year - yes, even for law school!), generous scholarships, and part-time/summer work. A big part of that is owed to my parents - not just their money, but also their example. They wouldn't call themselves Mustachians, but they emphasized frugality, focus and hard work, and FI'd (without the RE) long before this blog existed.

So I already had quite a few frugal traits when I found the blog: I don't own a car, or even ride the bus much; I live in a small apartment with below-average rent; and I cook regularly. Most of my mindless spending was on the small things that can add up fast: clothing, dining out, lunches at work. So I'm working on slaying the bad habits - I haven't bought any clothing in five months, and I bring my lunch to work 4 days a week.

I'm still searching for the right balance, but I'm back on track. Now my goal is to own a condo mortgage free by 35, and to FI by 38.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:05:39 AM by raincoast »

aloevera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4043 on: November 18, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
Hi,

Longtime freelancer, relatively recent empty nester looking at finances post-divorce and preparing for retirement (the actual one that often takes place in one's 60s). Spent 18 months as a digital nomad and may return to it in the next few months.

I have near zero debt but not a lot of savings either, got there during nomad time (lowered expenses house sitting and traveling in lower cost countries). Long time frugal spender, I'm that one who makes food ahead based o nsales, switches internet every year to keep the new-sub deal, etc.

I mess around with CC and bank bonuses and a little investing. I am early 50's, I hope it's not too late to apply the methods.

I'll stick around, enjoying some discussions so far.

midwestprof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4044 on: November 20, 2019, 02:06:32 PM »
Hi everyone, I wanted to introduce myself to the MMM Community after a few weeks of reading as many blog posts as possible. I am 32 years old and in my second year as a college professor. Already, I have been able to drastically cut my grocery bill (we never go to restaurants anyway), DIY some home repairs rather than outsource right away, and make some dents into what I now understand as a debt emergency.

I make around $60k pre-tax as a base salary. I also frequently visit other colleges and universities as a guest speaker and these are turning into well-paying gigs. I feel optimistic about this as a nice source of side income, and am in a position now where I can feel comfortable turning down what would have seemed to me even a two years ago as well paying gigs, to save my energy for ones that are even better paying.

Last summer, I bought a home because rents are so high in this town. I have a 15-year mortgage on it (13.5 years left unless I pay it off early) and around $45k in equity in the house.

I have around $14.5k in credit card debt: That's already about $3k less than it was a few days ago because a few checks I was waiting on came in the mail. And that's the plan: swiftly get out of the debt emergency, by directing all windfalls toward it (speaker fees, tax refunds, etc.).

I have an $8k balance on a car loan. The vehicle is a 2016 Subaru my parents sold me last year for 10k (blue book value was about 18k at the time). It gets good mileage. I drive to campus (2.5 miles one way) around 3 times a week. Housing near the college is very expensive (big fancy professor homes that are historic and expensive to upkeep)- I opted for a low maintenance ranch but it's further away. Am on the lookout for a used mountain bike.

As for retirement, currently I'm investing 15% of my salary, and only 5% of that is coming from me- the other 10% is from my employer. Right now it's going into a 2050 target fund, which is what I selected when I started this job last year.

Goals right now include: finish paying off the credit card debt to improve credit score, then refinance mortgage with higher credit score, to take advantage of current lower rates. Keep skilling up on small home projects to save money, improve energy efficiency and build sweat equity. Set up a home gym for strength training. Focus on my hobbies of writing and reading.

And to keep getting my partner on board. She is a freelancing artist/healer and she is working to get her online business up and going. She has a slowly growing number of paying clients and is able to work remotely. She is very domestically gifted and cooks a lot, is crafty with home repairs, etc. She does have a large amount of student loans. We are not officially married.

Longer term, I'd like to continue to decrease our cost of living, investing annual raises as opposed to increasing COL along with them. I also want to get into real estate locally with another property.

I was a big spender before this (Amazon etc.) and have settled in to the invigorating mindset shift from consumption to creation.

Well, I guess that's it for now. Looking forward to learning more from and about you all.

Kayla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4045 on: November 21, 2019, 06:30:23 PM »
Hi, I've just been lurking on the forum and reading blog posts. I feel like I'm a little late to the game, starting this in my forties, but better late than never. I've mostly been focused on paying off debts the past few years that my spouse and I have accumulated and never put much thought into finances or investing. I'm really happy to have discovered Mr. Money Mustache and am excited to put some of the principles that I learned here to use.

sabanist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4046 on: November 23, 2019, 05:15:02 PM »
First post here, learned about the blog on a podcast.  I am always looking at ways to save more, spend less, invest better.  I do ok.  41 years old, make a good living.  Got about 500k net worth, not counting the equity in my home.  Not really sure how much I have there. 

Max out 401k for me, IRA for me and IRA for wife. About to switch to a HDHP and HSA.  Not maxing her 401k yet but thinking about bumping that up too.   Got two kids who's colleges are paid for from 529's we bought into years ago. 

Currently moving IRA's to vanguard from betterment.  Got about another 70k with betterment in taxable accounts.  Considering the move.  Want to put all the taxable accounts in VTI.  But unsure of triggering capital gains. 

Interested in learning more about the tax strategies, and investment vehicles

Yohev

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4047 on: November 25, 2019, 04:20:37 AM »
Hi community, I'm Timothi.
I'm 20 and in uni and I've got some money saved up (around $2500) and I was thinking about investing some of my money somewhere. I don't know how to get started and have no clue on what to do and what is smart. I want to build up my money somehow. Anyone got any advice or useful info????

sabanist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4048 on: November 25, 2019, 07:13:49 AM »
Hi Timothi.  At your age I would think you still live with your parents.  If so, then take your 2500, leave 500 in your checking, then take the other 2k and open an account with a discount brokerage, or maybe betterment/wealthfront.  Something low cost.  Or you might be able to do it with your bank.  Bottom line is take your 2k and get it invested into something aggressive but diversified like the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index ETF.  VTI.  Betterment and wealthfront will invest you in accordance with your risk tolerance which should be very high at this point in your life.  The account you establish can be a Roth IRA,.  There is a diversity of opinion but most people will benefit most from a Roth IRA.  You put taxed earnings in the account and when you retire, those withdrawals will be tax free. 

Honestly, I don't think betterment or wealthfront are aggressive enough for some young investors.  Returns are lower than the S&P because of it. Still a good place to start though.

Not sure what you do or how much you earn, but once you have your account, put an automatic withdrawal from your checking account of about 20% of your net pay.    This is a good way to start, once you have some assets you can go from there. 

This is free advice so take it for what its worth. 

dcarroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4049 on: December 05, 2019, 07:05:45 PM »
Hi! I'm so thankful for the robust FIRE community online and decided to stop lurking 100% of the time. I'm excited to be about two-thirds of the way through our journey to FI. Each year for the last five years my husband and I have doubled our investments.

My weakness/passion is to slow travel (we traveled for one year in 2014 in US/Europe), and am looking forward to optimizing for that lifestyle in 2024 or 2025 when we'll hopefully be FIRE'd.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!