Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317783 times)

firestarter2018

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3950 on: June 16, 2019, 09:12:10 PM »
Been lurking on the forums for a few years now, so maybe it's time to introduce myself?  36, F, Pacific NW, married with two kids. Working on my 'stache with hopes of RE'ing in 5-10 years. YNAB 4EVA.

RainChild256

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3951 on: June 17, 2019, 12:59:20 PM »
Hi.

Varun here from India.

I haven't really gotten out from behind my mother's apron yet. I'm just about to start my coursework for my Bachelor's.

I found this place through Reddit's r/financialindependence.

Nice to meet you; please take care of me.

TarHeelinTX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3952 on: June 19, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »
Hi Everyone!

Im 32, M, and recently moved to Austin from North Carolina for a new job (thus the name). I started with Dave Ramsey and just got rid of all my debt and am now aiming higher for FIRE.  Joining the forum for some newbie investing advice and community in general.  We (my wife and I) don't lead a lavish lifestyle but there is room for optimization for sure!

ananddrox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3953 on: June 19, 2019, 03:35:23 PM »
Hi,

My name is Anand, newbie here, following MMM for sometime now.

Best blog post I have read - Getting rich: from zero to hero in one blog post

Want to know more about the mustachian way of life.

Crommm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3954 on: June 24, 2019, 04:58:48 PM »
Hi I'm Crommm and I live under a mountain and laugh at Subatai's four winds.

Age 44.  Former US military, DoD contractor, now state civil servant in one of the flyover states.  No debt other than mortgage, which is pretty high at $268k and $2130/mo.  Property taxes in this town are a bummer.  9 year old Ford F150 that I'm still not ready to trade in for a Prius (can you imagine Crommm driving around in a...Prius?).  I'll just have to start riding the (totally manly) bike to work.

Just getting around to opening up my Vanguard accounts and dropping my savings in there.  In the process of setting up regular paycheck transfers.  Also have a Thrift Savings Plan account and an IRA that I can't touch till retirement age.  Ditto the pension I invest in each month.  My goal is just to keep cutting costs and shoveling the savings into my Vanguard 60/40 spread.

Looking for a good side hustle that makes financial sense and isn't a lot of bullcrap minimum-wage gig-economy stuff.  I do cybersecurity for a living so could maybe consult on the side...

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3955 on: June 29, 2019, 07:22:00 AM »
Hey all! Copywriter age 24 here, married to a video editor/colorist age 27. Already posted a case study with our detailed situation, but wanted to do a formal introduction here as well :) Been casually browsing MMM for a few months now. We’re newly married and really want to go FIRE asap so we can parent our future kids well! It’s slow going right now but we’ve already made some great spending and living changes. Especially happy to chat with any other youngins or slightly lower earners—we gotta stick together 💪

Sonochoshi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3956 on: June 29, 2019, 07:42:38 PM »
Hi, I'm sitting at my computer at work right now, with a "Retirement  Countdown" clock displayed on my screen.  Right now it reads "5 days, 05 hours, 21 minutes" with a picture of a hammock on a tiny island with two palm trees.  So, I have 5 days left and I'm out of the working world!
My name is Shon, living in Seattle, but "living" to be outdoors and go backpacking.  In a few weeks I'll be hiking the Gallatin Crest Trail in Montana.  Life is grand.

LadyDarkKitten

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3957 on: June 29, 2019, 08:25:41 PM »
Hi I'm Amanda,

I have been following MMM off and on for the last couple of years with no way to act on it. My shit is complicated lol.

ico

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3958 on: July 02, 2019, 07:04:21 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new to this community, and wishing to join the FIRE'd someday. Currently I'm not able to see how it's possible for me, but I'm inspired by all the folks here.

I'm a 35 year old unmarried physician who just finished "training" (fellowship after residency) to become a pediatric oncologist. I graduated 2 days ago. I almost broke several times during training and realized along the way that all of the stress and pressure is not worth it, but am doing the same job for at least another year (but by a different name, "Instructorship" it's called, with a 40% increase in salary) for complicated reasons, while trying to work my way out of 6-figure student loan debt, and looking forward to a discharge from bankruptcy within a few months (long story). Would love to hear stories from former crash-and-burners for more inspiration!

DadzillaGorilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3959 on: July 02, 2019, 07:13:08 AM »
(posted on FIRE 2020 before introduction....apologies :) )

Hi All,

First post on webpage so here goes...

Not sure if I will RE in 2020, but sure am going to be financially independent. I am an accountant in Financial Services, but have also run small enterprises outside of work for many years. I am currently 35, and have intended to retire at 40 for most of my life, but am making moves to bring this forward should I wish.

I worked 60 hours in McDonalds while doing my university degree and have always been considerate with my money. I have never been a big spender (grew up on a council estate and got used to be thrifty due to a poor upbringing), and as such I save around 70% of my salary putting into Pension/Share ISA/Property/Crypto/Antiques/Art etc while still never thinking "I would like something" but can't have it.

Some of my biggest savings are not buying clothes from a retail store, but everything comes from second hand/vintage stores, as well as driving a 96 Volkswagen that I own and would not spend on a car due to loss of depreciation and Tax instantly.

Anyway, enough of an intro, here is to FI in 2020 and RE whenever my boss annoys me too much to continue :)

Any questions give me a shout :)

beksonfire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3960 on: July 03, 2019, 05:52:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, logging in from Adelaide South Australia. I'm fairly new to Mustachianism having only encountered it late last year but naturally frugal so this has been more about focusing on a tantalising goal for me. A fairly large mortgage (in my eyes) is pushing out my FIRE date for now so I'm getting creative with savings strategies to make the most of things.

Looking forward to interacting with you all on the forums!

sathera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Goal: 5000 usd emergency fund (I have 1800,-)
« Reply #3961 on: July 04, 2019, 03:30:16 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am Sathera, and I am new to FIRE. I have been going along for about 2 months now. I used to work in sales and got a bit burned out. So looking for an out I started studying economics. I have always been a spender at heart so the change is proving somewhat of a challenge for me.

However, I am slowly improving and stopped a few categories already. It has not been all bad spending as checking my 10 year income stream it has not been a high income. I have averaged out 320.000 NOK (32.000 USD) per year for the last 10 years. I am 30 years old so it was a bit higher the last 2 years.

My biggest spending outside of nessesities are eating out. By a solid margin. Other than that I actually don`t spend as much as I probably should on clothing and other stuff. (Mostly clothing.) I use a buss for transportation, and do not own a car.

So my monthly budget should look something like this. (In Norwegian kroners)

Rent:       5.000,-
Phone:       450,- (There us a interest free contract on a financed phone in there at 200,-)
Gym:       279,-
Food:       3.500,-
Entertainment: 1000,-
Other:       1000,-
Total:      11.229,-

Hoever, I have been way overspending on entertainment So my real spending is closer to 16.000,- per month. The two categories that kill my budget are eating out and food. I am a foodie and tend to buy some expensive ingredients from time to time. Nothing excessive like truffles. But a fine steak and the like.

As a way to combat my foodie eating out and overspending at home, I wanna try and do a 0 food waste month. Also I want to learn to prepare some cheaper foods that are still amazing. Therefore I have taker up a lot of Italian food lately. I also want to explore Indian and Asian foods more.
I am also currently a student and my total income fluctuates a bit but is averaged out 17.000,- (NOK) I am taking out a student loan, but in Norway where I live the government refunds 40% of it after a finished education. So it is actually a pretty good deal. I will finish in little over a year with 300.000,- in debt from my education. My hope is to have saved enough to be able to kill that loan in a year after finishing.
My goals:
1: Get an emergency fund of 50.000,-
2: Reach restaurant FI. (I made this term up, but it is where my investments can cover entertainment.)
3: Reach barista FI
4: FIRE!
I am hoping to get to all of them in 10 years, I think once I get to work I can leverage a greater income to save a lot more money. 

Anyways, I am looking forward to getting to know you all, and best wishes.

AnxietyFly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3962 on: July 07, 2019, 06:54:24 PM »
Hello, I'm new to this Fire strategy. Looking forward to this new forum. I am almost forty and started following this movement this year. I've been around the block using other strategies on finance.  I enjoy reading what other people are saying. 

I'm a big follower on boglehead and dave ramsey. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:01:01 PM by AnxietyFly »

nini01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3963 on: July 08, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »
Hello all,

I am nini. 30 years old. Married with one child. We have a car loan and besides the usual phone, cable, etc no other debt. We have been saving to buy a home.
We live in the bay area in CA so that has become a bit harder in the last few years, but we are still saving.

I have a very small 401k from old job and would like to start saving more for college, home, and retirement just not sure which steps to take first.

mtnmills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3964 on: July 10, 2019, 07:53:53 AM »
Hello,

My family and I are finally FI after 13 years of investing and living low.  We ended up renting out our house (which we built ourselves) and selling everything before setting off on an 8 year trip around the world.  Sounds expensive but it is much cheaper than staying home in the US.  We are able to rent apartments or houses for 1/3 the cost of the US.  Food is more like 1/5 of the cost.  Healthcare is good and ridiculously cheap.  We are meeting so many people who retired down in Mexico.  None of them even remotely consider going back. It is nothing like we were told in the US. You could live comfortably on Social Security as long as you avoid the tourist spots.  Our next step is selling the house and moving into different investments, releasing the final anchor.

freedomseeker254

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Danielle Lindblom
    • Life Coach for Adventurers and Freedom Seekers
« Reply #3965 on: July 15, 2019, 08:20:58 AM »
Hello!

Taking my life in a whole new direction with my FI goals. I grabbed the freedom part and left corporate america to pursue my small business. Unfortunately, the last two years of being full-time self-employed have come with a LOT of financial stress and going back to living paycheck to paycheck, despite conservative and organized accounting systems. Just not enough coming IN.

I jumped onto some calculators last night and OH BOY am I excited to ride this ride! I had been very sad about going back to a salaried position and losing my lifestyle of freedom and flexibility, but after seeing how close I potentially am with a high savings rate, I'm now excited (?) about going back. I'm viewing the job as a tool to get me to where I want to be. And that's a place with no money worry.

Then I can go back to doing work that I love and living a simple life, but without financial stress.

I currently have a net worth of 46k. I've been living on 2k/month and can potentially save even more. I'll be going to a job that pays 80k and does a 401k match. So the giant increase in available money to put away is very encouraging. I'll also keep my two businesses as side hustles and will conservatively bring in an additional 20k/year.

The questions I'm currently looking for answers to are around maxing out tax advantaged savings accounts. Doing research on the various FIRE blogs right now. I have a solo 401k that I just opened for my business.

Looking for camaraderie, understanding, community, and support from people who "get it."

Danielle
Minnesota
age 30

Impatient Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3966 on: July 17, 2019, 07:13:05 AM »
Howdy folks! Impatient Saver here. Late-30s. Married with 4 young-uns. Single income family. Currently executing the plan...the maths tell me I'll have waaay more than I need once I shed the golden handcuffs that keep all us mid-career feds in line, but man it's tough sticking it out sometimes.

Custom Concern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3967 on: July 18, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »
Hi everyone. Thought it would be fun to bury my first post in this Introduce Yourself thread.

Shout out to myself fifteen years older and FIREing. I'm so proud of you future Custom Concern!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:53:10 PM by Custom Concern »

Logans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3968 on: July 19, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am Logan, I retired in 2005 seven months before turning 30yo.  The same year I moved from California to Vancouver - Canada, a place I love.  In 2017 I inherited a house with a Ľ acre of land in Italy so I decided to move there and enjoy the big garden.

These days I am having fun learning how to grow my fruits and vegetables and preserving them. At the moment I am living off 1% of the income generated from my investments, which are mainly in real estates.  I am saving the remaining 3% to increase my real estate portfolio. I don’t own a car, the garden is cutting in half my grocery bill and it also provides the perfect daily workout. I like to create my own clothes so at the moment my expenses are really low.

Here where I live I don’t know anyone of my age who is retired so I was extremely happy to find a community of like-minded people.

If you have any questions on frugal healthy eating or life in Italy, send them my way I will be happy to answer.

Nice to meet you all!

- Logan

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3969 on: July 20, 2019, 11:09:38 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm 49 and my spouse 59, we will be retiring early 2020 or early 2021.  We have been debt free for some time now and own our home. We are presently soaking up as much knowledge from the FI community as possible in preparation for the transition.  We will likely kick-off retirement with a road trip across America and then figure out from there how we want to structure our lives.

B&M

JMarie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3970 on: July 20, 2019, 10:59:28 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm Jessie, my husband is Casey. I'm 25, he's 30. We live in Texas with our cat and our 3yo daughter.

We suck at finances and are trying to turn that around. We both made mistakes before and during our relationship, but don't have a ton of debt compared to others. Our credit could definitely be improved, and most of all, we need to stick to a budget that involves saving, and get out of the paycheck to paycheck cycle we're in due to poor planning.

I have recently jumped into a business idea I've had for a few years, after being a SAHM and realizing that doesn't work for me, in the spiritual counseling/holistic healing field.

My ultimate goal is to help my husband retire early (in the next 10 years if possible) because he has been amazing taking care of me in so many ways while I haven't been working, and he's much better at homemaking than I am. If he chooses not to, that's fine too, of course, but I'd like the option to be there because he deserves it, plus all the mental stress that is gone if you don't have to worry about money.

I look forward to learning more from this forum, and gaining (and hopefully giving!) inspiration along the way!

Riikka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3971 on: July 21, 2019, 02:58:53 AM »
Dear Moustachians,

After reading the blog and peeking at the forum for years, I finally took the step to register.

I aim to live frugally not only to gain financial independence but also to share the limited resources of our only livable planet the best way possible, avoiding unnecessary consumption. I live in Finland where I've been provided with Master's level education without ending up in huge debts (except the ecological we all share), work remotely most of the time, own a house with a mortgage with a current <1% interest rate, don't own a car, etc. It seems that without FI specifically as a goal, the money-conscious lifestyle is little-by-little "buying" me more and more freedom to pursue things that are meaningful without needing to just "have a job". Well, even currently I feel blessed working in a position where I can contribute to something that I find meaningful.

Thank you for everyone keeping the community so alive!

universick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3972 on: July 22, 2019, 04:08:26 PM »
I'm excited to formally join the community here after lurking on and off for about a year. I've learned a lot about personal finance, and am still figuring out what my priorities are. MMM provides some regular much-needed perspective in my life.

I come from YNAB, if you've never tried it, it's excellent.

I look forward to a future where regularly discussing personal finance with friends and family is completely normal and expected!

januarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3973 on: July 22, 2019, 08:22:06 PM »
Hi everyone!

I am excited to start participating in this community! I'm generally a lurker, but I've become so determined and excited about the concept of financial independence that I can't sit on the sidelines any longer :)

I'm a pretty high earner (~$150k/yr) in a super demanding field (I'm an aerospace engineer) and while I haven't made any egregious financial mistakes, I'm also definitely not where I could be with this salary and that makes me feel frustrated at my younger self (I'm sure many people here can relate to that sentiment). I'm looking forward to finding some new accountability partners on the journey to break free of the cycle of consumerism!

CastaMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3974 on: July 25, 2019, 08:47:19 AM »
Hello,glad to be a part of this community

JessVibes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3975 on: July 26, 2019, 07:27:58 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm Jess, I live in NJ and I work in an office in Philly and would like to get out of debt and be FI. I love the Grateful Dead and DMB and would love to one day visit every state!

I currently use YNAB and I'm learning my MMM style after being introduced to the site about a week ago.

I hope to get some guidance and hopefully one day be in a position to help others!

Cheers!

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #3976 on: July 26, 2019, 11:27:00 AM »
Hi,

I have been a member here for a while but i dont think i ever posted here. I am a musician and work in an office and am hoping to retire early and focus more on music.
34M colorado

dotsolomon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Progress over Perfection
« Reply #3977 on: July 27, 2019, 12:26:23 PM »
Hi Everyone,
My name is Solomon, 24 starting out on a software engineering career. since coming across the FIRE movement on reddit i have been greatly motivated and i hope to fire in 15 to 20years. I'm happy to connect and interact with as many already gone FIREd or about to. thanks guys

BenSherman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3978 on: July 30, 2019, 05:38:15 AM »
Hi everyone,

26-year-old software engineer here. Recently relocated to Boulder, Colorado from metro-Detroit, Michigan, and am in a whole heap of debt from living a typical ultra-consumer lifestyle. I've been reading MMM for 6 months or so, and am totally inspired to stop buying stuff and start buying our freedom. Bonus: I've got my girlfriend excited about early retirement as well!

Poiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3979 on: July 31, 2019, 02:18:29 PM »
Hi

My name is Antoine and I've just joined the forum although I've followed the blog for a little while now.
I'm looking to drastically increase my % of savings in the coming months and looking to this forum for guidance.

I'm 33 and currently living in LA, although that could change soon.

Cheers

firebrand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3980 on: August 01, 2019, 06:20:40 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I've been learning so much from all the time I've spent reading topics of interest in this forum. At 59 I'm a little outside the age range of what most of you would consider early for retirement, but I'm happy to be where I am today. My plan is to take terminal leave sometime in December 2020 with my last official day as Dec 31st. If I get anxious then I might take my leave as a celebration of my 60th birthday in the spring of 2020.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:22:26 AM by firebrand »

cloudgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3981 on: August 01, 2019, 09:01:08 PM »
Hello!
I'm CloudGirl. I'm almost 28 and am a new comer to this blog, but have obsessively read 70% of all the posts in less than a week. I appreciate all the advice and insight I've gained from MMM and the mustachian lifestyle. I have zero debt and have needed a wake up call on what to do with my savings and mutual funds that total to $31k. Thankful for all that I've learnt and continue to learn from this community!

Cheers!

brunetteUK

• Stubble
« Reply #3982 on: August 02, 2019, 06:35:28 AM »
Hello everyone!

I've been a member for years and even started a journal but never really introduced myself.

I live in London, UK and I'm 30 years old. I work in finance, live with my lovely flatmate and have close family living in 2 other continents.

Money wise all is good, trying to get the right balance between money and value, and also, defining my priorities so the money works to support that.

monkeykoder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3983 on: August 02, 2019, 02:55:33 PM »
Hello.  Currently 33 and $17000 in credit card debt.  Finally realized the exponentially increasing emergency I've been in for the last 10 years. 

mowine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3984 on: August 02, 2019, 06:46:49 PM »
Hi All,
I'm Sam and just retired this May. Last job was at a biotech firm, working as a research scientist. My handle refers to my old habit of collecting wine. I visit every so often when I have a question re medical/vision care and the like and to read the fun posts when someone FIREs or needs a facepunch :)

JohnSmithK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • An stock market investor
    • Kalkine Media - Stock Market News
« Reply #3985 on: August 08, 2019, 04:51:25 AM »
Hi
I am John from Australia.
I am 31 years old and currently working as a stock market researcher and analyst. I have been into this field from the past 8 years as stock markets and its numbers attracted me. I am an investor too investing in various sectors of the stock market such as Lithium stocks, best asx penny stocks, asx gold stocks, asx tech stocks, etc.

I would love to help someone if they need any assistance on the same.

toubabserer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3986 on: August 08, 2019, 03:36:18 PM »
Hi everyone.

New to this amazing world I just discovered :)

Investment Viking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3987 on: August 09, 2019, 09:04:17 AM »
Hi!

I am a 29 year old viking from a small european country called Estonia. Working in the software development field and starting to think about FI more and more as i go forwarded.

As a single guy i have managed to live very frugally until now and am looking for ways to accelarate my road to FI and maybe eventually will add RE to it. The only debt i have ever had besides mortgage was a 2000€ student loan that i paid back years ago. After that i started raising money for an apartment.. Now i am in a position where i am looking for some wisdom from other people who are either in pursuit of FI or already FIREd up.

sayonara

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3988 on: August 09, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
Hello Hello - Simon here, 28yo a longtime MMM reader in Los Angeles, just joining the party to say hello and connect with my fellow Mustachians. Am working on perfecting the mustachian lifestyle in LA - a sometimes vast and inhospitable place for special creatures like us - and am just a couple years out from FI from my time spent in real estate. Looking forward to connecting!

tensixmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3989 on: August 11, 2019, 05:38:53 PM »
Hi- I found this site a couple weeks ago and find it fascinating.  I am too hold to RE but FI would be great so I look forward to reading along and getting advice!

Knightmagic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3990 on: August 12, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »
hey everyone I'm Travis Knight and i'm new to the Mustachian lifestyle and FI movement. I just finished reading through every article! Took me longer than most of you amazing people I'm sure (around 6 months). I've purchased a dolomite fat tire bike and a cruiser style trike for my wife. We love to take them to our local grocery store and I ride them to my gym. I've been trying to figure out a way to add a home gym to my apartment.  My wife isn't fully on board with this new lifestyle but she's starting to see the perks, our lower debt and a steady bank account balance that isn't usually empty. Bills are paid and life is better! We have a long way to go (i'm 34 and she's 29). We have a goal to be retired by the time I am 50. We have so far paid off our $7,000 in credit card debt and are now working on how to get out of our terrible auto-loan. Have a great day everyone!

seeyalater

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3991 on: August 12, 2019, 02:56:10 PM »
Hi. I'm Seeylater.

I just discovered this awesome website and plan on starting each morning reading a few articles.

Wistea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3992 on: August 14, 2019, 05:11:33 AM »
Hi community, my name is Holand, I live in Clifton, NJ.
I enjoy riding and swimming

Brianmcg321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3993 on: August 17, 2019, 03:13:59 PM »
Hello.

46 years old. My wife and I have been debt free for over ten years and have been saving 20% of our income. I have decided that isn't enough, and have been contemplating early retirement, so I came across MMM somehow through some internet searches or YouTube videos.

We are now devising a plan of saving 40% for the next ten years. At that time our house will be paid off (we are doubling payments), and we will have enough saved in a gap fund to get us to 60 when we can access our retirement accounts.

Thanks

Islander973

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3994 on: August 19, 2019, 03:22:28 AM »
Hello everyone!

It's a great pleasure to see all you great souls in one place!  My name is Adam and I live and work in a tiny desert island in the Middle East.

Im 38 years old, married, with a beautiful 1 year old daughter. I aim to retire by 45 and quit as soon as possible. I work as a Startup Counselor and Marketing Expert for an IGO (employed). I previously ran my own business, and dabbled in writing (published writer).  Most of the Middle East is tax free (indirect taxes and VAT - thats it) so I am completely illiterate and lost when I read about financial planning here!

I spend my time reading, hanging out with family, playing with my Jack Russell, and offroading in my jeep. I ride my Ducati during the winter. Yes, I have much to learn.

This is what I'm seeking: (in no specific order)

1. Less work, stress, and pain. More priority to family, travel, reading, being. I suffer from long term depression, anxiety, and chronic migraines. I also had 2 bouts with skin cancer. It changes you. May God keep you all safe!

2. Inner reconciliation between my spirituality and wage/money/materialism slavery. Taking the time to address subjects of personal fulfillment, purpose, and explore methods of positive contribution to humanity.. and pursue them in a way that is productive and enjoyable. (Work in progress)

3. Methods of building financial autonomy. I accept advice and wire transfers.

4. Connect with nature and live a more meaningful, empathic, and responsible life. This part includes minimalism/frugality/eco-living/immigration.

5. A MENTOR. Someone (online) who can offer direction, inspiration, or anything at all that would help. It's a tiny island.

Quick questions!
- Is there somewhere (or someone) on this forum who I can present my case to? Financial, life direction, relocation? anything!
- Are there are any "group initiatives" that put us together and accommodate our similar goals? Partnerships, collaborations, residential solutions etc?

My best,
Adam
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:52:20 AM by Islander973 »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3995 on: August 19, 2019, 01:10:42 PM »
Quick questions!
- Is there somewhere (or someone) on this forum who I can present my case to? Financial, life direction, relocation? anything!
- Are there are any "group initiatives" that put us together and accommodate our similar goals? Partnerships, collaborations, residential solutions etc?

There is a forum for case studies where you can write up a post describing your situation in detail and ask for help: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/

The "Throw Down the Gauntlet" section (here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/ ) is where people try to achieve goals in groups, e.g. saving a certain sum of money or exercising every day or not using a car. Not sure if that fits what you're looking for in your second question or if you were looking for something more concrete.

ecchastang

• Stubble
« Reply #3996 on: August 20, 2019, 11:15:37 AM »
Hello from right in Mr. Money Mustache's backyard, Longmont CO.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3997 on: August 21, 2019, 01:06:36 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am Sathera, and I am new to FIRE. I have been going along for about 2 months now. I used to work in sales and got a bit burned out. So looking for an out I started studying economics. I have always been a spender at heart so the change is proving somewhat of a challenge for me.

However, I am slowly improving and stopped a few categories already. It has not been all bad spending as checking my 10 year income stream it has not been a high income. I have averaged out 320.000 NOK (32.000 USD) per year for the last 10 years. I am 30 years old so it was a bit higher the last 2 years.

My biggest spending outside of nessesities are eating out. By a solid margin. Other than that I actually don`t spend as much as I probably should on clothing and other stuff. (Mostly clothing.) I use a buss for transportation, and do not own a car.

So my monthly budget should look something like this. (In Norwegian kroners)

Rent:       5.000,-
Phone:       450,- (There us a interest free contract on a financed phone in there at 200,-)
Gym:       279,-
Food:       3.500,-
Entertainment: 1000,-
Other:       1000,-
Total:      11.229,-

Hoever, I have been way overspending on entertainment So my real spending is closer to 16.000,- per month. The two categories that kill my budget are eating out and food. I am a foodie and tend to buy some expensive ingredients from time to time. Nothing excessive like truffles. But a fine steak and the like.

As a way to combat my foodie eating out and overspending at home, I wanna try and do a 0 food waste month. Also I want to learn to prepare some cheaper foods that are still amazing. Therefore I have taker up a lot of Italian food lately. I also want to explore Indian and Asian foods more.
I am also currently a student and my total income fluctuates a bit but is averaged out 17.000,- (NOK) I am taking out a student loan, but in Norway where I live the government refunds 40% of it after a finished education. So it is actually a pretty good deal. I will finish in little over a year with 300.000,- in debt from my education. My hope is to have saved enough to be able to kill that loan in a year after finishing.
My goals:
1: Get an emergency fund of 50.000,-
2: Reach restaurant FI. (I made this term up, but it is where my investments can cover entertainment.)
3: Reach barista FI
4: FIRE!
I am hoping to get to all of them in 10 years, I think once I get to work I can leverage a greater income to save a lot more money. 

Anyways, I am looking forward to getting to know you all, and best wishes.
I see a birthday cake today! Happy birthday, @sathera

Indulgency

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3998 on: August 28, 2019, 11:08:31 PM »
Hi I'm Mark, a late 20 something guy living in the tri state area. While still relatively a newbie to my career in the financial industry, I've seen enough to know that the 'corporate-forever' lifestyle isn't for me. Having discovered MMM and the concept of FI about a year ago, I'm taking the necessary steps to secure a stable future and FI, devoid of compulsory 'busy' work and pointless meetings (I hate meetings). I'm here to learn and maybe even nudge a friend or two to this lifestyle.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #3999 on: August 30, 2019, 02:59:23 PM »
Hi I'm Pat, from Vermont.  I'm new.