Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3318033 times)

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3750 on: August 30, 2018, 10:54:45 PM »
Welcome, Fiserkre! I know several people to whom your description
I don’t own a lot of expensive stuff (i.e. luxury cars, high end furniture, jewelry etc.), rather I just own a lot of stuff. 
applies. All mostly sensible people, just a slight hamster-like tendency of hoarding :) MMM recommends "storage in the cloud" for stuff, i.e. sell unused items on Craigslist or the local equivalent and buy from same if need the items in the future.

Thisironiclife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3751 on: August 31, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »
Hi I'm Tobey. Small biz owner and a reader for about 5 years. I've been saving like crazy and now's the time to start real estate investment steps. I am TERRIFIED (and excited). Excitified?

I am really looking forward to more actively using the forum, all my friends and my BF think I'm crazy with my frugality and constant real estate research.

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3752 on: September 01, 2018, 05:46:11 PM »
Hi there!  I have been reading MMM, MMM forum and many other FIRE blogs for a few years now.  As time gets close to my FIRE date (end of 2018!), I am joining the discussion instead of hanging out as a guest. 

Looking forward to being a part of the group.
PowerStache

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3753 on: September 02, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »
hey,

I'm a 37yo male living in the western US, but originally from Europe. My wife is turning 60 this fall and has been retired (on a gov pension) for 15 years, she was in a bad marriage for many years so she mostly does her own thing as far as travel when I don't have the time off to join her. We talked about retirement and FIRE stuff today and her response was that she supports me as long as it does not impact her ability to live in the here and now. She has had skin cancer and a stroke since we met just over 10 years ago and isn't taking tomorrow for granted.

We are not living frugally by any stretch of the imagination but despite that I have made some decent headway towards early retirement in past years and will continue to do so. My response to her was that I expect the same respect from her as it relates to respecting my goals and she didn't oppose. All of that means that this FIRE approach is basically a solo effort for me. I am fortunate to make good money and have excellent benefits which help out with the staching.

Looking forward to learning loads about setting myself up for FIRE abroad, my current target age is probably 55 years old but through these forums I hope to shave a number of years off of that. Potential destinations for the RE is a lower cost country in Europe such as Portugal but I haven't spent too much time thinking about it to be honest.

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #3754 on: September 11, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »
Hi all! I've been a reading and enjoying MMM and the forum for awhile. Decided to finally join in for myself.

Mid-30's, married, CPA, no kids (undecided about kids) living in the upper Midwest. I learned good money habits from my family, and I've always been a saver.

DH is the youngest of 5 kids in a family that had a massive increase in wealth during his formative years. Fortunately, I got to him while he was young, and he went from slightly impulsive spender to a saver the sometimes needs a reminder to live a little. ;)

I started to reading MMM in an attempt to figure out "what comes next" in my relationship with money. Now I'm trying to balance my lofty FIRE aspirations with DH's puritanical work ethic.

brian.ellwood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • BrianEllwood.net
« Reply #3755 on: September 13, 2018, 10:47:09 AM »
What's up everyone?

My name is Brian Ellwood. I'm a real estate investor and a coach.

I teach others how to create freedom through passive income, through purchasing rental properties.

I'm excited to be a part of this community. I was turned onto it by a friend.

Looking forward to helping everyone out and learning from you as well.

lollipop_hurricane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3756 on: September 13, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm in my mid40s and we just bought a house in a really rural area.  We had a large down payment, and I signed us up for a 15 year mortgage.  I feel really poor now, cause I put all our money into that down payment.  I hate that feeling.  I can't wait to build up more savings again.

I'm used to living frugally, but since I've been married(12years)  some of my habits have gotten rusty.  I look forward to learning and sharing tips on this forum.

Kahooli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3757 on: September 13, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »
First post.
Man the anti-spam on this forum is stronk :D
----------------
Hi I'm Kahooli. I'm 30 years old, I have a bachelors of science in electron management, I live in the midwest.
I have made quite a few anti-mustachian mistakes in my life that I have been working to correct.
  • I bought a new car right out of school (I still have it)
  • I bought a house that was far bigger than I needed two years ago.
  • I acquired expensive hobbies like woodworking and speaker building
  • I have been addicted to video games since I was about 17. (I do mean addiction: when you struggle to stop that is what it is)
  • I eat out way too much.
But then again I have done some good things. I paid off that car loan in a couple years, my student loans in a few, and until I bought my house always lived with room mates.
I have always been a saver/investor so I do have a reasonable 2x my current salary saved between retirement accounts, HSA, and cash. Not a mustachian figure by any means, but I haven't been living the mustachian way either. I still have ~75% of my mortgage to pay but I have no intention of staying here. In the past two years my LTR imploded, my good friends moved away, and my job started sucking a bit. I have calculated that my best option is to finish the renovations the place needs and sell next spring. So that's the plan!

For my next six months I have these minimum daily personal goals:
  • Spend an hour learning and practicing my Norwegian.
  • Cook every meal, and pack lunch for work
  • Get up an hour earlier and do some sprinting/weight lifting before work
  • Sleep a minimum of 7 hours

My short term goals are:
  • Get all the junk I don't need on ebay/craigslist/freecycle etc
  • Get the stuff I really want to keep hauled up to my parent's farm. It's free storage :p
  • Empty my house of anything not essential to daily living so I can finish the work that needs done
Once I get that far I can start knocking out the intermediate goals of house reno.

Stuff:
I  have a pretty large collection of expensive tools and test equipment. I have a problem letting people send things to the dump.  I'm pretty sure if it came down to it I could get a license to be a steam fitter in my city and do residential steam as a retirement gig (I have had to do a lot of repairs and remediation to the steam heating system in my home).
But yeah, all my stuff is just a liability at this point. I have so much hobby shit. Much of it I bought and have never used. I'm sure I can resell most of it but I'll lucky to get 30% aggregate capital recovery. I have a motorcycle I don't ride anymore (mice ate the wiring harness and I just gave up on it mentally). I have all the shit that goes with owning a motorcycle.

Current savings rate:
I will save the maximum in my 401k this year! it's a first for me. 2018
I will save the yearly max in a roth IRA ( I have always done this) 2018
I have a HDHP again this coming year, so I should be on track for putting the max into the HSA as well (2019).
But I have not calculated the total rate directly. Rough figures are around 30% of gross income.
I could probably use a bigger emergency fund. I have built myself a treasury bill ladder that would last me a year of basic living expenses (ex-mortgage, I'm assuming to shed that soon)

I fully expect all financial markets to collapse soon. I'm excited to be able to dump a tonne of money into a bear market over the next five years. I have zero concerns over employment security. Right now my only worry is getting rid of my house. It causes me stress daily.

In general I think I'll be able to "retire" at 40 and start doing whatever. The numbers work in my favor as long as I stick to my long term plans. It could be sooner if I do a better job controlling my human impulses. Could be later. But I know it wont be 62, 67, 70. The idea of it makes my stomach turn.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:27:06 PM by Kahooli »

Riverglade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3758 on: September 15, 2018, 05:47:17 AM »
Hi,

Riverglade from Australia here. Have enjoyed the blog the last few months and now reading my way through the forum threads. Married with two young children, and working part-time. Although relatively frugal, MMM has completely changed my mind-set about lifestyle and money! Can't wait to continue learning with you all.

Money Beets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3759 on: September 16, 2018, 11:30:58 AM »
Hello!  I'm a 32 year old from rural Ohio.  I started reading the blog about 3 months ago and already feel way more optimistic about reaching financial independence.  I recently left my miserable law job for the public sector and, while I am much happier now, I want the freedom to walk away whenever I choose.  I am fortunate to have a spouse who is not a spender and is willing to go along with my experiments in frugality.  We have a 20 year mortgage with about $139,000 on it at 3.25% and a student loan debt emergency of $45,000.  I am looking forward to learning more from the group!

WHY_FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3760 on: September 17, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »
Hey everyone! Glad to see all these fresh faces going for a more free life.

I've been lurking for so long I feel like I already know people here, finally got the motivation to say hi!

Kaibutsu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3761 on: September 19, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »
Hi All,

I am so glad I found this site.  I just joined up next week.  This is exactly what I needed.  I actually laughed out loud at the coincidence of this, because this is exactly what pushed me over the edge and decided I needed to be debt-free.

"So how does the Mr. Money Mustache target audience differ from that of Mr. Ramsey? I’m crediting Junior Mustaches as being a bit more adult than the folks needing the “baby steps” in his plan. You don’t need be slapped around to get your first $1000 available for tiny emergencies like a water heater replacement."

I'm still in process of catching up from my water heater replacement about two months ago.  I make enough money that I shouldn't be struggling every month to pay my bills, and I'm tired of struggling when we shouldn't be struggling.  We almost enrolled for the FPU class near us, but it seems like a pretty long, drawn out process for something that should be fairly simple, and I'm not particularly on board with it being so religion-based.  Whatever, I guess, it's just not my thing.  Our biggest issue was not paying attention to where our money was going...for years and years...and having the old adage of too much month at the end of our money being true every time payday was just around the corner.

I'm also in process of doing some "minimalizing" as well just to simplify things a little more, and help pay off some of our debt.  Craigslist has been pretty helpful in that respect.

I feel like my biggest barrier to becoming debt free is making sure my spouse is on-board.  If anyone has any suggestions for that, I'd love to hear them.  I just want the peace and freedom of knowing we're mostly or completely debt free.  They often feel like we're "too old to not get some of the things in life" that they feel they deserve.  The funny thing is, I've been doing things to curb our debt for years now.  Bought a used truck that wasn't some crazy car payment every month, I never buy lunches at work, and do all the work on our house, other than the aforementioned water heater.  Screw plumbing, at least that kind of plumbing!  Anyway I would love to hear suggestions about getting spouses on board with getting on track.

I honestly don't care about retiring early.  I really love what I do so I don't want to ever stop doing that, at least right now.  It would be nice to know that I have the option to retire if I ever change my mind.

Again, so grateful I found this site.  It's exactly what I needed, a community of like-minded people.

FIREball567

• Stubble
« Reply #3762 on: September 20, 2018, 09:21:00 PM »
Hi! I'm a teacher in my early 30's, married, and recently started learning about investing. I've been learning a lot and can't wait to learn from everyone on this forum. I stumbled upon this site by searching up bank bonuses.

arivera3483

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3763 on: September 21, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »
Hi all! Really just started the journey to true FI, just late to the game at 35. Still building net worth, but am down to only having 4 debt emergencies: 2 credit cards (20% utilized beyond normal monthly charges to get points, one for my wife and one for me) my student/graduate loans, my wife's graduate loans, and our house. Was able to pay off the last car, a private loan, and 2 credit cards off earlier this year, one of which I never plan to use. The good thing is I have had a lot of employers with fantastic 401(k) matching which I've managed to max every time.

My goal is FI and more time at home to make the side hustle I have more full time, and/or pick-up a trade as a side. Can't wait to get there and learn from those who've gone before me.

super hans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3764 on: September 22, 2018, 04:40:18 PM »
Oi oi! I'm super hans. I teach Portuguese in a DLI (Dual Language Immersion) Elementary School and I've the goal to find people that think like me.
I hate to spend money and my biggest dream is to retire in the next 8 years.

Skyhigh

• Bristles
« Reply #3765 on: September 26, 2018, 09:47:59 PM »
Hi everyone ! I was able to achieve financial independence in my 20's but found it boring and unadventurious. I threw myself back into the rat race and ended up expanding my lifestyle considerably through marriage, children and a disastrous career. As a result, my minimalist life was completely blown up.

The urgent need to earn pushed me into business for myself and am back on track. Building a business has not been fun but I am glad I did it. My large family will ensure that I will never be able to be a minimalist again however I am very interested in financial independence. I could close up shop, sell off the assets and retire but I don't think I would like that very much. I spend many years sleeping in, travel, skiing midweek, and killing days at the library and it did not make me happy.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:53:54 PM by Skyhigh »

Cool Hwhip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3766 on: October 01, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »
Hello Mustachians!
I am a little late to the party but have been lurking here and in the community for about a year and a half. I learned of the community when I read this article in Crains Chicago Business. https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20170223/ISSUE03/170229947/joining-the-fire-financially-independent-retiring-early
I immediately went to the Mr. Money Mustache Blog and started reading. The FI snowball started to roll. Now I am a regular reader of many FI blogs and listen to several FI podcasts. Can't wait to see the documentary that is coming soon.
Have made quite a few adjustments and improvements to my FI plan because of the great information shared in this community. I hope to continue to learn and maybe contribute in a small way in the future.

wild forest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3767 on: October 02, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
Hi,

I googled about "should I pay off my mortgage" and it led me here.

TeamCoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3768 on: October 05, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »
Hello!

My husband and I are not new to MMM, but we are new to actually following the frugal living idea.  Between MMM and Frugalwoods, we feel like we have finally found our place!

We currently live in Seattle with our three young kids and one dog, but will be moving to the Snoqualmie area in Spring of 2019 after we sell our home in the Ballard area.

We are really hoping to meet like-minded Mustachians and/or Frugalwoodians.  :D

Our family likes the outdoors.  And coffee.  And books.  And working out.  And food.  And definitely cheese.

winterberrybiscuits

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3769 on: October 09, 2018, 08:56:34 AM »
Hi! I stumbled upon this community a few weeks ago and it seems to fit fairly well with my values. I'm mid-thirties and am within months of paying off my student debt. I started paying attention to my finances just three years ago; and even though I feel a little late to the game, I'm really proud of the progress I've made.
Never in my life did I think I would be so excited to start saving money.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3770 on: October 09, 2018, 09:08:24 AM »
Hi! I stumbled upon this community a few weeks ago and it seems to fit fairly well with my values. I'm mid-thirties and am within months of paying off my student debt. I started paying attention to my finances just three years ago; and even though I feel a little late to the game, I'm really proud of the progress I've made.

Welcome!!  I didn't start paying attention to $$ things until my early FIFTIES, so good for you for starting 20 years earlier than I did!!  :)

Dusty Boots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If your boots are clean, you ain't been workin'.
« Reply #3771 on: October 10, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »

Welcome!!  I didn't start paying attention to $$ things until my early FIFTIES, so good for you for starting 20 years earlier than I did!!  :)

You aren't alone. I just discovered FI/RE in general and Mr. Money Mustache in particular a week ago at age 49. I wish I had discovered these concepts decades ago; I could be FI by now if I had, and would have avoided a lot of face-punchy decisions along the way.

My wife passed away in 2016 and it really hit me hard, for obvious reasons. But it was also a wake up call. Since I had to deal with cleaning up her half of our finances as well as handling her probate, medical bills, funeral expenses, etc, I started looking at the whole ball of wax (including my own stuff), and I didn't like what I saw. I wouldn't say I was drowning in debt compared to many people, but I was looking at a long road until retirement. So, for two years, I've been working on getting my affairs in order. All in all, I did pretty good for having to "reinvent the wheel".

Last week, a coworker pointed me to the FI/RE area on reddit, which lead me here. Since then, I binged my way through all the posts "since the beginning of time". (Okay, I may have skipped a few that didn't apply, such as the ones about raising mini-mustachians, since my only munchkin is with her ma.)

And here I am, tall in the saddle and ready to put my wranglers to work. (Mr. Money Mustache has "employees", Dusty Boots has "wranglers".)

Little Orange

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3772 on: October 10, 2018, 09:40:20 PM »
Hi Everyone
I'm Lucie, my husband and 2 daughters and I currently live in Indonesia.  I have no idea about any of this and am now using my housewife time to learn more.
I am not working at the moment so my husband is the sole earner.  We made a decision 6 years ago to join RL360 - and up until yesterday thought everything was ok...now we know differently and are looking for ways to fix this.
Looking forward to learning more and gaining more knowledge and expertise so that we can begin to pick ourselves up again and get back on track.

Lincolnshire Girl

• Stubble
« Reply #3773 on: October 11, 2018, 01:58:52 AM »
Hello all. I started reading MMM a few years ago but a change of career made me lose focus and now I need to get back into it again - so I'm taking it seriously this time!

Mum of 3 university students, wife of a hardworking cyclist and owner of an independent therapy business.

Matz_70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3774 on: October 14, 2018, 02:43:35 AM »
Hi, I'm Matz, born in the 70s with a wife and a cat. I wanted to retire at 30 but instead we traveled a lot, took time off and had fast cars. No regrets.
I'm from Germany, now in Brisbane. I've been charting our finances for 20 years but still not retired. Saving 66% and about 2 years worth in the bank.

kencarylscott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3775 on: October 16, 2018, 10:26:22 AM »
Hello everyone!  Been reading FIRE stuff for a while, trying to push our way there, looking to take it to another level and get some advice from the community.  Will be posting our numbers shortly.  Thanks!

Assetup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3776 on: October 17, 2018, 10:27:50 AM »
Finally decided to register an account after lurking for 2+ years.  I have learned a ton from this forum and really appreciate all of the people that take their time to explain everything!

My SO and I have been trying to make good financial choices while waiting to become DINKs(one of us was in grad school but we avoided student loans).  Starting next year we should start aggressively going after our goal of being FI in our mid 30s.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:37:01 PM by Assetup »

MichaelYMG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3777 on: October 24, 2018, 12:41:44 PM »
Hello

long time lurker, finally decided to join

I live our in the country in Northeast PA.

Looking forward to learning from everyone.

ps those capcha are a bear, I started to worry I was a robot ;)

Ulysses Everett McGill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3778 on: October 24, 2018, 01:03:03 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have just recently learned of the FIRE movement, but have been living for many years in pursuit of the goal of a mid-50's retirement.  I am 52 now and close to FI.  The main impediment is my business lease that runs until 4/2022.  I am operating with a goal of a complete wind down of business by 12/31/2021. 

I found this forum about 2 weeks ago.  I look forward to learning about, and eventually living, a FI life.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #3779 on: October 25, 2018, 09:32:33 AM »
Hello from the Canadian east coast!

Been lurking for a while and figured it was about time I registered.

adventurestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Adventure Field Guide
« Reply #3780 on: October 25, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »
Hello! I'm a long time reader of MMM and thought I'd join the forum to talk with other like-minded folks. I'd love to chat about travel, backpacking, biking, and practically any other outdoor adventures you do. I'd also love to learn from you all about your strategies for being frugal or even making additional income to speed up early retirement. I live in St. Paul, MN, if there happen to be any fellow twin cities lurkers here.

I'm all about learning and expanding my horizons, so I can't wait to start participating in the forums to do just that!

OldMother

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3781 on: October 26, 2018, 10:04:52 AM »
Hi,
I've been under a mountain of debt for quite some time.  I've made progress in some areas, like paying down my credit cards from over ~$15k at the end of 2016 to ~$2800  as of today.  I still need lots of help.  I feel like I need to adopt a MMM + minimalism lifestyle to find some sort of happiness. 

Time to get to work.

Tighterbelt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3782 on: October 28, 2018, 12:06:48 PM »
Hey everyone,

I found this site a few months ago and have found it really interesting and inspiring.  I'm 40, UK based and starting to think seriously about the next 15-20 years.   I don't yet know what my FI looks like but I'm working on it!

Thanks for all of the information shared so far.

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #3783 on: October 28, 2018, 07:20:51 PM »
Hello there,

I am a new reader. I am happy to say living frugally but still looking for ways to gain traction. I have 5year old and a live in boyfriend that are both non moustcians. I’m trying to get them on board.

The level of kindness and intelligence from this group is impressive and breath of fresh air. While I am years away from early retirement, I am looking forward to meeting all of you and continuing my journey.

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #3784 on: October 28, 2018, 07:22:07 PM »
Hello there,

I am a new reader. I am happy to say living frugally but still looking for ways to gain traction. I have 5year old and a live in boyfriend that are both non moustcians. I’m trying to get them on board.

The level of kindness and intelligence from this group is impressive and breath of fresh air. While I am years away from early retirement, I am looking forward to meeting all of you and continuing my journey.

iliketocode

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3785 on: November 04, 2018, 08:03:20 PM »
Hi there!

Found out about MMM on YouTube, was some news report.  I was instantly smitten with the lifestyle of having copious free time to do things other than sit behind the desk 8+ hours a day.  I'm not in a dire financial straight, but I'm sick and tired of my current working arrangement.  What I REALLY want to know is how to invest my current income and then have that generate a healthy return.

tate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3786 on: November 06, 2018, 07:29:22 AM »
Hello,
I have been wandering this site since March learning as I go along. Thanks to the site, this forum and some hard work, I am in the best financial shape I have ever been. I just saved up enough to convert my VTSMX over to VTSAX! At the beginning of the year I was saving about 8% of my paycheck and now I am pushing closer to 45%. I still have a lot of work to do and can see what changes I can do to continue to save even more. I want to thank everyone here for being awesome and helping me in this journey even though you didn't know you were!

Graveless

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3787 on: November 07, 2018, 08:10:43 AM »
Heya,

I've been reading the MMM blog for a few years now, but finally noticed that there's a forum as well. The advice about not expanding your lifestyle was incredibly valuable to me when I got my first real job and no longer needed to live paycheck-to-paycheck, saving $100 per month over my student loan payments. I'm currently saving 40%-60% of my take home depending on what needs replacement each month and am excited to get even more done.

sunbunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3788 on: November 07, 2018, 08:23:54 AM »
Bunny, married mom of 2 in Florida. Found this blog/site today through the Choose FI podcast....which I also found today...and fell in love. So, hi. *waves*

letsgetfired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3789 on: November 08, 2018, 09:45:09 AM »
This is my first post, though I've been lurking for a little bit after reading through much of the blog.  I'm eager to learn and discuss.  I'm very much looking forward to becoming part of this community.

MentallyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3790 on: November 08, 2018, 11:24:00 PM »
woohoo! Finally my screenname will make sense to someone. Been using it for years. :)

JenniiF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3791 on: November 13, 2018, 07:13:07 AM »
Oh hey! I'm Jennii.

We just bought a multi-unit house and we're hoping to be rid of our mortgage bill with a little bit of house hacking.

El_Mariachi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3792 on: November 13, 2018, 12:19:25 PM »
Newb here

I have been reading the blog on and off the last few years

But this year I really think my wife finally fully understood thinking of our money as a tool that we can use to make money

cwolff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3793 on: November 15, 2018, 02:21:55 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Cwolff here. I live and work in the Denver metro area with my wife, 14 month old baby Sam and we're due for baby #2 in March.

I'm doing what I can to save save save. The MMM ideas really help. For joining the forum today I celebrated by cutting cable. Next month, when my early termination fees end I will cut Verizon also. It's exciting and this will bring a total of 4k a year savings back to my family.

I look forward to reading all your posts and learning more from this community.

Jose B. McConnell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3794 on: November 15, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »
Hi,
        I'm a newbie to this forum.I'm from Toronto.

TheBuffalonian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3795 on: November 16, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »
Hello!

I'm new here... have been reading this blog these past few months... now I'm ready to dive into this thread and join the conversation.

KYFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3796 on: November 17, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »
Hello all.

I've probably ended up here like most other, after binge reading the entire blog posts from the start.

We're a couple in our mid 30s.  We've never been spend thrifts but we certainly have made some foolish financial decisions in the past.  Our focus has been on eliminating our debt and we are down to the mortgage, what's left of my student loans, and a 401k loan we used when we last moved.  Overall we are in good shape relative to the majority of the US; solid retirement accounts, growing investment accounts, and steady debt reduction.  My goal right now is retirement by 48 (financial independence before that) .  This is mostly due to a combination of recovering from years with a lack of dedication to Mustachism, a nice benefits package from the company I work for, and after finding out we are having twins!

Anyhow, I look forward to reading and hopefully contributing to these forums in the future.  I try to do almost all the work around my house so I hope to learn from others on how to continue to handle repairs/upgrades without hiring someone.  I'm handy with cars (one of my many anti-mustachian vices), so hopefully I can contribute with that as a contribution.

Glad to be here!

gardevoir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3797 on: November 18, 2018, 09:54:07 AM »
Randomly arrived via YouTube suggested video last week. How does it get even better than this?

I work with children in a primary school near London, England. My retirement plan involves moving to South East Asia which I may combine with my current job - potentially working in an international school. Fairly modest savings to date, but now I have a plan. Could potentially live of the interest of £120,000. So this is my current target.

Tranquil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3798 on: November 18, 2018, 12:25:53 PM »
Hi, Folks. I am mid-30s student/research assistant trying my best to live frugally and ethically with a wife and two kids. We have made it pretty far in terms of behaviors, but we are still working on the more unconventional strategies. I have been a long time lurker and finally have a reason to post, that reason is that I am collecting data for my dissertation about the psychological benefits of simplified lifestyles, and I figured what better place to start than this forum?! So, I will be posting that request elsewhere, and hope to get to know a few of you in the near future.

Best,
Jeremy

Sarebear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3799 on: November 19, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
Hi, I'm Sarah, stay home mum of two non-schooled kids, ready to Learn, learn, learn, thank you MMM & Mrs MMM!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!