Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317621 times)

canuckiwi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3600 on: February 27, 2018, 04:15:59 PM »
Hi,
I am a New Zealander now living in coastal BC. Recently laid off from a Mega corp job, but a Mustachian lifestyle means I can now spend some time mountain biking, renovating my house and hanging out with my children (while I decide what my next job/ training might be).
I have learned a lot from the forums over the years, and am looking to share any wisdom I might have gathered along the way.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:51:56 PM by canuckiwi »

Old Ball Coach

• Stubble
« Reply #3601 on: February 28, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »
Hello all!

I'm a 43 year old teacher in the Midwest. Wish I would have learned about the MMM life sooner!

My details:

Married wife is an LPN. 2 kids aged 14 and 12.

Income - $103k combined

Assets:
403(b) - $58k
Roth IRA - $750 - Just started last year.
Wife's 401(k)  - $110k
Stock Account - $1,600 - Just started last month.
Home Equity - $43k
I also have a defined benefit plan through the state which will give me 75% of my salary after age 66.

Liabilites:
Student Loan - $7200 - $80/mo
Credit Card (yuk) - $10,200 - $350/mo
Car Loan - $2,800 - $300/mo (Will actually get this paid off next month! :o) Then will hammer credit card.
Home Mortgage - $111k - $716/mo PITI

My plan is to destroy that credit card debt within the year. Then aggressively load up my stock account with a mix of stock and bond index fund at 80/20 ratio. I'm also going to have a new driver in about 14 months as well that will need a vehicle to drive. I'm already searching through used car lots looking for something good yet reasonably priced.

Hopefully I'm making good decisions.  I plan on learning as much as I can through this site!

51cent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3602 on: February 28, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
Hello To All!

I'm an early 40's Husband and Father to 4 in NE Georgia.
I've been on a path to "FIRE" for most of my life, I just didn't have a name for it.  Then I realized there were all of you folks out there about 2 years ago.

I'm mostly involved in real estate investing and am getting closer to my goal of a 3 day work week in the near future I hope!

Look forward to learning more on the forums & sharing what I can.

dabighen

• Stubble
« Reply #3603 on: March 01, 2018, 06:31:06 PM »
Hi All,

I'm Matt.  Live in NH.  33 years Old.  Wife and 4 kids. Facilities Planner and my wife is a teacher.

My family and I like finding creative ways to enjoy life without spending money.  Its a sport for me.  Combined income $120K.  Retirement 300K.  Owe $150 on the house.  $70K in taxable accounts.  $25K combined college savings.

Thanks,

Matt

Katie_Scarlett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3604 on: March 02, 2018, 01:17:23 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm in my early 30s living in South Korea but originally from the Philippines. I've always dreamed of financial independence but hasn't really taken any steps towards that until I had the opportunity to work overseas.

My goal is to be able to eventually diversify my investments overseas so as not be subject to my country's frankly fragile economic and political situation. I hope to pick up and share ideas with people with similar goals.

Rowing Investor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rowing Investor (blog)
« Reply #3605 on: March 02, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

I like to row and invest. One day I hope to be able to row full time (and no, the chance for becoming a professional rower was lost many years ago). Another - more realistic - goal is to become financially independent. Let's then see if I actually "retire" or continue working (potentially with something more rewarding from a non-financial sense).

I occasionally write a few lines on my blog (https://rowinginvestor.blogspot.com), on which I would like to increase the frequency of postings, without becoming too shallow.

I find this forum very interesting and useful. Thanks to all who take the time to share your wisdom.

Cheers.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3606 on: March 03, 2018, 12:36:28 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm in my early 30s living in South Korea but originally from the Philippines. I've always dreamed of financial independence but hasn't really taken any steps towards that until I had the opportunity to work overseas.

My goal is to be able to eventually diversify my investments overseas so as not be subject to my country's frankly fragile economic and political situation. I hope to pick up and share ideas with people with similar goals.

Welcome!

You should, if you haven't done so already, check out @Adventine 's journal and introduce yourself to her.  She's amazing!!  :)

TeacherStacking10s

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Teachers Stacking 10's
« Reply #3607 on: March 03, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
Hello!

About a 3-year reader, first-time forumer to MMM.

28 years old. Minnesotan Teacher.

Been socking away money for the last 3-4 years. Need to reduce some of my superfluous spending habits (I spend way too much money going to restaurants and drinking beer at breweries).

I have a pension through the state but "retiring" with full benefits is getting pushed farther and farther back. I believe now it's at 62. I would love to hit FIRE in my 40's and not have to work into my 60's to collect a full pension. Thanks to everyone posting their knowledge! Lots of great info on here.

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #3608 on: March 04, 2018, 08:35:48 AM »
Hi, I'm Liz. I live in Seattle with my mustachian husband. We've reached FI and are under 35 but have yet to fully RE - but we've got it pretty good by reducing our hours to 3 days per week after having our first kid. Our second is on the way soon. Slowly since kid #1 happened and I've had some extra time, I've caught up on the blog all the way to the present.

Husband is considering early retirement next year but I always struggle with "what will you do?" when he says he won't take on more household responsibilities or desire to care for our kids yet. He vaguely says maybe volunteering and I think he'll figure it out, but I find the whole "finding meaning in life" piece to be the most mystifying and challenging piece of taking the leap. I don't want to just fill my time with Netflix or even just reading if I take the leap - I want to be sure I'm going to make a difference in a way that feels good; better than what I could do with the $$ I'd earn from just continuing to work part time.

I love my extra time with my kiddo yet also don't want to take on 24/7 childcare since it can be really tiring and I lose my patience at times. I have very green aspirations and volunteer part of my extra time in several local groups. I think if I were to convince myself that if I quit completely I would find a way to do a startup or personal effort that would really make a difference, particularly for climate change/the environment, I would do it. I love my job but it doesn't exactly contribute to "making the world greener".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:20:56 PM by ecomom »

jsap819

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3609 on: March 07, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Joseph and I'm 35. My wife recently gave birth to a healthy baby boy who is going to be 6 months next week. Our goal is to reach FI as soon as possible although we don't really have a timetable. I'm a chiropractor who owns my own practice and my wife is a pharmacist. We plan to save/invest enough money in the near future so that my wife can work part time or maybe even a SAHM. The goal for me is to continue growing my practice and eventually work part time while I hire another doctor to watch over my practice.

Our hobbies include traveling, hiking, cooking, and baking. I love to play golf and play as often as I can but have been finding it extremely difficult to find time due to our baby. We live in a HCOL in Southern California but we love the location as it has one of the best school districts in the area, walking distances to parks and shopping malls, 10-20 minute drive from our work, and live close to friends and family. Unfortunately, our piti is 70% of our monthly expenses. Thankfully, with our dual income, we are still saving over 50% of our take home pay after maxing out retirement space (401k/roth).

Looking forward to sharing more information with the wonderful people of this board and also hope to be able to contribute. I'm glad I can share my journey with people who have the same mindset as we do when it comes to finance.

Thanks!

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #3610 on: March 09, 2018, 01:04:49 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

I live in Long Beach, California. I'm 38 single, no kids. My 12yo Honda died four weeks ago and I bought a Civic. My plan is to be FIRE before this Honda is 12.

I look forward to getting to know you all better.

another saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • www.thatfrugalpharmacist.com
    • ThatFrugalPharmacist
« Reply #3611 on: March 10, 2018, 08:05:43 PM »
Hello!

I've been lurking the blog for a long time, but want to finally get my feet wet CONVERSING with some like minded people.

I'm 31, pharmacist located in Oregon.  I am married and my husband is "retired" since moving to Oregon 5 years ago, now a stay at home dad.  I'm working two jobs, one per diem and one about 30 hours a week, actually averaging close to full time (it deludes me in to thinking I only work part time not being stuck at the same place all the time).  Luckily, my husband was a tradesman and can do almost all of the work ever required around here (he keeps busy).

We have no debts.  Bought our 20 acre property but putting more than half down, and paying off the rest in a little over a year (I would have bought cash, but we didn't know what kind of expenses we might run into).  We own more vehicles that moustache standards would allow, but, driving is a necessity living where we do and having to (currently) commute for work.

I've got about 180K in my 401ks from various jobs.  23k in a IRAs for me.
My husband has about 25k in 401k and 30k in IRA.  We have about 25k in our HSA account.

That brings us to about 283k... another 5-10k in stocks (it fluctuates, I don't check).  We carry about 10k in our checking account.  Additionally I've got, in various betterment accounts (thanks Mr. Money Moustache for introducing me!), 21k in an emergency fund, 26k front loaded into an accountant in my name for my child's eventual school or...??? and 74k in a "build wealth" taxable account.

To sum it up, we save real well.  I estimate we have about 400-420k just in "cash" savings of various kinds, not accounting for vehicles, property etc.

I'm not really finding my job fulfilling.  It makes pretty good money, but there's not really any possibility to do any more than I'm doing (or anything different in my field, unless we move, and we aren't doing that). 

We hope to homeschool and I would like to travel (assuming we can find an arrangement that works and someone we trust to keep an eye on animals and the home while were gone).

A guestimate on MMM calculators is that we're about 6 years from financial independence.  I lean towards worst case in my numbers, so that's probably closer to 5 years.

I don't think I plan to stop working entirely, as in my field you need to keep in the game to stay on top of things.  But I'm hoping I can average working a day a week or so... but I would REALLY like to find other ways to use my training and background to generate more interesting income.

So, Hello!

DesertRatNomad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3612 on: March 12, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »
Hi,

I’m Austin.  I started reading ERE years ago but it was a bit...extreme.  When Jacob ‘passed the torch’ to MMM I realized this was something I could really do and really wanted. That was about 6 years ago.  In that time I’ve gone from basically zero net worth (but no debt thankfully) to completing (with a partner) 2 house flips and working my way up to about 50% savings rate...and am planning to start my first house hack in the Fall. Reading the (entire) blog has changed my life.

I currently live and teach on the Mississippi coast but will be moving to Hattiesburg soon.  I occasionally work on cars or motorcycles, check my Vanguard balance way too often, spend a few weeks each summer living in my truck in National Parks, and recreationally pick up heavy things.

chenell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Hustle to Startup
« Reply #3613 on: March 13, 2018, 02:59:13 AM »
Hello - Chenell from Philadelphia here!.  I decided it was time to make an intro :)
Current situation:

- 30 y/o, single
- ~$100k business income; what I pay myself varies as I have to keep the business afloat - generally around 40% of income but working to increase that
- Assets: 401k at $62k, 1 Roth IRA $2k, cash & brokerage totaling $20k, don't own a car
- Liabilities: $30k in student loans ($200 / mo minimum, paying $550 currently)

Short term goal:  Build up savings and retirement while balancing growing a business.

Long term goals:  1) pay off student loans 2) Buy first home

I'm excited to jump in and learn even more from this community :)

brookebcollin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3614 on: March 14, 2018, 02:34:15 AM »
Hello guys,

I'm Collin, love to learn things and share useful information with people!

ChocoBilly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3615 on: March 14, 2018, 07:43:56 AM »
Hi, I'm new. I'm 32 years old and live in a third world country. I have a 2 year old daughter and decided I should not leave her broke with no headstart in life like me. I have started saving money since Last month and have saved 6000 USD. I have no debts except a mortgage which is for a place I have rented out. I hope to be as successful as my fellow mustachians in here and am excited to reach my goals despite being in a third world country. Anyone willing to mentor me is welcome.

Sent from my Infinix X559 using Tapatalk

LateStarter27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3616 on: March 14, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
My user name is a bit of a misnomer.  27 is not my age - 2027 is my expected retirement date.  And it won't be early either!  DH and I are just finishing putting 4 kids through school and we are trying to reset our finances for a comfortable retirement.  Reading this forum has given us the courage to say "no" - although I am still having a hard time saying that to my kids!  I certainly don't regret the money we have spent on our children, but now is the time for us to make wise financial decisions.  I am hoping that it is never too late!

savvylawdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3617 on: March 15, 2018, 02:22:30 PM »
Hello everyone!

As my username indicates a persona that I've adored for some time. I am 37 years young with a gorgeous young wife and no kids at the moment. Looking forward to go part-time or take a long sabbatical from my day gig within 10years. I was introduced to MMM on the podcast OLD (Optimum Living Daily) and wish this was around 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. However, I am excited to have found this forum and will continue learn badassity to its fullest.

savvyforester

poodlepam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3618 on: March 19, 2018, 06:32:13 PM »
Hello. I am a long-time lurker who adores the MMM way and this forum. My husband and I have the savings part pretty much figured out but do not know how to make money work for me/us. We both came from dysfunctional families. Mine had no money sense, his was only work oriented. I hope to figure out this investing business and make our savings grow.

tomdrake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • MapleMoney
« Reply #3619 on: March 19, 2018, 11:05:41 PM »
Hi everyone, I first read MMM back in 2012, when this post came out... it was a big topic at FinCon that year, which I think was the same year I met Pete.

I'm a Canadian personal finance blogger that runs MapleMoney, Retire Happy, and Financial Highway (that one's US-focused).

Looking forward to chatting more on here and helping out where I can with any Canadian questions. If I don't see something here, feel free to reach out to me on Twitter at @TomDrakeCanada or @MapleMoneycom.

Bene Gesserit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3620 on: March 20, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »
Hello everyone!

I've just registered, happy to join this  community!
I'm European, female, in my mid-30s. Have been lurking -  first the blog, then the forum for quite a while.

Love rational thinking spiced up with some humour!

jeniferwilliams

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Release My Super
« Reply #3621 on: March 21, 2018, 01:01:54 AM »
Hey
Hi everyone, I am Jenifer. I love adventures.

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3622 on: March 21, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »
I'm exit2019. 

This is my third post on the MMM forums.

I am new here and new to the FIRE community.

I only discovered MMM/FIRE a few weeks ago when telling a friend about my secret plan to escape work. He said, "you sound like those crazies who want to retire at 30 on $20k a year." 

What?

I had no idea such a thing existed.  Since this is the introduction thread, I will introduce myself by sharing something that I have never told anyone.

I graduated and started working my first professional engineering job in tech a few months before the dotcom crash.  I had expected that things would fall apart because it was obvious; what can't go on will not go on.  But still, the magnitude of things completely blew my mind.  Within months of moving to California, I was reeling from the collapse of the job market and the rapid rise of offshoring.  At the same time, the massive Indian bodyshops were making real inroads in the onshore low-cost engineering contracting in the companies everyone I knew worked for.  I was convinced that the entire career I'd invested so much in was about to go to zero; my boss told me that at their leadership offsite the CEO and CTO of the company had announced an India First strategy for all growth and replacement reqs going forward: no replacement in the US but 3:1 replacement rate for Bangalore and Chennai.  As a GenX it looked clear that social security would be gone.  Then Bush-Kerry and finally 9/11 happened.  The world was ending while I was working 10+ hours a day and weekends trying to avoid the swings of the layoff axe.

I'd stay up late after going to bed most nights working on trying to find a model for the future that I could work with to build some plan I could execute to get us to safety, about how my new wife and I would afford to live/eat/not become a burden on our parents if I got clipped in a layoff.  Then I'd be exhausted in the morning.

As a response to all of this, I put my wife and I on a severe financial diet and accumulated some cash.  Later, not long after 9/11, while trying to find something to educate myself about how to save for retirement, I came across a book called "Your Money or Your Life" on Amazon.  Over the next month or so I read it in secret at night when I couldn't sleep and my wife was asleep.  She was very worried and afraid - unlike me, her degree was not ever going to earn her a real living.  I avoided talking to my wife about my own fears: at least I was employed.

18 years later, I have a lot more grey hair.  While all of those things really did change the trajectory of the world around me, the fact that they happened also put me in a position where I started, bit by bit, to try and work towards controlling my own destiny.  I have been very, very hard working but also very fortunate.

Those other two posts I mentioned above: me posting in the 2019 FIRE cohort that I plan to join.

the_FI_engineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The FI Engineer
« Reply #3623 on: March 23, 2018, 10:24:58 AM »
Hey everyone! Long time lurker coming out of the shadows. I'm the_FI_engineer!

I was exposed to MMM in late 2015, and that exposure really opened my eyes and gave me the kick in the pants to pursue FI. I knew within a year of starting my engineering career that I really wanted to live a different kind of life; working 50-60 hours a week for the next 40 years just doesn't sound all that appealing! Finding MMM showed me that it's possible to live a simpler, more independent life that really goes against the grain of our culture here in America, and I was hooked!

January 2016 marked the beginning of my journey to FI. That's when I started tracking my net worth, spending/savings rates, etc. I'm really thrilled with the progress I've made, as I've since more than doubled my net worth.

I will be getting married next year to a partner who has slowly become more interested in the FI lifestyle, thanks in part to advice I've gleaned from MMM! I've been a musician since middle school, and I went on to play guitar in several rock bands in my region. Guitar is my main outlet, but I also play drums and bass so I can create music on my own schedule at home! My passion for music is another driving force in my quest to achieve FI; I miss playing in live bands terribly. My career makes it difficult to be a reliable band member, and I'm eager to get back to that part of my life.

Right now, my hope is that I will reach FI in January of 2028 - 12 years after the start of my journey. I'm well on my way, and looking forward to getting to know everyone in the community and helping others where I can.

Later!

Arbit Trage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3624 on: March 25, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »
Hey ya'll,

I stumbled upon this forum last month and have learned quite a bit so far. My name is Josh and I live in western North Carolina. Just wanted to say hello and thanks for the community that has been built. I look forward to building up my stache!

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3625 on: March 25, 2018, 01:14:21 PM »
Hi, I'm Doug. 

xoxoseo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • international online campaigns
« Reply #3626 on: March 27, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
Hi, I am Oxana, currently living in Europe, an owner of online businesses

mtbbrown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3627 on: March 27, 2018, 11:20:21 AM »
Hi, I'm Travis. Currently a college student at NC State (Raleigh, NC) studying Business. Just figured out about the Money Mustache community and I'd really like to learn as much as I can about all of this. Looking forward to talking with you all a bit more later.

Travis

fluffyo1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3628 on: March 28, 2018, 02:34:35 AM »
Hi, I'm Yin. Female, late twenties. I switched careers after obtaining my first degree and now currently a new grad RN with a BSN. Starting to really think about my financial future and decided to focus on being FI. I currently have 10k in my savings, an old beat up 2006 car, and 33k in student loan debt. Currently unemployed but I should be able to find a job soon hopefully. I never liked how our society is so focused on materialistic possessions and I feel something is just inherently wrong about working 40+ years just to retire to finally "feel" free. And being in the health field, it pains me to see older adults who have worked hard all their life to end up in a hospital bed in the end. Lots of lessons learned from them. Anyways, I am very excited to start this journey.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #3629 on: March 30, 2018, 02:31:56 PM »

Welcome everybody. I've been around for about a year now, and this site has had a tremendous impact on my life; I hope it will have the same positive impact on yours.

Wishing you all the best!

another saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • www.thatfrugalpharmacist.com
    • ThatFrugalPharmacist
« Reply #3630 on: April 01, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »
admin - please delete above post thank you.

AlphabettiSpaghetti

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3631 on: April 02, 2018, 02:59:58 PM »
Another newbie joining the cause (woohoo!). Warm hellos from the other side of the pond in rainy England :)

nottheturkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3632 on: April 02, 2018, 10:29:27 PM »
Hi all. High net worth, high earner, but not close to retirement and not really interested in it. But I want to be challenged on my thoughts and figured this was a good place to do it.

Why is it so hard to post something? The CAPTCHA is close to unreadable and it takes me 5 tries to get it every time.

Flat9MKE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3633 on: April 03, 2018, 03:45:59 PM »
Hi I'm Tom.  I'm a 34 year old commercial real estate developer living in Milwaukee with my fiance.  I like to do crossword puzzles, play jazz/blues guitar, read, and have fun  I enjoy the MMM philosophy and it has inspired me to put together a budget and save a LOT more money.

Looking forward interacting with like-minded folks on the Forum!

Tom

millionairedojo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Millionaire Dojo
« Reply #3634 on: April 04, 2018, 06:38:46 AM »
Hi I'm Nathan.

I'm happily married and enjoy living life on $25,000 a year. I love martial arts and am a systems engineer in I.T. at my day job. I am currently tracking my progress to become a millionaire and have started a martial arts themed blog to do so.

enFuego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Somewhere between On Fire and FIRE...
« Reply #3635 on: April 04, 2018, 07:32:16 PM »
I've been reading on this site for over a year at this point, trying to incorporate mustachianism into our lives. We're naturally frugal but not necessarily hard core mustachians. We're trying to find that balance that is right for us. I really identify with being extremely conscious and delberate about money.  I find it liberating.

As my description states we're somewhere in our journey between a Hair On Fire situation and FIRE. We were always savers and on a good track. But we had some lifestyle creep and then a major financial setback put us in crisis mode. With the help of MMM we are flexing our frugal muscles again and making major strides. Ironically we're actually on a better track than if we had avoided the crisis; it changed our trajectory for sure.

A big thank you to MMM and the MMM community. Looking forward to contributing going forward.

EnFuego

Bro-mero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3636 on: April 04, 2018, 11:10:46 PM »
Hello!

I've been a MMM reader since I started college almost 4 years ago, and I am graduating in a month with a Bachelor's in Finance. I am starting a Financial Analyst position soon, and I cant wait to begin my journey to FIRE!

SansSkill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3637 on: April 04, 2018, 11:49:54 PM »
Hello!

Been reading MMM for close to half a year now after I got a part time job that actually left me with excess money.
Figured I might as well get my finances setup up now that I am starting to join the real adult world and ended up in the wonderful world of FIRE instead.

Current goals for the year are a 6 month EF, an equivelant amount invested and a driver's license.

NathanDH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3638 on: April 05, 2018, 09:26:48 AM »
Hi, I'm Nathan.
I'm in Texas, spent a lot of my younger years being financially irresponsible and in school.

Hoping to fix some bad habits.

punxphil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3639 on: April 05, 2018, 03:38:09 PM »
Hi I'm Andrew from New Zealand.
I'm 49 and a bit despondent.
I did about 8 months of MMM happiness last year.
Other than that sprint of investing (SP500) I've got no other money except a 4% govt super that only started 2 years ago.
Things could be worse I could be in debt!
One complication I have is developing a couple of products for a startup I have.
But it's not really an excuse for no saving last 2 months.
Here to get back on the shiny path to FI.

batljunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3640 on: April 06, 2018, 02:12:01 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm Keith.
Doin' fine and glad to join the MMM way to FI.

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #3641 on: April 11, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »
Hello! I am Kay!

I am a mother of a 13 month old.

I work full time and look forward to becoming as mustachician as I can be!

This year my goal is to get myself and family outside as much as possible and enjoy the earth and the wonderful things it has to offer :)

dashuk

• Bristles
« Reply #3642 on: April 12, 2018, 06:49:19 AM »
Hi all,

MMM reader and forum lurker for a couple of years now, finally bothered signing up here properly.

In the UK. 35yo dad of two under-5s. Mechanical Engineer. Enthusiastic about bicycles. Concerned about the environment.

Probably 10-12 years off FI, best described as cruising rather than racing there. Could get there quicker if it was #1 priority,  but currently using a reasonably 'Mustachian' annual expenditure as a means of living off one (deliberately) part-time income to maximise time with the kids without stopping 'stache growth entirely. Might work a bit harder when they are both in school. Maybe.

Still hit around 35% savings rate last year, and think there's still a bit of fat to be trimmed from the expenses without really compromising the lifestyle. Largely here for inspiration and exchange of ideas on that front.

Finntastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3643 on: April 13, 2018, 03:39:35 AM »
Hi All,

New here and new to fire, starting today and aiming to get to FI and possible RE next year. I'm 40 years old married and grandfather of a 4 year old girl living and working in Thailand (originally from Finland). I've been pretty much broke the whole life and and number of failed businesses before, but the current company is doing great and my math looks like I should be able to get to 85% saving rate without even stretching it too much thanks to geo arbitrage and cheap living cost in Thailand. However my biggest problem is my money investments which pretty much been catastrophic to say the least. I have invested around 400k$ in past 1-2 years and lost about 350k$ so pretty much back to square one now.

merry1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3644 on: April 15, 2018, 07:33:59 AM »
Hi, I'm a fifty-something recovering from a bad divorce. A year ago I had nothing but debt and an alcoholic spouse on a certain road to financial disaster. Today I have saved about $20,000 in a 401k, almost paid off a small house in a retirement community in Mexico, a fixer-upper that I fixed up, and drive a long paid-off 2001 MBZ. I did this all before I found MMM.

I'm doing some goal-setting and want to reach financial independence within 5 years. I'm looking for like-minded folks, and this looks like a vibrant and active community.

Hi folks, I just wanted to give you an update to let you know that FIRE REALLY WORKS! I've lived and breathed FIRE since I first posted, and I am happy to say I'm retiring in 26 more days. I've worked like a dog and banked about 70% of my paycheck. As a result I learned I can live quite well with not much.

Now I'm packing and getting ready to move. Tomorrow I tell my boss. WOO HOO!!!

Merry1

hjon71

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3645 on: April 16, 2018, 04:26:33 PM »
Hello,
New to this forum from rural SW Tennessee.
46yr old married man
Kids are grown so it's just me/she

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PWFI22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3646 on: April 17, 2018, 02:08:10 PM »
Hi Guys!
I joined this forum for a class I am currently taking called "Financial Independence: Early Retirement" I love reading MMM posts and learning about what he has to say. I am looking forward to reading more posts and learning more about each topic!

saskamustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3647 on: April 20, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
Hi!

My name is Brian, I'm from the flatlands of Canada and I found this blog via reddit.

I'm just dipping my toes into FIRE. So much to learn.

I'm 35, just bought a house. I have 12k in student loans and 1800 in a car loan. Car loan will be paid off by June and student loan by December (fingers crossed)

House will be paid off by five years.

Can't wait to learn as I read the posts and forum!

leland

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3648 on: April 21, 2018, 10:04:16 PM »
Hi all!

Long time reader. New time poster.

39, single/committed, no kids, no real estate, a dog from the SO, living in the PNW (Seattle) and thinking about what's next... Looking to talk through some planning with experts about how to think about shifting into the FIRE type of life.

(aside: I cannot do these verification images...)

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #3649 on: April 22, 2018, 08:37:20 AM »
Hi!

My name is Brian, I'm from the flatlands of Canada and I found this blog via reddit.

I'm just dipping my toes into FIRE. So much to learn.

I'm 35, just bought a house. I have 12k in student loans and 1800 in a car loan. Car loan will be paid off by June and student loan by December (fingers crossed)

House will be paid off by five years.

Can't wait to learn as I read the posts and forum!

Welcome from a fellow flatlander!