Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317802 times)

Rogernelson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3550 on: January 15, 2018, 03:47:53 AM »
hi everyone.I'm new to this forum.help me to stay here...thank you all.

Sarganis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3551 on: January 15, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »
Hi there!

I am Yury, 30 years old, living in this big wierd Russia country and drinking no alchohol.

The idea of MMM that ticked with me is that financial freedom through frugality actually makes the world a better place and makes you a better guest on our host planet.

So, I am excited to figure out what of those high-income badass ninja tricks would work for the largest third-world country.

Cheers, comrads!

p.s. sorry in advance for odd English.

ulzxhi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3552 on: January 17, 2018, 02:12:18 AM »
@Sarganis Hi Yury! My elderly Russian teacher has never had a sip of alcohol in her life, so no worries ;D

PS your country has the most beautiful language I've ever studied (and I've studied plenty). It's not my favorite to listen to, but man the semantics is absolutely GORGEOUS. I love how expressive, playful and free your language is. English is so BORING (yet practical), and I often find myself lusting after other languages. Yours has a special place in my dreamy heart.

letstalkaboutdune

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3553 on: January 17, 2018, 12:16:24 PM »
Hi everyone! 31 y/o, married with no kids, just joined the forum after finishing all the MMM posts.

My friend and co-worker turned me on to MMM this past November, which was very timely because at the time I was shopping for my first house. After absorbing the MMM wisdom, I now live within ~3 mi of work (and right next to two nice grocery stores), commute via bike, have majorly cut down on my expenses and increased savings, and am working on retiring in the next 9 years!

Looking forward to interacting with all the lovely Mustachians here.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:18:20 PM by letstalkaboutdune »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3554 on: January 17, 2018, 06:48:02 PM »
Hi everyone! 31 y/o, married with no kids, just joined the forum after finishing all the MMM posts.

My friend and co-worker turned me on to MMM this past November, which was very timely because at the time I was shopping for my first house. After absorbing the MMM wisdom, I now live within ~3 mi of work (and right next to two nice grocery stores), commute via bike, have majorly cut down on my expenses and increased savings, and am working on retiring in the next 9 years!

Welcome!  That is a very cool story.  Good for your friend for recommending MMM, and good for you for having an open mind and making some big adjustments!  :)

pab88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3555 on: January 17, 2018, 11:02:50 PM »
Hi all,

I thought its about time I joined after reading nearly all the blog posts over the summer break.

Long story short I'm a single teacher from Sydney, Australia and have been working since I was 24 (I just turned 29). I relate to MMM's background because it sounds like we had similar vices in our younger days (i.e., cars, namely older, sportier Japanese ones). I also like o/seas travel and have done a number of cycling expeditions overseas, from 1 month to 3-months.

This past year I finally took the plunge and moved out from my parent's place and bought a modest, though pleasant and liveable apartment in an older block. It's within cycling range (10mi/16km each way) from my work. I know I've probably bought at the top of the property cycle and would not be surprised if its price stays the same for many years to come (or even slightly declines in real terms in the immediate future).

I'm not too worried as it is a buy and hold scenario for me to live in and is all I need (unless family happens, then it might not work). I managed to put up 190K in savings as a deposit as I saved a lot while living at home + made a mid-six figure windfall from a bet that came good in 2016. I even sold the supercharged sports car last year and am car-free for the first time since I was 16 (would be much stronger now if I dropped the car habit a bit earlier, oh well).

My expenses (in AUD - multiply by 0.8 for USD) are about 3000/month including 2000 in mortgage payment. My after-tax income is about 5750/month including a 4500 salary, 860 in flatmate rent and averaging 400 in side jobs. Hoping to pay the place off in 9 years and begin saving a 'stache for FIRE some time in my early-mid 40s.

Probably too much detail here for an intro but its not worth a case study.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3556 on: January 18, 2018, 06:58:03 AM »
Welcome!  There are lots of Aussies on the forum.  And some regular folks, too.  ;-)

letstalkaboutdune

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3557 on: January 18, 2018, 09:13:09 AM »

Welcome!  That is a very cool story.  Good for your friend for recommending MMM, and good for you for having an open mind and making some big adjustments!  :)

Thank you very much! It's amazing the big effect just a few adjustments can have. Some of my coworkers have noticed my bike commute and are now considering it themselves - hopefully they follow through and start a trend!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3558 on: January 20, 2018, 09:59:48 AM »

Thank you very much! It's amazing the big effect just a few adjustments can have. Some of my coworkers have noticed my bike commute and are now considering it themselves - hopefully they follow through and start a trend!

Even better!  That would be an awesome trend!

MyHilariousUserName

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3559 on: January 21, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »
Hi, I've found this site after going on google searches about issues with my financial aid office. I remember reading some of Mr Money Moustache blog some time back and sounded reasonable. I don't think I'm going to give my life story here because if the whole story isn't given, my experience has been that online people bite your head off. But yeah, hi!

JohnGalt615

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3560 on: January 21, 2018, 09:21:05 PM »
Hello, new user checking in.

Found the blog through reddit a year or so ago. This seems to be an amazing community of people looking to optimize saving for the long term, and I'm joining to learn and discuss.

John

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3561 on: January 22, 2018, 11:24:18 AM »
Hello, new user checking in.

Found the blog through reddit a year or so ago. This seems to be an amazing community of people looking to optimize saving for the long term, and I'm joining to learn and discuss.

John

With that nickname, you'd assume some political opinions as well. :)

Major Tom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3562 on: January 23, 2018, 02:29:45 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a while, whilst thoroughly enjoying the content and the community.

I am 47 male from Down Under!

Will be sharing my thoughts and FIRE goals in good time.

Cheers

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #3563 on: January 23, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a while, whilst thoroughly enjoying the content and the community.

I am 47 male from Down Under!

Will be sharing my thoughts and FIRE goals in good time.

Cheers

And all this while, we thought you were lost in space.

Sorry, could not resist;-)

(Space oddity by David Bowie)

MarkSmith09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3564 on: January 24, 2018, 04:42:04 AM »
Hi!
I'm Mark from Cranbury, NJ.

somers515

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3565 on: January 24, 2018, 04:50:12 AM »
Hi!
I'm Mark from Cranbury, NJ.

Nice to see another central NJ mustachian - welcome!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #3566 on: January 25, 2018, 09:38:59 AM »
Hi. 

I am a married 38-year-old man from Wisconsin with a 4-year-old daughter.  I've been reading MMM's posts and lurking for half a year (or so) and decided to finally register to post on the forum.  (So I feel like I know many of the posters already, even though nobody has seen me yet.)  I am currently a civil engineer working in private development; I find the job fun (three-dimensional puzzles!) and yet frustrating (permitting, stick-in-the-mud bureaucrats, paperwork, documentation).   For fun I read, join friends for D&D, exercise, play games on my computer, am involved in church and local government, and am "daddy". 

I had always been interested in retiring earlier than my parents did (my father "retired" at 55 when I was still in college and my mother at 55 also a few years later) - I thought 50 would be exceptionally early.  Well, little did I know back then (or even a year ago) there was this whole FIRE community that put my retire-at-50 dream to shame.  Since I started reading and learning more I've discovered could top that goal, based on our saving rate and low spending rate (based on life events when my wife and I married in 2010).  Now I'm looking at hitting my mark around age 42, depending on near-term market performance.  Hooray for those extra eight years of life!

Based on what I've learned and shared with her my wife (and I) became comfortable enough for her to recently quit her (torturous due to a change in boss a year ago) full-time job and is transitioning to part-time work for her employer for two more months before cutting the cord and becoming fully self-employed teaching online and tutoring world languages (along with personal fulfillment, reorganizing our house, and being "mama").

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #3567 on: January 26, 2018, 08:27:55 AM »
Hi all. I am a 29 y/o soon to be dad! I'm a long time Boglehead and lurker of MMM and many other personal finance and investing blogs. Finally decided to join and hope you guys can't help my wife and I improve our financial security. Glad to be here!

LIGRECLM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3568 on: January 26, 2018, 05:44:57 PM »
Hi There - Lauren aka "Ligreclm" here. I am a CPA (audit, not tax unfortunately), mama of a 3 y/o, wife to an electrical engineer. I just left the rigors of public accounting life and took a part time job with a nonprofit client for WAY less money (and less stress and less hours) so I can spend more time with my little lady and more time working out because I am very overweight (getting healthy is a priority). I am FREAKING OUT because I make about 30-35k less a year, which I am learning is actually a lot of money and was much of our disposable income and savings.

I am trying to take control of the situation and am looking closely at our finances, retirement, spending, and overall lifestyle so that we don't fall anymore behind than we are and maybe even get ahead.

My husband and I have always put about 5% into our 401k so we have about 200k in retirement, amassed a decent savings account (or what we thought was one) of about 40k. We have a mortgage on our house of about 175k, we have used cars, no student loans left and no credit card debt.

Our goals are as follows:
1) Learn how to spend LESS and where we can cut current expenses
2) Get money out of savings and put into income earning accounts
3) Figure out how to get house projects done without spending an absolute shitload of money. We have a house from the 1940's that needs new windows, insulation, kitchen relocation, shed, patio and landscaping, etc.
4) Increase annual retirement contributions
5) We REALLY want to have another child and will likely have to spend 20k on IVF or other treatments to have this child. We need to save for that.
6) Once we are in better shape financially, I would like to possibly invest in real estate or something similar. I love the idea of owning a few rental properties near me and Airbnb-ing them or having long term rentals. There are only 2 Airbnb's in my town and they are 75% booked for the YEAR so I am waiting for a relative to die and leave us some money or something to buy a little rental. Ha. I'm awful. Oh well.
7) Getting our family healthier by less technology, more exercise, more biking (hoping to commute to work in the spring!), and more TVless quality time.
8) I would like to learn how to earn money on the side. I am a quickbooks pro advisor so I thought about helping people that way, but I do accounting all day so I can't imagine doing it at night or on weekends too, its so boring. I am also an avid quilter, knitter, crocheter and am considering opening an etsy shop for my goods. In my next life, I would like to arrange national and international artisan tours of handcrafted studios and arrange classes. Wouldn't that be a dream.

I have been analyzing income and expenses and will probably be posting into Ask a Mustachian. I opened up a vanguard account and transferred some savings into there but can't seem to even pick an index fund to buy and am questioning whether now is a good time to buy, because isn't the market high? Bah I don't get investing. I am overwhelmed a bit and may need hand holding. It's pathetic but its true.

Thanks Everyone and I hope to get to know you!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:34:52 PM by LIGRECLM »

vikingtantan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3569 on: January 27, 2018, 08:25:39 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, but not to the MMM blog. I recently escaped student loan slavery in August 2017. Since I was a lone adventurer in my quest for freedom from debt, I turned to Youtube and the mighty internet to learn from others escaping debt to help keep myself motivated. Now that I've accomplished that goal, I'd like to work on true financial independence. I've been feeling a bit lonely because I'm the only person out of my family or friends that has 1. Escaped debt 2. Trying to build an empire so I never have to work again. I'm excited to interact and learn from all the badass MMMs.

Current status: 35; No debt; a little over 5k in an emergency fund; currently living in South Korea;

1. Trying to figure out which company allows expats to open investment accounts while they live abroad cause from what I gathered Vanguard isn't cool with that.

2. I'll be in Korea for 1 more year and then probably moving back to the States. Current plan is to save $10K to transition back (more of an emergency fund in case I can't land a job right away) and open a Vanguard account as soon as I move back.

lex_luthor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3570 on: January 27, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »
Wanted to drop a line & say hi. I've been a reader of MMM for a few years now, I think I've read almost all the posts, some more than once. I'm excited to be a new homeowner, got a fixer upper within biking distance to work (although in my line of work, it isn't very safe/smart to do so), but transportation costs have dropped tremendously. I'm 31, married, with a 4 year old and another one on the way (surprise!).

I'm interested in home projects (always busy), efficiency and organization / streamlining habits. I'm looking forward to meeting other local Mustachians and learning new skills / trades.

I was able to consolidate my student loans with SOFI based on MMM's article. It's been a huge catalyst for me. Now I'm looking for ways to continue to streamline and simplify so I can maximize what I currently make in order to set up a better future!

sterlingmossy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3571 on: January 27, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »
Hi,  I am 52, married, with two boys (24 & 21).  I am a Brit living in the midwest,  I have been in the USA since 1991.  I sold my company in 2016 and gained FI although I agreed to stay on consulting until the end of 2019.  I am looking for help and inspiration planning the next chapter.

dollarchaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3572 on: January 28, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »
Hi to all you bad asses.

Your community has been great to give hope of breaking away from "the man". I have been a factory slave for almost 20 years. Lots of perfectly good green soldiers have been sacrificed to consumerism. But I have been frugal and fortunate with some home purchases so Pete's messages are finding fertile soil. I even recall reading The Millionaire next door years back.

My DW is frugal and we are DINK's so I am putting a plan in place to push toward FI and some bad assity.

BamBam20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3573 on: February 01, 2018, 04:46:52 PM »
Hello World!
My name is Dom and I have been an MMM reader since October of 2012! The reason I know the exact month/year is because the first MMM post I ever read was the most recent at the time: "How to go from middle-class to kickass".
That post alone changed everything I believed about spending. Can't thank MMM enough for introducing me to the FI path!
I have been an observer of the forum for a few years and now that I recently discovered tapatalk, it will make it a lot easier for me to check the forum and interact.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

MLR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3574 on: February 02, 2018, 10:15:40 PM »
Dear MMM readers,

After being inspired by MMM and then by a couple of other financial bloggers, I have decided to start my own blog to keep a track of my journey to financial independence. I would really appreciate if you can visit my blog and provide me feedback on my progress. I need your encouragement during this tough phase of my FI journey. My blog might not be perfect, you might not like my style but I ensure you that I will put in all of my effort to provide as much details on my journey and use your feedback.

You can visit my blog at midliferecovery.com. I will look forward to your comments and feedback there.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:17:18 PM by MLR »

Clara Smith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3575 on: February 02, 2018, 11:47:36 PM »
Hello, I'm Clara Smith:
I'm a foodie and love to travel but due to some personal issues I can't really travel and do adventures.

FearlessTSmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • More Badass Bit by Bit
« Reply #3576 on: February 04, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »
Hi, everyone.  Have been lurking enough on the forum to feel like I have friends even if they haven't heard of me before.  Hi snacky, SailorSam, frugalparagon, lhamo, ellefiji, monstermonster, etc. 

White cisgender male living in USA, FIREd more or less recently...just long enough to find out my too-frequent habit of "I'll procrastinate until I have to go work" has become "I'll procrastinate."  Started journal to chronicle my upcoming journey from having freedom to actually living it.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/from-fearful-to-fearless/

Evildunk99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3577 on: February 07, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
Hello Mustachians!  Ryan from Conshohocken, PA here (just outside of Philly).  I've perused the blog like many of you and wanted to make an introduction.

Current situation:

- 31 y/o, recently married
- Dual incomes ($130k combined), no kids
- Assets:  $60k in home equity, 2 401k's totaling $40k, 1 Roth IRA totaling $30k, cash & brokerage totaling $40k, 2 used cars totaling $15k
- Liabilities:  $75k in student loans ($800 / mo), $140k mortgage ($890 PITI)

Short term goal:  Use cash + roth IRA to purchase 2nd home, and rent out the existing one.  Ideally before we have kids ~2020

Long term goals:  1) pay off student loans ASAP, 2) use 401k's to pay for children's future college expenses, 3) compound rental property expansion to retire within 15 years, 4) use excess cash to fund a fun small business during retirement.

salmo trutta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3578 on: February 09, 2018, 02:36:27 PM »
Long time lurker / first time poster. Really enjoy the blog and the ideas it generates.

I recently achieved my goal of being a millionaire by the age of 50 and embrace the FIRE concept, but more the FI for now and not the RE just yet... I am 100% debt free, saving several thousand dollars per month, and generally just enjoying life.

FI for me is simply living a stress-free and simple lifestyle without the tedious task of trying to rub a few nickels together to make something happen. I love my job and enjoy my clients and the relationships I have there, so getting up everyday and going to work is still something I get excited about. No "Monday Morning Blues"... I do plan to retire soon and have a good plan in place. More to come...

I am into life-hacks (counter culture, new ways of doing things, shooting sacred cows), cool tools, DIY everything, technology (I work in the industry), voracious reading, fly-fishing on a daily basis, and Jeeping. In between I enjoy a good IPA (or many good IPAs) and clean simple local foods. Oh, and don't fret my daily driver is mod'd Corolla @ 30+ mpg and a solid messenger bike!

Cheers all, here's to a great 2018!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:49:25 PM by salmo trutta »

SimplySueLoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3579 on: February 10, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »
Hi, I'm Sue. Back living near Milwaukee in my home state of Wisconsin after many years living in and traveling to places with more exciting geography.  It's super flat here.  I have 1 nice husband, 1 nice dog.

People have always called me cheap.  But for many years I've worked on ways to exchange expense for freedom. LOVE this forum!

I'm in my early 50s, and furtively trying to convince my early 60s hubby that YES, WE CAN RETIRE!  I routinely pull out excel spreadsheets for my "state of our union" pro-FIRE presentation.

Ideal retirement for us has:  much hiking, much travel, much time to tinker with fun and flexible extra income (or savings) ideas

Nice to meet you :)

PKate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3580 on: February 11, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »
Hi,  I am happy to find this place.  My DH and I are looking to get organized and be able to FIRE soon. While we are savers we are not organized and I am looking on how to make retiring early happen. 

We are on either side of 40 and while we don't have kids I have medical issues that make things more expensive but still doable for FIRE.  DH's current work contract is ending in a few weeks and we will be shifting to working part time so we can get organized, work on developing our tiny farm, and time for our hobbies. 

Jeff K

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • infiBudget
« Reply #3581 on: February 11, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
Hi, I'm Jeff and I'm pursuing FI in Vermont with my wife.  I've been reading the MMM blog for over a year now and looking to connect with others in the FI community!

StealthFundip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3582 on: February 11, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm StealthFundip!  I'm a 21 year old from Wisconsin with a 2 year degree in Software Development, currently looking for a full-time position to truly get started on my path to FI.

Since first learning about MMM and early retirement, I've paid off both of my maxed out credit cards ($2700 combined) and finally have more than $50 in my savings account!

I read just about every post from MMM over the course of a month, and a few lurking suspicions I've had about money have been reinforced completely (For example, my 200 mile round trip commute is probably going to give most of you instant heart attacks!) 
One day I hope to have a cushy software development job within biking distance, and a garage full of all sorts of woodworking/welding tools so I can work on all sorts of projects in my free time. 

After I get enough to retire... I'm not sure yet.  Doing something to help with the exploration of space sounds pretty neat, but we'll see what happens along the way :)

FrugalOliphant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3583 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a 31 year old long-time lurker living in Knoxville, TN.  I've really enjoyed this community and am dipping my toe into the water on posting. 

My goals for this year are to pay off my car and save $15,000 in an emergency fund.  Then in 2019 I hope to max out my 401k and HSA, with additional money going to either an IRA or my student loan balance ($71,000!!).

Aswampdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3584 on: February 12, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
Hello, I am Swamp, living in San Diego county.  42 years in the Mortgage/Real Estate world.  Just found your site.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3585 on: February 16, 2018, 09:48:58 PM »
I've been lurking on this site from time to time for years and have been soaking up info elsewhere online even longer.

I've been frugal and saving for many years just by my nature before I ever heard of any early retirement sites and have already built up a pretty good stash but hope to pick up some more useful tips here and there.

Despite my saving since a young age, I figured I would work until I was 67 - which is the normal retirement age for someone my age, but I'm now looking to retire in my 50's.

Livethedream

• Stubble
« Reply #3586 on: February 17, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »
Hello from Northern California.

Found this site a while ago but life got crazy for a bit. Refocusing our FI and this site seems like a great place of likes minded people.

31m, married two kids. Duel incomes, looking to show our kids the world by homeschooling and having the FI to do it.

Richmond 2020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3587 on: February 17, 2018, 03:18:58 PM »
Hi everyone!

42 years old from Oz with wife and 2 young kids. If all goes to plan will retire in three years time at age 45.

Already shifted down to 4 days a week as wife has gone back to work full time.

WebbieOT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3588 on: February 18, 2018, 06:56:13 AM »
27 year old occupational therapist about 2 years now living in Miami. interested in FI since the beginning of this year.

started out at ~80K in grad school debt..down to 40K now since I've been working... 403b, roth IRA contributor.

ready to continue my road to FI..

trilliumshamrock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3589 on: February 18, 2018, 08:13:32 AM »
hey from the GTA,

early 20s Canadian, about to graduate this spring and excited to start putting these principles into reality and taking on investing, dealing with student loans, and following in the footsteps of MMM, ERE and reading the simple path to wealth by JL Collins!

mclements

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3590 on: February 21, 2018, 09:03:40 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Mike. I live in Miami, Florida. I am 48 and kicking myself I didn't find this way of living earlier!

jacquelynthomas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3591 on: February 23, 2018, 04:48:04 AM »
Hello Guys and Girls!
I am Jacquelyn Thomas, working in construction industry and love to talk to people. I am single and graduated a long time ago. Love to make new friends, talk to other people and know their stories.

grilledcheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3592 on: February 23, 2018, 07:47:28 AM »
Hi,

I'm grungebaby. 38 years old (I think?) and living in Canada. I somehow snagged an amazing guy and lucked out with two of the most amazing kids. As a family we love traveling, playing music, and just hanging out together. Life is crazy and chaotic for us right now, because we both work shift work and are juggling childcare on top of our kids' activities and social commitments. We dream of FIRE because we don't have time to work! Ha ha. Seriously though, FIRE means freedom for us and we cannot wait to have more time and energy to spend with our family and on our passions.

My husband has always been good with money, one of those kids who collected pop cans and saved every penny and put it toward his future down payment. I never had any money, but somehow avoided going into debt as an adult, aside from my student loans. We lived pretty frugally in our twenties, and went on to have a cheap wedding, and got a pretty good deal on a home in a fantastic neighborhood. We rented out half of our house for 10 years, and recently took over the whole house.

We've been extremely lucky, and made some good choices, but we still have so far to go on our path to FI. Since discovering MMM a couple of years ago, we started tracking our money and tried hard to lower our expenses. It's been a rocky road so far, with lots of not so great choices and weak moments, but we are still on the path and can't wait to reach FIRE. We don't have an exact date in mind yet, but we hope to reach FIRE in the next 5-10 years.

Anyways, that's a bit about me. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of the community.

maiyen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3593 on: February 23, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »
Hello, I'm maiyen. My hobbies include saving money, spending money, petting critters and eating.

eazyebeneezer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3594 on: February 23, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »
Hi. I'm a teacher in the Boston area who has always been dumfounded by my colleagues' lifestyles: big, expensive house in suburbs far from their work, two cars, tons of driving, always complaining about being busy. I live three miles from work and either bike or run my commute most days, rent an apartment in a cool neighborhood, do zero house maintenance, and travel every summer. I've always been frugal, as you might be able to tell from my username (my college nickname was Ebenezer) and proud of it. Since finding MMM, though, I have newfound purpose and strategies to make my dream of being free from working a reality. Thank you!!!!!

trmcph01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3595 on: February 25, 2018, 05:56:21 AM »
Hello everyone.  I'm Ryan, married with two beautiful girls.  Have been reading MMM for about a month due to a friend turning me on to the site.  Still have a way to go. 

MoStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3596 on: February 25, 2018, 12:34:12 PM »
I'm Mo, debt free and (after a recent promotion) finally maxing out our retirement accounts and IRAs but my spouse likes craft beer too much to be able to retire. We did something right as our millennial children both educated, employed, and debt-free besides mortgages. The only thing left to nag them about is grandchildren!

msfibidie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hoping to reach FI before I die
    • FI Before I Die
« Reply #3597 on: February 25, 2018, 08:28:57 PM »
Hi, everyone!

I'm Ms. Fibidie, another longtime lurker and first-time poster. I'm 47, a single mom, and just getting my life back on track (again). I've been a MMM reader for several years but have been pretty terrible at doing what I need to do to achieve FI. Recently I've gotten back on track though, and I'd really appreciate the support, ideas, and brilliant observations of MMM readers here. You all are amazing inspiration for really going for it.

I have $60k in a 401(k) and am another $50k in debt to my 401(k). Long, stupid story, but I'm eager to get on with it before I'm too old to enjoy myself.

Looking forward to contributing what I can!

Phiz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3598 on: February 25, 2018, 11:34:47 PM »
Hullo hullo

I'm Phiz from Singapore. One of the most expensive places in the world, but I get by. I'm here mostly to watch and learn, and worry about the fact that A) I would like to be a Mustachian, and B) I am also a big Apple geek. Learning to make do with my iPhone 7 for at least 2 more years.

I'm debt free (aside from an 88 dollar library fine which I keep meaning to clear), and I'm slowly building my savings. Eventually, I'll tackle the investing side of things, which may take a different path since, in Singapore, a 401(k) is called an SRS, and it may not be the same thing. So, wish me luck!

Oh, also, learn not to be smug if I do manage to be financially independent and my peers don't. Smugness is my pet peeve, and I'd really hate for me to add to it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:37:19 PM by Phiz »

kshforFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3599 on: February 26, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
Hello all - I'm KSH and I'm trying to learn all that I can about becoming financially independent. I feel like I have the basics down (no debt, saving 40% each month, contributing to retirement), but there's always more to learn.

I discovered the Money Mustache blog a couple of months ago, but just found about the forums. Looking forward to contribute to the community.