Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3317761 times)

The Wolf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3300 on: June 15, 2017, 08:39:51 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm Copenhagen based and came across MMM when Pete was interviewed by Ferriss a few months ago. Have been following Ferriss' podcast for a few years but this podcast episode has impacted me more than anything else.

The whole MMM philosophy of life simply resonates incredibly well with me, and I've figured out that FI is only one of many wonderful side effects. Here's the funny thing I've come to realize: rather than feeling deprived every time a skip a wasteful purchase, I'm feeling even more energetic and free!

I do recognize that I’m probably still in my MMM honeymoon phase and the long hall is still ahead. But running over my personal finances and starting to optimize for FI has been a great experience up until now. I’ve reorganized for a 75% savings rate and I’m pumped up with enthusiasm :-D

Salute to everyone out there spreading the MMM message!

xander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3301 on: June 16, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »
Hello all!

I'm Alex from Dayton, Ohio. I have been lurking this site for a while and have now decided to really up my investing game and learn everything there is to know!

I am 29 years old working in the manufacturing field as a Toolmaker. I love what I do, but with that being said I am looking forward to an early retirement. I have a good start with my savings and 401k but need some direction with where to go from here. You'll see plenty of questions from me on the boards.

Glad to be here!

Cossack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • finance liberation
« Reply #3302 on: June 18, 2017, 06:58:53 PM »
Hi there.

We retired a few years ago. I am 43 my wife, 39. We have 5 young kids, 10, 8, 7, 4 and a newborn born this week. We have been able to travel and live in various countries and live a pretty full life. We have lived out many of the MMM principles and hopefully we will be able to contribute and learn in this community.

TheAverageSo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3303 on: June 19, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »
Hi all - I'm 37 and about to be married to the most wonderful gal ever. 

I've been stupid with money until about 30, and end up saving enough to buy myself a home with 25% down.

I have approx. $300k left on the mortgage, and I owe about $18k for my car loan.  I have about $80k saved and home is worth approx. $930k according to an appraiser last month.  My fiancee has about $180k saved.  We're both pretty thrifty and I personally don't spend on much except a few lunches here and there.  From some calculations, based on wanting to spend $50k/year during FI, we need to save $1.25MM.  So since we both have a total saved of about $260k, we are short $990k.   Based on some FI calculators, it says I only have 9.5 years to FI.  I don't see how that's possible?  Can someone assess our situation and scrutinize it?

Also, I am starting to hate my job and the same goes for my fiancee.  We were thinking of quitting for a year and doing some slow travelling. What do you guys/gals think?

privatevoid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3304 on: June 20, 2017, 06:57:02 PM »
Hello,

Northern VA area here!

My goal: pay off ~$8150 car loan and ~$16k student loan. I want to pay off the car by the end of the year and the student loan in the next few years.

theseIthacas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3305 on: June 21, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »
Hi!

I'm in my mid-30s, my husband is 51, and we have two kids, two cats, and a small menagerie of other critters. We're generally fairly frugal, and we've been debt free other than our mortgage since 2013, but it's been a bumpy ride since then. Early retirement wasn't necessarily on the horizon until the other half had a stroke two years ago. Even though he recovered quite well, and plans on working for at least another 15-16 years, I'm hoping to cut that back as much as possible.

I've been reading MMM for a couple of years, so I guess it's about time I dropped out of lurking and joined the forums!

Codemaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3306 on: June 23, 2017, 10:06:53 AM »
Hey all!

I'm a bit of a tough to pin down person. I am an artist, programmer, athlete, and traveler. I'm stoked to be here and look forward to getting to know all of y'all! 

bless up

benjaminfoley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3307 on: June 24, 2017, 08:19:37 AM »
Hey Guys!

I'm Ben and I'm new here to this great community of money wranglers. Although I aspire to be as mustachian as you all, I'm just getting started. I'm 25 and grew up in a very non-Mustacian manner. In fact, I've never built anything.

I really wanted to get my hands dirty and start learning how to build things. I live in Chicago, IL. Anyone have any suggestions with a good first project or know anyone in the area that runs a construction company that I can get my ass work on the weekends with?

Thanks!

Ben

tozier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3308 on: June 24, 2017, 09:29:49 AM »
Hello everyone,

I’ve been reading the blog and applying many of the principles for close to two years, so I am not entirely new to the site, but this is the first time I have posted to the forum. I am happy to report that at the end of this week, I will be debt free (excluding the mortgage), and have been saving an average of around 60% of my income. My next goals are to build a six-month emergency fund (which thanks to my savings rate, will take less than three months), push up my 401k to the IRS limit, and then use the rest to pay towards the principal on my mortgage, a decent strategy considering the latest blog from MMM on a possible recession in the next 3-5 years. Or I may continue to contribute the minimum for the employer match and push everything else into my mortgage, paying it off in 5 years.

First though, I need to determine where to invest my emergency funds. Can’t just leave it in a dismal savings account. Need to have every dollar working for me. I know this has been answered somewhere on this forum, but have yet to find it.

hm__

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3309 on: June 24, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
Hey all,

Early 20s here, living in DC metro (not exactly mustachian COL area). Studied engineering and now working in a related field.

Discovered MMM two months ago and read every article, have since tried to optimize all spending within my control at the moment, with hopes of paying off student loans and socking away as much as I can for the future. Looking forward to contributing and reading more!

frugalhackers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Hackers
« Reply #3310 on: June 24, 2017, 07:07:01 PM »
Hi! My husband and I discovered MMM's blog over a year ago. We're Canadians leading our own version of a Mustachian life in San Francisco. Finally took the plunge and started blogging at Frugal Hackers last week because we got tired of all of our friends saying you can't be frugal in San Francisco. I'm excited to find such an amazing community of like minded folks!

HildaCorners

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Professional Polymath
« Reply #3311 on: June 25, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »
Howdy!

I'm always had a money mustache ... sometimes I have to force myself to spend on 100% necessary purchases. However, I'm not retired yet (and am old enough that I can't retire *early* in any case).

I've had an interesting life so far ... everything from near FI to "which bills do I not pay this month" poverty. I'm doing well again, but have some catching up to do. I'm looking for FI within the next five years.

I'll post more details in a Journal.

Taconite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3312 on: June 26, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »
Howdy gang,

Middle aged Southern Californian who is trying his hardest to get FIREd from his GOVT job.  Got the average 2 kids, spouse, cat, 2x student loans and a mortgage.  Was forced to do a lot of what the founder suggests when the wife lost her job during the recession.  Read Your Money or Your Life earlier this year (2017) and it reinforced a lot of what I was doing.  I found this site though a web search of YMOYL to share with a coworker. 

Looking to learn and support. 

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:35:47 AM by Taconite »

Silverado62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3313 on: June 27, 2017, 06:45:10 AM »
Hello from TX. I've arrived at the financial freedom finish line at age 54 through semi-frugal living, mega savings, and real estate investing. All while enjoying an occasional splurge and, for sure, some spending relapses along the way.

But at retirement's doorstep I have started to read up a lot more on money and found this forum. I'm happy to join in and learn and share with others who think as I do about life, happiness and how money works.

espyfamoffour

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3314 on: June 28, 2017, 03:06:11 PM »
Greetings from the Midwest!  Been a consumer of forum/articles for years and doing my best to get spouse on board with frugal living.  Father of two that got serious about investing a few years ago, with wife working part time. Looking forward to interacting with a like minded community!

Livinginthemountains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3315 on: June 28, 2017, 06:29:18 PM »
Hi! I found MMM a few months ago and decided to join the forum just for the fact that there are people here I can relate to when it comes to frugality.... I feel everyone in my real life thinks I'm crazy for riding a bike... living in a paid for house and not spending  $30 grand on a car.... It's great to know there's others on the planet like me!

sufjork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3316 on: June 30, 2017, 05:35:08 AM »
Hiya! I'm Lei. I am in my mid 20s and currently a freelance artist. Due to recently discovering MMM and the real possibility of retiring early/being financially independent, I have decided I'm going to train myself so I can transition into the world of web dev + web design. My fiancé is also a member of this forum and we are just beginning our journey into FIRE!

Lance Hiruma

• Stubble
« Reply #3317 on: June 30, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »
Hello!
Long time YLOYM and simple living advocate, found this great forum accidentally. We are mid-40s and mid-30s, living in Phoenix metro. Recently, we started to plan out early retirement very seriously. It is both exciting and scary at the same time. Looking to learn and support each other in the journey. Cheers!

Zariana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3318 on: June 30, 2017, 09:05:16 PM »
Hi,

I've been following MMM for the last year, and having consumed his blog I decided to come on the MMM forums to continue my journey toward FIRE.  I'm actually a lot closer than I thought before reading MMM, which has certainly helped me take a healthier life-attitude while working in a very stressful job.

I'm an American living overseas in Asia at the moment, which gives an interesting perspective on what low-cost living actually is. I plan to return to the US in a year or so when my job assignment ends.

I look forward to listening and being part of the conversation!

Cheers,

-Z

Diego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3319 on: July 01, 2017, 03:15:05 AM »
Hello, I'm Diego, I'm from Spain and I work as a programmer (iOS & Android apps).

Hope to find inspiration and some good tips here!

Bella78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3320 on: July 01, 2017, 06:06:11 AM »
Hello all,

I found MMM about a year ago, though I have only recently committed to mustachianism.  Through reading a lot of the information and advice around here, I have realized that FIRE is a possibility if I can stay on track.  I am hoping to retire or semi-retire by 55.

ianvestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Investing for a living
« Reply #3321 on: July 01, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »

Hi,

I came across MMM a couple of years ago, and skimmed through a few posts and saw a few stories on youtube. Only now am I realising how it is such a large online community so thought I should join. With some of my life choices I feel I can relate to a lot of the discussions. I am 43 and from Australia, and a couple of years ago decided to live at least about half of the year in Vietnam and Thailand, which offers a simple, economical and enjoyable lifestyle. I live off my investments mainly, together with some consulting work and freelance writing. Look forward to reading more of the posts and participating in some discussions.

CalSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3322 on: July 01, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »
Hello MMM forum - So great to see everyone sharing so much information, knowledge, stories and advice.  The missus and I are fortunate to be in a good spot financially, and even then we're agonizing a bit on how to move forward towards financial independence.  What get's paid down first, etc. etc. 

Thanks for everything so far!

icyii

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3323 on: July 01, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »
Hello MMM! I was introduced to the joys of MMM through Pocket, and now I'm hooked! I'm reading he entire blog from the start and I'm learning sooo much. I'm afraid to say I used to be stupid with money, though I wasn't earning much to start with so I didn't waste that much. It's time for change! Can't wait to start building assets. I hope to retire asap. In my mid 20's and hope to retire early. Still working on how to do that - but I'll build my financial literacy first. Super excited to meet you all!

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE:2017 "Without music, life would be a mistake.
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #3324 on: July 02, 2017, 04:59:49 AM »
In my mid 20's and hope to retire early. Still working on how to do that - but I'll build my financial literacy first.

I love this attitude. Please tactfully encourage your friends to do so (build their financial literacy) too.

nipponahito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3325 on: July 02, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »
Hello MMM forums! Was introduced to this way of thinking by a finanical advisor I know that's mustachian. Really excited about all I have read on the blog so far and am committed to working towards fianancial independence. Currently am debt-free and looking to optimize expenditures.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #3326 on: July 04, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »
Hey, I'm Austin!

I work a boring desk job, am currently rushing towards FI ASAP, have 5 years left (8 years if pessimistic), and am currently obsessed with repairing my beater of a car.

semiretired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3327 on: July 06, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »
Hi, I am a 45 years old and I work as a Fire Fighter 2 days a week. Which is why i call myself semi-retired. I wont be able to fully retire as early as some of you as i need to work to age 55 to receive my pension. But i hope to learn allot from all of you so i can make sure my retirement lasts.

Thank you in advance

adifferentlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3328 on: July 07, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »
Hello to Forum Members- I have practiced the principles in YOUR MONEY OR YOUR LIFE (great book!),VOLUNTARY SIMPLICITY (a program of The Northwest Institute) and more recently Frugalwoods.  Throughout it all, I have have several financial set-backs (the DOT com crash and the 2008 real estate crash and I am a realtor! Had several years with almost no income and it hit my savings very hard!!!!!!!!) I am now a practicing mustachian- my actions are the only thing I can control and I Love MMM- - there is so much one can do and I APPRECIATE the chance to learn anything new that will make life more meaningful and fulfilling on a shoestring!

sanju

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3329 on: July 07, 2017, 04:54:11 PM »
Hi Im Sanju. I am 28yrs old. My family had a lot of money problems while I was growing up and the topic of money has always caused a lot of freeze/collapse anxiety for me. I have been debt free since mid-2014, but I have not been very proactive with saving or investing my income. My friend introduced me to MMM and at first I thought FIRE would be impossible for me. After reading pretty much every post, I realized I needed to deconstruct and let go of self-limiting beliefs and thoughts. The life that I want for myself IS attainable. I am looking forward to beginning this new journey and chapter of my life.

Frugal Fran in Canada

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3330 on: July 08, 2017, 11:28:44 AM »
Hi folks!

Long time follower of the blog, new poster.  Over the last few years, I worked hard to get my spending down and paid my debts. More recently, I took a job in a remote area, selling my overvalued Toronto condo for a tidy profit, purchasing a real nice actual house in the middle of nowhere (more or less).

I must say that an increased income (which still isn't huge) went a long way to making savings possible. It is tough to build wealth on $40k/yr as a single person in a major urban centre, even with frugality. And I suppose a good deal of moral fortitude is what made the move possible - it wasn't an easy thing to do on my own.

Anyway, I have found myself for the first time, with a sizeable chunk of investable cash, even after making a large mortgage pre-payment and moving 1700 km.

I'm 38 now, and while I would've loved to start earlier, it's great to have this cash to jump-start things, and now be able to make regular contributions. I've also held for the last 8 years (and continue to hold in my new position), a defined benefit pension plan, which helps my situation a lot. Right now I'm being conservative and aiming for retirement in 12 years, at 50, but if my career continues to grow as I hope, maybe I will be able to push that down.

I'm now getting started with index investing and have a few questions, so will be checking out the "Investor Alley" forum next!

Happy savings :)
FFinC

Mr Griz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3331 on: July 08, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »
Hello MMM forum folks.

Just found the MMM (and related) community the past few months and not a bit too late.  DW RE'd a few years ago and I hope to follow next next year (2018).  Despite some face-punch worthy mistakes we've actually been FI for at least five years.  Who knew!

Shara

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3332 on: July 09, 2017, 07:50:20 PM »
Hello everyone!

I recently found this community as I was going through my finances and reading up on investor strategy.  I'm in my mid 30s and was already following much of the recommendations MMM makes, but finding this site and community am looking to dial it up to the next level.  Happy savings everyone!

Hermione76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3333 on: July 10, 2017, 10:27:36 AM »
Hello Mustachians! I've been reading the MMM blog for a couple of years now, and finally decided to join the Forums! I recently quit my extremely stressful job working for a crazy boss, and I'm doing some consulting work to tide me over until I find my next stable gig. My husband and I are middle-range earners, debt-free (we rent, though), and good savers -- but we could be BETTER SAVERS! We live in Southern California, where it's pretty expensive, but where there are LOT of opportunities for Mustachianism -- including riding our bikes, shopping bulk, eating simply, etc. I look forward to getting to know all of you, and flexing my little baby Mustachian muscles!

ZenfantTerrible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3334 on: July 11, 2017, 08:35:52 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am 29 and currently reside in Ottawa, Canada. I have only been working full-time for 18 months, having attended university for a long 6-7 years for an undergraduate and a Master's degrees. I was lucky enough to stumble on Mr Money Mustache while I was still studying (early 2014). As a result, when I started working, I had long been planning how to best manage the finances. I have spread the good word to my brother, who like me, is now putting a minimum 50% of his income towards low-cost index funds every month. Converting my friends to Mustachianism has proved futile so far, however...I am not giving up yet!

ZenfantTerrible

mckaylabaloney

• Bristles
« Reply #3335 on: July 12, 2017, 08:39:36 AM »
Hi! I've been reading MMM for a couple of years and lurking on these forums for a couple of months -- thought I would finally join the conversation. I'm a 29-year-old lawyer living in a major U.S. city with six figures of law school debt that I can't wait to get off my back. Looking forward to sharing my progress with you all!

ajtegret

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3336 on: July 12, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
Hi all,

Finally got around to checking out the site and stoked to find a forum! Been scaling back the past few years - got rid of my car in LA recently and I'm excited to learn more ways to live simply, unburdened. Looking forward to diving into MMM!

Double0000000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3337 on: July 13, 2017, 10:44:34 AM »
Hi Mustachians - Posted in another thread so I figured that I'd post here too.

I've been going through my personal finance journey for 7 years now and have been browsing MMM for the last few years. Looking to graduate before 2030.

NorCalistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3338 on: July 13, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »
Hi 'stachers, NorCalistache here. I'm a uni professor, teach economics. Mrs. NorCalistache and I have been together for 35 years, and our three kids have all successfully fledged. My FIRE date is August 2018. Mrs. NorCalistache and I share a preference for simple living.

One challenge is that while our adult children share this preference for simple living, other members of the extended family and some old friends of ours have the "high income, high spending" lifestyle. Once we cash in our chips next year and are FIRE, I think we will need to find other folks practicing simple living, as there will be challenges hanging out with folks who are big spenders.

attr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "Never say Never"
    • Roofing Nashville TN
« Reply #3339 on: July 13, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »
Hi everyone I also climb things! Lol mostly roofs....that are slanted...and sometimes slippery. Glad to be here apart of the community. Don't really know what to write, why do I have that weird awkward feeling of introducing myself to the classroom? So my name's Todd, I'm a roofer in Nashville Tn  and spend most of my days above ground...or in my boat on the lake.

See you in the forums!

kk1241

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3340 on: July 14, 2017, 08:58:06 AM »
Hi I'm Katie! I am 24 years old and currently in grad school for physical therapy who is living off student loans and accumulating lots of debt FAST.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #3341 on: July 14, 2017, 11:21:36 AM »
Hey yall! I hit a rough financial patch in 2015 and discovered MMM and other FI blogs while trying to figure out how to get back on track. I've always been on the frugal side, but I recently moved in with my spendypants boyfriend and have noticed myself starting to fall victim to the treat yo'self mentality. I'm hoping that getting engaged with the forums will help me stop backsliding and make sure my financial decisions stay in alignment with my values and long-term goals. I love my career so RE isn't my goal, but I want FI so that I can know I'm working because I want to work--not because I have to work. (My boyfriend, on the other hand, would love to RE but thinks it's impossible because of his student loans. Sigh...)

Looking forward to getting to know everyone better!

Tow Pro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Live and Let Die
    • Towing Madison TN
« Reply #3342 on: July 14, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
What's up guys and gals, this is Mr. Tow Pro, as I am locally known :) I'm getting into a position where I can start looking into other forms of income. I've been towing in Madison Tennessee

for a lifetime but now have a crew of guys on the road that can handle our call flow. I also have a few kiddos who are not digging the idea of joining the family business. I can't blame them! They are always talking about online streams of income so I want to start getting involved in the conversation with them.

Anyways, happy to be here!

anic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3343 on: July 15, 2017, 04:59:43 AM »
Hi everyone,
I discovered this website just this week and I have a feeling it's going to be a great source of information and inspiration. I'm 41, I have two young kids (almost 6 and 4), I'm separated. I have never applied my mind to money throughout my life and now I feel a great urgency to do so. So, I'm reading this site, trying to get a grip on basic maths and pulling my head out of the sand.

I'm nowhere near being in a position to retire and by the time I do get to fix the errors of the past, it'll be time to retire anyway! But at least I'll be looking at a more financially secure old age...I hope.

All the best to everyone.

Rachel_the_Lark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3344 on: July 15, 2017, 06:03:03 AM »
Morning everyone,
I've poked around here a couple times, but figured if I want to get serious that means taking the plunge and engaging with the forum.  I've got a decent track record with finances but want to take things to a higher level.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

RedKing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3345 on: July 15, 2017, 11:15:29 PM »
Good morning Everyone.

I'm Patrick. German, currently living in Dubai. Moving soon to USA (and open for good advice in that matter). I've been following MMM for about a year now and finally decided to sign up to the forum.

Hope all of you have a great day!

onewayfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3346 on: July 17, 2017, 08:13:16 AM »
Hi People!

I've been into MMM and even active on the forum for a few years (previously posting under andystkilda) but we've recently FIRE'd and gone nomadic so we started a blog to document our adventures. Hopefully we can also inspire more people (especially families) to win back more time-freedom and live a life more consistent with their values and aspirations.

I look forward to contributing and helping out where I can.

Cheers

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #3347 on: July 17, 2017, 09:16:28 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm 50 now and can feel the FIRE approaching! I work in tech.  I actually enjoy my job most of the time, but I look forward to the freedom and adventures that retirement can bring.

My "stache" is currently at about 73x my current yearly "bare bones" budget, but about 43x of a more "practical" FIRE budget to allow about $500/mo spending over budget.

I'm looking at FIRE in 2 to 4 years.

My budget will go up in retirement, plus, I don't want to just be scraping by.  I want to have a very nice cushion when I retire beyond just getting the bills paid.  And about 10 years into retirement, SS will be a bonus.

My frugal ways and saving go back over my entire career, so MMM just reinforces what I've already been doing for decades.  I've read posts in the blog and forum here from time to time over the last several years but just got around to registering.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:04:34 PM by GenXbiker »

Cavechild

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3348 on: July 18, 2017, 10:55:47 AM »
Been following the Site for a few years.  49 y/o about to FIRE.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3349 on: July 18, 2017, 11:12:24 AM »
Been following the Site for a few years.  49 y/o about to FIRE.

Congrats!!