Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3315949 times)

MacGuffin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #750 on: July 26, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I'm 30 years old, single, and just starting to get into this frugal lifestyle.

I'm in a good starting position. I've got a Bachelor's degree in Science, no debt, and a modest $40,000/year job. I've always hated shopping, and have never had a strong drive to accumulate material goods. In the past year, I've given up my car, started bicycling everywhere, and lowered my rent by $100/month. I'd say my savings rate averages 30% already, but I want to keep bringing this up. My target cost of living is about $15,000/year or less, and I think it's attainable.

I've got three main spending goals I need to work on:

1.Rent: I have far more space than I need. I need to work on getting rid of things, so that I can move easily and live in small rooms easily.

2.Cellphone: A stupid, clown purchase that cost me about $3000 over the past 3 years. Getting rid of it this November.

3.Food: although I almost never buy things, I have a big weakness for convenience spending. I've eaten so much fast food during my twenties that I'm amazed I'm still at a reasonable body weight. During the past month, I've really focused on kicking this insane habit. The fast food is gone, but I still have a lot to do in the saving money on groceries department.

As far as careers go, I'm not sure retirement is my goal yet. I'm not planning to raise a family anytime soon, and I think the world of work still has plenty to offer me. I guess my goals are to build up a level of wealth that I can confidently leave my job for something lower-paying but more interesting, if I should ever feel the need to. I want to let my career flow in whatever direction it takes me, without having to worry so much about money.

Looking forward to it!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #751 on: July 27, 2013, 12:47:54 AM »
My real name is Richard, but filling out forms really does vex me. I started using Lastpass recently and it is quite good at filling out forms, but not perfect. Web designers all think they have to be original.

I joined this forum because I want to retrofit my 40 year old ranch house in Arizona and bring it to net zero energy. So many improvements could be made, but the problem is knowing how to maximize expenditures. I have a list of 20 things I could spend money money on. I did make the leap to solar a few years ago and that is paying off.

What I really need is the "mother of all spreadsheets" where I could list all the parameters of each possible  expenditure and then play "what if". I'll bet such a decision matrix exists somewhere, but so far I have had no luck finding it. Perhaps if it does not exist, members of this forum could create what we all need.
Have you considered an energy audit? There are several companies in the valley that offer this service and APS/SRP have rebates on the fees.
They help you identify where your areas of biggest energy waste are so you can prioritize where to spend your $$ first.
Good luck with your endavour!

PapaJoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #752 on: July 27, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »
I'm here to help my sister-in-law whose husband recently passed away.  As I shared in my first post on the YNAB vs. mint.com thread, she has a 5 ear old and gave birth to their twins the day after his funeral.  Truly a tragedy and she's in a financial mess.

She has a boatload of financial issues that need to be solved and has never handled the money/bills, etc.  Her husband did it all.  First lesson I learned trying to figure everything out is this: keep records of websites, passwords, financial tools, logins, etc  and share with your partner.  It's been an absolute bear trying to find the bills, pots of money, debts.  Her husband had 11 jobs in 15 years of marriage and trying the find 401ks, stock options, hidden benefits like potential for otherr life insurance has been tough. 

I hope hope that those reading this will help pay it forward by helping me to help my sister in law find a good path.

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #753 on: July 27, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »
Just want to introduce myself.

I can relate with alot of what MMM states and my wife and I of two years are saving around 60% of our income maybe more
making a combined about 150k a year.

We have never had issues with debt really.  We are both frugal and really just starting to get into investing with Investors Business Daily with some good success.

I like reading this blog for maybe someways we can fine tune our spending and maybe save 70% or more. 

n00z

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #754 on: July 29, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »
Howdy Gang!

Kansas Bred Boy living & working in the Chicagoland area.
Ive been reading A LOT about personal finance over the years, looking for others with a similar passion and thinking process.
Then, I found this blog and BAM, it has all clicked.

So, in a nutshell my wife and I have pulled ourselves out of some bad mistakes and some ridiculous debt.  We are currently saving over 30% of our income and in a few months will be in a spot to save over 50%.
All from a big nudge after reading this blog.

I do not live close to work due to better value and schools in the Chicago Suburbs, but I do not drive to work (another behavior change after reading MMM).
I ride my bike to our local train station and I ride a Divvy bike to my office in Downtown Chicago. Divvy bikes are a new bike sharing system in Chicago and it has changed my commuting life.  It's great.

So, Im glad to be here and look forward to learning more and contributing to this really rad community of like minded peoples.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #755 on: July 29, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
Hi, I'm a 33 yo woman in Denver, CO. I live here with my partner, soon to be wife (getting married in WA in the fall!). We are under contract to buy our first house. I'm a public school teacher (for now), she's a physician (somewhat mustachian already...).

I grew up in Brazil with German parents, and my parents and grandparents handed down lots of mustachian values. Somewhere along the way I forgot to think about them and spent too much money and bought too many things. I'm loving this site 'cos it's bringing me back to my origins, and I hope to become a lot more mustachian in my actions, not just my thoughts.

I'm doing this for myself but also in honor of Oma and Opa Langebach (grandma and grandpa) who lost EVERYTHING they had in  WWII, but rebuilt their lives through lots of badassity. They are the reason I don't have student loans. They are long gone, but I will remember them every step of this process.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:14:39 PM by worldstrad »

umm...Megs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #756 on: July 30, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »
Hello...

I'm a twenty something that got fed up with mainstream media planning tools assuming no one my age saves for retirement! ...Then I found MMM, and much happiness ensued.

<nods head politely>
Hello!

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #757 on: July 30, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
Hi I'm Silvie.

I'm from the Netherlands. Just learned about this blog last week and very excited to grow my money mustache! As a full time freelancer, I don't have a fixed monthly income, so it's quite a challenge but let's see how it goes :-)

FIence!

• Stubble
« Reply #758 on: July 30, 2013, 01:27:13 PM »
Hi,

It turns out my husband and I have been becoming Mustachian for the past couple of years, but just didn't realize there was a name for it, much less a movement. We met in expensive New England, and decided to move to the inexpensive Midwest to save some money. Since making a move that slashed over $1,000- a month off our monthly housing cost alone, the most common refrain we've heard from these friends and family members is a disdain-filled variation on, "How can you live like that?" ("How can you live in a such a small house?" "How can you live in a place without a Whole Foods?" "How can you live without cable?") I'm looking forward to learning more and getting to FI even more quickly, so that I can one day think, "How can you live paycheck to paycheck when you should be retired?"

April

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #759 on: July 30, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »
Hi,

the most common refrain we've heard from these friends and family members is a disdain-filled variation on, "How can you live like that?" ("How can you live in a such a small house?" "How can you live in a place without a Whole Foods?" "How can you live without cable?")

I get the same questions about living in Alaska. I tell people it's really not bad. Mostly people don't get it.

banjopete

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #760 on: July 30, 2013, 06:00:43 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been reading for a while now.  I started at the beginning and I'm up to "Dude, where’s my 7% Investment Return?" (I'm a very slow reader.)

I'm from Alberta Canada which is a VERY materialistic area because of all the oil.  I'm 30, and I'm working on changing my thinking patterns around to be more frugal so I can get out of debt and start saving.  From what I'm reading, I'm getting a later start than a lot of people on here, but I figure, I'm better off starting now than never.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you.

Cal

Hi Cal,

I'm new and also from Alberta (Edmonton), I looked on the mmm map and there aren't many in Alberta so happy to see another.  I went to school late, graduated at 32, owe the government money for my degree and diploma (I know, I know) but that 26k hit has taken me 14 months and counting to knock down, 6-ish months left and then it's snowball time I hope. 

I love the blog, and felt compelled to join in after enjoying the wicked thai curry squash soup yesterday and being about halfway through all the posts.

Keep it up and I'm glad to know not everyone is crazy out there, it gives me hope

teagnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #761 on: July 31, 2013, 10:27:29 AM »
Hello all!

Greetings from Palmer Lake, Colorado. That's the most anti-mustachian thing about me: I commute south to Colorado Springs and DH commutes to Denver. But we love it here and aside from commuting, try to live with a small footprint. I've been browsing the blog and forum for about two weeks and like what I read. Stumbled onto MMM because someone in YNAB's forums mentioned it. I am liking their software and all but this community is my favorite so far.

I've student loans I need to hack away at but am proud to say I sold my financed car a week ago when I first started reading here. I have a little left because it wasn't worth what I owed but the leftover is so much more do-able than the 10k that wasn't going anywhere. Now I'll use the pickup and while gas will be a bitch, it beats payments and super-grade gas for the one I sold. I will consider looking at the neighborhood school next year and see if reduced commuting compensates for the pay cut I'd take.

Meantime, glad to have stumbled onto these forums and MMM. Best to everyone!

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #762 on: July 31, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »
Hi all,
Been lurking for a while, but I've started participating in the discussions and thought I'd better introduce myself.

I've always been a bit of a minimalist, and always been more interested in living than working.  I discovered YMOYL in my early 20s, Jacob at ERE in my early 30s.  Problem was, I was a student forever, and never made any $ to save! Now that I finally have a good paying, stable job, I'm refocusing on FI.

Hub is 50 this year, I'm 40, so we're getting a late start, and we're in a high COL area in BC with some "structural" expenses that are high and that we can't see a way around right now: long commutes, expensive housing, etc.  But we're on the homesteading, DIY train too, which helps.  We're aiming to be able to go down to part-time work in 10 yrs (or as soon as we pay off a house), and retire in 15 or so.  Wish us luck!

MustacheMatt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #763 on: August 01, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
MustacheMatt here,

I stumbled across this blog and it felt like home.  I've been devouring at least one full blog page per day, and convinced my father to start reading too!  We've been laughing over the phone about so many Mustachian things we've done over the years.  It's heartwarming to know we're not alone in hating to wait in lines, wasting money, and finding happiness in less.

This blog has helped me realize that my financial skills can be honed even sharper, and i'm looking forward to an earlier retirement some day! 

MustacheMatt

P.S. - Very appreciative of the "how to tell the spouse" about this stuff, more is always welcome!

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #764 on: August 01, 2013, 02:45:03 PM »
Realized I never did this.

I'm Kevin
 >Hi Kevin
I'm 22, in Yankee Hill, Milwaukee, WI, USA.  Computer Engineer by degree.  I found MMM a couple years ago through HN and have been a lurker basically since then.  Now that I've graduated I'm trying to live a 'Mustache Lite' lifestyle while I figure out where I'm going to be in five years.  So far I'm doing well, on track to save 40-50% of my take home pay this year depending on how the next few months go.

Nice to meet Y'all.

P.S. Milwaukee - Chicago - Madison meeting in the works: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/wi-milwaukee-madioson-chicago-let's-meet-up!!/

stacey44

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #765 on: August 01, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »
Hello, I just found this site and find it quite fascinating and helpful.  After reading through some of the articles and posts, I know I have tons of work to do on our budget and so many ways I can improve.  My husband and I have been saving since we graduated from college.  You could say that we are big savers as well as big spenders.  I am retired and my husband would love to retire in 10 years.  We are both in our mid 40's and have two children ages 12 and 14.  I am shocked at how much wasteful spending we currently do and can't wait to use the tips I have learned so far from this site.

My first question:  I have read about the 4% rule and am using that to determine what our savings goal should be.  When I multiply our current yearly expenses by 25, it gives me a figure.  When I multiply that figure by the 4% withdrawal rate, I get exactly my yearly expenses.  But that figure will not cover my yearly expenses because we will have to pay taxes on that income which will be a large additional expense.  (Most of our retirement money will come from non-retirement savings accounts).  So, wouldn't I need more than a 4% withdrawal?

nanidude

« Reply #766 on: August 01, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »
Hi, I am Nanidude, an aspiring Mrs M.

I am married and we are young empty nesters, in our mid 40's, living in Colorado and ready for the next phase of our lives. So happy to have found MMM and the Mrs M! We are sick of working our high paying jobs in a crappy industry and are looking for advice.

We both make >$100K per year, combined 401k's of 350K (should be more but early 30's killed us and we had to start over), Portfolio Investments of 100K and personal cash savings of about 50k. We have only Mortgage debt and 1 stinky PLUS Student Loan of 26k left.

We have our primary home with a 169k mtg and a rental with a 75k mortgage that is rented but barely covers the mtg.

We hate our jobs but we are trying to figure out if we should quit or wait to get laid off so we can get the severance which would be a decent package. In our industry, lay offs are common though we have not been lucky yet, argh! So, should we quit these life sucking jobs and start new lower paying but fulflling jobs while we pay off our mtgs or do we konk ourselves on the head, be thankful we are making good money and keep working these crappy high paying jobs until we get laid off or pay off our mtgs, which ever comes first??????

Then, what is the best way for us to generate the most income from what we have already socked away while working these lower paying jobs or even, BIG DREAM, retiring now and getting on with the great life?

We are all about living green when possible, the great outdoors, frugal but awesome travel and finagling for huge discounts and always looking for a better deal. I plan to continue reading these forums and blogs searching for the answer and appreciate all of the great ideas, inspriration and advice.

Time to grab a cool beverage and keep on reading!

Xavier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #767 on: August 02, 2013, 11:36:16 AM »
Salutations Mustachians,

I'm early 40's, currently single and live in Canada.  Work for the gov't doing some sometimes cool stuff and sometimes ulcer-inducing, drive me over the edge stuff.  Earn a decent living, but I'm a long ways away from what MMM was making before he retired.  Thankfully I've been living below my means, so I'm trying to gain some ground.

I was told about this site from a colleague a few months ago.  I've decided to try to really buckle down and see if I can't clear off my mortgage this year.  I know this won't be universally agreed as the wisest idea given the present low interest rates, but it's a personal decision.  I decided to go the extra step of creating a profile to try to make myself more accountable and disciplined.  In general my behaviour falls short of pure-Mustachianism, even adjusted to my own personal situation, but my goal is just to meet my initial financial goal, and learn as much as I can along the way.

Cheers,

X

COMO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #768 on: August 02, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
Hi everyone,
Been reading for a while so I figured I may as well sign up.  I am married with no kids yet.  We moved from MO in 2007 to Grand Junction CO and have settled here.  Love reading the blog post and look forward to getting great input from you all as the Mrs. and I progress along or new financial plan.

Thanks
Garrett (COMO)

Yellow_Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #769 on: August 04, 2013, 03:33:02 PM »
Hello All,

I'm in my early fifties, work as a lawyer in central Jersey, and just found out about this place.  My goal is to retire, or semi-retire while teaching English in SE Asia.

Looking forward to learning about frugal living among other things while here.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #770 on: August 05, 2013, 07:21:43 AM »
My first question:  I have read about the 4% rule and am using that to determine what our savings goal should be.  When I multiply our current yearly expenses by 25, it gives me a figure.  When I multiply that figure by the 4% withdrawal rate, I get exactly my yearly expenses.  But that figure will not cover my yearly expenses because we will have to pay taxes on that income which will be a large additional expense.  (Most of our retirement money will come from non-retirement savings accounts).  So, wouldn't I need more than a 4% withdrawal?

Sort of, really you should include taxes as one of your expenses, and you should multiply your total expenses (what you spend + taxes) by 25 to get the number you're shooting for. And taxes might be less than you expect, if you retire your "income" would probably be less and might drop you down a tax bracket or two.

If you want a more detailed answer you should probably post your question as its own topic in either the General Discussion or Ask A Mustachian sections. Welcome!

omegashop333

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #771 on: August 06, 2013, 02:33:25 AM »
Hi,
Plans: Retiring early.
Bye

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #772 on: August 06, 2013, 02:27:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm in my late 20s, married, no kids (yet), with a software job and a high savings rate. I have been living a mostly-Mustachian lifestyle before I even knew what that meant. I'm looking forward to conversing with you all about the journey to financial freedom.

peezy80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #773 on: August 06, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »
Hey what's up everyone my name is Perry, I'm 32 years old. Just found out about the mustache community about 2 weeks ago and have been hooked ever since. After reading so many of the post I now have some direction on where I want to go in life financially and as a person. Hope to talk to some of you soon !!!!

johnnyp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #774 on: August 06, 2013, 10:36:32 PM »
JohnnyP is the name, Financial Independence is the goal.  My god I have certainly done things ass backwards up until this point.  That's all changing as of 10 days ago when I was told about this blog by a good friend.  This shift in mindset will change our lives.

Here's to the journey!

MadeInMansfield

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ButlerTronic
« Reply #775 on: August 07, 2013, 04:43:01 AM »
Hi Everyone

I'm Tim, a long time listener, first time caller.

I'm currently working out how to take the next step into early retirement and financial independence. I'm married with no debts, no kids and no mortgage. Currently on track to retire in about ten years time aged 50 but I would *LOVE* to bring that date forward if I could.

I live in the beautiful county of Worcestershire (home of the sauce) in the UK. Looking forward to sharing some tips on living better for less.

Tim

PlayOutside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #776 on: August 07, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
hi!
      I am 39, married with 4 kids that I like to make "PlayOutside"!  I started a journal and am looking forward to being more accountable to myself. It's not an excuse, but I feel like we have been on auto-pilot for the last 10 years- raising children is like that, I guess. (too bad that we weren't auto-piloting 1/2 our paychecks to investments every month....)
 Well, all the stars have finally aligned and here we are at MMM- so I'm ready to start my journey!

och4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #777 on: August 08, 2013, 08:43:41 AM »
Hello all!
I am came from the yahoo article and I have been none stop reading since than. I am 26 year old, male, and I was always kind of frugal and had a hint of Mustachian in me. I just didn't know how to hone my skills. I really wish I started earlier, but oh well, I have been saving 25% to 35% before taxes and after for a long time. And now I am aiming for 50% from my take home pay and then 80% is the best goal. I need to move and start commuting by bike first [I am already actions of executing this plan]. However I believe I am a weekend warrior as I try to live my weekends as if I am actually retired without a care in the world. I bike a lot and I have a nice list of things to do and improve on. This alone has made me truly more happy than I have been for a long while. Saturday night? No problem, we got Sunday. Sunday night? No problem, we got a nice book to read.

It's so nice. :)

TRBeck

• Stubble
« Reply #778 on: August 10, 2013, 02:37:53 PM »
Hello, all.

My wife and I have been talking about a more Mustachian lifestyle for some time, for a variety of reasons, even before we read any of the blog. Having read most of it in recent weeks, we are getting the ship righted. Two kids, some stupidity debt, no student loan debt, and no mortgage (renters for now). The road ahead is neither easy nor particularly short, but we both make decent money and have some skills that will help us a great deal - I make our family's soap, and I cook well enough that we prefer insourcing the cooking, and both of us are capable learners on other DIY projects.

Good to be here. Lots of knowledge on the forum, and I look forward to learning and contributing where I can.

Best,
T

SonicReducer22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #779 on: August 11, 2013, 11:00:20 PM »
Hello,

Long time reader, first time forum poster. Since June 2012, I have started to take control of my finances after a few years of being a financial idiot. I have been reading blogs like MMM and I finally wanted to ask some questions. I WANT to be financially independent. I can go either way on the retire early part (It would be nice if that was an option eventually). Anyway, I wanted to see how my current financial standing stacks up (see my one post so far) and to see if I can get any recommendations on how be better, how to get better.

Really excited to learn more from everyone on how to be financially sound. I love hearing other people's stories of triumph in this area.

-Sonic

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #780 on: August 12, 2013, 01:29:52 PM »
Hi everyone.  Canadian user here... silly I had no idea a forum existed (been a lurker on the site for about 3mths now) :)

Bit about me and my spouse.  We live in a fairly expensive (big no no, but it is the cheapest house on the block, lol) area outside of Toronto (Oakville) and both have done fairly well career wise.  I'm in IT, she's in Finance.  We have a 2yr old son and a newborn daughter, we're both 34 right now and projecting FI by about 40-42.

Funny even just as short as 1yr back my think and objectives in life were totally off wack... so glad I got my head straight and have some very solid financial and life goals now.

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #781 on: August 12, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »
I've been posting a bit around the forums for a while, but never properly introduced myself: I'm 36, married (I've introduced my husband to MMM and he's theoretically on board), and already somewhat frugal except for two major things--food (lots of eating out AND an obscene grocery bill) and having resumed long, unprofitable studies in my mid-30s. No debt except a mortgage.

Following MMM advice, we're doing our best to beat our food budget into submission; we're also addressing a lot of other items (I've already switched cellphone providers, and will probably re optimize at year end; we're working on energy consumption, shopping, gifting, etc.) The PhD is at present not on the chopping block, however... Time to FI estimated to 14 years!

glennstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #782 on: August 15, 2013, 06:53:23 AM »
Hey everyone, My name is Glenn and I'd call myself a mustachian work in progress.  I'm from Baltimore, MD.  and work for a not-for-profit here.  I found the mmm blog and forum a month ago and have really benefited from the posts and community.   

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #783 on: August 15, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »
Hi. I'm Jeff, 39, from Louisiana. Married 17 years with 4 kids, was becoming Mustachian before I knew what it was!

Looking forward to sharing and learning here. I spent 17 years working in the IT field, and after all of that, I managed to scrape out of debt on less than $30K a year. We paid off both cars and the credit card by living frugally. I started biking to work in 2009, and after a year, got hit by a car that ran a red light and ended up with $100K in medical bills and a titanium femur.

When I was in the hospital, I realized I was never going to get ahead and I needed to re-think my life, so I quit my IT job and got hired on making 50% more at the same company! Now I'm saving 20% of my income, and am trying to get more. I'm behind the game, but I'm catching up! This year we put a new roof on the house with cash, and we're still saving! Can't wait to see where we go, I'm hoping to pay off the house in less than 10 years and be FIRE in 15.

I'm going back to bike commuting this year. Because that's how Mustachians roll!

Gentrie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #784 on: August 15, 2013, 10:56:02 PM »
Hey there! Nice to get to know some fellow frugality-minded peeps! I've searched for a blog like this for ages and am so glad that there are other people with the willingness to live cheaply and invest. Cheers to increasing our wealth!!

I'm a 22 year-old guy living in San Diego (originally from Minnesota) with a knack for computers and music.

My story: I grew up with a frugal family, so saving came easily. I graduated from a community college at 19 with a free AA degree through the PSEO program in MN. I had no direction, though, so I worked for two years and managed to save about $30k by the time I turned 21. I got sick of the small town I was living in and bought a ticket to Australia. I lived and travelled Oz for about 6 months before breaking my femur while snowboarding. I returned home, healed for several months, and embarked on my first long distance bike trip across the midwest. Eight-hundred miles later, I packed up my bike and hopped a bus for San Diego. Now I'm searching for my passions and looking for my life's next steps.

It's a pleasure to meet y'all and share this journey of life with you!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #785 on: August 16, 2013, 06:52:43 AM »
Hey there! Nice to get to know some fellow frugality-minded peeps! I've searched for a blog like this for ages and am so glad that there are other people with the willingness to live cheaply and invest. Cheers to increasing our wealth!!

I'm a 22 year-old guy living in San Diego (originally from Minnesota) with a knack for computers and music.

Welcome! You into computers and music, huh? Do you perform, record, or both? What kind of Mustachian setup do you use? Ever heard of Ubuntu Studio?

Also, broken femurs suck. Welcome to the club... ;)

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #786 on: August 16, 2013, 04:16:43 PM »
Hi, I'm new to MMM and I like what I'm seeing.

I'm here because we really want our family to become financially independent while we're still young enough to enjoy it.  We're ready to get serious. 

A little about me: mid 30's, married with 2 young kids; only debt is a mortgage that we're paying off quickly (we still owe about $90k on a $235k home).  I work very part time from home.  DH has a fairly short commute (9 miles) and we live in suburbia.  We live below our means and feel strongly about not taking on debt for anything (this mortgage is the last of it - forever).  I feel like for our place in life, we're doing pretty well --- but there is always room for improvement so I'm hoping to pick up lots of good tips and ideas from y'all.

I look forward to participating in the forum.  Thanks!

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #787 on: August 18, 2013, 10:15:26 AM »
Hello!

I'm 40 years old, was raised to spend less than I make from a young age and have been saving my working adult life.  I still work but reached my version of what I consider financial independence a few years ago (living expenses <= 3% of liquid assets). I love my job and don't see a need to quit any time soon but just knowing that I can walk away at any time is incredibly empowering.

I came across the site after seeing the Yahoo Finance story on Mr. Money Mustache.  It really struck a chord with me. I live in Southern California, which is a bit of a hotbed of conspicuous consumption. Many times I felt like the only one spending less than he made.  Many of the people I know have made good money most of their working life and don't have anything saved at all, and look at my relatively frugal ways strangely. It can feel difficult to fit in at times.  Glad I found this group!

Mike

asty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #788 on: August 18, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »
Hi all,

I'm 30 years old, actually trying to reach FI. Living in France (and French), so a lot of differences but a common goal.
Working and hopefully independent in less than 10 years. No mustache yet but I may try it one day.

Came across MMM through Jacob's ERE and various researches about investing and life goals.
Took me a few months to go from reading to actually subscribe here.

See you on the forums.

funnybunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #789 on: August 18, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »
Hey there. New member here. So that verification part took several attempts. Whats the answer to financial freedom? Who knows?

Anywho, I read a few articles and thought I might join the forum.

debtfreeoneday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Personal Finance and Debt Blogger
    • A Disease Called Debt
« Reply #790 on: August 19, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »
Hello!

I'm from England and live with my husband and young daughter. We're in a lot of debt but we're paying our way out of it! I am documenting our progress in my blog, A Disease Called Debt.

I'm always looking for inspiration and other people's stories on how they paid their way out of debt. Also, I'm interested in ways to make extra income, save money and generally anything frugal. I hope that when we're out of debt, we can save as much money as possible so we will finally feel in control of our finances.

scottydog

• Stubble
« Reply #791 on: August 19, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
Hi, I'm Scott.  My wife and I live in Montreal and our kids are 5, 3, and 1 year old.  We've been following the blog for about 4 months now, gradually reading through from the beginning, and are excited to learn from MMM, Mrs MMM and so many other intelligent and considerate people.

mango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #792 on: August 19, 2013, 05:01:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

Been lurking for a few months now on the blog and forum and I've finally gotten to a place where I actually have money to worry about and look after. I can't say that I'll be the ultimate mustachian but I sure want to try. The appeal of spending efficiently is what drew me to MMM's blog and forum. Not sure what goals I have now, I feel like they're changing constantly but I would love to not have to rely on a shitty job for financial security. I'm 24 and my boyfriend is 25 and we're both supporting each other towards a more mustachian lifestyle (especially considering how we keep seriously talking about marriage in the future...he's definitely a keeper). It feels so strange to actually get to post something now!

=]

mcsemike99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #793 on: August 19, 2013, 05:43:58 PM »
Hi,
I'm Mike and recently found your blog.  I have already been reading Jacob's blog and moved on to yours.  I really enjoy the articles.  I'm not in your league, as I didn't even really start saving until I was 30.  I won't be retiring until I'm 60, but we are well on our way to FI.

sloth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #794 on: August 19, 2013, 08:26:48 PM »
Hi all,
I have been lurking here for a while, but figured I would register so I could add my 2 cents to the great discussions that go on here. Its really great to have found a community of people that have similar views on consumerism, because most of the people around me are ridiculous. DH and I are fairly mustachian, and by my calculations are about 5yrs our from FI. That knowledge really helps keep us going when work gets frustrating and DH's job security is a bit questionable as well, but with our 'stache and no debt and living far beneath our means, neither of us are particularly concerned. This is definitely a great way of life.

Viva la mustache!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #795 on: August 19, 2013, 10:43:51 PM »
No one will read this...

But I'm 24, grad student at a big school in a small midwestern town. I've never owned a car because I don't need one yet; I currently get around by bike, bus, and very rarely Zipcar. Working on eating out less and saving more. :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #796 on: August 20, 2013, 02:33:39 AM »
No one will read this...

But I'm 24, grad student at a big school in a small midwestern town. I've never owned a car because I don't need one yet; I currently get around by bike, bus, and very rarely Zipcar. Working on eating out less and saving more. :)

I've read it. It's quite funny, by putting up signs that say "no one will read this", "do not read", and my favourite "do not touch" what do you think will happen?

As a somewhat related aside, this thread has been viewed over 45 thousand times. By anywhere between 45000 individuals.....or it could be just me looking at it 45000 times.

flowrider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #797 on: August 20, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »
Hi Folks, 40 year old New Zealander with two young kiddies. Learning a lot from the blog and now will start on the forum. Have been recently working on ways to supplement our income with easy part-time side line gigs which is new for me but a lot of fun and a new challenge. My main goal is to knock off our mortgage as soon as possible, that would be a huge weight off the shoulders. I hate to be in debt so the mortgage is enemy no.1.
Also in to sea fishing from my kayak which I think is a super mustachian past time which provides food for the family which would cost mega bucks from the store (seen the price of fresh fish lately) and I get a decent workout.

Fitzy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #798 on: August 21, 2013, 12:35:34 AM »
Hello.  I'm Fitzy from Southern California.  I should be in bed as I need to be up in a few hours to do my 7-to-5, but am being kept up instead reading MMM's blogs so I can quit my 7-to-5.

Looking forward to perusing the forums and join in if I can.

eudaimonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #799 on: August 21, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »
I'm a 35 year old from Northern California and wanted to contribute to this community which has been very inspiring to me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!