Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3316000 times)

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #450 on: March 08, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »
Hello,

I've been lurking since September 2012, having found MMM through a brief mention on the blog Funny About Money.  I spent lots of money of lots of stupid stuff in my 20's, though I always avoided credit card debt.  In my 30's I'm ready to buckle down and save and invest.  Since I started reading MMM I have maxed out my 401k deductions, and increased my other savings.  I save with the intent that I may someday need to take time off to care for family members, or I may get older and be subject to job discrimination.  Either way, it's something I'd rather plan for now than worry about later.  Also, saving/investing keeps me from accumulating useless possessions.  I have a tendency to accumulate clutter, so this keeps me calmer.

The majority of my real life friends are spendthrifts, with no appreciation for not buying everything they can.  Even those that shop carefully still can't help but buy stuff.  They tend to think I'm rich because I don't complain about credit card debt.  I really appreciate the different point of view I read here.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #451 on: March 08, 2013, 08:18:54 PM »
Hello fabulous Mustachians!  I'm Kristin and I feel like I belong with my own kind here.  I'm married and have 2 young boys.  I work part time and I am hoping my husband will get to enjoy the freedom of only working part time in 10 years or less! 

Knightblaze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #452 on: March 09, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »
Hi all.

My name is Anies, been lurking and found this site on a depressed evening searching for answers to my woes.  Concrete advise here and a real pick me up in terms of trying to turn things around in my life.

I used to be pretty good with my money, my father drilled it into my head at a young age to be responsible which I half followed. I have always been a responsible individual when it came to paying my obligations and keeping a low balance in terms of debt.

I was also young and didn't think about retirement or future planning so I didn't really keep a savings account and the 401k I did have was tapped as I did want to transfer the small amount(2500) to roll it into a different one with my new job but being young and stupid it never made it there.

Essentially life flew by,  at 25 I met my future wife,  got married at 28, we had our first child 20 months ago and now at 31 I feel so down and out. I have nothing for retirement and not sure if I should enroll in my companies 401k now(fully vested) or wait until my credit card is paid off(further delaying savings for retirement).

After we got married we scrapped the honeymoon as we were supposed  to close on a condo which fell through a week afterwards due to the association not wanting to deal with fha(which wasn't revealed to us at the time of attorney review). Lost a bit of money ey from fees and inspections and after a few more months of living with my in laws my wife couldn't deal with it and we decided to rent an apartment.

Living at the apartment was great, the excitement of being out on our own and we were doing quite well. Given the this was slightly after we were married I added my wife to my health plan and kept working without really noticing any change in pay. Suffice to say when I brought this up to human resources they wanted 7months of back pay to cover their loss on premiums which hurt. I was at this point forced to live on less cash and more credit and seriously got buried in a huge amount of debt. We were also forced out of our apartment due to hurricane Irene and lost belongings and are now essentially staying with my in laws again.

We have been here for 14 months,  wife was unemployed and caring for our son. My original plan to pay off 15k in debt was essentially on hold as I had to help cover baby expenses. Luckily she was accepted for a job 2 weeks ago and my expenses have been freed up. This past month I've sent 900 to my credit card and am sitting at 13.3k with a goal of 8900 by August and hopefully 3-4k come January.

I can't help but feel depressed at times and I know I'm tackling this the best I can(leaving myself essentially enough for gas every 2 weeks) and the rest going to the cars(now just mine) both are leases(can't get out of them) , cell phone, storage unit, insurance, credit card(1) and my student loan. My wife's expenses are her car, student loan and daycare which basically kills her income for the time being(1k a month).

We have about 13k in savings left over from tax returns and our previous attempt at home ownership.  I just feel like that even if I dig myself out of credit card debt I'll never be able to own a home,  let alone try and save for retirement. I've also been trying to find a higher paying job to help me accelerate this process in order to get on track.

I'm sorry for rambling and intended this to be short and sweet but just felt good to get it off my chest.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:39:01 PM by Knightblaze »

LilacVioletIris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #453 on: March 10, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »
Hi, my name is Lilac. I am 36 and DH of 2.5 years is 41.

I was introduced to Mr. Money Mustache through a post on mothering.com as I have been trying to figure out how to save money on our telecommunications portion of our budget. DH and I started following a cash flow plan about 15 months ago, saved a $1000 for emergencies, and have been whittling away at $157K of our debts (mostly mine before I married DH - credit cards, student loans, mortgage).

DH and I want to increase our stash!

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #454 on: March 10, 2013, 12:27:21 PM »
Welcome to the family, Lilac and DH!  You will learn a lot through Mr. MM as well as the forum!  I love the forum because it shows me we are not allow!  Keep up the good work!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #455 on: March 11, 2013, 12:35:49 AM »
I have probably breached some forum etiquette by posting elsewhere on the blog before offering a proper introduction. Well, here goes.

The thought of ER didn't really occur to me until about 5 years ago - I somehow stumbled across a Canadian blog, Free at 45, in which the blog creator was bound and determined to retire by 45 years old. Quite simply, a spark was kindled in my brain- I knew I hated my job, but just assumed I would be doing it until 60 or so, just like my father before me. I knew my wife and I were growing a nice "stache", thanks to good incomes, a small mortgage, and a seemingly genetic tendancy towards frugality. Thus I started devouring every shred of info the ol' intrawebs could offer up on the subject of ER/FI. Its how I eventually found my way here I suppose.

As our mortgage has dwindled, and our incomes haven risen in the last 5 years, our "stache" has swelled to the point where I am now ready to make the same changes that MMM has - around this time next year I intend to inform my employers that I will no longer be offering my services to them - I will be 42. My wife supports me, although she is adamant that she wants to continue to work (she actually insists that she likes her job). I don't know if I will be "retired" or simply a "kept man" - I don't think I'll care. Though to be honest, managing our soon-to-be seven figure "stache" will now be a much bigger focus of mine - I view it as I would a sprawling garden - it needs tending and care for it to continue to (hopefully) flourish. Dividends will largely replace my current salary, so I will probably consider investment income as "mine", while my wife will continue in her burgeoning career - I am not sure at which point I will be able to convince her to join me in an world free from such indignaties as alarm clocks, deadlines and commuting.

I read alot of posts here that inspire me - younger people who are just embarking on the same journey that I have almost completed. When I was 30, the very thought of ER was a pipe dream - but 10 years of Mustachianism, from 2003 to the present, has allowed me the opportunity to experience a different kind of life.

On another forum I frequent, I related in great detail an encounter I had with a pod of orcas while I was sea kayaking - let me just say that the impact that this moment had upon me was profound in that it made me question how many other moments we are all missing out on while we are slumped in our cubicles, or (in my case) slogging in the mud at the bottom of a hole trying to repair a damaged sanitary pipe. I may never experience as breathtaking an event as when I felt my kayak rise up a few feet because a 10000 pound bull orca had swum beneath my fragile boat - yes, the mass of the animal displaced enough water to lift my boat - but I want more TIME and FREEDOM to seek out similar wonders. The world is full of them.

ER isn't for everyone, but for many of us it really is the best path to happiness. I wish each and everyone on this board success in their own journeys.

fat bruce lee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #456 on: March 11, 2013, 08:54:12 PM »
Herrowwww!

I'm 33 and from the San Francisco Bay Area, born and raised.  I happened onto the MMM site from Get Rich Slowly in a post about other sites/blogs people read.  Worked out because I probably would have dropped $20K+ on a used Tacoma when I didn't need it.  I'm glad my hesitation held me back from doing it, then stumbling upon MMM's site. 

I think I'm fortunate to have that lightbulb go off for me to get my shit together.  I'm definitely fortunate to have a job that pays well.  Will have to maximize my efforts pre FI!  Its allowed me to be essentially debt free as of early this year. 

I'm combing through the posts and making my notes here and there.  One thing for sure is its pretty damn hard to find a used practical car for short money.  But I'll be glad to get rid of my baby SUV and get a bike for my commute to the train. 

Looking to celebrate milestones as they come.

Lynx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #457 on: March 12, 2013, 04:55:56 AM »
Hi, My name is Beth. I live in NC on the coast. I'm 50 and in nursing school. I got here from ERE. I love the forums. I have a bike, no car, so don't punch me in the face (Today anyway, we just met).

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #458 on: March 12, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Katie and I live in Washington, DC. I'm originally from the Midwest, so DC prices still make my mouth drop open at times. I've been reading personal finance blogs for about two years now and have slowly turned my financial situation around. I paid off my student loan debt from graduate school a few weeks ago and am currently working on getting rid of my last piece of debt - my undergrad student loan. I live alone in a studio apartment and take the bus/metro everywhere. I have a good job and work a few shifts a week as a waitress to pay down my debt faster.

I heard about MMM through a family member who is also trying to pay down debt. I've enjoyed reading the posts these past few months!

My immediate goal for this year is the eliminate all of my debt. After that, I will focus on getting my emergency fund up to 6 months of living expenses (currently at 2 months). I haven't looked beyond that at this point because it really helps me to have one main goal and put all of my efforts towards it!

Since reading MMM and other PF blogs/sites, I now find things I grew up thinking were "normal" (i.e. huge cable bill and multiple debts) as anything but!

mommyNiece

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #459 on: March 13, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »
Hello!  How ironic that I picked today to join .... I'm KatieSSS relative that pointed her to MMM.  I've been lurking around the blog since before the end of last year.  I've finally made the first step and put together a budget.  I even paid off one credit card - only to get the new statement and see a new charge.  My husband is being drug along and has no idea really what I am doing.  It will literally be a "show me the money" moment to get him on board.  Not that I am anywhere  near where I need to be.  I will likely not be able to retire until I really hit retirement age and that saddens me.  But now that I have found this blog I have hopes that I will be able to retire debt free.

Recent changes:  I'm taking the bus to work 97% of the time (its free).  I've set up a budget - but just this month and have adapted a money envelope system.  As I said - I have paid off one credit card ... 2 more to go.  I'm pretty sure I will be able to pay another card off before the end of the year and get the 2nd one 1/2 paid off.  A good start but definitely not a badA$$.

Thanks everyone and MMM for showing me the errors of my horrible spending habit ways!

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #460 on: March 14, 2013, 05:10:14 AM »
Hi All -

I found the blog a couple of weeks ago and read it all in a couple of days.  44 years old and recently retired, I'm married with a preschool-aged kid.  I was in a ridiculously overpaid profession, had an IPO in my early 30s and an extremely fortuitous real estate investment, all of which combined has left me with a net worth north of $5MM excluding primary residence and a fully-funded 529.   

I would call myself situationally mustachian - for example I got rid of cable in 1994, and I drive a 15 year old compact car.   On the other hand, I have indulged some very non-mustachian impulses now and then but could still generally pull it off living on 25% of my old salary. 

Anyway I like the mustachian concept and while there's much I won't implement, I generally like to tread lightly on the earth, eschew consumerism, and hopefully raise the boy in a similar way.

snshijuptr

• Stubble
« Reply #461 on: March 15, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »
Hi my name is Melissa and today I am graduating my PhD. With that part of our life journey over, my husband and I are reaffirming our commitment to living frugally. Ever aince I heard of the concept of Financial Independence, I have loved the idea of acheiving it early. My husband on the other hand sees himself working for the rest of his life. I would rather work part time and part year to free up time fto spend with our kids (we have one now and plan for a second)  and travel.

So with my graduation, we have enough saved up for about a 10% down payment on a house around here, but I have crappy grad student income history and no job currently lined up. Our plan is to both look for new jos cloaer to our families (we have a lot of applications out) and temporarily move in qith my parents while we add to our savings, build an income history, and then find a house.

We currebtly live with 1 car (a beloved Honda Fit) and have the cash saved up to buy a second. We also have enough cash saved up to pay off my "high" interest student loans.  My hope ia that we can align our jobs and housing to either commute by bike or carpool and uuse the car money to pay off my husbands student loans.

Mr HighFalutin HillFolk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #462 on: March 15, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
cheerio y'all.

i purt'near bankrupted myself keepin up with them Joneseses...them Joneses...aww them folk next door.

now i'm a just a chap trying to recover from blind consumerism.

higginst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #463 on: March 15, 2013, 11:38:52 AM »
Whoops! Didn't introduce myself before I started posting. Anway, I'm higginst and I live in a small city (under 20,000 people) in northern British Columbia, Canada. I'm interested in becoming more mustachian. My wife, not so much. I have a 4 year old son (almost 5) and we plan to have more kids in the next couple years.

I'm working on becoming more mustachian to eliminate the debt, start saving, and once my wife is working as well, hopefully have enough to retire by 35 (currently 25).

P Dubya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #464 on: March 15, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »
Hey y'all

Names Paul. I live in Melbourne, Australia. Originally from England. I love the site. I'm buckling down and currently plotting my ten year exit strategy. Looking forward to getting stuck in elbows deep with y'all.

Peace x

DaveSch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dave's Homemade Radios
« Reply #465 on: March 15, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
Hi Everyone.
My name is Dave and I live near Corning, NY. I've been visiting here a couple times a day for the last
two or so weeks. I feel at home here as everyone says that I am frugal. I will relate a story about
something that happened 20 years ago or so.

My brother was visiting, and he went over to visit the neighbor lady, an older person, very nice. Couldn't
have had a nicer neighbor. She said to him, "I don't mean nuthing by this, but your brother is kind of
tight, isn't he?" She was referring to the time I offered to take a payment of a bill she had and deliver it
at the same time I was making a payment, so she could save a stamp.

Well, my brother had to tell her the way HE saved money. She never brought up the subject again.
I was really sad when she moved out.

Anyway, that is where I am coming from and I look forward to posting now and again.

Dave

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #466 on: March 16, 2013, 02:08:34 AM »
Aloha

I'm Clif, I retired at 39 in 1999 and moved to Hawaii. I am also a retirement/money forum junkie MMM will be my 5th or 6th. Early-Retirement.org is my main forum hang out.
In the last couple of years I've been buying real estate in Vegas, where I met areblspy. I still plan on buying more there but I am more cautious.

jrs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #467 on: March 16, 2013, 08:57:27 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Glad to be here.  Just started reading the MMM blog, and the philosophy really clicks with me.  I want to take a moment to say a big thank you to MMM for writing! 

Starting from the ground up with saving towards FI.  Early thirties, single, living in Henderson (suburb of Las Vegas) NV.  Got the bicycle up and running last weekend after years of neglect in the garage, and fortunately just moved to a place close enough to bike to work (twice a week for now, but more as fitness improves).

Cheers!
-jrs

Helsinki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello from Boston, MA!
« Reply #468 on: March 16, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »
Jusmoing in to to say hello from Metrowest Boston, MA. Really excited to balance our budget and do what it takes to become financially independent.

Love MMMs philosophy and ideas...

Looking forward to connecting,

Mr & Mrs Helsinki.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
Howdy
« Reply #469 on: March 17, 2013, 04:19:47 PM »
Hi all,

I to took me silly long time to read through all the posts and get here, but here I am at last! My name is Sarah and i am finishing up a Veterinary pathology residency before embarking on a PhD, so I am ridiculously over-educated and underpaid.  Still I'm much happier than working in practice, so I think it's all worth it. 

I'm more naturally Mustachian than the Mr., but despite his love of cable and reluctance to get rid of any of his "pretties"  he's a pretty good sport about my efforts on the financial front.  In fact we're like a reversed traditional family since I handle all the finances, while he probablly doesn't even know how to log into our bank account, and he spends his time keeping us in delicious food on the cheap.

FI is a long way off, but this place keeps me motivated to undertake the steps I know i should be doing anyways (I'm a born procrastinator and often need a kick in the pants/punch in the face).

Excited to finally jump into the forums :)
Sarah

Jwilliamson22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #470 on: March 18, 2013, 08:51:39 AM »
Hey! My name is Jordan and I am currently plotting my world take over. It started with paying off 17k in student loans in 6 months, purchasing a duplex and living in one side, setting aside an EF, fully funding my Roth and contributing up to my company match. This has all occured within 2012.

I am excited to be part of the forum officially instead of just browsing the blog!

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #471 on: March 18, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »
Now that I have over 50 posts here, I suppose an introduction is in order...

I am brewer12345 and I am an alco - whoops, wrong group.  I am pushing 40 and so is my wife, two kids at 6 and 8.  We live in suburban Denver and I am a cube dweller at the moment.  I am a finance type with a background in credit analysis and financial institutions.  Planning to split from the day job early next year and join my wife in being self-employed with a lot less aggravation, stress and taxes and a whole lot more time with family and doing what I want. 

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #472 on: March 18, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
Howdy,

Happy to say I am retiring at the end of this month.  Discovered MMM about a year ago but have had the same basic philosophy since growing up. 

Mama Minou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #473 on: March 19, 2013, 09:16:10 PM »
Hi,
I'm Mama Minou. I live in the PNW with my sweetie and our two teen boys. We live on an "urban farmette" with more animals than we should.
I'm a new, midlife Mustachian...better late than never!

easton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #474 on: March 19, 2013, 10:04:14 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I'm 25 and live in PA. Found this site a few weeks ago after I started trying to tighten up my budget due to the Federal furloughs coming. I work for the DOD so I'm in line for a 20% pay cut. Realized that wow, I've been so foolish with my spending habits, so trying to turn that ship around and get on the right financial track. Face is looking pretty bruised right now from all the punches, but hoping to grow a nice mustache one day :p

-Easton

purpleqgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello from Kenmore, WA
« Reply #475 on: March 22, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »
Hello, everyone!  I'm Just A Dumb Cat living a few miles from the MMM meetup that happened in the Seattle area a few weeks back.  I'm just about to turn 40, and trying to get back on track for an early-ish retirement after wiping quite a bunch of my savings and net worth out through the big mistake of buying a house in California back during the boom years!

I found this site a couple of months ago (thanks, Reddit!), and have already gone from a not-so-bad savings rate to well over 50%, moved some cash on hand to paying down my mortgage for some better returns, and am more aggressively pruning back the wasteful spending on 'stuff' that I've not seen much return on.  This site is fantastic!  I look forward to jumping out of my current career and in to early 'retirement' in 5-7 years.

tkirk62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #476 on: March 23, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »
I am a university student studying kinesiology. My dream is to be FI by 35 at the latest, then start a large health and wellness facility consisting of a gym, physiotherapist, chiropractor, dietician, etc so there can be one place where people go to improve their health or recover from a health problem.

I have already got a good start on my stash and last year received about $150 in dividends in my first year of saving. This year I want that to be around $300.

I also have a big interest in starting my own little business, starting as a side business in the summers while I'm in school and hopefully growing it to be something noteworthy by the time I am working full time. I have been seeking opinions and advice about that here

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/university-student-thinking-about-a-side-business-during-summer/

finance_hacking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #477 on: March 23, 2013, 07:35:20 PM »
Howdy all,

I've been reading the MMM blog since the first week it came out, so I figured it was finally time to jump into the forum and contribute to the conversation.

I'm in my mid-20s, live in the midwest in a very low cost-of-living area and I work with computer/network security, which is a very lucrative career right now.  This boils down to me being able to save a huge portion of my income.

I saved up a very large travel fund in order to be able to go on a 'mini-retirement' trip with my girlfriend.  We plan to travel all around the world.  I'm going to be approaching my employer about an alternative working arrangement, but if that doesn't work out we'll just both quit our jobs and travel until we run out of money (in that fund only- we won't be touching the 'stache).

I like to have the option of being nomadic - either traveling for pleasure or else relocating for the right career move, so I am focused on investing my 'stache in index funds and the like.  I do not plan on buying any real estate and becoming a landlord.

I also love to bike!

TheDood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #478 on: March 26, 2013, 08:36:55 PM »
Hi Everybody!

I discovered the site about 2 months ago and decided I had to start at the first post and read them all for my Mustache basic training.  I'm now signed up on the mailing list and figured it was time to join the community as well.  I won't bother with my whole backstory and everything here, but just thought I should at least post here to say Hello :)

Janja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #479 on: March 27, 2013, 09:50:48 AM »
Hello, everybody, I am so glad I finally found Mr. Money Mustache. What fun!

My husband and I are grandparents, but we got kind of a late start financially for various reasons and have been "playing catchup." As I read the MMM blog, I am thrilled to discover that my husband has already been doing many of the practices. No longer will I chuckle at his taking the same lunch to work every day for the last few decades. And my admiration only increases as I recognize his wisdom in staying completely out of debt (except for house, which we paid off last month), living close to work, keeping expenses low, and so on. We now have our stash, and he will take "early retirement" next year at the age of 65 (it all depends on when you begin, right?)

I am interested in learning more and more about proudly cutting expenses (ignoring my friends who say I "deserve" a housekeeper, etc.), although I do have a few challenges. I would LOVE to give up my gym membership and get a bike, but I have multiple sclerosis, and my lack of balance makes it impossible for me to ride--so I swim at the Y in a saltwater pool.

I do have high hopes, however, for figuring out the most Mustachian ways to meet the challenges in my life. Here's one that has always stumped me: I look SO much better with blonde streaks in my hair. I mean, really, I can't imagine feeling okay with what is now my natural color. I have no problem at all with cutting my own hair, I think it looks just fine, but I have never been able to highlight my own hair as well as a salon. I wish there was an easy way to give up this annoying expense.

Okay, I suddenly realized that I am making the need to keep highlights in my hair equivalent to having a chronic autoimmune condition--but surely other Mustachian ladies will understand! :)

Freda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #480 on: March 27, 2013, 01:04:45 PM »
Howdy.  I'm 37, hubby is 45.  I work in behavior health, he works for the government.  Our kids are 25 and 18, neither lives with us.  3 dogs, 2 cats.  Just a few years to debt free! 

We're also debating moving overseas in a few years, as he can get a job transfer which would allow us to see the world and maximize savings at the same time.  He already draws VA disability and military pension, and in 12 years will be able to draw on a government pension.  In the meantime we're prepping by streamlining our possessions and readying our house either for locking up or selling, whichever makes the most sense when it's time to go.  So we're working both ends - earn more, and spend less - because we want travel to be our first priority!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #481 on: March 27, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
Howdy.  I'm 37, hubby is 45.  I work in behavior health, he works for the government.  Our kids are 25 and 18, neither lives with us.  3 dogs, 2 cats.  Just a few years to debt free! 

Tell me you did not have a kid when you were 12?

Ms. Doodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Doodles and Cents
« Reply #482 on: March 28, 2013, 07:54:35 AM »
Hi All,

Ms. D here, a 32-ish debt-free Houstonian DINK.  Been a forum lurker to gather tips, insights, and entertainment.  Let's just say, MMM jumped start my enthusiasm for FI early this year.  And there's no turning back!

Mr. D and I plan to venture overseas in two to three years for possibly years of pleasure, business, and adventure.  The Mustachian philosophy is instrumental in our goal.   Armed with kitchen experiments, decluttering accumulated "stuff', a less consumerist mindset, and an appreciation for the simplest things, our quality of life has taken an upturn.  Who would've thought financial planning is fun? 

-  Ms. D

BlueBird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #483 on: March 28, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »
Hi friends,

I'm 32, in public health, and from the DC area.  My husband is 38 and active duty military.  He has just over 20 years in and we're planning military retirement in the next 1-3 years, but for now they have us living in the wild, wild west. We have a daughter who is 19 and off at school.  Before anyone does the math on that, I'm wife and mom version 2.0 and so not her bio-mom (but she is very much mine). 

We're fairly naturally frugal about most things, although we've made our share of mistakes.  We realized pretty early on that although I'm very employable, we needed to not count on my income at all since the military moves us whenever and whereever they please.  Sometime last year it occured to me that we could probably retire "for real" shortly after my husband retired from the military.  At that point we figured it would take 10-15 years after that.  Having found MMM, we're not projecting full retirement in 5-6 years, which we're thrilled about! 

Anyway, I just finished up readying all of the blog posts and thought I'd mosey on over here. Looking forward to "meeting" you all.

superheropunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • former credit addict
« Reply #484 on: March 28, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »
Hi!

StrangeWool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #485 on: March 29, 2013, 08:51:20 AM »
Howdy,
I'm a 37 year dude in Houston, married (wife 29) with a 1yo and another on the way (around September).  I've been lurking since last October or so, and I can see things really started to move in the right direction since then.  I don't have a ton of debt ~$12,000 @3.25%, but I also have very little savings ~$15,000.  I am starting very late--and really--I'm just hoping to retire comfortably on time.

I've been facepunching my self on a regular basis thanks to you good folks, and I look forward to some more!  I might even muster up the strength to start a journal sometime soon.

Jessica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #486 on: March 29, 2013, 09:00:48 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm 33 and just getting started on working towards FI.  Up until about a year ago I figured I'd do like everyone else does - work forever, buy stuff, groan about Mondays, etc. I really want to escape that and I'm here to learn more and get the ball rolling!  Currently I'm mostly debt free, except for the dreaded car loan <shame> so task one is eliminating that stupid bill.  Next up: growing the stash!  Cheers all.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #487 on: April 03, 2013, 05:23:11 AM »
Hi everyone, I've been reading the MMM blog and forum for awhile now, finally registered for an account. I've always been frugal but reading blogs/forums keep me inspired and motivated!

Jenga

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #488 on: April 03, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »
I'm Jenga.  I'm 37, and the Official Bank Of The Extended Family, which has made saving for retirement difficult.  I've been working on finding a better balance on that, and will soon  have my only debt, a loan I co-signed, paid off! 

I've been reading MMM for quite some time, and thought I'd make an account today, as I often wish there were someone as fascinated with this stuff as I am to talk to.   The next goal is to get to Financial Independence/Early Retirement as soon as possible. 

I hate biking, which perhaps makes me out of place here, but I walk pretty much everywhere, so hopefully that is sufficiently mustachian. :D

Jenga

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #489 on: April 04, 2013, 08:08:03 AM »
One of my first actions once I decided to ER in the immediate term was to announce to all family members that the Official Bank of The Extended Family everyone thought I was running was closing down for business at the end of 2012. So far, so good and that act alone has saved me around $8K pa of expenses.   

It really does make a surprising amount of difference!  LOL

MikeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #490 on: April 04, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
Hi, I'm 37 and have been reading the blog and the forums since a friend posted the link to the savings rate vs time to retirement post on FB. I've been spending more time on the forums lately so I finally signed up. My wife and I have always been fairly mustachian. Even before our daughter arrived a few years ago, we kept expenses fairly low, we paid off our mortgage in about 6 years and had started accumulating a decent 'stache. This has allowed her to be a SAHM home until our daughter starts school next year.

ER was always a goal of ours but reading here has just accelerated that desire. Our savings rate is relatively low now that we're on the single salary (10-15%) but will go way up when DW returns to work.

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #491 on: April 04, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
I love to hear about new people to the forum, and to MMM!  Welcome.  Good luck to your family.  Keep going the way you are, enjoy life, and each other!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #492 on: April 04, 2013, 11:19:21 PM »
Hi, I'm 38 (from the US), and met The Man (44, from the UK) in a bar in S.Korea ten years ago. Your forums have been a welcome kick-in-the-ass to get me out of some bad habits! Also the hedonism creep that tends to happen towards middle age.

We've done lots of things in a lot of places, mostly in the Asia-Pacific region. Now we're slowing down and taking stock of the future. After years of financial ups-and-downs depending on different currencies and careers, we're looking at ways to deal with/maximize our finances internationally. We're not really into ER, more into making the most of what we have already, and how to build a stache that will work for us wherever we live.

Based in Beijing. For now.

Suze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #493 on: April 05, 2013, 07:49:51 PM »
Hi All,

I'm a public servant in my late twenties and am just over a year into my first 'real' job after finishing up nearly a decade of university study. Late last year I bought my first home, a small apartment 6km from work - perfect riding distance. My current plan is to pay off my mortgage in under ten years although I am still figuring out how and when I'll be able to achieve FI. While I was already sensible with money, MMM has given me the motivation and ideas to get seriously frugal!

Looking forward to spending time in the community and getting some great ideas from other MMM readers.

Freda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #494 on: April 08, 2013, 01:03:32 PM »

Tell me you did not have a kid when you were 12?

He has a child, 25.  I have a child, 18.  We have no children together.

Lord Cashmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #495 on: April 11, 2013, 01:14:44 AM »
Hello my fellow Mustacians!

I've been waiting for the perfect time to pop up and introduce myself for a short while now. Don't let the alias fool you! Despite appearances, really don't have delusions of grandeur relating to some form of aristocracy or some longing to live a Downton Abbeyesque existance... (ok, perhaps I would actually love to live the "Downton" life... but that's a conversation for later!)

I'm a recent adopter (but not yet a total convert) to Mustachianism. I'm 27, living alone in the beautiful Emerald city. Through certain life circumstances, I attended college a tad late and, via the same circumstances, ended up shouldering the entire cost of my education myself. After the dust had settled, I had a student loan bill totaling $55,000.00 tacked on the back of my degree... Fifty grand! I wasn't shocked by this though as I knew what I was getting into. Far from the relaxed college experience of sleeping in, red solo cup-laden dorm parties and afternoons spent lounging on the freshly-cut grass of The Quad, my college experience entailed 16+ credit hours each term, a job of some sort, an internship of some sort, volunteering of some sort and maybe, just maybe if I was lucky, a chance for a little downtime here and there. I went to school for Advertising and Graphic Design...

I can already hear the muttering from you all...! "Advertising?! You mean you have a career solely supported by persuading maxed out consumers into giving up yet more of their unused credit card balances? That is terribly un-Mustachian!" Well... That too is a story for another time. Long-story short, I was so ravenous, so completely focused on doing the best work that I could that when I did graduate in 2009 a full 2-terms early, my career exploded. I went from making $21,000 at my college job to $52,000 at the one that immediately followed. Then, after a layoff, a move across country with only my savings as a backup and a year and a half of job ambiguity and contract work, began working for a large, Seattle-based internet company with a starting salary of $95,000. Success! My ship has come in! Time to crack open the bubbly and take a nice deep drag on that cigar! ... right?

Not exactly. You see, I did mention that I was only a fairly recent convert to Mustachianism. And the trigger-point that tipped me towards the side of the 'stache? Parking receipts. I was sitting in traffic. Not ordinary traffic either; we're talking 'Seattle' traffic. The kind of traffic that just doesn't move for what feels like decades because at some intersection far beyond the horizon line, a bridge might be up. Or someone failed to merge correctly and are now blocking two lanes of traffic instead of neatly staying single file. I digress! So I'm sitting in traffic. Its the end of the week, I'm tired, It's cold and rainy out and my car is filthy. Well, not filthy, just littered with tons of little paper parking receipts. Each one had $15.65 on it... So I'm sitting in traffic, not moving, idling away the tank of premium gas. Then it hit me. How much did I spend on parking last year total..? I certainly drove to work a lot.. When I got home I started doing the maths...

$3800+ on parking alone.

I kept looking at the number and just wanted to vomit. But I didn't stop there. I added up the interest paid on my student loans.

$3741.31 just on student loan interest.

But it didn't stop there. Let's not forget the cash spent eating out at lunch everyday. Or too many take-out dinners, or the gym membership that I never used because it was too far out of my way, or the gas I burned going absolutely nowhere, or the loan interest on my credit card debts, or the cable TV I was never able to watch because I'm stuck in friggen traffic, or any of the other countless things that I was literally throwing my money at for absolutely no good reason! I felt sick, like I had been punched in the face by some stupid clown who laughed annoyingly and scampered off joyously with thousands of dollars of my hard-earned money, only the clown was me... it was ME! I was in shock for days, and after that, I decided to make a permanent change.

Enter the Badassity: I may be a new, converting Mustachian, but these are some of the things that I've done to make that shift happen.
- Started biking the 2-miles to work (yes, I spent all that money parking my car in a pay lot that was only 2 miles away from my apartment. Story on that insanity later.)
- Put my entire first-year hiring bonus ($7,000) towards credit card debt. (So long 19.99% and 17.99% interest rates!)
- Cutback on my eating out by learning how to cook -food- food.
- Balanced transferred some other $2,200 from a card with 17.99% interest to one with 5%.
- Up-ed debt payments from just a bit more than the minimum to about $2500 a month.
- Put the car to sleep, except on weekends. (Total drive-time has fallen waaaay down).

Dropping about $10,000 on my debts immediately after I received my first paycheck from my new job was an amazingly cathartic experience. I had broken out of what was "normal", since "normal" was living my life as wastefully as I had been. As I saw those high-interest balances incinerated by the sheer scale of the initial blast of money I unleashed upon them, something had changed within me. Now, all I see are areas for improvement and I'm looking forward to the journey ahead.

I can't wait to share more of my experiences, from the very big events such as quitting commuting by car cold-turkey, to the very small ones, like repairing my flip flops with an old bike inner-tube. Being amongst people who are encouraging of the process as I strip the idiocy from my life to become my alter ego, Lord Cashmoney is exciting, and I can't wait to see what I continue to learn from such an awesome group of people as this.

Damn it's good to be here! :)

~ Lord Cashmoney

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #496 on: April 11, 2013, 02:45:08 AM »
Great intro post, and welcome!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #497 on: April 12, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
Hi all!  I'm married, 31, and my husband is 34.  We make great money but spend way too much of it, and I'm looking to change that as soon as possible.  I've already cancelled my cable ($130/month) and my CrossFit membership ($175/month) and I started biking the 5 mile round trip to work.  (Previously I was walking to public transportation, so I wasn't driving, but I also wasn't getting the exercise of a bike.)  My husband recently transferred to a closer office and now walks to work, so we rarely drive our one car.  (2007 Subaru Outback.)  I'm looking forward to implementing more changes to get as mustachian as possible ASAP.

I have a background in fashion and it's all too easy for me to get sucked into gorgeous clothes and shoes.  That's my biggest spending temptation, aside from eating out.  My husband's only temptation is eating out, so clearly that's one category where we can get into big trouble. 

I'm excited to be a part of the forum!

Lord Cashmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #498 on: April 13, 2013, 09:37:31 AM »
My husband's only temptation is eating out, so clearly that's one category where we can get into big trouble. 

Welcome, Olivia! I can completely relate to the eating out thing. Before my recent and increasing conversion to Mustachianism, I to would eat out for just about every meal except breakfast... and sometimes even that too! Just in the last year, that resulted in about $5000+ in money that I'll never, ever,ever see again. I'm only just now starting to turn that around.

What part of the fashion industry do you work in? Being in the advertising world, I know how easy it can be to get into the habit of just "having" the latest stuff just... because! I'd love to see how you and I both turn careers in these most-unmustachian industries into ones that work better for us both.

Welcome to the forum!

~ Lord Cashmoney

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #499 on: April 13, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »
My husband's only temptation is eating out, so clearly that's one category where we can get into big trouble. 

Welcome, Olivia! I can completely relate to the eating out thing. Before my recent and increasing conversion to Mustachianism, I to would eat out for just about every meal except breakfast... and sometimes even that too! Just in the last year, that resulted in about $5000+ in money that I'll never, ever,ever see again. I'm only just now starting to turn that around.

What part of the fashion industry do you work in? Being in the advertising world, I know how easy it can be to get into the habit of just "having" the latest stuff just... because! I'd love to see how you and I both turn careers in these most-unmustachian industries into ones that work better for us both.

Welcome to the forum!

~ Lord Cashmoney

Thanks for the welcome!  We spend a ridiculous amount on food too!  We've cut back considerably but it's still more than it should be.  (Like at least twice as much as it should be...YIKES.)

I used to be a buyer for a clothing boutique for about 7 years, but I'm actually in a totally different field now.  When the economy tanked and my hours got cut back considerably, I took that as a sign to move on!  Since then I've worked in biomedical research, so basically the opposite of fashion. 

As soon as I left I stopped spending a ridiculous amount of money on clothing!  Being surrounded by stuff is definitely not helpful for not spending.  Hopefully you can work on accounts for ugly stuff?  :P