Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 2512276 times)

Morning Glory

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #4200 on: January 15, 2021, 06:47:51 AM »
Welcome @Lomonossov and congratulations on your impending marriage. The Spanish Mediterranean coast sounds like a great place to retire!!!

Welcome @JimJammer . The journals are a great place to track your frugal progress!

The Frugal Expat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Expat
« Reply #4201 on: January 17, 2021, 11:51:03 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Steve. I am an 34 year old American Expat living in Taiwan as an English Teacher. My wife and I are working hard on achieving Financial Independence. In the process, I am learning about finances, teaching finances to friends and family, and living an enjoyable life in Taiwan.

It is to be a part of this forum.

RWTL

• Bristles
« Reply #4202 on: January 29, 2021, 03:23:50 AM »
Welcome The Frugal Expat!

jsb321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4203 on: February 02, 2021, 07:04:16 PM »
Hey everyone.

My wife and I got married in 2020 and have really been diving into our finances.  I have always had a longing for retiring early, and recently got her hooked through reading "Playing with FIRE".  Since then we have been going through YouTube videos, books, blogs, and the MMM community.

We are both roughly 30 (29 & 31) and have steady jobs that together total around $88,000.  She is working into an education pension, while I have been utilizing a 401k.  Currently my 401k has $46,000, my Roth IRA has $35,000, and her Roth has $2,700.  We have $8,000 of a car loan (3.5%), and around $12,000 in federal student loans that are comparable in interest and currently a non-issue with the current pandemic relief efforts.

While we roughly have set a barely informed goal of me retiring at 45, we are also in the process of trying to find a home.  We currently rent a 1 bedroom apartment we are happy with in a city we love, and are not having children.  Currently we have $10,000 set aside specifically for a down payment, as well as $4,500 set aside to either fill her 2020 Roth IRA or something else (pay down car, save for down payment, something else that's likely smart).  Recently we were pre-approved for upwards of $320,000 at 3% interest and 3% down, although we're realistically looking at the $200,000 range.

With all that being said, we are glad to join in on the community!  We are already thrilled with all the information we have found and are looking forward to continued collaboration.  Thanks in advance for any pointers on what direction we may want to turn towards.  We're currently taking a long look into the Order of Investments post.  Take care everyone!

AMStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4204 on: February 02, 2021, 07:57:09 PM »
Hello,

I am a long time lurker.  My husband and I are mid 50ís with a 20 year old son in college and a developmentally disabled 18 year old daughter at home.  My husband has stayed home for the past 17 years to care for our daughter.  We have around $4M saved for retirement and for our daughterís care as she ages.

Her medical care runs around $200k per year and we are extremely fortunate that my employer completely covers it.  They self insure health care for their employees.  So I suppose I will be employed as long as possible so that my daughter can go as long as possible before relying on Medicaid.  I am pretty frugal and have had a tough time getting my husband on board.  I suppose we balance each other out. 😊. 

I am interested in investing topics, and anything related to food!  I look forward to getting to know you!

GremlinBrawler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4205 on: February 08, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to say hi. I discovered the MMM blog today and I'm blown away already. Something about the positive way it is written really affected me. I started to get emotional (a very rare occurrence for me) at the end of the post about not ordering pizza.

I downloaded the app right away so I could sign up for the forums. I feel so blessed to have discovered this blog and forum and I can't wait to get to know this community.

-GremlinBrawler

SterlingArcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4206 on: February 10, 2021, 02:28:41 PM »
I am Sterling Archer, the world's greatest secret agent. My missions have taken me to many dangerous places, but my latest mission is the most dangerous of all. In the course of this mission, I will risk retirement. Permanently.

While I normally work best alone (reports of my teamwork are greatly exaggerated), I look forward to exchange ideas, tales and successes with all of you!

bearcat1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4207 on: February 17, 2021, 07:42:25 AM »
Hi all,
Longtime lurker on the forums, decided it's time I create an account and maybe even post a few questions if I'm brave. I've learned a lot just from reading but am not nearly as advanced as many. No FIRE date or anything! I just come from a frugal family, have continued to be frugal as an adult, and stumbled on this blog a few years ago and thought it might actually work for me.
I'm a 38yo female, no dependents yet, but I know my currently-low expenses would go up quite a bit if I had kids and whenever I someday buy a house. So that's more in my nearer-term planning.
Glad to be here!

fraylock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4208 on: February 17, 2021, 02:21:19 PM »
Hello Mustachians!

34yo primary care physician here, and it's a pleasure to join.  Like others, I am inspired by the path to FI(RE?).  There are so many fascinating things to see and do in the world and FI would seem to open the door to many of them.  Glad to become a part of this community.

WesternAugust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4209 on: February 21, 2021, 03:02:04 PM »
Hello everyone!

DW and I are early/mid 40ís and have been making plans for early retirement since our early 30ís. We are at a point where we are comfortable with our plan and think we are within 5 years of pulling the plug. We are actually starting to make some semi-major life decisions in preparation for the transition which is very exciting for us.

Our biggest single consideration is our daughter, who was born with a rare genetic disease.
Due to her health issues she will always require round-the-clock care so our FIRE plans include being her long-term caregivers. This has caused us to revise our FIRE numbers a few times, adding a few years and increased savings goals. We feel pretty comfortable when we retire we will have the resources to make sure her health and financial needs can be met which has been our biggest hurdle in our FIRE journey.