Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 1222824 times)

happyuk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3850 on: January 01, 2019, 02:40:37 PM »
Hi Andy here.  I'm a software developer based in the UK.  I'm a keen gardener, almost reaching the stage where I am fully self-sufficient in potatoes, onions and legumes and a few other staples.  Steadily working my way out of the wage-slave treadmill to go and do something where I can feel like my actual livelihood is in my own hands. 

Very heavily influenced by the author John Seymour who was eminent in the back-to-the-land movement in the UK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Seymour_(author)

I heartily recommend his book "The fat of the land" for anyone interested in self-sufficiency.

george_michael

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Embrace the new, always.
« Reply #3851 on: January 01, 2019, 06:45:10 PM »
I am really hardcore software engineer and workaholic (married;), who had to jumped out of office cubicle (head of r&d, lead, senior) straight to the self employment. Until 2016 I was fighting the world, the government, the corporation, and my boss, until realized that I need just let the world work for me via the financial assets. Learning US stock market and becoming a top rated freelancer were the first steps to make. (I was sooo excited to know that six figure salary is much easier to make for me being an independent freelancer, not part of any corporation, participating to cool IT startups from time to time.) Now my 5 year goal is becoming FIRE and aquiring rental properties outside of my country. Of coarse I am not going to stop working even after that, just decrease number oh workhours from 70hrs a week to 25hrs a week:)
I really enjoy a lot of things... beat making, playing keys, piano, arranging music, air and firearm range shooting, pc gaming.
By the way my annual cost of frugal living of my family is $25k ... life is expensive in large cities even here.
I am soo glad to find a FI community, and happy to become a part of it.
I wish everyone of you to reach your goals and live the life you dream of

Hey Dreaktor, I am obsessed with soft enggs. They keep making me amazed how they make everything, from nothing. Great to see you here buddy, and of course it gave me a lot pleasure hearing you are enlightening your own path, by doing work for yourself - not for an ostentatious boss. I love being self-employed.

Welcome :)

dreaktor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3852 on: January 02, 2019, 05:51:02 AM »
I am really hardcore software engineer and workaholic (married;), who had to jumped out of office cubicle (head of r&d, lead, senior) straight to the self employment. Until 2016 I was fighting the world, the government, the corporation, and my boss, until realized that I need just let the world work for me via the financial assets. Learning US stock market and becoming a top rated freelancer were the first steps to make. (I was sooo excited to know that six figure salary is much easier to make for me being an independent freelancer, not part of any corporation, participating to cool IT startups from time to time.) Now my 5 year goal is becoming FIRE and aquiring rental properties outside of my country. Of coarse I am not going to stop working even after that, just decrease number oh workhours from 70hrs a week to 25hrs a week:)
I really enjoy a lot of things... beat making, playing keys, piano, arranging music, air and firearm range shooting, pc gaming.
By the way my annual cost of frugal living of my family is $25k ... life is expensive in large cities even here.
I am soo glad to find a FI community, and happy to become a part of it.
I wish everyone of you to reach your goals and live the life you dream of

Hey Dreaktor, I am obsessed with soft enggs. They keep making me amazed how they make everything, from nothing. Great to see you here buddy, and of course it gave me a lot pleasure hearing you are enlightening your own path, by doing work for yourself - not for an ostentatious boss. I love being self-employed.

Welcome :)

Hey Mike, thank you for warm welcome. Yeah, people of my profession can magically bring ideas to life straight from their heads (computer and the head itself still required though). However this path is not without downsides, you have to sacrifice the significant portion of your life to the world of computers, most probably from teen age. And by the way not my occupation has turned out the most important choice. The decision to become independent of boss and work for myself turned out a real life changer...

Swiss Mustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Diary of a Swiss Mustachian
« Reply #3853 on: January 06, 2019, 02:03:49 AM »
Hi, I'm a fellow Mustachian from Basel, Switzerland. I'm a long-time reader and have been practicing badassity on my own for quite some time ;) I have been a startup founder for the past 10 years and have since retired from that game. These days, I'm mostly a value investor and writer. I'm inspired by books, innovation and stoicism.

I have recently recovered from a weak moment where I almost bought a Tesla Model S but MMM wisdom saved me just in time :)

Any other Mustachians from Switzerland here?

SBee12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3854 on: January 06, 2019, 08:57:19 AM »
New here-  found MMM through some family biking podcasts.  Binged the blog,  and love the ideas.  I'm in Alberta Canada, with a spouse, 3 kids and 2 big mutts.

We ran into some major financial issues a couple years ago when the economy tanked and both our businesses suffered,  so we picked up and moved,  found new jobs and are trying to dig our way out of the hole we dug with bad (aka no) planning.  We've always talked about retiring early,  but then spent everything we made.  Time to get serious now.  Thanks for reading this.

Annie101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3855 on: January 07, 2019, 02:15:45 PM »
Hi, I just discovered this movement a few months ago by reading Your Money or Your Life.  I have learned many great ideas from reading the blogs and forum posts.

Just in the past couple months, I have made a few changes:
-I went from buying lunch every day at work to almost never.  To do so, I am cooking an extra meal on Mondays to use in my lunches
-I joined the coffee club at work.  Instead of $2.26 per day at starbucks it is $20 every 2-3 months
-We shaved off 4.5 miles of driving each work day by switching buses.  We don't drive to the park and ride anymore.
-I opened a 457 account and started contributing

Looking forward to finding more ways to save!

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3856 on: January 08, 2019, 05:31:05 AM »
Hi, I just discovered this movement a few months ago by reading Your Money or Your Life.  I have learned many great ideas from reading the blogs and forum posts.

Just in the past couple months, I have made a few changes:
-I went from buying lunch every day at work to almost never.  To do so, I am cooking an extra meal on Mondays to use in my lunches
-I joined the coffee club at work.  Instead of $2.26 per day at starbucks it is $20 every 2-3 months
-We shaved off 4.5 miles of driving each work day by switching buses.  We don't drive to the park and ride anymore.
-I opened a 457 account and started contributing

Looking forward to finding more ways to save!

Those are some AWESOME changes!!  :)

DadJokes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3857 on: January 09, 2019, 08:24:04 AM »
Hello!

I am a 31 year-old auditor and feel like I am getting a late start on this process, but it is better late than never.

I have previously been on the Dave Ramsey plan, but a former manager who, on the week before she retired, suggested MMM to me. After a few weeks, I decided to check it out and have since read through a lot of the articles and have loved it.

jps

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3858 on: January 10, 2019, 05:11:43 PM »
Hi everybody!

Long time lurker who just made an account to begin participating.

Wife and I originally got introduced to Dave Ramsey stuff over a year ago, and then I realized we were a little bit beyond his "beginner" approach to PF. I found MMM maybe six months ago and have been reading since then. So far, we have started:
  • Walking as much as we can, especially to the grocery store/church
  • Riding the bus together to work (bonus: both of us get a free bus pass through our work)
  • Eating less meat and finding new delicious recipes to make at home (lowered our already low eating out budget)
  • Most importantly, we have been really enjoying our newfound frugal skills and tricks and finding it a very satisfying way to approach life

joho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3859 on: January 11, 2019, 08:58:45 AM »
Just saying hello.

I have a long way to go, but am so turned off by Dave Ramsey's politicking that I thought I'd start reading this site.
Though Dave has some good, basic ideas that are practical, there is a lot of built-in nonsense.

Mostly lurking, de-debting, saving, and trying to get on track.

I just turned 57 so "early" retirement isn't on the books, but in my situation "retirement" would be a nice idea.

Thanks!

Rob from Canada

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3860 on: January 13, 2019, 07:49:23 AM »
Hi everyone! Super excited to be part of this forum, I have been reading and watching MMM for three years now. My girlfriend is fully retired at 54, I am semi-retired and very close to pulling the trigger at 55.

MMM was my girlfriend's inspiration to quit a job that was so freaking stressful and MMM has given me the confidence work a lot less and to eventually make every day a Saturday for the rest of my life!!

Super excited!!!!!

Weri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3861 on: January 15, 2019, 03:03:36 AM »
Hi comunnity, I'm from Clifton, NJ.
My name is Jack...i'm 34..
I am a single...but I have a dog)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:33:29 AM by Weri »

Triple7Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3862 on: January 15, 2019, 07:59:49 PM »
Hello All

My name is Steven and I'm a 27 year old out of Sacramento, CA, USA.  Recently heard about MMM after plowing through the entire Radical Personal Finance Podcast.  I've read from the MMM first post to about April 2013ish.  Been implementing some basic MMM tactics and thought it would be best to thrust myself into the community to hopefully get torn apart so I can rebuild in a more frugal manner :)

SeanTash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3863 on: January 16, 2019, 04:39:09 AM »
Hi. I'm Sean. Yet Another Software Engineer!
I've been living in Australia for the last 10 years, but have spent significant time in the U.S. and Europe (working) and most places (travelling).
Today, I pulled the trigger and gave in my 4 weeks notice (yay!) after 7 years in this last gig.
Hitting send on that email felt soooooooo good!
Looking forward to some extended travel, a bit of volunteering, some teaching english (don't tell the IRP) and whatever else I feel like doing in the coming months and years :)

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3864 on: January 16, 2019, 06:48:00 AM »
Congratulations!!!

50ShadesOfStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3865 on: January 16, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »
Hi, another engineer here. Been lurking around the blog and forms for years. I discovered MMM in collage while researching how to live out of my car after having gone into sticker shock from apartment prices in the Bay Area, CA. Unfortunately my grand plans to be a wealthy homeless engineer were ultimately foiled when my then girlfriend, now wife, said she would not be willing to live in a converted box truck. I have since got her to agree to a tiny house, and we are currently in the middle of building, so there's that.

I've always been a natural saver (read: Cheep Bastard), and got a reasonable introduction to financial literacy through Dave Ramsey at age 13. I graduated college broke, but with no debt. DW has two more years left in college, and will also have no debt.

Between the tiny house and DWs college, my savings rate is currently slim to non existent, but I have a stache of about $40K, so not to bad of a start for a 25 year old. Looking to be bare bones FI in 2027, and comfortably FIRE in year 2029, give or take a year depending on how things go.

Anyways, thought I'd finally say hi to y'all.

MicrowavablePudding

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3866 on: January 17, 2019, 12:14:46 AM »
Hi,

I'm MicrowavablePudding. I, too am an auditor and I currently live in Nevada. I'm 26 and am just now stumbling upon the FI/RE and MMM community.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit behind and I aim to pay off the remaining $20K I have in debt. As a result, over 45% of my take home pay is going towards debt. However, by this time next year, I'll be ready to start the FI clock.

I was hoping to get started sooner, but other than reducing my living expenses, I'm not sure how to get started on this path.

Until next time (or until someone says hello), I will continue to lurk and learn as much as I can :)

MissMuffins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3867 on: January 17, 2019, 07:13:17 PM »
Hi. I'm MissMuffins. I usually work as a food scientist specializing in bakery products. I also make a lot of baked goods at home. I have probably made more muffins than you will in your lifetime. One day I hope to make muffins just for fun instead of for work (and fun).

SuperNintendo Chalmers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3868 on: January 21, 2019, 07:27:36 AM »
Hello!

Well, I said that I wouldn't start posting in the community pages until I finished every MMM blog post.  Took me well over a year, but I did it!

I have been lurking in the forum for awhile and really appreciate all the good info and all the time people take to help others out.  Great group and hope I can contribute.

I'm married, in my 40s and doing ok but still have some ways to go.  Live in beautiful CO.

Glad to have finally joined!

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3869 on: January 21, 2019, 07:32:53 AM »
Hello!

Well, I said that I wouldn't start posting in the community pages until I finished every MMM blog post.  Took me well over a year, but I did it!

I have been lurking in the forum for awhile and really appreciate all the good info and all the time people take to help others out.  Great group and hope I can contribute.

I'm married, in my 40s and doing ok but still have some ways to go.  Live in beautiful CO.

Welcome! Your username is excellent.

SuperNintendo Chalmers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3870 on: January 21, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »
Hello!

Welcome! Your username is excellent.

Thanks!  :)

FreeBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3871 on: January 21, 2019, 06:13:14 PM »
I, along with DW, have been FIRE'd for 4 years and are now in our 50's.  In our former life, we were DINKS making good money in a HCOL flyover city.  From the rest of the world's viewpoint, we were frugal.  We each saved and invested 10-40% of our income for most of our professional lives. 

In the context of this forum, we are not especially Mustachian.  We'd like to change this, though.  After 4 years in retirement, we're realizing that we aren't getting full value for all the money we spend.  DW and I want to grow into true Bad Asses an cut habits that are unhealthy for our bodies and 'stache, such as eating out several times a week.

Overall, we love retirement.  Wish we did it a decade earlier!  I admire all you twenty-something young guns who are plotting to escape the rat race.  I wish that I had all the resources and encouragement that is now available online. IRL, it's still crickets...   Everyone we know just wants more expensive experiences and stuff.  Keep the faith, you can escape, just like we did, maybe even sooner!