Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 1035706 times)

PKate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3600 on: February 11, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »
Hi,  I am happy to find this place.  My DH and I are looking to get organized and be able to FIRE soon. While we are savers we are not organized and I am looking on how to make retiring early happen. 

We are on either side of 40 and while we don't have kids I have medical issues that make things more expensive but still doable for FIRE.  DH's current work contract is ending in a few weeks and we will be shifting to working part time so we can get organized, work on developing our tiny farm, and time for our hobbies. 

Jeff K

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • infiBudget
« Reply #3601 on: February 11, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
Hi, I'm Jeff and I'm pursuing FI in Vermont with my wife.  I've been reading the MMM blog for over a year now and looking to connect with others in the FI community!
Budgets can be better:

https://infibudget.com/

StealthFundip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3602 on: February 11, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm StealthFundip!  I'm a 21 year old from Wisconsin with a 2 year degree in Software Development, currently looking for a full-time position to truly get started on my path to FI.

Since first learning about MMM and early retirement, I've paid off both of my maxed out credit cards ($2700 combined) and finally have more than $50 in my savings account!

I read just about every post from MMM over the course of a month, and a few lurking suspicions I've had about money have been reinforced completely (For example, my 200 mile round trip commute is probably going to give most of you instant heart attacks!) 
One day I hope to have a cushy software development job within biking distance, and a garage full of all sorts of woodworking/welding tools so I can work on all sorts of projects in my free time. 

After I get enough to retire... I'm not sure yet.  Doing something to help with the exploration of space sounds pretty neat, but we'll see what happens along the way :)

FrugalOliphant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3603 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a 31 year old long-time lurker living in Knoxville, TN.  I've really enjoyed this community and am dipping my toe into the water on posting. 

My goals for this year are to pay off my car and save $15,000 in an emergency fund.  Then in 2019 I hope to max out my 401k and HSA, with additional money going to either an IRA or my student loan balance ($71,000!!).

Aswampdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3604 on: February 12, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
Hello, I am Swamp, living in San Diego county.  42 years in the Mortgage/Real Estate world.  Just found your site.

DreamFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3605 on: February 16, 2018, 09:48:58 PM »
I've been lurking on this site from time to time for years and have been soaking up info elsewhere online even longer.

I've been frugal and saving for many years just by my nature before I ever heard of any early retirement sites and have already built up a pretty good stash but hope to pick up some more useful tips here and there.

Despite my saving since a young age, I figured I would work until I was 67 - which is the normal retirement age for someone my age, but I'm now looking to retire in my 50's.

Livethedream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3606 on: February 17, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »
Hello from Northern California.

Found this site a while ago but life got crazy for a bit. Refocusing our FI and this site seems like a great place of likes minded people.

31m, married two kids. Duel incomes, looking to show our kids the world by homeschooling and having the FI to do it.

Richmond 2020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3607 on: February 17, 2018, 03:18:58 PM »
Hi everyone!

42 years old from Oz with wife and 2 young kids. If all goes to plan will retire in three years time at age 45.

Already shifted down to 4 days a week as wife has gone back to work full time.

WebbieOT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3608 on: February 18, 2018, 06:56:13 AM »
27 year old occupational therapist about 2 years now living in Miami. interested in FI since the beginning of this year.

started out at ~80K in grad school debt..down to 40K now since I've been working... 403b, roth IRA contributor.

ready to continue my road to FI..

trilliumshamrock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3609 on: February 18, 2018, 08:13:32 AM »
hey from the GTA,

early 20s Canadian, about to graduate this spring and excited to start putting these principles into reality and taking on investing, dealing with student loans, and following in the footsteps of MMM, ERE and reading the simple path to wealth by JL Collins!

mclements

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3610 on: February 21, 2018, 09:03:40 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Mike. I live in Miami, Florida. I am 48 and kicking myself I didn't find this way of living earlier!

jacquelynthomas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3611 on: February 23, 2018, 04:48:04 AM »
Hello Guys and Girls!
I am Jacquelyn Thomas, working in construction industry and love to talk to people. I am single and graduated a long time ago. Love to make new friends, talk to other people and know their stories.

grilledcheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3612 on: February 23, 2018, 07:47:28 AM »
Hi,

I'm grungebaby. 38 years old (I think?) and living in Canada. I somehow snagged an amazing guy and lucked out with two of the most amazing kids. As a family we love traveling, playing music, and just hanging out together. Life is crazy and chaotic for us right now, because we both work shift work and are juggling childcare on top of our kids' activities and social commitments. We dream of FIRE because we don't have time to work! Ha ha. Seriously though, FIRE means freedom for us and we cannot wait to have more time and energy to spend with our family and on our passions.

My husband has always been good with money, one of those kids who collected pop cans and saved every penny and put it toward his future down payment. I never had any money, but somehow avoided going into debt as an adult, aside from my student loans. We lived pretty frugally in our twenties, and went on to have a cheap wedding, and got a pretty good deal on a home in a fantastic neighborhood. We rented out half of our house for 10 years, and recently took over the whole house.

We've been extremely lucky, and made some good choices, but we still have so far to go on our path to FI. Since discovering MMM a couple of years ago, we started tracking our money and tried hard to lower our expenses. It's been a rocky road so far, with lots of not so great choices and weak moments, but we are still on the path and can't wait to reach FIRE. We don't have an exact date in mind yet, but we hope to reach FIRE in the next 5-10 years.

Anyways, that's a bit about me. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of the community.

maiyen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3613 on: February 23, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »
Hello, I'm maiyen. My hobbies include saving money, spending money, petting critters and eating.

eazyebeneezer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3614 on: February 23, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »
Hi. I'm a teacher in the Boston area who has always been dumfounded by my colleagues' lifestyles: big, expensive house in suburbs far from their work, two cars, tons of driving, always complaining about being busy. I live three miles from work and either bike or run my commute most days, rent an apartment in a cool neighborhood, do zero house maintenance, and travel every summer. I've always been frugal, as you might be able to tell from my username (my college nickname was Ebenezer) and proud of it. Since finding MMM, though, I have newfound purpose and strategies to make my dream of being free from working a reality. Thank you!!!!!

trmcph01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3615 on: February 25, 2018, 05:56:21 AM »
Hello everyone.  I'm Ryan, married with two beautiful girls.  Have been reading MMM for about a month due to a friend turning me on to the site.  Still have a way to go. 

MoStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3616 on: February 25, 2018, 12:34:12 PM »
I'm Mo, debt free and (after a recent promotion) finally maxing out our retirement accounts and IRAs but my spouse likes craft beer too much to be able to retire. We did something right as our millennial children both educated, employed, and debt-free besides mortgages. The only thing left to nag them about is grandchildren!

msfibidie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hoping to reach FI before I die
    • FI Before I Die
« Reply #3617 on: February 25, 2018, 08:28:57 PM »
Hi, everyone!

I'm Ms. Fibidie, another longtime lurker and first-time poster. I'm 47, a single mom, and just getting my life back on track (again). I've been a MMM reader for several years but have been pretty terrible at doing what I need to do to achieve FI. Recently I've gotten back on track though, and I'd really appreciate the support, ideas, and brilliant observations of MMM readers here. You all are amazing inspiration for really going for it.

I have $60k in a 401(k) and am another $50k in debt to my 401(k). Long, stupid story, but I'm eager to get on with it before I'm too old to enjoy myself.

Looking forward to contributing what I can!
Ms. Fibidie, just a middle-aged single mom blogging at "FI Before I Die" with an irreverent perspective on being late to the savings party. Also, there are orange trees.

Phiz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3618 on: February 25, 2018, 11:34:47 PM »
Hullo hullo

I'm Phiz from Singapore. One of the most expensive places in the world, but I get by. I'm here mostly to watch and learn, and worry about the fact that A) I would like to be a Mustachian, and B) I am also a big Apple geek. Learning to make do with my iPhone 7 for at least 2 more years.

I'm debt free (aside from an 88 dollar library fine which I keep meaning to clear), and I'm slowly building my savings. Eventually, I'll tackle the investing side of things, which may take a different path since, in Singapore, a 401(k) is called an SRS, and it may not be the same thing. So, wish me luck!

Oh, also, learn not to be smug if I do manage to be financially independent and my peers don't. Smugness is my pet peeve, and I'd really hate for me to add to it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:37:19 PM by Phiz »

kshforFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3619 on: February 26, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
Hello all - I'm KSH and I'm trying to learn all that I can about becoming financially independent. I feel like I have the basics down (no debt, saving 40% each month, contributing to retirement), but there's always more to learn.

I discovered the Money Mustache blog a couple of months ago, but just found about the forums. Looking forward to contribute to the community.

canuckiwi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3620 on: February 27, 2018, 04:15:59 PM »
Hi,
I am a New Zealander now living in coastal BC. Recently laid off from a Mega corp job, but a Mustachian lifestyle means I can now spend some time mountain biking, renovating my house and hanging out with my children (while I decide what my next job/ training might be).
I have learned a lot from the forums over the years, and am looking to share any wisdom I might have gathered along the way.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:51:56 PM by canuckiwi »

bpolson2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3621 on: February 28, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »
Hello all!

I'm a 43 year old teacher in the Midwest. Wish I would have learned about the MMM life sooner!

My details:

Married wife is an LPN. 2 kids aged 14 and 12.

Income - $103k combined

Assets:
403(b) - $58k
Roth IRA - $750 - Just started last year.
Wife's 401(k)  - $110k
Stock Account - $1,600 - Just started last month.
Home Equity - $43k
I also have a defined benefit plan through the state which will give me 75% of my salary after age 66.

Liabilites:
Student Loan - $7200 - $80/mo
Credit Card (yuk) - $10,200 - $350/mo
Car Loan - $2,800 - $300/mo (Will actually get this paid off next month! :o) Then will hammer credit card.
Home Mortgage - $111k - $716/mo PITI

My plan is to destroy that credit card debt within the year. Then aggressively load up my stock account with a mix of stock and bond index fund at 80/20 ratio. I'm also going to have a new driver in about 14 months as well that will need a vehicle to drive. I'm already searching through used car lots looking for something good yet reasonably priced.

Hopefully I'm making good decisions.  I plan on learning as much as I can through this site!

51cent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3622 on: February 28, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
Hello To All!

I'm an early 40's Husband and Father to 4 in NE Georgia.
I've been on a path to "FIRE" for most of my life, I just didn't have a name for it.  Then I realized there were all of you folks out there about 2 years ago.

I'm mostly involved in real estate investing and am getting closer to my goal of a 3 day work week in the near future I hope!

Look forward to learning more on the forums & sharing what I can.

dabighen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3623 on: March 01, 2018, 06:31:06 PM »
Hi All,

I'm Matt.  Live in NH.  33 years Old.  Wife and 4 kids. Facilities Planner and my wife is a teacher.

My family and I like finding creative ways to enjoy life without spending money.  Its a sport for me.  Combined income $120K.  Retirement 300K.  Owe $150 on the house.  $70K in taxable accounts.  $25K combined college savings.

Thanks,

Matt

Katie_Scarlett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3624 on: March 02, 2018, 01:17:23 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm in my early 30s living in South Korea but originally from the Philippines. I've always dreamed of financial independence but hasn't really taken any steps towards that until I had the opportunity to work overseas.

My goal is to be able to eventually diversify my investments overseas so as not be subject to my country's frankly fragile economic and political situation. I hope to pick up and share ideas with people with similar goals.

Rowing Investor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rowing Investor (blog)
« Reply #3625 on: March 02, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

I like to row and invest. One day I hope to be able to row full time (and no, the chance for becoming a professional rower was lost many years ago). Another - more realistic - goal is to become financially independent. Let's then see if I actually "retire" or continue working (potentially with something more rewarding from a non-financial sense).

I occasionally write a few lines on my blog (https://rowinginvestor.blogspot.com), on which I would like to increase the frequency of postings, without becoming too shallow.

I find this forum very interesting and useful. Thanks to all who take the time to share your wisdom.

Cheers.
Aiming for a healthy soul, body and wallet. A few words on my journey can be found on my little corner of the internet: https://rowinginvestor.blogspot.com

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3626 on: March 03, 2018, 12:36:28 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm in my early 30s living in South Korea but originally from the Philippines. I've always dreamed of financial independence but hasn't really taken any steps towards that until I had the opportunity to work overseas.

My goal is to be able to eventually diversify my investments overseas so as not be subject to my country's frankly fragile economic and political situation. I hope to pick up and share ideas with people with similar goals.

Welcome!

You should, if you haven't done so already, check out @Adventine 's journal and introduce yourself to her.  She's amazing!!  :)

Clarbr03

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3627 on: March 03, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
Hello!

About a 3-year reader, first-time forumer to MMM.

28 years old. Minnesotan Teacher.

Been socking away money for the last 3-4 years. Need to reduce some of my superfluous spending habits (I spend way too much money going to restaurants and drinking beer at breweries).

I have a pension through the state but "retiring" with full benefits is getting pushed farther and farther back. I believe now it's at 62. I would love to hit FIRE in my 40's and not have to work into my 60's to collect a full pension. Thanks to everyone posting their knowledge! Lots of great info on here.

ecomom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3628 on: March 04, 2018, 08:35:48 AM »
Hi, I'm Liz. I live in Seattle with my mustachian husband. We've reached FI and are under 35 but have yet to fully RE - but we've got it pretty good by reducing our hours to 3 days per week after having our first kid. Our second is on the way soon. Slowly since kid #1 happened and I've had some extra time, I've caught up on the blog all the way to the present.

Husband is considering early retirement next year but I always struggle with "what will you do?" when he says he won't take on more household responsibilities or desire to care for our kids yet. He vaguely says maybe volunteering and I think he'll figure it out, but I find the whole "finding meaning in life" piece to be the most mystifying and challenging piece of taking the leap. I don't want to just fill my time with Netflix or even just reading if I take the leap - I want to be sure I'm going to make a difference in a way that feels good; better than what I could do with the $$ I'd earn from just continuing to work part time.

I love my extra time with my kiddo yet also don't want to take on 24/7 childcare since it can be really tiring and I lose my patience at times. I have very green aspirations and volunteer part of my extra time in several local groups. I think if I were to convince myself that if I quit completely I would find a way to do a startup or personal effort that would really make a difference, particularly for climate change/the environment, I would do it. I love my job but it doesn't exactly contribute to "making the world greener".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:20:56 PM by ecomom »

jsap819

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3629 on: March 07, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Joseph and I'm 35. My wife recently gave birth to a healthy baby boy who is going to be 6 months next week. Our goal is to reach FI as soon as possible although we don't really have a timetable. I'm a chiropractor who owns my own practice and my wife is a pharmacist. We plan to save/invest enough money in the near future so that my wife can work part time or maybe even a SAHM. The goal for me is to continue growing my practice and eventually work part time while I hire another doctor to watch over my practice.

Our hobbies include traveling, hiking, cooking, and baking. I love to play golf and play as often as I can but have been finding it extremely difficult to find time due to our baby. We live in a HCOL in Southern California but we love the location as it has one of the best school districts in the area, walking distances to parks and shopping malls, 10-20 minute drive from our work, and live close to friends and family. Unfortunately, our piti is 70% of our monthly expenses. Thankfully, with our dual income, we are still saving over 50% of our take home pay after maxing out retirement space (401k/roth).

Looking forward to sharing more information with the wonderful people of this board and also hope to be able to contribute. I'm glad I can share my journey with people who have the same mindset as we do when it comes to finance.

Thanks!

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #3630 on: March 09, 2018, 01:04:49 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

I live in Long Beach, California. I'm 38 single, no kids. My 12yo Honda died four weeks ago and I bought a Civic. My plan is to be FIRE before this Honda is 12.

I look forward to getting to know you all better.

another saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • www.thatfrugalpharmacist.com
    • ThatFrugalPharmacist
« Reply #3631 on: March 10, 2018, 08:05:43 PM »
Hello!

I've been lurking the blog for a long time, but want to finally get my feet wet CONVERSING with some like minded people.

I'm 31, pharmacist located in Oregon.  I am married and my husband is "retired" since moving to Oregon 5 years ago, now a stay at home dad.  I'm working two jobs, one per diem and one about 30 hours a week, actually averaging close to full time (it deludes me in to thinking I only work part time not being stuck at the same place all the time).  Luckily, my husband was a tradesman and can do almost all of the work ever required around here (he keeps busy).

We have no debts.  Bought our 20 acre property but putting more than half down, and paying off the rest in a little over a year (I would have bought cash, but we didn't know what kind of expenses we might run into).  We own more vehicles that moustache standards would allow, but, driving is a necessity living where we do and having to (currently) commute for work.

I've got about 180K in my 401ks from various jobs.  23k in a IRAs for me.
My husband has about 25k in 401k and 30k in IRA.  We have about 25k in our HSA account.

That brings us to about 283k... another 5-10k in stocks (it fluctuates, I don't check).  We carry about 10k in our checking account.  Additionally I've got, in various betterment accounts (thanks Mr. Money Moustache for introducing me!), 21k in an emergency fund, 26k front loaded into an accountant in my name for my child's eventual school or...??? and 74k in a "build wealth" taxable account.

To sum it up, we save real well.  I estimate we have about 400-420k just in "cash" savings of various kinds, not accounting for vehicles, property etc.

I'm not really finding my job fulfilling.  It makes pretty good money, but there's not really any possibility to do any more than I'm doing (or anything different in my field, unless we move, and we aren't doing that). 

We hope to homeschool and I would like to travel (assuming we can find an arrangement that works and someone we trust to keep an eye on animals and the home while were gone).

A guestimate on MMM calculators is that we're about 6 years from financial independence.  I lean towards worst case in my numbers, so that's probably closer to 5 years.

I don't think I plan to stop working entirely, as in my field you need to keep in the game to stay on top of things.  But I'm hoping I can average working a day a week or so... but I would REALLY like to find other ways to use my training and background to generate more interesting income.

So, Hello!

DesertRatNomad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3632 on: March 12, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »
Hi,

I’m Austin.  I started reading ERE years ago but it was a bit...extreme.  When Jacob ‘passed the torch’ to MMM I realized this was something I could really do and really wanted. That was about 6 years ago.  In that time I’ve gone from basically zero net worth (but no debt thankfully) to completing (with a partner) 2 house flips and working my way up to about 50% savings rate...and am planning to start my first house hack in the Fall. Reading the (entire) blog has changed my life.

I currently live and teach on the Mississippi coast but will be moving to Hattiesburg soon.  I occasionally work on cars or motorcycles, check my Vanguard balance way too often, spend a few weeks each summer living in my truck in National Parks, and recreationally pick up heavy things.

chenell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Hustle to Startup
« Reply #3633 on: March 13, 2018, 02:59:13 AM »
Hello - Chenell from Philadelphia here!.  I decided it was time to make an intro :)
Current situation:

- 30 y/o, single
- ~$100k business income; what I pay myself varies as I have to keep the business afloat - generally around 40% of income but working to increase that
- Assets: 401k at $62k, 1 Roth IRA $2k, cash & brokerage totaling $20k, don't own a car
- Liabilities: $30k in student loans ($200 / mo minimum, paying $550 currently)

Short term goal:  Build up savings and retirement while balancing growing a business.

Long term goals:  1) pay off student loans 2) Buy first home

I'm excited to jump in and learn even more from this community :)
Digital marketing by day; documenting my entrepreneurial journey at hustletostartup.com by night. Trying to be financially responsible the whole time.

brookebcollin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3634 on: March 14, 2018, 02:34:15 AM »
Hello guys,

I'm Collin, love to learn things and share useful information with people!

ChocoBilly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3635 on: March 14, 2018, 07:43:56 AM »
Hi, I'm new. I'm 32 years old and live in a third world country. I have a 2 year old daughter and decided I should not leave her broke with no headstart in life like me. I have started saving money since Last month and have saved 6000 USD. I have no debts except a mortgage which is for a place I have rented out. I hope to be as successful as my fellow mustachians in here and am excited to reach my goals despite being in a third world country. Anyone willing to mentor me is welcome.

Sent from my Infinix X559 using Tapatalk

LateStarter27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3636 on: March 14, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
My user name is a bit of a misnomer.  27 is not my age - 2027 is my expected retirement date.  And it won't be early either!  DH and I are just finishing putting 4 kids through school and we are trying to reset our finances for a comfortable retirement.  Reading this forum has given us the courage to say "no" - although I am still having a hard time saying that to my kids!  I certainly don't regret the money we have spent on our children, but now is the time for us to make wise financial decisions.  I am hoping that it is never too late!

savvylawdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3637 on: March 15, 2018, 02:22:30 PM »
Hello everyone!

As my username indicates a persona that I've adored for some time. I am 37 years young with a gorgeous young wife and no kids at the moment. Looking forward to go part-time or take a long sabbatical from my day gig within 10years. I was introduced to MMM on the podcast OLD (Optimum Living Daily) and wish this was around 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. However, I am excited to have found this forum and will continue learn badassity to its fullest.

savvyforester

poodlepam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3638 on: March 19, 2018, 06:32:13 PM »
Hello. I am a long-time lurker who adores the MMM way and this forum. My husband and I have the savings part pretty much figured out but do not know how to make money work for me/us. We both came from dysfunctional families. Mine had no money sense, his was only work oriented. I hope to figure out this investing business and make our savings grow.

tomdrake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • MapleMoney
« Reply #3639 on: March 19, 2018, 11:05:41 PM »
Hi everyone, I first read MMM back in 2012, when this post came out... it was a big topic at FinCon that year, which I think was the same year I met Pete.

I'm a Canadian personal finance blogger that runs MapleMoney, Retire Happy, and Financial Highway (that one's US-focused).

Looking forward to chatting more on here and helping out where I can with any Canadian questions. If I don't see something here, feel free to reach out to me on Twitter at @TomDrakeCanada or @MapleMoneycom.
First read MMM in 2012, waited until 2018 to join the forum.  I'm a slow adopter.

Bene Gesserit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3640 on: March 20, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »
Hello everyone!

I've just registered, happy to join this  community!
I'm European, female, in my mid-30s. Have been lurking -  first the blog, then the forum for quite a while.

Love rational thinking spiced up with some humour!

jeniferwilliams

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Release My Super
« Reply #3641 on: March 21, 2018, 01:01:54 AM »
Hey
Hi everyone, I am Jenifer. I love adventures.

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3642 on: March 21, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »
I'm exit2019. 

This is my third post on the MMM forums.

I am new here and new to the FIRE community.

I only discovered MMM/FIRE a few weeks ago when telling a friend about my secret plan to escape work. He said, "you sound like those crazies who want to retire at 30 on $20k a year." 

What?

I had no idea such a thing existed.  Since this is the introduction thread, I will introduce myself by sharing something that I have never told anyone.

I graduated and started working my first professional engineering job in tech a few months before the dotcom crash.  I had expected that things would fall apart because it was obvious; what can't go on will not go on.  But still, the magnitude of things completely blew my mind.  Within months of moving to California, I was reeling from the collapse of the job market and the rapid rise of offshoring.  At the same time, the massive Indian bodyshops were making real inroads in the onshore low-cost engineering contracting in the companies everyone I knew worked for.  I was convinced that the entire career I'd invested so much in was about to go to zero; my boss told me that at their leadership offsite the CEO and CTO of the company had announced an India First strategy for all growth and replacement reqs going forward: no replacement in the US but 3:1 replacement rate for Bangalore and Chennai.  As a GenX it looked clear that social security would be gone.  Then Bush-Kerry and finally 9/11 happened.  The world was ending while I was working 10+ hours a day and weekends trying to avoid the swings of the layoff axe.

I'd stay up late after going to bed most nights working on trying to find a model for the future that I could work with to build some plan I could execute to get us to safety, about how my new wife and I would afford to live/eat/not become a burden on our parents if I got clipped in a layoff.  Then I'd be exhausted in the morning.

As a response to all of this, I put my wife and I on a severe financial diet and accumulated some cash.  Later, not long after 9/11, while trying to find something to educate myself about how to save for retirement, I came across a book called "Your Money or Your Life" on Amazon.  Over the next month or so I read it in secret at night when I couldn't sleep and my wife was asleep.  She was very worried and afraid - unlike me, her degree was not ever going to earn her a real living.  I avoided talking to my wife about my own fears: at least I was employed.

18 years later, I have a lot more grey hair.  While all of those things really did change the trajectory of the world around me, the fact that they happened also put me in a position where I started, bit by bit, to try and work towards controlling my own destiny.  I have been very, very hard working but also very fortunate.

Those other two posts I mentioned above: me posting in the 2019 FIRE cohort that I plan to join.

the_FI_engineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3643 on: March 23, 2018, 10:24:58 AM »
Hey everyone! Long time lurker coming out of the shadows. I'm the_FI_engineer!

I was exposed to MMM in late 2015, and that exposure really opened my eyes and gave me the kick in the pants to pursue FI. I knew within a year of starting my engineering career that I really wanted to live a different kind of life; working 50-60 hours a week for the next 40 years just doesn't sound all that appealing! Finding MMM showed me that it's possible to live a simpler, more independent life that really goes against the grain of our culture here in America, and I was hooked!

January 2016 marked the beginning of my journey to FI. That's when I started tracking my net worth, spending/savings rates, etc. I'm really thrilled with the progress I've made, as I've since more than doubled my net worth.

I will be getting married next year to a partner who has slowly become more interested in the FI lifestyle, thanks in part to advice I've gleaned from MMM! I've been a musician since middle school, and I went on to play guitar in several rock bands in my region. Guitar is my main outlet, but I also play drums and bass so I can create music on my own schedule at home! My passion for music is another driving force in my quest to achieve FI; I miss playing in live bands terribly. My career makes it difficult to be a reliable band member, and I'm eager to get back to that part of my life.

Right now, my hope is that I will reach FI in January of 2028 - 12 years after the start of my journey. I'm well on my way, and looking forward to getting to know everyone in the community and helping others where I can.

Later!

Arbit Trage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3644 on: March 25, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »
Hey ya'll,

I stumbled upon this forum last month and have learned quite a bit so far. My name is Josh and I live in western North Carolina. Just wanted to say hello and thanks for the community that has been built. I look forward to building up my stache!

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3645 on: March 25, 2018, 01:14:21 PM »
Hi, I'm Doug. 

xoxoseo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • international online campaigns
« Reply #3646 on: March 27, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
Hi, I am Oxana, currently living in Europe, an owner of online businesses

mtbbrown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3647 on: March 27, 2018, 11:20:21 AM »
Hi, I'm Travis. Currently a college student at NC State (Raleigh, NC) studying Business. Just figured out about the Money Mustache community and I'd really like to learn as much as I can about all of this. Looking forward to talking with you all a bit more later.

Travis

fluffyo1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3648 on: March 28, 2018, 02:34:35 AM »
Hi, I'm Yin. Female, late twenties. I switched careers after obtaining my first degree and now currently a new grad RN with a BSN. Starting to really think about my financial future and decided to focus on being FI. I currently have 10k in my savings, an old beat up 2006 car, and 33k in student loan debt. Currently unemployed but I should be able to find a job soon hopefully. I never liked how our society is so focused on materialistic possessions and I feel something is just inherently wrong about working 40+ years just to retire to finally "feel" free. And being in the health field, it pains me to see older adults who have worked hard all their life to end up in a hospital bed in the end. Lots of lessons learned from them. Anyways, I am very excited to start this journey.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #3649 on: March 30, 2018, 02:31:56 PM »

Welcome everybody. I've been around for about a year now, and this site has had a tremendous impact on my life; I hope it will have the same positive impact on yours.

Wishing you all the best!
Get a free stock and I get one too. (5 min sign-up Robinhood) https://goo.gl/ifD5Mj.

Participate in research studies (surveys), I do the studies during the year, and cash at Xmas time! (Enough to cover presents for my kids) https://www.prolific.ac/p?ref=KN1LG5ME