Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 836222 times)

Evildunk99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3600 on: February 07, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
Hello Mustachians!  Ryan from Conshohocken, PA here (just outside of Philly).  I've perused the blog like many of you and wanted to make an introduction.

Current situation:

- 31 y/o, recently married
- Dual incomes ($130k combined), no kids
- Assets:  $60k in home equity, 2 401k's totaling $40k, 1 Roth IRA totaling $30k, cash & brokerage totaling $40k, 2 used cars totaling $15k
- Liabilities:  $75k in student loans ($800 / mo), $140k mortgage ($890 PITI)

Short term goal:  Use cash + roth IRA to purchase 2nd home, and rent out the existing one.  Ideally before we have kids ~2020

Long term goals:  1) pay off student loans ASAP, 2) use 401k's to pay for children's future college expenses, 3) compound rental property expansion to retire within 15 years, 4) use excess cash to fund a fun small business during retirement.

salmo trutta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3601 on: February 09, 2018, 02:36:27 PM »
Long time lurker / first time poster. Really enjoy the blog and the ideas it generates.

I recently achieved my goal of being a millionaire by the age of 50 and embrace the FIRE concept, but more the FI for now and not the RE just yet... I am 100% debt free, saving several thousand dollars per month, and generally just enjoying life.

FI for me is simply living a stress-free and simple lifestyle without the tedious task of trying to rub a few nickels together to make something happen. I love my job and enjoy my clients and the relationships I have there, so getting up everyday and going to work is still something I get excited about. No "Monday Morning Blues"... I do plan to retire soon and have a good plan in place. More to come...

I am into life-hacks (counter culture, new ways of doing things, shooting sacred cows), cool tools, DIY everything, technology (I work in the industry), voracious reading, fly-fishing on a daily basis, and Jeeping. In between I enjoy a good IPA (or many good IPAs) and clean simple local foods. Oh, and don't fret my daily driver is mod'd Corolla @ 30+ mpg and a solid messenger bike!

Cheers all, here's to a great 2018!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:49:25 PM by salmo trutta »

SimplySueLoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3602 on: February 10, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »
Hi, I'm Sue. Back living near Milwaukee in my home state of Wisconsin after many years living in and traveling to places with more exciting geography.  It's super flat here.  I have 1 nice husband, 1 nice dog.

People have always called me cheap.  But for many years I've worked on ways to exchange expense for freedom. LOVE this forum!

I'm in my early 50s, and furtively trying to convince my early 60s hubby that YES, WE CAN RETIRE!  I routinely pull out excel spreadsheets for my "state of our union" pro-FIRE presentation.

Ideal retirement for us has:  much hiking, much travel, much time to tinker with fun and flexible extra income (or savings) ideas

Nice to meet you :)

PKate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3603 on: February 11, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »
Hi,  I am happy to find this place.  My DH and I are looking to get organized and be able to FIRE soon. While we are savers we are not organized and I am looking on how to make retiring early happen. 

We are on either side of 40 and while we don't have kids I have medical issues that make things more expensive but still doable for FIRE.  DH's current work contract is ending in a few weeks and we will be shifting to working part time so we can get organized, work on developing our tiny farm, and time for our hobbies. 

Jeff K

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • infiBudget
« Reply #3604 on: February 11, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
Hi, I'm Jeff and I'm pursuing FI in Vermont with my wife.  I've been reading the MMM blog for over a year now and looking to connect with others in the FI community!
Budgets can be better:

infibudget.wordpress.com

StealthFundip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3605 on: February 11, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm StealthFundip!  I'm a 21 year old from Wisconsin with a 2 year degree in Software Development, currently looking for a full-time position to truly get started on my path to FI.

Since first learning about MMM and early retirement, I've paid off both of my maxed out credit cards ($2700 combined) and finally have more than $50 in my savings account!

I read just about every post from MMM over the course of a month, and a few lurking suspicions I've had about money have been reinforced completely (For example, my 200 mile round trip commute is probably going to give most of you instant heart attacks!) 
One day I hope to have a cushy software development job within biking distance, and a garage full of all sorts of woodworking/welding tools so I can work on all sorts of projects in my free time. 

After I get enough to retire... I'm not sure yet.  Doing something to help with the exploration of space sounds pretty neat, but we'll see what happens along the way :)

FrugalOliphant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3606 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a 31 year old long-time lurker living in Knoxville, TN.  I've really enjoyed this community and am dipping my toe into the water on posting. 

My goals for this year are to pay off my car and save $15,000 in an emergency fund.  Then in 2019 I hope to max out my 401k and HSA, with additional money going to either an IRA or my student loan balance ($71,000!!).

Aswampdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3607 on: February 12, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
Hello, I am Swamp, living in San Diego county.  42 years in the Mortgage/Real Estate world.  Just found your site.

DreamFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3608 on: February 16, 2018, 09:48:58 PM »
I've been lurking on this site from time to time for years and have been soaking up info elsewhere online even longer.

I've been frugal and saving for many years just by my nature before I ever heard of any early retirement sites and have already built up a pretty good stash but hope to pick up some more useful tips here and there.

Despite my saving since a young age, I figured I would work until I was 67 - which is the normal retirement age for someone my age, but I'm now looking to retire in my 50's.

Livethedream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3609 on: February 17, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »
Hello from Northern California.

Found this site a while ago but life got crazy for a bit. Refocusing our FI and this site seems like a great place of likes minded people.

31m, married two kids. Duel incomes, looking to show our kids the world by homeschooling and having the FI to do it.

Richmond 2020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3610 on: February 17, 2018, 03:18:58 PM »
Hi everyone!

42 years old from Oz with wife and 2 young kids. If all goes to plan will retire in three years time at age 45.

Already shifted down to 4 days a week as wife has gone back to work full time.

WebbieOT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3611 on: February 18, 2018, 06:56:13 AM »
27 year old occupational therapist about 2 years now living in Miami. interested in FI since the beginning of this year.

started out at ~80K in grad school debt..down to 40K now since I've been working... 403b, roth IRA contributor.

ready to continue my road to FI..

trilliumshamrock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3612 on: February 18, 2018, 08:13:32 AM »
hey from the GTA,

early 20s Canadian, about to graduate this spring and excited to start putting these principles into reality and taking on investing, dealing with student loans, and following in the footsteps of MMM, ERE and reading the simple path to wealth by JL Collins!